Questions about GenCon 2008

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
As stated below:

The adventure 1 (and adventure 2) blurbs are done, approved, and ready to roll. Some of them, as shown in the first post of this thread, have been released already on local forums. As Chris said, things outside of his (and the RPGA's) control sometimes crop up. While I wish it wasn't the case that the RPGA is sometimes beholden to concerns and procedures of WotC and/or Hasbro, such is the nature of the beast. Communication can be that beast when you don't control the means of communication, or when you are specifically forbidden to communicate.

If anyone has questions, they can always post them here, and the rest of the LFR staff and I will make every attempt to answer to the best of our abilities.

Thanks,

Shawn
LFR Global Admin

Okay...here's mine...

What approximate date will WotC and the RPGA assign as their "drop dead" date for not going to GenCon? People who have reservations at hotels and flights would like to know this info so they can plan accordingly.

I'm not going to "hold you" to that date if other things arise...I understand...but its ridiculous to simply state that you're waiting on a resolution from the bankruptcy filing which isn't due to conclude until September.

Will RPGA and WotC be at GenCon this year? Yes or No?
All questions regarding GenCon and WotC (and by extension the RPGA) should be directed to WotC's customer service department. Here's the link: http://ww2.wizards.com/Company/info/default.aspx

You are asking on the Living Forgotten Realms board for an answer to a question that is only answerable by people way, way, way higher on the food chain than I, or really even anyone associated with the RPGA. Heck, I am not even really on the food chain. What is ridiculous and what isn't in this situation is far beyond my understanding.

I do know that I, and the rest of the LFR staff, are working diligently to have the best campaign possible ready to premiere in August 2008.

If you have any other questions that I can answer, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Shawn
LFR Global Admin
All questions regarding GenCon and WotC (and by extension the RPGA) should be directed to WotC's customer service department. Here's the link: http://ww2.wizards.com/Company/info/default.aspx

You are asking on the Living Forgotten Realms board for an answer to a question that is only answerable by people way, way, way higher on the food chain than I, or really even anyone associated with the RPGA. Heck, I am not even really on the food chain. What is ridiculous and what isn't in this situation is far beyond my understanding.

I do know that I, and the rest of the LFR staff, are working diligently to have the best campaign possible ready to premiere in August 2008.

Thanks,

Shawn
LFR Global Admin

Okay, fair enough...gotta ask to know.

Its just sad getting no real answer. No one's fault I guess, but hard to accept that I and a lot of other people may have spent money to try out a system that won't be there. Its gonna make it tough to go try it somewhere else later.

*sigh*

Thanks,

Shawn
LFR Global Admin

Alright Shawn, here is a question you can answer : Have you booked your travel, tickets, hotel room, etc for GenCon this year?

And if so ... did you pay for it yourself, or did WotC?
Alright Shawn, here is a question you can answer : Have you booked your travel, tickets, hotel room, etc for GenCon this year?

And if so ... did you pay for it yourself, or did WotC?

I have every intention of being at GenCon. Like all RPGA judges, if I judge a certain number of events, I can get free shared hotel room. And at most conventions, that's what I do.

However, my wife travels with me to GenCon most years, so we get our own hotel room at my own expense. So yes, I have my room booked and I got my vacation time approved from work months ago. It is cheaper for me to drive to GenCon than fly, so I drive. Again at my own expense.
but its ridiculous to simply state that you're waiting on a resolution from the bankruptcy filing which isn't due to conclude until September.

Maybe this is a nit...but maybe it's an important nit.

The "FAQ" that WotC Customer Service has been providing does not say that they're waiting for resolution of the bankruptcy filing:

Wizards’ plans relative to Gen Con are dependent on the course of proceedings in US bankruptcy court. While we hope to participate in Gen Con, we must await further proceedings in the bankruptcy matter before we are able to confirm our plans.

This suggests to me that there's some sort of milestone or interim step in the proceedings that WotC wants to see the results of.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
Maybe this is a nit...but maybe it's an important nit.

The "FAQ" that WotC Customer Service has been providing does not say that they're waiting for resolution of the bankruptcy filing:

This suggests to me that there's some sort of milestone or interim step in the proceedings that WotC wants to see the results of.

Sigh...here comes the pedantics again....

I know..I know...that's why I asked this question:

Yes, but while its great to get everyone's thoughts on why RPGA/WotC might not be telling us anything...where's the harm in saying...

"Hey...this is (fillin the blank)...we understand the frustration many of you are feeling regarding the abscence of RPGA sanctioned events at GenCon this year. Be assured, we are working on providing you prompt information regarding this situation as soon as its available. Right now, it looks like we may have an answer in early June (making that date up...no panics). However, should this date slip, I'll be glad to keep you informed as to the next available information release."

That's just basic customer service with no legal commitments or hassles. It just lets the customer know that their business is important, and they matter...with minimal effort from the company.

Where's the harm in that?

The date they put in that communication could easily be that process date you refer to...at least it would help those who are trying to decide about coming to GenCon or want to see if PAX is where they should get reservations.
I have a question for you Shawn, Is there a backup plan?

I would hate to see the RPGA delay the premier of LR till DDXP, just to get it at a big con.
Yes, but while its great to get everyone's thoughts on why RPGA/WotC might not be telling us anything...where's the harm in saying...

"Hey...this is (fillin the blank)...we understand the frustration many of you are feeling regarding the abscence of RPGA sanctioned events at GenCon this year. Be assured, we are working on providing you prompt information regarding this situation as soon as its available. Right now, it looks like we may have an answer in early June (making that date up...no panics). However, should this date slip, I'll be glad to keep you informed as to the next available information release."

That's just basic customer service with no legal commitments or hassles. It just lets the customer know that their business is important, and they matter...with minimal effort from the company.

Where's the harm in that?

My guess is (a) they don't want to be held to a particular date (you know how people here on this board react to a promised date being missed), and / or (b) they're saying exactly what the legal department is saying, no more and no less.

That said, agree with you, they're being frustratingly vague, and it's not good customer service. But, I do believe that they've got a reason for it, and they're not just being totally stupid.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
I have a question for you Shawn, Is there a backup plan?

I would hate to see the RPGA delay the premier of LR till DDXP, just to get it at a big con.

We have had a plan since the beginning, and that plan has not changed. We have been working hard to hit every deadline for an August 2008 launch of Living Forgotten Realms. There is no reason to think that we are not going to have an August 2008 launch of Living Forgotten Realms.

Shawn
LFR Global Admin
Apart from 4th ed Living Realms, will there be 3.5 ed Living Undermountain at GenCon this year?
The RPGA will not be running any 3rd Edition events at GenCon.
Apart from 4th ed Living Realms, will there be 3.5 ed Living Undermountain at GenCon this year?

Undermountain was a special bit the RPGA did to add a little bit more content when the Expedition to Undermountain came out. It wasn't a Campaign (living or otherwise) and was just four mods you could play.

However, LFR should kick off in August, as planned.
Sign In to post comments