How long is the Living FR campaign expected to last?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was wondering what the expected duration for the Living Forgotten Realms campaign? The reason I ask is because WotC intends to release a new campaign setting per year. I wonder if they intend to launch a new living campaign once per year.

Will Living FR be like Living Greyhawk, lasting essentially until 5th ed? Or more like Green Regent or Xen'Drik with a shorter, fixed duration?

Feedback most welcome.
I get the feeling its more like Living Greyhawk. Living Campaigns are a headache and a half to mangae properly and I dont seem them having more than one going at a time and they seem pretty invested in what they have. Not that it wouldnt be cool to see some in the other worlds (Ravenloft seems to lend itself to the idea when you consider how the world is already arranged into darklord demesnes.)

The campaigns series which covers the others you mentioned and last for 2 years could get new life tho when you consider the vast amount of meterial theyll now have with all the new settings so we could see a Campaign series set in any of them (Im rather curious what the new one is considering Xen'drik ends at Origins I believe)

Anyway, plenty to be excited about there
We've been told that LFR will be like LG, a lasting, living campaign (though probably only until the new edition comes out in 10 years :D ).

I think there's been talk about other 2 year campaigns with level bumps since those are popular for conventions. No announcment yet though as to which setting that will go to.

My money would be Eberron for the new 2 year campaign since 4e Eberron books are coming out next year (and Eberron articles will be out this year in DDI).
Check out my free online comic! Familiar Ground Fantasy Humor, Familiar Point of View
My money would be Eberron for the new 2 year campaign since 4e Eberron books are coming out next year (and Eberron articles will be out this year in DDI).

It seems the most likely tho i suppose we could have another FR campaign or possibly a 'generic world' one.
Hopefully for a while.
Living Forgotten Realms is a true "Living" campaign which means it does not have a definite (pre-set), finite length; its life is indefinite. Please note, indefinite does not mean forever. WotC could decide the campaign is not working and terminate it, or they want to release 5E D&D (I doubt any campaign will persist over those changes.) so they bring LFR to a close at that time.

RPGA is planning more D&D style campaigns; you may see starts at next DDXP. Do not expect more than one RPGA living campaign to be running at the same time; I would be very surprised.

Keith
Keith Hoffman LFR Writing Director for Waterdeep
Probably until 5e.

Which, given the short span between 3e, 3.5 and 4e will be sooner rather than later. Probably around 5-7 years.

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

8 years or so? Not bad. ;)
RPGA is planning more D&D style campaigns; you may see starts at next DDXP. Do not expect more than one RPGA living campaign to be running at the same time; I would be very surprised.
Keith

I hope you don't mean there won't be a RPGA Living Campaign for the Star Wars Saga Edition. It's a different game, so perhaps it'll get its own Living Campaign (although I know the Living Force was shut down)?
I was wondering what the expected duration for the Living Forgotten Realms campaign? The reason I ask is because WotC intends to release a new campaign setting per year. I wonder if they intend to launch a new living campaign once per year.

Will Living FR be like Living Greyhawk, lasting essentially until 5th ed? Or more like Green Regent or Xen'Drik with a shorter, fixed duration?

Feedback most welcome.

As others have said - there's no PLANNED end to LFR. One of the trademarks of the Living campaign style is just that - it's a "living" campaign that keeps going, growing, and evolving as long as it remains popular.

The "D&D Campaign" campaign style is what Green Regent, Mark of Heros, and Xen'Drik Expeditions have all been. These feature planned story arc spanning (roughly) two years with incremental level bumps as the plotline advances.

At DDXP we were told that the next D&D Campaign would be based in Eberron, and should premier at DDXP 2009. I don't believe they had a title for the campaign yet.

I hope you don't mean there won't be a RPGA Living Campaign for the Star Wars Saga Edition. It's a different game, so perhaps it'll get its own Living Campaign (although I know the Living Force was shut down)?

I think Chris said this was something they were considering (at DDXP). Play numbers (and book sales) appear to be doing will for Saga, and the better Saga does the more support it will get.

The next batch of RPGA rewards will have 2 Saga-edition cards in the mix, which is another good sign.

Keep playing (and reporting!) Saga Edition and see what happens.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

(although I know the Living Force was shut down)

Technically, Living Force was not shut down. It had always been planned as a five-year campaign, and it ran its course.

However, at the time when the LF campaign staff was beginning to plan a second Star Wars campaign, WotC had ceased active support for the Star Wars RPG, and told the RPGA to stop work on "Living Force II".
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
I get the feeling its more like Living Greyhawk. Living Campaigns are a headache and a half to mangae properly and I dont seem them having more than one going at a time and they seem pretty invested in what they have. Not that it wouldnt be cool to see some in the other worlds (Ravenloft seems to lend itself to the idea when you consider how the world is already arranged into darklord demesnes.)

A group of us tried to get a Living Ravenloft campaign going about five years ago (during the time Arthaus was publishing RL material). Arthaus liked the idea, but WotC did not, and thus the project died. I'd personally love to resurrect it, but I'm not so sure how well the 4E rules would mesh with the setting.
Eric B. Proud member of the Knights of Columbus, Triangle Fraternity, and the Society for Creative Anachronism. Best D&D Rules Set Ever: Moldvay/Cook/Marsh Basic D&D Best D&D Campaign Setting Ever: Ravenloft Neitzche says, "God is dead." God says, "Neitzche is dead."

Feedback most welcome.

Well, it is definitely not going to have a fixed duration. Xen'drik and Green Regent had fixed durations AND level bumps. The first necessitated the second and having mods be available for play for only a few months. LFR will be living campaign. Players will be able to advance as quickly or as slowly as they want. Though the most I'd count on is 3 years, a run like 8 years + wouldn't be totally impossible.