Adventure Blurbs

98 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dalelands Adventure #1
The Prospect
The Fall of Stars is the most famous adventurers' club in Faerûn. Who
can say no when offered membership in the Stellar Fellowship, for a
mere errand? But of course, things are never that simple. A Living
Forgotten Realms adventure set in the Dalelands for characters levels 1-4.

Waterdeep Adventure #1
Heirloom
An old tutor asks the adventurers to recover a stolen family heirloom for a "down-on-their-luck" Waterdhavian noble family. A Living Forgotten Realms adventure set in Waterdeep for characters levels 1-4.
We'll have all of the adventure descriptions for the 1st wave of adventures (stuff premiering in August and September) on our website by the end of April.

Chris Tulach

D&D Program Manager

Wizards of the Coast  

Chris on Twitter

We'll have all of the adventure descriptions for the 1st wave of adventures (stuff premiering in August and September) on our website by the end of April.

This is great to know... I am wanting to play an event for late Sept. and was wondering about when info will be available.
Just out of curiosity, will the names of the writers be also announced at some point in the future? I expect these were done by the writing directors of their respective regions, but it seems an odd omission.
Just out of curiosity, will the names of the writers be also announced at some point in the future? I expect these were done by the writing directors of their respective regions, but it seems an odd omission.

I suspect the omission was just happenstance or perhaps was not thought to be news worthy. Claire and I are writing the Waterdeep adventure. I think in most cases, the regional Writing Director is authoring the first adventure, possibly the second, because of restrictions and the timeline. The names will certainly be on the title page of the adventures, and I think the RPGA will continue to include the author name in its adventure library.

Keith
Keith Hoffman LFR Writing Director for Waterdeep

IT's MAY 1st. Where are the adventure descriptions?
We had some technical issues last week with regards to posting the information. It will be up this week, along with some other often-requested information.

Chris Tulach

D&D Program Manager

Wizards of the Coast  

Chris on Twitter

When can we expect this " Issue " to be resolved?
When can we expect this " Issue " to be resolved?

I'm working on it. However, I really don't see the reason for impatience, since it's still 3 months before any adventures will be playable, and the campaign standards/character creation rules won't be out until July at the earliest.

Chris Tulach

D&D Program Manager

Wizards of the Coast  

Chris on Twitter

Perhaps it's not so much impatience as a desire to see the RPGA Represented well. A desire to see that promises or assurances made to the membership in open forums is actually adhered to. There's nothing wrong with membership expecting that due dates and the like will be adhered to - otherwise why should they expect that /any/ date will be adhered to?

There's also nothing wrong with the organizers of the RPGA being late in fulfilling delivery dates that no one set but themselves - but it looks poor if that date comes and goes and no one in the Org gives any reason or notice. I would presume that it is not a surprise to those responsible that the date would be missed, so why not come on the forum and say "Hey, we're running behind, we've pushed the date back to X. Sorry bout that".

Such things go along way towards helping the customer feel like they are being taken seriously.

Hopefully that answer helps as to why we're "impatient".
Perhaps it's not so much impatience as a desire to see the RPGA Represented well. A desire to see that promises or assurances made to the membership in open forums is actually adhered to. There's nothing wrong with membership expecting that due dates and the like will be adhered to - otherwise why should they expect that /any/ date will be adhered to?

There's also nothing wrong with the organizers of the RPGA being late in fulfilling delivery dates that no one set but themselves - but it looks poor if that date comes and goes and no one in the Org gives any reason or notice. I would presume that it is not a surprise to those responsible that the date would be missed, so why not come on the forum and say "Hey, we're running behind, we've pushed the date back to X. Sorry bout that".

Such things go along way towards helping the customer feel like they are being taken seriously.

Wow, well said asoka.

Communication has been the main point of most of my disagreements here. Just keep us informed as dates slip or are missed. I think you'll find most of us can be sympathetic if an appropriate reason is given or at least if you've attempted to explain a delay.

The main thing I'm interested in those blurbs about, is that they represent the ability to submit events to GenCon for the Living FR's games. No details are needed for the submission of events, and yet you're talking like you don't have to have anything ready to run until 3 months from now.

Isn't it beneficial to have the blurbs ready for event submission at GC so people can complete their registration process and finalize their vacation/travel plans?

I also have to agree here. Adherence to due dates is definitely the largest growth area for the RPGA's administration team (including but not limited to you, Chris). What I think adds to the frustration level is the fact that you guys set those due dates yourselves and rarely meet them.

I understand that regardless of whether or not there have been any "technical" difficulties with posting some adventure blurbs, that task has likely been delayed due to prioritization (I agree that it's likely not a high priority right now compared to everything else that must be in the works).

However, the RPGA has a track record of delivering way past promised dates (especially lately) on far more significant tasks and I think the impatience that we're all witnessing can be attributed in large part to the concerns that many people have expressed about just how smooth the launch of LFR will be. It's clear that MANY people are excited about this new campaign and this new system, and with the Gen Con LLC Chapter 11 filing, the delay in event submissions to Gen Con Indy (which goes hand-in-hand with the former), and the RPGA's poor track record of timely delivery, I have no doubt that a large portion of those people are concerned.

In short, I'd say that until things begin to run significantly more smoothly, it's only fair that perceived impatience on the part of the RPGA gaming community is not only overlooked, but also excused by administration.
Dave Kay LFR Writing Director Retiree dkay807 [at] yahoo [dot] com
I also have to agree here. Adherence to due dates is definitely the largest growth area for the RPGA's administration team (including but not limited to you, Chris). What I think adds to the frustration level is the fact that you guys set those due dates yourselves and rarely meet them.

I agree with you Dave, in respects to rpga campaign staff missing dates set by themselves. That is an area where there is plenty of scope to grow.

I think it's important to note, however, that the realistic alternative to this is that no dates for these kind of things are set and the player base just has to deal with it. I've *never* seen Chris miss a hard deadline and the 'promises' that he has made have, by-and large, been more in the area of 'should be' and 'hopefully' than 'definitely will be'.

As a general comment (and not a response to anyone specifically), I would hope there is a realisation that the campaign staff are working on the genuinely important stuff, rather than spending that time chasing down and screaming at I.T. personnel who have these 'promises' on their to-do list.

Joe Fitzgerald
Event Manager
Dragon Coast

P.S. Dr. Joe recommends ratcheting down on hyberbole and emoticons in your posts for a full, healthy and happy life.
Joe Fitzgerald | joerpga[at]yahoo[dot]com[dot]au LFR Global Administrator
I agree with you Dave, in respects to rpga campaign staff missing dates set by themselves. That is an area where there is plenty of scope to grow.

I think it's important to note, however, that the realistic alternative to this is that no dates for these kind of things are set and the player base just has to deal with it. I've *never* seen Chris miss a hard deadline and the 'promises' that he has made have, by-and large, been more in the area of 'should be' and 'hopefully' than 'definitely will be'.

As a general comment (and not a response to anyone specifically), I would hope there is a realisation that the campaign staff are working on the genuinely important stuff, rather than spending that time chasing down and screaming at I.T. personnel who have these 'promises' on their to-do list.

Joe Fitzgerald
Event Manager
Dragon Coast

P.S. Dr. Joe recommends ratcheting down on hyberbole and emoticons in your posts for a full, healthy and happy life.

Huh?? All or nothing?

No one here has demanded that the material 'actually' be available. We'd like that, but work is work...and I'm fully confident they are doing everything they can to make it happen.

The concern is that in making soft or hard claims on availability of material, there is no follow through to communicate the outcome of that work. Chris said "It will be available next week...". Why not come here and say..."Well its next week, and I guess I was wrong...I hope to have this info available soon. Thanks for your patience" Rather than asking us why we're impatient about the material when he set the date and made us think it would be forthcoming?

Right now GenCon is waiting on those blurbs. People who pre-registered for events at GenCon and secured hotel rooms with a credit card are waiting on those blurbs. People who believed the WotC website that 4E would be at GC and bout overpriced plane tickets are waiting on those blurbs. People who are counting on a volunteer judges badge to be able to go to GC this year are waiting on those blurbs. I think you get the idea.

That's what we're impatient for....information that can help validate the expenses we made for your product.

Chris' response does not fill me with confidence that I invested my money wisely at this point...
While I realize the RPGA has not always had a record of on-time delivery, they are making a tremendous effort with LFR to change that for the adventures while raising the quality of the adventures as well. The Writing Directors have an incentive to meet deadlines; they get a bonus 5th adventure each year (2008-2009 counts as one year). Trust me, all of us want that bonus adventure. Will everyone meet their deadlines? Don't know but I do know all campaign admins will be trying really, really hard.

Whether or not you have as much visibility and communication as everyone might like, progress on LFR adventures is being made. The first wave will be released in the August-September "quarter," the second wave in the October-December quarter and so forth.

Keith
The adventure 1 (and adventure 2) blurbs are done, approved, and ready to roll. Some of them, as shown in the first post of this thread, have been released already on local forums. As Chris said, things outside of his (and the RPGA's) control sometimes crop up. While I wish it wasn't the case that the RPGA is sometimes beholden to concerns and procedures of WotC and/or Hasbro, such is the nature of the beast. Communication can be that beast when you don't control the means of communication, or when you are specifically forbidden to communicate.

If anyone has questions, they can always post them here, and the rest of the LFR staff and I will make every attempt to answer to the best of our abilities.

Thanks,

Shawn
LFR Global Admin
[QUOTE=
If anyone has questions, they can always post them here, and the rest of the LFR staff and I will make every attempt to answer to the best of our abilities.

Thanks,

Shawn
LFR Global Admin
What is the answer to life, the universe, and everything?

Wes

Wes

What is 7 x 6?

Life, the universe, and everything.
Here are some blurbs that were posted on the LFR Yahoo group today by Bill Benham:

Available August:

RIFT-1 These Hallowed Halls
By Bill Benham

The Crafty Kobold Salvage Company has fearlessly plumbed forgotten
treasures from the depths of the earth for many years. Now the
owner's son has gone missing and he needs adventurers of uncommon
mettle to brave the dangers of the Underdark, find the lost
explorers, and perhaps even unlock the ancient secrets of Lodestone
Deep. A LIVING FORGOTTEN REALMS adventure for 1st to 4th level
characters.

RIFT-2 Gnoll Place Like Home
By Mike Rizzo

Gnolls swarm across the river, over the palisades, and into the
dusty streets of a halfling settlement on the edge of the Eastern
Shaar. Hapless hin and their hurbryn neighbors cry out for
protection from these marauding dogs. Why are the gnolls attacking
this backwater in such numbers tonight? Who is the real leader of
the pack? A LIVING FORGOTTEN REALMS adventure for characters of 4th
to 7th level.
My LFR Modules:
Show
EAST1-3 Unbidden (H3) EAST2-3 Nightmares (P1) NETH3-1 Secrets and Shadows (Paragon Tier) (Author) ELTU3-6 True Blue (Heroic Tier) (Author) EPIC3-3 The Tangled Skein of Destiny (Co-Author) ABER4-3 A Little Rebellion (Paragon Tier) (Author) WATE4-1 Paying the Piper (Heroic Tier) (Co-Author)

Wes

What is 7 x 6?

It's actually what is 6 times 9

(base 13!)
Here are some blurbs that were posted on the LFR Yahoo group today by Bill Benham:

Available August:

RIFT-1 These Hallowed Halls
By Bill Benham

The Crafty Kobold Salvage Company has fearlessly plumbed forgotten
treasures from the depths of the earth for many years. Now the
owner's son has gone missing and he needs adventurers of uncommon
mettle to brave the dangers of the Underdark, find the lost
explorers, and perhaps even unlock the ancient secrets of Lodestone
Deep. A LIVING FORGOTTEN REALMS adventure for 1st to 4th level
characters.

RIFT-2 Gnoll Place Like Home
By Mike Rizzo

Gnolls swarm across the river, over the palisades, and into the
dusty streets of a halfling settlement on the edge of the Eastern
Shaar. Hapless hin and their hurbryn neighbors cry out for
protection from these marauding dogs. Why are the gnolls attacking
this backwater in such numbers tonight? Who is the real leader of
the pack? A LIVING FORGOTTEN REALMS adventure for characters of 4th
to 7th level.

Do they really expect people to be 4th lrvrl by RIFT-2? Seems rather odd for a 2nd area adventure. Its almost like theyre requiring you to venture outside your region. Unless youre getting WAY more exp per adventure.
Waterdeep Adventure 2

Dark Secrets of Downshadow
Adventurers are the only hope of a servant who seeks her missing brother. Will the heroes be in time to save the boy and best the villains? A Living Forgotten Realms adventure set in Waterdeep for characters levels 4-7.

(to be released sometime in October - December 2007 period)

To help answer the question about 4th level:
LFR will have on the order of 15 adventures (12 regionals, 3 cores) each quarter, plus specials, quest, adaptables, and whatever else might not yet be announced. Mr Tulach stated at DDXP, that he estimated 25-30 adventures would take a character from 1st level to 11th level (Paragon Tier). A little math suggests that with 15 adventures, that will easily get one character above 4th level, maybe a second character although not as certain. Don't know that this trend will march all the way through Paragon and Epic Tiers -- to be determined.

Keith
I wonder what only offering adventures at one level range will mean as far as table composition rules. If you have to be one of those levels to play the mod, it could get awkward if a play group get's stretched over 3 levels.
Waterdeep Adventure 2

I can see why the intro adventures allow PCs up to level 4m but not why they cut of there rather than level 5 or level 6.

I don't understand why the 2nd adventure is for levels 4-7. Why not support lower levels as well? Why make it so difficult for a character to be played entirely within a single region, if that is what a player wishes? Is it so difficult to design an adventure for more than a 4 level range of PCs, adjustable for the average level at the table?

How many PCs per table will be supported, and how will the difficulty relate to the actual levels and number of PCs at the table?
The Dragon Coast Adventure blurbs:

DRAG-01 Many Hands Make Light Work
by Bruce Paris

Westgate is a dangerous city at any time, but today it’s about to
live up to its name. Today, a band of pious Sisters have arrived in
your precinct and they need a little help with renovations and …
removals. A Living Forgotten Realms adventure set in the Dragon Coast
for character levels 1-4.

DRAG-02 The Thin Gray Line
by Joe Fitzgerald

Shady people making even shadier deals are commonplace in the docks
district of Westgate. Locals have learnt that siding with the lesser
of many evils is the only way to scratch out a living, but when a new
chief sergeant upsets the delicate balance of power, the fallout
threatens to affect the entire docks district. A Living Forgotten
Realms adventure set in the Dragon Coast for character levels 4-7.
To help answer the question about 4th level:
LFR will have on the order of 15 adventures (12 regionals, 3 cores) each quarter, plus specials, quest, adaptables, and whatever else might not yet be announced. Mr Tulach stated at DDXP, that he estimated 25-30 adventures would take a character from 1st level to 11th level (Paragon Tier). A little math suggests that with 15 adventures, that will easily get one character above 4th level, maybe a second character although not as certain. Don't know that this trend will march all the way through Paragon and Epic Tiers -- to be determined.

That's... okay, no offense here and nothing personal, but that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

So you have to play EVERY released module with a single character to even play the second quarter's worth of adventures?
I really hope there's going to be an announcement advising people NOT to start alts otherwise they won't be able to play.
Or announce to people to get involved fast because if they try to jump in later they won't be able to play. Remember all the fuss in the TU thread about people needed to make alts so they can play with lower level tables? I mean, my god, the level range is 4-7. Does the second string of adventures really need to be playable by 7th level PCs? Couldn't it have been 3-6? I can just imagine the new people trying to get in and being told to come back with a 4th level PC, or finding out everyone had already played all the low-level mods.

What happens if you die? I believe the general teasers are if you die at the paragon level you're brought back but at heroic you just make up a new character. If you die in LFR and have to start again you likely won't be able to play the second set of adventures.

Okay, let's do some math.
4 encounters per mod (based on LG which is a good bench for time restraints) so that's a total of 100 encounters in 25 mods.
The economy article seems to suggest 10 encounters/level. So you level every 2 1/2 mods. So you should hit 4 in 10 mods.
So if you die in mod 5 or less you're fine, your new characters should still be able to hit 4. If you die after mod 5 then just take a break for three months and hope that the next set of mods won't be 7-10 (which they almost certainty will be).
Of course, if the advancement rate remains constant then you hit 8 in 20 mods or halfway through the second set. If you never died you might even have a level 2 alt. Of course neither character can play the remaining 5 mods.

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

At the start of the campaign, there will be 17 rounds worth of adventures (and most likely a few more rounds) covering levels 1-4 . Those will be available to play for at least 3 years. Although this is just an estimation, I would say you can reach 4th level by playing about 7 of those rounds. So you could get 2 characters to level 5, at least, if you play all of them. If you don't get a character to 4th level before the second set to adventures becomes available, you can play the first set until you have a character at least 4th level. They are still going to be available.

As time goes on, there will be a mix of new adventures covering various levels. For people who play everything as soon as it comes out, you can have a variety of characters, and you will always be ready to play the latest one. For people who just want to play occasionally, you will always have something to play.
As long as you give me a mindbender base class I shall love you forever 4e LFR >.>

Skip
-Pot Stirrer. -Because I can. Co-Author Neth 3-3 Seek and Destroy. (Now with 10% more diplomacy!) Author ELTU 4-3 Minutes to Midnight (Waiting on Release) ABSO 4-2. (I really am working on this I promise!)
As Shawn indicated, if one PC plays 7-8 adventures (and assuming they don't fail), that PC should gain 3 levels. That means a first level PC advances to a 4th level PC, which means that PC would be able to play any of the second wave of LFR adventures. (It also means later that a 4th level PC advances to a 7th level PC.) Like Shawn said, there will be a LOT of play opportunities so advancing two PCs is possible. In 2009, the regions will likely add more adventures in Heroic Tier, making the advancement of more PCs possible. Since the adventures are available for three years, gamers who join the campaign later can still have opportunities to advance their PCs.

The one approach which will have a problem is if a player wants to have a specific PC just for play in one region only; that will probably be unworkable with the current schema. Remember, LFR is not really a regional campaign the way LG was, but regional adventures available globally.

We can't be specific about PC death in 4E (as covered by our NDA), but I recommend not to be concerned.

Keith
We can't be specific about PC death in 4E (as covered by our NDA), but I recommend not to be concerned.

Keith

Every adventure area will have a respawn point? Softballing is written right into the module? No permanent character death?

No offence, man, but statements like this worry me.
The one approach which will have a problem is if a player wants to have a specific PC just for play in one region only; that will probably be unworkable with the current schema. Remember, LFR is not really a regional campaign the way LG was, but reigonal adventures available globally.

It is still a 'point of light' campaign, where travel is difficult.
Basically forcing PCs to travel the whole world in order to level so they can play the next regional breaks that idea, eliminates regional attachment, and stretches the suspension of disbelief some people still like to have for their game.
I.e. I intend to play one character in the visicinity of Luruar (likely including Sword coast region), and one near the south/east Sea of Fallen Stars. It makes little sense to have them adventure on the other side of the world - there *should* be enough in their own part of the world.
I may even decide to not adventure in certain regions at all, and save them for later play. I will essentally need a bit more than the regional scenarios to advance my character so I can play the second adventure in my home region.

I am sure we will do our best to also please players who wish to play in that way.

Gomez
Every adventure area will have a respawn point? Softballing is written right into the module? No permanent character death?

No offence, man, but statements like this worry me.

No offense, but speculating and extrapolating the intent from a deliberately non-specific statement worries me. ;)
No offense, but speculating and extrapolating the intent from a deliberately non-specific statement worries me. ;)

See, whenever someone tells me that he can't go into specifics but I shouldn't be worried, the exact opposite happens.

The_Jester there had a decent point built upon available information. He referred to the previews about character death and experience rewards.

Shawn and Keith went on to clarify the expected character progression, but Keith felt necessary to append a small mention about character death. To me, this immediately suggests that it's different from the 4E default assumption - indeed, The_Jester seemed worried about it and Keith told him not to worry. It then follows that it must be something else. What? No idea. Speculation ensues.

Also, I've got the most boring job ever and I'll be stuck here for hours.
Please don't extrapolate or speculate from what I didn't say about character death in 4E. My comment was narrowly focused on character advancement in LFR, trying to reassure folks the LFR level advancement schema is good.

Reminder: In 3 weeks (21 days) from today, the 4E rulebooks will be available in stores and gamers will be finding out for themselves details of that edition of D&D.

Keith
You had a really conspicuous way of not saying it. The reaction is very interesting, too.

Really, you can't stop human curiosity, and you should know that. Trying just makes people even more curious.

This is much like the case of a playtester who's directly asked if he's a playtester. He has three options. First, he can just lie and deny everything, which isn't really honest. Two, he can admit it and break NDA, which isn't good, either. The third option, and one that I think most playtesters would resort to, is a glib answer along the lines of "I can neither confirm or deny that" - and everyone will know he's a playtester, because nobody else would answer like that.

The lesson is that you can figure out a lot based on how someone doesn't tell you something. You can learn even more from their reaction when you prod them about it.

I do admit to being deliberately provocative, but the results have been most enlightening.

However, if I have offended, I apologise.
It's not offensive, but it is counterproductive. See, the complaints on the board repeatedly state that the campaign staff needs to communicate more and better. So we come onto the lists and try to be as helpful and communicative as possible without jeopardizing our positions as campaign staff.

Most people are able to restrain themselves and are appreciative of those efforts, and I am grateful for their patience and understanding. However, for our efforts, we also get from an unappreciate few the following:

A) People who deliberately try to provoke us into slipping up.
B) People who take the information we can give and turn that information into negative rants based on specualtion because of things we can't say.
C) People who rant regardless of what we say.

It is not witty, it is not helpful, it is transparent, and it is not in the least bit funny. The more it happens, the less likely future communication will occur. If people want forums like this to be the conduit of valuable information that they seem to want them to be, then they have to understand that all the participants need to use them responsibly--not just the ones providing the information.

Someone was worried that character death might overly hinder advancement within the level spread for adventures. An administrator answered to the best of his ability that such a concern was recognized by the campaign and is being dealt with in a way that shouldn't cause undue problems.

The extremely unjustified and highly negative reaction of "softballing automatically written into the adventures" and other complaints does nothing but lead to potential rumors and negavity toward the campaign--when the Core rules are still weeks away from release. It can be called "probing for information," but I call it a blatant attempt to sabotage the campaign before it even gets started. Speculation is one thing, but speculating with such a negative and descructive agenda can breed nothing but negativity and destruction. Enlightment at that cost might seem worthwhile to some--but I hope not for a majority of list participants.

Shawn
LFR Global Admin
"Every adventure area will have a respawn point?" If this is going to become Halo than I call shot gun on the SCARAB TANK and don't be one of those jerks that go to the respawn point and wait so they can stab a plasma sword in the back of the red player.
Shawn, could we please have a sense of perspective about these things? "Sabotage"? "Destructive agenda"?

Take off the tinfoil hat, switch to decaf and lighten up. Presently, you're hurting the campaign more than I ever could.
Answered offlist.
Someone was worried that character death might overly hinder advancement within the level spread for adventures. An administrator answered to the best of his ability that such a concern was recognized by the campaign and is being dealt with in a way that shouldn't cause undue problems.

And I for one am satisfied.
My question was fully addressed in that the campaign staff reassured us that it will be possible to get one (and possibly two) characters high enough to play the second set of adventures.
And that death (using either or both the D&D rules and LFR standards) is being worked will not prevent someone from being cut out of the gameplay because of death.

Anyone who's seen me post here before knows I am more the willing to unload if I think its necessary, but I do feel this possible point of concern has been preemptively dealt with and I give the staff kudos.

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.