What books will I need for Living Forgotten Realms?

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
The coffee shop that I play Living Greyhawk at will be switching to Living Forgotten Realms at the end of this year. What books will I need to play in this campaign?

--Thanks
The 4th Edition D&D Player's Handbook

If you're running you will also likely need the 4e DMG and Monster Manual

Plus any books you have powers/paths from (ie expansion books)
Plus any books you have races/feats from (Forgotten Realms Player's Guide)

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

The 4th Edition D&D Player's Handbook

If you're running you will also likely need the 4e DMG and Monster Manual

Plus any books you have powers/paths from (ie expansion books)
Plus any books you have races/feats from (Forgotten Realms Player's Guide)

Alright. Thanks.
I might as well get the DMG and Monster Manual because I might decide to run a campaign of my own at home.
Alright. Thanks.
I might as well get the DMG and Monster Manual because I might decide to run a campaign of my own at home.

Oh and don't for get the Forgotten Realms Hand Book lot's of neat stuff in there.
To play, all you'll really need is:

Player's Handbook (out on June 6th)
Forgotten Realms Player's Guide (out in September)

Chris Tulach

D&D Program Manager

Wizards of the Coast  

Chris on Twitter

How much of a diffrence is there between 3rd and 4th addition? By the GODS I still havent read all the 3rd stuff and they comeing out with 4th ..
How much of a diffrence is there between 3rd and 4th addition? By the GODS I still havent read all the 3rd stuff and they comeing out with 4th ..

Going by the previews, the 3E books will be fully and completely obsolete.
To play, all you'll really need is:

Player's Handbook (out on June 6th)
Forgotten Realms Player's Guide (out in September)

As the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide doesn't come out (September) until AFTER the campaign starts (GenCon - August) should we be concerned about missing out on any Forgotton Realms-specific character options?

Specifically, will there be feats, powers, equipment that "early adopters" will risk missing out on? Will there be options after the campaign starts to "re-tool" a character if we later find we'd have preferred options from the FRPG?
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

As the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide doesn't come out (September) until AFTER the campaign starts (GenCon - August) should we be concerned about missing out on any Forgotton Realms-specific character options?

Specifically, will there be feats, powers, equipment that "early adopters" will risk missing out on? Will there be options after the campaign starts to "re-tool" a character if we later find we'd have preferred options from the FRPG?

Even knowing nothing about the particulars of the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide, I would say it's a pretty darn safe bet that there will be feats, powers, equipment, and other nifty options in the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide. My reasoning is that the thing has to have SOMETHING to justify the price tag to players.

As far as "retooling" options goes, I don't know anything about that. There's the "Tome of Treasures" and "Martial Power", "Draconomicon I: Chromatic Dragons" and "Manual of the Planes" slated for release at intervals through December, all "Core" releases. As well, there's a Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide for DMs. That's a lot of opportunity for backwards retooling for a Living Campaign, and allowing multiple opportunities to remake characters is going to be unwieldy.
It's confirmed that there are retraining rules in the core 4th edition rules.

It's been said a few times that one of the design goals was to create a game which didn't need significant modifying for organised play.

Putting these together I feel reasonably confident that there will be retraining rules in LFR, though how they work, who knows? Possibly if you want to play a Genasi, you'll have to wait until the PGtFR is out. If you like the look of a feat or power from it, though, I imagine it'll be easier to add it to an existing character.

One note - I imagine it'll be hard to play all available mods with one character - if the first 12 regional mods and, presumably, the first few cores, are for levels 1-4, you might well level up faster than the campaign 'permits' in terms of appropriate adventures, if you manage to play every module, so multiple characters are probably going to be more common than in the early years of LG.

Running D&D Adventurers League events in Sheffield, UK from August. Contact me for more details.

Even knowing nothing about the particulars of the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide, I would say it's a pretty darn safe bet that there will be feats, powers, equipment, and other nifty options in the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide. My reasoning is that the thing has to have SOMETHING to justify the price tag to players.

As far as "retooling" options goes, I don't know anything about that. There's the "Tome of Treasures" and "Martial Power", "Draconomicon I: Chromatic Dragons" and "Manual of the Planes" slated for release at intervals through December, all "Core" releases. As well, there's a Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide for DMs.

While I cannot give a definitive, official answer, I just looked at what WotC has posted on their 2008 products website about each of the products and some of these, based on their product blurbs, seem unlikely to change PC build options in LFR. You can check them out for yourself.

The Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide is really more for the DM than the player. I don't think the PCs will see any changes to their character options from the FRCG. I think the FRPG, and probably/possibly the Martial Power supplement, are the two which would offer more choices for PC build.

(WotC blurb)
The Forgotten Realms Player’s Guide presents this changed world from the point of view of the adventurers exploring it. This product includes everything a player needs to create his character for a D&D campaign in the Forgotten Realms setting, including new feats, new character powers, new paragon paths and epic destinies, and even a brand-new character class never before seen in D&D: the swordmage!

the Martial Power supplement (WotC blurb)
New options for fighters, rangers, rogues, and warlords.
Martial Power is the first of a line of player-friendly supplements offering hundreds of new options for D&D characters. This tome focuses on the martial heroes: characters that rely on their combat talents and keen wits for survival. This book provides new archetypal builds for the fighter, ranger, rogue, and warlord classes, including new character powers, feats, paragon paths, and epic destinies.

The Tome of Treasures is cited as "Hundreds of new weapons, tools, and magic items for your D&D character." My comment -- That sounds to me like maybe more options to buy stuff, but not retooling or retraining for PCs.

Draconomicon I: Chromatic Dragons describes several varieties of dragons, including red, blue, green, black, and white dragons, as well as three new chromatic dragons. My comment -- Not sure of any impact on PC builds here either.

Manual of the Planes explores the many planes introduced in the 4th Edition Dungeon Master’s Guide. This useful travel guide also comes in handy for players seeking to battle demons, devils, elementals, and other iconic D&D monsters native to the planes. My comment -- too vague to judge.

Keith
Keith Hoffman LFR Writing Director for Waterdeep

As someone else pointed out, thanks to retraining, you don't really need to worry about it, as you'll be able to switch things out as you level.

The only real problem is if you want to play a Drow or Genasi character, or a Swordmage. In which case either wait the month til the book is out, or just play some other character until it comes out, then start playing with the new one.
As someone else pointed out, thanks to retraining, you don't really need to worry about it, as you'll be able to switch things out as you level.

The only real problem is if you want to play a Drow or Genasi character, or a Swordmage. In which case either wait the month til the book is out, or just play some other character until it comes out, then start playing with the new one.

Not trying to rain on anyone’s parade but the drow or genasi characters could be closed races unless the player has a RPGA campaign card. eg. The orc from Many-Arrows Kingdom. We will know more in the upcoming months, hopefully the campaign rules will be released before August. Giving everyone enough time to test the new rules and find flaws before the game officially kicks off in September (?)
Remember, no matter where ever you go, there you are. --Shaundakul
Not very likely.

If you notice, the campaign cards unlock 'monsters' from the Monster Manual while the drow/genasi are PC races in the FR Player's book.
If they're not 'Core' why would people buy said book? If they're 'locked' it means fewer sales.

You have cards unlocking the races in books people are going to buy anyway and then have the optional stuff open so people buy more.

No way genasi aren't going to be in the campaign standards.
(especially since Canada has the nation of genasi and has the hardest time getting to Cons).

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

Not very likely.

If you notice, the campaign cards unlock 'monsters' from the Monster Manual while the drow/genasi are PC races in the FR Player's book.
If they're not 'Core' why would people buy said book? If they're 'locked' it means fewer sales.

You have cards unlocking the races in books people are going to buy anyway and then have the optional stuff open so people buy more.

No way genasi aren't going to be in the campaign standards.
(especially since Canada has the nation of genasi and has the hardest time getting to Cons).

Good point. I forgot about the bottom line affecting the campaign standards. Unless it is considered an in region benefit, you live in Canada you can play gensai for free; everyone else needs a card. I stick with your reasoning; so I can actually look forward to pathing into a swordmage.:D
Remember, no matter where ever you go, there you are. --Shaundakul
Good point. I forgot about the bottom line affecting the campaign standards. Unless it is considered an in region benefit, you live in Canada you can play gensai for free; everyone else needs a card. I stick with your reasoning; so I can actually look forward to pathing into a swordmage.:D

Remember that regions aren't so restrictive anymore, though. It's unlikely that living in Canada would be the condition and more likely that creating the character with the nation of genasi as their home region would be it.

Perhaps more likely, however, would be that the race will just be Open for everyone.
D&D rules were never meant to exist without the presence of a DM. RAW is a lie.
anyone knows if one can get these book on pdf after all the book 3.5 it much easier to carry a lap top then all those books around?
I think if you sign up for D&D Insider, you can get a copy of them online. I thought, the way they had stated it at GenCon last year, was that you woudl get the books and a free .pdf. But after buying the books, and not getting a code or anything...I'm assuming you gotta pay that damn D&Di fee to get'em. Check it out.
Sign In to post comments