GenCon Registration Opens April 20th

161 posts / 0 new
Last post
Registration opens on 4/20/08. The the most recent event schedule was posted on 3/12/08 which contained no RPGA events. This is understandable as it's very early and we have a new edition/campaign on the horizon.

Do we have a rough idea when the RPGA events (specifically the LFR ones) will be posted to the schedule? The registration site asks you to also pay and pick your event slots when you register. Since I am only playing LFR during the four days, I'm trying to get a handle when I should pay for registration - so I can do everything at once.

Any info on the subject would be great, especially if it makes sense not to pay and register for a few more months.

Thanks.
Here's the best I can say: regardless of when the RPGA turns in information to GenCon, it is up to GenCon to get that information into their system. So even if the RPGA says, "We've given everything to GenCon in terms of event information," it still could be months before it got into the registration system. Or it could go in immediately.

However, I do know that event names and blurbs for GenCon LFR events that I am in charge of have been with RPGA HQ for several days now. So that is a good sign, at least.

Shawn
LFR Global Admin
Ok this has moved into the realm of seriously not funny. It is now less then one week before registration and we have no idea what to register for.
Yep, agreed. Registration is 6 days away. I would love to play LFR. However, as much as I am paying for my son and I to travel to Gencon, along with all the other associated expenses (hotel, food, etc...), I won't risk just showing up and hoping.

Come on guys. You have known LFR was coming for months. It is too much to ask that you give us an update about what is going on?

Have you submitted the events to Gencon? Are they still on your desk waiting to be approved? What the heck is the deal?
A blurb for the first Waterdeep LFR adventure was recently shared with the Waterdeep LFR mailing list, and as Mr Merwin said above - the RPGA already has the blurbs for the mods that will be appearing.

I'd bet that the blurbs are already on their way to GenCon, if not received by them, and just waiting on GenCon LLC to enter them into the system.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Unfortunately, Derek Guder of GenCon...the one responsible for placing events into the GC registration system...states on the GC forums board, that he has NOT received any submissions from RPGA at this point. That would make it unlikely that they will make the Sunday event regsitration time, unless they are on the way to his office as we speak. Does anyone know anything more detailed about this? I'd really like to able to plan my GC event caledar appropriately.
I am an avid fan and contributer to the RPGA. I think it is a good organization and good business for WOTC. I am also very much looking forward to 4th edition and LFR. Indeed I have already pre-ordered my books.

That being said, let me just say how insanely important this is. GenCon is THE con. It is the biggest and most important. The kick off of LFR should be priority number one. Someone has indeed dropped the ball. Heck they seem to have forgotten that there is a ball. I for one intend to be front and center at this years members meeting and demand an accounting for this.

To the RPGA senior staff I say this.... I want to be on your side, i really do. Put to make such a monumental fumble and not even have the courtesy to make an announcement or offer an explanation is unconscionable.
FWIW - from the LFR mailing list:

The plan for Gencon 2008 is to have three LFR core adventures, four LFR regional adventures and one LFR special adventure (which will be two round). I think the titles and blurbs are making their way through the system, but the RPGA has no real control or insight over when Gencon LLC (an independent company) posts information after it is handed to them. Considering that is nine game sessions of LFR play, that could fill up a Thursday, Friday, Saturday schedule without difficulty if you wanted to max out on LFR.

Mind, that doesn't guarantee that GenCon has received the info, but it sounds like the ducks are all largely in a row on the RPGA's side. There may be a disconnect somewhere in the middle.

Then again, there hasn't been a call for GenCon judges yet either, and that may affect the number of tables they can try to sell tickets for. . .

On the upside, even if RPGA registration isn't ready on the first day of presale, they'll still be available at SOME POINT during presale. Given the traffic spike that GenCon typically sees on the first day of event registration - this might even be a GOOD thing.

Sure, you'll have to plan to leave a little time for the RPGA, but once RPGA events are available the system may be more stable and responsive for the purchase of those tickets.

Why yes, I *do* think every cloud has a silver lining, why do you ask?
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

GenCon officlas stated today that they have not received any event information from the RPGA.

And no the sky is not falling and there is still time for everything to come together. The idea of opening RPGA events at a later date is also no big deal.

What is a big deal is that questions and being asked and then promptly ignored. A short paragraph on the website presenting with an update should not be too much to ask.
I am so disappointed in the RPGA staff. This is the flag ship launch of their new campaign and they don't seem to be able to get their stuff together. Getting into events without a real ticket was a huge pain is the ass last year. This year they are tight on space so I am sure it will not be better. I made sure to clear my calender so that when tickets went on sale I would be home and able to buy them. A week out and no events!!! This is ridiculous!!

I understand that there is a lot going on right now but seriously how hard is it to wright the blurbs and titles for a half a dozen adventures and submit them to Gencon. It is not like RPGA has never done this before. They should be pros by now.

The worst part is no one at RPGA responding to us. Just the usual incompetent silence I have come to expect. Who supervises these people? Does the word deadline have any meaning to them? It doesn't seem to.

Very , very disappointing.

Could you mess up this bad at your job and still have one?
Not cool. I'm stuck in a holding pattern until the RPGA stuff goes up, since I (and a lot of other people) plan around RPGA stuff for optimized scheduling.
Folks, relax. This is not a disaster; Gencon LLC will not run out of tickets for the RPGA gaming on the first day. In fact, if there are no RPGA games listed on the first day, they won't sell any until they are listed. I am positive that when the RPGA games are listed and available for purchase, someone will post that information.

RPGA HQ is not hip deep in people. Chris Tulach, the RPGA Content Manager, must oversees multiple activities in the RPGA, including the startup of LFR, and he is a very busy man. He is definitely working hard on the LFR campaign. Getting adventures for "big shows" like Gencon is very important to the RPGA. Besides having the adventure titles and blurbs, Chris also needs to devise the gaming schedule, and that is not just for LFR. Activities like the Dungeon Delve and the D&D Championship will be there too. When do adventures run and how many tables of each in order to set ticket numbers by Gencon LLC (and to advocate for floorspace), but also to tell Dave Christ how many RPGA judges he needs to recruit. BTW, Dave is really the knowledgable guy about Gencon RPGA operations so if he chimes in, consider his point of view as well informed.

Keith
Keith Hoffman LFR Writing Director for Waterdeep
Keith, you don't seem to understand the problem. The point it, many, many Gencon events DO sell out the first day (even the first HOUR) of registration. Anyone who is interested in the RPGA events is now put in a bind, because it is impossible to schedule their other events and still be sure of getting the RPGA events.

Say, for example, I really, really want to do event A. Event A has two times, call them A1 and A2. Event A is a very high demand event. I also want to do Event B, an RPGA event. I want to schedule whichever time of Event A (A1 or A2) that does not conflict with Event B.

As it stands right now, I CAN'T schedule my events. I have to guess on A1 or A2, and really really hope that it doesn't conflict with Event B.

Now multiply this small problem by the number of events you want to play at Gencon.

See the issue?
Not to mention that the opening of event registration is often the only time when many of us can dedicate ourselves to obtaining events. After Sunday, I'm back at work behind a nice firewall and no access to either the event catalog from GC or the RPGA forums. Now, as a previous poster stated, I've blocked my True Dungeon event without knowing my RPGA events on Sunday. The RPGA events hit the catalog at 11:45AM on Tuesday...by 1400 hours Tuesday afternoon, the Waterdeep Intro mods are all gone and I never had a chance. Now I have a possibly inconvenient TD run and no RPGA events to show for it. Last year they mave have gone quickly (some in under 5 minutes), but I had just as must chance as anyone.

This is a serious damper on my plans...

I know...it's not the end of the world, and we may yet make it...its just frustrating not knowing anything and having to speculate our own answers.
I think I understand what the concern is. You (generic you) want to play several/many different games (not all of which are RPGA or LFR), some have very limited availability (seats and/or times) and are in demand which makes your scheduling a nightmare. With the rolling rollout that Gencon LLC elected to do, not having all choices open at the same moment in time, makes your decision making that much tougher. Is that basically it? You may be stressed or even frustrated with "the whole system," perhaps you would like to scream at someone for being incompetent????

At some point, you may have to prioritize your choices, and try to get either the stuff you cannot play elsewhere or you just don't want to take a chance on missing. Obviously, I hope you put the RPGA games and LFR high on your list, but I do realize that except for the LFR special, the adventures will be available globally so you might opt for picking some of them up later. Your choice.

I do have sympathy for the challenges you face to accomplish what you want. My perspective is just different.

Keith
With the rolling rollout that Gencon LLC elected to do, not having all choices open at the same moment in time, makes your decision making that much tougher. Is that basically it? You may be stressed or even frustrated with "the whole system," perhaps you would like to scream at someone for being incompetent????
Keith

Keith, attempting to shift blame to GenCon LLC is a little unfair. No-one either in this thread or in the equivalent GenCon thread has made this complaint. The only problem people have is that the RPGA have been very late getting their submissions in, and then stated that they *had* sent them in, when they hadn't, actually, done so.

No-one is screaming, we just want you to know that it is a serious issue for, well, basically every single person interested in D&D and GenCon. It means that we must relegate D&D to second-citizen status in terms of making time available -- it will now just fill holes rather than be a #1 goal.

It seems strange to me that a company that wants to sell a new product would be happy with this status. It means that people like myself, who are bringing down 4 family members and *cannot afford* to hang around halls hoping to pick up games, will choose other companies products rather than yours simply because you were unable to make a timely submission.

If your different perspective is that you simply don't care, then I guess there's not much to be said. If, however, you do care, perhaps even a vague promise to look into it might be better than "if you're hosed, just play the game at home later".
In the defense of the RPGA Gen Con did move up event registration with little or no warning. Event registration was usually the first week of May and now it is the third Sunday in April. I do not get this move by Gen Con and it is tough on us that want to schedule times for games. I hope the RPGA and Gen Con can resolve this by Sunday.
IIRC, standard practice at GenCon Indy in the past was for the LG Core Special and the three LG Core modules to be run in every slot. Now I can only guess that this would be similar this year; I can't imagine that there would be slots when the special, at least, doesn't run. And so while it'd be a bit of a lottery - as you do not know what other people are choosing - saying "I'll book True Dungeon here and sign up for that 4 hour event there and hope that on one of the 9 other slots I've currently not filled there'll be a seat at the Special, and any other LFR mods I can get in to.

Ideal? No, but when has GenCon registration ever been ideal? RPGA slots sell out very quickly. True Dungeon sells out very quickly. The system often crashes. It's the same every year, it seems... and while it would help for the RPGA events to be in the pre-release lists, there are solutions to this problem, I think.

Running D&D Adventurers League events in Sheffield, UK from August. Contact me for more details.

I think I understand what the concern is. You (generic you) want to play several/many different games (not all of which are RPGA or LFR), some have very limited availability (seats and/or times) and are in demand which makes your scheduling a nightmare. With the rolling rollout that Gencon LLC elected to do, not having all choices open at the same moment in time, makes your decision making that much tougher. Is that basically it? You may be stressed or even frustrated with "the whole system," perhaps you would like to scream at someone for being incompetent????

At some point, you may have to prioritize your choices, and try to get either the stuff you cannot play elsewhere or you just don't want to take a chance on missing. Obviously, I hope you put the RPGA games and LFR high on your list, but I do realize that except for the LFR special, the adventures will be available globally so you might opt for picking some of them up later. Your choice.

I do have sympathy for the challenges you face to accomplish what you want. My perspective is just different.

Keith

As it is playing out with the 10 or so friends of mine considering to go for our first time largely to jump into LFR, the delay is causing a lack of confidence and unguaranteed adventure schedules could turn into a deal breaker for our trip.
I'm having a similar problem with my group of 5. We got into the RPGA 2 years ago because of LG. We are staying involved in the RPGA partially for LFR. We are going to our first Gencon partially to get in on the ground floor of LFR from day one. These events are important to us, but not so important that we're willing to take a chance at blowing our first Gencon wandering around searching for a game to play. If the LFR slots don't make it in by the 20th... I'm not waiting around and scrambling for leftovers.
Well, lets be honest here folks. What has been the Core Schedule for LG at every single GenCon, Winter Fantasy (now DDXP) and Origins? Hmmmm, CORX-01 in all slots, CORX-02 in all slots, CORX-03 in all slots and CORSX-01 in all slots. This was even extended to the D&D Campaign flavor of the year. Now Living Force did have a bit of a rotational schedule (usually Part 1 of story, Part 2 then Part 3, repeat the next day). The D&D Open (or Challenge or what have you) will have a slightly different set up, but you don't have to worry about Saturday's semi's or Sunday's finale unless you get past Thursday's or Friday's Qualifier.

As far as getting in. The tickets will disappear within minutes of going up, whether it is on the 20 th of April or the 6 th of June. It will only suck if they go up on a week day that isn't Friday at a time that isn't close to closing (or close enough that your boss will miss you if you sneak out early). The chances of that sadly are high.

Now imagine your rage if you are a judge in an area that will have 0 slot 0 opportunities, you know of the schedule weeks in advance because you signed up for judging before anything opened up AND you still don't get to play anything on top of eating the mod you are running in 7 slots. All this after Dave has gone through six increases in tables and GenCon still oversells the slot, with Dave scrambling like a mad man to drag in more judges and most of the judges gamely stepping up to get everyone, even generics, seated. Cause, folks we're all here to play and have fun but there are only so many of us who step up and judge to go around.

And yes, I can speak to this because in 2006, I came home from Iraq. My wife took me to GenCon so I could play (and only play). I still ended up running something like three or four tables for Dave. Every other GenCon or Winter Fantasy/DDXP I've been able to attend has been solely to run. So I'll see you there this year. And I promise not to TPK you, much! ;)
Oh look yet another day has passed and still nothing.

People (and companies) are defined by their actions.
According to a post on Gen Con's Forum the hold up is that Wizards is waiting on the chapter 11 outcome. When does Gen Con go to court to finish up the process?
According to a post on Gen Con's Forum the hold up is that Wizards is waiting on the chapter 11 outcome. When does Gen Con go to court to finish up the process?

I saw that post, too...though I'd like to see some sort of official word on that before I put too much weight in it.

That said...legal matters are rarely quick, and, IIRC, GenCon LLC only filed for Chapter 11 a couple of months ago.

The cynic in me wonders if they moved up event registration in order to get some cash in their coffers a few weeks earlier.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
I saw that post, too...though I'd like to see some sort of official word on that before I put too much weight in it.

That said...legal matters are rarely quick, and, IIRC, GenCon LLC only filed for Chapter 11 a couple of months ago.

The cynic in me wonders if they moved up event registration in order to get some cash in their coffers a few weeks earlier.

I am in agreement about Gen Con moving up event registration to get more money in the coffers. I think it is true about Wizards waiting to see what happens with the Chapter 11. I contacted a creator of another role playing game and asked him if he was running a demo of his game. He stated that because of the position that Gen Con is in right now his company is waiting before they allow official demos of their products at Gen Con. Also according to Peter Adkins, owner of Gen Con, the Chapter 11 proceedings should be over by the end of this month. I am thinking more like some time next month and we will see a notice somewhere that more events have been added to Gen Con's event registration. After saying that I am wondering how many gamers will wait and see before registering for events. I am one that will wait because I am only going for one day and I only want to play RPGA events.
I find it telling that other major gaming companies (like Upper Deck Entertainment) aren't listed for events yet either.

So, while it's frustrating for those that want to do all their planning in advance, it would seem Wizards is far from the only company (major or otherwise) that's taking a cautious approach.

WOTC's reason for the delay is irrelevant in my opinion. They may have good reason. Leaving its customers is the dark is the main problem. They should be telling us something. After all they announce right on the website the LFR launches at Gencon 2008. If this is in doubt then just bloody say so. Please treat your customers with respect. I have seen Chris Tulach respond to other threads in the last few days. Surely he has seen this thread by now. So he has either chosen not to respond or has been instructed not to. Either way someone is knowingly ignoring our concerns.
WOTC's reason for the delay is irrelevant in my opinion. They may have good reason. Leaving its customers is the dark is the main problem. They should be telling us something. After all they announce right on the website the LFR launches at Gencon 2008. If this is in doubt then just bloody say so. Please treat your customers with respect. I have seen Chris Tulach respond to other threads in the last few days. Surely he has seen this thread by now. So he has either chosen not to respond or has been instructed not to. Either way someone is knowingly ignoring our concerns.

I think the lawyers are telling all of the companies that have not listed events or even if they are attending the show not to make a statement. I imagine that Peter Adkinson and Gen Con are trying to resolve the situation right away. Also Gen Con has moved up event registration at least two weeks. We still have the whole month May ahead of us.

GenCon posted last year that they'd move event registration up. So there was warning. The post on the GenCon forum is just speculation on behalf of a disgruntled person. No one at WoTC confirmed that.

We could just as easily speculate that the reason for the hold up is that WoTC is busy reworking something on 4th ed, repainting and fumigating their offices or the person responsible for the submission fried his/her computer and needs the GeekSquad to help locate lost data. ;)

Sure. And when did they announce this? Hmmmm, at GenCon 2007, IIRC. So when did GenCon LLC announce they were filling for Chapter 11? I'm thinking it was some time after GenCon 2007. Just saying.

Course, it would be the height of foolishness for GenCon's creditors to tear apart the company to get their pennies on the dollar over a matter that wasn't related to GenCon Indie. Lord knows it could be done, but it would be moronic. That being said, there are many folks who don't want to tie themselves down monetarily to a convention that may not be there in a month.
GenCon posted last year that they'd move event registration up. So there was warning. The post on the GenCon forum is just speculation on behalf of a disgruntled person. No one at WoTC confirmed that.

We could just as easily speculate that the reason for the hold up is that WoTC is busy reworking something on 4th ed, repainting and fumigating their offices or the person responsible for the submission fried his/her computer and needs the GeekSquad to help locate lost data. ;)

Nah, I blame Grimlins. It just sounds funnier. Them or monkies.
Apparently asking WotC Customer Service (which, when you want an official reply is the correct place to go - the forums are a shot in the dark by comparion) gets you this:

(from the LFR mailing list)

Well I recieved an official email back from WotC that was different
than the ones i have been hearing here.

I qoute:

Here is a brief FAQ concerning your questions:

Q: Why are there no D&D or Wizards events on the schedule posted for
Gen Con at www.gencon.com?

A: Wizards had not submitted a schedule of events by the Gen Con
deadline. Since we hadn't submitted our own schedule, none of our
events are in the official Gen Con schedule at this time.

Q: Will Wizards attend Gen Con in 2008?

A: As you may be aware, Gen Con is currently in chapter 11
bankruptcy. Wizards' plans relative to Gen Con are dependent on the
course of proceedings in US bankruptcy court. While we hope to
participate in Gen Con, we must await further proceedings in the
bankruptcy matter before we are able to confirm our plans.

Well, that sound like get signed up for other events and cancell them later if you can get RPGA stuff when posted. I am very interested in playing Star Wars Saga edition in the RPGA. However, I am going to just try and get my events normally and if I later can get RPGA so be it.

I guess there are legal issues, but it still seems to be that WotC should be doing something or decide to come to Origins this year.

Thanks,
Duncan
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/vadersson/faa74bff5e439e58a6ee9517c419c849.jpg?v=73986) Star Wars Saga Edition forever!
I am very interested in playing Star Wars Saga edition in the RPGA.

Even once they get the RPGA stuff listed for GenCon, I'm not sure that there'll be any Star Wars Saga there. Last year, they had a special preview adventure for Dawn of Defiance at GenCon, but that was basically the first part of the first adventure. The length of the Dawn of Defiance adventures doesn't make them well-suited for con play.

I guess there are legal issues, but it still seems to be that WotC should be doing something or decide to come to Origins this year.

Umm, they already are going to be at Origins, and have been all along. That's where the final Core adventures for LG, and the Xen'drik finale, are going to premiere.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
Apparently asking WotC Customer Service (which, when you want an official reply is the correct place to go - the forums are a shot in the dark by comparion) gets you this:

(from the LFR mailing list)

That's the exact same post (complete with the misspelling of "I quote") that appeared on the GenCon forums on Friday. Which means we're still at documentation of one guy receiving that "official" word.
Even once they get the RPGA stuff listed for GenCon, I'm not sure that there'll be any Star Wars Saga there. Last year, they had a special preview adventure for Dawn of Defiance at GenCon, but that was basically the first part of the first adventure. The length of the Dawn of Defiance adventures doesn't make them well-suited for con play.

The Star Wars Designer, Rodney Thompson stated that he had just finished design of an RPGA adventure for Star Wars. It was a KotoR adventure and was for Gen Con since the Kotor book comes out there. So hopefully there will be something at Gen Con.

Umm, they already are going to be at Origins, and have been all along. That's where the final Core adventures for LG, and the Xen'drik finale, are going to premiere.

Really? I had not seen anything stating that. They are not listed as having a booth or being a sponsor. Or are you saying that the RPGA will be running stuff at Origins? That would make sense. Last year Wizards did not even have a booth at Origins, but I did some some RPGA stuff.

Gen Con moving to Indy has really hurt Origins sadly.

Thanks,
Duncan
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/vadersson/faa74bff5e439e58a6ee9517c419c849.jpg?v=73986) Star Wars Saga Edition forever!
Got an email reminding me to register for KublaCon and talking about 4e events. After looking into the catalog I found this. I really hope that date is wrong. Or is this a hint that WotC has already decided about Gencon and has pushed back the campaign until the next DDXP?

Living Forgotten Realms 4ed Preview!

Start time:
, 12:00 AM
Category
OTHR
Duration
0 Hour

Description

RPGA@KublaCon has been granted the rights to run the LFR preview LFR-P-01 Escape from Sembia (4ed). Come and join us and play in the new upcoming Living Campaign that starts Jan 2009!

The LFR admins have not been told of any change to the launch of LFR and we are busy writing the first wave of adventures.

Keith
The Star Wars Designer, Rodney Thompson stated that he had just finished design of an RPGA adventure for Star Wars. It was a KotoR adventure and was for Gen Con since the Kotor book comes out there. So hopefully there will be something at Gen Con.

Ah, OK.

Really? I had not seen anything stating that. They are not listed as having a booth or being a sponsor. Or are you saying that the RPGA will be running stuff at Origins? That would make sense. Last year Wizards did not even have a booth at Origins, but I did some some RPGA stuff.

I have no idea if WotC will have a booth in the Exhibit Hall, but RPGA HQ is going to Origins, and running a full slate of events. (I note this because, two years ago, RPGA HQ did *not* go to Origins, but they returned last year.)
Ya the end adventures for all the 3.5 campaigns will be at origins with the RPGA. they may not have a booth (not sure if they have even had one the last few years) but the RPGA will definitely be there.
So I guess the questions ARE...Were the LFR event blurbs given to GenCon LLC to post in the events list? OR

Is the e-mail saying that WOTC is 'holding off on' GenCon Indy 2008 for now, because of bankruptcy true?

Mike

Follow me on Twitter at qstor2

My website

Sign In to post comments