Okay, practically, how can I become a member?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello,

I am asking how to become a member of the RPGA?

I need an event, I need an event where RPGA people are present.

So I clicked the Calendar link at the left of this forums page.
http://events.wizards.com/rpgaweb/external/calendar.asp

I chose for the Country "Germany" and then I went on looking at
each month fro April to December.

Hey, there are two (2 , 3-1 , 1+1 , 2²-2, ...) events between
now(April) and December. Each of both hundreds of kilometers
away from me. And one of them is even today
No chance, not even close chance for me to get there ...

Excuse me, but what is this for a b$%&&*§$?

I can become a member of communities of billion-dollar companies
by entering my data in some web-form.
But for an informal community of an informal hobby I need a
burocratic process involving events which don't exist?
And no one can argue against web-form just because I don't want
to be greeted in the RPGA events with "Hello, Mickey Mouse!" - you
know what I mean?-.

Okay, here is a person who wants to become a member and who also
has the motivation to get involved with supporting this fan group.

But there is no way to getting involved as long as I can see.
The adventures are closed - no one can get them -, the membership
is bound to burocratic processes, the events are not existing.

It is not that I want to become a member "JUST NOW", "AT THIS MOMENT".
But even with my shaolin-monk-patience I cannot see a way to by waiting until August, or September...

And now?

an asking and confused
sunmaster
I understand your irritation. But I believe they have their own reasons.

Signup was done online a long time ago, but so many fake accounts were created that they gave up and said that they wanted proof that a person existed and wanted to play before they gave membership.

Or something like that. Maybe you can get someone in your area that has some membership cards to spare to send them to you? I'm sure someone will help.
JJef, Thank you for your answer.

The thing is that an RPGA guy here from Germany contacted me.
And I wrote him back but 'til today he didn't respond.
This is __not__ a criticism of this person. He has surely very good
reasons to not write back.

BUT with this said, the whole thing to get a membership or not
is hanging from one person.

A one source of failure should not be for the RPGA.
There should be other ways ...

(And there should be events to begin with: How does it come that
in Germany there are no events for the coming 4E+FR+LFR ? )
Two factors:

Only public events get put on the events calendar. In Europe, (based on my experience in the UK) the vast, vast majority of RPGA events are 'home' events, which are not publicised on the open-access calendar.

Events only get onto the calendar once they have been ordered. For various reasons, including the difficulty in adding modules after an event has been ordered, this tends not to happen much before 14 days before the event, so looking ahead isn't helpful.

There also seems to be reasonably regular occurance of play which is not properly ordered, or which is ordered for a different day, or retroactively. This is a breach of the RPGA rules, but I am pretty sure it happens quite a lot.

Together these make the events calendar pretty useless for planning ahead. The way to find RPGA events is to either find a convention or a group of players, perhaps who meet at a game store, and find out if they're running any RPGA modules, or convince them to do so.

As the majority of RPGA play at the moment is Living Greyhawk, you might find useful contacts at the Living Adri Yahoo! Group (http://de.groups.yahoo.com/group/Living_Adri/) which is where the German and Austrian region for Living Greyhawk is publicised and organised.

If that fails (and it shouldn't!) you could come to GenCon UK - be at the European launch of Living Forgotten Realms! - in August (www.consupport.com)

Alternatively post back here and see if someone can send you a blank membership card you can send off to WotC in Seattle. That can also work; see the How to get an RPGA number sticky thread.

Running D&D Adventurers League events in Sheffield, UK from August. Contact me for more details.

Part of the stated reason they removed the on-line sign up option had to do with Hasbro lawyers legal concern over collecting data on minors (juveniles) without the permission of guardians.

The yahoo lists are a good way to make some contacts as well as inquire at local game shops about game days and retail events, which will also offer signups.

RPGA routinely sends blank membership cards to Event Organzers; I just got some more a few days ago. Hopefully someone closer could get you a card quicker than I could, but if that doesn't work, drop me a PM with your address and I will forward a blank card.

Keith
Keith Hoffman LFR Writing Director for Waterdeep
(And there should be events to begin with: How does it come that in Germany there are no events for the coming 4E+FR+LFR ? )

Aside from limited previews at limited conventions, there aren't any 4E/LFR events for anyone, simply because the campaign isn't ready for play yet.

LFR will begin at GenCon and shortly thereafter we should be able to sanction events for play ourselves.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

I understand your irritation. But I believe they have their own reasons.

Signup was done online a long time ago, but so many fake accounts were created that they gave up and said that they wanted proof that a person existed and wanted to play before they gave membership.

Or something like that. Maybe you can get someone in your area that has some membership cards to spare to send them to you? I'm sure someone will help.

Yeah, I recall one guy who had seven accounts so his "friend" (account 2) could "run" games for he (account 1) and his "friends" (accounts 3 - 7) so that when he went to conventions he could have the ubberest PC on the block.
It wasn't so much fake accounts (although that is a problem), as it was people would register online but then never attend an event. Yet those numbers would forevermore be unusable. It was starting to take a toll on the infrastructure. And yes, there was a huge legal issue with the gathering of information on minors without parental consent.
I know the feeling.

Here I am in Nashville, TN, and the closest event is Clarksville. Okay, that's an hour+ away, and further, it's on a Sunday, and I work Sundays.

I'm just wanting to get this so I can do home-run games of LFR and convention run games (I do game rooms at conventions) as well.

But I can't even pass the Hearld test until I'm a member. So you can see the frustration :P
But the best thing follows (the most fresh developments here in GER):
Here in Germany is one person who is the RPGA master - whatever this position is called - and he wanted to give adventure sessions(the RPGA LFR adventures) at cons - or at least one con -.
But he was stopped. Someone told him that he must not give these sessions.
Noone knows, if he was stopped by WoTC/Hasbro - there are some rumors that they stopped him - or if the company that is responsible for the German translations stopped him - there are also rumors pointing in their direction-.

Whatever: The lasting effect is that a person here who wants to play these adventure(s) of the LFR cannot because not only there are no events
BUT THE ONES THAT ARE PLANNED ARE STOPPED BY SOME $$$COMPANY$$$

Okay, finito ... If this is the RPGA , a closed up only for family members - imagining pictures from mafia movies - meeting space
if this is the RPGA , a club which holds back their written adventures ,
if this is the RPGA , a club where someone cannot freely contribute - only family members can contribute -
if this is the RPGA , a club where someone planning an event is stopped by some greedy mother company

then it is nothing for me.

I wish you fun and much rewards in your coming adventures.

Farewell
regards
sunmaster
The 4th edition adventures are not available for RPGA play until 6th June 2008. This is clear from the RPGA database. There are always restrictions on what is available when, and RPGA events have to abide by them. From 6th June, no-one can stop any RPGA Herald Level GM organising events running the two preview adventures. From late August/early September, no-one can stop any RPGA Herald Level GM organising events running Living Forgotten Realms adventures. But until then there are no 4th Edition adventures available through the RPGA.

There is often a significant amount of misunderstanding when people think that things should be available outside the parameters set by WotC/the RPGA.

The modules from D&D XP are being made available at various locations, but it appears to be being organised by the distributors of D&D material outside the US. In the UK, this is Esdveium Games. I would expect that it might be the German translator who is holding it up in Germany, if that's what is happening. This has nothing to do with the RPGA, technically - it is between WotC and the distributors.

The RPGA is not a closed club. It is a club which 'holds back' its adventures - because those are often the legal requirements based on the contracts with the authors. Although they are available for free, they are not available without complying with conditions, such as only running them within the rules.

I hope that Living Forgotten Realms thrives in Germany. Note that there is almost no point to the RPGA except for Living Greyhawk and Xen'drik Expeditions (until the end of the year) and Living Forgotten Realms thereafter. LFR doesn't start until August, so, essentially, there's no point in worrying about the RPGA until then, unless you want to join the tail ends of the 3.5 campaigns. Don't blame the RPGA for WotC/distributors' approaches - believe me there is enough to complain about the RPGA independent of that!

Running D&D Adventurers League events in Sheffield, UK from August. Contact me for more details.

The 4E Preview adventures were really created to showcase the coming 4E D&D game system in advance of the 4E release (hence, the term Preview), not as much to showcase the Forgotten Realms in 4E. As such WotC has an official plan and in Europe, that apparently involves the Hasbro folks. One of the LFR regional admins offered to unofficially run the 4E Previews but there were concerns raised by the Hasbro reps about the manner of the previews. It is really more of a Hasbro/WotC marketing issue than the RPGA. As stated, come June 6th, any RPGA member (Herald GM) can order them and run them.

RPGA will start releasing the actual LFR adventures in August (first show is Gencon 2008). The adventures are being written now. No coordination with Hasbro will be needed.

Keith
Keith Hoffman LFR Writing Director for Waterdeep
I just recently became a member.

All I did was email the guys at RPGA and within 3 days I was a member. I sent my first email on a Sunday, and got a same day response from a real person.

It took a little bit of digging, but I found it. I even got 100xp from the DM of Life... and a day later I leveled to Herald!

http://wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg/php/enduser/acct_login.php

There is a little tab in the main frame that says "email us". It is by the tab that says "instant answers" and "my stuff."

You have to sign up for an online account, then you have to fill out an email form with the following information:

First Name:

Last Name:

Mailing Address:

City:

State/Province:

Zip/Postal Code:

Phone Number:

Birth Date:

E-Mail Address:

And let them know you would like to sign up for membership in the RPGA.

Hope this helps.