A few questions for RPGA Mod's and whatnot.

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok so as I understand, I am a RPGA herald level judge at the moment, which means I still will be when 4E hits the shelves, Right? I've been told that I don't have to take a test atleast for right now. Is that correct?

Also I have a couple of followup questions.

1. When will I be able to start running games/conventions/gamedays?

2. Who do I talk to about setting up Con's? I work as a front desk manager for a hotel, and get both room rentals, and show rooms extreamly cheap. I want to make sure that I can do things right, but have no experiance running anything more then a game day.

3. Anything other pertenant info I should know concerning RPGA judge-dom and con running?

Thanks in advance,

-Rob
Kagehito, this is _not_ an attack - because maybe it will sound as something like that I want make it clear before asking -:

Should a veteran herald level judge of the RPGA not know the answers to these questions?

I am asking to better understand the structures of the RPGA (as a newcomer).
I thought that to become a herald level judge you had to be able to make and organise events?
Ok so as I understand, I am a RPGA herald level judge at the moment, which means I still will be when 4E hits the shelves, Right? I've been told that I don't have to take a test atleast for right now. Is that correct?

Also I have a couple of followup questions.

1. When will I be able to start running games/conventions/gamedays?

2. Who do I talk to about setting up Con's? I work as a front desk manager for a hotel, and get both room rentals, and show rooms extreamly cheap. I want to make sure that I can do things right, but have no experiance running anything more then a game day.

3. Anything other pertenant info I should know concerning RPGA judge-dom and con running?

Thanks in advance,

-Rob

I'll give the short version of the answers, and others can elaborate:

If you have passed the current RPGA Herald Level test, then you will still be a Herald Level judge when the RPGA switches over to 4e rules. There may be a time when a judge will have to "renew" their rules test to cover 4e, but that has not been announced.

You do not need to have any affiliation with the RPGA to run home games, game days, or conventions. You need to be a Herald Level DM to ORDER RPGA EVENTS for home play, game days, or conventions. As soon as you pass the test, you should be able to order events and run all of those types of events.

While you don't have to talk to anyone in order to set up and run a convention, I would STRONGLY suggest you recruit veterans of the RPGA to help you. Remember, to run a convention you need players. And as soon as you have players, you need enough DMs to handle those players.

I'm sure people have lots and lots of advice on running conventions--too much to handle in one post. Just remember that in order to be called a convention, you have to run 25 tables of games over a two-three day span.

Shawn
Kagehito, this is _not_ an attack - because maybe it will sound as something like that I want make it clear before asking -:

Should a veteran herald level judge of the RPGA not know the answers to these questions?

I am asking to better understand the structures of the RPGA (as a newcomer).
I thought that to become a herald level judge you had to be able to make and organize events?

Herald level judges are expected to be proficient at using the core rules and following the RPGA guidelines to adjudicate play. While you must be a herald level judge to order modules, set up a game day, set up a con, etc it is not necessary to be proficient in these things to be a herald level judge. They really don't test you on your ability to organize a con.

Personally I am a master level judge and have never organized anything larger than a game day.
Sunmaster, To answer your question, Yes a VETERAN Herald level DM should probably be able to answer those questions, though I am in no way a Veteran at all.

The Herald level DM is the very first teir DM an is only one step up above player level in the RPGA. Though I too have only ran a few events at my store, I also did DM for the D&D game day at my local game store.

Shawn,
Thanks for the answers there, that gives me a more focused approch to my unanswered questions, so thanks! So I must then pose some more questions that need answering then..

-Where is the best place to find RPGA players then? After asking around at my local stores, I've only come across about 2-3 RPGA members...

-Do you know anyone who is a Veteran at running con's? I would really like to utilize the free conferance centers that I get at my hotel to provide an almost free con environment. Maybe free attendance and only purchase of event tickets... I don't know yet, cause like I said, I've had almost no experiance setting up anyhitng bigger then a day's worth of events.

Thanks again,
-Rob
-Where is the best place to find RPGA players then? After asking around at my local stores, I've only come across about 2-3 RPGA members...

-Do you know anyone who is a Veteran at running con's? I would really like to utilize the free conferance centers that I get at my hotel to provide an almost free con environment. Maybe free attendance and only purchase of event tickets... I don't know yet, cause like I said, I've had almost no experiance setting up anyhitng bigger then a day's worth of events.

Thanks again,
-Rob

Rob,

Two suggestions for the first question. Go to the RPGA website, look at the calendar for RPGA events and sort on those in your state. If you can find events someone else is running, you can 1) go to the event and meet other gamers, or 2) contact the event organizer and ask for help. Second you can search on Yahoo for RPGA lists in your general area. They vary but some areas have open lists to advertize cons and provide a contact media. Word of mouth is also a method, but more random.

Dave Christ who does post on these boards runs mega cons, but there are a number of RPGA gamers who are experienced at various sized events.

As Shawn recommended, for a newbie event organizer, I recommend if possible to work at least once with some other event organizer to learn practical tricks and contacts. However, it tends to break down to:

1) what sort of adventures do you want to run? (is there a local demand for them?)
2) how many DMs do you know or can contact or request for help?
3) how big of an event did you want to shoot for? suggestion -- start small.
4) if you can organize a team/committee to help divide up the work, great idea.
5) arrange a venue -- check the RPGA calendar to try to avoid having an event on the same date as another event in your area
6) what about a budget? are you going to charge for the event? per game?
7) schedule, sessions per day (one day, multiple days)?
8) how will you advertise? will you do on-line registration?
9) any setup? any breakdown?
10) prizes? (generally not necessary)
11) ordering adventures
12) what DMs run what adventures? how many tables of each, etc.?
13) what about slot 0s for your judges (DMs) and staff?
14) do you compensate your DMs/staff in any way?
15) is marshalling players to tables a concern?

If any of these terms are new to you, ask.

Keith
Keith Hoffman LFR Writing Director for Waterdeep
Rob,

Two suggestions for the first question. Go to the RPGA website, look at the calendar for RPGA events and sort on those in your state. If you can find events someone else is running, you can 1) go to the event and meet other gamers, or 2) contact the event organizer and ask for help. Second you can search on Yahoo for RPGA lists in your general area. They vary but some areas have open lists to advertize cons and provide a contact media. Word of mouth is also a method, but more random.

Dave Christ who does post on these boards runs mega cons, but there are a number of RPGA gamers who are experienced at various sized events.

As Shawn recommended, for a newbie event organizer, I recommend if possible to work at least once with some other event organizer to learn practical tricks and contacts. However, it tends to break down to:

1) what sort of adventures do you want to run? (is there a local demand for them?)
2) how many DMs do you know or can contact or request for help?
3) how big of an event did you want to shoot for? suggestion -- start small.
4) if you can organize a team/committee to help divide up the work, great idea.
5) arrange a venue -- check the RPGA calendar to try to avoid having an event on the same date as another event in your area
6) what about a budget? are you going to charge for the event? per game?
7) schedule, sessions per day (one day, multiple days)?
8) how will you advertise? will you do on-line registration?
9) any setup? any breakdown?
10) prizes? (generally not necessary)
11) ordering adventures
12) what DMs run what adventures? how many tables of each, etc.?
13) what about slot 0s for your judges (DMs) and staff?
14) do you compensate your DMs/staff in any way?
15) is marshalling players to tables a concern?

If any of these terms are new to you, ask.

Keith

Keith,

Thanks for the response! Thanks for laying out all the groundwork for me on this!

Really, what I'm going for is trying to set up some sort of monthly game day, with a blow out con once a year. Since I work at a hotel and get free conferance centers, most of the time, everything is going to be 100% free. I'm really in the pre-pre set up right now, just gathering my resources for when LFR breaks ground. I want to get in from the begining, and get a good foothold for the lifespan of the game.

Your information has been more then helpful, and gives me a good sort of checklist to square away to make sure I have some successful events.

Thanks again!

-Rob
As far as "how to find players", I think the best venues are the regional Yahoo groups (honestly, this RPGA board sees nowhere near the traffic that the Yahoo groups do). Each LG region has one, I bet that each LFR region will have one, and many areas have less-formal Yahoo groups for organizing RPGA play. I'd say, as a starting point there, find and join your LG region's group, and your LFR region's group, if there is one.

Though your venue might be of no cost to you, you may find it useful to be able to offer swag (snacks, gaming supplies, even free lodging if it's a longer event) in order to attract judges. For that reason alone, it might be worthwhile to charge a small admission fee, or a per-game fee, to your players.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"