English Mods?

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Will all mods from all regions be available in English?
Yes.

Shawn
LFR - Global Admin
This is interesting.

Does this mean that all modules will have to be originally written in English? Is there much chance of recruiting authors from the Southern Europe/Turkey and the Central/South America regions who will be happy writing in English?

Running D&D Adventurers League events in Sheffield, UK from August. Contact me for more details.

Will the modules be written in local languages at least? Not everyone is good at english, or caring to play in english - important for me.
To the best of my knowledge, all material created and distributed by the Living Forgotten Realms campaign needs to be reviewed and approved by WotC. I can't imagine them having the time or money to spend translating material from various languages into English for approval purposes. So while I cannot answer your question about writers being happy to write in English, I feel safe in saying that all adventures will be available in English at some point in the process.

Obviously international distribution of material to non-English speakers is an issue, but it is an issue that is beyond my expertise. No matter how it is handled by RPGA HQ and WotC, someone is going to feel slighted or be inconvenienced. Hopefully a solution can be reached that allows the most number of players to participate without overburdening the campaign staff and those at WotC who have given increased attention to RPGA material.

Shawn
LFR - Global Admin
Indeed, the language battle was already fought once, and that's why the Southern Europe Point of Contact is a lone voice in the wilderness. The extant RPGA infrastructure in France had some issues with English being the campaign's lingua franca and apparently decided to play something else.

So, no, you don't really have good chances of recruiting writers from some of those regions. One would hope that the Writing Directors aren't constrained to utilising in-region talent.
So, no, you don't really have good chances of recruiting writers from some of those regions. One would hope that the Writing Directors aren't constrained to utilising in-region talent.

Authors will be sourced and appointed at the discretion of the regional Writing Director and may be from anywhere in the world.

Joe
Joe Fitzgerald | joerpga[at]yahoo[dot]com[dot]au LFR Global Administrator
Authors will be sourced and appointed at the discretion of the regional Writing Director and may be from anywhere in the world.

Or other worlds!
Also bear in mind that the two main-land Europe regions are both multi-lingual within themselves, each of them having (off the top of my head) a dozen languages to choose from for all of the paperwork.

Its not going to be an easy thing to coordinate.
I do think that Northern Europe/Russia will have an easier time of it, though - I might be mistaken, but I believe that in LG, the modules in both Naerie and Sunndi were written and usually played in English. While it'll be desirable to translate them into German and Russian (etc), at least there is probably a reasonably large population used to playing D&D in English, which would strike me as the main qualification for providing translations.

I'm not as sure that Southern Europe/Turkey is as used to gaming in English. LG regions in Greece, Italy, and Spain never seemed to get off the ground, and the French region was entirely run in French, I think. Similarly with the South/Central American region - although as there wasn't an LG region there, I do not know how large the English-speaking D&D-playing population is!

Running D&D Adventurers League events in Sheffield, UK from August. Contact me for more details.

Here, in Brazil, every module of Living Greyhawk is played in English. Perhaps that's not precise. Our GM reads the module in English and we play in Portuguese.

We have a large English-speaking population (and growing), but there's a reasonable group asking for translations.
Here, in Brazil, every module of Living Greyhawk is played in English. Perhaps that's not precise. Our GM reads the module in English and we play in Portuguese.

We have a large English-speaking population (and growing), but there's a reasonable group asking for translations.

Exactly the same is true for Turkey. (Except we play in Turkish, of course. :P )

Baris
Actually, the scenarios are written in English in Sunndi, but that does not mean they are run in English. Most people around here play in Dutch with a high amount of English gamingterms mixed in. Whether or not the boxed texts are read aloud in English depends on the circumstances, but most DMs try to paraphrase them in Dutch on the fly. Of course, when we have visitors who can only run a game in English, most of the LG players can easily switch to English. Still, it is always difficult to say whether 99.5% of the LG English speak English fluent enough to game in it because you can only get the gaming books in English or because so many Dutch speak English fluent enough there are no translations available ;) (In the end it is probably a bit of both.)

Side-note: one other reason we use English in Sunndi is that if we would use Dutch, we would also need to write adventures in French and German. We just do not have the resources to do so.
Yeah, in Finland we game in Finnish, but the adventures and game terms themselves tend to be in English or anglicisms. When mixed with the regular geek slang and inside jokes that we speak, it can be quite impenetrable to outsiders. Boxed text is sometimes read aloud in English, sometimes translated on the fly. Someone once asked for a Finnish translation, and sensing his weakness, we fell upon him as a pack of wolves falls upon a wounded deer, and feasted on his warm flesh.

The Swedes, Norwegians and Danes probably play in a similar style, though I'm not sure what their opinion is on devouring their own. They may soak them in lye first.

The Germans are the only ones in the Northern Europe region who have been asking for translations, I think. In Living Greyhawk they had some or all of their modules in German, I believe. Because of the language barrier, they got to do their own thing with more independence than other regions for a number of years. I've heard stories of modules being written with special conditions applying to specific, named player characters, and of a cert that allowed a character to have a 20th-level wizard cast a wish for him.

This is why I think that a unified language for the whole campaign is a good idea.

Then we've got all those Slavic countries who'd probably need translated modules, but we've yet to get any indication that they care about RPGA one way or another, or even if they play D&D over there.
I tried to translate during the game some boxed texts and it was awful. Now a try to prepare before some translations.

I don't know if WotC/RPGA will allow module's translations, but if they do it'll be good to expand the campaign to another players.
In Living Greyhawk they had some or all of their modules in German, I believe. Because of the language barrier, they got to do their own thing with more independence than other regions for a number of years. I've heard stories of modules being written with special conditions applying to specific, named player characters, and of a cert that allowed a character to have a 20th-level wizard cast a wish for him.

Believe me: not all rumours are true! And I've seen enough ARs from around the world with weird stuff on it! Including other european regions that wrote the stuff in english...

Frank Roters
Innspa/Adri Triad since 2003 and still three month to go...
There is/was a group of gamers in Poland, but most of my contact with fellow gamers is through the RPGA and Living Greyhawk, and since those areas do not have a LG region chances are they had few reasons to contact me.

As for other regions, lets not start complain about LG regions in a LFR board please.
Yes.

Shawn
LFR - Global Admin

Glad to hear it.