Writing adventures

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
I saw in a James Wyatt interview that he took the time to talk to the LFR staff about the adventure writing philosophy of 4E. Can anyone comment as to what the philosopy is? I'm very curious on how they intend to change the design of adventures as well as what to expect in LFR.
I don't know for sure, but I assume it must include
High adventure
Low magic... at first
tall halflings
lootable gnomes
gnome tossing

and a flying cave trout.
Actually, I don't know much more than the average reader of WOTC boards, but I do want to post an outline of my first writing submission.

It will be a heartfelt tale of baby purple worm, lost and wandering outside his native Purple Sands Desert.

The Heroes will have the moral dilemma of saving a baby Hughie that is inadvertently destroying the local towns and somehow leading it back to its sandy home .....

or having a month long BBQ and feeding three small towns with purple meat!

(Yes, there will be the obligatory lootable gnomes encounter.)

(This idea is now trademarked.)
(Yes, there will be the obligatory lootable gnomes encounter.)

For what it's worth, gnomes appeared in one of the Delve encounters and it was acutally a pretty fun combat. Their hallucinatory terrian ability is a pretty interesting wrinkle to combat.
So LFR is replacing the OTA (obligatory thug attack) with the OGA? Woot!!!Sign me up!
Gnome haters....

When will it stop.

Why can't we all just get along and agree to hate those useless half-elfs.
Returning to the original thread topic of writing adventures.

I can't comment on the workshop; I wasn't there sadly. They needed all the 4E DMs they had. Moreover, I suspect much of the discussion was elaboration of the content in the DMG, which is still, you guessed it, protected by our NDAs. In time, it will be shared.

Chris Tulach is working on LFR Writers Guidelines; hopefully he will have those available in April. Chris will provide details, but the following is a bit of the concept to which we are moving.

The intent of both RPGA and WotC is to professionalize the adventures. Rather than think of the authors as volunteers for the RPGA, think of them as freelance professional authors, accepting assignments to design LFR adventures for WotC. A scenario may be assigned to an author who is given a must-meet schedule. If they don't meet the schedule, the assignment is pulled and reassigned. We will still make room for newbie authors, but they may have to complete a draft without an assignment in the production schedule. The authors will be able to cite their adventures as publication credits, which could be useful if they are seeking further writing work.

Keith Hoffman
LFR USA-NC Co-Writing Director (Waterdeep)
Keith Hoffman LFR Writing Director for Waterdeep
... Can anyone comment as to what the philosopy is? I'm very curious on how they intend to change the design of adventures as well as what to expect in LFR.

I'm interested in this for my own edification so I hope you don't mind me joking around in your post.

In all seriousness, I can't speak to overall philosophy but there are writing directors for each of the regions. In fact, our regional writer is calling for writing samples.

In addition, there will be meta-organizations and said he will need writers for that.

This all assumes that they or someone will outline FR-ness adventure philosophies. Maybe it will be more based on regional flare with only cursory over arching FR-ness.
This all assumes that they or someone will outline FR-ness adventure philosophies. Maybe it will be more based on regional flare with only cursory over arching FR-ness.

Chris Tulach will define the overall LFR adventure philosophy, and the regional Writing Directors will add their spin on their respective regions.

Keith
I am greatly looking forward to FR adventures after the spell plauge.

I haven't played FR since the 2nd ed grey box, and missed all the happenings of 3rd cause i was distracted by Eberron. (damn Shifters and Warforged... in a good way.)

I would really like to know what sort of ideals and arching plots they will be comming up with, and hope to soon be running said adventures as soon as possible. I am trying to get some adventure writing under my belt, but I cant get the final stages done. (i'm doing all the cartography myself, and it's not up to my very high standards yet.)

Anyone have any info on either playstyles, key plot points, or anything i should really know about the realms since i've been away?
(As far as the last one, I've read the Orc King, and have read all the Realms articles that has been put out here on Wizards, so i'm fairly up to date with the general history.)
Keith,

How does one begin the process of applying to be an LFR author? I am a previously published RPGA author who only played a small amount during the whole 3e/3.5e era. I am excited about 4e and will be plunging headfirst into it. I've also published a couple of modules using the OGL/OSRIC license, but am abandoning the old-school approach in favor of 4e. I can provide full published module samples.

Also, when will the GM Tests be changed over to 4e?

My website with links to my old-school modules can be found at http://www.magiqueproductions.com/roa.htm

My previously published RPGA modules were The Forgotten Isle, Darkness Rising, and The Magic Balance.

I am located in Henderson, NV just outside Las Vegas. I don't know who, if anyone, is in charge of this region.
My LFR Modules:
Show
EAST1-3 Unbidden (H3) EAST2-3 Nightmares (P1) NETH3-1 Secrets and Shadows (Paragon Tier) (Author) ELTU3-6 True Blue (Heroic Tier) (Author) EPIC3-3 The Tangled Skein of Destiny (Co-Author) ABER4-3 A Little Rebellion (Paragon Tier) (Author) WATE4-1 Paying the Piper (Heroic Tier) (Co-Author)
Geography is likely less important in LFR than it was in LG (though it helps if people are on the same region - or time zone - for communication).
I suggest that you find a region that you wish to write for, and communicate your interest and any previous experience to the PoC of that region, who will bring you into contact with the Writing Director.
Note that it will likely be until june (when the books come out) before any actual selection of authors will take place.

Pierre "Gomez' van Rooden
Dalelands Writing Director
Thanks for the tip, gomeztoo. I am trying to contact my regional director, but can't find the contact information. I've e-mailed Keith to see if he knows. The director for my region is Mike Rizzo.
My LFR Modules:
Show
EAST1-3 Unbidden (H3) EAST2-3 Nightmares (P1) NETH3-1 Secrets and Shadows (Paragon Tier) (Author) ELTU3-6 True Blue (Heroic Tier) (Author) EPIC3-3 The Tangled Skein of Destiny (Co-Author) ABER4-3 A Little Rebellion (Paragon Tier) (Author) WATE4-1 Paying the Piper (Heroic Tier) (Co-Author)
Keith,

How does one begin the process of applying to be an LFR author? I am a previously published RPGA author who only played a small amount during the whole 3e/3.5e era. I am excited about 4e and will be plunging headfirst into it. I've also published a couple of modules using the OGL/OSRIC license, but am abandoning the old-school approach in favor of 4e. I can provide full published module samples.

Also, when will the GM Tests be changed over to 4e?

My website with links to my old-school modules can be found at http://www.magiqueproductions.com/roa.htm

My previously published RPGA modules were The Forgotten Isle, Darkness Rising, and The Magic Balance.

I am located in Henderson, NV just outside Las Vegas. I don't know who, if anyone, is in charge of this region.

Tom,

If you want to write in your local region (which is Pacific which is responsible for the East Rift), then contacting your region POC and Writing Director is the way to go. I just emailed you their email addresses. If you want to write for another region, then you need to contact them.

We have a LFR Writers Guidelines and a LFR Adventure Template which I think will be made available to (non-staff) authors on June 6th. We also have an LFR Adventure Proposal Template if you want to propose a scenario yourself (instead of being assigned a scenario by the regional Writing Director). That template can be requested now. (Mr Tulach has been a busy fellow creating these documents.)

Most likely your regional Writing Director will be interested in looking at a sample of your work, even if it was 3E or non-D&D. He/she may also ask you to draft a sample 4E encounter to see if you understand the 4E mechanics and what you think is an interesting encounter in 4E FR. This may differ by region.

Because of the timing of the release of the 4E core books (June 6), many regions may not want to discuss assigning plots to authors or committing to schedules until after that date and reviewing above sample encounters. Also, since the FRCS is not released until August, that may present some initial headache for an author writing for even the third wave of adventures, depending upon how much information is available on that region. (Claire and I have some advantage in that regard that Waterdeep has not changed radically.)

So far as the RPGA Herald GM test, I think Ian Richards said by the end of the year? If you are currently a Herald level GM, he said the presumption would be made that you would study the 4E rules and no new test would be needed to maintain your Herald status.

I will urge the LFR pocs to make their contact information available on one of these boards.

Keith
Thanks for the information. Everything was very helpful. I look forward to receiving that e-mail.
My LFR Modules:
Show
I received the e-mail and I've sent off an e-mail to Bill. Thanks again for all your help. I look forward to ramping up on 4e and really sinking my teeth into this exciting new edition of D&D.
My LFR Modules:
Show