East Rift

42 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm hoping someone knows or heard where this is?

Is it a new place or the eastern side of Shaar?

It seems having one of the largest player base population (Pacific US) assigned to an unknown place is a bit mysterious.
Yeah, this is something I'd also like to know the answer to. What is the East Rift?
You know the Gold Dwarven kingdom of the Great Rift (think grand canyon with dwarves living in the walls with mines everywhere).

Well, the entire west side of the great rift fell into a large cavern in the underdark during the spellplague. Only the east side of the rift was left, probably making it look more like a cliff than a canyon now.
Check out my free online comic! Familiar Ground Fantasy Humor, Familiar Point of View
The east rift is what remains of the great rift after the spellplague.

The Countdown to the Realms speaks a bit about what happens to the western Shaar-namely it collapses into the underdark.

Yes, it's a bit of an unknown area, but it's rich with adventure ideas-there's much, much more to it than you'd think.

I'll be posting more on the boards as I get clearance to do so...

Bill Benham
LFR Pacific Region (East Rift) Writing Director

The Countdown to the Realms speaks a bit about what happens to the western Shaar-namely it collapses into the underdark.

Yes, it's a bit of an unknown area, but it's rich with adventure ideas-there's much, much more to it than you'd think.

Bill Benham

Please do and, if I can beg, add the new map or a link to it if you can make it available.

Heres hoping...
I am thrilled to bits with this announcement. I've been on the edge about LFR, but I was always going to be in if there was a gold dwarf region. And it's my region, too!

This is pure extrapolation from previously posted info, but we've already been informed that 4e dwarves will be much more surface-attuned, farm their own food, live close to and on the surface, have (sadly) beardless women, and no longer see in the dark. So I figure most of the Gold Dwarf Underdark cities will be destroyed (or maybe become surface cities) in the Shaar collapse. There's also been some previous 4e FR info about the relationship between the gold dwarves and the duergar changing due to divine events.

I am quite excited, more than I thought I would be. I've been wanting to play a gold dwarf for many years. I kind of think I'd like to write them too, though I doubt there'll be an opportunity.

Let's put it like this: we got the Dalelands, which are in my totally unbiased opinion the best region ever. :D
However, East Rift? I.m.o. close second. Very close.
Btw I saw a picture on the wotc site of what might possible be the rift (can't be sure, could be something generic instead), and my first response was: It Must Be Mine!!!!!
Can you believe my luck? I live in Florida, which was assigned the Principality of Ulek in Living Greyhawk. Now I'm moving out of Florida to California, and what'd California get assigned? The East Rift. Apparently there's no escaping my Dwarven oppressors... ;)
Please do and, if I can beg, add the new map or a link to it if you can make it available.

Heres hoping...

Maps = good
LFR Characters: Swordmage 20, Warlord 7, Rogue 5, Wizard 4
Looking forward to the 4E launch and especially the reboot of RPGA with LFR.

After reading the "Races & Classes" book, I'm very excited about the potential for living in a region (Blaine, WA) with many shades of dwarves. The fact that we've got such nearby and immediate access to whatever nasties slither through the Underdark makes me proud of our region. Once they open writing submissions, I'm definitely applying to add to what makes our region great!
I'm hoping someone knows or heard where this is?

Is it a new place or the eastern side of Shaar?

It seems having one of the largest player base population (Pacific US) assigned to an unknown place is a bit mysterious.

and also just FYI while the west coast may be huge in size when it comes to player base it falls behind the midwest and the east coast in play numbers. Rack it up to us all being closer or just everything starting here who knows but the midwest is still the king of the player base followed by the east coast, the southeast, south west and then pacific (to the best of my recollection from discussions).

Dave
Dave,

I have to agree with you on that!

It would only take me 20 minutes to get to the front doors of WOTC, yet finding a RPGA playgroup around here requires much more driving then that... go figure? Maybe we just have that "Homegame" motif around here...

-Rob

Bill Benham

I'm still extremely skeptical about getting placed in the rear end of the Realms, but I'd at least like to see what its about before I refuse to play there and adopt another region altogether. Is there an official web site up and running yet or one soon to be released so that I can bookmark it for future reference?
and also just FYI while the west coast may be huge in size when it comes to player base it falls behind the midwest and the east coast in play numbers. Rack it up to us all being closer or just everything starting here who knows but the midwest is still the king of the player base followed by the east coast, the southeast, south west and then pacific (to the best of my recollection from discussions).

Dave

Put some decent cons out here and we shall see who is king...

Gotta make sure people know about them too...
Put some decent cons out here and we shall see who is king...

Gotta make sure people know about them too...

Not my job to put cons anywhere. Cons go where the money and people are. Gencon tried a west coast show and it started out decent and shriveled from there (even though the RPGA part continues to grow each year). Starting a show out there of any size is a big risk because the player base has shown they're just not willing to travel and spend the money to support them.
Not my job to put cons anywhere. Cons go where the money and people are. Gencon tried a west coast show and it started out decent and shriveled from there (even though the RPGA part continues to grow each year). Starting a show out there of any size is a big risk because the player base has shown they're just not willing to travel and spend the money to support them.

Well if you want cons to be successful, people have to know about them, not everyone scours the web looking for a con. I would suggest convincing local gaming stores to receive word about such cons and make the info available from there. Those that frequent the local gaming store in my area at least might be more inclined to attend if they could get some gaming buddies to go with them. Just a suggestion, maybe you guys have already considered these options, I don't know.
Heh. I used to think like that. Until I realised a couple of things:

1) Regardless of good intentions, in the end, some one has to pay for it.
2) The people who can afford to pay for it didn't acquire that amount of money by just giving it to people.
3) Our hobby seems to attract people who expect a lot in return for very little.
4) Giving people a lot for very little will lose you plenty of money.

That's just what I have observed with event management, both professionally and in gaming.

Joe
Joe Fitzgerald | joerpga[at]yahoo[dot]com[dot]au LFR Global Administrator
Well if you want cons to be successful, people have to know about them, not everyone scours the web looking for a con. I would suggest convincing local gaming stores to receive word about such cons and make the info available from there. Those that frequent the local gaming store in my area at least might be more inclined to attend if they could get some gaming buddies to go with them. Just a suggestion, maybe you guys have already considered these options, I don't know.

GenCon SoCal was run and promoted by GenCon LLC, who run GenCon Indy. I don't know how well they marketed it, and many people have gripes about the way GenCon LLC is run, but I expect they went all-out to try to position the convention in a new market. They failed. The reasons for failure will be many, but need to be analysed heavily before anyone attempts anything similar.

Last year, the RPGA provided programming to Penny Arcade Expo - it's probably worth looking out for that happening again.

However, as wavester mentioned, the RPGA only runs one convention, D&D Experience. Every other convention in the world is run by someone or some company who takes the initiative to get it off the ground and then acquire the programming for it, whether from the RPGA or other companies etc. There really isn't anyone who is a valid target for complaining about a lack of local conventions - my inner capitalist says that if there were a market for a convention, one would be run (though my inner capitalist is often insane and says things that mean I beat him for being stupid... profitable gaming conventions are, I believe, few and far between). It's perhaps more meaningful to say: if you think that there ought to be a convention near you, see if you can get some people together to get one running.
Trouble accessing the WotC Customer Service system? See this thread

Currently running LFR and D&D Encounters events in Sheffield, UK. Contact me for more details.

GenCon SoCal was run and promoted by GenCon LLC, who run GenCon Indy. I don't know how well they marketed it, and many people have gripes about the way GenCon LLC is run, but I expect they went all-out to try to position the convention in a new market. They failed. The reasons for failure will be many, but need to be analysed heavily before anyone attempts anything similar.

Last year, the RPGA provided programming to Penny Arcade Expo - it's probably worth looking out for that happening again.

However, as wavester mentioned, the RPGA only runs one convention, D&D Experience. Every other convention in the world is run by someone or some company who takes the initiative to get it off the ground and then acquire the programming for it, whether from the RPGA or other companies etc. There really isn't anyone who is a valid target for complaining about a lack of local conventions - my inner capitalist says that if there were a market for a convention, one would be run (though my inner capitalist is often insane and says things that mean I beat him for being stupid... profitable gaming conventions are, I believe, few and far between). It's perhaps more meaningful to say: if you think that there ought to be a convention near you, see if you can get some people together to get one running.

Thanks for the info, I stand humbled. I only came to the RPGA late last year so my knowledge of how things work is rather limited. Just tryin to make some suggestions to see if we can get some stuff out here

Also, I'd still like the website info for East Rift region if its available
Here's the link to the LFR Pacific US yahoo group

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/lfrpusa/

Took a while to find it myself.

I seem to recall, at the time, that a number of "locals" complained about GCSC following the pricing model that GenCon (and some other conventions, like Origins) followed -- you needed to buy a badge just to get in the door, and then you also needed to buy event tickets for every game you wanted to play in. IIRC, the locals said that their local conventions didn't operate that way (in other words, your badge also paid for your events), and they resented the GC structure.

I think that there were a number of other reasons why GCSC failed (including timing, falling on the weekend before Thanksgiving, when anyone tied to a school schedule couldn't take time off), but that's one that sticks out in my mind.

As a general rule, pedr's right on -- if there's RPGA play of any kind in an area (be it conventions or just a dedicated group playing at home), it's because someone not directly connected with the RPGA made it happen. The RPGA provides adventures, and rewards for play, but it doesn't generally serve as an active organizer of play.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
Here's the link to the LFR Pacific US yahoo group

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/lfrpusa/

Took a while to find it myself.

Hmmm, I guess I was hoping for something more organized and easier for new people to jump into.
Hmmm, I guess I was hoping for something more organized and easier for new people to jump into.

There isn't anything to jump into, yet.

Living Forgotten Realms does not exist. Yes, the promo adventures at D&DXP used the name, but really LFR doesn't exist until GenCon Indy in mid-August. Until then everything we do and say is preliminary, and mostly idle, speculation.

Now, some of the discussions we have might influence the Administrators in the decisions they have to make between now and then. Other discussions will lead to plot ideas, or inspire someone reading to pitch an adventure to the Administrators if/when there are open calls for such things. But basically, we're just chatting about it because we're excited about the possibilities. Come September, I expect there'll be a lot more information, and it'll be a lot better organised.

It's still good advice to join the Yahoo! Group for the region you live in - there's a reasonable possibility that Regional Admins will use them to send out information as they are permitted between now and launch.
Trouble accessing the WotC Customer Service system? See this thread

Currently running LFR and D&D Encounters events in Sheffield, UK. Contact me for more details.

Yeah, I agree!

I just joined so I will have access to the most current information as it comes, because I plan on running some Con's, or at least game days at my hotel ASAP.

PS, If you live in the Washinton, AKA Everett or the surrounding environs, shoot me a PM so we can start planning early. DM's and Players alike, If we band together now, we won't have to waste the time doing so when the flood of information finaly does come. We will be able to sink our teeth into it right away.

Who's with me?!?
actually, Bill (the writing/mod admin for East Rift) is in washington. Won't say where, I don't have his permission. So don't worry about Washington being a dead area. Just shafted!

Steve Kendall
RPGA asst coordinator
Kublacon

www.kublacon.com
Kublacon looks fun but there is no way on earth I'm going back to SF or the bay area in general. It's the most backwards place I've ever seen/been to and I've been to some funky places in the world hehe.
Target marked and locked in ...
Is he now.... Hmmm... Time to bust out my PI kit!

*ninja poof vanish*

but in all seriousness... We should group up now and get the ball rolling ahead of time. How does the phrase go again... "Luck favors the prepared?"
but in all seriousness... We should group up now and get the ball rolling ahead of time. How does the phrase go again... "Luck favors the prepared?"

I agree. I'm totally up for getting a group together in my area to start discussing LFR, putting together cons, playing D&D, whatever. If you live in the Salem, Oregon area and you're interested, shoot me a private message.
All the players on the West Coast are going to be playing in what's left of the great Rift?

We'll all be dwarves?

Everybody on the West Coast is most commonly going to be playing a dwarf.

WTF.
All the players on the West Coast are going to be playing in what's left of the great Rift?

We'll all be dwarves?

WTF.

You can. You don't have to.

We haven't seen yet what sort of metaorgs or benefits that playing a dwarf in region will give. Probably won't til a couple of weeks before campaign launch.

The admins though are aware of the inclusive character type vs. regional flavor argument.

Personally I plan on playing the least played class combined with the least played race. According to Polls on the East Rift yahoogroup, that seems to be a Human Cleric or Fighter.
Check out my free online comic! Familiar Ground Fantasy Humor, Familiar Point of View

No. Players can play any type of (legal) characters in any area of the Realms they want.

We'll all be dwarves?

No. You can play whatever you want, in whatever region you want.

I just don't understand that people aren't grasping the fact that the regional allocation to real-world locations was done primarily for administrative reasons only. It helps when the admins know each other and speak the same language.

Anyone can play, DM, write for and otherwise contribute to ANY region, regardless of where it is based for administration.

Players do not belong to one region, they belong to every region.

Joe

P.S. Since I cannot play Dragon Coast adventures, I am most looking forward to playing East Rift adventures. I love Gold Dwarves!
Joe Fitzgerald | joerpga[at]yahoo[dot]com[dot]au LFR Global Administrator
I am also looking forward to play East Rift scenarios, and even have my character be from that region, but she won't be a dwarf.

Gomez
Go Go Dragonborn Go I can't wait to rip into that race and now it appears Lychanthropes and vampires might be relegated to feat paths DROOL DROOL Dragonborn Lychanthrope Barbarians or Dragonborn Vampire Monks HELL YEAH
No. Players can play any type of (legal) characters in any area of the Realms they want.

Man this sucks, we should be able to play whatever we want (as long as its legal) in whatever region we want. I wish you guys would just hurry up and make this clear. :P
People sometimes accuse me of being too subtle . . .
Yeah, I agree!

I just joined so I will have access to the most current information as it comes, because I plan on running some Con's, or at least game days at my hotel ASAP.

PS, If you live in the Washinton, AKA Everett or the surrounding environs, shoot me a PM so we can start planning early. DM's and Players alike, If we band together now, we won't have to waste the time doing so when the flood of information finaly does come. We will be able to sink our teeth into it right away.

Who's with me?!?

I don't think that the Northwestern Washington area is going to have a problem. I'm fairly certain that the "Seattle Mob" RPGA group is switching over to LFR when it comes out. If I recall correctly, there's another RPGA group in Everett (possibly yours), a small one in North Seattle, and another one in Lacey. To the best of my knowledge, all have gamedays at least once a month.

I suppose the proximity to WotC helps whip us into gaming frenzies.
RPGA in the Spokane WA area has been dead, at least as far as sessions happening in any kind of public places.

I'm hoping that with 4th ed and LFR it can be resurrected here.
For those who want to see where "the East Rift" will be, do a google search for a faerun map. Shaar (the region the rift is in) is located in the lower right-hand side of the map. If you go to the scale in the legend (that red and white line) and go straight up from the '0', you'll find it - it is just beyond the first road you cross.

Unfortunately, this map isn't worth anything if the entire west side has collapsed into the Underdark. I am trying to figure out how it would look with current geography and the only way I could see that side 'collapsing' is if everything from the rift to the Landrise fell in. That would be a HUGE gaping maw in the world directly to the underdark - which is what I think they had in mind.

Now, with this hole, not only would the dwarves of the Rift be in MAJOR trouble, but you also have two major woods to the north and south that border the new hole. You also have a mountain range to the north as well. There is no lack for choices of where your character comes from and/or what race they play.

When I first heard about us having the East Rift, I was a little put off. I personally wanted Waterdeep. However, the more I thought about it - as well as after playing 4e, I am not only looking forward to the adventures to be had with a city that is the first line of defence against where a EPIC force of underdark creatures could pour from but I am even going to play a dwarf (my least favorite race in 3.5 - a personal opinion so please don't start in a dwarven race flame).

I even have a couple of ideas running through my head and, if possible, will volunteer to help create this new land awaiting our adventurers.
RPGA in Southern California is very active at the Strategicon conventions which are held in Los Angeles three times per year over the big three day weekend holidays -

Gateway in September over Labor Day
OrcCon in February over President's Day
Gamex in May over Memorial Day

They have a great team of RPGA volunteers and DMs and put on over 600 player hours of 4e demos at Gamex. I expect them to do a great job with LFR.