Metaregions?

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Are there going to be Metaregions in LFR?
No plans currently. I think not. The Core adventures (which maybe relabeled) will handle multi-regional adventures.

Keith Hoffman
LFR USA-NC Co-Writing Director (Waterdeep)
Keith Hoffman LFR Writing Director for Waterdeep
Damnit.

Australia was producing 40 modules a year for two regions... it's a rather disturbing that our two regions have been merged into one, which will get only 4 mods... now we're holding auditions.
Damnit.

Australia was producing 40 modules a year for two regions... it's a rather disturbing that our two regions have been merged into one, which will get only 4 mods... now we're holding auditions.

On the plus side, the overall quality of all mods in general (not Australia specific) should go up and deadlines will be more likely to be met. Not a jab at authors here, we are simply getting the cream of the crop from every area instead of just our own local crop now.
So far, from what people are speculating and what we know, I'd probably say that while your real world locale may affect your character's starting location, it will not limit you to a particular region of play. Online play makes the concept of region and metaregion adventures as seen in Greyhawk obsolete.
Certain adventures may require time units for characters to travel depending on the distance between the starting region and the place of the adventure.
On the plus side, the overall quality of all mods in general (not Australia specific) should go up and deadlines will be more likely to be met. Not a jab at authors here, we are simply getting the cream of the crop from every area instead of just our own local crop now.

Assuming they don't just go with the guys who can meet deadlines over the people who can write well.

And even if people were writing two modules a year it still means 16 authors sitting out while 4 do all the work. Although, doubling-up would work well. Two authors tag-teaming on a module.

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

If there are indeed as many authors available as some regions suggest, than I assume we will not have a problem where deadlines become more important than quality. Still, if it ever would be a problem, I prefer to have a slot open than to fill it with a low quality adventure. After all, the RPGA is paying for those adventures, and demanding some quality as well as being able to write against a normal schedule is only natural. Note that authors who are slower can always write adventures that have no official slot assigned, but function as a backup in case other adventures get pulled. Certainly not optimal for the author, and I hope it will never be necessary, but experience has taught me otherwise...

Pieter Sleijpen
Global Administrator
They are paying authors?
Yes, all LFR adventure authors, whether Regional or Global, will be paid. And we will have a higher standard of expectation because of this.
Writing Director - Returned Abeir
Yes, all LFR adventure authors, whether Regional or Global, will be paid. And we will have a higher standard of expectation because of this.

I would suggest that, unlike LG, more effort be made in fixing modules with errors in them when they are discovered.

In the past there have been many errors in LG mods that not only were exgregious but something that would not have gone unnoticed for long... yet could be out for nearly 2 years without any errata done for them. Worse 3rd party errata was stifled.

Since there seem to be a lot less modules a year in the new campaign I hope that resources will be devoted to this,

James
I would suggest that, unlike LG, more effort be made in fixing modules with errors in them when they are discovered.

In the past there have been many errors in LG mods that not only were exgregious but something that would not have gone unnoticed for long... yet could be out for nearly 2 years without any errata done for them. Worse 3rd party errata was stifled.

Since there seem to be a lot less modules a year in the new campaign I hope that resources will be devoted to this,

James

I can tell you right now that the Writing Director for Aglarond is very dedicated to quality.
Writing Director - Returned Abeir
Damnit.

ITs not just lack of oppurtunity to wirte/contribute that I am worried about. (I know that is what attracted many people to LG, ability to contribute/actually impact on the region)

I find the biggest worry a lack of regional flavour, how can we have real plotlines, seriious metaorgs, and in depth regional character when we only have 4 modules a year? How is that sufficient to resolve anything long term?

It seems to me we will get four 'raids' ala MMO style eacch region, rather than in depth modules taht carry on story arcs and actually invest characters in the region and long term roleplaying.

If I wanted to wander about random areas and beat on monsters without ANY long term goals, aspirations or regional flavour, I'd play a computer game, not D&D.

When you have 30 modules ovver three years, you can get some really good plot arcs. (See 'A Nation Mocked') Logistically, I cannot see how this is possible with only 4 mods per region, and that alone is the biggest thing I am worried about in 4th edition. Rules changes I can deal with, I can even put up with fanboys and thousands of people playing scantily clad warlocks with horns and busty red cleavage, BUT I expect continuity and plot arcs from an ongoing living campaign.

It's like the point of a 'campaign' and 'regional flavour'...

Why go from such a huge and talented volunteer base ?(yes there are exceptions) with huge Regional flavour to basically playing random 'core' mods only?

I'll play, but I can see that this new system only more encourages the PCs called 'KO' who have no last name, don't care where they are from, and just hit things. (This is a real 14th level PC, couldn't more classic roll-playing than this PC)

I was one of those folk that liked recognising names in mods, and actually ebing able to interact with the module on alevel higher than 'point me to the mobs, and tell me what you'll give me Mr. NPC (no name needed)'

There are a certian number of Gildor Arcanix mods 9Iuz MEtaregion, RUSHED plot arc it seems cos Normally the stuff that is produced is of the best quality I have seen in LG) that are REALLY notorious for this (no regional plothook, little justification for high level PCs other than chance of loot), and thats what I see 4th edition being a bit like.
I find the biggest worry a lack of regional flavour, how can we have real plotlines, seriious metaorgs, and in depth regional character when we only have 4 modules a year? How is that sufficient to resolve anything long term?

It seems to me we will get four 'raids' ala MMO style eacch region, rather than in depth modules taht carry on story arcs and actually invest characters in the region and long term roleplaying.

Congrats Metz. Of all the crazy ways I have seen people attempt to perpetuate the '4E is WoW' myth, this one takes the cake. It even trancends arguments about editions into comparing RPGA campaigns! :P

Do you really think that Perrenland (or any LG region for that matter) would turn into WoW, just because it had 5 adventures as opposed to 8 each year? If not, then why would any LFR region?

When you have 30 modules ovver three years, you can get some really good plot arcs. (See 'A Nation Mocked') Logistically, I cannot see how this is possible with only 4 mods per region, and that alone is the biggest thing I am worried about in 4th edition.

I'm sorry to nitpick, but Perrenland never had 10 modules a year and if any LFR region only releases 4, I'll be extremely surprised. I'd imagine you would be as well, considering one of your earlier points was to register concern that there would be too many people wanting to contribute relative to the opportunities. ;)

Why go from such a huge and talented volunteer base ?(yes there are exceptions) with huge Regional flavour to basically playing random 'core' mods only?

I'll play, but I can see that this new system only more encourages the PCs called 'KO' who have no last name, don't care where they are from, and just hit things. (This is a real 14th level PC, couldn't more classic roll-playing than this PC).

I see you've picked up this particular ball and run a long way ahead with it...sigh. I just cannot see *any* logic behind believing these extremes. Honestly Metz, do you really think we'll start producing random 'core' mods with no plotlines, while encouraging PCs with no backstory just because there will be 5 regional adventures a year instead of 8?

Joe
Joe Fitzgerald | joerpga[at]yahoo[dot]com[dot]au LFR Global Administrator
Do you really think that Perrenland (or any LG region for that matter) would turn into WoW?

[10:03am] [LFG] [Puggle]: LF1M defender for COR1-03... have controller, leader, striker- PST (no bards plz)

On a slightly more serious note... I think... I think I might be converting away from worshiping Britt and instead convert my follows to... JOE!

Oh mighty Joe, whose benevolent presence is keenly felt in these, our hours of need... we defer our trust to you; we know that ye will safely deliver unto us an LFR worthy of praise and glory!

Almighty Joe, The One Whose Hand Shapes What Is, I beseech thee- answer the prayers of your followers! Gift unto us a most-blessed Kobold card for LFR!

All hail Joe!
[10:03am] [LFG] [Puggle]: LF1M defender for COR1-03... have controller, leader, striker- PST (no bards plz)

On a slightly more serious note... I think... I think I might be converting away from worshiping Britt and instead convert my follows to... JOE!

Oh mighty Joe, whose benevolent presence is keenly felt in these, our hours of need... we defer our trust to you; we know that ye will safely deliver unto us an LFR worthy of praise and glory!

Almighty Joe, The One Whose Hand Shapes What Is, I beseech thee- answer the prayers of your followers! Gift unto us a most-blessed Kobold card for LFR!

All hail Joe!

Well thats just great, Puggle.
Now what am I suppose to do with those 1500 Britt holy symbols you ordered, the 2000 'We Love Lord Britt' t-shirts, the 100 'Britt Almighty Action Figure' and 6000 packets of the those little gummy lollies in the shape of Britt's holy symbol?!?!?
It isn't easy trying to manage a fanatic, and your not helping!!! =P

I believe there will be more emphasis in the DM's responsibility in the new campaign. I hope that will mean that DMs will feel less squeamy to deal with errors in modules.
On actually giving out errata: I had the impression that the issue with LG was that this fell to the wayside due to the submission process. Producing errata seemed about as much paperwork as the scenario itself. Hence, with the choice of outing errata or a new scenario, priority was generally given to the scenario.
I can't say how this will work in LFR. Except that we'll try to catch errors before we give scenarios out ;)

As to the lack of plot and cohesion in mods: I can promise you that this is really unlikely to happen, at least in the Dalelands. We are hammering out long term story arcs.
I know that 4 or 5 scenarios does not seem like a whole lot if you have to spread it out between arcs. However, LFR will likely have more opportunities to work with plot ideas.
I hope to work together with other regions (possibly Cormyr and Dragon Coast), share plot elements so that scenarios in one region may be linked, and even actually affect, those in another.
PLus, we can work with plots and continuity outside regular scenarios. IC 'down time' boards where one can spread rumors and hints, or participation with R&D which may result in WotC products that provide hooks into LFR plots.
I can't say how effective those will be, or if any of that will even happen. But I believe that we have huge possibilities here that we didn't have in LG.
I hope to work together with other regions (possibly Cormyr and Dragon Coast), share plot elements so that scenarios in one region may be linked, and even actually affect, those in another.

I love this. I love this a lot. But... seriously now. This is too awesome for me to just say, "Cool" and accept it. It's TOO cool. I'm gunna have to call shenanigans on it for being far, far too wickedly sick.
I believe there will be more emphasis in the DM's responsibility in the new campaign. I hope that will mean that DMs will feel less squeamy to deal with errors in modules.
On actually giving out errata: I had the impression that the issue with LG was that this fell to the wayside due to the submission process. Producing errata seemed about as much paperwork as the scenario itself. Hence, with the choice of outing errata or a new scenario, priority was generally given to the scenario.
I can't say how this will work in LFR. Except that we'll try to catch errors before we give scenarios out ;)

If you don't put a process for dealing with errors that slip through (and they *will* slip through) then it just won't happen.

Yes in LG the way the system was set up it was an uphill battle to get modules fixed.. akin to tilting at windmills.

That those errors went uncorrected spoke greatly against the campaign for me. Its one of those things that I would hope that the subsequent campaign would learn from the prior one's errors. Its one thing that errors slip through a review process. Things like that are bound to happen.. but that they persist after being reported is the shameful part about it.

Best wishes and a laissez-faire attitude will not accomplish anything here. The game system is going to be (to one degree or another) new to everyone involved player, judge, writer and reviewer alike. Simply trying to avoid making mistakes in the first place should not be the last line of defense. Consider how many mistakes make it through in LG where the rules are much more understood than a brand new system is going to be..

-James
Congrats Metz. Of all the crazy ways I have seen people attempt to perpetuate the '4E is WoW' myth, this one takes the cake. It even trancends arguments about editions into comparing RPGA campaigns! :P

Do you really think that Perrenland (or any LG region for that matter) would turn into WoW, just because it had 5 adventures as opposed to 8 each year? If not, then why would any LFR region?

Well as long as I am original I am a bit worried by the rhetoric of a few of the playtesters, as well as being pretty realisitc in that more modules from more regions just means more modules, it doesn't mean there will be decent plot arcs, or enough regional play to actually get as involved as was possible under LG.

I see 4th ed not intionally becoming WoW like many others do (I think that is a dumb arguement) I just feel an influx of WoW styyle gaming, coupled with reduced regional flavour, and only a few mods (hence more mods need to be self contained, especially if they are played all over the world) that it will be a natural process of WoWification. I will fight against it, and I am 100% you will be in that fight maintaining the integrity of regions Joe, so lets hope it doesn't happen.

Just fully aware of Murphy's law is all/

I'm sorry to nitpick, but Perrenland never had 10 modules a year and if any LFR region only releases 4, I'll be extremely surprised. I'd imagine you would be as well, considering one of your earlier points was to register concern that there would be too many people wanting to contribute relative to the opportunities. ;)

Including interactives, I count at least ten modules with PER on them in my stacks for each of the last two years. Lets not forget one or two PER based Iuz mods a year (see great northern expedition for example, was basically a PER mod)

I see you've picked up this particular ball and run a long way ahead with it...sigh. I just cannot see *any* logic behind believing these extremes. Honestly Metz, do you really think we'll start producing random 'core' mods with no plotlines, while encouraging PCs with no backstory just because there will be 5 regional adventures a year instead of 8?

Joe

NO but it is my biggest fear, and I really hope it doesn't happen. I don't think it will happen deliberately, but I think a combination of players that aren't too interested in the regional flavour (I know thats not the case in brisbane, by my reports everyone is well into the region there, but not so the case in other areas of gaming...)

4 mods makes it hard to develop regional characters is all, you can spot a perrenland PC straight away, because they still have a riding dog somewhere trained to attack undead, they have spare silver and cold iron weapons, a mirror to present to vampires, AREN'T willing to loot a Nerull temple, (he's saved most of us more times than anyone else really) I am just worried that with an influx of new players and the constraints on the wirters, that it will be hard to develop something as impressive as Perrenland.

Here's hoping you're right Joe, I'd be extremely glad if you are, and more than happy to receive an 'I told you so' if you are right...

I am far too pessimistic sometimes, but I used to play Warhammer, and that game changed completely between a few editions, and I just see so many similarities between Games Workshop and Wizards right now, I can't explain it, and It probably sounds stupid, but I see the shift. Hence I fear the worst.

Maybe I just don't want to lose the good dynamic we have here. ITs nice to have sucha well developed region, as well as a new region. They both have great strengths.

As to the lack of plot and cohesion in mods: I can promise you that this is really unlikely to happen, at least in the Dalelands. We are hammering out long term story arcs.
I know that 4 or 5 scenarios does not seem like a whole lot if you have to spread it out between arcs. However, LFR will likely have more opportunities to work with plot ideas.
PLus, we can work with plots and continuity outside regular scenarios. IC 'down time' boards where one can spread rumors and hints, or participation with R&D which may result in WotC products that provide hooks into LFR plots.
I can't say how effective those will be, or if any of that will even happen. But I believe that we have huge possibilities here that we didn't have in LG.

This right here has always been my vision for a effective and rewarding Living Campaign. I hope you guys can pull it off
Sign In to post comments