Regions

109 posts / 0 new
Last post
There is an unofficial posting of the LFR regions on the SE-USA Yahoo group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/lfrseusa/message/84

Pacific US=East Rift
Western US=Moonshae Isles
Southwest US=Tymanther (returned Abeir place)
North Central US=Waterdeep
Northeast US=Cormyr
Southeast US=Aglarond

Canada=Akanul (returned Abeir place…genasi)
Latin America=Baldur's Gate
UK/Ireland/South Africa=Luruar (Silverymoon)
Northern Europe/Russia=Dalelands
Southern Europe/Turkey=Impilitur
Australia/New Zealand/Pacific=Dragon Coast

Running D&D Adventurers League events in Sheffield, UK from August. Contact me for more details.

What regions/places comprise the East Rift?
Is that the great rift by chance or a combination of several places?

I was having a look here and was having trouble narrowing down the East Rift.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Geography
Were the regions given any descriptions?

East Rift is probably the portion of the Eastern Shaar that fell into the Underdark.
Wow... Canada got SHAFTED.
No history. Not traditional fantasy (still). Apparently heavy thematic overlap with the Southwest US.

For a large country with a heavy gamer population that also speaks english (making its adventures easily playable elsewhere) you'd think we'd get a solid cool region like the Gate or Dalelands.

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

Or Canada could be blessed with a region that they can truly make their own. Rewarding the strong roleplaying presence in the Great White North with a blank slate that they can turn into canon. But then again, I am in NEUS, so I went from Keoland to Cormyr. Everyone has their own cross to bear.
I don't mind the "clean slate" or the dominant race being non-human. At least there are plenty of ruins and adventuring opportunities. Playing a descendant of Chondath refugees might be a good back story. I believe I saw a reference to enemy Aboleths harassing the genasi - and I love to hate abominations. But I don't get the impression that Akanul will be strong in urban adventures.

And I'm guessing they'd =like= to allow us Canucks to create genasi, but even once they are published in September (Forgotten Realms Players Guide), it might not be "fair" without RPGA Rewards cards. Hmmm - maybe they can give each region a PC Creation option. Or maybe they'll let us play using Human stats until the Genasi rules are released and then convert. At any rate, the (presumably) limited quantity of background information might make it harder to immerse ourselves in the region right away.

Still, if I may ask our Canadian Regional Admins one question, it would be:
Why do you think this will be a good Home Region and not just somewhere to visit?

I suppose I should put my words into context. I'm a longtime Greyhawk fan but I've gotten into the Realms. However, I am optimistic about the LFR campaign and I'm trying to put write my above thoughts in a positive tone. Cheers.
I believe every Brazilian, as me, and my fellows Latin Americans are very happy with Baldur's Gate!!!
Northern Europe/Russia gets the Dalelands? What a colossal waste.

I'm not to thrilled with my choices, either. If I stay in Florida, I've got Aglarond. But if I move out to California, I've got the East Rift. Either way, talk about completely uninteresting. I got no clue what the East Rift even is. *sigh* Oh well. Least you can play in any region, if you can find a group who wants to play in that region.
What's wrong with Aglarond? Atleast we'll have the highest level wizard in the Realms as are ruler if she's still alive.

Aglarond also has some of the best bad guys in all the Realms as their neighbors. Who just doesn't like a good Thayian BBQ. ;)

Aglarond has some established history but not alot compared to The North and Dalelands/Cormyr areas. That will give us alot to play with.

---> Norg <---
Three cheers for the midwest getting Waterdeep!

We only had to trade our economy to get it, too. ;)

Alan Patrick

Associate Community Manager, D&D Adventurers League

http://dndadventurersleague.org

Neener neener neener. :P
What's wrong with Aglarond? Atleast we'll have the highest level wizard in the Realms as are ruler if she's still alive.

Pretty sure she's no longer around, so we won't have her.

Aglarond also has some of the best bad guys in all the Realms as their neighbors. Who just doesn't like a good Thayian BBQ. ;)

Eh, Red Wizards. I'm already bored. Cormyr or the Dalelands would've been vastly superior, as you got not one major threat but two. The Shades and Zhentil Keep (Or hell, three if you want to count the Sembians as a separate opponent).

Oh well. I may be moving to California, anyway. Just wish I knew what the East Rift was. Doesn't sound very appealing, though. Especially if it's that hole that opened up in the Shaar near the Great Rift.

Neener neener neener. :P

Damn you. Damn you TO HELL! *shakes fist impotently* :P
Damn you. Damn you TO HELL! *shakes fist impotently* :P

Worry not, regions are more for administrative purposes since modules are playable anywhere. We will welcome all players to our mighty region that spans from sea to shining sea, from Strait of Bering to Port of Rotterdam :D

Sampo Haarlaa
LFR Dalelands POC
AAaaaaand Australia gets a blank sheet *yet again*. I sometimes wonder if WotC just uses us to fill in the blanks of their empty regions...

Oh well. Everything we've gotten so far has turned out to be fantastic, so I have no doubts this one will as well, just... yeah. Would have loved Tymanther. Or the Dalelands. Or something.
Three cheers for the midwest getting Waterdeep!

We only had to trade our economy to get it, too. ;)

Three boos for the midwest getting Waterdeep. I'd rather it were a blank slate to work with.

That is an odd remark. One seems to be lacking confidence a bit.
That is an odd remark. One seems to be lacking confidence a bit.

I agree, perhaps the poster could elaborate a bit what he meant.

Sampo Haarlaa
LFR Dalelands POC
Personally, having lived "near" Northern Europe* all my life, and knowing just how much effort the two of you have put into your LG regions, was happy to see you with The Dalelands.

*[To (poorly) quote the old newspaper headline, "fog in the channel, Europe cut off".]
Well, given that Australia was one of the few places to receive a new region in Living Greyhawk, and both of our Living Greyhawk regions were blank sheets, I'm surprised that we got another one... we had more authors than we knew what to do with, heaps of players in most of our capital cities, almost a convention a week if you were looking...

Again, not saying Dragon Coast will be bad. In fact, I'm confident it'll be the best region out there. ;) Just... yeah. Another blank sheet...
Three boos for the midwest getting Waterdeep. I'd rather it were a blank slate to work with.

Trade ya for Canada's region.

Or Canada could be blessed with a region that they can truly make their own. Rewarding the strong roleplaying presence in the Great White North with a blank slate that they can turn into canon. But then again, I am in NEUS, so I went from Keoland to Cormyr. Everyone has their own cross to bear.

Which might be fun except for a few big problems.
1) Information. Everyone will need to buy the FR Campaign Setting and FR Player's Guide for information, especially the authors. To maintain a consistent feel we'll need some solid up-front info before even attempting adventures to avoid quick contradictions. Since RPGA staff isn't provided with advanced copies, how will contacted authors have adventures ready for release?

2) Extra work. Someone's going to have to sit down and write lengthy Player's Guides, like had to be done with Zief. Thankfully that turned out well but it has the potential for one person's vision dominating the region or a product of so-so quality.

3) Pointless. The novel authors and future expansion book writers aren't going to read our modules or care about what we've done, no matter what the PR says. We'll fill in the blank slate only to have it all eventually ignored. There might be a token effort early on, but eventually in 2 or 3 years someone's going to look at that nice big blank slate and set a published adventure or novel trilogy there and they won't be interested in reading through 400 pages of adventure module notes to check details.

4) No easy ideas. When someone says Cormyr you get some quick ideas. Knights, war wizards, medieval clothing, kings. When you say Akanul... nothing. What do they wear? How do they act? I know nothing. I don't even know where it is on the map! I wouldn't even know where to start until August and September when books I wasn't planning on buying just became a must-have to play the campaign. Good-bye $80.

eh... I'm probably just needlessly jaded.

I've just been itching to know where I might be adventuring in the Realms, as that might/is/was the make-or-break for my getting 4e right out of the gate. If I needed the books to play LFR and was interested enough to throw myself into the campaign I'd do it.
Region is something I've been curious about since 6 and a bit months. Since the announcement.

Then it's finally there's the grand announcement on the message board post that's not on the official site anywhere. Although this could be a hoax.
And Canada gets Akanul.
Or as I saw it... Canada gets lhfjkhaflkhskjfhkjhfjshfkh

Akanul. Okay, Canada gets where?!
Not a place I know, but I've been doing Greyhawk and homegames so my Realms is rusty. Google it.
No map. No information. First few links go nowhere.
Canada apparently gets a place best summed up in a "link not available" website.

Yeah....

Then I search through all the Countdown articles and find it.
So Canada is apparently getting a place populated by a race that won't be in the Core rules, whose ground is unnavigable, and main dungeon area drives everyone who enters insane. A place of floating islands with a big-ass jungle in the south populated by "feral elves".

Interesting. Can't say I'm filled with enthusiasm. Not enough to really care once the campaign is released.

Worry not, regions are more for administrative purposes since modules are playable anywhere. We will welcome all players to our mighty region that spans from sea to shining sea, from Strait of Bering to Port of Rotterdam :D

Sampo Haarlaa
LFR Dalelands POC

Yeah, I've been wondering this for awhile.. what exactly is the 'assigning of regions' if you can play anywhere?

Is it simply who is in charge of putting out modules set in certain regions?

So are the admins more or less wearing two hats: 1st hat deal with players in the real world location and 2nd hat deal with modules set in the FR setting location?

Is it more 2 separate roles rather than the LG system where they were tied together?

If that's the case, why should anyone (outside of the admins) care about the assignments? (Unless of course they like/dislike an individual admin's style/vision of play?)

-James
Then I search through all the Countdown articles and find it.
So Canada is apparently getting a place populated by a race that won't be in the Core rules, whose ground is unnavigable, and main dungeon area drives everyone who enters insane. A place of floating islands with a big-ass jungle in the south populated by "feral elves".

Interesting. Can't say I'm filled with enthusiasm. Not enough to really care once the campaign is released.

I don't understand how someone could not be excited by a region like that. It seriously sounds like 100% awesome. A region where the PCs aren't the dominant race (assuming we can't play genasi), where you travel around on floating islands, where you can have expeditions to a southern jungle full of savages? Imagine a region where the majority population of playable races were PCs?

Man, I can't wait. Lots of exploring to do and foreign culture to learn. To each their own, obviously. I just think it's worth trying out each of the regions before writing one of them off.
East Rift? Where is East Rift?

Is this the same as Eastern Shaar?

Anyone have a reference from the FR books?
the East Rift is probably a new region, that was once the Great Rift of the Lands of the Shining South. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shining_South

so Shaar savannah barbarians, Great Rift dwarves, the descendants of Halruaan mages, hindu-themed dungeons of Durpar and Estagund, wild elves of the Chondalwood, the halfling nation of Luiren, the drow of Dambrath, the Underdark and so on.
the East Rift is probably a new region, that was once the Great Rift of the Lands of the Shining South. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shining_South

so Shaar savannah barbarians, Great Rift dwarves, the descendants of Halruaan mages, hindu-themed dungeons of Durpar and Estagund, wild elves of the Chondalwood, the halfling nation of Luiren, the drow of Dambrath, the Underdark and so on.

That's what I'm assuming too. I hope someone from the 4e Con can post to confirm or deny this.

BTW, here's a better public space than wikipedia for FR, its WIKIA:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Shaar
I wonder if there will be subregions for local administration... Maybe Quebec will have an independant state, hopefully. ;)

It's quite high on the fantastic. I wish that I knew more... But I like genasi, it sounds vaguely eastern or something. I'd have prefered the East or Waterdeep, but well, it offers a blanker state, which may be a plus.

I agree. I wish Waterdeep had been a Core region like the city of greyhawk was for living greyhawk.
I´m very very happy and proud with the region selected to Latin America, Baldur´s Gate.

The biggest city in the continent (bigger than Waterdeep?? :D) will be very well represented by the Latin Americans (I´m Brazilian!), and I´m sure that BG translates the cosmopolitan feel of great cities in Brazil (São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro), México (Mexico City), Colombia (Bogotá), Argentina (Buenos Aires), and other great cities in Latin America!

Wheeee!!!!
Just skimming the thread real quick before a class I'm in begins, so I may have missed a couple things, but wanted to comment on a couple things.

The East Rift was mentioned at DDXP as being part of what used to be the Great Rift. During the spellplauge the Underdark collapsed, and now where the Great Rift was, well, I'm assuming there's now an East and West rift.

Regions are assigned, I heard, mostly for administrative reasons. However, the RPGA is still working on a system for granting bonuses of some sort to people for playing in their physically geographic region.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Can others confirm that the list is accurate, by the way? I only have it from one source (the lfrseusa yahoo group) and it'd be nice to have some more voices saying that the list reflects the actual allocations.

Running D&D Adventurers League events in Sheffield, UK from August. Contact me for more details.

OK I can confirm that the list given on the first post in this thread is correct - this matches with both the information I've received and what was announced at the LFR meeting at DDXP.

With regards to some of the other comments in this thread:

You will be able to play modules from any region, so the fact that (for example) Northern Europe and Russia have the Dalelands won't stop anyone else either playing adventures set there or writing adventures for there.

For those of you looking for information on some of the regions check some of the articles on the Wizards site - I know there is one that covers (amongst others) Tymanther (found it - http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080111a).

With regards to the involvemnt (or otherwise) of authors I will say that there was a meeting for all the LFR admins at DDXP so we actually had a chance to chat with each other and put faces to the names. As well as Crhis Tulach being present there was also a certain Ed Greenwood who was excited as the rest of us about LFR and was perfectly willing to be kidnapped by myself and Mike Rizzo (POC for the Pacific region) for dinner and a much longer chat about all things Realms.

Kithran
LFR POC UK / Ireland / South Africa
I got a question about the Regions. Will the regions be made up of just those lands, or will they also encompass surrounding areas? For instance, is Waterdeep just the city of Waterdeep, or does it include some of the Sword Coast? Is Baldur's Gate just the city of Baldur's Gate, or does it include some of the Western Heartlands as well? And so on.
It's a very good question, GreenKnight.

I was wondering the same, because they didn't mention the Lands of Intrigue in any of the regions listed. So, being Baldur´s Gate situated near Amn, Tehyr and Calimshan, will these regions be independent or will they be part of a greater region formed by everything south of Baldur´s Gate?
The biggest city in the continent (bigger than Waterdeep??

I'm trying to think of how Claire put it... Biggest doesn't mean best? :P
John du Bois Living Forgotten Realms Writing Director, Netheril story area Follow me on The Twitter: @JohnduBois Follow my presence on The Intertubes: johncdubois.wordpress.com
I got a question about the Regions. Will the regions be made up of just those lands, or will they also encompass surrounding areas? For instance, is Waterdeep just the city of Waterdeep, or does it include some of the Sword Coast? Is Baldur's Gate just the city of Baldur's Gate, or does it include some of the Western Heartlands as well? And so on.

I've been told (and keep in mind that for LFR, I'm just a nobody who talks to somebodies) that the maps aren't completely set. It has been confirmed, though, that Waterdeep gets Undermountain. :D
John du Bois Living Forgotten Realms Writing Director, Netheril story area Follow me on The Twitter: @JohnduBois Follow my presence on The Intertubes: johncdubois.wordpress.com

I agree, although I am happy we did not get Cormanthor. We just had a big sparsly populated forest region and I didn't want the same thing. I guess I can live with Waterdeep but I would have prefered a less well established region. At least we didn't get the Dale lands.
I agree, although I am happy we did not get Cormanthor. We just had a big sparsly populated forest region and I didn't want the same thing.

According to Tulach, Highfolk being a big forest region is part of the reason that North Central US didn't get a big forest region. When selecting regions, they went out of their way to ensure that locations got a different flavor in LFR than their Living Greyhawk regions had.
I repeat my previous post on these boards -- all of the regions are very cool, including East Rift, Akanûl and Dragon Coast, etc.

The List:
Australia/New Zealand/Pacific Asia – Dragon Coast
Northern Europe – Dalelands
Southern Europe – Impiltur
UK/Ireland/South Africa – Luruar (you know it as Silverymoon)
Canada – Akanûl
Northeast US – Cormyr
North Central US - Waterdeep
Western US – Moonshae Isles
Latin America/Caribbean – Baldur’s Gate
Southeastern US – Aglarond
Pacific US – East Rift

Waterdeep adventures may venture into surrounding areas although we are not quite sure where the outer boundaries are yet. For instance, can we fashion adventures into the High Forest? Not sure just yet. However, we have lots to occupy us in (and below) Waterdeep. Claire and I are looking forward to producing a great line of adventures. :-)

However, players will be able to play every regional (and core) adventure in LFR no matter where the player resides in the real world. Or skip some regions if the player decides he or she does not care for those adventures.

Keith Hoffman
LFR NC-USA Co-Writing Director (Waterdeep)
Keith Hoffman LFR Writing Director for Waterdeep
I'm really excited about having Akanûl as the region for Canada. There's already a sense of the regional flavor that can be found in this article:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080227a&authentic=true

There's really no other place like it in the Realms. The adventures from the Akanûl region should reflect that. My greatest hope in this is to capture that regional flavor and to deliver an awesome play experience at the same time. I can't wait, it's going to be awesome.
The region does pop with atmosphere and is truly unique, although the idea of floating islands, a fallen empire and a massive jungle full of ancient ruins does seem more pulpish and Eberron-esque than Realms-ish.
Really, in a brass tacks way, it's a shoe-horned in nation to give the new race a land of their own, like the dragonborn nation.

"Gee, they'll be in the Core rules come September, so they need their own nation on the map."

But again, I'm being overly cynical because, after three years of sultans and arabs (er, I mean baklunish) I was looking forward to traditional fantasy.