D&D XP Promo cards

145 posts / 0 new
Last post
Xath from ENWorld has uploaded photographs of some promo campaign cards here: http://picasaweb.google.com/gertiebarden/MonsterStats

Three creation cards: Orc Adventurer, Shadar-Kai Sojourner and Gnome Wanderer. They do what you'd expect (e.g. "Benefit: This card allows you to play a shadar-kai. The shadar-kai racial traits can be found in the Monster Manual") There is no campaign branding on the cards, which carry the D&D, RPGA and WotC logos. The fluff-text refers to the FR story (Kingdom of Many Arrows, Netheril, "throughout the Realms") so it seems that at least some people will be playing non-PH classes in LFR!
Trouble accessing the WotC Customer Service system? See this thread

Currently running LFR and D&D Encounters events in Sheffield, UK. Contact me for more details.

In my opinion, this sucks. Everyone should have the same opportunity to play whatever race they want. Granting access to orcs, gnomes and shadar-kai to only some people makes the campaign unfair for those who can't get their hands on a creation card.
****!!!!

I love my gnome in LG and would kill to play a gnome in LFR. But as a Canadian preparing for a honeymoon there is NO chance I can/could get to a con. And you know the card is going to be going for $25 on eBay.
Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: 
What Would Wrecan Say?

5 Minute Workday

My Webcomic
Updated Tue & Thur

****!!!!

I love my gnome in LG and would kill to play a gnome in LFR. But as a Canadian preparing for a honeymoon there is NO chance I can/could get to a con. And you know the card is going to be going for $25 on eBay.

I wouldn't be surprised if gnome pecomes an "open" race once it comes out in a later PHB. The benefit here is being able to play one immediately. If you enjoy playing gnomes that much and want to play one as a primary character, the 25 bucks or effort spent arranging a trade are probably well worth it when compared to the travel, hotels and con fees most of us pay.
I wouldn't be surprised if gnome pecomes an "open" race once it comes out in a later PHB. The benefit here is being able to play one immediately. If you enjoy playing gnomes that much and want to play one as a primary character, the 25 bucks or effort spent arranging a trade are probably well worth it when compared to the travel, hotels and con fees most of us pay.

I hate the entire concept of creation cards. Any race that is allowed at all should be allowed to all. Reward and promo cards should be limited to once per adventure minor benefits. D&D should not become a collectable card game (though I have no objection to a separate CCG beased on D&D).

Tom Bollis
I hate the entire concept of creation cards. Any race that is allowed at all should be allowed to all. Reward and promo cards should be limited to once per adventure minor benefits. D&D should not become a collectable card game (though I have no objection to a separate CCG beased on D&D).

Tom Bollis

I like them as a way to add a few of a race to the campaign and still keep that race rare. I see your point but, I think that anyone who wants to really play a reward card race can do so without unreasonable amounts of effort or expense.
Where's my kobold card?! HUH!?

Time to start the "Kobolds as LFR PCs!" thread...
I like them as a way to add a few of a race to the campaign and still keep that race rare. I see your point but, I think that anyone who wants to really play a reward card race can do so without unreasonable amounts of effort or expense.

A rare race is rare even if every PC at a table is a member. It is rare if there are few NPC members in the world and NPCs are rarely encountered. Proportions of PCs are irrelevant to rarity.

Either keep a race NPC only or open it to all as the player's free choice. All players should have the same character creation options without extra real world expense or luck.

Tom Bollis
Kobolds are extremely common and breed like rats!
I like the idea of the cards for the "rare" races that shouldn't be making up entire tables or as common. But gnomes aren't an uncommon race!
But making a creation card for a race that's going to be open once the second PHB comes out is a waste of a card! They'll be playable without said card in 8 months. Heck, they're technically playable now. Just make the MM version open.
Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: 
What Would Wrecan Say?

5 Minute Workday

My Webcomic
Updated Tue & Thur

A rare race is rare even if every PC at a table is a member. It is rare if there are few NPC members in the world and NPCs are rarely encountered. Proportions of PCs are irrelevant to rarity.

Either keep a race NPC only or open it to all as the player's free choice. All players should have the same character creation options without extra real world expense or luck.

Tom Bollis

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one Tom. If I am constantly playing mods with "rare" races and it is not the same one, the race no longer feels rare to me and others I have discussed this with. PC proportions are often relevant to the players and their sense of the campaign world.
Ack! They're starting this crap again?

I hate creation cards. If it's open to players, it should be open to all players, and that's the long and short of it. The creation cards breed a false sense of entitlement into players, and the weirder race choices break setting and verisimilitude. The kobolds in LG were bad enough, but orcs are even worse.

It's a stupid damn idea, and should be dropped. The only good thing about this is that this set seems to be exclusive to D&D Experience and thus I'm unlikely to ever have to see one myself.
Well I see that I'd better start my campaigning for a kobold creation card a bit earlier this time around.

More seriously though, for all the gnome people, just play a halfling and run it how you would run your gnome and your golden. True story, tried it myself. No rules against it, could even call yourself a gnome if you really wanted too.
Ack! They're starting this crap again?

I hate creation cards. If it's open to players, it should be open to all players, and that's the long and short of it. The creation cards breed a false sense of entitlement into players, and the weirder race choices break setting and verisimilitude. The kobolds in LG were bad enough, but orcs are even worse.

It's a stupid damn idea, and should be dropped. The only good thing about this is that this set seems to be exclusive to D&D Experience and thus I'm unlikely to ever have to see one myself.

What made you think that LFR was going to be safe from creation cards. It is the way of the RPGA they are not going back to Living City for any campaign. If you want to play a character that is out of the norm you will probably have to have a creation card. If you want your character to have a special ability you will need a campaign card. This is the way of the RPGA and it is not going away.
The kobolds in LG were bad enough, but orcs are even worse.

Huh?

Two VERY common races... races which outnumber humans in some areas (especially kobolds), and who have their own societies, cultures, language, religion, established canon in the area dating back to 1st Ed... and suddenly this is breaking verisimilitude?

To me that's like saying, "WHAT?! Hispanics can be Americans now!? BREAKING VERISIMILITUDE, only Caucasian people can be Americans!"

I mean, it's not like they're Warforged or something. These are races which have a long history of existing in the realms, and with 4th Ed's "Shades of Grey" at least some are certain to become adventurers.
Two VERY common races... races which outnumber humans in some areas (especially kobolds), and who have their own societies, cultures, language, religion, established canon in the area dating back to 1st Ed... and suddenly this is breaking verisimilitude?

Established canon, yes, but as villains. It isn't a question of how common they are, but how common they are as a PC race. And in that regard, orcs and kobolds aren't very common at all. They're also cast as opponents of the civilized races, and are almost all universally evil. And as such, aren't readily accepted into civilized lands. The one and only reason orcs are getting a card is because of the Kingdom of Many-Arrows, where some orcs are trying to become more civilized (Thus gaining more acceptance for orcs within civilized lands). If kobolds were trying to build a similar kingdom, and trying to change their evil ways, then they'd get a card, too. But they're not, and are still as evil as ever, so they're still just another monster race.

To me that's like saying, "WHAT?! Hispanics can be Americans now!? BREAKING VERISIMILITUDE, only Caucasian people can be Americans!"

Did you just compare hispanics to orcs, which are a traditionally monstrous and evil race in D&D? Heh, being hispanic, I'm not sure if I should be offended or not. ;)
I realize that I will not convince everyone, but the gnome, orc and Shadar-Kai character creation cards are a good thing for the players (although they may cause the authors some headaches). Those races are NOT in the 4E PHB. RPGA is following 4E rules. Either they are offered via the player rewards/promo cards, or not at all. If those races appear in later PHB II, III, etc., then I would expect the respective card would not be needed at that point, but I don't know those plans (and probably could not say if I did). I suspect you will be able to obtain desired cards without too much trouble.

Keith Hoffman
LFR USA-NC Co-Writing Director (Waterdeep)
Keith Hoffman LFR Writing Director for Waterdeep
I realize that I will not convince everyone, but the gnome, orc and Shadar-Kai character creation cards are a good thing for the players (although they may cause the authors some headaches). Those races are NOT in the 4E PHB. RPGA is following 4E rules. Either they are offered via the player rewards/promo cards, or not at all. If those races appear in later PHB II, III, etc., then I would expect the respective card would not be needed at that point, but I don't know those plans (and probably could not say if I did). I suspect you will be able to obtain desired cards without too much trouble.

Keith Hoffman

I see it much like you. Isn't an opportunity for some better than an opportunity for none? I won't be recieving either of these new cars but have no problem with it. If I really wanted one, I would try to trade from the cards I have for one or buy one outright. If playing a gnome earlier was thnat big of a deal, wouldn't a couple bucks or a little time spent arranging a trade be worth it?

There are lots of things in LG currently that have imbalanced access distibution like items, prestige classes and meta-orgs that require playing a specific mod or in a particular region. Some times you need to do a little planning to open them up to your character. It's not like this would be any different from those accesses.
I realize that I will not convince everyone, but the gnome, orc and Shadar-Kai character creation cards are a good thing for the players (although they may cause the authors some headaches).

I don't know. I think there are enough people who are already hesitant about playing LFR due to 4th edition that the campaign should be as inclusive as possible.

Ed

Keith Hoffman

Put them in the LFRCS and their would be no need for a creation card in LFR. Creation cards are a BAD idea for a Living campaign.

Tom Bollis
Established canon, yes, but as villains. It isn't a question of how common they are, but how common they are as a PC race. And in that regard, orcs and kobolds aren't very common at all. They're also cast as opponents of the civilized races, and are almost all universally evil. And as such, aren't readily accepted into civilized lands. The one and only reason orcs are getting a card is because of the Kingdom of Many-Arrows, where some orcs are trying to become more civilized (Thus gaining more acceptance for orcs within civilized lands). If kobolds were trying to build a similar kingdom, and trying to change their evil ways, then they'd get a card, too. But they're not, and are still as evil as ever, so they're still just another monster race.

Interesting point- while I'm happy to conceed the point about orcs (although half-orcs have been in the PHB for a while now and most people I've played with them simply consider them full orcs, rarely discussing their 'half' nature) I bought Races of the Dragon and devoured it. If any race that is currently "evil" deserves to be Lawful Neutral, it's Kobolds. They're only really reacting to all the stuff that's been heaped on them, IMHO. Of course, you have your own opinion, which is fine. :D

Did you just compare hispanics to orcs, which are a traditionally monstrous and evil race in D&D? Heh, being hispanic, I'm not sure if I should be offended or not. ;)

That certainly wasn't my intention. ;) I simply grabbed a scenario out of the air. I'm Australian by the way, heh.
Yeah, a predominantly evil race with a strong reputation for being evil really doesn't work in an environment like LFR where the adventure modules assume a standard group and don't compensate for some oddball in the group and the group makeup itself is changeable and the orc would have to convince a group after group that he's really a nice guy once you get to know him.

Not only would the orc never get into the bar to meet the mysterious stranger because the town guard would kill him - the party elf and dwarf would be drawing lots on who gets to stab him first.

Kobolds I have nothing but pure and undiluted hatred for, since every attempt to give a kobold a personality that I've seen has resulted in a bad joke.

Drow in FR are slightly more palatable because of Eilistraee, but I'd prefer if I didn't need to see any of those, either. They attract the 14-year-old player demographic and end up being played as Drizzt clones or lesbian stripper ninjas.

Drow PCs make me lose my faith in humanity.
Drow in FR are slightly more palatable because of Eilistraee, but I'd prefer if I didn't need to see any of those, either. They attract the 14-year-old player demographic and end up being played as Drizzt clones or lesbian stripper ninjas.

Drow PCs make me lose my faith in humanity.

Boy oh boy, how many times have I seen this happen. On the other hand, isn't a 14 year old demographic exactly the demographic we want to be getting into the game, so that he can get his (or her) friends to play and the future of the game is assured? I'm not saying I like the players. Honestly they make me want to shove their heads through a wall. I'm just considering the virtues (not readily apparent) of their involvement, and whether or not allowing for options that would attract them, as annoying as they are, would be long-term beneficial to the campaign and the game at large.
Boy oh boy, how many times have I seen this happen. On the other hand, isn't a 14 year old demographic exactly the demographic we want to be getting into the game, so that he can get his (or her) friends to play and the future of the game is assured? I'm not saying I like the players. Honestly they make me want to shove their heads through a wall. I'm just considering the virtues (not readily apparent) of their involvement, and whether or not allowing for options that would attract them, as annoying as they are, would be long-term beneficial to the campaign and the game at large.

Yes, well, the 14-year-olds are free to play whatever the hell they want, really. I don't care, because I'm not playing with them. If possible, I will not even be playing in the same room. The squealing is so high-pitched it gives me a headache.

Then, it's starting to look more and more like 4E is the game for the 14-year-olds and us twenty-somethings are relics that should move over.
Yeah, a predominantly evil race with a strong reputation for being evil really doesn't work in an environment like LFR where the adventure modules assume a standard group and don't compensate for some oddball in the group and the group makeup itself is changeable and the orc would have to convince a group after group that he's really a nice guy once you get to know him.

Not only would the orc never get into the bar to meet the mysterious stranger because the town guard would kill him - the party elf and dwarf would be drawing lots on who gets to stab him first.

I am actually insulted by this. Allow me to retort!

Half-orcs, of course, NEVER have this problem. The dwarf and the elf, of course, just draw lots on who's going to walk up and stab the combat-reflexes, spiked chain wielding half-orc barbarian/fighter because that's *totally* within their power. He'll just keel right over and die. Next game you're at, try it and see what happens.

Just like the two of them are going to try and stab the winged, scaled, gold-dragonwrought kobold, who'll go "Ouch, that dinted my false life slightly", defensively cast greater invisibility, fly up into the air and then open up on them both with cheaply-empowered-and-maximized fire spells that burn like a thousand suns.

I'd like to see that actually.

Strangely enough, teiflings don't have this problem either. A race with GREAT BIG DEMONIC HORNS that come out of their foreheads, that are frequently unholy demon-associating warlocks and whose very taint warps and twists their forms beyond all recognition. A race that has pure, elemental evil so heavily tainted into their bloodline that its physical presence is *visible and obvious*. But teiflings are not going to be excluded from any LFR module on the grounds that the town guard murdered them before they got inside. Or that their companions slaughtered them and divided up their gear. And no elves are going to be excluded from playing the module set in the xenophobic dwarven enclave because the king's last elven plaything died of blood loss an hour or so ago and he needs another one.

So why kobolds? Why should kobolds have to suffer?

All three races so far have a strong history and reputation for doing evil. But, surprisingly, both do not have to explain themselves to every group they meet. Nor do we have to explain why the elves are saving the human kingdom that hates and oppresses their kind *yet again*, nor do we have to explain why the nobles-in-some-kinda-trouble-but-not-even-that-serious hire low class, mud dwelling adventuring scum. Or why the dwarven kingdom has all these elves with badges of honour. Or why... etc etc etc. I could go on all day. Bottom line: Does your character try to murder every half-orc he meets in the name of "realism"? Or even perform a citizens arrest and have them magically interrogated? Or even question them at all? Why single kobolds out?

So why don't kobolds just "get stabbed"?

Becaues adventurers are a *cut above the rest*. They are better than people; superhuman even. They have spells, powers, martial abilities that outshine anything most people have ever seen or dreamed about. The day that an angry mob forms because a half-orc strode into own is the day a lot of angry townsfolk die. These are the kinds of people that, when sufficiently strong, can fall from a height of ten thousand feet and survive every time, just shrugging it off saying, "Well that hurt. Not below half yet. Cure crit, please." They are like gods amongst insects and this is just so obviously visible to anyone who sees them. It manifests itself like some kind of halo- a glowing beacon of power and hope in a land swathed in eternal nightfall. Even if they're two feet tall and have wings. It's that burning stare in his eyes- the fact that by level fifteen or so he's killed not hundreds, but THOUSANDS of living creatures. Looked straight into their eyes and burned them to cinders with arcane power so immense it threatens to bubble out of his body like mentos dropped into diet coke. The creature is a killing MACHINE. His mind is full of nothing but magical ways to dispense death and destruction on a massive scale

... got a bit too poetic there. But it had to be said.

Kobolds I have nothing but pure and undiluted hatred for, since every attempt to give a kobold a personality that I've seen has resulted in a bad joke.

And every half-orc I've seen only took that race for the strength. And dwarves are rare because they're ugly. And bards suck. And there were more half-orc PCs registered on the Perrenland database than there were half-orcs in the whole bloody nation according to our population statistics. And every single grey elf is a wizard.

What about the grey elf wizard who does nothing but try to eat everything he sees? What about the characters "Boris Yeltson, Margaret Thatcher, Jennifer Love-Hewart"? What about the horndog cleric of Ehlonna who has a whip, wears full bondage gear and will sleep with ANYONE and ANYTHING? What about other silly characters that aren't kobolds? Do you have "nothing but pure and undiluted hatred" for those characters? So why kobolds?

Can I ask- what DO you like? Serious question now. What race meets your approval? What class? Is there anything you actually like? Or is it just other people having fun that you don't like?

*sigh* Here we go again.

Your centaur was lifted straight from Harry Potter.
Your dwarf is just a carbon-copy of Bruenor.
Your elf character is a DIRECT ripoff of Legolas.
Your half-elf character is just *way too close* to Tanis Half-Elven.
Your half-orc is just a green Tanis half-elven.
Your halfling? Total Bilbo rip.
Your human character is a DIRECT Conan the Barbarian ripoff.
Your kobold is a Deekin clone. (but I doubt you have one)
Your gnome is plain-and-simple ripped straight for World of Warcraft.

God, you unoriginal 14-year-old lesbian-stripper-ninja copyright-infringing hack. Go make an original character.

Edit: As a side note, I'm a twenty-something but I was playing D&D back when I was fourteen. Second Ed, of course. Some of the younger players we have these days out-roleplay ANYONE of ANY age.

Edit2: Woah! I think I had my flamethrower turned up too high. Still...
Gentlemen...

Behave yourselves.
Now that is good moderation.

Half-orcs, of course, NEVER have this problem. The dwarf and the elf, of course, just draw lots on who's going to walk up and stab the combat-reflexes, spiked chain wielding half-orc barbarian/fighter because that's *totally* within their power. He'll just keel right over and die. Next game you're at, try it and see what happens.

Half-orcs are usually more or less socialised. They're not liked, they're often ostracised, but rarely outright attacked.

Just like the two of them are going to try and stab the winged, scaled, gold-dragonwrought kobold, who'll go "Ouch, that dinted my false life slightly", defensively cast greater invisibility, fly up into the air and then open up on them both with cheaply-empowered-and-maximized fire spells that burn like a thousand suns.

I'd like to see that actually.

This, like the previous example, strangely assumes the character ever got past first level.

Strangely enough, teiflings don't have this problem either.

Which irks me greatly. Believe me, they should. Probably dragonborn, too.

All three races so far have a strong history and reputation for doing evil. But, surprisingly, both do not have to explain themselves to every group they meet. Nor do we have to explain why the elves are saving the human kingdom that hates and oppresses their kind *yet again*, nor do we have to explain why the nobles-in-some-kinda-trouble-but-not-even-that-serious hire low class, mud dwelling adventuring scum. Or why the dwarven kingdom has all these elves with badges of honour. Or why... etc etc etc. I could go on all day. Bottom line: Does your character try to murder every half-orc he meets in the name of "realism"? Or even perform a citizens arrest and have them magically interrogated? Or even question them at all? Why single kobolds out?

Kobolds, as a race, worship an evil deity. Half-orcs, as a race, are merely ugly, stupid and hard-hitting.

My characters, generally, don't like half-orcs, but appreciate the meatshield. Kobolds I've had to suffer because it would break the the table if I walked away and they're otherwise among the better class of LG adventures.

Becaues adventurers are a *cut above the rest*. They are better than people; superhuman even. They have spells, powers, martial abilities that outshine anything most people have ever seen or dreamed about. The day that an angry mob forms because a half-orc strode into own is the day a lot of angry townsfolk die.

As does the half-orc. Player characters are not invulnerable, nor are they special in the eyes of the NPCs, especially the law. The town guards don't let orcs enter, they shoot them on sight. Half-orcs aren't liked, but they're let in. Hell, in Naerie we oppress even human subraces.

These are the kinds of people that, when sufficiently strong, can fall from a height of ten thousand feet and survive every time, just shrugging it off saying, "Well that hurt. Not below half yet. Cure crit, please."

That's actually a side effect of the falling rules sucking.

They are like gods amongst insects and this is just so obviously visible to anyone who sees them. It manifests itself like some kind of halo- a glowing beacon of power and hope in a land swathed in eternal nightfall. Even if they're two feet tall and have wings. It's that burning stare in his eyes- the fact that by level fifteen or so he's killed not hundreds, but THOUSANDS of living creatures. Looked straight into their eyes and burned them to cinders with arcane power so immense it threatens to bubble out of his body like mentos dropped into diet coke. The creature is a killing MACHINE. His mind is full of nothing but magical ways to dispense death and destruction on a massive scale

Are you sure you're still playing D&D? This sounds more like Exalted, and reflects neither my experiences with Living Greyhawk nor any of the editions of D&D that I'm familiar with. Characters don't have class and level floating atop their heads, and especially not their alignment.

What about the grey elf wizard who does nothing but try to eat everything he sees? What about the characters "Boris Yeltson, Margaret Thatcher, Jennifer Love-Hewart"? What about the horndog cleric of Ehlonna who has a whip, wears full bondage gear and will sleep with ANYONE and ANYTHING? What about other silly characters that aren't kobolds? Do you have "nothing but pure and undiluted hatred" for those characters? So why kobolds?

Yes, actually. I have a great capacity for hatred. Overt silliness disrupts the game, decreases the enjoyment of more serious players, and generally fails to be actually funny.

Can I ask- what DO you like? Serious question now. What race meets your approval? What class? Is there anything you actually like? Or is it just other people having fun that you don't like?

I like to see verisimilitude, a semblance of realism in the setting. The setting and NPCs are very important in a Living campaign, where you don't have as much continuity inside the party as you have in a home game.

In a world plagued by hordes of marauding humanoids, where drow are used as a bedtime tale to scare the children and Bob from down the street was killed by some monster in the woods last winter, it's profoundly unrealistic to expect that the town guards who likely have defended their home against orcs would then allow the very same critters to enter it just because they claim to be adventurers, a class of people with a penchant for causing mayhem.

You can see it in the Drizzt novels and the Starlight and Shadows trilogy. Evil humanoids aren't liked, aren't allowed to enter towns (even Silverymoon turned Drizzt away) and get angry mobs and bounty hunters chasing them. This is fine for a home campaign, but you can't do it in a goal-oriented game like a Living campaign, where they'd merely pose a liability for the group, should have difficulties participating in urban adventuring at all, and would have to convince each new adventurer he meets that he's really okay.

Naturally, we'll get a decree for political correctness from the top and everyone will like those orcs and drow and kobolds. Goodbye, verisimilitude, welcome lesbian stripper ninjas.
Now that is good moderation.

Better if he would have included the gentlewomen ;)
*runs*

Anyway, I think kobolds are currenbtly not an interstign choice, simply because they won't have political clout. Orcs have Many Arrows, Shadar-Kai have Netheril, and Drow have... well, lot's of dark hiding places.
Most of these races actually have baggage that makes them part of the realms in a way other than 'creature that wanders dungeons'.
Ok, not sure about the thieflings, myself, but I never really understood why they made it into the PHB anyhow...

What about the grey elf wizard who does nothing but try to eat everything he sees?

Hey!!! thats my elf!!

Anvil "Baconbane" Lorariel has far more depth to his personality than just trying to eat everthing he sees. As he has matured he has become less enamoured of food. He has gotten in touch with his Elvan heritage and his ambition to be named archmage of Highfolk comes into play alot these days.

He may have been annoying but people remember him.
Personally, I think that I am rather accepting of a wide range of characters. I can even appreciate the Half-Orc that starts playing with himself during the important diplomatic talks. I can explain away orcs, especially with the rise of Many-Arrows. Shoot, I even think the rise of the orcs in FR is a good thing. All this being considered, I hate, HATE the idea that I will be more or less "forced" to play with tiefling characters if I do organized play. I hate the idea of a race that is the result of trafficking with devils, and is suggested to be an "evil-curious" warlock, are considered heroes in this day and age.
1) The Orcish kingdom of Obould is a tolerated ally in what was the Silver Marches 100 years after the spellplague according to the prelude to the most recent Salvatore book. Pre-spellplague, the orcish mercenaries living in the Unapproachable East in Thesk were accepted by the city states of that area.

2) Shadar-Kai are strange looking fey, but look enough like elves to probably pass muster for most folk.

3) Gnomes...well, they have overly large hands, smell of cabbages and should be killed on sight.

None of the above races are in the PHB, but the developers have said that half a dozen or so races in the Monster Manual were given rules to allow them to be played as PCs.
Check out my free online comic! Familiar Ground Fantasy Humor, Familiar Point of View
My only issue with the promo cards comes from the inevitable power creep that comes from them.

Authors start to write modules assuming people have the cards, or the tasty candy from the cards (these "quest" modules for example) and anyone who only play sporadically and/or didn't get into the current pwnz card fest is utterly obliterated by the upgraded combats.

y'saw the same thing in LG all the time with certian regions.
3) Gnomes...well, they have overly large hands, smell of cabbages and should be killed on sight.

Hey!! When will the hatred stop?

I love playing gnomes. I have always had at least one gnome character in LG and Xendrick. I was really sad when I found out I might not be able to play one in LFR. I will do whatever I have to to get a creation card so that I can play a gnome.

With that said let me say I have mixed feelings about convention exclusive awards. I realize that they help attract people to the big cons but they are a bit unfair to people who can't make it to these big cons all the time.

Even if you do get to the con there is a chance you will not be able to get into the games that grant these rewards. I remember when I couldn't get into the core special that gave you the shadow template. That really made me mad. I went to Gencon and still couldn't get the special benefit because they were sold out of tables. Last year at Gencon I saw at least 1-2 tables of people turned away from the Undermountain mustering area each time I mustered. Sure they could play them as home games but they don't get the special benefit and that sucks when you shell out 500-700$ to go to a con and can't even get the benefits exclusive to the con.

Overall I don't like Con exclusive benefits but I understand why RPGA does them.
My only issue with the promo cards comes from the inevitable power creep that comes from them.

Authors start to write modules assuming people have the cards, or the tasty candy from the cards (these "quest" modules for example) and anyone who only play sporadically and/or didn't get into the current pwnz card fest is utterly obliterated by the upgraded combats.

y'saw the same thing in LG all the time with certian regions.

For this to be true, the races unlocked by the promotional cards would actually have to be better than the standard PHB races. We don't know that yet.

In fact, since the Monster Manual playable races won't have the same race-specific feat choices available as the PHB races, they may well be structurally less powerful due to a lack of options...but we don't know that either.
For this to be true, the races unlocked by the promotional cards would actually have to be better than the standard PHB races. We don't know that yet.

In fact, since the Monster Manual playable races won't have the same race-specific feat choices available as the PHB races, they may well be structurally less powerful due to a lack of options...but we don't know that either.

The creation cards i'm not so much as worried about, except for poor canada, who's region is full of things you need a card to be a native of, but that cards give you various powers that normal characters wouldn't have.

feign surprise, let's try that again, not this time being the biggest offenders, but if the cards offer any significant advantage then authoros will have to either a) make combats harder (same with high power regions in LG) so that they are a challenge to characters with cards or b) run the risk that those who play the most will simply obliterate the encounters.

now, as an author i'll take b any day, but i've been in enough modules where a was rigioursly chosen at all costs that it still is a concern for me.
I posted this on the marketplace page and have had no takers. I am hoping that someone who went to D&D XP has extra Orc Adventurer card and wants to do a deal.
The creation cards i'm not so much as worried about, except for poor canada, who's region is full of things you need a card to be a native of,...

I don't believe any LFR admin has posted such; is this your assumption? Or were you thinking of the orcs and gnomes?

Keith Hoffman
Keith Hoffman LFR Writing Director for Waterdeep
I posted this on the marketplace page and have had no takers. I am hoping that someone who went to D&D XP has extra Orc Adventurer card and wants to do a deal.

My guess is that this might be a bit early for folks to be looking to trade/sell them since we don't know what the campaign rules will look like yet. Also, a search under "RPGA" on ebay pretty reliably turns up most of the cards out there for sale.
Yeah, there is an auction for all 3 promo cards at the moment on ebay. The current bidding with 6 days remaining is $75+

As I was at the DDXP, I know how much time it took playing the delves to get these. But sheesh, in excess of $25 per card is almost crazy for me.
As I was at the DDXP, I know how much time it took playing the delves to get these. But sheesh, in excess of $25 per card is almost crazy for me.

Compare that to the $500 and the time to go to DDXP and $25 is a bargin.