LFR Preview Adventures for Order

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Looks like the preview adventures are posted on the RPGA boards. Neat.

https://events.wizards.com/RPGAWeb/external/econplay.asp?ScenarioCd=PREV11LFR
PREV-1 Scalegloom Hall
The vicious kobolds are at it again, raiding caravans, plundering outlying farms, and raising havoc across the land. All signs point to the influence of a charismatic leader, a malevolent fiend that has stepped up the kobolds' aggression and turned them into a menace. Your task is simple: enter the trap-filled tunnels of Scalegloom Hall, find their leader, and defeat him. 1st-level characters are provided. A D&D 4th Edition and Living Forgotten Realms preview adventure.

https://events.wizards.com/RPGAWeb/external/econplay.asp?ScenarioCd=PREV21LFR
PREV-2 Escape from Sembia
You weren’t looking for trouble in civilized lands… just some good adventuring leads. Before you knew what was really happening, you wound up in the middle of an information exchange, and now you have to escape from the lands of Sembia to preserve your very lives! Off the beaten path to shake any pursuers, you take to the wilds in the hope that you’ll reach a safe haven before you’re captured. 1st-level characters are provided. A D&D 4th Edition and Living Forgotten Realms preview adventure.

Both appear to be available to all as of June 6 and retire Dec 31 of this year.
Ok guys I wanted to relay a problem and ask a question about Prev-1. I ordered and downloaded it but the full adventure is not there just the 1st 2 pages. Who do I contact to get the remainder of the module? We are slated to run it on the 21st.
The also lopped off the appendix from both of them (which isn't as useful now that the books are out but it was a nice outline to teach from.)
The versions which ran at D&D XP appear to have been replaced with new ones. Escape from Sembia is now prettier with some illustrations, and Scalegloom Hall refers the GM to the adventure in the DMG. This does mean that players playing this version will have an easier final fight. If you want to give them the full D&D XP experience, replace the end fight with
Show
a young black dragon

There is (just about) enough to play it, though, so long as you have the DMG. Incidentally I can understand why they've removed the appendix. Although it was good, it's not a perfect overview of the rules, and putting out slightly incorrect information is a bad thing - though they keep on doing it regarding the Fighter's challenge ability, failing to identify that you can only take OAs against marked enemies that shift.

Running D&D Adventurers League events in Sheffield, UK from August. Contact me for more details.

Yes, but what was really nice was the appendix... which was a really nice intro to the game. Even if it were in outline form and pointed to the right parts of the books it would be useful. It should have been included with Into the Shadowhaunt in my opinion.
That's true.

The same text (or practically the same, I've not checked line-by-line) is in the character/player booklet in Keep on the Shadowfell, should you ever buy that.

A more extensive quick-start/preview of the rules is in the DM's (adventure) booklet in KotS. Having said that, I think the DMG has a section on teaching people to play which probably contains much of the same material, or references to the key things to discuss.

Running D&D Adventurers League events in Sheffield, UK from August. Contact me for more details.

Can you play these and use the characters in upcoming LFR adventures?
Can you play these and use the characters in upcoming LFR adventures?

I believe that's been answered elsewhere, and the answer is "no", but I could be mistaken.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
So the adventures in the DMG can be rated at a RPGA game at the Prev-1 adventure "Scalegroom Hall"?
So the adventures in the DMG can be rated at a RPGA game at the Prev-1 adventure "Scalegroom Hall"?

I would like this confirmed as well. This is important information to have before setting up these scenarios at my local store.

Also, the description for Prev-1 linked to above says "1st-level characters are provided." I don't have my DMG handy, but isn't the one in the back of it for a 3rd level party?
Come check out and add to the LFR Wiki, part of the Forgotten Realms Wiki.
Also, the description for Prev-1 linked to above says "1st-level characters are provided." I don't have my DMG handy, but isn't the one in the back of it for a 3rd level party?

No, "Kobold Hall" (a strangely unimaginative yet surprisingly accurate name) is for 1st-level characters.
Yeah, I saw that. Thanks.

Was the DDXP Scalegloom Hall different? Significantly different?
Same adventure, except at DDXP, the monster in the final encounter was a bit tougher.

Keith
Keith Hoffman LFR Writing Director for Waterdeep
Thanks!