Shoes, A Partial Victory

9 posts / 0 new
Last post

Over the past few weeks I've been noticing that I need a new pair of shoes for work; I work in fast-food, so I need non-slip shoes for work.  I usually go to Payless for shoes, and my father usually comes along so we can take advantage of whatever "buy-one. . ." discount they have going on at the time.  Naturally, I was prepared to do this yet again, and then something happened: a customer at work called me "sir."

Don't get me wrong, I understand why she did it.  I haven't begun a transition or come out to my family and coworkers yet, so, to any average onlooker I appear to be a regular (though significantly overweight) guy.  I didn't have any hard feelings toward that customer, I still don't, but it did make me more aware that I was chafing in my own skin.  Naturally, I was feeling rather exasperated by the time I left work.

As I sat in the exit lane of the driveway where I work, waiting for traffic to clear long enough for me to pull out against traffic and pick up my father for our usual trudge to Payless, I suddenly clicked the turn signal in the other direction.  I drove down to a local Wal Mart that I don't normally use (my father is a teamster, and I was raised to be pro-union) because I knew that they kept all the work shoes, both the men's and the women's, in one area.

I took a few minutes to look at the shoes and managed to find a women's, non-slip shoe that was kind of cute but that I could pass off as being men's or unisex (as long as no one looked at the label).  I waited excitedly for the employee in the shoe area to leave and grabbed the largest pair I could find to try on.  As might be expected, since I normally wear a men's 13, it didn't fit.  But, despite the failure to find the right size, to have another little something to reaffirm my feminity to myself on an everytday basis (which would have been fabulous.  The feeling, not the shoes.  They were kinda cute but not THAT cute), I actually felt good.  And that hasn't happened in a long time.

Now I just need to find a pair that fits.  

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

#BoobsNotBlood

I also wear a men's 13, which as you imagine is hard to find women's shoes for. I've had some luck online, but I have to admit I've never hunted for work shoes. My job doesn't require non-slip footwear.

My current everyday shoes are Pumas. The ones I wear at work are pink; the ones I wear outside work are purple. I adore them utterly.

My Setting - A New Mystara

LGBT Gamers Group

I think people in general are amazing. No, I think people are amazing. The very presence of people is a wonder among wonders. Why not treat each other as such?

I've never been the one with small feet before. This will take some adjusting!

truth/humor
Ed_Warlord, on what it takes to make a thread work: I think for it to be really constructive, everyone would have to be honest with each other, and with themselves.

iserith: The game doesn't profess to be "just like our world." What it is just like is the world of Dungeons & Dragons. Any semblance to reality is purely coincidental.

Areleth: How does this help the problems we have with Fighters? Do you think that every time I thought I was playing D&D what I was actually doing was slamming my head in a car door and that if you just explain how to play without doing that then I'll finally enjoy the game?

TD: That's why they put me on the front of every book. This is the dungeon, and I am the dragon. A word of warning though: I'm totally not a level appropriate encounter.

That's awesome mecha!  I am a shoe addict.  If I weren't broke, I'd have two dozen pairs by now.  As it is, I have four pairs.  I wear a size 9 1/2 wide in men's so, thankfully, I don't have too much trouble finding women's shoes that fit.  My heels are my pick-me-up shoes, so to speak.  When I need a confidence boost or I'm doing an interview (even if its a phone interview), I'll put those on. 

http://community.wizards.com/group/lgbt-gamers - LGBT Gamers, A safe space for people like us.

TiaNadiezja wrote:

I also wear a men's 13, which as you imagine is hard to find women's shoes for. I've had some luck online, but I have to admit I've never hunted for work shoes. My job doesn't require non-slip footwear.

My current everyday shoes are Pumas. The ones I wear at work are pink; the ones I wear outside work are purple. I adore them utterly.

Is there any particular online site you can recommend for larger-sized shoes in general?

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

#BoobsNotBlood

Finally got the name of the place! It's Zappos.

My Setting - A New Mystara

LGBT Gamers Group

I think people in general are amazing. No, I think people are amazing. The very presence of people is a wonder among wonders. Why not treat each other as such?

I've heard of them.  Thanks for the info.  Even if they don't have a ladies' work shoe in my size, maybe I can find a ladies' shoe that I can pass off at home and at school as either mens' or unisex.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

#BoobsNotBlood

So, I had another interesting partial victory.

I can't really accumulate any makeup to really attempt to learn its application (though I have found some nice tutorial videos) because I live with my father.  But, I did pick up some skin care products (a cleansing facial scrub, and a moisturizer with spf 15).  When my father found them I told him I decided to try them to combat breakouts from working in fast food (my station is right next to the fryer, and there is no shortage of airborne grease).  Not only did he buy the excuse, he also went out and bought the same stuff for himself; he also has breakout issues.

Another upside, he doesn't get suspicious when we go grocery shopping together and I duck down the health and beauty aisle to browse.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

#BoobsNotBlood

A couple of the ladies that I work with had been calling me "sir."  A few weeks ago I asked them not to do that anymore.  Naturally, they were curious as to why.  However, as I'm not ready to have that discussion with my coworkers yet, I simply told them that it makes me uncomfortable.  I'm sure they may still be curious, but I have to hand it to them, just a couple weeks later and they've already broken the habit.

Now if only I could get the customers to knock it off.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

#BoobsNotBlood

Sign In to post comments