Homebrew Race -Finnings

3 posts / 0 new
Last post

Could someone look over my homebrew race? I made this for a nautical campaign and I want to see how it looks since I've never made a race before. I have another race called Blackgills that are to Finnings what drow are to elves, except more focused on cruelty and less on extravagance.

Finning

Average Height: 5´ 4˝–6´ 0˝ 

Average Weight: 130–170 lb. 

Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma

Size: Medium 

Speed: 7, swim 6

Vision: Low-light 

Languages: Common, Elven 

Skill Bonuses: +2 Athletics, +2 Diplomacy 

Aquatic: A finning can breathe normally in water and ignores rough water while swimming. Finnings never need to make Athletics checks to swim.

Finning Weapon Proficiency: You gain proficiency with tridents.

Fey Origin: Your ancestors were native to the Feywild, so you are considered a fey creature for the purpose of effects that relate to creature origin. 

School Awareness: You grant non-finning allies within 5 squares of you a +1 racial bonus to Perception checks.

Siren Song: You can use Siren Song once per encounter. 

Siren Song

Would you like to hear the song of my people?

Encounter

Minor Action    Range 15

Target: One creature

Effect: You slide the target squares equal to your highest ability modifier.

Physical Qualities

Finnings have the same range of height and weight as humans and elves.. They are almost always slender and athletic, both from their biology and primal lifestyle. Also like land elves, they have long, pointed ears. Instead of normal skin, finnings have smooth scales covering their bodies that typically come in shades of blue and green, although finnings have been observed with scales of other colors. Most have long, flowing hair that has the same color as their scales. Also, their eyes are slightly larger than most other humanoids'. On their forearms and calves are fins and they have gills on their ribs.

Playing a Finning 

Finnings are slightly xenophobic but mischievious tribal folk of the sea. Most finnings stick with their tribes and are fiercely loyal to them, but they can be drawn to the surface by things such as curiousity or boredom. Compared to finnings, normal elves seem calm. Finnings are extremely impulsive, being moved to action by the slightest whim. They tend to speeak their mind even when they shouldn't, but something about them makes it difficult to stay angry at them.

The tribe isn't the only group finnings hold loyalty to. Close friends and companions are referred to as soul scales, a term coming from the finning belief that all life is connected together like their scales. Soul scales are effectively a second tribe to a finning, any decent finning will fight tooth and scale in defense of their tribe or soul scales.

Finnig wepaon prof needs to be made a feat, you could porbably add +1 or even +2 squares to te movement of the power, why doesn't the school awareness work with finnig allies, and you do have the option of adding a flex stat.

I like it, but it does need to be in the '+2 to one, and +2 to another, or another' format. I'd suggest +2 to DEX, and +2 to CHA or CON.

Maybe a speed 6, swim 6 might be better too...Why are they faster on land, if they are an aquatic/amphibious race?

Why +2 to diplomacy if you state they tend to be xenophobic?

Yeah, and they should give their own kind a bonus to PER checks too.

I'd beef up 'Siren Song' a bit too. Sliding is good. Maybe it also imposes a condition? Doing damage would go too far, IMO...But...stunned or dazed might work.

I'd add a bonus to any skill check relating to sea navigation. (Unless they're part of a watery world, where pretty much everyone sentient and civilized uses boats all the time.)

I don't think proficiency with tridents needs to be a feat, however. It's a weak enough thing, and eladrin get proficiency with long swords, elfs get prof. with long and short bows, so...there's 4e precidence for a race having one, or even two racial bonuses like that.

I don't want to be an edition warrior. I think there was something good and something bad in all the editions I played. I do, however, believe that the game has gotten better over the years (and decades). I hope this holds true into the future.

Peace.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

Sign In to post comments