Help with my homebrew!

7 posts / 0 new
Last post

Sooo I've decided to make my first homebrew and for some reason I decided to pick the most out there setting I could think of: D&D Alt History.

I'd really love some feed back from experienced homebrewers and DMs about the concept...does it work? Will it be stupid? advice on how to run it, that sort of thing. 

Gunpowder and Patriots: A D&D Homebrew for 4th Edition

The year is 1789, the ink is barely dry on the eight month old Constitution and the infant Federal government is already being stretched to it’s limits. 

Slave owners and anti-slavery advocates bicker and fight in the halls of government, revolutionary purists insist on keeping the Federal government small and ineffective, America’s monetary policy is disastrous, and violent encounters between white settlers and the Western Indian Confederacy are becoming more frequent. 

The only tools the newly elected President Washington has to fight these threats are a hastily throw together regular army and the United States Marshal Service, an untested Federal law enforcement agency that’s barely a month old.

And those are just the problems in human society…

In an alternate timeline where real life historical figures and events exist in a world of Dungeons and Dragons, 18th century America has become a fantasy battle ground where the forces of Good, Evil, and Neutral collide.

Campaign One:

Wanted, Dead or Alive

October, 3rd, 1789

Tensions throughout the Northwest Territory are high.

Despite their agreement at the Treaty of Paris, the British continue to maintain forts throughout the lands Northwest of the Ohio River. This British Remnant has thrown their support behind the Western Confederacy, a loose association of Native American tribes that seek to maintain their ancestral control of the area.

Peace talks between the newly formed American Government and Native American leaders are becoming increasingly futile. Chief Little Turtle of the Miami and War Chief Blue Jacket of the Shawnee are gathering their forces to act in defense of the Ohio Country. War seems inevitable.

And just when things couldn't possibly get worse...the goblins arrived.

A powerful goblin king named Snickertooth is taking advantage of the chaos and conducting daring raids on European and Native settlements. He has gathered an army of thousands of goblins, bugbears and other nasty creatures and has started running wild through the western countryside, burning every human settlement he can find.

Snickertooth’s goal is clear: drive mankind from the American continent and create a Goblin Nation that stretches from sea to shining sea.

Under the direct orders of President Washington, the 1st Regiment of the American Army prepares to march. into the land past the Ohio River to enforce America's sovereignty in the region. Meanwhile, Major Bram Firebeard and a small volunteer force of scouts, hunters, and trackers have been dispatched with a mission of their own. They must travel deep into the wilderness to find Snickertooth… and put an end to his reign of terror by any means necessary.

Your character has just joined Major Firebeard’s expedition for reasons known only to you. You’ve made your mark on the dotted line, gathered up your trusty supplies and prepared yourself for an adventure. Now in the pre-dawn darkness you find yourself sitting around the campfire, meeting the other members of the expedition for the first time. Your eye looks out at the rest of the camp where the regular army is just starting to wake up from a short night's sleep...

Since I here (in Homebrew Campaigns pages) I guess I should contribute where I can.

historic events settings:

Do you have players at a table whom looking forward to this adventure?

How much of modern technology are you going to incorporate into this settings?

Is there going to be class selections limitation?.

Who/What Am I?
"I might have been a hmmm... eh-eh well, y'kno but, instead" I'm a fighter... --
peacekeepermedc.gif -- ...not a lover. This signature concept is from "http://www.pathguy.com/index2.htm"
html_removed
What I Doing Here?
@MTG Forums. Contestant: A Contest Like No Other hosted by Fakeartist. An Angelic Aspect In The Wild, Wild World Of The Mata Hari's Agency. @DnD Forums. Digital Artist In Training: What Do YOU Think MY Character Looks Like's Thread - @4e Character Development forum. Player (Osborn) - Bounty Hunter (Fighter DnDNext): DnD presents The Walking Dead @Play By Post Forum. Player (Shana Zorus) - Professional Bodyguard/Adventurer (Hybrid Warden/Paladin 4e): The Unhallowed Gate @Play By Post Haven Forum (DM by ffShadow) Player (Krist Breeze) - Twiceborn War Mage/Imbuer (Hybrid Warlord/Wizard 4e): Castle Greyhawk - @Real Adventures (DM by Icanus) Player (Blyne Munro) - Happy-Go-Lucky Scout/Explorer (Warlock 4e) Domain of Shadows-Darkness Falls - Play By Post Haven (DM by WhisperMagellan) Player (Ansmril) - Vistani Blessed Psalmist (Bard/Shaman 4e) The Dragon Below Can't Have It This Good - (And I'm The DM) DM - The Young Mercenaries/Ps'V-GoodShip Drow Diplomacy. DM - The Unlikely Diplomats/Ps'V- GoodShip Drow Diplomacy. DM - The Dragon Below Can't Have It This Good/Ps'V GoodShip Diplomacy. Referee - People Of Oz @Dorothy's Kansas Games(inactive). Oz League: The Ardent Lord w/People Of Oz @Dorothy's Kansas Games(inactive). Ps'V = The Players' Vault Forum Group In Which I'm The Owner Of.

1) We're a  small group that do week long campaigns with one of us running as Dm in turns....so yeah.

2) Modern? None. 18th century technology, yes.

3)  Haven't decided yet.

2) 18th century technology should work out if you geared the gunpowerdery stuff toward magic side especially in alchemy while excluding the muskets to short bows and longbows with 2W or 3W expressions with standard actions to  reload.(I would considered 2W because in actuality the  musket ball is only as deadly as the accurancy of the shooter but does carry strong odds for fatality by affection of the wound it makes. Medicine is a technology too you know.) 

Just remebered that some 18th century technology isn't suited for many of the classes especially armor and weapomry I suggested you be ready to exchange D&D expressions and the grading from common, military and surperior to common, uncommon, rare and legendary with the 18th century tech under an one item at a time scope.

3) As long as the magic side is a known fact of life for the settings I guess the class' limitations isn't that important anyway also  make sure the gear the Players' Characters are handling is suitable for any character of a different class with the same class proficiencies and equipment access. Consistency across the D&D board will near fool-proof your homebrew settings.

What you doing sounds like a lots of fun. Good Luck And Have Fun!

Who/What Am I?
"I might have been a hmmm... eh-eh well, y'kno but, instead" I'm a fighter... --
peacekeepermedc.gif -- ...not a lover. This signature concept is from "http://www.pathguy.com/index2.htm"
html_removed
What I Doing Here?
@MTG Forums. Contestant: A Contest Like No Other hosted by Fakeartist. An Angelic Aspect In The Wild, Wild World Of The Mata Hari's Agency. @DnD Forums. Digital Artist In Training: What Do YOU Think MY Character Looks Like's Thread - @4e Character Development forum. Player (Osborn) - Bounty Hunter (Fighter DnDNext): DnD presents The Walking Dead @Play By Post Forum. Player (Shana Zorus) - Professional Bodyguard/Adventurer (Hybrid Warden/Paladin 4e): The Unhallowed Gate @Play By Post Haven Forum (DM by ffShadow) Player (Krist Breeze) - Twiceborn War Mage/Imbuer (Hybrid Warlord/Wizard 4e): Castle Greyhawk - @Real Adventures (DM by Icanus) Player (Blyne Munro) - Happy-Go-Lucky Scout/Explorer (Warlock 4e) Domain of Shadows-Darkness Falls - Play By Post Haven (DM by WhisperMagellan) Player (Ansmril) - Vistani Blessed Psalmist (Bard/Shaman 4e) The Dragon Below Can't Have It This Good - (And I'm The DM) DM - The Young Mercenaries/Ps'V-GoodShip Drow Diplomacy. DM - The Unlikely Diplomats/Ps'V- GoodShip Drow Diplomacy. DM - The Dragon Below Can't Have It This Good/Ps'V GoodShip Diplomacy. Referee - People Of Oz @Dorothy's Kansas Games(inactive). Oz League: The Ardent Lord w/People Of Oz @Dorothy's Kansas Games(inactive). Ps'V = The Players' Vault Forum Group In Which I'm The Owner Of.

Cool, okay. The problem I'm having comes mostly from divine classes. How do you fit a paladin into post revolutionary society?

Sorry about the delay getting aback at you. It was the Holidays and other rl factors that won away my attentions temporary:

That's hard to believe that the Divine Classes arte presenting difficulties because in this historic era is when the one-sided and most strict living by faith or the most irrational fear of God's wrath practioner was found on the planet at the same time.

As matter of fact the divine class heroic charcter in this era can easily be seen like a Marvel Universe's citizen will view popular customed superhero at first sight which also translated as a magnet for first strike attacks from the super-baddies based on vicinty alone or the running to hide by the lesser power baddies on sight too. Divine Class character for your homebrew setting should be waliking around like a modest but powerful judge of the Judge Dredd world setting with a twist of a nuisance of people flocking to walk in the character wake. If I was you I would explained this to your player like this and as soon as the player role-play the character as anything but modest, quiet and virtuous wihile excusing all hasty poor moral judgement then immediately change that character's alignment to unaligned or evil with all non-player characters around the character and in the area or town the character is in reacting to this alignment change just to put in a genuine feel of that century's irrational fears and strict intolerance of the heathen and satan.

or  brings  

Remember in all centuries been a bad boy  is only seen as a non-religious trend no matter how successful one gets from it but those whom are bad for   gaining popular influences and political power are always seen as a different sort of state for being and these are the cases subject to direct divine interventions . 

Who/What Am I?
html_removed
What I Doing Here?

Instead of making guns high damage with long reload, consider high damage, low accuracy, like +1 or +2, and slightly less long reload.

The big problem is that most classes don't really work with ranged weapons, your soldier types are likely to be rogues, rangers, and possibly seekers rather than fighters or pallies. Warlord still works though with the ranged build.