Homebrew 4th Ed rules

4 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hi all here is a house rule that I am working on for my 4th ed campaign.

4th ed seems to be balanced more on economy of actions rather than the actual options you have. I want to double the number of encounter/at will you have and remove the daily limitation on dailies.

Here is how.

Whenever you gain a an at-will/encounter chose 2.

You have limited number of encounter powers that you can use per encounter. Whenever you would gain an encounter power, increase your number of encounter powers per encounter by 1. This means at level 1 you would normally have 1 encounter power. However this changes so you have 2 encounter powers, but can use 1 per encounter.

Dailies are no longer limted to once per day.

You may use 1 daily power per tier per encounter

Subtract the power level from your character level and you gain that as a bonus to damage for the power.  This gives a slight bonus to your lower level powers so that you you don't feel compelled to just use your highest level daily ever encounter.

Any thoughts or questions on this?

Might it be simpler and give a similar effect to have pooled powers?

I.e. instead of having x number of encounter powers you instead know x encounter powers, and can use y encounter powers per level?

rampant wrote:

Might it be simpler and give a similar effect to have pooled powers?

I.e. instead of having x number of encounter powers you instead know x encounter powers, and can use y encounter powers per level?

That is actually what I am doing.

Currenty you have X encounter powers, I am changing it to you can use your encounter powers X times per day, and you know 2X encounter powers.

X is the same number in the above statement.

At level 1 X = 1, when you get your 2nd encounter pwer, X = 2.

Things to consider:

1. Many races, classes, and various sundry things in the game provide additional encounter powers that aren't really on the same level as the standard leveled powers, or have unusual recharge mechanics. Dragon Born Breath, Leader Minor action Heals, channel divinity, and magic item/boon powers come to mind. Psionic classes, beyond the monk, don't even have encounter powers. Such things need to be addressed. Then the utility powers that are encounter powers to deal with as well.

2. Could we attempt somethign similar with Dailies assuming we find a solution to issue 1. I don't mch care for your original suggestion with dailies since it cuts the number of dailies a heroic character can use per day in half.

Note: While 4e does control the action economy strictly, the number of options is important, all else being equal the class with more options is better than the one with less, that's why expanding your wizard spell book costs feats.

Sign In to post comments