Death not as a god or a force but as a _____.

4 posts / 0 new
Last post

If the gods are gods, and magic is a natural force much like weather or wind, then what would you call Death if not a god or a force?  What would you consider the Grim Reaper, or Death of the four horsemen equillavent, as being if Death is represented as a personification of mortality but not as a natural force or as a god, but he is still able to interact with mortals or the gods.

I really hope i'm not confusing anyone...

Another exapmle, and one hopefully more clear then the one above:

If Death was actually a man that rode on a carrage driven by pale horses that came along durring times of famine or plague or war and carried off the souls of the dead and ushered them off into the after life, however Death himself is not a god (nor worshiped as one) but could still usher gods to the afterlife as easily as any mortal and would still have a seat were the gods contemplate the world, what would you call that?

Once a force becomes embodied its usually some sort of divine or infernal being. Forces lack a corperal form,though some roman gods didn't have statues erected to them even though the god/dess was assigned a gender when prayed to.

I will immediately report any Phishers or Lonely Hearts Scam Artists.

I'm assuming this is for a game and not a random philosophical question. If so, then perhaps you should ask your players what they think.

I'd call it Death. Why take out the mystery? Why limit it to a label? If it's not natural, or supernatural... let it be Death. Let it be something nobody can rightly guess, simplify, or truely understand.. its just... there.

He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life. -Revelation 21:6

Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee.-John Donne, Meditation XVII

My photo was found here.

Yea sorry, It's for a game but I did intend it to be a bit philosophical.

The way you both explained it is what I was thinking to an exact idea.  I'll give it the lable of "force" just to fit it into a category of what it is in relation to the world at large, but still keep it mysterious in a way that the people of the world wouldn't worship it as a diety.  Not a god, not demigod or angle or demon, but the personification of the spirit of death as a figure in black on a pale horse.  Just enough resemblance to something natural but with enough unnatural qualities to pull it into question.

Thanks.  What you both have said has affirmed the idea I already had established.  I just needed a secon opinion about it.

Sign In to post comments