World settings: Flat or Round?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Which do you prefer?
Which do you think lends more to one type of world over another?
I'm in the world building phase for my homebrew setting for D&D NEXT and I'm looking for a bit of insight to this.  I know I could just make a descision but I want this choice to matter and have meaning whithin the setting.  Round worldsare cool, and some would say are the correct way of thinking, but Flat world seem like they would be neat...maybe.

Lemme know what you think!   
There a few notable items about a flat world that are interesting.
Presuming the sun travels around the world:
The stars are fixed in the night sky.
There are climate considerations. Is the path of the sun fixed? Or does it change(resulting in seasons)
Fixed sun and stars makes for a simpler calendar and climate if you desire.

The idea of a flat world is more mythical and fantastical than a logical round world.
Imagine the "travel to the edge of the world" adventures. Or the pillar at the center of the circle that supports the world and holds it on the back of the giant dragon that swims through space.

Yea I was thinking of something like that.  The reason I'd like to do it is because it feels like it'd give the world a more fantastic feeling.  Elves could sail off the edge of the world when it was their time to leave the world, and they do it by literally leaving it behind.  Something like that seems like it gives the world a more fantastic air to it.

I never thought about the sun or stars staying in place.  I kind of like that idea.  It could make constelations more prominent or meaningful if I decided to do something with that.  It seems to me that  there should still be changing seasons, and I don't see the sun staying in the same spot all the time so that there is always daylight.  But that could be neat to have some sections of the world closer to the sun would have warm weather and the parts of the world that are farther away from the sun's path would be always colder.

Just ideas floating around in my head right now, but thatnls for the reply.  You definately got me thinking about some things i never thought about. 
A flat world has two sides of course. Is the other side of your planet a place where the gods dwell? Does a sun god drive a chariot across the sky? Does a round earth have a hollow center like Edgar Rice Burrough's Pellucidar? If your world was Cubical it could be as big as six worlds put together. If your world was a giant ring that stretched around the sun it would be like Larry Nivens RingWorld. Using Stormwrack you could re-design monsters using the Aquatic Template, have your world be all water, like a giant aquarnium in the sky.

I will immediately report any Phishers or Lonely Hearts Scam Artists.

Not really thinking so much about how the world would relate to the sun or it's place in a system for right now.  Really just getting a few ideas about how a flat world would look.  I like the idea of having the world being on the back of a giant sea turtle swimming through space kind of thing, and having elves sail off away from the world into their next form of life or whatever.

More-so i was just looking for ideas, and I'm fairly certain the world i develope will be round.  i was look looking at what it may look like if I chose to do a flat setting.

Thanks for all the suggestions though.

Have you been to the old spelljammer site? It's called"Beyond the Moons" , Also known as spelljammer .org. Has a lot of ships that fly thru space and some notes on fantasy solar systems.

I was actually hoping to stay away from Spelljammer.  i know it exists, it's just not something I want to include in my setting.

Well, it seems that you have already mad eup your mind, but I'll say something at the risk of being blue on black.

Firstly, which do your players prefer? I don't do a lot of world building myself, but if I was going to take the time and the effort to build a cosmology and planet at large, I would not want to build a vast, complex round world only to off-handily mention that I was thinking about doing a flat world and the players respond with:

"Ah, that sounds soooo cool. Why didn't you do that?" or " A flat world... that could have been really cool to explore. I mean, every world I've ever played in has been round."

Personally, I would handwave a lot of the mechanical aspects of it given that a flat world... doesn't exist. Instead, think about how your adventure arcs and stories change. You already have the edge of the world adventure, what happens when an ancient colony of dwarves dig a mine so deep it pierces to the other side? A master villians plan isn't to destroy the world, but to turn it upside down for... something evil. Things like that. On the whole though, a flat or round world can both be fantstic (in both senses of the world).

He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life. -Revelation 21:6

Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee.-John Donne, Meditation XVII

My photo was found here.

I generally never ask my players for concrete details about my setting.  I don't see the point in asking them.  it's my setting not theirs, and i don't mean this to sound like I'm an ass, but why would I bother ruining aspects of my setting for the players by asking them?  

I'm sure I'll go with a round world.  I'm 95% possitive that's what I'll do, but I'm only focussing my world building on one total continent, so If it ever seems like an interesting thing to suddenly reveal the world is flat to base a great adventure off of, I'll probably do it then.  I'm only focussing on one continent, so If something comes up that sounds cool att he time, it should work.  if it turnes out it doesn't, well the setting is still and always in the works.  If something happens that doesn't work out later, i can just change it back.

Again, thanks for all the replies.

BuddhaKai wrote:
 I generally never ask my players for concrete details about my setting.  I don't see the point in asking them.  it's my setting not theirs

That's... an odd way of thinking about it. It may very well be *your* setting, but its *everyone's* game. You could build an intricate, subtle, complexly robust world that *you* enjoy and adore, but if your players find it boring or quite simply don't care, then all of your effort was put in to get very little out of it. I'm not saying that they need to build it themselves and come to you with the results, as you are a participant along with them, but why not add elements that you know for a fact your players really love instead of designing one you think may do it?

BuddhaKai wrote:
 i don't mean this to sound like I'm an ass

Generaly that statement is a bad sign.

BuddhaKai wrote:
 why would I bother ruining aspects of my setting for the players by asking them?

Whoops. Read that wrong the first time. You mean ruin the suprise... In that line of thought, who says there can't still be suprises? Who says that asking your players for input means that all mystery is out the front door?

More importantly though, what do you care more about: the suprise of a setting, or the connection between the setting and not the characters but the players? The few moments of shock followed by the possibility of bland disinterest or the promise of hooked players because they are the ones who choose the bait? And even then, its not just about the outcome, about how much fun everybody has. It also has to do with the aknowledgement that you value their opinion in a game where they are the heros and they make the decisions. Its an agreement to collaborate on something you all are vested in and want to see grow organically right from the start.

All that aside, I hope your setting works out and everybody enjoys it. Good luck.

He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life. -Revelation 21:6

Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee.-John Donne, Meditation XVII

My photo was found here.

How about a Mobius Strip world?

Honestly, unless it is central to your campaign, the shape of the world is likely to be irrelevant.  When mapping a dungeon, defeating a dragon or fighting an evil overlord one rarely stops to think about the shape of the planet.

Honestly, unless it is central to your campaign, the shape of the world is likely to be irrelevant.  When mapping a dungeon, defeating a dragon or fighting an evil overlord one rarely stops to think about the shape of the planet.

michaeljpatrick wrote:

Honestly, that's why I'm not too bothered about it.

And I want to take sole responsibility for creating my own setting.  Why do i need my player's consent on anything?

Well I did have some problems in the past with race issues. I wanted to run an elven world and one of my players never played anything but a dwarf. So,depending on the races allowed ,you'll need things like a dwarven homeland , elven woods , human empires , etc.

Depends on the assumptions you're making about this world: are you assuming that everything that medieval people thought actually works? then the world is flat. Or do you want the medieval-minded people to appear backwards and simple. Then it's round. Maybe only the most learned wizards know that the world is actually round, everyone else thinks it is flat. Maybe only the most learned wizards know that the world is actually flat, everyone else thinks it is round. Or maybe it's neither. You could always take the Tolkeinian copout of "well it used to be flat, but now it's round". Or maybe your world is actually a cube (would give a new meaning to the phrase "the corners of the world"). Or pherhaps it's a sphere with a wedge cut out, so it appears flat but behaves as if it's round. Also: is this world the only one on it's plane, i.e. is it a plane by itself, or is a plane something like an entire universe? There are tons of considerations to be made. 

BuddhaKai wrote:

And I want to take sole responsibility for creating my own setting.  Why do i need my player's consent on anything?

I'll be breif seeing as how we don't see eye to eye on this. It boils down to this: Your pride in creating your own setting doesn't garuntee it a setting the players are interested or invested in. Adding elements that they suggest makes the world a combined creation, which in a cooperative social game can have great results. 

Anyways, like i said before, no matter what you do, good luck.

My photo was found here.

Sign In to post comments