Indocentric setting

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm thinking of creating a setting based on Indian-ish traditions - Hindu, Buddhist, Sikh, etc, perhaps drifting into China and the Mongols. Not literally using those traditions, but creating a fictional setting in the same way "traditional fantasy" settings default to european assumptions.

Has anybody ever put together something like that? Are there any published settings or games along these lines that you're aware of?
I'm thinking of creating a setting based on Indian-ish traditions - Hindu, Buddhist, Sikh, etc, perhaps drifting into China and the Mongols. Not literally using those traditions, but creating a fictional setting in the same way "traditional fantasy" settings default to european assumptions.

Has anybody ever put together something like that? Are there any published settings or games along these lines that you're aware of?

You could check out Kara-Tur and Oriental Adventures for some stuff on Mongols. You can check Hyrkania, Khitai and Vendhya in Conan's Hyborian Age setting for Mongolia, China and India. 
Love the idea. The indian gods and mythos are a very rich source material. I am currently running an egyptian based world that is also great for the rich source material.
I would recommend buying a book on indian religious stories and base, and build the world from those ideas up.
The world can also require extra work to make weapon, armour, and magic fit the world. 
I beleive the DMG had some hindu weapons like ankus. The 2 ed deities and demigods had hindu and asian gods.

I will immediately report any Phishers or Lonely Hearts Scam Artists.

If you're looking for inspirational source material on Indian adventures, check out the Bhagavad Gita. Short and good. 

In a VERY old campaign world of mine, I alloted space for all major Earth cultures just in case any players had a desire in play in specific mythos.  My "India-based" country was called Bengalia.  The best thing about basing countries on real world counterparts is that you have a ton of free info available in any atlas, encyclopedia, etc.  Most players won't know what is "real" and what you made up.

For me specifically, it was important to have a very realistic Indian feel to the region.  I had a large tropical jungle in the heart of the country and many larger cities located along the coast line.  Most regions were controlled by independent nobles with Indian-style titles like Padishah, Maharajah, Rajah, etc.

You can also throw in a ton of Hindu monsters like demons, devas, najas, talking monkeys, giant birds, rakshasha, etc.

Sign In to post comments