Lords of Creation II - The Interim

116 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi All.

We're trying to determine where to set up the new set of threads now that they've closed the old ones. I'm gonna open this thread in the meantime... we can make it a joint OOC/IC/MS thread as I don't anticipate it being needed for more than 24 hours, tops. So, for anyone who hasn't posted their actions this turn, now is your chance

When another admin comes on, we'll start working on creating the new ones. I'll edit this post to reflect where the new threads are when the time comes.

IC:
Nixis spun about as he finished writing.

"I am Nixis, god of Stories... born... roughly two stories below this very office. I have come to say thank you, and provide you with a new storehouse for your knowledge."
I believe you were asked to play in the Play-By-Post forum?
Hi All.

We're trying to determine where to set up the new set of threads now that they've closed the old ones. I'm gonna open this thread in the meantime... we can make it a joint OOC/IC/MS thread as I don't anticipate it being needed for more than 24 hours, tops. So, for anyone who hasn't posted their actions this turn, now is your chance

Methinks you do not pay enough attention Alexii.
Also, this isn't exactly a play-by-post game. The stated intention of the game is to construct through interaction a world as a campaign setting. That sounds to me a lot closer to the "Campaign and Adventure Workshop" forum that the PbP forum.
Bring Gleemax Back. Even as a failure, it was better than this. http://community.wizards.com/durdur
IC

Hammu went to the Place Between Places and stared at the Skyway River flowing through the center.

"Her crowning creation... just like Beacon was mine. This should get her attention... He opened the portal Rabi called the Zenith, tuned again to the polar land of Zophia, and turned it once again onto the river. Shards of ice fell and shattered on the rock, but this time the portal stayed open far longer than before. A wave of solid ice rose and crashed down the river, turning it to frozen, jagged shards ahead of itself. On the crest of the wave, Hammu sent a thought message to Mara.
mara
"So Retribution is your domain, is it? You, then, will understand why your creation undergoes this hardship. Being tempestuous seems to be part of your nature, but be warned- you will not visit your tempers on my creation again without the retribution that you so seem to crave."

PP

+1PP (The Zenith) Decreate Artifact: The Skyway River. For this turn, the Skyway River's automatic effect is nullified (anyone can create a plane for the base cost this turn). The River is not destroyed, but it is turned to ice. It still anchors the planes it attaches to- for now.

Bring Gleemax Back. Even as a failure, it was better than this. http://community.wizards.com/durdur
OOC
As long as we are limited to one thread, we need to clearly and carefull indicate what part of our posts are what. OOC, IC, and MS work fine for the moment.

As to our thread difficultues, I have PMed Webster about the matter, as while LoC is a game, it is also a campaign building exercise, and is, in my opinion, thematically appropriate for this board.

PM
I would have asked sooner, but I just got home from work. I noticed you closed our campaign building threads, Lord of Creation, over concerns of their size.

I was planning on starting a new set of threads tonight anyways, as I do recall reading that once threads get so large they become difficult on the boards.

However, I notice that you requested that we move to the play-by-post boards. While the process is run similar to a game, Lords of Creation is not a game in and of itself. It is intended and operated as a cooperative campaign building exercise, to create and interesting world populated with adventure sites, nations, and history for a DM to work with. Along the way, participants will often add in their own homevrew material, and the end result is a world far richer than most could or would develop on their own.

In all, I, and many of the participants agree, feel that s a campaign building exercise, Lord of Creation is appropriate in the Campaign & Adventure Workshop. I hope to restart with new threads there, but if we will continually be closed or moved regardless, I'd like to know now, and save the time for all involved.

As soon as Webster gets back to me one way or the other, I'll create a new set of threads.

IC
Nixis was quickly able to discover no one around him. It was if the walls themselves were speaking. "You were born here? So was I. How is it I've never heard anybody talk about you or mention you?"

"I suppose I don't even know your name, do I?"

"Then again, you must be older than I, since I know everything that goes on within these walls, and I never noticed your birth."

IC
Veros smiled at Mara once more. "I hope we see each other much sooner this time." Ans with that he was gone, returned to the workshop. It was time to clean up and resume some of his forgotten experiments.

http://community.wizards.com/play-by-post_haven The Play-by-Post recruitment hub for the forums. Stop by, join us, and sign up for some games while you are there

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
MS:
Veros:

Tha Azoran said, "What kind of meeting?"

Nixis: OOC: Still waiting for a response to the MS...

Nerdzul OOC: The MS is getting a bit slow... we should end it soon.
MS
They watched him. "A meeting between the rules of ther continental nations, or at least their representatives. We hope to build an alliance to prevent future conflict."

http://community.wizards.com/play-by-post_haven The Play-by-Post recruitment hub for the forums. Stop by, join us, and sign up for some games while you are there

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
OOC:
Shadow, Tinwe, my thoughts exactly. Chapien, I'll get back to you on MS when we get the new threads up.

IC:

Nixis laughed.

"Well, now thats something I did not expect. Are you the Keep? I imagine that they didn't speak of my birth because they did not know that I was created. I'm sure there are records of the tresspasses into the Keep. Look back for two gnomes who snuck in and were found in a library full of blank sheets. I'm, well... I'm those sheets... or at least the stories that were on it."
IC
A figure slowly materialized before Nixis, a young girl, watchin him. "I do remember reading about that. They still think that room is cursed."

She walked over to him, circling, before reading his note. "Your funny. A creature made out of words. What are you, anyway?"

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
IC:
Nixis watched the girl appear. Swirling in place, he assumed his humanoid form and bowed.

"Ah, it is good to meet you face to face, as it were. I am a God, much like the others you know... Veros, Shurka, Vymrl... I am just much younger than any of them."

Nixis chuckled.

"Still Cursed? Oh, no... I dont think so... although I find it quite wonderful that I have managed to create such a longstanding superstition!"
IC
"Gods?" she questioned. "I have heard the people living within me talk about them, but I don't know them. Should I?"

She leaned forward, watching him closer. "Your a god. Doesn't look very impressive. How can I be sure?" she asked, more to herself than anyone in particular.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
IC:
"Know them personally? No, I doubt it. Veros, at least, seems to enjoy pulling the strings from behind several dark shrouds... and as Lord of Knowledge, he'd be the most likely to interact with the Loremasters. I think I'm just more... personable."

"As for how you know that I'm a God..."

Nixis snapped his fingers and a beautiful flower appeared. He handed it to the girl.

"Do you know anyone else who can do that?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Elsewhere, two gnomes looked at each other, quite surprised as the flower he had been giving her had simply vanished.

"Err... I'll go get another", he said.

She laughed. "Don't worry about it. What the gods want, the gods get."
IC
She nodded. "Yes, Veros is spoken of quite often. But your trick isn't that impressive. I can do it to." She gives him a funny look andf lifts her hand, a large heavy book materializing. Despite it's size, she moves it around as if it were light as a feather.

"This is one of their most valuable books. Supposed to be a copy of ancient records kept on stone tablets in the deepest darkest tunnels."

Tossing it into the air, it vanished back to it's storage room. Grabbing his flower, she grinned. "Thank you for the flower though."

OOC
The reset will be set back for an extra hour or two tonight, to insure people have time to deal with their actions.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
OOC
Chapien, just a heads up for the future. I noted that you used Mold Land to create a forest earlier this turn. You should know that forests would be a Nourish Land. Mold is for mountains, rivers, and such.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
OOC
Chapien, just a heads up for the future. I noted that you used Mold Land to create a forest earlier this turn. You should know that forests would be a Nourish Land. Mold is for mountains, rivers, and such.

OOC: Ah ok. Well, to late to fix that, So I'll just note that for the future.
OOC
Yeah, I recorded it properly in the records. Just wanted to mention it for future reference.

By the way, I continued our MS here.
MS
They watched him. "A meeting between the rules of ther continental nations, or at least their representatives. We hope to build an alliance to prevent future conflict."

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
IC:

Across the lands of the Bronze Pantheon, Hammu turned some of the hearts of the people towards himself. The most balanced of the Warforged, Free people and Sanguhin turn to become clerics, paladins and enforcers of the law. Justice would have these ones. Worshippers made the trek to Beacon into a kind of pilgrimage, and their coin swelled the coffers of both the church and city.

----------

His message sent along the Skyway River, Hammu moved to the surface of the world. From here, he could see the devastation the recent war had wreaked on the earth, and too- he could see where Drevan's Gray Wastes had caused such hardship for Lord Azor'Chapien's people. Drevan. Now there was a blight on the creation. Just as well for all of us that he is gone again. His creations, though... his creations linger on.

Hammu called Rabi to himself, and sent him on to Xirinet with a message, after which he retired to the Place Between Places. After much time in thought, Hammu stepped through his portal into the Farscape.
Xirinet

Lord of Life. I know you love to create life, and I know you love to see what those breaths and thoughts do once given form. Such was the case with the former Lord Drevan, before Lord Veros took back the power which was his. I would like to embark on an experiment of my own, trying to clean up some of Drevan's mess, and I would like to have your expertise. What say you? Shall we create together?

----------

Having observed the deadly effectiveness of the gnoll archers over many years, the soldiers of The Well set about adapting the curious bows to their own paws. Examples were drawn from memory, and experiment after experiment failed. Finally, the smiths developed a kind of spring that could be strung and used as a crossbow. So equipped, the Well's soldiers found even more success in battle.

Show

2PP +1PP (The Code) Guide Populace: Portions of the populations of Warforged, Free people and Sanguhin worship Hammu specifically over all other gods of the pantheon save their creators.
+1PP (Ahura the Reborn) Nourish Populace: Beacon grows more wealthy and powerful
2PP Guide Populace: The Well develops Archery
1PP Nourish Populace: The Well grows in strength
OOC
Just a heads up for you, Tinwe, Wyld is on vacation for the duration of the week. He left just a few hours ago.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
Chapien, you may have missed my post in MS about the Azorans. (Or I missed a reply). It's post number 1198 I think (thrid to last on the second to last page)

IC

While Shurka's new creations would defend the Terenean States, the citizens themselves were unaware. Together, New Terena, The Theocracy of Menior, and Rusten had entered a new age in the history of Terena. The citizens were glad to be back in their old home.

Well, not quite.

There were some places where no Terenean dared to enter. The center of Old Terena (which was fortunately a good distance from Eorna) had blighted land, and crumpled structures. The old Hall of the White Shield, and the Defense Coalition's Headquarters were fittingly enough where the ruins had the worst blight. Tereneans would not enter for fear of a great curse hanging in the air. The air was dead and cold. Yet... things stirred...

2 PP (From Wyld) - Nourish Populace x2 - Terenean States
0 PP (+1 Eorna) - Denourish Land - Ruins in Old Terena become blighted. Will add creatures later.
Resident generic resident.
Well, you might of missed the fact that Topheh started us off...

Don't worry, as soon as Topheh continues us, we'll meet up with your envoy.
IC
The workshop back in order, Veros opened a rift in reality, taking one last look at the figure sleeping on the slab before he stepped through. Considering it for a moment, he shook his head and moved into the Astral Sea.

In a remote location far from common traffic, where he had left it, he found the place that his thoughts had coalesced, forming the shape of a continent, a new land mass that he had seen, a vision from the future he had received when he used the Temporal Vortex in Shurka's presence. An odd side effect, one that he would investigate another time.

It had developed exactly as he had hoped, and was ready. He opened his mind and willed the power outwards, opening the way for this continent to move to where it was intended. Slowly, the great mass fell through the portal, beginning to pick up speed as the force of the Dimensional Bulwark began to act and pull on it, drawing it into the world.

High above the world, the gateway opened, dropping the landmass onto the Azure Aegis. With a resounding boom that echoed through the world, the aegis crumbled under the continent's weight. As it fell, the whole in the aegis unleashed a massive vortex as air rushed into the opening, scattering into the aether as the whole began to heal.

It continued to fall, landing heavily in the ocean as it slowly settled, sending mighty waves off into the distance. These waves would wreak havoc with shipping far away in the Free Nation and Taldar, as ships sank beneath incredible waves.

The land settled, and Veros followed it through, making his way to its barren shores. Sucking in a deep breath of air, he released it, letting life flow into the land, forcing it to blossom and flourish. It was not as much as he had hoped, but there would be time to make the land richer later.

He rose into the air high above, and looked down at his new land. It needed more. He stretched his arms wide, sending forth inky black tendrils that seemed to suck the very light from the air as they moved, imperceptible to mortal eyes, seeking out population centers around the world. Wherever they went, there was a rash of disappearances as Veros drew them out, bringing them to their new homeland.

Settling back to the ground, he looked around him at the odd people he was now surrounded with. Goblins, they called themselves, a creation of Siccadan’s before he chose the great sleep. Alone, they would soon be destroyed or enslaved by their neighbors. He lifted his staff, selecting a choice amount of the goblins, making them stronger, faster, taller, more durable, and more intelligent. These hobgoblins would be left to find their own way along with their kin.

Tired, Veros rose into the air once more, settling in to watch them develop, nodding as Alocasia finally found him, slipping into her customary position around his neck. Deprived of the support of their homelands, lacking nations, cities, organizations, and even animals they were accustomed to, the people didn't segregate into racial cities as they normally would, but instead banded together, offering each other their unique skills. As the time began to pass, various small city states began to rise up, held together by warlords strong enough to enforce their will. As a warlord would perish, his city would fall into disrepair as his soldiers and various mercenaries vied for power until a new warlord would rise up.

No matter where one might go on the continent, nobody could hold land more than a day or two walk from their cities. Mercenaries roamed the land, and ones property would only remain as long as you had the strength to keep it from others who wanted it.

-----

IC
His eyes opened, gray orbs seeking the darkest shadows of the room, looking for any company he might have. Nothing. He rose from the stone table, and attempted to open a gateway beyond, only to find his way blocked. Frowning, he shook his head. "It seems I am stuck here until he elects to deal with me."

PP Expenditures
2 PP + 1 (Artifact) - Mold Land (Greater) - The continent of Novindus
1 PP - Guide Populace (Lesser) - Bring Elves to Novindus
1 PP - Guide Populace (Lesser) - Bring Humans to Novindus
1 PP - Nourish Populace (Lesser) - The people of Novindus rally into a wide variety of city-states
1 PP - Guide Populace (Lesser) - Bring Doppelgangers to Novindus
1 PP - Guide Populace (Lesser) - Bring Shadar-kai to Novindus
1 PP - Guide Populace (Lesser) - Bring Dwarves to Novindus
1 PP - Guide Populace (Lesser) - Bring Goblins to Novindus
1 PP + 1 (Artifact) - Shape Populace (Lesser) - Hobgoblins
1 PP (Artifact) - Guide Populace (Lesser) - Bring Orcs to Novindus
1 PP (Artifact) - Nourish Land - Breath life into Novindus

OOC
Reset will be up in the next 20 minutes or so

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
Shadow, there is something that must be said.

Me, Nerdzul, and a few others have come to think that maybe we should pull the plug, start LoC over, and get new admins. Also, we think that the rules need a change.

This may sound drastic, but we don't have to just stop. We could start the new thread, and still continue the old/new threads! That away, we have two instances of LoC running at once, meaning that those who wish to continue the old edition and finish the world can go on ahead, while the rest of us start anew, and some people maybe even post in both!

Just voicing what we think.
Turn 48 begins now. 12,000 years have elapsed since the beginning of existence.

PP Refresh
8 - Veros
7 -
6 - Xirinet, Vymrl, Shurka, Mara, Hensen Jijou,
5 - Kiptar, Nixis, Hammu, Chroma
4 - Azor-Chapien, Starl, Honissia, Torvek

What rules are you thinking about?

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
After much back-and-forth and sometimes rather intense negotiations, in which the Free Nation representatives got the distinct feeling of danger if things fell through, an agreement was hammered out.

The Agreement between the Nations of Latane and Free Nation,

1) The Latane will find a suitable habitable island off its coast that is part of its territory, with a sufficient harbor or make a sufficient harbor for Free Nation ships., and a fresh water supply. This island shall beknown as the "Foreign Trade Zone."

2) Free Nation vessels will be able to dock, load and unload goods, and embark and disembark crews at the Foreign Trade Zone. Free Nation citizens and ships will not be allowed anywhere else in Latane. The Free Nation shall pay for the construction and improvement of a harbor and port suitable for its vessels and to its specifications. Any dues paid by ships and customs shall go to pay for the cost of construction, and thereafter for maintenance of the harbor by an organization created by the Free Nation for said purpose.

3) Free Nation citizens on the island will be subject to Latane laws, while aboard their own ships to that of the flag entity.

4) The Free Nations agrees to do no further exploration of or around or over the continent of Ymo, to contact or make representations to other nations or groups on the continent of Ymo without the prior approval of the Latane.

5) The Foreign Trade Zone shall be the sole and exclusive location and means of trade. The Free Nations will not trade with any other nation or group in Ymo and Latane will not trade with any other foreign power outside of Ymo.

6) The Free Nations will only disclose to those that have a necessity the existence of Ymo, Latane, etc. In no way shall the existence be disclosed to foreign nations, groups, etc or be allowed to be found out, taken, or otherwise disseminated. The Free Nations will use best efforts to restrict other foreign powers from learning of Ymo. (OOC: No contact can be had in any way without express approval of the affected nation's player)

7) No technology or good from either nation may be traded to the other nation unless explicitly approved in specific memorandum. The tradee may trade any so-gained technology or good to a third party only with the express approval of the donor nation. (OOC: Express approval by originating player for any tech or good movement by any other player).

8) Latane will establish a consular office in the Foreign Trade Zone for the purpose of facilitating communications. The Free Nation will be allowed to establish an embassy office in the Foreign Trade Zone.

Indeed there concern was perhaps truer than they realized. Several times during the negotations a few ministers to the King insisted the best course of action was to kill the explorers and their escorts, erasing any knowledge of the country or continent. The King though, was still enticed by the idea of more money and wealth, an exclusivity that would better position his country against the others. It was through the hard and persistant work of Falis that the deal was finally made.

The island was selected by the Latane. It was off the edge of the prong of their *****ula, with a sheltered harbor that was naturally deep and could be easily dredged. The island was somewhat mountainous and had one larger than the rest, but fresh water was available and could be brought in via an aqueduct to the harbor. The Latane built the aqueduct with wood and sealed it with pitch and low level magic. To the Free Nation people building the port, it was absurdely primitive, but it was more than functional. The rest of the town would be built to the Latane specifications, with wooden houses and buildings clustered together and dirt streets.

Ironically, the Latane had to learn a modicum of boat experience to get goods from the island to the main land. There expertise was no where near the Free Nations, but it only had to be good enough.

Show

2 PP - Latane - Guide Populace (1 from Astral Orrery)- Learn coastal sailing and fishing.

2 PP - Mold Land - Create some Islands off the tip of the Latane *****ula, one being the island described above.

1 PP - Nourish Populace (from Exarch) - Latane
OOC
MassiveAttack, you just missed the cut-off, but I'll grandfather those actions over to last turn, since we've had such a disruption today.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
Turn 48 begins now. 12,000 years have elapsed since the beginning of existence.

PP Refresh
8 - Veros
7 -
6 - Xirinet, Vymrl, Shurka, Mara, Hensen Jijou,
5 - Kiptar, Nixis, Hammu, Chroma
4 - Azor-Chapien, Starl, Honissia, Torvek

What rules are you thinking about?

Well, I personally just want to start again. Others said that they wanted some rule changes, I don't know what yet.
OOC
Why do you want to start again?

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
OOC
Why do you want to start again?

Me? Personally?

Well, personally, I just feel that currently we aren't going anywhere... It feel like things are somewhat at a standstill for me. This may also be a factor, but I'm getting bored with the current LoC and I think its time to start with some fresh blood.
OOC
Anyways, I wouldn't care about starting a new one either way. If I were to start a new one personally, I'd probably not play, and just stick to admining, as I'm getting played out myself.

If a majority of active players agrees (those on the reset list), I'd be happy to start a new one. The bookkeeping involved with all of the inactive gods is getting hard on me, and I've developed several bookkeeping tricks that would have been helpful early on had I known about them.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
OOC
Anyways, I wouldn't care about starting a new one either way. If I were to start a new one personally, I'd probably not play, and just stick to admining, as I'm getting played out myself.

If a majority of active players agrees (those on the reset list), I'd be happy to start a new one. The bookkeeping involved with all of the inactive gods is getting hard on me, and I've developed several bookkeeping tricks that would have been helpful early on had I known about them.

Well, I was talking with Topheh on AIM earlier, and he said we could start a poll to see if we start again or not. That would work.
OOC

To Massive: hehe apparently the profanity filter cut off the name of the island :p

To Shadow \ Chapien:
I agree with the idea of a reboot of the game, aslo I think that the world is quite ready with many interesting place a rich background and so on. It is also becoming a little "crystallized" imho and unfriendly to new players.

Even if we stop anyway I'd love to see some kind of "Grand Finale" in the next few month if you agree (for example we can have the mortal races "cast away" the gods somehow so that they are free to choose their destiny on their own).
And a play by post game maybe (to get dirty and not lose the characters and myths), I have seen you testing some "battle grids" on the OOC thread right shadow? Gief hehe...

About new possible rules for the future I have a few ideas:

Show

Techs: like this the tech up of nations is going too slow imho, we can fix it by making learning new stuff faster. Or by creating "tech packs" or "culutral levels". I'll make a more detailed post about that idea in the future.

De-Actions: I think we should discourage this, using OOC thread (and some common sense) to ask for actions to be reverted if they really hurt some other player creations (like we did when we I made the artifact messing up with the souls and you asked me to erase it) or just find a way around the problem, as a counter-incentive we should make a de-action cost at least twice of a standard one.

Nations powers and war: First I think we should use the OOC post more to plan for wars and battle outcomes and also make a better rule framework for that (in confront of the one we have now). Same for divine conflict, I think we might find another way to work it out.

Power level and "levelling up": I think we can raise a little the general power level (by reducing the cost of stuff or increasing the point costs, more actions = more fun usually). Also the levelling up system should be made public (with some cautions to avoid "power playing").
Maybe the way of "ascending gods" can also be reworked to provide incentives for it.

The admin system: we should rework it imho, I'll write more about that in the next few days.

These are only a few ideas I have more (and more detailed ones), but I'm getting sleepy now (damned time differences).

Good Night
OOC
I don't think is was the island name, just
p*e*n*i*n*s*u*l*a
Given what the first 5 letters spell.

As for techs, I had wanted to provide a sample list at several points, to give a general idea of what a guide could get you, and every time I began working on it, somebody talked me out of it. If we worked out such a list, I think placing limits on getting some things, like "must have XX first" would be the next step.

As for De-Actions, nations, and wars, it was always best to work it out OOC.

For providing more PP, that was why this game has turns twice a week rather than once a week. Everybody has twice as much PP in this game than they would have in the previous one. However, I could see increasing it slightly, or even creating a 'refresh rate', so to speak, where you gain X PP every day. As for the levelling system, I firmly beleive that putting that knowledge in player hands will result in power-gaming. I also want to place more limits on PP producing artifacts

For ascending gods, I'm all ears.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
The problem is that I think players/gods often don't look at things from the perspective of variation within what they are doing. For example, this is particularl becoming a problem with alliances (From a metagaming critique, the "grand alliance" is only going to stiltify the main continent.

Anyways, this has been owed for a long time:

"AE-SYLVANI. I AM CHUKWA, EXARCH OF NIXIS. I COME BEARING A MESSAGE FROM THOSE WHOM YOU HAVE ATTACKED. WE ARE THE CHILDREN OF THE AETHER. WE SEEK NO QUARREL WITH YOU, YET YOU ATTACK US, WE WHO HAVE FLED THE SURFACE FOR THIS VERY PURPOSE. COME OUT AND SPEAK WITH US, THAT WE MAY SOLVE OUR MISCOMMUNICATION."

A Ae-Sylvani Druid came to the top of the trees, an older Druid but not one that was so old as to be frail. He was tall and strong. "So the rumours are true, you are the Zaratan that speaks but does not sing. The Ae-Sylvani are the true Children of the Aether since the beginning of the universe, and we are the only Children of the Aether.

You would so desecrate yourself by having worlders live on you, but you are a Zaratan and I can only respect that decision. But, that does not mean we will allow worlders to take over our Aether, consuming it and destroying it, and then it will only be inevitable they will come for us.

No, go back to where you came from Worlders, the Aether is not for you."
To Massive: mmm I agree with you about that...

To Shadow:
About techs:
We can have 2 paralel systems.
1 Cultural levels: large packs of techs that represent the "standard" evolution (stone age, bronze age and so on) that are really free in form but grant basic knowledge of a lot of stuff (reading\writing, paper\other ways of writing, woodworking, stone working, some metal working and so on).
2 "Fantasy techs" (like flying vessels, spellcasting, teleportation, super powers, special, unique cultures and so on), and classes, left with the old system (maybe with the cost reduced to 1 point).

For Wars and so on: yes but since we did not manage to do that in the last few conflicts some more rules might help I think.

For PP, maybe a daily accrual would be nice, but without the need for a reset (just a single post with accrued PP for each god) and without PP deacy for not using them (even if that will need some work to balance).

A public, simplyfied formula might help much imho (we can also just make all actions matter in the same way). Trust your players, they are here to have fun in a world creation thread after all...

With an higher PP production rate we can also scrap the idea of artifats and exarchs granting point (so that the incentive to produce them will only be the one of adding new cool things to the world)

For ascending gods we can say that, for example, ascended gods and their "parent" gain some PP bonus (a small one) in confront of "self-ascended" ones. So that ppl will have the choice between being stronger, but with some kind of "debt". Or be slightly weaker but totally independent.
Also I think that we should increase a little the PP bonus for new players.

Now I'll go to sleep for real hehe. Good Night :p
OOC
I see what you mean with the techs, and that could be fairly workable, if we balance it carefully.

For the PP, you're right. We would no longer need the reset, just a daily post listing how much each god currently has from their accrual, which means we could still have admin awards once or twice a week. As for decay, there is no need, we just intgrate the current system in reverse, with it indicating the maximum you can hold.

There are some players I trust, and there are others I don't. Unless we screen players, something I would never stand for (some of the previous admins didn't want to let some current players in, for example), we would eventually have a problem.

I could also see integrating a slight bonus into the formula for those who ascend gods, as well as those that get ascended. However, I wouldn't consider stating that all new gods after the first 5-10 must be ascended a bad idea either.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
There is an odd facet about this game: the early game should be about world-changing and creation and large scale events, the late game should be about politics and fine tuning, tweaking the world. But the PP development system encourages the exact opposite. What if we had "ages" in the game--three ages each with different cost structures. Going from one age to the next could be done by certain triggers.

Regarding a daily PP system--I agree with Shadow. There should be a cap on how much total you can gather. This cap can be raised by activity (note: raising pp generation itself wouldn't work as well in a daily system-- e.g. a 2 pp per day god is way more powerful than a 1 pp per day god). Bonus PP wouldn't count towards the cap.

I like the idea of giving an incentive to birth a god--it's expensive early game.

Techs--not sure what to do here, tech trees will be quickly become hated by players for not allowing creativity. Having said that, it is pretty absurd that some nations got "advanced architecture" without ever getting "architecture." Anyways, I do think there should be tiered *costs* for techs.

Finally, artifacts. May need work. Notice how almost no 1PP mortal level artifacts were created (and many of those that were created were way too powerful for players in an RPG game). In an daily PP system, the producer artifacts would also need to be reduced (accounting nightmare) or just not allowed. Not sure on this.
OOC
I don't think is was the island name, just
p*e*n*i*n*s*u*l*a
Given what the first 5 letters spell.

Penin? I wasn't aware that's a bad word :P
OOC
You bring up an excellent point, MassiveAttack. During our early considerations on starting the game, I breifly interjected an idea that PP costs be reversed, to a degree, for the first many turns. This would make earthshaking changes easy early on, and populaces and such expensive, then reversing it at a co-operatively chosen time. I was outvoted on that. It would and could be an acceptable change in my eyes.

For the PP generation per day, yes 2/day is too much. I was thinking of taking a certain amount of decimals into play. For example, I'm sitting at 8 PP officially. In reality, I'm getting 8.09 PP per turn, but the remainder is wasted. Another example would be Tsaroka-Noggoth. last official PP gain was 6. Camu was actually getting 6.41 PP per turn. Kiptar - 5. Actual - 5.71.

Currently, that remainder is simply discarded in all cases. However, in a daily refresh method, we could allo this partial PP to accumulat as well, so the direct variations in are more gradual and less of a sudden jump. It would also give people a small indication of exactly how far they are along.

And costing more/less for techs is certainly implementable. We currently have a Lesser and Greater tier. No reason we couldn't divide techs among those, and expand it to include a moderate tier.

1 PP artifacts we almost not included in the system at all. I had to argue and cajole the other admins to leave them in, sighting that they make excellent fluff material. As for PP producing artifacts, I have a simple fix, that makes them managable and weakens them. They provide their PP once per week.

And Mechalibur, I spelled it correctly, but I'd be willing to bet that Massive didn't. I know I frequently have to correct myself and add that extra n.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
How would daily PP affect combat? Everyone would have a low base combat bonus, so artifacts and exarchs would affect combat a lot.

Edit: You just answered that in the last post... I should read more carefully...

If we end up doing a "Grand Finale," I'm thinking of a Ragnorak-like end. Meaning a big battle between two different sides... that would be pretty epic.
Combat could still be linked to your maximum, or we could devise a new combat system. One thing to consider is that we could add a combat system with a random element, using an online dice roller. It would make combat a more random thing.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
Sign In to post comments