Miss something from 3/3.5e? Get it converted here

73 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay, so here's the thing. Most of the 4th edition material is transitioning something from 3rd or 3.5 edition. However, seeing as there is a tiny amount of 4th edition material as compared to the stuff from 3 or 3.5 edition, there's still a lot of stuff that people want converted to 4th edition.

That being noted, I'm offering to convert any material that you want from 3rd or 3.5 edition to 4th edition. All you have to do is ask for it on this thread and I will convert it. Races, classes, anything. However, any class that you ask for will most likely be converted into a paragon path, a series of feats, and/or maybe some powers.
How about the dragon shaman
Here is a really easy one. The Leadership feat.
Dark Sun DM starting October 18th 2010 Level 4 Tiefling Orbizard Level 3 Tiefling Telepath Psion

12.jpg
D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

Here is a really easy one. The Leadership feat.

Trick question. Nothing can provide a PC with another creature that takes a full set of actions.
Perhaps convert Leadership as a way to establish a home base or organization, but not have additional allies in your adventures? It could let you build a small support system: sages to do research when you need to know about an abandoned temple, weaponsmiths to do the work upgrading your weaponry (maybe a small discount, maybe not), a few guards to keep everything secure, and the facilities to rest up and heal between adventures. More "feudal lord" than "Master's of Battle Administration."

EDIT: Gave it some more thought:

Leadership
Prerequisite: 5th level, Cha 15
Benefit: You attract the services of a number of noncombatants. You may have a maximum of 2 associates per level. The DM has control over the exact makeup of your associates, including events that increase or decrease the numbers following you, but guidelines are presented below:

Leadership Score:
Base: 10 + Charisma modifier
You treat your associates well, keeping them safe as best you can: +2
You are an ally to an established nation: +2
You treat your associates poorly, putting them in unnecessary danger on a regular basis: -2
You are a criminal or otherwise oppose a lawful government: -2
Attacks are made on your organization: -2
(Needs additional modifiers, covering both your actions and world events)

Number of associates:
Leadership score 10 or less: 50% of maximum
Leadership score 11-15: 70% of maximum
Leadership score 16-20: 90% of maximum
Leadership score 21+: Maximum

Associate Types:
Craftsman: Can supply mundane equipment.
Sage: Has a +8 modifier in Arcana, Dungeoneering, History, Nature, or Religion
Enchanter: Can perform the Enchant Magic Item or Alchemy ritual
Healer: Has a +8 modifier in Heal
Guard: Is a level 1-5 Soldier, Skirmisher, or Brute

Improved Leadership
Prerequisite: Paragon Tier, Cha 17
Benefit: You can have up to 5 associates per level.

Epic Leadership
Prerequisite: Epic Tier, Cha 19
Benefit: You can have up to 10 associates per level.
Miss something from 3/3.5e?

Yeah, I miss the roleplaying factor of D&D.

Any roads, though that leadership feat is nice, how do I do, as a player, if I want to hire any numbers of mercenaries to protect me in my adventures? Let's say, I'm a wizard, and I want a meat shield that can block enemies while I destroy them from afar. How can I do that? And, don't answer "get a party", because that's not what I want. I want mercenaries, payblades that have no opinion in my decisions or a part of the treasures I found in my adventures (other than their payment).

Also, I would want to see the paladin's mount.

Easy, just take out skill chalanges and you are back down to the roleplaying factor of 3.x.

Any roads, though that leadership feat is nice, how do I do, as a player, if I want to hire any numbers of mercenaries to protect me in my adventures? Let's say, I'm a wizard, and I want a meat shield that can block enemies while I destroy them from afar. How can I do that? And, don't answer "get a party", because that's not what I want. I want mercenaries, payblades that have no opinion in my decisions or a part of the treasures I found in my adventures (other than their payment).

Ask your DM to introduce some NPCs for you. They can be fighters or rouges or whatever you want. Remember they are effectively party members so they can be payed with some of the treasure parcels you get.

Also, I would want to see the paladin's mount.

You can wait for Divine power to get a mount paladin, or you can use a horse or the other mounts in Adventure's Vault. Also don't forget the mounted combat feat.
Oh yeah...I should have thought of that. If you want to have companions, sure, hire them...but the DM gets control of them, down to the roleplaying. I actually did that in a campaign I run, and just added on extra monsters to liven things up.
Alright, the Leadership feat isn't that easy to replace in the grand scheme of 4e. However, amongst the lines of meat shields here is a little feat to grant you some meat shield(s) of sorts:

Leader's Cohort
Prerequisites: Cha 13
Benefit: When traveling, and before each dungeon crawl, you gain the services of a special companion. This companion has hit points equal to twice your level + your Cha modifier. It has a standard attack that deals 1d8 + your Cha modifier damage. Its defenses are equal to your own - 1. If killed, the companion reappears as soon as you start traveling or are about to enter a dungeon. The cohort has its own turn, but is only allowed one standard action and move action per turn. If your cohort dies, you must pay 10 gold per level to regain it.
Special: You can not select or have selected Posse in order to have this feat.

Improved Leader's Cohort
Prerequisites: Leader's Cohort
Benefit: Your cohort gains a multiclass feat, and its hit points increase by 2.

Posse
Prerequisites: Cha 13
Benefit: You gain a number of minions equal to your Cha modifier. They have a number of hit points equal to half your level, and an attack that deals 1d6 damage. They have defences equal to your own. The minions have their own turns, but may only take one move or standard action on its own.
Special: You can not select or have selected Leader's Cohort in order to have this feat.

Now, for Dragon Shaman....

Dragon Shaman

Prerequisites: Training in Arcana

You have often looked at the order of things in the world, and have noticed one thing: Dragons tend to come out on top. You have often admired the power and audacity of dragons, and try to channel their energy to become more like them.

Before entering this paragon path, you must choose a type of dragon. All powers and class features that involve energy are the same type of energy as the dragon you choose.

Dragon Shaman Class Features

Dragon Shaman's Action(11th level): When you spend an action point, make a basic melee or ranged attack against the closest enemy.

Dragon's Attack(11th level): When you make a basic melee or ranged attack, add an amount of damage to the attack equal to your Strength modifier. The damage type is the same of the dragon's energy type.

Blessing of the Dragon(16th level): You add your Constitution modifier to your healing surge value, and gain scales that give you a +2 AC bonus

Dragon's Breath____________________Dragon Shaman Attack 11
Encounter[] Acid, Cold, Fire, or Lightning

Standard Action Close Blast 4

Target: Each creature within blast

Attack: Strength +2 vs. Reflex

Hit: 2d8 + Con modifier energy damage

Dragon's Wings__________Dragon Shaman Attack 12
Encounter

Standard Action Personal

Effect: You gain a fly speed equal to your regular speed + your Con modifier. This lasts until the end of the encounter

I'm the Dragon Now!________________Dragon Shaman Attack 20
Daily [] Arcane,Acid, Cold, Fire, or Lightning

Standard Action Personal/ Close blast 2(see power for details)

Hit: 3d6 + Con modifier energy Damage.
Miss: Half damage.
Effect: You gain a fly speed equal to your land speed, and +1 to AC. Also, your size increases by one size for the duration of the power.
Sustain: The power's effect continues. You can't sustain this power on a miss. In the event of a miss, the effect granted by this power persists for two rounds or until the encounter ends, whichever first.

What do you all think of that?
awesome thanks
No problem Viscera. Now, any more requests/ comments on "Leadership" feats?
kieferz posted:
EDIT: Gave it (the Leadership feat) some more thought:

I think that's definitely a good start, though I'd actually dump a lot of the complex mechanics and the level requirement for the feat and instead just have a fixed number of followers per level and have all the available follower types be non-combatant minions rather like the minion created by the undead servant ritual.

This would make them useful for performing non-combat tasks like making camp, holding your torch, carrying your treasure, or standing watch at night while you sleep. But you're a hero and they're not. When the nasty stuff comes around they're going to be backing off and letting you do your job.
Um, there's no level requirement for the leadership feat. And the reason that they have combat ability is because someone on here wanted meat shields. This makes sense as cohorts and followers in 3.5e had combat ability.
The Quori Mindhunter Prestige Class as a Paragon Path.
Shaman: "Why doesn't the squirrel shoot the wizard?" DM: "Because the last squirrel who tried to shoot the wizard missed, then was pulled out of his tree and incinerated." Wizard: "He has a point."
Um, can you tell me which book that's from? I'm not familiar with the prestige class
Um, can you tell me which book that's from? I'm not familiar with the prestige class

Magic of Eberron.
Great book.
Shaman: "Why doesn't the squirrel shoot the wizard?" DM: "Because the last squirrel who tried to shoot the wizard missed, then was pulled out of his tree and incinerated." Wizard: "He has a point."
Well, I don't think I can quite convert it into a paragon path, but I can manage a few feats based on it:

Feats with [Quori] require you to first take the Vessel feat.

Vessel
Prerequisites: Int 13, Con 13
Benefits: You gain a +1 to Int, and you may use Int in place of Con or Str when making checks.

Thought Shield[Quori]
Benefits: You gain a +2 to powers with the Psychic keyword.

Quori's Power[Quori]
Prerequisites: have a multi-class feat
Benefit: The quori inside your mind brings its own knowledge to your abilities. Select a class that you have not multi-classed into. You are treated as having multi-classed into it for the purpose of the Acolyte, Adept, and Novice Power feats.

Does this satisfy you?
[
Um, there's no level requirement for the leadership feat. And the reason that they have combat ability is because someone on here wanted meat shields. This makes sense as cohorts and followers in 3.5e had combat ability.

I was quoting kieferz' version of the feat (note the top of the "quote" box in my previous post), not yours. His version included a requirement of 5th level or higher. I think that version of the feat was pretty close to what I'd expect out of WotC should they ever decide to "grace" us with the leadership feat again.

Second, your version of the feat is extremely more powerful than ANY other feat I've seen in 4E. Its on par with class features like the ranger's animal companion or a shaman's spirit, only it doesn't take actions from the PC to have them function which makes it even better (and you get them back without having to expend any resources?).

Take a look at familiars in "Arcane Power" and the Undead Servant ritual in "Open Grave" for an idea of what the power-level of followers gained via a feat should probably look like.

Honestly? I'd be more inclined to expect Leadership to be handled as some sort of paragon path option with the features, attack, and utility powers centered around your minions being able to take actions in combat.

Leadership was one of those things that was incredibly prone to abuse 3E and that's why I'm really glad they did away with it. I've sat through games where the PC with leadership's turn lasted ten times longer than any other player's just due to controlling all their followers.

4E put Leadership, cohorts, and followers where they belong... in the hands of the DM. They get to determine rates for hirelings, and what other heroes might be willing to accompany you on your adventures and whether or not they get to be run by players at the table or by the DM exclusively. From my experience, way too many DM's forgot that Leadership was an OPTIONAL feat in 3E... allowed only on the DM's approval.

The only way I'd want it back at all is if it were conforming to the same design philosophy that animal companions, mounts, familiars, summoned creatures, etc. abide by.
I don't have Arcane Power nor Open Grave, so I had no frame of reference. Still, you have to look at the hit points total for each. They aren't going to last long in a fight, which is why they get the special turns. Still, you have a point on the resources. I've changed the feats so that you are required to pay a gold cost to regain the cohort or minion. Also, I've changed it so that you can only select Leader's Cohort or Posse.

Does this satisfy you?
I don't have Arcane Power nor Open Grave, so I had no frame of reference. Still, you have to look at the hit points total for each.

I did look at the hit point total and that's the problem. No other feat or ritual creates a servant creature that has more than a single hit point (i.e. minions). Only class features and powers offer servants any tougher than a minion.

The Undead Servant ritual creates a non-combatant minion (defenses of 11 and one hit point) able to take only move actions in combat. Familiars can do many things, but combat is not one of them (unless they happen to be channeling one of their master's powers) and require their owner to expend actions to direct them.

While having to pay for your followers is a possible solution, I think 10 gp/level is way too low. Consider that even an allied minion is able to grant you combat advantage against any foe simply by flanking and even a low-level follower should be at least as valuable as a magic item capable of granting combat advantage for a turn as a daily power (especially given that yours return when conditions are met and do not consume a daily item slot via their use in that fashion).

Check out the rules for the Bags of Tricks from "Adventurer's Vault" (p. 183-4) for a guide to pricing a follower such as what you have in mind as a magic item. Bear in mind that these summoned creatures are minions, take minor action of yours for each action it takes, and count as a use of daily magic item power by the character.

Similarly the Figurines of Wonderous Power follow similar rules, though you may spend a healing surge when summoning them to give them temporary hit points equal to your healing surge value.

If you intend Leadership to be a feat it should be balanced around similar feats or rituals (which create non-combat minions). If you intend the followers to be purchasible I'd look at the prices for the Figurines and Bag of Tricks, as well as the value of various mounts in determining prices (an Elephant; a level 8 brute; costs 3400 gp for example).

Regardless, I think to keep with the current rule structure, any combat capable follower should require the expenditure of a minor action for each action they take in combat (this isn't a problem for non-combatant followers whose actions in combat will be move actions to stay out of the way). Any form of follower who is capable of performing combat actions without using at least a minor action from the player to accomplish it runs 180 degrees out of phase with the 4E design paradigm which has been 100% consistant across mounts, summoned creatures, familiars, and similar beings.
Look, I don't have any of the supplements you are referencing. If you don't like how I make the "Leadership" feats, then fine. You can always make your own.

So, does anyone have any more material they wish to have converted?

If you need a book to tell you how to role play, then maybe this isn't the game for you. I always saw that 4e facilitated RP moreso than 3.x because it didn't have unnecessary and arbitrary mechanical requirements to play the character you want.

Also. Templates made for PCs. :o
Homebrew classes: Guerrilla, Airbender, Earthbender, Firebender, and Waterbender. (PHASE 2 BEGINS! Tell us how we could make these classes better. The Shadow power source done right.
I'm sorry, but I never stated that I needed a book to roleplay. The TC asked in the topic title if I missed something from 3/3.5e, and I answered honestly. And, I beg to differ with you: 4e killed the RP factor of D&D, at least for me.
Explosive Runes

Wish
Resident generic resident.
Explosive Runes

Wish

Explosive Runes are pretty easy. It would be a fairly simple ritual. How about something like this:

Explosive Runes
You scribe a set of glowing mystic runes onto an object or a location, imbuing them with magical power. Once you finish the runes fade from ordinary sight.

Level: 4 Component Cost: 100 gp
Category: Warding Market Price: 150 gp
Time: 10 minutes Key Skill: Arcana
Duration: Permanent

You trace a set of mystic runes onto an object or a specific square of ground.
When you cast the ritual you must describe the conditions under which the runes will be triggered. These conditions must pertain to the item or location where the runes are placed. They can be any simple set of conditions such as when an item is opened, when the runes are read, when a creature sets foot in the square, etc. The triggering conditions may also specify negative conditions of the following types:

1) A password which may be spoken in order to prevent the runes from triggering. This password must be spoken within 5 squares of the warded location and will disarm the runes for 1 minute.

2) A list of up to 10 individuals who will not trigger the runes.

3) Descriptions of specific categories of creatures which will not trigger the runes. The description must be based on specific observable traits such as species, type, size, clothing, etc.

In addition to specifying the trigger conditions the caster must select a damage type keyword. All damage done by the runes when triggered will have this keyword.

The runes effectively constitute a magical trap. They may be noticed by making an Arcana check and overcoming the caster's ritual casting success roll. If the roll is overcome by 5 or more then the damage type of the runes will be known. If the check is overcome by 10 or more then the triggering conditions are known, but any password etc will not be specifically known, only that such a condition exists.

Disarming the runes can also be accomplished with an Arcana check which overcomes the caster's ritual casting success roll by 3 or more. A thievery check may also be used with a -5 to the roll unless the thief is also trained in arcana.

When triggered explosive runes do damage as follows:
Ritual success roll Damage Area
1-9 none (ritual fails) N/A
10-15 1d6+3 warded square
16-20 2d6+3 burst 1
21-30 3d6+3 burst 2
31-50 4d6+3 burst 3
51+ 5d6+3 burst 4

In addition the runes will have a secondary effect depending on the damage keyword chosen.

Keyword Effect
Air dazed (save ends)
Earth immobilized (save ends)
Fire 5 ongoing fire damage (save ends)
Water slowed (save ends)
Lightning 5 lightning damage
Thunder Deafened and 3 thunder damage
Poison 5 ongoing poison damage (save ends)
Force Prone and 3 force damage
Necrotic Weakened (save ends)
Radiant Blinded (save ends)

Naturally you may want to tweak all of this, it could be made more elaborate, but I think the general basic mechanics are reasonable.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
Wish... feh, not going there. Who actually needs rules for wishes? They are just absolute DM fiat. They are also beyond the power level of even 30th level PCs to demand. I would suggest a quest to find an artifact and only then perhaps grant a wish, within reason. It doesn't need a game mechanic and it never worked well to start with.
Well, along the lines of wish, here is a sort of randomized wish a few guys I know came up with(it's a feat, but look closer):

Randomness(paragon tier?)
Benefit: Once per encounter, you may choose to expend a power,but not receive its benefit. Instead, choose 4 powers of the same level and type of power(for example, you expend a lvl 1 daily power, you choose lvl 1 daily powers). You can not have already known these powers, and they need not be chosen from your class. Assign each power a number(1-4), then roll a d6.
Here's what you do if you roll:
1-4: You instead use the power you assigned to the number rolled
5: Your DM selects one of the powers you chose, but choses the target. This target can be anyone, even if the normal target of the power would be yourself.
6: Nothing happens.

Does this satisfy?
Explosive Runes
You scribe a set of glowing mystic runes onto an object or a location, imbuing them with magical power. Once you finish the runes fade from ordinary sight.

Level: 4 Component Cost: 100 gp
Category: Warding Market Price: 150 gp
Time: 10 minutes
Key Skill: Arcana
Duration: Permanent

The biggest concern I have here is that even the 3E version of Explosive Runes did not have a duration of permanent. They had a duration of "Until Discharged" (which is also a duration used by some 4E Rituals). Permanent implies it can be triggered multiple times.

My second concern is that while certain conditions may keep a ritual from being completed, they never fail due to a poor Ritual check (a skill boosted by a ritual may still fail, but the ritual doesn't fail to provide it's bonus). The standard results tables from the PHB pretty much lay out that a 19 or less produces the weakest effect, 20-29 produces a moderate effect, 30-39 a strong effect, and a 40 or better gives the best result.

Similarly, the 3E version of explosive runes had a 10 foot radius which would translate in 4E to a close burst 1 (certainly not a close burst 4). The damage to those not directly reading the runes could also be reduced or avoided with a reflex save, which also suggests that in converting it to 4E there should be an attack roll versus Reflex to determine whether the runes inflict damage.

Perhaps the damage should be a fixed amount; ongoing 5 fire (save ends) per tier of the caster (so epic explosive runes would be ongoing 15 fire) would probably be appropriate; and the ritualist's Arcana check instead serves as the attack roll against a target's Reflex defense. Obviously, the higher damage versions would need to use more expensive ritual components (rather like Raise Dead does) to maintain game balance. I'd suggest that the price be 800 gp for paragon tier and 21,000 gp for epic tier (making them the equivalent to level 14 and 24 level alchemical items in terms of price).

Who actually needs rules for wishes? They are just absolute DM fiat. They are also beyond the power level of even 30th level PCs to demand.

Pretty much my feelings as well. Anything capable of providing anyone their deepest wish should probably be a McGuffin in an ongroing story rather than just a spell any wizard might know.

Indeed, a better term for most uses of Wish/Miracle in 3E would probably be "True Anyspell" in that most of its uses involved duplicating some spell the character didn't normally have (just as the Lesser and Greater Anyspells did, only it could duplicate even other 9th level spells).

An "Anyspell" ritual might actually have merit as a 4E Ritual. For a given price the caster may replace any power they know with another power of a similar type and lower level of any class, using the ability score of their choice instead of the power's normal ability to determine success when the power is used.

The ritual would last until the replaced power was discharged, whereupon the PC would regain their normal power the next time they take the appropriate type of rest to regain that power and a seperate price depending on whether an Encounter or Daily power was replaced would probably make balancing the ritual a bit easier.
I miss skill ranks, but like the new format of skill challenges, as well as the new skill list (with the sole exception of stealing Escape Grab and Escape Restraints from Acrobatics and Pick Pocket and Sleight of Hand from Thievery and putting them in a new skill called Legerdemain. Overall agility is different from manual dexterity is different from mechanical adroitness). Can you recommend a way to scale DCs of skill checks to use the 4e skill challenge with the 3.x method of gaining skills? Also, can you recommend how many skill ranks each class should have?

Thanks.

How much you want to pay them would be up to you and the GM, but they talk about how to do this in the mount section. If you add additional, functional NPCs to your party, the DM just adds however much XP your ally is worth to the encounter XP budgets from then on. You could have anything from Kobold Minions to Pit Fiends tagging along, and wouldn't suck up any magic items either.
I am currently missing

Dimensional Anchor.

I think it would go well as a higher level ritual, but lacking access to anything other than the three core 4.0 books, I am at a loss as to how to create it.
When your opponent says "whatever" you have won
I miss skill ranks, but like the new format of skill challenges [...]. Can you recommend a way to scale DCs of skill checks to use the 4e skill challenge with the 3.x method of gaining skills? Also, can you recommend how many skill ranks each class should have?

Thanks.

Hmmm. There are actually quite a few ways to get small bonuses to various skills in 4e, but I presume you mean you don't like the fairly hefty +5 trained skill bonus? There are a few ways to create some additional level of flexibility. For example you can certainly use a background to give a skill bonus focused on some specific use of a given skill, like say +4 to swim checks or lock picking.

The real issue is that a feat is a fairly decent amount of character resources. So it really needs to give a pretty hefty bonus to be worth that cost. You could reasonably allow characters to split up their +5 amongst several skills. I don't see that as being a problem.
For the Dimensional Anchor, I would recommend you look at the Dimensional Shackles Ritual.

With Skill Ranks, here's what me and my group do: You gain a +1 to a skill you choose every 2 levels. That works, right?

Also, any more requests?
I'd like to see some stats for Kender.

Vessel
Prerequisites: Int 13, Con 13
Benefits: You gain a +1 to Int, and you may use Int in place of Con or Str when making checks.

No feat gives a bonus to a stat, so this needs to be changed.
I'd like to see some stats for Kender.

Why in God's name would you do this?
Why in God's name would you do this?

Kender rule
Kender rule

I'm pretty sure this violates a fundamental law of reality, and common sense.
I'm pretty sure this violates a fundamental law of reality, and common sense.

Doesn't being able to spontaneously create balls of fire out of nothing also violate these?
For the Dimensional Anchor, I would recommend you look at the Dimensional Shackles Ritual.

Where do you find this? it's not in the PH1, I only have the core books.
When your opponent says "whatever" you have won
For kender, just use halfling. They've got the resistance to fear, and the racial power tha epitomizes luck. What else do you need?

http://community.wizards.com/play-by-post_haven The Play-by-Post recruitment hub for the forums. Stop by, join us, and sign up for some games while you are there

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
Aren't you aware that Kender have the racial ability to irritate EVERYONE, both in-game and out-of-game, instantaneously?

Concerning Leadership: Stop trying to get more actions in combat.

Concerning "missing roleplaying": :headexplo

I have quite a few requests! All Uberon Awesomeness!

Thunder Guide: Explorer's Handbook, 64. It's like a class distilled into sweet, sweet Pulp action!

Order of Rekkenmark: Five Nations, 106. It's an affiliation. Just not sure how the changes would differ from 3.5 to 4.

Eldeen Ranger: Eberron Campaign Setting (3.5), 74. It's a nice, Rangery PrC.

Extreme Explorer: Ibid, 79. It's.....extreme.

Longstride Shifters: Ibid, 18-20. I was disappointed that they didn't have them, because I was also a huge fan of....
Reachrunner: Races of Eberron, 153. Speed kills.

The last one is a challenge, but it's also one of the most beautiful PrCs I've seen: the Argent Fist (Faiths of Eberron, 70). The Monk hasn't come out yet, fully, so you have your work cut out for you.

Gold is for the mistress, silver for the maid

Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.

"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,

"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all." -Kipling

Miss d20 Modern? Take a look at Dias Ex Machina Game's UltraModern 4e!

57019168 wrote:
I am a hero, not a chump.
Sign In to post comments