Homebrewing some Shadow classes; anyone willing to help?

317 posts / 0 new
Last post
For quite some time now, I've had the inspiration for three seperate "Necromantic" classes bubbling around my head. Seeing as how Shadow has been pushed back to the PHB4, at the very least, I was thinking that it's time I actually tried to put my money where my mouth is and see if I have any grounds for thinking that these theoretical classes could actually work in 4th edition.

However, I'm rather a newbie to the art of creating classes, so I was wondering if anyone else would like to help me brainstorm in order to determine whether or not my ideas are valid? I'm not intending to work on all three at once, I fully understand that that way lies madness, but I've included the fluff for all three here in order to determine which one should first be tackled.

Necromancer
The Necromancer is a mage of the Shadow, who studies the dark and forbidden lores of the Shadowfell and how its energy interacts with death and the dead. Necromancers are masters of the undead and the death-born, calling upon dead flesh, bare bones, long-departed spirits and the spectral echoes of destruction and carnage to do their bidding. With these dark allies at their beck and call, Necromancers dominate the battlefield and drive their enemies to destruction. Though an inherently sinister and fearful art, the Necromancer is not inherently evil, though they will never truly walk in the Light.
Likely Role: Controller- like the Summoner Wizard, Necromancers use their powers to intercept enemies and keep them at bay.
Likely Stats: Intelligence as the Primary, as Necromancers study dark lore and forbidden secrets to acquire their power. Charisma and/or Wisdom are the most likely Secondaries.
Theme: Conjuration and Summoning powers, backed with "Invocations" (powers themed as temporarily summoning something from the Shadowfell into the Materium)

Thanatomancer
The Thanatomancer is a cousin to the Necromancer, and the two are often confused. The difference, however, is as distinct as it can be subtle; while Necromancers are masters of the undead, Thanatomancers are masters of death. Through an innate connection to the Shadowfell, Thanatomancers are able to draw upon and unleash the energies of death, decay and corruption, allowing them to afflict foes in all manner of ways. A Thanatomancer has no ability to call shrieking ghosts from beyond, or command the dead to rise from their tombs, but can wither foes with the chill of the grave, ignite the blood in their veins, drain their life with bolts of unearthly darkness, command swarms of vermin to devour their flesh and unleash rains of disease-laden filth.
Likely Role: Controller or Striker- the Thanatomancer is fundamentally a Shadow Sorcerer, compared to the Necromancer's Shadow Wizard.
Likely Stats: Constitution as the Primary, with Charisma as the Secondary.
Likely Damage Types: Necrotic, Cold, Poison
Likely Class Feature: ability to penetrate Necrotic Resistance, like how Sorcerers can ignore specific damage resistances

Baneblade
The final branch of the necromantic tree, Baneblades are Shadow warrior-wizards who mingle dark occultic lore with weapon techniques for offensive and defensive purposes. They learn how to weave webs of Shadow energy about themselves into potent curses to protect themselves from foes, but also learn how to use their weapons as a conduit for this dark power, assaulting enemies physically, mentally and spiritually. The simplest use of this power is to leech the strength, vitality or even the very soul from their prey, but there are other applications as well. A Baneblade can leave a wound festering with disease, or writhing with flesh-eating maggots. They can feed upon the energy they steal, growing stronger as their enemy weakens. Bones become brittle, muscles slacken and blood freezes in the veins of their foe. Some Baneblades even call upon the lingering remnants of past victims to assail their foes.
Likely Role: Defender
Likely Stats: Intelligence and Strength as Primaries, Constitution or Charisma as Secondaries
Likely Weapons: Heavy Blades, Axes, Polearms
Likely Paragon Path: Shadow Legionaire ("My name is Legion. For We are Many.")
Good luck dude. I myself love the idea of shadow based powers, and if I had the willpower I'd try to make classes.

I'd base'em off 3rd edition shadow-like classes.

Shadowcaster (Too obvious a name, but was a decent class)

Dread Necromancer (Sounds cooler then just plain necromancer)

Deathknight (Yes, it's World of Warcraft. And D&D gets compared to WoW enough. But it could be good like this homebrew 3rd edition class)
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Death_Knight_%28DnD_Class%29

Hexblade (It was an interesting concept but sucked in 3rd edition)

Binder (This was an awesome class)
Thanks for the support. I've got ideas, I just lack experience, and I work better if I've got partners to bounce ideas back and forth and to help polish the finished material into balanced work.
So, is noone interested in giving me a hand with this project?
Edit: This will be the place for the Reaver class.

Reaver
Class Traits
Role: Striker
Power Source: Shadow.
Key Abilities: Strength, Intelligence, Charisma

Armor Proficiencies: Cloth, Leather, Hide, Chainmail, Scale
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple Melee, Military Melee, Simple Ranged
Implements: Any Axe, Hammer, Heavy Blade, or Spear. Your weapon adds its enhancement bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls and any extra damage granted by a property (if applicable) when used as an implement. You do not gain your weapon proficiency bonus to the attack roll when using your weapon as an implement.
Bonus to Defense: +1 Fortitude, +1 Will

Hit points at 1st Level: 15 + Constitution Score
Hit points per level gained: 6
Healing Surges per Day: 8 + Constitution modifier

Trained Skills: From the class list below, choose four trained skills at 1st level. Class skills; Arcana (Int), Athletics (Str), Bluff (Cha), Endurance (Con), Intimidate (Cha), Religion (Int), Stealth (Dex), Streetwise (Cha), Thievery (Dex).

Build Options:
Class Features:Backlash Hex, Curse of Vulnerability, Dark Armory, Way of the Blade.

Reaver Class Features:

Backlash Hex: You gain the Backlash Hex power.

Curse of Vulnerability You gain the Curse of Vulnerability power

Dark Armor:When wearing any type of armor you can add half of its enhancement bonus (rounded up) as an Item bonus to your speed. In addition you can use powers with the Armor keyword.

The Armor keyword is a new keyword for powers. The Armor keyword requires the character to have armor equipped. Some Armor keyword powers require specific types of armor to be equipped, and that would be listed in the powers description. When using a power with the Armor keyword you can add the armors enhancement bonus to the attack rolls and the damage rolls of the attack.

Way of the Blade:
Way of the Baneblade: You make the following changes to these powers.
Backlash Hex:You gain a +1 to the attack roll with this power if you choose to deal Necrotic damage with the power. You deal additional +3 damage when you use this power. This additional damage increases to +6 at 11th level and to +9 at 21st level.
Curse of Vulnerability:When you expend this power you deal damage equal to you Backlash Hex + your Cha modifier to the target.

Way of the Hexblade: You make the following changes to these powers.
Backlash Hex:You gain a +1 to the attack roll with this power if you choose to deal Psychic damage with the power. When you use this power the target takes a -2 penalty to a defense of your choice until the end of your next turn.
Curse of Vulnerability:When you expend this power, the target takes a penalty to saving throws equal to half your Cha modifier (rounded down) (save -3 ends). Only one creature may be affected by your expended Curse of Vulnerability at a time

Way of the Bladethief: You make the following changes to these powers.
Backlash Hex:You gain a +1 to the attack roll with this power if you choose to deal Psychic damage with the power. You can score a critical hit with this power on an 18, 19 or 20
Curse of Vulnerability:When you expend this power the foe takes a 1d6 penalty to attack rolls (save ends).

Way of the Mournblade: You make the following changes to these powers.
Backlash Hex:You gain a +1 to the attack roll with this power if you choose to deal Poison damage with the power. When you use this power it ignores up to 5 + ½ your level Poison resistance. If a creature is immune to poison damage, treat the creature as having poison resistance 30.
Curse of Vulnerability:When you expend this power the target takes ongoing 5+ Int modifier poison damage (save ends).

Reaver Powers
Class Feature Powers

[deck=Curse of Vulnerability]Blah blah blah
At-Will Shadow, Necrotic, Poison, Psychic
Minor Action Range 10
Target: One creature within range
Effect: The target gains vulnerability 5 against one of the following damage types, Necrotic, Poison, or Psychic. This lasts until the end of the encounter. Against foes with resistance, reduce the resistance by this amount. This has no effect on foes immune to that damage type.
Level 11: increases to vulnerability 10
Level 21: increases to vulnerability 15
Special: As a standard action you may expend this curse to trigger the effect listed under the Way of the Blade feature. When expended the vulnerability caused by this power expires. Once expended, you cannot use this power against the triggered target for the remainder of the encounter.
[/deck]

Reaver At-Wills

[Deck=Thirsty Blade]
As you plunge your blade into living flesh, it sucks the vital fluids that flow forth from the death blow, infusing you with fresh strength.
At-will, Shadow, Weapon, Necrotic, Healing
Standard Action, Melee Weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Str vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Str modifier Necrotic damage
Effect: If the target is reduced to 0 hit points you can heal a number of hit points equal to your Cha modifier.
Level 21: Increase to 2[W] [/Deck]

[Deck=Poisoned Strike]
You quickly strike your foe with a blade deadlier than most, and with luck your foes will find them weakened by your venom.
At-will, Shadow, Weapon, Poison
Attack: Str vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1[W] + Str modifier Poison damage
Effect: If you roll a critical hit with this attack the target takes on-going Poison damage equal to your Int modifier (Save ends).

[Deck=Cloak of Night]
A cloak of darkness covers you in protection. Within its shadows, horrid hands lash out shrouding you from your foes.
At-will, Shadow, Armor, Psychic
Standard Action, Close Burst 1
Target: Each creature in burst
Attack: Str vs. Will
Hit: 1d6 + Int modifier Psychic damage
Effect: You gain concealment against the target until the beginning of your next turn.
Special: Caster must be wearing Light Armor
Level 21: Increase to 2d6 [/Deck]

[Deck=Biting Curses]
Baneful hexes woven into your armor spring to life, a thousand tiny mouths snapping and rending at flesh.
At-will, Shadow, Armor, Necrotic
Target: One or Two creatures within the Burst
Attack: Str vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d8 + Cha modifier damage
Effect: Targets hit by this power that end their turn adjacent to the caster takes Cha modifier Necrotic damage.
Special: Caster must be wearing Heavy Armor
Level 21: Increase to 2d8+Cha[/Deck]

[Deck=Shadow Slash]
Darkness veils your enemy's eyes and dulls their senses, clearing only when the pain of your strike registers. When they can see again, you have moved elsewhere.
At-will, Shadow, Weapon, Psychic
Hit: 1[W] + Str modifier Psychic damage
Effect: After the attack you can shift a number of squares equal to you Int modifier.

[Deck=Psycho Cut]
You lash out with your blade, not to hit your foes heart, but to strike at your foes mind and leave it open for mental assaults
At-will, Shadow, Weapon, Psychic
Hit: 1[W] + Str modifier Psychic damage
Effect: The target takes a penalty to its will defense equal to your half Cha modifier (rounded up) until the end of your next turn.

Level 1 Encounter Powers

[Deck=Shadow web]
You ensnare a foe with strands of silken darkness, and then pull them into reach of your weapon.
Encounter, Shadow, Weapon, Force
Standard Action, close burst 5
Target: One creature in burst
Hit: You pull the target a number of squares equal to your Str modifier and you deal 1[W] + Str modifier Force damage [/Deck]

[Deck=Writhing Wound]
Where your weapon inflicts damage, ravenous maggots gestate within the wound, gnawing hungrily.
Encounter, Shadow, Weapon, Poison
Hit: you deal 1[W] + Str modifier Poison damage and the target takes a -2 penalty to its Fortitude defense until the end of your next turn.
Mournblade: The penalty equals 1+ half your Int modifier (rounded up). [/Deck]

[Deck=Word of Pain]
You spit a curse that wracks a foe in torment.
Encounter, Shadow, Implement, Psychic
Standard Action, Range 5
Hit: you deal 1[W] + Str modifier Psychic damage and the target takes a -2 penalty to its attack rolls until the end of your next turn.
Hexblade: The penalty equals 1+ half your Cha modifier (rounded up). [/Deck]

[Deck=Dark flame Blade]
Your weapon wreathes itself in dark fire that consumes enemies bodies and soul.
Encounter, Shadow, Weapon, Necrotic, Fire
Hit: you deal 2[W] + Str modifier Necrotic and Fire damage
Baneblade: Until the end of your next turn you deal additional Fire damage equal to your Cha modifier with Weapon Attack powers. This bonus to damage is included with this attack. [/Deck]

[Deck=Shadow Assailant]
You land a shadow infused blow, implanting a ghastly illusion in your foes mind that leaves it open for another attack.
Encounter, Shadow, Weapon, Psychic, Illusion
Attack: STR vs. Will
Hit: you deal 1[W] + Str modifier Psychic
Effect: If the target is struck by the initial attack make the secondary attack
Secondary Target: Initial target
Secondary Attack: Str vs. Reflex
Hit: you deal 1[W] + Str modifier Psychic
Bladethief: You gain a bonus to the second attack roll equal to half your Int modifier (round down) [/Deck]

[Deck=Armor of Souls]
you absorb parts of the souls of your enemies to fuel newfound powers in your armor
Encounter, Shadow, Armor, Necrotic
Standard Action, Close burst 2
Target: Each enemy in burst
Hit: you deal 2d6 + Str modifier Necrotic damage
Special: If you are wearing Heavy armor you gain a +2 bonus to Fortitude defense. If you are wearing Light armor you gain a +2 bonus to Reflex defense. [/Deck]

Level 1 Daily Powers
[deck=Barbed Hide] Reaver 1 Daily Attack Power
Boney protrusions fire out from your skin, spilling blood on the ground that you readily pull into yourself.
Daily, Shadow - Armor, Implement
Target: All creatures in burst.
Attack: Str vs Ref
Hit: 2d6+Str damage and you gain 5+Int temporary hit points.
Miss: Half damage and you gain Int temporary hit points.
Special: If you are wearing Scalemail, the target takes on-going 3 damage (save ends).[/deck]

[deck=Deathly Coils] Reaver 1 Daily Attack Power
Serpentine coils slither out from you, chewing at your foe and tying them down.
Daily, Shadow - Necrotic, Armor, Implement
Standard Action, Ranged 10
Target: One creature.
Attack: Str vs Will
Hit: 2d8+Cha Necrotic Damage and Immobilised (save ends).
Miss: Half damage and slowed until the beginning of your next turn.
Special: If you are wearing Chainmail, you may slide the target one square at the beginning of each turn (save ends both).[/deck]

[deck=Cerberus's Bite]Reaver 1 Daily Attack Power
The great three-headed dog lashes out through your ties to the afterlife.
Daily, Shadow - Armor, Weapon
Target: Up to Three Creatures.
Special: You make three attacks, dividing them amongst your targets as desired.
Hit: 1[W]+Str damage.
Special: If you are wearing Hide and you miss with all attacks, the attack is not expended.[/deck]

[deck=Beshadow]Reaver 1 Daily Attack Power
An inky haze spills from your enemy's wound, roiling back over you with inky darkness.
Daily, Shadow - Poison, Armor, Weapon
Target: One Creature
Hit: 2[W]+Str damage and you gain concealement against the target (save ends)
Miss: Half damage and you gain concealement against the target until the end of your next turn.
Special: If you are wearing Leather, the target grants you combat advantage (save ends both).[/deck]

[deck=Visions of Nightmare]Reaver 1 Daily Attack Power
Eerily descriptive words roil across your armor, burning torments of the afterlife on a foe's mind.
Daily, Shadow - Psychic, Armor, Implement, Charm
Standard Action, Close Burst 5
Target: One Creature within the Burst.
Hit: 2d6+Cha damage and Dazed until the beginning of your next round.
Miss: Half damage.
Special: If you are wearing Cloth or Plate, until the end of the encounter, any enemy that moves adjacent to you takes Cha mod Psychic Damage.[/deck]

Powers done by Johnathan Vagabond

Level 2 Utility

[Deck=Shout of Black Speech]
You shout words of a forbidden language that fill the ears of your foes, each understanding that you are a harbinger of destruction
Daily, Shadow
Minor Action, Close burst 3
Effect: You can make an Intimidate check against each target within the burst. Intimidate checks made with this power do not take the penalty if you don’t speak the language the target can understand. Creatures that have been success fully Intimidated take a -2 to attack rolls against you until the end of the encounter. [/Deck]

[Deck=Follow the Cursed]
As long as your curse remains strong, the foe can’t out run your onslaught.
Encounter, Shadow
Immediate Reaction, Range 10
Trigger: A creature within range under the effect of your Curse of Vulnerability moves away.
Target: The triggering creature
Effect: You can teleport to a square adjacent to the triggering creature [/Deck]

[Deck=Reckless Fate]
You spin a bit of black magic into the fate of your next attack, but the price of this could be dire.
Encounter, Shadow
Free action, Personal
Trigger: You make an attack roll you dislike
Effect: You Re-roll the attack roll and gain a +2 bonus to the attack. You grant combat advantage to foes until the beginning of your next turn. [/Deck]

[Deck=Armor of Curses]
You spit a slew of hexes to form an armor of curses that plagues those who strike at you.
Daily, Shadow
Minor Action, Personal
Effect: Until the end of your next turn any foe that attacks you gains the Curse of Vulnerability. [/Deck]

Level 3 Encounter Powers

[Deck=Weight of Sins]
You curse a foe to feel the weight of all the crimes and sins it has committed, slowing it down for every soul it has taken.
Encounter, Shadow, Weapon, Psychic
Hit: 2[W] + Str modifier Necrotic damage and the target is slowed until the end of your next turn.
Hexblade: The target is Immobilized until the end of your next turn. [/Deck]

[Deck=Noxious Onslaught]
poisonous pus oozes from your weapon, leaving your foes infections in their wounds.
Encounter, Shadow, Weapon, Poison
Standard Action, Close burst 1
Hit: you deal 1[W] + Str modifier Poison damage and the target ongoing 5 Poison damage (Save ends)
Mournblade: You deal an additional amount of damage equal to your Int modifier [/Deck]

[Deck=Burry into the Grave]
You strike your foe with a mighty blow to make sure they never rise again, its demise inspires you to fill the graveyard further.
Encounter, Shadow, Weapon, Necrotic
Hit: you deal 2[W] + Str modifier Necrotic damage and you knock the target prone
Effect: If the target is reduced to 0 hit points you gain a +2 to attack rolls until the end of your next turn.
Baneblade: If the target is bloodied you gain a +2 to attack rolls until the end of your next turn. [/Deck]

[Deck=Strike from the Illusion]
A foe finds itself striking an illusion, while you find yourself striking your foe.
Encounter, Shadow, Weapon, Psychic, Illusion, Teleportation
Immediate Interrupt, Close burst 5
Trigger: A Creature within the burst attacks you
Target: The creature that triggered this power.
Special: You teleport to an unoccupied square adjacent to the creature.
Attack: STR vs. Reflex
Hit: you deal 2[W] + Str modifier Psychic damage
Bladethief: If you miss with this attack you do not expend the power. [/Deck]

[Deck=Armor of the Black Tar]
Your armor spews a black tar that coats you and your foes.
Encounter, Shadow, Armor, Necrotic
Standard Action, Close burst 2
Hit: you deal 2d8 + Str modifier Necrotic damage
Effect: Until the end of your next turn any creature that attacks you takes 5 ongoing Necrotic damage (save ends)
Special: If the caster is wearing Heavy armor you may reduce forced movement by a number of squares equal to you Str modifier [/Deck]

Level 5 Daily Powers

[Deck=Wailing Shroud]
Vestigial faces, the shattered remnants of your many victims, begin to swim across your armor, howling, screaming, crying, begging. The hideous cacophony drives away those who would dare to oppose you.
Daily, Shadow, Armor, Stance, Psychic
Standard Action, close burst 1
Hit: 2d8 + Str modifier Psychic damage and the target is pushed 2 squares.
Effect: You enter into a stance of the Wailing Shroud. At the start of each of your turns, each enemy adjacent to you can be pushed 1 squares as a free action.[/Deck]

[Deck=Teeth below]
Hidden jaws latch onto your foe from its shadow, engulfing its feet injecting it with a deadly poison that prevents it from moving.
Daily, Shadow, Implement, Poison
Standard Action, Range 5
Hit: you deal 3d8 + Str modifier Poison damage and the target is immobilized (Save ends).[/Deck]

[Deck=Blinding Curse]
Your words take on shadowy forms, all wings and barbs, and envelop your victim's face. Clawing at the gouging, tearing mass, they stagger blindly into your ambush.
Daily, Shadow, Implement, Psychic
Standard Action, Range 5
Hit: you deal 2d8 + Str modifier Psychic damage and the target is Blinded until the end of your next turn
Sustain Minor: The condition persists.[/Deck]

[Deck=Lashing Blade]
Your weapon extends, flailing like some demonic tongue desperate for the quenching flow of blood.
Daily, Shadow, Weapon, Necrotic, Stance
Standard Action, Close Burst 5
Target: One creature within burst
Hit: you deal 3[W] + Str modifier Necrotic damage
Effect: You enter into a stance of the Lashing Blade. As long as the stance is active you increase your melee reach by 1 square.[/Deck]

[Deck=Wraith Thorns]
Ethereal barbs sprout from your weapon, each one the tooth of a soul-fragment bound to your will. Should you strike your foe hard enough; a fang will break off in the wound, that vestigial soul assailing your enemy's very mind.
Daily, Shadow, Weapon, Psychic
Attack: STR vs. AC
Hit: you deal 2[W] + Str modifier Psychic damage
Effect: If the target is struck by the initial attack make the secondary attack
Secondary Attack: Str vs. Will
Hit: you deal 1[W] + Str modifier Psychic and the target takes ongoing 5 Psychic damage.[/Deck]

Level 6 Utility Powers

[Deck=Blood Blade]
you sacrifice a bit of health to add a deadly coat of necrotic energy to your blade
Encounter, Shadow, Necrotic
Minor Action, Personal
Effect: You spend a healing surge, until the end of your next turn your attacks gain the Necrotic keyword. Attacks made while under this effect deal an extra 3 points of damage, this extra damage increases to 6 at paragon tier and 9 at epic tier. [/Deck]

[Deck=Backlash Fury]
you channel you anger in your Backlash Hex, making it a curse to be reckoned with.
Encounter, Shadow
Minor Action, Personal
Effect: Until the end of your next turn you’re your Backlash Hex deals extra damage equal to 1 + either your Int or Cha modifier. [/Deck]

[Deck=Illusionary Coating]
You blade swirls and fades into an illusionary realm to strike your foes mind
Encounter, Shadow, Illusion
Free Action, Personal
Effect: Your next attack strikes the Will defense of the creature instead of the normal defense. If the attack already targets the Will defense you gain a +2 to the attack. [/Deck]

[Deck=Shroud of Vile]
a veil of vile poison seeps from your armor, making your foes think twice before attacking you.
Encounter, Shadow, Poison
Minor Action, Personal
Effect: Until the end of your next turn you’re you are hit by melee attacks the attacker takes ongoing 5 Poison damage (save ends) [/Deck]
Thanks ShadowGuard, I appreciate it. So, is there a particular one of the three classes I suggested in the OP that grabs your attention? I figured that, if this project got off the ground, we'd tackle them one by one before figuring out other classes that might stem from the Shadow source. I've mentioned elsewhere that I think the Illusionist would work as the Shadow Leader, but I've always had more of a soft spot for the "necromantic" aspects of Shadow than the "nyctomantic" (illusion and phantasm) aspects.
I think that the Necromancer is the corner stone of the shadow power source and it should be the first to be addressed. I like your ideas, and I can agree that the necromantic field is a great place to start off with the Shadow power source. I have a question, do you have Open Grave? If you do that would be great, because all my undead options are really in the MM. I’m sure there are plenty of undead ideas in that book that would make for great “summoning” fodder for the Necromancer. I agree that in first glance that the Necromancer should be a controller. The role is easy enough to establish but there is something I want to talk about first before we get into stats.

The thanatomancer, I like the concept of the class but I have to question on whether or not it can stand alone as a class. You wrote down a lot of good flavor, but it seems more like a Necromancer build option. The divide between the two classes seem to leave the other lacking in options. If you think the Thanatomancer has enough to stand on its own, then I am all for making as many classes as you want to.

Now back to the necromancer, if we do fold them together than the stats would be easy to plan out. Intelligence should be the primary for the class, Con should be the focus of Thanatomancers for controlling death and life forces, while Cha should be for having the will power to sway the dead back to life.

Oh and your Baneblade idea is cool, and I think I could work as a class on its own.
Yes, I have Open Grave- I have all of the non-adventure sourcebooks that have been released so far, though Eberron Player's Guide won't be here until next month (and ECG and Divine Power the month after that, presumably).

Just to go off topic for a second, do you think we could make it work if our Necromancer not only summoned "canon" undead, but could also call "death echoes"? Basically, by reaching into the Shadowfell, the Necromancer can summon a kind of "death memory", a particular resonance/flavor/whatever you want to call it of Shadowfell energy, which can then be sculpted into physical form to create a servitor, a living (so to speak) embodiment of that death? I got the idea from the Suffering; the enemies you fight there are material embodiments of death by various means (slashing weapons, firing squad, drowning/being eaten alive by rats, poison, electrocution, lethal injection).

Similarly, what about Golems? I'm pretty sure there are a few cases where creating "false life" is also attributed to Necromancers... I mean, you have Diablo's Necromancer, who can summon Clay, Metal, Blood and Fire golems, or even D&D's own Flesh and Bone golems.

I'll admit that the Thanatomancer, traditionally, is rolled into the Necromancer, but I think it might just be able to stand on its own. If you consider Thanatomancer to focus on the magic of death and how it interacts with the living world (which actually has an existing 4e incarnation, in the form of the Flesh Cults of Open Grave), and Necromancy on warping the boundaries between life and death, then I think that gives them room enough to stand on their own. I'll admit that they could be joined together, but I feel that would just be a repeat of "Druid Syndrome", where you have a class that feels like it could be split in half... so, really, I'd prefer to try and make them as seperate classes first, then roll them into one if that fails.

Hmm... what about dividing the Necromancer into these two builds? The "Phantasmagorist" focuses on the ephemeral side of necromancy, drawing upon spirits and shades, while the "Corruptor" (I suck at names, just so you know) focuses on the physical side, commanding the bones and flesh of the dead. In this case, Intelligence becomes the Primary- as you and I have said, the Necromancer studies dark lore, so it's fundamentally a Shadow Wizard and thus Int makes sense. The Phantasmagorist focuses on Wisdom; tricking, deceiving and otherwise manipulating thinking entities into doing their will. The Corruptor focuses on Charisma; using their sheer force of will to force the dead to move and kill only as they will it.

And I'm glad you like the Baneblade.
Just to go off topic for a second, do you think we could make it work if our Necromancer not only summoned "canon" undead, but could also call "death echoes"? Basically, by reaching into the Shadowfell, the Necromancer can summon a kind of "death memory", a particular resonance/flavor/whatever you want to call it of Shadowfell energy, which can then be sculpted into physical form to create a servitor, a living (so to speak) embodiment of that death? I got the idea from the Suffering; the enemies you fight there are material embodiments of death by various means (slashing weapons, firing squad, drowning/being eaten alive by rats, poison, electrocution, lethal injection).

I love the idea, and could see Phantasmagorist pulling these "death memories" spirits into life to spread dread amongst foes. There was a really cool 3.5 undead from the MM3 called the Drowned that would create a Drowning aura to make foes think they were experiance drowning with out there being any water to drown on. So I am so happy with idea.

Similarly, what about Golems? I'm pretty sure there are a few cases where creating "false life" is also attributed to Necromancers... I mean, you have Diablo's Necromancer, who can summon Clay, Metal, Blood and Fire golems, or even D&D's own Flesh and Bone golems.

Yep, Corrupters should definatly get some Golem lovin so I am good with that idea as well.

I'll admit that the Thanatomancer, traditionally, is rolled into the Necromancer, but I think it might just be able to stand on its own. If you consider Thanatomancer to focus on the magic of death and how it interacts with the living world (which actually has an existing 4e incarnation, in the form of the Flesh Cults of Open Grave), and Necromancy on warping the boundaries between life and death, then I think that gives them room enough to stand on their own. I'll admit that they could be joined together, but I feel that would just be a repeat of "Druid Syndrome", where you have a class that feels like it could be split in half... so, really, I'd prefer to try and make them as seperate classes first, then roll them into one if that fails.

Okay two seperate classes it is. So what will be the big draw to the thanatomancer class?

Hmm... what about dividing the Necromancer into these two builds? The "Phantasmagorist" focuses on the ephemeral side of necromancy, drawing upon spirits and shades, while the "Corruptor" (I suck at names, just so you know) focuses on the physical side, commanding the bones and flesh of the dead. In this case, Intelligence becomes the Primary- as you and I have said, the Necromancer studies dark lore, so it's fundamentally a Shadow Wizard and thus Int makes sense. The Phantasmagorist focuses on Wisdom; tricking, deceiving and otherwise manipulating thinking entities into doing their will. The Corruptor focuses on Charisma; using their sheer force of will to force the dead to move and kill only as they will it.

Don't worry about names, I am not that great at them either so your not alone. I like the concepts for the two intial builds for the Necromancer so I am for it.

And I'm glad you like the Baneblade

Well the main reason I like it is because it can fill the Blackguard/Shadowguard type role well.

I have a little off topic idea to bring up as well. I would like one of the builds of any the classes to be a Grafter. It would be a person who would harvest the dead and fuse themselves with their tainted flesh to become death itself. I like the idea of Polymorph and turning into undead to control foes. It would be Con based and I could see it working as a build for any of the three classes presented.
Hmm... with the "Grafter", perhaps that might make a Paragon Path for the Baneblade? I'm not a hundred percent sure it could be a full class... then again, I did once contemplate a "Deathtouched" class that revolved around the user channeling shadow energy into themself in order to mutate themselves in various ways (growing Ghoul's Claws to rake and poison a foe, or unleashing a Gibbering Scream to Push enemies away in fear), so perhaps best to keep it in the logs- could definately be worth investigating.

Hmm... I'm thinking the Thanatomancer's "schtick" would be either pure damage, status afflictions, or a combination of the two. For example, infecting a foe with a fast-acting plague that can spread to other enemies that get near it, or using a swarm of carnivorous locusts to rend at a victim's face, causing them to stagger around wildly as they try to brush them free. Kind of like a combination between the Sorcerer and the Warlock, if that makes sense. Despite that, I can see the builds. Life-in-Death focuses on using shadow energy to manipulate living creatures, so mysteries like Touch of the Plague, Call the Scavengers and Heart Ripper benefit from this build. Death-in-Life focuses on "death energy", so this build is more for the benefit of mysteries like Breath of the Tombs and Cloud of Night.

Alright then, so, where do we begin for the Necromancer?

::EDIT::
I was just thinking of something and I thought I'd bring it up. It is my opinion, though I can be swayed from it, that the Necromancer's powers will all damage foes *indirectly*. The motif of the Necromancer is that they use their powers to make other beings do their bidding, including to kill- it is the Thanatomancer and the Baneblade that directly strike at their foes with Shadow magic. So all of the powers they have should be fluffed as having revolved around some other entity- the Necromancer merely commanded that entity to do its bidding.

For example, if the Necromancer has an At-Will that does fire damage, then the Necromancer *doesn't* shoot flame itself- it calls forth the remnant of some creature who died in a fire, the blazing shade then embracing the Necromancer's target(s) and searing them as it shares its final moments with them.

Also, for reasons that basically tie into this, I'm thinking that the Corruptor will specialise in Summoning powers (which would be the ones that create corporeal undead and golems), while the Phantasmagorist will specialise in Conjuration powers (which would be the ones that summon death echoes and incorporeal undead).
Hmm... with the "Grafter", perhaps that might make a Paragon Path for the Baneblade? I'm not a hundred percent sure it could be a full class... then again, I did once contemplate a "Deathtouched" class that revolved around the user channeling shadow energy into themself in order to mutate themselves in various ways (growing Ghoul's Claws to rake and poison a foe, or unleashing a Gibbering Scream to Push enemies away in fear), so perhaps best to keep it in the logs- could definately be worth investigating.

Well not a whole class, just a build of one of them. If it doesn’t have enough stuff to fill out a whole build then I would be more than happy to have it as a paragon path for one of the classes.

Hmm... I'm thinking the Thanatomancer's "schtick" would be either pure damage, status afflictions, or a combination of the two. For example, infecting a foe with a fast-acting plague that can spread to other enemies that get near it, or using a swarm of carnivorous locusts to rend at a victim's face, causing them to stagger around wildly as they try to brush them free. Kind of like a combination between the Sorcerer and the Warlock, if that makes sense. Despite that, I can see the builds. Life-in-Death focuses on using shadow energy to manipulate living creatures, so mysteries like Touch of the Plague, Call the Scavengers and Heart Ripper benefit from this build. Death-in-Life focuses on "death energy", so this build is more for the benefit of mysteries like Breath of the Tombs and Cloud of Night.

Okay, now I have a better idea of the direction of the class and I am sold on the two builds.

Alright then, so, where do we begin for the Necromancer? I think I have some ideas for what its powers will be able to do, if you'd like me to detail them.

Sure whenever you want too, post it up I would be more than happy to see what you got. I'll start coming up with stuff as well and see what you think of it.
I actually edited my last post to include my idea before, though I think there was also a "Keywords" bit of data that I missed- namely, that the Necromancer is likely to make use of Ranged Blast spells for its non-"Invocation" spells, as well as Zones, topped with Auras from its minions.
I actually edited my last post to include my idea before, though I think there was also a "Keywords" bit of data that I missed- namely, that the Necromancer is likely to make use of Ranged Blast spells for its non-"Invocation" spells, as well as Zones, topped with Auras from its minions.

Okay I will defiantly keep those thoughts in mind when thinking up of powers. Also how do you want the skeleton of the Necromancer class to be like? How do you want their proficiencies, save bonuses, implements and other stuff like that?
Hmm... let's see... I'm thinking that Simple Melee weapons would probably be the limit of their initial class proficiency; they are a class that focuses on having others do their dirty work and who are supposed to be well away from the enemy anyway, just like the Wizard and the Invoker. Hmm... in fact, given that the Wizard only has Dagger and Quarterstaff proficiency, perhaps the Necromancer only has the Dagger, Sickle and maybe Club and/or Spear proficiencies?

For Impliments, I'm not really sure what to give them. Of the existing ones, I think Quarterstaves (which, if memory serves, actually served as a metaphorical 'bridge between planes' in real world arcane lore) and Rods (symbols of authority and leadership) work best. Maybe we should make a new implement for Necromancers and/or Thanatomancers?

For defense bonuses... I think Will and Fortitude would be appropriate, don't you? They spend much time delving into crypts, tombs and other places of death, so they naturally get exposed to a lot of the nastier toxins and diseases that build up in such places. And communing with the spirits of the dead without going mad or getting their brain sucked out of their head says something about their willpower, doesn't it?

For other details, I'd recommend looking at the Invoker and the Wizard, the two existing range-focused Controllers. The Druid is a melee-focused Controller, so it's less appropriate.
After looking at what you said, how does this look?

Necromancer
Necromancer:
“Blah blah blah blah blah”

Class Traits
Role: Controller
Power Source: Shadow
Key Abilities: Intelligence, Charisma, Wisdom

Armor Proficiencies: Cloth, Leather, Hide
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple Melee, Simple Ranged
Implements: Rods, Staffs, Tomes
Bonus to Defense: +1 Fortitude, +1 Will

Hit points at 1st Level: 10 + Constitution Score
Hit points per level gained: 4
Healing Surges per Day: 8 + Constitution modifier

Trained Skills: Arcana. From the class list below, choose four more trained skills at 1st level. Class skills; Arcana (Int), Bluff (Cha), Diplomacy (Cha), Dungeoneering (Wis), Endurance (Con), History (Int), Insight (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Nature (Wis), Religion (Int).

Build Options: Phantasm Necromancer, Corpse Necromancer
Class Features: Dread Vitality, Secrets of Binding Life, Secrets of the Dark Arts, Ritual Casting

Necromancer Class Features

Dread Vitality:
You gain Dread Vitality as a class power.

Secrets of Binding Life: You add 5 + ½ half your class level as bonus hit points to any creature you summon.

Secrets of the Dark Arts:
Path of the False Life: You determine the amount of healing surges you have by using your Cha modifier or Con modifier, which ever is higher.
Path of Reaping Life: You may add your Wis modifier to damage to any attack power with the conjuration keyword.

Ritual Casting:
You gain the Ritual Caster feat as a bonus feat, allowing you to use magical rituals. You own a ritual book, and it contains two rituals of you choice that you have mastered: Two 1st level rituals.

Implements:
When you wield a magic rod, magic staff, or magic tome you can add its enhancement bonus to the attack rolls and the damage rolls of the Necromancer powers and Necromancer paragon path powers that have the implement keyword. Without an implement you can still use these powers.

Necromancer Powers

Class Feature Powers

Dread Vitality
Dread Vitality
Encounter (Special) Shadow, Healing
Special: You can use this power twice per encounter, but only once per round. At 16th level, you can use this power three time per encounter.
Minor Action Range 10
Target: One creature you have summoned
Effect: You can spend one healing surge but do not regain any hit points, instead your summon regains an amount of hit points equal to your healing surge value + your Int modifier.

At-Wills
Agonized Screams
A tortured shade momentarily slips into existence at you side, wailing in pain before fading away.
At-Will Shadow, Implement, Psychic, Fear
Standard Action Close burst 3
Target: All Creatures in Burst
Attack: Intelligence vs. Will
Effect: 1d8 + Intelligence modifier
Level 21: 2d8 + Intelligence modifier

Deathly Agent
With a click of you fingers, a minor spirit materializes from the Shadowfell to slowly deliver death to your foe
At-Will Shadow, Implement, Necrotic
Standard Action Ranged 10
Attack: Intelligence vs. Fortitude
Effect: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage and creature takes 5 ongoing Necrotic damage (Save ends)
Level 21: 2d6 + Intelligence modifier
Special: This power counts as a ranged basic attack. When a power allows you to make a ranged basic attack, you can use this power.

Grasping Claw
Ghoulish, spectral limbs reach out from the darkness or the very air to rake and tear at a foe with their icy touch, pulling them this way and that.
At-Will Shadow, Implement, Cold, Necrotic
Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex
Effect: 1d8 + Intelligence modifier cold damage and you may slide the target 2 squares.

Skeletal Guard
You conjure an armored skeleton to strike at nearby foes and ward off incoming attacks.
At-Will Shadow, Conjuration, Implement, Necrotic
Standard Action Close Burst 1
Target: All creatures in burst
Attack: Intelligence vs. AC
Effect: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage and you gain a +2 bonus to AC until the end of your next turn.

Visage of the fallen
You conjure a visage of the fallen to weighs your enemy with memories of past victims.
At-Will Shadow, Conjuration, Implement, Psychic, Zone
Effect: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier Psychic damage, target is slowed until the end of your next turn and the squares adjacent to the target become a zone that lasts until the end of your next turn. Any enemy that enters the zone or starts its turn there is slowed until the end of your next turn.

Rot Zombie
You raise a rot zombie to explode, leaving foes on the ground covered in pus and disease
At-Will Shadow, Implement, Poison, Summoning
Standard Action Range 10
Effect: You summon a Medium Rot Zombie in the unoccupied square within range. The Rot zombie has a speed of 6, 1 hp and lasts until the end of your next turn. You can give the rot zombie the following special commands.
Dissmisal or duration ends: Detonates the rot zombie, killing it without taking a healing surge. Close burst 1; targets all creatures in burst; 1d8 + Intelligence modifier poison damage and targets are knocked prone.
Death: Detonates the rot zombie, killing it does take a healing surge; Close burst 1; targets all creatures in burst; 1d8 + Intelligence modifier poison damage and targets are knocked prone.

Level 1 Encounter Powers
Watcher in the Dark
A ghastly, silent figure seeps into the material world. Beneath its unearthly gaze, enemies find the life bleeding from their bodies.
Encounter, Shadow, Conjuration, Implement, Necrotic, Zone
Standard Action Area burst 1 within 10 squares
Target: All enemies in burst
Hit: 2d6 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage.
Effect: The burst creates a zone of dark energy that lasts until the end of your next turn. Each creature that enters the zone gains Necrotic vulnerability 5 until the end of you next turn.
Sustain Minor: The Zone persists

Invocation of the Fetish
With a mutter of dark words, bones and dead flesh gather into a collection of tiny, ghastly figurines armed with wicked knives. They swarm over your enemies, stabbing frantically and gibbering madly all the while.
Encounter, Shadow, Implement, Necrotic
Standard Action Close Blast 3
Target: All enemies in blast
Hit: 1d10 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage and you push the target 2 squares
Path of Reaping Life: You push the targets a number of squares equal too 1 + your Wis modifier.

Mauling Zombie
At your dark bidding, a corpse lumbers to its feet to batter and strangle your foes.
Encounter, Shadow, Conjuration, Implement, Necrotic
Standard Action Range 10
Hit: 1d8 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage and the target are immobilized until the end of your next turn.
Effect: You conjure a Zombie that appears in one unoccupied square adjacent to the targets space. It lasts until the end of your next turn.
If an enemy ends its turn or begins its turn next to the Zombie it takes your Int modifier damage.
Path of False Life: The damage an enemy takes is instead is your Int modifier + your Cha modifier.

Blazing Spirit
you drag the still-burning soul of some poor creature that died in fire from its rest. Shrieking madly, it flits from target to target, burning them with ghostly flames.
Encounter, Shadow, Implement, Fire
Standard Action Range 10
Hit: 2d6 + Intelligence modifier Fire, make a secondary attack
Secondary target: One creature within 5 squares of the target hit by the last attack.
Secondary attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier Fire damage make a third attack
Third target: One creature within 5 squares of the target hit by the last attack.
Third attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier Fire damage

Level 1 Daily Powers
Pyre Golem
Gathering a handful of ashes from a funeral pyre in your hand, you blow them into the air, whereupon they billow and ignite into a blazing humanoid figure of flames, cinders and blackened bone fragments. The air around it is thick with choking ashes and the stench of burning flesh.
Daily, Shadow, Implement, Fire, Necrotic, Summoning
Standard Action Range 10
Effect: You summon a Medium Pyre Golem in the unoccupied square within range. The Pyre Golem has a speed of 6. It has a +2 AC bonus and a special aura listed below. You can give the Pyre Golem the following special commands.
Standard Action: Melee 1; target one creature; Intelligence vs. AC; 1d6 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic and Fire damage.
Opportunity Attack: Melee 1; target one creature; Intelligence vs. AC; 1d6 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic and Fire damage.
Ash Aura: aura 1; each creature that ends its turn within the aura takes a -2 to attack rolls until the end of your next turn.

Skeletal Legionnaire
a skeleton clad in rusty armor and wielding a spear and a shield clatters to its feet and takes up the position you indicate.
Daily, Shadow, Implement, Necrotic, Summoning
Standard Action Range 10
Effect: You summon a Medium Skeletal Legionnaire in the unoccupied square within range. The Skeletal Legionnaire has a speed of 6. It has a +2 AC bonus and +2 to Fortitude defense. You can give the Skeletal Legionnaire the following special commands.
Standard Action: Melee 2; target one creature; Intelligence vs. AC; 1d8 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage and you slide the target 1 square.
Opportunity Attack: Melee 1; target one creature; Intelligence vs. AC; 1d8 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage and you slide the target 1 square.

Savage Wight
You call a vicious and enraged Wight to your service so that you could eviscerate your foes.
Standard Action Range 10
Effect: You summon a Medium Savage Wight in the unoccupied square within range. The Savage Wight has a speed of 7. It has a +2 AC bonus and +2 to Reflex defense. You can give the Savage Wight the following special commands.
Standard Action: Melee 1; target one creature; two attacks; Intelligence vs. AC; 1d8 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage
Opportunity Attack: Melee 1; target one creature; two attack; Intelligence vs. AC; 1d8 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage.

Winter Haunt.
You raise an echo of winter’s wrath to chill your foes to the bone.
Daily, Shadow, Implement, Cold, Conjuration
Standard Action Range 10
Target: One or two creatures.
Hit: 2d6 + Intelligence modifier cold damage, and the target are immobilized until end of your next turn.
Miss: Half damage and target is slowed until end of your next turn
Effect: You conjure a Winter Haunt in 1 square with each targets space. Each Winter Haunt lasts until the end of your next turn. Each Winter Haunt has the following aura.
Frozen Aura: aura 2; squares in aura are treated as difficult terrain.
Sustain Minor: Each Winter Haunt persists.

Soul stealer
a soul specter emerges to steal a bit of your foes soul and strengthen your own
Daily, Shadow, Implement, Necrotic
Standard Action Range 10
Target: One creature in range
Hit: 2d8 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage.
Miss: Half damage
Effect: You gain a number of temporary hit points equal to the damage you dealt to the creature

Level 2 Utility Powers
Bone Shield
Stirred by your dark magic, bones fling them through the air and lock together into a shield, absorbing a blow meant for you or an ally.
Encounter, Shadow
Immediate Interrupt Ranged 5
Target: You or ally within range
Trigger: You or an ally is hit by an attack
Effect: You reduce the damage taken by the attack by an amount equal to one half your level + you Int modifier.

Spectral Eyes
a ghostly eye appears at your command, ranging forth and allowing you to see what it sees.
Encounter, Shadow, Conjuration
Standard Action Range 10
Effect: You conjure a Spectral Eye within a square in range. Any ally adjacent to the Spectral eye gains darkvision 10 and can ignore minor concealment until the end of your next turn.
Sustain Minor: Spectral Eye persists.

Sacrifice Undead
you kill off your undead minion, for its life force is better spent elsewhere.
Encounter, Shadow
Minor Action Ranged 10
Target: one creature you have summoned within range
Effect: You destroy the summoned creature and you gain temporary hit points equal to 5 + your Int modifier. A summoned creature killed in this manner does not take a healing surge when it dies.

Ghastly Truth
You peer into the Shadow fell, catching a glimpse of the truthful horror that has befallen the area.
Encounter Shadow
Minor Action Personal
Effect: You gain a +5 power bonus to your next Insight, Streetwise, or Knowledge check during this encounter

Level 3 Encounter Powers
Bone Volley
Ghostly archers materialize behind you, firing a barrage of bone arrows before disappearing again.
Standard Action Range 10
Target: 1, 2 or 3 creatures in range
Attack: Intelligence vs. AC; one attack per target
Hit: 1d10 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage and you push the target 1 square

Visions of the Hungry Sea
Your enemies gasp and thrash their arms wildly, trying desperately to break the non-existent surface of the water. At your side, an off-white figure drools copious water from sodden lungs.
Encounter, Shadow, Implement, Psychic, Fear
Attack: Intelligence vs. Will;
Hit: 1d8 + Intelligence modifier Psychic damage and the target is slowed (save ends)
After first failed save: target is immobilized (save ends)
Path of Reaping Life: The target takes a penalty to saves against this attack equal to your Wis modifier

Shade Specter
A Shade specter spawns from the Shadowfell, slowly eating away at the light.
Standard Action Range 10
Hit: 2d4 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage and the target dazed until the end of your next turn.
Effect: You conjure a shade specter that appears in one unoccupied square adjacent to the targets space. It lasts until the end of your next turn. The Shade specter creates a close burst 2 zone of darkness that originates at its square. The zone grants concealment to any ally in it and the zone lasts as long as the shade specter exists
Sustain Minor: The Shade Specter persists.
Path of False Life: The close burst zone is a number of squares large equal to 1 + you Cha modifier.

Hulking Zombie
You utter dark speech to conjure a hulking zombie to crush your foes to the ground.
Standard Action Range 10
Effect: You conjure a Hulking Zombie that appears in one unoccupied square within range that lasts until the end of your next turn. You can make the following attack, using the Hulking Zombie as the origin square.
Free Action Close burst 2
Target: each creature in burst
Hit: 1d12 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage and the target is knocked prone
Special: You can only use this attack once per round, but it can be repeated once more before the duration expires for the Hulking Zombie

Level 5 Daily Powers

Dread Reaper
a skeleton covered in shredded robes and wielding a scythe floats across the field to feed on the fallen, it every swing striking at your soul
Standard Action Range 10
Effect: You summon a Medium Dread Reaper in the unoccupied square within range. The Dread Reaper has a fly speed of 6 (Hover). It has a +2 AC bonus and +2 to Reflex defense as well as a special aura listed below. You can give the Dread Reaper the following special commands.
Standard Action: Melee 1; target one creature; Intelligence vs. Will; 2d4 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage.
Opportunity Attack: Melee 1; target one creature; Intelligence vs. Will; 2d4 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage.
Death Aura; aura 2; Dread reaper regains your Int modifier hit points for each creature reduced to 0 within the aura.

Phantom Nightmare
You give life to the nightmares from the mind of your foe to strike fear into the hearts of its allies.
Daily, Shadow, Implement, Psychic, Fear, Conjuration
Standard Action Range 20
Target: One creature in range.
Hit: 2d8 + Intelligence modifier Psychic damage, and slide the target 3 squares
Miss: Half damage and push the target 1 square
Effect: You conjure a Phantom Nightmare in the square of the target. The Phantom Nightmare lasts until the end of your next turn and is attached to target hit or miss. If the target moves, the Phantom Nightmare moves with it while it remains in range. Any creature that starts or ends its turn adjacent to the Phantom Nightmare takes your Int modifier damage and is pushed 3 squares away from the Phantom Nightmare.
Sustain Minor: The Phantom Nightmare persists.

Curse of the Wight
A ghastly visage of a raged Wight strikes your foe, leaving a seed for something far more sinister in its wake.
Standard Action Range 10
Target: One creature in range.
Hit: 2d10 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage
Effect: When the target of this power has reached 0 hit points a Savage Wight is summoned as a free action in the targets square. The Savage Wight functions the same as the Savage Wight power except that it does not take a healing surge if it dies.

Shrieking Specter
you wretch a specter from the corpse of a foe, it screeching from its ghastly birth
Daily, Shadow, Implement, Psychic, Fear, Necrotic, Summoning
Standard Action Range 10
Effect: You summon a Medium Shrieking Specter in the unoccupied square within range. The Shrieking Specter has a fly speed of 6 (Hover). It has a +2 AC bonus and Insubstantial. You can give the Shrieking Specter the following special commands.
Standard Action: Close burst 2; target each creature in burst; Intelligence vs. Will; 1d8 + Intelligence modifier Psychic and Necrotic damage and the target takes a -2 penalty to AC until the end of your next turn.
Opportunity Attack: Melee 1; target one creature; Intelligence vs. AC; 1d8 + Intelligence modifier Psychic and Necrotic damage.

Ghastly Stream
a rotting corpse, swollen with putrid fluids and rot shambles to your side, then disgorges a grotesque cascade of corrosive noxiousness upon your foe.
Daily, Shadow, Conjuration, Implement, Acid, Poison
Standard Action Range 10
Effect: You conjure a Bloated Zombie that appears in one unoccupied square within range. It lasts until the end of your next turn. You can make the following attack, using the Bloated Zombie as the origin square.
Free Action Close Blast 3
Target: Each creature in blast
Hit: 2d8 + Intelligence modifier Poison and Acid damage and ongoing 5 acid damage (Save ends)
Special: You can only use this attack once per round, but it can be repeated once more before the duration expires for the Bloated Zombie

Level 6 Utility Powers
Exploding Undead
you set your undead to explode, sending nauseating fragments to your foes.
Encounter, Shadow
Minor Action Ranged 10
Effect: You set your target summon to explode on its dismissal or death. When it is dismissed or dies execute this attack centered on the target summon. When this creature dies it still takes a healing surge, unless specified otherwise.
Shadow, Implement, Necrotic, Poison
Free Action Close burst 3
Target: all creatures in burst.
Hit: Intelligence modifier Necrotic and Poison damage and target takes ongoing 10 Necrotic and Poison damage (save ends)

Corpse Guardian
a shambling dead thing stumbles to your side, protecting you and allies from oncoming attacks.
Daily, Shadow, Implement, Summoning
Minor Action Range 5
Effect: You summon a Medium Corpse Guardian in an unoccupied square within range. The Corpse Guardian has a speed of 6 and it has a +2 AC bonus. You can give the Corpse Guardian the following special commands.
Immediate Interrupt: When you or an ally is targeted by a ranged or melee attack and the Corpse Guardian is adjacent to you or the attacked ally, the Corpse Guardian becomes the target of the attack.

Zombie Crawler
you raise an undead spider like creature from the surrounding bones, a creature made to give is master a lift
Minor Action Range 10
Effect: You summon a Large Zombie Crawler in an unoccupied square within range. The Zombie Crawler has a speed of 8 and climb speed of 4. The creature is treated as a mount and the middle of the body is formed to function like a saddle. You can give the Zombie Crawler standard commands like all summons but it can not attack. You can sustain this power even if the encounter is over or 5 minutes has passed. It sustains as a minor action.

Mask of Death
You conjure a mask made from the flesh of the fallen, giving your body the natural resistances of the undead.
Encounter, Shadow, Conjuration
Standard Action Personal
Effect: You conjure a Mask of Death in your square. The Mask of Death lasts until the end of your next turn and is attached to you. Any creature that has the Mask of Death attached to them has Resist 10 Necrotic and +2 to will defense. Also you no longer have to eat, drink, sleep or breathe but it does not render you immune to any effects. As a move action you may attach the Mask of Death to an ally adjacent to you and vice versa.
Sustain Minor: The Mask of Death persists.

Level 7 Encounter Powers
The Razor's Kiss
At your invocation, a terrible thing of bloodied flesh and gleaming blades dances from the shadows, skittering to a halt in a shower of sparks. It scrapes blade against blade, eager to shed blood.
Standard Action Range 20
Hit: 2d6 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage
Effect: You conjure a Razor's Kiss that appears in one unoccupied square adjacent to the targets space. It lasts until the end of your next turn. Any creature that starts or ends its turn adjacent of the Razor’s Kiss takes 1d6 + Int modifier damage
Sustain Minor: The Razor Kiss persists. When you sustain this power, you may shift the Razor Kiss 3 squares.
Path of False Life: The number of squares shifted when you sustain this power equals 2 + your Cha modifier.

Strangling Shadows
Ghastly figures rise from the darkness, latching umbral fingers around your foes throats and limbs.
Standard Action Burst 2 within range of 20
Hit: 2d8 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage and the target is immobilized and takes ongoing 5 Necrotic damage (save ends both)

Ghost Lanterns
Small spirits bearing spectral lamps flit about the battlefield. Where their light touches, it freezes into ice.
Encounter, Shadow, Implement, Cold
Standard Action Burst 1 within range of 20
Hit: 2d6 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage and the target are slowed and take a -2 penalty to attack rolls (save ends both)
Path of Reaping Life: The penalty to attacks rolls is equal to 1 + your Wis modifier

Bone Rush
You quickly raise a group of skeletons to fend off oncoming foes and drain some life force fore yourself
Standard Action Close Burst 3
Hit: 2d10 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage and the target is pushed 3 squares. You also gain 2 temp hit points for every target hit by this attack.

Level 9 Daily Powers
Spectral Knot
a writhing tangle of ectoplasm and wailing skulls materializes at your command, lashing out with ghostly tendrils and trying to absorb enemies into it.
Daily, Shadow, Implement, Psychic, Conjuration
Standard Action Range 20
Effect: You conjure a Medium Spectral Knot that occupies one square within range and the Spectral Knot makes the following close burst attack. It lasts until the end of your next turn.
Range: close burst 3
Attack: Intelligence +2 vs. Will
Hit: 2d6 + Int modifier psychic damage and pull the target 3 squares.
Sustain Minor: The Spectral Knot persists. Each time you sustain this power you may repeat the attack.

Grave Soil Golem
Corrupted earth, shards of rotted wood and fragments of bone gather together at your command. This menacing figure can hurl foes aside with ease.
Standard Action Range 10
Effect: You summon a Medium Grave Soil Golem in the unoccupied square within range. The Grave Soil Golem has a speed of 6. It has a +2 AC bonus and +2 to Fortitude defense as well as a special aura listed below. You can give the Grave Soil Golem the following special commands.
Standard Action: Close burst 1; each creature in burst; Intelligence vs. Reflex; 1d10 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage and slides the target 1 square
Opportunity Attack: Melee 1; target one creature; Intelligence vs. Reflex; 1d10 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage and slide the target 1 square
Grave aura; aura 2; any creature that starts or ends its turn in the aura is slowed until the end of you next turn.

Visions of Torment
a swarm of ghostly fragments flies through those who stand before you, overwhelming their minds with shattered memories of unbearable pain and the caress of death.
Daily, Shadow, Implement, Psychic, Fear
Standard Action Close blast 3

Target: Each creature in blast
Hit: 3d6 + Intelligence modifier Psychic damage.
Effect: Until the end of the encounter each creature hit by this power takes your Int modifier psychic damage each time it makes an attack.

Ghast's Talons
A hand erupts from the earth below your victim and rakes at their flesh with its venomous claws, crippling them with paralytic toxins.
Daily, Shadow, Implement, Poison
Standard Action Range 10
Hit: 2d8 + Intelligence modifier Poison damage and target takes ongoing 10 poison damage (Save ends). Make secondary attack
Miss: Half damage and target takes ongoing poison damage
Secondary Attack: Intelligence vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d8 + Intelligence modifier Poison damage and the target is Immobilized (Save ends)

Skull Mage
three cackling skulls swirl around you as you form a skull mage to rain fire on your foes.
Daily, Shadow, Implement, Necrotic, Fire, Cold, Summoning
Standard Action Range 10
Effect: You summon a Medium Skull Mage in the unoccupied square within range. The Skull Mage has a speed of 6. It has a +2 AC bonus and +2 to Will defense. You can give the Skull Mage the following special commands.
Minor Action: Range 10; one creature in range; Intelligence vs. Will; 1d10 + Intelligence modifier Cold damage and push the target 5 square
Minor Action: Range 10; one creature in range: Intelligence vs. Fortitude; 2d6 + Intelligence modifier Fire damage.
Minor Action: Range 10; one creature in range: Intelligence vs. Reflex; 1d10 + Int modifier damage and the Skull mage gains 1+ Int modifier temp hit points.
Opportunity Attack: Melee 1; target one creature; Intelligence vs. AC; 1d8 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage

Level 10 Utility Powers
Shadow switch
the shadows engulf you and your summon, switching your places in the knick of time
Encounter, Shadow, Teleportation
Immediate Interrupt Ranged 10
Trigger: You are hit by an attack.
Effect: You and your summoned creature switch places and the summoned creature becomes the target of the attack.
Special: You may use this power as a minor action, without regards to the trigger tag.

Skin Kite
you shape bones and dead skin into a ghastly set of wings, which last long enough to carry you aloft.
Encounter, Shadow
Minor Action Personal
Effect: You gain a fly speed of 6 (Hover) until the end of your next turn.

Spectral Chanter
Using a larger portion of your life force you bring a spectral chanter back from the dead, it murmuring the words of a power you have cast
Minor Action Range 5
Effect: You summon a Medium Spectral Chanter in an unoccupied square within range. The Corpse Guardian has a fly speed of 6 (hover) and it has a +2 AC bonus and is Insubstantial. As long as the Spectral Chanter is alive it can sustain one power you have cast during this encounter. You may command it to stop sustaining one power as a free action. If the spectral chanter is not currently sustaining a power you may as a minor action make it sustain a new power. If the Spectral Chanter dies or is dismissed the current sustainable power stops being sustained and you lose 2 healing surges
Special: at Level 21 the Spectral Chanter may sustain up to two powers at a time.

Vampiric Mist
a ghostly mist descends upon the battlefield, soaking up the gore and then streaming into your flesh, carrying with it the life that was shed.
Encounter, Shadow
Minor Action Personal
Effect: You may spend a healing surge and regain a number of hit points equal to your healing surge value + Your Int modifier hit points for every bloodied creature within 10 squares of you.

Level 13 Encounter Powers
Charnel Charge
Bones or dead flesh assemble themselves into a hulking beast, which paws the ground and then thunders into the ranks of your foes, sending them flying.
Standard Action Range 20
Effect: You conjure a Charnel Charger that appears in one unoccupied square within range. It lasts until the end of your next turn. The Charnel Charger shifts 10 squares and at any time during this movement it may make this attack. This attack can be repeated as many times during this movement equal to 1 + Int modifier, but the target of the attack must be new for each attack.
Free Action Melee 1
Hit: 1d10 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage and the target is pushed 4 squares and after the forced movement it is knocked prone.
Path of the False Life: The number of squares shifted equals 9 + your Cha modifier

Call the Gravedigger
At your conjuration, a monstrous worm-thing erupts from the ground beneath your enemy's feet, swallowing them whole before vanishing back into the earth. It resurfaces elsewhere to disgorge its victim, but the damage is already done.
Encounter, Shadow, Implement, Acid
Standard Action Range 20
Hit: 2d8 + Intelligence modifier Acid damage.
Effect: You teleport the target 5 + Int modifier squares and the creature grants combat advantage until the end of your next turn.

Bone Dancer
you summon forth a whirling, madly laughing, skeletal figure who leaps and bounds from target to target, slicing into their flesh as it passes by.
Standard Action Range 20
Hit: 2d6 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage. If there is a target within 3 squares of this initial attack that has not been attacked by the use of this power then you may repeat this attack against that creature. This attack may be repeated until there is no target within the 3 squares of the last attacked creature that has not been attacked by this power already. The power also ends if at any time you miss a target.

Chillborn
The figure of a child, glistening with rimefrost and pale as snow, creaks its way across the battlefield. Its very presence drains the heat from the living, leaving nothing but a frozen corpse.
Encounter, Shadow, Conjuration, Implement, Cold, Zone
Standard Action Range 20
Effect: You conjure a Chillborn that appears in one unoccupied square within range. It lasts until the end of your next turn. The Chillborn executes this attack using its square as the origin square.
Hit: 2d8 + Intelligence modifier Cold damage and the is gains cold vulnerability 10 and is slowed (Save ends both)
Special: The burst creates a zone that lasts as long as the Chillborn does. Any creature that starts or ends its turn in the zone takes 5 Cold damage.
Sustain Minor: The Chillborn persists. You may as a standard action, move the Chillborn 5 squares
Path of the Reaping Life: The amount of damage dealt by the zone equals 3 + your Wis modifier.

Level 15 Daily Powers
Soul Puppet
a long-dead warrior, ectoplasm strings reaching up from its limbs and vanishing into the sky, materializes where you demand. As you flex your fingers, it dances to your whim.
Standard Action Range 10
Effect: You summon a Medium Soul Puppet in the unoccupied square within range. The Soul Puppet has a speed of 6. It has a +2 AC bonus. Any enemy that starts its turn adjacent to the Soul puppet is marked by the Soul puppet until the end of your next turn. You can give the Soul Puppet the following special commands. In addition a Soul puppet does an extra Necrotic damage equal to your Cha modifier against foes it has marked.
Standard Action: Melee 1; target one creature; Intelligence vs. AC; 2d8 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage and the Target is marked by the Soul Puppet
Minor Action: You and the Soul Puppet swap positions
Opportunity Attack: Melee 1; target one creature; Intelligence vs. AC; 2d8 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage and the target is marked by the Soul Puppet until the end of your next turn.

Spectral Golem
Ectoplasm and fragmented spirits slither and writhe, merging together in a thrashing tangle that, under your commands, becomes a hulking humanoid figure, at once intangible and destructively solid.
Standard Action Range 10
Effect: You summon a Large Spectral Golem in an unoccupied 2-square-by-2 square within range. The Spectral Golem has a reach of 2 and a fly speed of 6(hover). It has a +4 AC bonus and is Insubstantial. You can give the Spectral Golem the following special commands.
Standard Action: Melee 2; target one creature; Intelligence vs. Fortitude; 2d6 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage and the target is knocked prone
Opportunity Attack: Melee 2; target one creature; Intelligence vs. Fortitude; 2d6 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage and the target is knocked prone
Move Action: The Spectral gains Phasing until the end of your next turn.

The Burning
Ethereal flame explodes amidst your enemies as the still-burning souls of those who perished in fire materialize at your command. As the flames devour new victims, they grow ever stronger.
Encounter, Shadow, Implement, Fire, Zone
Standard Action Close burst 5
Hit: 4d6 + Intelligence modifier fire damage
Effect: The burst creates a zone of soul burning fire. Any creature that starts or ends its turn in the zone takes 1d6 + Int modifier damage. Any time a creature is reduced to 0 hit points within the zone it increases the damage done by the zone to 2d6 + Int modifier damage until the end of your next turn.
Sustain Minor: The zone persists.

Brain in a Jar
you summon an abomination of intelligence and necromancy. The brain in the jar floats around working as a mental bastion for allies and a destroyer of minds for enemies.
Daily, Shadow, Implement, Necrotic, Psychic, Summoning
Standard Action Range 10
Effect: You summon a Small Brain in a Jar an unoccupied square within range. The Brain in a Jar has a fly speed of 8(hover). It has a +2 AC bonus and is Insubstantial. You can give the Brain in a Jar the following special commands. Any ally within 10 squares of the Brain in the jar can communicate telepathically to any other ally within 10 squares of the Brain in the jar. In addition any ally within 5 squares of the Brain in the jar gains a +2 bonus to will save.
Standard Action: Range 20; target one creature; Intelligence vs. Will; 2d10 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic and Psychic damage and the target slides 4 squares
Opportunity Attack: Melee 1; target one creature; Intelligence vs. Will; 2d10 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic and Psychic damage and the target slides 4 squares

Level 17 Encounter Powers
Voidflame Explosion
a skeletal figure, engulfed in purple-black flames, races to the spot you designate and then detonates in a burst of life-withering energy.
Encounter, Shadow, Implement, Necrotic, Fire
Standard Action Burst 3 within range of 20
Hit: 3d6 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic and Fire damage and the target takes a penalty to damage rolls equal to you Intelligence modifier (save ends)
Path of False Life: The penalty equals you Intelligence modifier + you Charisma modifier

Call Gut hurler
a nightmarish, deformed figure lumbers to the spot you choose. Reaching into its open body cavity, it slings globs of its own putrefying organs at your enemies.
Encounter, Shadow, Conjuration, Implement, Necrotic, Poison
Standard Action Range 20
Effect: You conjure a Gut hurler that appears in one unoccupied square within range. It lasts until the end of your next turn. The Gut hurler can make the following the attack once per round as long as it is conjured.
Free Action Burst 2 within Range 10
Hit: 2d6 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic and Poison damage and the target takes 5 ongoing Poison damage (save ends)
First failed save: the ongoing damage increases to ongoing 10 Poison damage.
Sustain Minor: The Gut hurler persists.

Vortex of Bone
at your command, bones begin to whip themselves violently into a spinning vortex, slashing and battering those caught within. It moves quickly across the battlefield, tearing your enemies to shreds.
Standard Action Range 20
Effect: You can conjure two Vortex of Bones that appears in two unoccupied squares within range. They last until the end of your next turn. The Vortex of Bone can make the following the attack once per round as long as it is conjured.
Hit: 2d8 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage
Sustain Minor: Both Vortex of Bone persists. Each time this power is sustained you can move each Vortex of Bone a number of squares equal to your Int modifier.

Festering Torment
a figure locked in excruciating pain, the collective echo of a thousand tormented deaths, materializes upon the battlefield. Those who draw near it feel its pain.
Standard Action Range 20
Effect: You conjure a Festering Torment that appears in one unoccupied square within range. It lasts until the end of your next turn. The Festering Torment can make the following the attack once per round as long as it is conjured.
Hit: 2d8 + Intelligence modifier Psychic damage and the target take a -2 penalty to a defense of your choice. (Save ends)
Sustain Minor: The Festering Torment persists
The Path of Reaping Life: The penalty to the defense equals to 1 + Wis modifier.

Level 19 Daily Powers
Call Necryl
A monstrous flying thing made of rotting flesh and bare bones drops down from the sky. It grabs one of your enemies to the Shadowfell to begin the feast.
Daily, Shadow, Implement, Teleportation, Necrotic
Standard Action Range 10
Hit: The target is banished to the shadowfell (save ends) the target disappears, cannot take actions, and cannot be targeted. On a save the target reappears in the space it last occupied. If that space is occupied the target returns to the nearest unoccupied space of its choice. You can call the target from the shadowfell as a free action, in which case it appears as described above. Every turn the target stays in the shadowfell the creature takes 1d6 + Int modifier Necrotic damage.

Skeletal Legion
a number of armored skeletons march into position around you, barricading you against your enemies.
Daily, Shadow, Implement, Summoning, Necrotic, Zone
Effect: The close burst creates a summon of a Skeletal Legion which functions as a zone and as a summon. Creatures can enter the zone but each square of the zone is part of the summoned creature and can be attacked as such. If targeted by an area attack it only gets attacked once. The zone ends when the Skeletal Legion dies. Any creature that starts its turn in the zone takes 1d6 + Int modifier damage and is slid 2 squares. The caster of this power is not affected by the zone. When the summoned Skeletal Legion moves the whole zone moves. The Skeletal Legion can perform the following special actions.
Standard action: Each creature within zone; Intelligence vs. AC; 2d8 Necrotic + Int modifier Necrotic damage and target slides 4 squares
Standard action: Each creature within zone; Intelligence vs. AC; 2d8 Necrotic + Int modifier Necrotic damage and target gains Necrotic vulnerability 5 (save ends)

Shambling Horde
Groans and whines fill the air as dozens of zombies claw their way from the earth, lumbering in search of fresh meat.
Daily, Shadow, Implement, Summoning, Necrotic, Zone
Standard Action Burst 3 within Range 20
Effect: The burst creates a summon of a Shambling Horde which functions as a zone and as a summon. Creatures can enter the zone but each square of the zone is part of the summoned creature and can be attacked as such. If targeted by an area attack it only gets attacked once. The zone ends when the Shambling Horde dies. The zone is treated as difficult terrain and any creature that starts its turn in the zone is slowed (save ends). The caster of this power is not affected by the zone. When the summoned Shambling Horde moves the whole zone moves. The Shambling Horde can perform the following special actions.
Standard action: Each creature within zone; Intelligence vs. Fortitude; 2d6 + Int modifier Necrotic damage and target takes ongoing 5 Necrotic damage (Save ends)
Standard action: Each creature within zone; Intelligence vs. Fortitude; 2d6 + Int modifier Necrotic damage and target is knocked prone.

Innocence Abused
To the target of this spell, the world becomes engulfed in darkness as they find themselves cowering before a looming specter, an embodiment of brutality and depredation against the helpless.
Encounter, Shadow, Conjuration, Implement, Psychic
Standard Action Range 20
Effect: You conjure a Innocence Abused that appears in one unoccupied square within range. It lasts until the end of your next turn. Innocence Abused can make the following the attack once per round as long as it is conjured.
Free Action Close burst 1
Target: Each creature in burst.
Hit: 3d8 + Intelligence modifier Psychic damage and the target are blinded. (Save ends)
Sustain Minor: The Innocence Abused persists.
Nice work! That looks excellent! Now, I believe the next step is to figure out the Class Features, is it not? So... where do we begin? The obvious step is to figure out how the Phantasmagorist and Corruptor features, yes? Hmm... how many Class Features should we give it, anyway?

For reference, the Invoker has Channel Divinity, Divine Covenant (which is divided into Covenants of Preservation and Wrath), and Ritual Caster. The Wizard, meanwhile, has Arcane Implement Mastery, Cantrips, Ritual Caster and Spellbook.

Hmm... Phantasmist/Corruptor would probably be a single "divided" feature (like Divine Covenant or Implement Mastery), now that I think about it...

::Edit::
Now that I think about it, in a general outlook, perhaps Corruptor gives a boon to Summoning keyword powers (more health for the summoned creature, perhaps?), while Phantasmagorist gives a boon to Conjuration keyword powers (though what, precisely, escapes me)?
Necromancer powers continued

Level 22 Utility Powers

Memory Specters Necromancer Utility 22
Dredging up ghosts from the past, you and your allies are imparted with ancient wisdom.
Encounter: Shadow, Conjuration
Minor Action Close Burst 10
Targets: All allies in burst
Effect: For 5 minutes or until the end of the encounter, you and your allies can make knowledge checks as though you were trained in that skill. Information gleaned from these checks is immediately disemminated to those allies within the Burst.
Path of False Life: You and your allies gain a +3 to these checks.

Gravewalk Necromancer Utility 22
By command, a spirit that died where you stand carries you through the spirit world and out to another unmarked grave.
Encounter: Shadow, Teleport
Move Action Personal
Effect: You may teleport up to 10 squares, but must finish this movement on solid ground.

Black Dog Necromancer Utility 22
The baleful howl of the black dog intimates an approaching death, giving you time to prepare.
Encounter: Shadow
Minor Action Personal
Effect: You absorb the soul the next creature that is reduced to 0 hit points within a Close Burst 10, allowing you to regain hit points as though you'd spent a healing surge.
Path of Reaping Life: You also gain a +2 to all defenses until the end of your next turn.

Otherworld Filter Necromancer Utility 22
A slip in worlds opens twixt a creature and it's target, passing the energy through the otherworld. That which goes in, comes out changed.
Encounter: Shadow, Necrotic
Immediate Interrupt
Trigger: An attack with an fire, ice, lightning, poison, thunder, psychic, or radiant keyword is made.
Effect: The damage type of the attack changes from its original energy type to Necrotic.
Special: Casting this on a Radiant attack cancels out the attack.

Powers done by Johnathan Vagabond

Level 23 Encoutner Powers
Herald of Decay
a gruesome corpse-thing, worried from within by the parasitic fetor of its sunken grave, stumbles onto the battlefield, slopping fluid with each pain-ridden step. In its presence, flesh withers and metal corrodes.
Encounter, Shadow, Conjuration, Implement, Necrotic, Acid
Standard Action Range 20
Effect: You conjure a Herald of Decay that appears in one unoccupied square within range. It lasts until the end of your next turn. The Herald of Decay can make the following the attack once per round as long as it is conjured.
Hit: 2d8 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic and Acid damage and the target take a -2 penalty to attack rolls or AC defense, your choice. (Save ends)
Sustain Minor: The Festering Torment persists
Path of False Life: The penalty equals 1 + your Charisma modifier

Banshee's Wail
a twisted soul appears where you designate, the force of its hateful scream sending your enemies flying even as it rips the life from their bodies.
Encounter, Shadow, Conjuration, Implement, Necrotic, Thunder
Standard Action Range 20
Effect: You conjure a Banshee's Wail that appears in one unoccupied square within range. It lasts until the end of your next turn. The Banshee's Wail can make the following the attack once unless specified otherwise.
Hit: 3d8 + Intelligence modifier Thunder and Necrotic damage and the target is pushed 5 squares.
The Path of Reaping Life: You may repeat this attack the following round before the power expires.

Hungry Spirits
Pale forms drift from the darkness, embracing the living and leeching away their vital warmth in a desperate attempt to feel alive again.
Standard Action Burst 2 within range of 20
Hit: 4d6 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic and the target is Immobilized (save ends)

Toxic Burner
A wasted form, with long needles in place of fingers, chatters and screams to itself as it pounces on one of your enemies, pumping their veins with poison in order to feed on their death.
Encounter, Shadow, Implement, Poison
Standard Action Range of 20
Hit: 3d6 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic and Poison damage and the target takes ongoing 15 Poison damage (save ends)
Effect: If this creature dies by this power or while still taking ongoing damage, restore an amount of hit points equal too ½ your level + Your Int modifier.

Level 25 Daily Powers
Toll the Bell
a shrouded figure emerges from the gloom, a huge bell of bronze at its side. With each toll that booms from it, one of your enemies finds their life cut short.
Daily, Shadow, Conjuration, Implement, Necrotic
Standard Action Range 20
Effect: You conjure a Bell Specter that appears in one unoccupied square within range. It lasts until the end of your next turn. The Bell Specter can make the following the attack once per round as long as it is conjured.
Free Action Range 20
Hit: 6d6 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage.
Special: The line of sight for the target of this attack can be drawn from both the Bell Specter and the conjurer of this power.

Dance of Death's Butterflies
the flitting swarm of black and white butterflies may look beautiful, at first, but awe changes to fear when they realize that those embraced by the swarm disappear.
Daily, Shadow, Implement, Necrotic, Zone
Standard Action Burst 3 in range of 20
Hit: 4d6 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage
Effect: The burst creates a zone of pitch black butterflies. Creatures inside the burst do not have line of sight to outside the burst. Any creature that starts or ends its turn in the zone takes 2d6 + Int modifier damage. Any time a creature is reduced to 0 hit points within the zone it increases the zone area by 1 square to a maximum of 3 + Int modifier squares large.

Corpse Behemoth
A monstrous thing, a conglomeration of corpses stitched and sutured and cauterized into one blasphemous whole, begins tearing through the ranks of your enemies.
Standard Action Range 20
Effect: You summon a Large Corpse Behemoth in an unoccupied 2-square-by-2 square within range. The Corpse Behemoth has a reach of 2 and a speed of 6. It has a +4 AC bonus and +4 to Fortitude. You can give the Corpse Behemoth the following special commands. The Corpse Behemoth has threatening reach, allowing it to make opportunity attacks against targets within its reach of 2.
Standard Action: Melee 2; target one creature; Intelligence vs. AC; 3d6 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage and the target slides your Int modifier squares and is marked by the Corpse Behemoth until the end of your next turn.
Opportunity Attack: Melee 2; target one creature; Intelligence vs. AC; 3d6 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage and the target slides your Int modifier squares and is marked by the Corpse Behemoth until the end of your next turn.

Black Ice Lancer
gout of blood geysers from the earth, twisting into a strange humanoid shape of spikes and blades before freezing solid. This ghastly thing can send spikes hurling through the air with a flick of its wrist.
Daily, Shadow, Implement, Necrotic, Cold, Summoning
Standard Action Range 10
Effect: You summon a Medium Black Ice Lancer in the unoccupied square within range. The Black Ice Lancer has a speed of 6. It has a +4 AC bonus and +4 to Reflex save. You can give the Black Ice Lancer the following special commands.
Standard Action: Close burst 1; each creature in burst; Intelligence vs. Fortitude; 2d10 + Intelligence modifier Cold and Necrotic damage and the Target is immobilized (Save ends)
Standard Action: Ranged 10; 1,2,3 creatures within range 1 attack against each target; Intelligence vs. Reflex; 2d6 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic and Cold and the target gains Vulnerability 5 to both Cold and Necrotic (Save ends both)
Opportunity Attack: Melee 1; target one creature; Intelligence vs. AC; 2d10 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic and Cold damage and the target is knocked prone.

Level 27 Encounter Powers
The Hanged Haunt
a nightmarish conjuration of a hanged ghoul terrorizes your foes. Making them feel the suffering it was put through.
Encounter, Shadow, Conjuration, Implement, Psychic
Standard Action Range 20
Effect: You conjure a Hanged Haunt that appears in one unoccupied square within range. It lasts until the end of your next turn. The Hanged Haunt can make the following the attack once per round as long as it is conjured.
Free Action Close burst 1
Hit: 4d6 + Intelligence modifier Psychic damage and you slide the target 1 square vertically. The target remains aloft as long as the Hanged Haunt exists. While aloft, it is dazed and immobilized, and it grants combat advantage to you and your allies. When the Hanged Haunt ends the target lands on its feet in the space it formerly occupied or in the nearest unoccupied space of its choice
Special: You may move the Hanged Haunt as a minor action a number of squares equal to you 1 + you Int modifier.

Ghost of Possession
You send a ghost to posses and manipulate a foe. As it leaves the body it takes the life force of the creature with it.
Encounter, Shadow, Implement, Psychic, Charm
Standard Action Range 20
Hit: The Target is dominated until the end of your next turn.
After effect: The target takes 4d6 Psychic damage.
Path of Reaping Life: The target takes an additional 10 + Wis modifier Psychic damage.

Hands of the Grave
You call upon the grave to drag your foes to their deaths. The harder they struggle the more tangled they get in the mass of hands.
Standard Action Burst 2 in Range 20
Target: Each creature in Burst
Hit: 3d10 + Int modifier Necrotic damage and the target is Immobilized (save ends)
First Failed Save: The target is restrained (Save ends)

The Black Spire
a Tower of bones and undead parts mingle spirals out of the ground to lead foes into the dark abyss and boost the undead.
Encounter, Shadow, Conjuration, Implement, Necrotic, Healing
Standard Action Range 20
Effect: You conjure a Black Spire that appears in one unoccupied square within range. It lasts until the end of your next turn. The Black Spire can make the following the attack once per round as long as it is conjured. Any Creature summoned by the Necromancer powers that starts its turn within 5 squares gains +4 to damage rolls until end of you next turn.
Hit: 3d10 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage and one summoned creature of your choice within 5 squares of the Black Spire gains a temporary hit points equal to your Int modifier
Sustain Minor: The Black Spire Persists
The Path of False Life: The amount of Temporary hit points equals your Int modifier + your Cha modifier

Level 29 Daily Powers
Call the Reaper
a towering figure with scythe-blades for arms materializes from the darkness. None can stand against its power.
Standard Action Range 20
Effect: You summon a Large Reaper in an unoccupied 2-square-by-2 square within range. The Reaper has a reach of 2 and a fly speed of 8 (hover). It has a +4 AC bonus and +4 to Reflex. You can give the Reaper the following special commands. The Reaper has threatening reach, allowing it to make opportunity attacks against targets within its reach of 2. Any creature that dies by a Reapers attack allows the reaper to regain a number of Hit points equal to your Healing surge value.
Standard Action: Melee 2; target one creature; Intelligence vs. Reflex; 4d8 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage and if the target dies by this attack the Reaper does an additional 5 + Cha modifier damage with attacks until the end of your next turn.
Opportunity Attack: Melee 2; target one creature; Intelligence vs. Reflex; 4d8 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic

Corpse Titan
bones and dead flesh gather together, rising up… and up… and up… until a towering behemoth stands before you, ready to crush your enemies beneath its mighty fists.
Standard Action Personal
Effect: You conjure a Corpse Titan that lasts until the end of your next turn. The Corpse Titan uses you as the origin square for the attacks its makes. It can make the following the attack once per round as long as it is conjured.
Free Action Burst 3 within Range 20
Hit: 5d6 + Intelligence modifier Psychic damage and target is knocked prone.
Miss: Half damage.
Sustain Minor: The Corpse Titan persists.

Storm of Souls
a great swathe of howling ghosts and specters sweeps across the land, gathering up the souls of the living to join them.
Daily, Shadow, Implement, Necrotic, Psychic, Zone
Standard Action Close burst 8
Hit: 5d8 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic and Psychic damage
Effect: You make a zone of tortured souls and specters. The Zone lasts until the end of your next turn. Any enemy that starts or ends its turn in the zone takes 2d8 + Int modifier damage and the target slides your Int modifier squares.

Raise The Blood Moon
a gibbous orb raises as darkness falls across the battlefield. Beneath its bloody light, the bodies of those who die rise again at your command.
Daily, Shadow, Implement, Stance, Summoning
Minor Action, Personal
Effect: Any creature that is reduced to 0 hit points within 10 squares the allows the caster as a Immediate Reaction to raise a Blood Zombie on the square that triggered this power. Each Blood Zombie is treated as its own summon and do not take a Healing surge when it dies.
You summon a Medium Blood Zombie. The Blood Zombie has a speed of 6. It has a +4 AC bonus and +4 to Fortitude save. You can give the Blood Zombie the following special commands.
Standard Action: Melee 1; target one creature; Intelligence vs. AC; 3d10 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage and target is knocked prone.
Opportunity Attack: Melee 1; target one creature; Intelligence vs. AC; 3d10 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic and the target is knocked prone.
With Corruptor, do you think we should go for 1/2 Necromancer's Charisma mod, which can get rather confusing, or make it a simple [amount]/[tier] deal? Like, +2 at Heroic, +3 at Paragon, +4 at Epic?

A damage boost for Phantasmagorist sounds alright to me.

It took a little deciphering to figure out, but yes, a feature to boost the Hit Points of Summons is a must, considering that this class relies so heavily upon them. Hmm... additionally, or instead (I'm not sure which is better), what about a "power feature", ala Cantrips or Divine Challenge? An innate ability of the Necromancer to heal its summoned creatures?

Just to list the features we have so far...
Ritual Caster
Secrets of the Black Arts (Corruption/Phantasms feature)
"Summon Augmentation"
"Heal Summons"(?)

...Yeah, I think we may have all the features that this class will need, what do you think?
With Corruptor, do you think we should go for 1/2 Necromancer's Charisma mod, which can get rather confusing, or make it a simple [amount]/[tier] deal? Like, +2 at Heroic, +3 at Paragon, +4 at Epic?

The reason I wanted to use ½ Cha modifier as the bonus is to reward Corruptors to have a high Cha stat. You would be correct that just a flat tier bonus is easier to understand and balance out; it’s just what would be the reward for Corruptors who have high Cha?

It took a little deciphering to figure out, but yes, a feature to boost the Hit Points of Summons is a must, considering that this class relies so heavily upon them. Hmm... additionally, or instead (I'm not sure which is better), what about a "power feature", ala Cantrips or Divine Challenge? An innate ability of the Necromancer to heal its summoned creatures?

I like the idea of a power feature, but the big question is how would the power work? The easy answer is that you can spend a healing surge and the target summons regains healing surge hit points. If we do that then a larger issue comes about, healing surges and how little controllers get of them. Summons already take a healing surge away when it dies and now we add a power that also draws on the little resources that we have. Also like our hp, healing surges derive from Con and since we are a controller our stock of healing surges are very slim, not to mention using surges for our own health as well. Even if we phrase the power to not work on healing surges, it doesn’t change the fact that we are a surge loving class that has little surges to love.

"Summon Augmentation"

What would be the Summon Augmentations?
"Summon Augmentations" was my makeshift title for you "Summons have more health than would normally be the case" feature.

To be honest, I hadn't thought about the "healing feature" taking healing surges at all. These were the formats that occured to me:

At Will
Standard Action
One of your Summons gains hit points equal to your Int modifier
Possible special option; the feature can instead key off of the "resonance" ability (Charisma for Corruptors, Wisdom for Phantasmagorists)

Encounter
Minor Action
One of your Summons gains hit points equal to your healing surge amount

Hmm... are you suggesting that the Necromancer should get more healing surges than the average Controller? If you are, then I'd agree with that... come to think of it, the Druid gets 7 + Con mod surges per day, and it's a Controller, so I think we could justify the Necromancer having 7, maybe even 8 + Con surges per day, especially seeing as how it makes just as much use of them as the Druid, but doesn't have Con as a favored stat.
"Summon Augmentations" was my makeshift title for you "Summons have more health than would normally be the case" feature.

Ah okay.

To be honest, I hadn't thought about the "healing feature" taking healing surges at all. These were the formats that occured to me:

At Will
Standard Action
One of your Summons gains hit points equal to your Int modifier
Possible special option; the feature can instead key off of the "resonance" ability (Charisma for Corruptors, Wisdom for Phantasmagorists)

I feel like its to small of a hit points to regain if you spending a whole standard action to do it. At will may be to much.

Encounter
Minor Action
One of your Summons gains hit points equal to your healing surge amount

Its equal to the 12th level Bonded Summoner spell, which may be a problem.

Hmm... are you suggesting that the Necromancer should get more healing surges than the average Controller? If you are, then I'd agree with that... come to think of it, the Druid gets 7 + Con mod surges per day, and it's a Controller, so I think we could justify the Necromancer having 7, maybe even 8 + Con surges per day, especially seeing as how it makes just as much use of them as the Druid, but doesn't have Con as a favored stat.

I agree on 8 healing surges and will change the skeleton of the class to reflect that.
Hmm... so, do you think a healing feature is a good one at all, or should it be dumped? If it is an idea worth pursuing, what about this?

Encounter
Minor Action
One of your Summons regains Int modifier + Level hit points (or perhaps Int modifier + [Resonance Ability] modifier hitpoints?)
Let me try this out and see what you think of it.

I personally like the idea of using your own healing surges to fuel the power so I thought maybe:
Dread Vitality
Dread Vitality
Encounter (Special) Shadow, Healing
Special: You can use this power twice per encounter, but only once per round. At 16th level, you can use this power three time per encounter.
Minor Action Range 10
Target: One creature you have summoned
Effect: You can spend one healing surge but do not regain any hit points, instead your summon regains an amount of hit points equal to your healing surge value + your Int modifier.

This way it doesn’t make the paragon path power worthless because it feeds off of your healing surges. I would imagine that you could have a Heroic tier feat that would allow you to add you’re “Resonance” bonus to this healing power for your summons.

On another note I like the idea of the tiered attack bonus for summons, but instead of having it as the Corpse Necromancer class feature just make it a class feat. I have an Idea that would reward the high Cha Corpse Necromancer that would make them play well with summons.

Secrets of the Dark Arts:
Path of the False Life: You determine the amount of healing surges you have by using your Cha modifier or Con modifier, which ever is higher.
Path of Reaping Life: You may add your Wis modifier to damage to any attack power with the conjuration keyword.

This and the healing power would make the Corpse Necromancer the better at summoning and the Phantasm Necromancer a striker-ish character.
Those look good, yes, they both look very good. Now, we just need to write up the "Increased Summons Health" feature, and then we have all of the Necromancer's features ready and I believe it's on to the powers?

Speaking of which, would one suitable At-Will be something like "Scream of Pain"? Basically, you invoke a tortured soul that promptly shrieks in agony before slipping back into the Shadowfell, which manifests in game terms as a Close Blast of damage. Though... Thunder? Or Psychic? or even Necrotic? Also, what if this power resonates with the Path of Reaping Life, which allows you to make it a ranged blast (say, Bast 3 within 5 squares? While otherwise it's just Blast 3?), which ties into the theme that the Path of Reaping Life specialises in calling upon the spirits of the dead?

Also, I've been thinking about your proposed "Grafter"; what if we make it into two Paragon Paths? The Necromancer gets a "caster" version, where the Necromancer grafts undead body parts to themselves in order to strengthen their connection to the Shadowfell, while the Baneblade gets a "slayer" version, where they replace and augment bodyparts with undead grafts in order to become more lethal in close combat?
Those look good, yes, they both look very good. Now, we just need to write up the "Increased Summons Health" feature, and then we have all of the Necromancer's features ready and I believe it's on to the powers?

I don't know a good name for it but I would imagine it would be 5 + half level bonus hit points or something. Oh are you going to edit the second post to include the classes or do you want me to just edit my post with the changes?

Speaking of which, would one suitable At-Will be something like "Scream of Pain"? Basically, you invoke a tortured soul that promptly shrieks in agony before slipping back into the Shadowfell, which manifests in game terms as a Close Blast of damage. Though... Thunder? Or Psychic? or even Necrotic? Also, what if this power resonates with the Path of Reaping Life, which allows you to make it a ranged blast (say, Bast 3 within 5 squares? While otherwise it's just Blast 3?), which ties into the theme that the Path of Reaping Life specialises in calling upon the spirits of the dead?

It would be thunder since thunder more or less equals sonic damage. It would be cool if we did that, but that would go against all the class build structures because only encounter powers get the path like bonuses.

Also, I've been thinking about your proposed "Grafter"; what if we make it into two Paragon Paths? The Necromancer gets a "caster" version, where the Necromancer grafts undead body parts to themselves in order to strengthen their connection to the Shadowfell, while the Baneblade gets a "slayer" version, where they replace and augment bodyparts with undead grafts in order to become more lethal in close combat?

Sounds great to me. I am glad you like the stuff that I am posting, but feel free to change any of the name you don't like or if you think of name that sounds better.
Hmm... for the health boost feature (I like the rules you came up for it, by the way), what about "Secrets of Binding Life"?

Can you edit your post with the Necromancer class details to include the features?

Actually, there are classes where the At-Wills can get "path benefits", but I think that's reserved for Strikers; the Warlock and the Sorcerer, particularly the latter, are the best examples.

Alright, so, are we ready to begin work on the At-Will powers now?
Hmm... for the health boost feature (I like the rules you came up for it, by the way), what about "Secrets of Binding Life"?

Thanks, and the name sounds good enough to me.

Can you edit your post with the Necromancer class details to include the features?

Sure

Actually, there are classes where the At-Wills can get "path benefits", but I think that's reserved for Strikers; the Warlock and the Sorcerer, particularly the latter, are the best examples.

Ah, well I stand corrected then. Thanks for setting it straight with me and if you want the riders on the at-wills then I will be fine with it.

Alright, so, are we ready to begin work on the At-Will powers now?

Sure, just post your idea for them and I will get to work editing in the class features and such.
Alright then... I'm going to need your help turning any powers I come up with from concept to reality- I'm not very good at statting them.

Agonized Screams
A tortured shade momentarily slips into existence at your side, wailing its pain before fading away.
*Hmm... perhaps this should do Psychic damage or Necrotic damage (it is a Ghost's attack, after all, and I'm pretty sure that Psychic/Necrotic are the usual damages for hauntings in Open Grave)? At the very least, it makes it distinct from Thunderwave.
*Also, should we allow for At-Wills to have path benefits, or not?

Deathly Agent
With a click of your fingers, a minor spirit materializes from the Shadowfell, racing through the air to deliver death's icy touch to your foe.
*I'm thinking this might be the Necromancer's "magic missile"; a single target power, possibly ranged basic attack, and dealing Necrotic damage

Grasping Claws
Ghoulish, spectral limbs reach out from the darkness or the very air to rake and tear at a foe with their icy touch, pulling them this way and that.
*Cold damage, single target and Slide, that's what this power says to me.

Hmm... would Conjuration and/or Summoning be allowed at this level? Because one At-Will that occurs to me is something I tenatively call Eye of the Reaper, which creates a zone of... Necrotic damage? Weakness? Not sure, but it it's a Conjuration effect centered around a kind of "death totem" (which is whatever the caster wants it to be; a shrouded figure watching silently, a floating skull that laughs maniacally whenever a blow is struck, you get the idea).
Uh, just to let you know, I'll probably take a while to respond to your next post- I don't know where you are, but I'm in Australia and, as I post this, it's quarter to 9 in the morning and I need to go to an appointment. Go ahead and post; I'll respond when I get back.

Out of curiosity, do you think you can try and think up three more At-Will concepts? I was thinking that, to begin with, we'd settle for 6 At-Wills and 3 powers for each level thereafter as a base for classes- once we have at least that many, we can then focus on expanding the power list.
Agonized Screams
A tortured shade momentarily slips into existence at you side, wailing in pain before fading away.
At-Will Shadow, Implement, Psychic
Target: All Creatures in Burst
Effect: 1d8 + Intelligence modifier

Deathly Agent
With a click of you fingers, a minor spirit materializes from the Shadowfell to slowly deliver death to your foe
At-Will Shadow, Implement, Necrotic
Effect: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage and creature takes 5 ongoing Necrotic damage (Save ends)
Special: This power counts as a ranged basic attack. When a power allows you to make a ranged basic attack, you can use this power.

Grasping Claw
At-Will Shadow, Implement, Cold, Necrotic
Effect: 1d8 + Intelligence modifier cold damage and you may slide the target 2 squares.

Do these look okay to you?
Sure I had some ideas on some at-wills so I would be glad to post them as well. I hope your appointment goes well.
Not bad, but why did you change the fluff? Just out of curiosity? Also, does Deathly Agent deal Necrotic damage as its initial damage, or untyped damage followed by ongoing necrotic damage?

Okay, what do you think of my thoughts concerning powers/level for us? And do you think you can try and think up three more At-Will concepts for us to play around with while I'm gone?
Not bad, but why did you change the fluff? Just out of curiosity? Also, does Deathly Agent deal Necrotic damage as its initial damage, or untyped damage followed by ongoing necrotic damage?

The second one had its fluff changed to include the idea that it slowly killing the foe. The thirds fluff was just a mistake of my fast typing, same with mistake on the Death Agent because it should deal Necrotic damage as well. I will change it after this post.

Okay, what do you think of my thoughts concerning powers/level for us? And do you think you can try and think up three more At-Will concepts for us to play around with while I'm gone?

Sure, I will get on it right away and maybe we should do 6 at wills and 4 powers per level for a good solid base.
Skeletal Guard
You conjure an armored skeleton to strike at nearby foes and ward off incoming attacks.
At-Will Shadow, Conjuration, Implement, Necrotic
Standard Action Close Burst 1
Effect: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage and you gain a +2 bonus to AC until the end of your next turn.

Visage of the fallen
You conjure a visage of the fallen to weighs your enemy with memories of past victims.
At-Will Shadow, Conjuration, Implement, Psychic, Zone
Effect: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier Psychic damage, target is slowed until the end of your next turn and the squares adjacent to the target become a zone that lasts until the end of your next turn. Any enemy that enters the zone or starts its turn there is slowed until the end of your next turn.

Rot Zombie
You raise a rot zombie to explode, leaving foes on the ground covered in pus and disease
At-Will Shadow, Implement, Poison, Summoning
Standard Action Range 10
Effect: You summon a Medium Rot Zombie in the unoccupied square within range. The Rot zombie has a speed of 6, 1 hp and lasts until the end of your next turn. You can give the rot zombie the following special commands.
Free action or duration ends: Detonates the rot zombie, killing it without taking a healing surge. Close burst 1; targets all creatures in burst; 1d8 + Intelligence modifier poison damage and targets are knocked prone.
Killed by enemy: Detonates the rot zombie, killing it does take a healing surge; Close burst 1; targets all creatures in burst; 1d8 + Intelligence modifier poison damage and targets are knocked prone.

Okay here are the 3 I came up with, let me know how they are and I will be back later.
Skeletal Guard and Visage of the Fallen look alright, but what about making Rot Zombie into an actual Summoning? It's a weak thing, but you aren't really intending for it to act like 'real' Summons- when you've got it into the position you want it, you can spend a free action to detonate it in the Poison burst you initially created, and such a 'detonation' doesn't cost you the healing surge the death of a summons normally would. In fact, what if the Rot Zombie dying at enemy hands also results in it exploding as if detonated? Though, this time, you do lose a healing surge?
Alright I will edit the post with your ideas in mind. If you are not satisfied with the current 3 I posted then I would be more than willing to think up some more to try.
Nice work! I didn't really think it would be possible for my suggestions to work, but thank you for proving me wrong!

So, on to the Level 1 Encounter powers now, eh? Hmm... I think I may have the basics...

Watcher in the Dark
A ghastly, silent figure seeps into the material world. Beneath its unearthly gaze, enemies find the life bleeding from their bodies.

I'm thinking this is a Conjuration with a Zone effect, sustain as a minor action, which causes necrotic damage to all creatures that end their turn in the zone. What do you think?

Ghoul's Garden
Dozens of rotting hands spring forth from the earth, groping and scrabbling blindly at the sky.

I'm not sure if this would also be a Conjuration, but it's definately a sustainable (minor action) Zone. I was thinking that this Zone counts as Difficult Terrain, and any enemy who enters it takes damage equal to... Intelligence modifer, perhaps?
Watcher in the Dark
Standard Action Area burst 1 within 10 squares
Target: All enemies in burst
Hit: 2d6 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic damage.
Effect: The burst creates a zone of dark energy that lasts until the end of your next turn. Each creature that enters the zone gains Necrotic vulnerability 5 until the end of you next turn.
Sustain Minor: The Zone persists

Summon Pyre Golem
Gathering a handful of ashes from a funeral pyre in your hand, you blow them into the air, whereupon they billow and ignite into a blazing humanoid figure of flames, cinders and blackened bone fragments. The air around it is thick with choking ashes and the stench of burning flesh.
Daily, Shadow, Implement, Fire, Necrotic, Summoning
Standard Action Range 10
Effect: You summon a Medium Pyre Golem in the unoccupied square within range. The Pyre Golem has a speed of 6. It has a +2 AC bonus and a special aura listed below. You can give the Pyre Golem the following special commands.
Standard Action: Melee 1; target one creature; Intelligence vs. AC; 1d6 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic and Fire damage.
Opportunity Attack: Melee 1; target one creature; Intelligence vs. AC; 1d6 + Intelligence modifier Necrotic and Fire damage.
Ash Aura: aura 1; each creature that ends its turn within the aura takes a -2 to attack rolls until the end of your next turn.

I will say they both tred on the same ground and are very similar to Grasping Shadows.
I see your point. Which of them do you think can be salvaged into something worthwhile?
I am not sure; which ever one you feel most tied too is fine with me. I can rework it too fit, but then again I want this class to do more than is a wizard clone so I will try to think up some powers as well. In the end you are the head of this ship and if you feel strongly for the two then we can go with them.
Hmm... how about we stick with Watcher in the Dark? But what else can we do to make it unique... hmm... perhaps enemies in the zone also take more damage from attacks?

I do have a Summoning idea, too, but I'm not sure whether it'd be Encounter or Daily, never mind its actual level. Shall I elaborate?