Fireclave's Guide to 4e Race Mechanic Creation

186 posts / 0 new
Last post
Would you consider acting as an at-will light source to be a major ability, or a minor one? It has a definite mechanical advantage, but the value of this advantage seems debatable.

I would say a minor ability but really it could depend, like how long does it last? how bright is it? could you blind people with it? that might notch it up to a major ability or an encounter power, in my opinion.
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
Also, random side not, Githzerai can be added to the list of races that are are perfectly designed.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
Oh, there's blinding potential, but that's a separate racial power I'm working on.

Right now, my question involves a simple 5-square radius light source, suppress at will, centered on the character that I'm debating.

It does free up a player's hand from torches or the like in dark areas, but that seems both mild and situational as an advantage. I added the ability to suppress the light source so the race was still viable as a stealthy character and did not penalize the player.
Oh, there's blinding potential, but that's a separate racial power I'm working on.

Right now, my question involves a simple 5-square radius light source, suppress at will, centered on the character that I'm debating.

It does free up a player's hand from torches or the like in dark areas, but that seems both mild and situational as an advantage. I added the ability to suppress the light source so the race was still viable as a stealthy character and did not penalize the player.

In my opinion, yeah i would say a minor ability.
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
ok ive got the rough draft of my race done. what do you think? thought about changin up the skill bonus seeing as how they would get bonuses to those skills any way because of thier stat bonuses but they way i see it those skill would be what these guys are best at.

Karthons
Ability Score:
+2 Str, +2 Con
Size: Medium
Speed: 6
Vision: Low-light

Languages: Common
Skill Bonuses: +2 Athletics, +2 Endurance
Karthon Will: +1 racial bonus to Wil. Once per encounter you can reroll a failed save vs. a charm effect.
Karthon Durability: Increase Number of healing Surges by 1
Knuckle spikes: Karthons have extended claw-like knuckles. Increase unarmed damage to 1d6

Racial Power:
Adaptive Defense
Encounter
Immediate Reaction

Trigger: You take damage from a specific damage type
Effect: You gain resist 5 + 1/2 your level against that damage type until the end of the encounter.

Not sure about the vs charm thing either. I wanted to have something in there as a defense against charm but didnt just want to copy the Eladrins.
Opinions any body? is it balanced? should i trim a few things?
Special Thanx to Fireclave (great guide) and Crimson Concerto for their insights and helpful suggestions.
Well, let me point out a few things:
-Regarding Karthon Will, you can just make it so the player can make saving throws against charm at the beginning of the turn instead of at the end.
-Knuckle Spikes, as it's been many times before, should be instead a feat. Why? Because it's too class-situational.
-And about Adaptative Defense, I believe that power is just about the same as Variable Resistance (except that it's triggered by an attack).

You should replace Knuckle Spikes with something else, and maybe change the racial power for Variable Resistance.

(And I still think Karthon Durability is too weak... ¬_¬)
Well, let me point out a few things:
-Regarding Karthon Will, you can just make it so the player can make saving throws against charm at the beginning of the turn instead of at the end.
-Knuckle Spikes, as it's been many times before, should be instead a feat. Why? Because it's too class-situational.
-And about Adaptative Defense, I believe that power is just about the same as Variable Resistance (except that it's triggered by an attack).

You should replace Knuckle Spikes with something else, and maybe change the racial power for Variable Resistance.

(And I still think Karthon Durability is too weak... ¬_¬)

Thanx for the input. Nice idea regarding karthon will i may use that. I do realize the the improved unarmed damage is entirely situation and completly useless to someone with a bastard sword but still they got claws they should get something in there startin out. I was thinkin of expanded on that with racial feats like more damge perhaps a profiency bonus or something.
You think the Durability is too weak? i was kinda thinkin that too. The original version had regeneration but i think thats a little too much. perhaps just give them the Durability feat as a bonus? I dont know i like the Adaptive defense being that you have to take damage before you can resist it. I guess that is kinda limiting. I dont know i may change it to a specific damage type and perhaps have racial feats to choose other resistances? Thanx again for the input. This is still very much a work-in-progress.
Instead of extra healing surges would it be too much to give them regeneration 5/10 at 21st level? Thoughts anyone?

I think I would count that as a minor. I figure that most adventures happen in places people can see, whether due to the enviroment or the forethought of the players to bring light sources. It's use is overall situational and, as you mentioned, the major advantage is freeing up a hand in dark places. And at a 1 square radius, it doesn't even negate the need for a better lightsource for combat purposes.

Kinda weak and a bit boring. I would either attach some other secondary, more interesting, effect to Durability or at least up the bonus healing surges to 2.

Knuckle spikes: Karthons have extended claw-like knuckles. Increase unarmed damage to 1d6

Very weaksause. A single die size is not much of an increase, and the attacks are still without a profinecy bonus, so even melee-oriented character wouldn't have much use for them. But as was mentioned above, "natural weapons" really should be a feat.

Racial Power:
Adaptive Defense
Encounter
Immediate Reaction
Effect: You gain resist 5 + 1/2 your level against that damage type until the end of the encounter.

...I dont know i like the Adaptive defense being that you have to take damage before you can resist it. I guess that is kinda limiting. I dont know i may change it to a specific damage type and perhaps have racial feats to choose other resistances? Thanx again for the input. This is still very much a work-in-progress.

I'm not so well verse with monster entries, so I don't know how well the ability would work against elemental themed creatures. As is, its potentionally resistance against every elemental type, which is crazy good when it applies, even if you have to get hit first assuming the battle last more than a few rounds. However, it is useless against non-elemental users and is a rather static ability.

Just an idea, but perhaps instead of triggering a reaction when hit by a damage-keyworded attack, you instead make the power more general in nature in both trigger and effect; for example, an immediate interupt that grants a bonus against any triggering attack. Then, make the elemental resistance a secondary effect that last for one or more rounds (instead of the whole encounter).

That would make the power more useful in general while keeping the elemental resistance theme.

Instead of extra healing surges would it be too much to give them regeneration 5/10 at 21st level? Thoughts anyone?

Always-on regen? Yes, it would be too much. Compare such an ability to what Longtooth Shifters get. They not only get less regen (starts at 2, maxes at 6 at 21st), but requires them to be bloodied first, and Longtooth Shifting is their only racial ability. But even then it's a very good one.
Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.
Show
ok ive got the rough draft of my race done. what do you think? thought about changin up the skill bonus seeing as how they would get bonuses to those skills any way because of thier stat bonuses but they way i see it those skill would be what these guys are best at.

Karthons
Ability Score:
+2 Str, +2 Con
Speed: 6

Skill Bonuses: +2 Athletics, +2 Endurance
Karthon Will: +1 racial bonus to Wil. Once per encounter you can reroll a failed save vs. a charm effect.

Racial Power:
Adaptive Defense
Encounter
Immediate Reaction

Not sure about the vs charm thing either. I wanted to have something in there as a defense against charm but didnt just want to copy the Eladrins.
Opinions any body? is it balanced? should i trim a few things?
Special Thanx to Fireclave (great guide) and Crimson Concerto for their insights and helpful suggestions.

I say for durability either increase it to 2 healing surges, or do a balanced version of either second wind as a free action or two second winds per encounter.

Keep knuckle spikes as a feat and add something else in there. thier fluff semms pretty cool I'm sure you can come up with a more interesting or fluff-filled ability.
Thanx for the input peoples. Yeah after lookin around on the compendium i realized the the regeneration would be too much might give them something similiar to the shifters ability or stick with bonus healing surges. like the idea of haveing 2 second winds per encounter that would do the trick too. and yeah i guess thier racial power might be a little weak i mean whats the chances of them getting hit with the same damage type twice in an encounter especially if the enemy knows ok these guys have this racial ability so use a different attack now. I was thinkin about givin them a resistince to a paticular energy type like the Tieflings, like okay these guys fought alot of Necromancers back in the day so give them resist Necrotic as the racial power and then have other resistances as feats or something.I know what i what these guys capable of, im just not sure how it fit it in with 4e mechanics. Thanx again for the input.. back to the drawing board :D
Thanx for the input peoples. Yeah after lookin around on the compendium i realized the the regeneration would be too much might give them something similiar to the shifters ability or stick with bonus healing surges. like the idea of haveing 2 second winds per encounter that would do the trick too. and yeah i guess thier racial power might be a little weak i mean whats the chances of them getting hit with the same damage type twice in an encounter especially if the enemy knows ok these guys have this racial ability so use a different attack now. I was thinkin about givin them a resistince to a paticular energy type like the Tieflings, like okay these guys fought alot of Necromancers back in the day so give them resist Necrotic as the racial power and then have other resistances as feats or something.I know what i what these guys capable of, im just not sure how it fit it in with 4e mechanics. Thanx again for the input.. back to the drawing board :D

Were they seen as more resistant to physical or mental affects of spells? what was thier defining resistance? Like "they resist all spells but thier resistnace to 'X' was thier most importnant or Iconic resistance" Depedning on the answer there are several racial abilities options and feat lines to back them up.
Were they seen as more resistant to physical or mental affects of spells? what was thier defining resistance? Like "they resist all spells but thier resistnace to 'X' was thier most importnant or Iconic resistance" Depedning on the answer there are several racial abilities options and feat lines to back them up.

In previous editions they just had a general magic resistance, or spell resistance as it was in 3.xe. That mechanic seems dificult to transfer to 4e. I think i should just pick a damage type and go with that. Im thinkin of Necrotic as Necromancers were a main enemy of these guys a few ages ago during this big mage war that was goin on. Im thinkin of a Force resistance too as in my mind that fits in with a "general" magic type. I still like the idea of a Varible resistance but i dont want it to be highly situational as i have it now.
In previous editions they just had a general magic resistance, or spell resistance as it was in 3.xe. That mechanic seems dificult to transfer to 4e. I think i should just pick a damage type and go with that. Im thinkin of Necrotic as Necromancers were a main enemy of these guys a few ages ago during this big mage war that was goin on. Im thinkin of a Force resistance too as in my mind that fits in with a "general" magic type. I still like the idea of a Varible resistance but i dont want it to be highly situational as i have it now.

The reason I ask is because you can set it up this way:

As an ability give them resist 5 necrotic and resist 5 force, scaling it to 10 and 15 with the tiers. Then introduce the Racial feat:

True resistance
Choose one: pscychic, fire, cold, acid, lightning, thunder or radient.
You add resist 5 for the chosen damage type to your racial resistances. Increase to 10 at 11th, to 15 at 21st.
Special: you may take this feat more than once.

You could also try out these:
Formidable Resistances:
Increase all of your racial resistances (inculding those from True resistance) by 2

Trained Resistances
Choose one: Fear, Illusion, charm, sleep, or poison.
You get a +5 feat bonus to saving throws against your choice.
Special: You may take this feat more than once.

**If these are horribly unbalanced, anyone whom is better at judging these things then I am polease offer your input/improvments.**
yeah those are some good ideas. i like the resistance 5+ 1/2 level myself like the tieflings instead of scaling by tier. but that might be a little too much with multiple resistances. thanks again for the input.
I have a few questions to bring up.

Are any of the alternate forms of vision okay for a race to have? For example Blind sight, or Tremor sense?

What about alternate forms of movement like Swim, Climb or Burrow speeds?

Would it be too powerful to give races a specific superior weapon proficiency feat instead of the normal racial proficiency too make the racial proficiencies worth while? If you did give a race one specific superior weapon proficiency, would it still be a minor ability since you can’t choose the weapon or would it become a Major ability.

I was also working on an Ooze like race and it would have this Ooze form racial power as major ability. Is this really broken?

Ooze Form
At-will, Polymorph
Minor Action, Personal
Effect: Your body turns into an ooze like form which lasts until the end of your next turn. In this form you move your full speed when squeezing and you do not grant combat advantage or provoke attacks of opportunity attacks while squeezing. In addition all your items sink into your form allowing you to squeeze into spaces as small 1 inch in height. While you are in this form you gain a +2 to defenses against opportunity attacks, but you can’t use any attack powers. You can end this form early as a minor action.
Sustain Minor: The power persists.

Also would it be too farfetched to make a Swarm race? It could have a racial power to gain the benefits of the swarm keyword temporarily.

Any feedback would be great.
Are any of the alternate forms of vision okay for a race to have? For example Blind sight, or Tremor sense?

Both are likely inappropriate on a PC race. If your race can conceptually function without them, then it's best you go with that, and if your race can't conceptually function without them, then it's probably not conceptually appropriate as a PC race anyways. You might be able to get away with including it as an encounter racial powers, granting the special vision until the end of your next turn or something like that, but even then, the range should definitely be very limited.

What about alternate forms of movement like Swim, Climb or Burrow speeds?

Climb and Burrow can be just as bad as fly in many scenarios, so they're to be avoided unless, again, they're being granted only for one move via an encounter racial power. You might even have further problems with Burrow because of how that interacts with dungeon walls, floors, and ceilings. As for a Swim speed, I really can't think of how it could be abused, but it's still difficult to balance because the usefulness of a swim speed is heavily based on campaign style. There will be campaigns when you never make use of that swim speed so you'll be underpowered and campaigns were having a swim speed makes them overpowered. It's really best just to avoid it...

Would it be too powerful to give races a specific superior weapon proficiency feat instead of the normal racial proficiency too make the racial proficiencies worth while?

No, it wouldn't be overpowered, but you still shouldn't do it. That sort of feature is exactly like the Half-Orc Swift Charge; it's awesome for some classes and completely useless to most others, and that's bad design. Even normal racial weapon proficiencies as they are now are not a very well designed idea, but at least now they're mostly equally useless to everybody.

I was also working on an Ooze like race and it would have this Ooze form racial power as major ability. Is this really broken?

Ooze Form
At-will, Polymorph
Minor Action, Personal
Effect: Your body turns into an ooze like form which lasts until the end of your next turn. In this form you move your full speed when squeezing and you do not grant combat advantage or provoke attacks of opportunity attacks while squeezing. In addition all your items sink into your form allowing you to squeeze into spaces as small 1 inch in height. While you are in this form you gain a +2 to defenses against opportunity attacks, but you can’t use any attack powers. You can end this form early as a minor action.
Sustain Minor: The power persists.

My only question is why is this a racial power? It sounds to me like you could easily pull off half of these benefits being just plain old racial features that are always active:

Gelatinous Contortion: When you take a move action to squeeze, you can move up to your speed instead of only up to half your speed. You do not grant combat advantage when you squeeze.

And then turn the rest into a better racial encounter power:

Oozing Shift
Encounter
Move Action Personal
Effect:
You can shift up to your speed. During this movement, you ignore difficult terrain, you can move through enemy squares, and all of your items sink into your form such that you can compress your body enough to squeeze through a 1-inch-wide crack, so cracks and other openings that are more than 1 inch wide do not slow you down at all. If you do not end this movement in a square that you could occupy, then you return to the most recent square you moved though that you could occupy.

Putting all of that into an at-will polymorph power is just clumsy and mechanically confusing, and being able to move through spaces so small at-will can prove problematic to the point where your DM will eventually just decide the ne needs to make it useless and from then on all cracks will be half an inch wide. In fact, even being able to do it once per encounter could theoretically be problematic. Remember all the commotion way back at the beginning of 4E when people realize that a normal prison could not hold an Eladrin? Of course, we all later found out that all one needs to prevent that is a blindfold, so that ended okay, but this is a little different...

Also would it be too farfetched to make a Swarm race? It could have a racial power to gain the benefits of the swarm keyword temporarily.

A race that's always a swarm would be overpowered. That's half damage from all melee and ranged attacks, immunity to forced movement due to melee and ranged attacks, never provoke opportunity attack for moving through enemy squares, and of course you can always move through spaces about an inch wide...

Even in the form of an encounter racial power, I don't see how you could pull this off very well. At best, I could see the racial power functioning... almost exactly the same as the ooze power above, actually...

And as a general response to everything you've said... It's really just best if you don't. :P
Seriously, your homebrew races will be cooler if you just make them cool yourself and don't try to rely on mechanical gimmicks like these to make them cool for you. I'm not saying that relying on gimmicks to make your race cool is what you're doing; I'm just saying that a lot of people do that, and this is sort of what it looks like...

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
And as a general response to everything you've said... It's really just best if you don't. :P
Seriously, your homebrew races will be cooler if you just make them cool yourself and don't try to rely on mechanical gimmicks like these to make them cool for you. I'm not saying that relying on gimmicks to make your race cool is what you're doing; I'm just saying that a lot of people do that, and this is sort of what it looks like...

Well I asked these questions not to be gimmicky, its just the races I wanted to homebrew had the fluff to back up these types of abilities. So it didn’t start out with me wanting to have these “gimmicky” things and build the race around it, I actually wanted. Have cool races that just happened to have these abilities to back up the fluff.

I do thank you for answering my questions.
Both are likely inappropriate on a PC race. If your race can conceptually function without them, then it's best you go with that, and if your race can't conceptually function without them, then it's probably not conceptually appropriate as a PC race anyways. You might be able to get away with including it as an encounter racial powers, granting the special vision until the end of your next turn or something like that, but even then, the range should definitely be very limited.

After reading over Tremor-sense, would Tremor-sense 5 really be that bad?
I think it would be an apt Major ability and be flavorful for any Earth themed races. One of the races I had in mind would be like a playable Galeb Duhr. I agree that Blindsight would be better as a racial encounter power since it negates the Blinded condition.

Climb and Burrow can be just as bad as fly in many scenarios, so they're to be avoided unless, again, they're being granted only for one move via an encounter racial power. You might even have further problems with Burrow because of how that interacts with dungeon walls, floors, and ceilings. As for a Swim speed, I really can't think of how it could be abused, but it's still difficult to balance because the usefulness of a swim speed is heavily based on campaign style. There will be campaigns when you never make use of that swim speed so you'll be underpowered and campaigns were having a swim speed makes them overpowered. It's really best just to avoid it...

Hmm so the former are better as powers I guess then. What if you gave a small bonus along with the swim speed to make up for the fact that it’s so situational.

No, it wouldn't be overpowered, but you still shouldn't do it. That sort of feature is exactly like the Half-Orc Swift Charge; it's awesome for some classes and completely useless to most others, and that's bad design. Even normal racial weapon proficiencies as they are now are not a very well designed idea, but at least now they're mostly equally useless to everybody.

Okay I see what you mean; the weapon proficiency would still go to waste for Implement users. I am going to go out on a limb but what if the race was so intoned with the weapon they got they could use it as an Implement for the first implement using class they take. That way it works for all classes but since it only applies to first implement using class they take, the player couldn’t abuse it as a implement for all their classes.

My only question is why is this a racial power? It sounds to me like you could easily pull off half of these benefits being just plain old racial features that are always active:

Gelatinous Contortion: When you take a move action to squeeze, you can move up to your speed instead of only up to half your speed. You do not grant combat advantage when you squeeze.

And then turn the rest into a better racial encounter power:

Oozing Shift
Encounter
Move Action Personal
Effect:
You can shift up to your speed. During this movement, you ignore difficult terrain, you can move through enemy squares, and all of your items sink into your form such that you can compress your body enough to squeeze through a 1-inch-wide crack, so cracks and other openings that are more than 1 inch wide do not slow you down at all. If you do not end this movement in a square that you could occupy, then you return to the most recent square you moved though that you could occupy.

Putting all of that into an at-will polymorph power is just clumsy and mechanically confusing, and being able to move through spaces so small at-will can prove problematic to the point where your DM will eventually just decide the ne needs to make it useless and from then on all cracks will be half an inch wide. In fact, even being able to do it once per encounter could theoretically be problematic. Remember all the commotion way back at the beginning of 4E when people realize that a normal prison could not hold an Eladrin? Of course, we all later found out that all one needs to prevent that is a blindfold, so that ended okay, but this is a little different...

I like what you did with the powers thanks for all the help in making it less clumsy.

A race that's always a swarm would be overpowered. That's half damage from all melee and ranged attacks, immunity to forced movement due to melee and ranged attacks, never provoke opportunity attack for moving through enemy squares, and of course you can always move through spaces about an inch wide...

Even in the form of an encounter racial power, I don't see how you could pull this off very well. At best, I could see the racial power functioning... almost exactly the same as the ooze power above, actually...

Okay I liked the idea of the encounter power for the temporary swarm keyword. I like that a player would have to think before using it, while the benefits are great you would have to weigh in the weakness to area and burst attacks.

Thanks again for taking a look at my questions.
Hey guys, I creater Medusa as a race, but I'm a little worried about its powers. They may be quite unbalanced.

MEDUSA

Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma.
Size: Medium.
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Normal

Languages: Languages: Common.
skill Bonus: +2 Intimidate, +2 Bluff.
Stone Resilience: +5 racial bonus to saving throws against petrifying.
Poison Resistance: You have resist poison 5 + one-half your level.
Gaze: You can use Petrifying Gaze, if you are female Medusa, and Venomous Gaze, if you are male Medusa, as a Daily power.

Petrifying Gaze

Daily # Gaze
Standard Action # Close Blast 5
Target: Each creature in blast.
Special: Blind creatures are immune.
Attack: Charisma +2 vs. Fortitude.
Increase to +4 bonus at 11th level, and to +6 bonus at 21th level.
Hit: The target is slowed (saves end).
First Failed Save: The target is immobilized instead of slowed (saves end).
Second Failed Save: The target is petrified (no save).

Venomous Gaze

Daily # Gaze
Standard Action # Close Blast 5
Target: Each creature in blast.
Special: Blind creatures are immune.
Attack: Charisma +2 vs. Will.
Increase to +4 bonus at 11th level, and to +6 bonus at 21th level.
Hit: 1d6 + charisma modifier poison and psychic damage, and the target is dazed and weakened (save ends both).
The damage increases to 2d6 + charisma modifier at 11th level, and to 3d6 + charisma modifier at 21st level

Ok, nice race, first of all. The only problem I've seen thus far is the racial powers. Petrifying gaze might be a bit overpowered (it's like a Sleep on steroids), and it can be a real problem to your own allies. And Venomous Gaze, well, it's like an enlarged and overpowered dragon breath, but as a daily. I think you should level it down, as dragon breath (no weakened and dazed effects), put it as an encounter, and add feats that let you add other conditions upon a hit.

Also, both powers use only Charisma as key ability. You should add a bit more versatility to that, as not all classes use Cha. Maybe add Con and Wis as possible options?
Ok, thank you for the answer.

About Venomous Gaze, yeah I think I'll take out the weak and daze conditions and put it as an encounter power. I'll let the blast 5, in exchange for the Standard Action required.

About the key abilities, I think I'll let the player have the choice between Int, Wis and Cha, For both attack and damage.

Now, about Petrifying gaze, any idea how to fix it. I mean, its a freaking Medusa, it should have a power that petrifies. Maybe if I change the Blast 5 to one target and put it as an encounter power as well?
Now, about Petrifying gaze, any idea how to fix it. I mean, its a freaking Medusa, it should have a power that petrifies. Maybe if I change the Blast 5 to one target and put it as an encounter power as well?

Full petrification in the hands of a player is going to be too powerful no matter what, racial power or no. That's basically a Save-Or-Die, and 4e has moved away from them. A better option would be to have the petrification end on a save, which would essentially make the power a racial Sleep. However, there's to issues with that:

1) You're duplicating Sleep, arguably one of the most powerful powers in the game. That's quite a more power than what a racial power should grant by default.
2) It's a daily. One of the nice things about racial powers is that they show off how cool your race is every encounter, not just one.

Instead of a full-on petrification, perhaps your race instead gets a lesser gaze attack as an encounter. Thematically, the gaze temporarily stonifies only part of the foe's body's. Mechanically, the attack inflicts a random condition: slow (legs), -2 attack (arms), -2 defenses (head), ect.

In addition, you might want to grant the above full-on (savable) petrification gaze 1/day as a racial option of some sort (standard upgrade racial feat, power substitution feat, racial paragon path, ect).
Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.

Vanara

Ability scores: +2 int +2 wis
Size: medium
Vision: normal
Languages: common, elven
Skill bonuses: +2 stealth +2 acrobatics
Tree Dweller: gain long jumper and sure climber as bonus feats even if you dont meet the prerequisites.
Monkey Business: you can use the Monkey Business as an encounter power.

Monkey Business              Vanara racial power
Your playful nature may cause your foe to make a slip up.
Encounter
immediate reaction, personal
trigger: an enemy targets you with an attack.
effect: The enemy rolls the attack twice and uses the result of your choice.

Nezumi

Ability scores: +2 dex +2 con
Size: medium
Speed: 7 squares
Vision: low-light
Languages: Common, goblin
Skill bonuses: +2 stealth +2 perception
Ratling resilience: gain +5 racial bonus on saving throws vs poison and disease.
Rat attack: Choose one of the three Nezumi racial attack powers Gnashing bite, Quick Claws or Tail Trip

Gnashing bite                Nezumi racial power
You perform a vicious bite attack against your foe, leaving him weakened.
At-will
standard action, melee touch
target: one creature
attack: dex +2 vs AC
lv 11: dex +4 vs AC
lv 21: dex +6 vs AC
hit: 1D4 +dex modifier damage and the target is weakened until end of your next turn.
lv 11: 2D4 +dex modifier damage
lv 21: 3D4 +dex modifier damage

Quick claws                   Nezumi racial power
After slashing with your main weapon you quickly strike with a clawed hand.
At-will
standard action, melee touch
target: one creature
special: you must wield a weapon in your main hand and no weapon in your off-hand
effect: make a melee basic attack using your main hand weapon, if it succeeds make a secondary attack using your off hand.
secondary attack: dex +2 vs reflex
lv 11: dex +4 vs reflex
lv 21: dex +6 vs reflex
hit: 1D4 damage
lv 11: 2D4 damage
lv 21: 3D4 damage

Tail trip                         Nezumi racial power
When a foe tries to sneak up on you, you use your tail to catch them unaware and trip them up.
Encounter
immediate reaction, melee touch
trigger: an enemy moves into a space where it flanks you
target: the triggering enemy
attack: dex +2 vs reflex
lv 11: dex +4 vs reflex
lv 21: dex +6 vs reflex
hit: dex modifier damage and the target is knocked prone. if it still has a standard action it may use it to stand up.
lv 11: 1D6 +dex modifier damage
lv 21: 2D6 +dex modifier damage

Alrighty, would like to know what people think, I think the Vanara turned out great (was thinking of having monkey business allow the vanara to shift after the attack resolved) but the Nezumi admittedly needs some work. I was inspired by the wilden's three racial powers and wanted to do something similar with 3.5 nezumi's natural weapons bite, claw, and (though not technically a natural weapon) tail spikes. in the end when i look back at what I've come up with after many alterations i could not balance them. Tail trip just seems obviously superior. I wanted to create three different and balanced powers that appealed to different classes. I'm open to suggestions.

Personally, I think giving the Vanara two bonus feats (even ones that are usually more for flavor than actual combat usefullness) is a bit too much.  Maybe giving them a choice of one or the other?

Also, while stuff like the Nezumi's Bite and Claw attacks might be flavorful, personally, I'd take just the Tail power and run with it, since it is one of the more unique aspects of the Nezumi. Props for using the 3 power angle, by the way.

Sure, some races deserve Bite or Claw attacks; see the Shifters, and Gnolls, for one.  But most of them also have the bad point of shoe-horning the race into a specific category.  See the Minotaur.  However, I think the Tail attack could work, as it seems like a nice power that is useful for most, if not all classes.

I love power. But it is as an artist that I love it. I love it as a musician loves his violin, to draw out its sounds and chords and harmonies... - Napoleon Bonaparte

I see what you mean about the nezumi powers, given a choice between the three I would always take tail trip. It had never occured to me that other races had lost their natural weapons and so having realized that it makes perfect sense to get rid of the bite and claw attack powers entirely.

The vanara I can sorta see where you're comming from but Fireclaves guidelines state give the race two significant traits and up to two other insignificant traits... so by combining the jumping and climbing I  considered "tree dweller" to be two. If we take one of them away then the vanara seems kind of underpowered. But I do see your point here and partially agree with you. Being able to jump and climb whereever you want presents a similar problem as giving a race flight. So if I take away one of those feats by making players choose between them, then i have to come up with something else to give the vanara so it doesnt seem underpowered.

At one point i considered giving the vanara athletics as a trained skill, but despite that a vanara would typically be a caster type class and not have very high strength and not have athletics on their list of class skills, I also knew that it would be problematic if vanara could climb and jump anywhere without  worrying about a roll. If anyone has any ideas of another possible race trait i can give the vanara or maybe a couple of insignificant race traits I'd like to hear what people are thinking.

I'm pretty sure these races still need loads of work, but for now, I'm happy with the Moogle, Bangaa, and Viera races, aside from a couple minor gripes with the the Moogle racial power, which irks me for some reason.  My main homebrewing base is on Giant In The Playground, at this link

VIERA
Lithe prowlers of primordial forests
Deadly warriors by any measure

Racial Traits
Average Height: 6'0" - 6' 8"
Average Weight: 145 lbs - 185 lbs

Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom
Speed: 7 Squares
Vision: Low-Light Vision
Languages: Common, Viera
Skill Bonuses: +2 Acrobatics, +2 Nature

Viera Weapon Proficiency: You gain proficiency with the Scimitar and the Longbow.

Thrill of the Hunt: When you create your character, choose Dexterity, Strength, or Wisdom. You gain a cumulative +1 bonus to Damage rolls when you receive damage while Bloodied, up to a maximum of 1 + your chosen ability's modifier. This bonus lasts till the end of the encounter or until you are no longer bloodied, at which point the bonus resets to 0.

Wild Sense: You have a +2 racial bonus to initiative checks.

Viera Mobility: You have the Viera Mobility racial power.

Viera Mobility - Viera Racial Power
You dance around your foe, harrying your opponent while you press your attack.
At-Will - Martial
Special: When you create your character, choose Dexterity, Strength, or Wisdom. You may use this power a number of times per day equal to the modifier of the ability you chose (minimum 1)
Minor Action
Personal
Effect: You shift 1 square in any direction and gain a +2 bonus to Attack rolls made against any opponent you have damaged this turn. This bonus lasts until the end of your next turn. This bonus increases to +4 at 18th level. The bonus from this ability is not cumulative

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

MOOGLE
Quirky and somewhat unstable
A strange appearance belies an uncanny intellect

Racial Traits
Average Height: 2' 10" - 3' 3"
Average Weight: 30 lbs - 55 lbs

Ability Scores: +2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma
Size: Small
Speed: 5 squares
Languages: Common, Mog, and choice of one other language
Skill Bonuses: +2 Arcana, +2 Bluff

Fey Origin: Your ancestors were native to the Fey wild, so you are considered a fey creature for the purpose of effects that relate to creature origin

Mog Ingenuity: You may halve the time it takes to cast a ritual or use an alchemical formula. All other aspects of the ritual or alchemical formula remain the same.

Wanderlust: You have a +2 racial bonus to saving throws to end the effects of Immobilize and Slow. If the effect does not normally grant a saving throw, you may make a saving throw without the +2 racial bonus to resist the effect anyway.

Flight of Fancy: You have the Flight of Fancy racial power.

Flight of Fancy - Moogle Racial Power
Leaping into the air to shake a off a foe, you come down a short distance away and shake off a debilitating effect.
Encounter
Move Action
Personal
Effect: You can Fly up to 3 squares before the end of your next turn. You may make a saving throw at the end of that movement.

BANGAA
The blood of dragons flows through their veins
Proud warriors and stalwart companions

Racial Traits
Average Height: 5'2 - 5'8"
Average Weight: 180 lbs - 230 lbs

Ability Scores: +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom
Languages: Common, Draconic, and Bangaa
Skill Bonuses: +2 Endurance, +2 Intimidate

Bangaa Weapon Proficiency: You gain proficiency with the Glaive and the Falchion.

Encumbered Speed: You move at your normal speed even when a heavy load or your armor would normally reduce it. Other effects that limit your speed (such as difficult terrain or magical effects) affect you normally.

Bangaa Tenacity: When you're bloodied, you gain a +1 racial bonus to all defenses.

Blood of Dragons: You have the Blood of Dragons racial power.

Blood of Dragons - Bangaa Racial Power
With a mighty roar, you call upon the power of your blood to lend you the strength of your ancestors.
Encounter
Personal
Minor Action
Special: You must be bloodied in order to use this power.
Effect: You spend a healing surge and also gain temporary hit points equal to your healing surge value. These temporary hit points last for 1 round + ½ your level.

NU MOU
Wise and gentle scholars
A keen mind behind a calm exterior

Racial Traits:
Average Height: 4' 3" - 4' 9"
Average Weight: 150 - 200 lbs

Ability scores: +2 Wisdom, +2 Intelligence
Languages: Common, Nu Mou, choice of one other language
Skill Bonuses: +2 Arcana, +2 Insight

Nu Mou Education: You gain training in one additional skill from your class skill list.

Arcane Heritage: You gain Resist 5 Arcane. This increases to Resist 10 at 15th level.

Trance: Rather than sleep, Nu Mou enter a meditative state known as trance. You need to spend 4 hours in this state to gain the same benefits other races gain from a 6-hour extended rest. While in a trance, you are fully aware of your surroundings and notice approaching enemies and other events as normal.

Deluge of Power: You have the Deluge of Power racial power

Deluge of Power - Nu Mou Racial Power
Tapping deep into the core of your being, you unleash a flood of energy that leaves your foes dazzled.
Encounter
Minor Action
Close burst 1
Target: Each creature in burst
Special: The origin square of this power is unaffected by Deluge of Power
Special: When you create your character, choose Intelligence, Wisdom, or Constitution as the ability to use with this power.
Attack: Intelligence, Wisdom, or Constitution + 2 vs. Reflex
Effect: Target takes damage equal to your chosen ability's modifier and is Blinded for a number of rounds equal to ½ your chosen ability's modifier.

I love power. But it is as an artist that I love it. I love it as a musician loves his violin, to draw out its sounds and chords and harmonies... - Napoleon Bonaparte

Meltheri

Ability Score: +2 one stat of players choice
Speed: 7
Skill Bonuses: +2 Endurance, +2 Nature
Defense Bonus: +1 Reflex, +1 Will
Feral Spirit: Similar to Lycanthropic humans, Meltheri are feral in spirit.  Gain +2 on checks navigating natural settings.
Pack Hunter: the Meltheri are social creatures, teaming up to survive.  Grants +1 to attack and damage rolls to allies within a close burst 5.
Racial Power: Feral Fury

Feral Fury / Racial Power
With a bloodcurling howl, the Metheri sends itself and allies into a frenzy.
Encounter ♦ Primal
Standard Close Burst 5
Targets: Allies effected by Pack Hunter
Effect: the Metheri and each of it's allies in range can make a free basic attack against a target of their choice in range at a +2 attack bonus.

I wanted to make a race that is feral and animalistic.  I personally dont like the shifters in 4E all that much, so i decided to take a shot at making a race   Be gentle as its my first shot at this lol

Well, pack hunter is overpowered. +1 to attack and damage to all allies between a close burst 5? That's too much. Also, you have to specify that this bonus doesn't stack with other pack hunters ability, otherwise a party of Meltheri would be extremely broken. And for the same matter, the racial power is overpowered. A free basic attack with a bonus to all allies? Too much.

Let me see... For the pack hunter, you can grant the Meltheri a bonus to attack or damage if it has an adjacent ally attacking the same creature (or that attacked the same creature in the last turn). And for the racial power, I have no idea what could work to fill your fluff.

hmmm, that is true.  I like the +1 for an adjacent allie attacking the same target.

For the racial power i think i'm going to scrap it and think of something else.

I'm pretty sure these races still need loads of work, but for now, I'm happy with the Moogle, Bangaa, and Viera races, aside from a couple minor gripes with the the Moogle racial power, which irks me for some reason.  My main homebrewing base is on Giant In The Playground, at this link
*FINAL FANTASY RACES*

Well I am going to help you with your races today.

First off is the Viera. Thrill of the Hunt is a bit clunky. Something that would require less paperwork for viera PCs and NPCs is to make it just a static +1 to damage rolls when bloodied.

As for Viera Mobility, it would be better served as an encounter power, since players will likely have a high enough ability score to let them use it 3-4 times a day, which is how many encounters they usually have anyways. SO, just make it an encounter power, which also reduces having to keep track of uses. Also, the power seems to be useful just for opportunity attacks and Action Point usage, but a character likely won't have those every encounter, so change it to this:

Viera Mobility - Viera Racial Power
You dance around your foe, harrying your opponent while you press your attack.
Encounter
Minor Action; Personal
Effect: You shift 1 square in any direction and gain a +2 bonus to Attack rolls. This bonus lasts until the end of your next turn. This bonus increases to +3 at 11th level and +4 at 21st level

I like what you've done with the Moogle. They need an extra major ability, since Mog Ingenuity is a minor ability (not all have access/will take Ritualist or Alchemy). An ability such as Wild Step from the elves would be fitting (hover over rough terrain/debris). Add the statement of, "This movement doesn't provoke opportunity attacks. You must land at the end of this movement," to their racial power and maybe increase the speed by 1 square, and it should be fine.

Wanderlust is a nifty power, and I like it. Even though the bonuses are +2, those are two pretty common conditions (in my experience), and it can be used to make a save when there isn't one.

As for the Baanga, their racial power needs some tweaking. Temp HP lasts such a short time and go away at the end of an encounter anyways, that there is no need to place a time limit on them.

As for the rest of the race, it looks pretty good. I think they need one more major ability that is a bit class universal, since melee classes will likely have the weapon proficiencies already, and not too many characters wear heavy armor. Increase their speed to 6 squares. Here is my edit of the Blood of Dragons power:

Blood of Dragons - Bangaa Racial Power
With a mighty roar, you call upon the power of your blood to lend you the strength of your ancestors.
Encounter
Personal; Minor Action
Special: You must be bloodied in order to use this power.
Effect:You spend a healing surge and also gain 5 temporary hit points. The temporary hit points go increase to 10 at 11th level, and 15 at 21st level.

Nu Mou can be tough to nail because they are almost exclusively casters, but the melee option is needed in 4e for race balance. Firstly, their speed possibly needs to be reduced, since their classes had low movement. Secondly, their Arcane Heritage ability really needs to be redone, primarily because enemies don't have power sources like PCs do.

The racial power needs to be changed a little bit. Instead of rounds, it should be save ends. Also, the origin square in Close Bursts are already unaffected by the power unless stated otherwise.  Changing it to the daze condition seems like a better idea and fits the same ("leaving foes dazzled"). Sticking to one "set" of ability scores seems to be the standard procedure, so change Con to Cha in the power. Changing the damage to 1d6 without ability modifier would work the same, especially since you are trading it out for a condition.

Deluge of Power - Nu Mou Racial Power
Tapping deep into the core of your being, you unleash a flood of energy that leaves your foes dazzled.
Encounter
Minor Action
Close burst 1
Attack: Intelligence +2 vs. Reflex, Wisdom +2 vs. Reflex, or Charisma +2 vs. Reflex

Effect: 1d6 damage and the target is Dazed (save ends). Increase to +3 bonus and 2d6 damage at 11th level, and +4 bonus and 3d6 damage at 21st level.

Special: When you create your character, choose Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma as the ability to use with this power.

I'm not going to go back and answer every individual post in this thread since last I was here, but why are there so many people posting in this thread without reading the first post?

Standard Action racial powers are ALWAYS BAD. Some status effects are too powerful to put on a racial power (ex: petrification or blinding that last longer than until the end of your current turn). If you really think that your race needs to be able to do something that is overpowered, then maybe it should be a monster race and not a PC race.

And if you're going to give your race a bonus to something, make sure that that something actually exists; there's no such thing as a saving throw versus disease, saving throws versus status effects don't work (slowed, immobilized, petrified, etc.), and "arcane" is not a damage type to gain resistance against.

Standard Action racial powers are ALWAYS BAD.

Why?
They interfere with action economy and are highly likely to cause a character to act out of role. The standard action is the action that a character should be using to fulfill their party role, so a standard action racial power interferes with this. Further, I've never seen before a standard action racial power proposed that didn't completely channel a race towards certain types of classes or else end up with a useless racial power. Take the Minotaur's Goring Charge, for example; it completely channels the race towards a melee class, because ranged characters would have to act out of role to use the power, and that's bad.

I'm not saying that there is no possible mechanical way for a standard action racial power to be well designed. I can actually think of quite a few right off the top of my head, but they're not the sorts of power that people actually tend to use in practice when they're creating their home-brews. When I see a power that's an exception, I'll commend it, but so far, I've only ever seen it happen once. The power was a modified Total Defense action, and the reason that was allowed to slide was that if a character is going to be using the Total Defense action, it would be acting out of role anyways. Other possible exceptions would be a modified Second Wind power or a power that was a modification upon another attack power you possess from your class.

After much planning and editing here's a dretch playable race write up I made. It was previously hammered out in the "Dretch character race idea" thread. My two big questions are, is this race playable and balanced?

Dretch

RACIAL TRAITS
Average Height: 3'-6"-4'-0"
Average Weight: 60-75 lb.

Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +2 Constitution
Size: Small
Vision: Darkvision

Languages: Common, Abyssal
Skill Bonuses: +2 Dungeoneering, +2 Intimidate
Flexible Resistance: After an extended rest, select one: Acid, Necrotic, Radiant, Thunder, Force, Lightning, Poison, Fire, or Cold. Gain resistance 2 + 1/2 level of the selected type until your next extended rest.
Demonic Origin: You are considered an elemental creature for the purpose of effects that relate to creature origin, and you have the demon subtype.
Seen it All: +5 to saving throws vs. Fear
Sickening Miasma: Choose one at character creation: You can use the Sticky Miasma racial power once per encounter, or you can use the Repulsive Miasma racial power once per encounter. You cannot change this choice.

Sticky Miasma
Encounter * Poison
Minor Action Close Burst 2
Attack: Str, Con, or Dex +3 vs Fortitude
Hit: The target takes 1d6 + Str, Con, or Dex modifier damage the next time it takes a move action before the end of your next turn.
Increase the bonus to +6 and the damage to 2d6 at 11th level, and increase the bonus to +9 and the damage to 3d6 at 11th level.
Special: When you create your character, choose either Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity as the ability to use when making this attack. That choice remains throughout your character's life.

Repuslive Miasma
Encounter * Poison
Minor Action Personal
Effect: At the start of your next turn, make an attack against each enemy in close burst 2.
Attack: Str, Con, or Dex +3 vs Fortitude
Hit: The target takes 1d6 + Str, Con, or Dex modifier damage.
Increase the bonus to +6 and the damage to 2d6 at 11th level, and increase the bonus to +9 and the damage to 3d6 at 11th level.
Special: When you create your character, choose either Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity as the ability to use when making this attack. That choice remains throughout your character's life.

Heroic Tier Race Feats:

Explosive Miasma: Expand the range of your sickening Miasma power to close burst 3.
Smokey Stink: After using your Sickening Miasma power you gain concealment until the end of your next turn.
Expansive Resistance: Your Flexible Resistance class feature now provides two different resistances after each extended rest.

Paragon Tier Race Feats:
Choking Miasma:
Each creature hit by your Sickening Miasma power is slowed until the end of your next turn.
Brainless Grit: After succeeding on a fear saving throw you gain 5+constitution modifier temperary hit points.

Friendly Stink:
Any allies that are the target of your Sickening Miasma power gain +5 to their fortitude defenses against the attack.

Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +2 Constitution

Races that get both of their ability score boosts towards ability scores that improve the same defense generally get a +1 racial defense boost to make up for it. For example, the Eladrin with +2 DEX and +2 INT gets a +1 bonus to Will, and the Goliath with +2 STR and +2 CON gets a +1 bonus to Will as well.

Vision: Darkvision

Darkvision is supposed to be avoided except in a very limited number of circumstances, and I don't see why this should be one. Low-Light should be good enough.

Flexible Resistance: After an extended rest, select one: Acid, Necrotic, Radiant, Thunder, Force, Lightning, Poison, Fire, or Cold. Gain resistance 2 + 1/2 level of the selected type until your next extended rest.

Instead of listing every damage type out, why don't you just say "Select a damage type"? You've got everything but Psychic on that list anyways, and I don't see any reason to bar it to begin with, so...

Raical powers in general:
I think that Close burst 2 is too much for either of those powers if they're going to do that much damage. Either make them Close burst 1 or change to damage to only the damage die or only an ability score modifier but not both.

Hit: The target takes 1d6 + Str, Con, or Dex modifier damage the next time it takes a move action before the end of your next turn.
I understand neither the flavor nor the mechanic behind this power. What's supposed to be going on here conceptually? Also any move action? Even move action that don't actually move you like standing up? What about teleporting? Does this even affect shifts? I don't know, this seems awefully general to the point where I don't get what it's supposed to be doing or why.

Effect: At the start of your next turn, make an attack against each enemy in close burst 2.

Again, I don't get what the point of this power is supposed to be. It doesn't seem to actually repel anything at all, and I don't understand what's up with this delayed attack thing. You need to clarify what this power is supposed to be doing and why from a flavor perspective, because right now, it just looks like a random mechanic without any obvious flavor behind it.

Raical powers in general:
I think that Close burst 2 is too much for either of those powers if they're going to do that much damage. Either make them Close burst 1 or change to damage to only the damage die or only an ability score modifier but not both.

I understand neither the flavor nor the mechanic behind this power. What's supposed to be going on here conceptually? Also any move action? Even move action that don't actually move you like standing up? What about teleporting? Does this even affect shifts? I don't know, this seems awefully general to the point where I don't get what it's supposed to be doing or why.

Again, I don't get what the point of this power is supposed to be. It doesn't seem to actually repel anything at all, and I don't understand what's up with this delayed attack thing. You need to clarify what this power is supposed to be doing and why from a flavor perspective, because right now, it just looks like a random mechanic without any obvious flavor behind it.

The reason they are such a large burst and actual damage is that the target has the option to not take the damage. In the case of Sticky, they can just not move. In the case of Repuslive, they can just move away (hence the delayed attack).

The general idea is they emit a noxious, poisonous cloud. In the case of the first option it is based directly on the MM entry. It is more poisonous, and causes pain to those who move. Perhaps the condition should be changed to "when target moves or shifts". But after I saw the power, I realized it was pretty much only useful for defenders or those acting in a similar role. In order to maintain a sort of "universal" usefulness, I created the opposite version, one that would keep people away. This is done through, flavor-wise, a potent and demonic stench that can actually rot your flesh. Hence, once the power is activated, everyone with any sense is getting the hell out of the way. The idea is to keep people off of you for a round or two. If you have a better way to reproduce this effect, we're all ears.
I have the diclonius, here:  community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...[PEACH__Race_two_paragon_paths_epic_destiny_and_feats]

Almost all crunch at the moment, except for a list of suggestions for names.  I'd be eager to see what, if anything, master Crimson would have to say on the new stuff. Innocent