Mapping the Nentir Vale

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello friends! I've been slowly mapping my way around the Nentir Vale.

http://dandddoodles.blogspot.com/

Stop by my blog, won't you? There you'll find all sorts of goodies, such as:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9BR0n7Yl944/SdTxrCCIImI/AAAAAAAAAOo/W56_tOZD7Ok/s1600/winterhaven-74.jpg

Hope to see you there!
The second link dosen't work.

I love your artwork, it has a delightfully cartoony style to it. If I had a dime to my name I'd comission you to draw some of my homebrew races

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a world just around the corner of your mind, where reality is an intruder and dreams come true.

You may escape into it at will. You need no secret password, no magic wand or Aladdin's lamp;

only your own imagination and curiosity about things that never were.

How did you do that map of the Vale?

I rather like the style, is it a program or something you just whipped up?

Either way it looks terrific.
Thanks men!

The Nentir Vale map was just done in good ol' Photoshop. I poked around the web and found some suitable trees and mountain brushes. Everything else is just using the lasso tool and filling the selections.

If you want to post a new race, I'd be happy to take a stab at it! I love checking out other DM's creations!
Great! Unfortunatly I don't have any visual referances as I personally can't draw at all :embarrass but I can describe them.

Mehrat

The Mehrat are the most human of the three races. They typically stand close to eight feet tall with the males being noticably larger than females. They have dark skin and hair and tend to dress in clothes made from animal furs. They have feline eyes and sharp teeth along with short claws on their hands that are used as tools but never for fighting.

They have a nomadic culture and generally stick to mountains and hills. Many mehrat practice witchcraft and sorcery, and their warriors specialize in heavy axes. The mehrat keep a special breed of hunting dog that is nearly as big as a small horse, and every member of the race is bonded to one of these hunting dogs as a right of passage.

Duarn

The duarn are a secluded race of crafters. Standing between three and four feet tall with little differance between males and females. They somewhat resemble monkeys with their overlong arms and flat faces. Their bodies are covered in fur except around their face, hands, and feet. The fur is often white, turning silver with age. Their fingers are long and agile, and they can also use their feet to grip objects.

They live in deep caverns hidden away in the mountains where they craft stone and wood into magnificent items and artwork. Most Duarn are peacful, but those that choose to follow the path of the warrior typically choose light weapons that let them use their speed and agility. Duarn mystics practice healing magic and very rarely learn to throw fire or lightning.

Sel'uar

The Sel'uar are the eldest race in the world and are very mysterious. they typicaly stand between five and six feet tall with males being noticably larger than females. They are a slender people with pale skin and light hair often white or silver. Their eyes are larger than a humans and completely black, and they have no noticable nose. their legs resemble those of a goat with cloven hooves but without fur, and a pair of small, spiral horns sprout from their heads.

They life in the ancient forests of the world where they grow their cities from living crystals. Almost all Sel'uar practice some form of magic, favoring illusions and charms. the Sel'uar warriors are skilled with the bow and arrow and prefer long, curved blades in combat.

I hope thats enough information, if not let me know whats missing and I'll add it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a world just around the corner of your mind, where reality is an intruder and dreams come true.

You may escape into it at will. You need no secret password, no magic wand or Aladdin's lamp;

Hey Chirp, I did a few marker sketches of your new races. Check 'em out!

Wow! :D Those are great.

The mehrat is a bit more wolf-like than I had originaly intended but I rather like the result.

I love the duarn!! They came out looking kinda cute and simple which is perfect.

The Sel'uar are great, but I don't see their horns? They are supposed to have straight, spiral horns, sort of like mini unicorn horns sprouting from just behind their hairline.

All around though very nice job Many thanks for drawing them, now I can show my players what the races really look like.

Y'know, you're right : the Mehrat looks a bit wolfy.

I patched in a pair of horns on the Sel'uar. Spirals are hard! ... so I left that part out. Hope it helps!
In my game I have little orange goblin-oids that are basically unaligned business-lords (if you are familiar with Warcraft, think WoW goblins).

I'll let you have your creative way with them, but really try to stay away from the jewish sterotypes the WoW goblin has...

I have a creature that is similar to Rheks (google image them) without the horn, with a manatee-like face.

I'm experimenting with the idea of Half-Genasi, a mix between humans and genasi, who have minor elemental traits, but are less prevalent than genasi, and who have a mischievous streak.

Goliath in my game have two ethnic groups: the tribal, independant, human disdaining northerners, and the dwarf-allied, educated, southern ones. A contrast between them could be cool.

Anything you can do would be awesome
hey kiddos!

I've posted a couple of new maps over at http://dandddoodles.blogspot.com/

Harkenwold and the NW quad of Fallcrest. Stop by for a visit, won't you?
hey kiddos!

I've posted a couple of new maps over at http://dandddoodles.blogspot.com/

Harkenwold and the NW quad of Fallcrest. Stop by for a visit, won't you?

Your work is awesome! :P just thought you should know
Hey Red, any chance we'll see Fallcrest all put together?
Thanks Senor!
Leirbags,

Yes!

I'm kinda slow, however, so first I'll post the roughs. I wouldn't postpone a Fallcrest campaign waiting for me or anything.

It's very flattering to know there's interest. Thanks man!
Leirbags,

Yes!

I'm kinda slow, however, so first I'll post the roughs. I wouldn't postpone a Fallcrest campaign waiting for me or anything.

It's very flattering to know there's interest. Thanks man!

Are you gonna do my ideas or focus on fallcrest? I'm cool either way since I might run a fallcrest, but jw.
Very cool art style.
Well done, and I also love your art style. Doodle me a gnoll ranger (archer) and I love you forever! :D :D :D :D
Senorpenor,

So I googled Rheks -- I'm not seeing much that makes sense. Can you give me a better definition?

Same with Goliath. I apologize if these are in the Monster Manual -- I, sadly, don't have a copy.
Senorpenor,

So I googled Rheks -- I'm not seeing much that makes sense. Can you give me a better definition?

Same with Goliath. I apologize if these are in the Monster Manual -- I, sadly, don't have a copy.

rhek dnd in google images should work http://www.vesivus.com/eBay/dndminis/AB_Rhek.jpg (theres only one picture). Goliaths are in PHB2 in 4e http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ros_gallery/83281.jpg http://trollitc.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/51-qpwtpfnl_ss500_.jpg .
You sir, are awesome. Love the gnoll!
Do you have a deviantART account? 'Cos I need to watch you.

Your Winterhaven and Fallcrest look like taken from Asterix.
ADH,

No Deviant Art account. I think I know what that is, but I haven't taken the time to look into it.

Asterix? Guilty! Especially the haystack-lookin' smithy. I love that building. When I'm drawing I usually have "Asterix and the Banquet" open at my elbow and either "Beauty and the Beast" or "Hunchback" on the dvd. Great material for old-timey architecture.
Hey Red, Fallcrest is looking good. I'm really enjoying seeing how you bring it to life.
ADH,

No Deviant Art account. I think I know what that is, but I haven't taken the time to look into it.

Asterix? Guilty! Especially the haystack-lookin' smithy. I love that building. When I'm drawing I usually have "Asterix and the Banquet" open at my elbow and either "Beauty and the Beast" or "Hunchback" on the dvd. Great material for old-timey architecture.

any chance of doodles of my DM stuff? it doesn't matter too much, I'll continue to enjoy your blog either way, it'd just be super awesome
Senor,

Sorry to leave you hangin'! Yes, I've done several doodles of, let's see... the goliaths, north and south, and the Manatee-head fella. The manatee guy is looking good, I think. The goliath need a few more passes. I'll clean 'em up on Tuesday when I get back. I hope that's not too late for your campaign!
Senor,

Sorry to leave you hangin'! Yes, I've done several doodles of, let's see... the goliaths, north and south, and the Manatee-head fella. The manatee guy is looking good, I think. The goliath need a few more passes. I'll clean 'em up on Tuesday when I get back. I hope that's not too late for your campaign!

Awesome, I can't wait! It's not too late, don't worry.
Great work and awesome art style. WOTC should provide isometric map views in their campaign modules.
Wow. Just...wow.
Nice work Red. Don't cut down the woods too much though. I think there's supposed to be a graveyard in there. I totally dig the porters' lift.
Sparq, Fletch, Leir, thanks men! Yeah, the Map in Dora's backpack is more intriguing than some of WotC's cartography, sadly.

And -- thanks to a sharp-eyed commenter -- I'm already planning on sqeezing Tombwood back onto the map. Thanks for stopping by!
ahahahaha awesome! that is so great

you are my hero.
Do you do the art for free or do you expect payment?

If you're doing it for free and you have the time, could you draw the following five characters? (If you charge for your services, don't worry about it. )

Female Dwarf Druid: Hide amor, throwing hammer, and a totem (PM me if you need a description)
Male Goliath Warden: Longspear, crossbow, hide Armor, and a cloak
Female Deva Cleric of Erathis: Mace, hand crossbow, chainmail, and a holy symbol
Male Gnome Warlock (fey pact): Leather armor, hand crossbow, dagger, and a rod
Male Half-Orc Rogue (Brutal Scoundrel): Shuriken (3 or 4), dagger, leather armor, and a cloak

If need any more details, just PM me. Thank you!
Roleplaying Logs My roleplaying blog, where I give a summary of what happened in the games I play in. Updates about once a week.
Hey Dar,

Nah, I don't charge. However, I'm verrrrrrrrry slow. I wouldn't postpone a campaign on my account or anything.

Feel free to remind me from time to time. In fact, I just remembered I owe Senor some Goliath. How tall are Goliath, anyway?
How tall are Goliath, anyway?

7'2"-7'8", according to the PHB2.
Hey Dar,

Nah, I don't charge. However, I'm verrrrrrrrry slow. I wouldn't postpone a campaign on my account or anything.

Its ok. The campaign is still in its planning stages and I take a long time with the planning myself. Good thing its just for me (I'm writing a story with the characters and their adventures).
Roleplaying Logs My roleplaying blog, where I give a summary of what happened in the games I play in. Updates about once a week.
Hey Red, any new stuff?
Okay, I finally posted a working version of Fallcrest up on the blog. No doubt I'll be noodling around with it for a while, but, as they say, it's good enough for opera!

Thanks for all your support!
Your map of Fallcrest is really awesome. Great work!
Okay, I finally posted a working version of Fallcrest up on the blog. No doubt I'll be noodling around with it for a while, but, as they say, it's good enough for opera!

Thanks for all your support!

You sir need a dA account, because I need to add that one to my favourites!
It's not how I would picture some of the buildings myself, but it is impressive. Maybe I'll even print it?

Edit. I've just noticed buildings instead of rubble in some places. Why the change?
He mentioned a few posts ago that he figured after several years the people would start building again. I know I would. :P
Print away my good man, print away!

Yes, as Dar said, I was thinking that-- after a hundred or so years-- a lot of the rubble from the Bloodspear attacks would've been cleared up, so I didn't include any rubble in my rough sketches. Then someone pointed out that even in busy towns there are still unused, untidy spaces. I thought that was a good point, so I added some rubble back in but never bothered to check if it aligned with the map in the DM guide. Thus the discrepencies.

Thanks for the comments!
Sign In to post comments