Winterhaven 3D Map

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi folks,

Another town map from 4E module Keep on the Shadowfell, that of Winterhaven. Again, an in progress work.

Thanks, Mall
Pretty. I'd use that, if Winterhaven made any sense as a town in its original form.
Yeh, I know what you mean. I felt it seemed a little too small to be honest. It's also in the middle of nowhere without any great reason.
The bit I like best is that the 'grand manor house' which is 'a beautiful example of stone architecture' has a whacking great stone wall right in front of it spoiling the view.
Still I guess as it used to be an outpost of the old Nerath empire, defense was a bit more important :D

I also never realised the tower was so big and odd looking when I was gm-ing the adventure. The joys of retrospective 3d mapping heh!!
It's too small, too many of the population live outside and far away in unprotected houses and the bloody kobold live all of ten minutes walk away - they must be closer than half the farmers are supposed to be. There's a stinking hobgoblin army ten minutes the other way - they probably pop into town to buy milk and the newspaper, after eating the half-dozen tasty little town guards as a snack on the way through.

I think I'm going to add a newer ditch and stockade fortification below the gate where most of the farmers have their homes.

My reason for Winterhaven is the East Way, but you've got to move the various adventure sites much further out of town, bump up the size and capabilities of the town guard, add a proper ward and generally make it a bit harder to attack - it's a frontier town in the middle of hell.

I'd raise the manor house up a bit as well, so it's standing on a plinth and can both have a view and look imposing to people approaching the settlement. And why would they use precious space inside the walls for a market square??

(What are you using to draw these?)
Lol. i just kept mine as it was in the adventure, but diverted attention away from the fact that it didn't quite make sense to be were it was...

I made my town guard wear tabards with a yellow 'W' on which mimicked a McDonalds M, upside down. Its more like a 'trot-through' :D
They also saluted people by making 'W' gestures with their hands (as in the 'Whatever!' gesture).

To be honest the middle wall is just nonsense, and dis-proportionately large (as is the whole boundary wall). If I take it out, the 'frontier keep' layout makes a bit more sense. I'll do it and post again.

I'm using Google SketchUp. Fantastic little program!
Any chance of posting the sketch-up files when you're done ... that would be really, really useful.

I'm setting my campaign near Winterhaven, so I need to deal with its problems!
Sure thing Colman.
The images below are with the central wall removed, and the manor raised on a plinth:

Here is the associated .skp file.
http://www.glynnseal.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/Winterhaven_mod.zip

You might have to copy/paste into your browser, depends how noobile I am :D
Enjoy, Mall.
That makes much more sense doesn't it? Thanks for both.
No worries
I have now completed the 'as module' version though. Here if anyone needs them:

Thanks Mall.
Pretty, pretty, pretty.
Those 3D kick a$$ I wish I was good with a computer so I can make a 3D of the Goblin my team took over.
Whats the Goblin? Is it a building/tavern?
Maybe send me a plan and a description, and I could do it If I get chance. Assuming its not too complicated ofc :D
I meant so goblin village.
I just discovered the sandbox tools. I'm looking at my map of the Thunderpeaks and thinking relief map.

But if you have a relief map, you can place cities on it. Then you can do scenic shots.
Sandbox tools????????????????????????
Sandbox tools?

In Sketchup. Never mind ...
When it comes to computers I'm stupid..
I rememebr when mykids and I were into Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 - they LOVED sandbox mode. :D

I'm the only one who actually played the chalenges.

Anyway, one of the funnest parts of the game was that after you built your park, you got to walk around it (and ride the rides!) in 3D.

Totaly awesome... I wish they'd come out with a Sim-Renfaire. :D

Can you imagine building a Realms city with an engine like that, and got to peak down into it and see the little Azoun or Elminster or Khelben walking around?
Hey Mall,

Just wanted to say that this is the coolest thing I've since on the forums in quite a while. Great work! Winterhaven never looked so good.

Chris
Wow, you got Mr. Perkins giving you props... It is awesome, BTW.

Do you have plans to make more?
Suck it up and drive on.
Could you make one of Evermeet?
Hi all,

Ive posted some comments in the Loudwater 3D Map thread also, so just to re-iterate those comments here...

Many thanks for the positive feedback from everyone, and many thanks to Chris Perkins for the kind comment, it really made my day :D

I will make some more as my workload allows really (as its all done intermingled with my full time job which gets pretty heavy some days).
I want to keep my focus on 4E Forgotten Realms maps, as thats my campaign world and where the maps will be also most useful to myself and my group.

I have looked at a Fallcrest map as maybe my next map, as this will be the most use to the most people (incl. myself). Its also an interesting map from the point of view of the multilevel. I don't have an eta on it yet, but I am pretty sure that would be my next development.

What do you think?

Thanks, Mall.
These look great. Sketchup is a great tool for quick visualizations like this. I have one question for you. Are you using the scale of the 2d maps for for the scale of your 3d buildings? I ask because the walls seem a little thicker than they should be. I think 2D maps scales get a little wacky. Anyways, it's purely superficial thing and your sketchup work is pretty good.

Cheers!
Hi Caolin,

Yes the scale is proportional to the 2d maps. I use the scanned image to draw over the top of, to make sure the proportions are correct. The walls are a bit robust to be fair, but thats how it is on the map.

The scale of the original file is 1:1 also, so the feet markers represent the actual size I have drawn it. This is useful for the walk-through tools in sketchup and taking persons' eye view of certain aspects.

It would be great to have a Google Faerun A bit like the old Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas, but more Google Earthesque.

Thanks,
Mall.
Hi Caolin,

Yes the scale is proportional to the 2d maps. I use the scanned image to draw over the top of, to make sure the proportions are correct. The walls are a bit robust to be fair, but thats how it is on the map.

The scale of the original file is 1:1 also, so the feet markers represent the actual size I have drawn it. This is useful for the walk-through tools in sketchup and taking persons' eye view of certain aspects.

It would be great to have a Google Faerun A bit like the old Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas, but more Google Earthesque.

Thanks,
Mall.

You know, I bet you could use Google Earth to overlay maps of Toril over the Earth. I see it done with ancient maps of the Earth so why not with the Forgotten Realms maps?
Sign In to post comments