Super Mario Campaign!

67 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello All!

I am here to ask the intellectual community (that's you) some creative advice.

I've gotten it into my head to create a campaign-setting based upon the Super Mario universe. I will pull a lot of inspiration from the main-stream titles (i.e. Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, the original Super Mario series, etc.) and a little from more esoteric games (i.e. anything involving Wario).

To accomplish said task, I will use the 4E rules as my base. My plan is to change the 4E mechanics as little as possible, if at all. But, I will change virtually all the fluff. Obviously, the undertaking is not a small one. Ergo, your creative advice is greatly appreciated!

I want the campaign to be true to the Super Mario universe. However, it'll take a lot of finagling and a few compromises. I mean to take monster statistics and change their fluff to fit classic Mario baddies. For example, I'll use Drakes and describe them as Goombas; I'll use Goblins and describe them as Shy Guys. I'm more concerned about fitting monster mechanics to Mario baddies. So, if say, I mix Kobolds with Goblins and use both of their statistics for Shy Guys, that's cool.

One of the biggest problems I've encountered so far is fitting races to races. I've only just started and have a few ideas:

Humans=Humans (Mario was a human)
Dwarves=Toads (Toads seem to have a lot of resilience and common sense)
Gnomes=Boos (Invisibility)
Dragonborn=Bowser-like Koopas (Potentially fire-breathing)
Devas=Star People (Like Geno [doll-likeness optional])
Goliaths=Kongs (Big and strong)

I intend to fit ever PHB and PHB2 race to a Super Mario race. I also intend to keep all the classes mechanically intact. I'm fine with changing all the fluff if need be.

Finally, I've been trying to hash out how I can substitute jumping on an enemy's head for one of the weapon groups. I intend to keep most every weapon. However, things in this campaign won't be as violent. No one gets killed, they just get knocked out (there will still be consequences, of course). Enemies *pop* when they die.

If there are any questions, feel free to ask. Otherwise, let your creative juices flow! Thank you so much!
I approve of this! All I want to add is why not set it not in the Mushroom Kingdom, but in the Galaxies shown in Super Mario Galaxy?
Mushroom Kingdom could be a base actually, a land now in peace with Bowser and Mario long since past on, with the planet united. Make travel to all the places in Mushroom Kingdom easy, with cloud rides and yoshi guides...
But on in space there could be a Starwars parady Empire out to enslave the universe. This way you can theme every planet any way you want, Shyguy Factory planet, "Planet of the Kongs", Thwomp Space-Station and whatever you want without sticking crazily close to the source.
Eh, anyway, it seems the way you're going to go about things is fine already, just work with the core material as you need it. Theres nothing saying goblins can't be shyguys, koopas and red-headed cog-men as you need them to be.
I've actually been trying to do something like this myself, specifically an adaptation for Paper Mario. But for the life of me, I can't figure out an elegant way to stat up goombas. GDB status aside, I don't how best to handle their lack hands (that apparently allows them to use giant hammers well enough to build bridges in a few moments...yeah). But I digress.

Dwarves=Toads (Toads seem to have a lot of resilience and common sense)

Interesting. I never got that impression of toads before. They seem to be tossed around way to easily to warrant a +con and run the entire common sense gambit to warrant a +2 wis. To me, they seem to be pretty nimble if SM2 is any indication, and they seem to have a lot of heart. I would probably use Halfling stats for them. I could also see toads using human stats as well, as toads seem to take the common and adaptable roles humans usually occupy in regular campaigns.

Devas=Star People (Like Geno [doll-likeness optional])

Just a thought but Geno, at least while on Earth(?), would probably draw a closer direct comparison to a warforged actually. Remember that Geno basically possessed a mechanical toy, turned it into a life-sized construct, and shoot bullets and cannonballs out of his hands and arms (warforged components).

That's not to say that your idea is flawed, as we are talking about massive reflavoring anyway.

Finally, I've been trying to hash out how I can substitute jumping on an enemy's head for one of the weapon groups.

Most likely, your basic jump would be some form of Improved Unarmed Strike. In most games, jumping on your foe did about equivalent damage to using a punch or hammer. Mario's jumps were also very nimble, allowing him to attack and move on to the next objective or a attack a creature multiple. These maneuvers are reminiscent of the Ranger's Hit and Run and Twin Strike powers, respectively. That's not to say that I think Mario (or Mario clone players) should be stated up as Rangers, as I'm not entirely sure what class Mario is other than some sort of super ninja (though unarmed strike varient ranger with a flaming bow for fireballs wouldn't be a stretch).

However, things in this campaign won't be as violent. No one gets killed, they just get knocked out (there will still be consequences, of course).

Okay, I can understand this.

Enemies *pop* when they die.

But not this. Enemies "popping" is just a game abstraction for the enemy being defeated and being removed from play to keep the game screen free and free up cpu resources. It would feel distractingly metagamey to me if creatures actually went *poof* when KO. I would probably ask the DM "why did they disappear and where did they go? And that must be some cheap teleport if every foe so far has been able to do that, so where can I get me some?"
Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.
Goombas = minions, 1 hit kills.

That's all i can think of...

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Goombas = minions, 1 hit kills.

That's all i can think of...

But goombas have also made some of the most reliable PCs.
Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.
But not this. Enemies "popping" is just a game abstraction for the enemy being defeated and being removed from play to keep the game screen free and free up cpu resources. It would feel distractingly metagamey to me if creatures actually went *poof* when KO. I would probably ask the DM "why did they disappear and where did they go? And that must be some cheap teleport if every foe so far has been able to do that, so where can I get me some?"

You're...um...not REALLY serious about this, are you? If you are...to each their own, I suppose.

I'm pretty sure there's probably a very specific and good reason he has for wanting to avoid bodies, even merely unconscious ones, all over the field. Seeing as 4e is very simple, and he's doing his best to avoid monkeying with it, and yet he's taking the flavor so far as to make head-jumping a valid attack and to make K.O.d enemies *pop* out of existence...I'm betting this game will be solely for, or include a few, younger kids. I could be wrong though.

Either way, only the very earliest games used that method as a means of managing the CPUs efforts. Now that's not an issue and they do it to avoid excessively violent overtones in their game, something the OP is also trying to do.

-

My suggestion would be to turn Coup De Grace attacks into the "head jumping" instead of making some more standard type of attack into "head jumping" or something. Then the enemy pops out of existence.

Edit: Don't be afraid to draw some extra inspiration from Kirby, even though it's completely unrelated, it handles edged weapons in a "non-violent" game pretty well.
LevelSync - Final Fantasy XI's boundless fountain of purest awesome from which all win flows eternally. Click to view my Personality Profile page

whatcolor_isblue.jpg
Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
The Toad in SMB2 was pretty Dwarvey. He could pull up objects faster than the other characters, but had a lower jump, if I recall. So Toads as Dwarves seems fine to me. (Toads as Halflings also seems fine to me too, though, so either way...)

I'm thinking that you should just allow the creatures like Goombas and Bob-ombs to 'wield' things as if they had two hands (a la Homestar Runner: http://www.hrwiki.org/index.php/Lack_of_Visible_Arms).

As for races: Devas would make fine non-doll star people, with Warforged being their doll counterparts. I'm thinking fire Genasi could roughly translate to Bob-ombs. Perhaps Stormsoul Genasi could be Li'l Sparkies. Windsoul could be... whatever Flurrie was. Watersoul... Flurrie again?? It's pretty difficult to match all the races.

Some more race ideas:
Eladrin = Magikoopa
Elf = Hammer Bro or Ninjakoopa?
Half-Elf = Koopa?
Doppleganger = Duplighost
Halfling = Ninji

Yeah, I'm sure you can tell I don't have much to do today.

Lastly, about jumping. I recommend introducing some new feats and items. For example, there might be a feat:

Jump Training
Benefit: When you make a jump check, you may move 1 additional square in any direction as part of the jump. Additonally, you may jump as part of a charge without provoking OAs from your target; if you do so, you may begin the charge at any distance from the target, but instead of ending adjacent to the foe, you must jump on top of them, at which point you may make an unarmed attack or a Shoe attack instead of a basic melee attack. After the attack you shift into the nearest unoccupied square.

That's quite a dense feat, but it's the best I could word it. The additional square basically allows you to move horizontally a bit with a high jump, or gain increased vertical distance with a long jump.

You'd also need a Shoe weapon for use with jump attacks. Maybe like;

Shoe; Prof: +2; Damage: 1d8; Special: can only be used as part of jumping attacks. Takes up feet slot instead of weapon slot.
All I want to add is why not set it not in the Mushroom Kingdom, but in the Galaxies shown in Super Mario Galaxy?

Namer, that's frelling brilliant! I was thinking about making travel quick and easy, anyway. I was also thinking of making Yoshis into mounts. But, I didn't even consider making the the campaign universe like Super Mario Galaxy. The mechanic allows me to set a session in whatever realm I want. So, I can come up with a fantastic idea that has a flavor unlike the previous session and it'll still make sense. Sweet!

I would probably use Halfling stats for them.

Fireclave, your comments have been a big help! Your point is well taken (Toad was quick in SM2). I can see now Toads make better Halflings.

Remember that Geno basically possessed a mechanical toy, turned it into a life-sized construct, and shoot bullets and cannonballs out of his hands and arms (warforged components).

That's also a good point. My thoughts were like this: I'm basing the Star People stats off of their own existence and not the thing they possess (if they even possess anything. They may simply float around as Star People). Also, I would LOVE to do something more mechanical and toy-like. However, I'm loathe to letting the players use Warforged as it has not yet been adapted to being a PC-friendly race.

Most likely, your basic jump would be some form of Improved Unarmed Strike.

How about something like the Spiked Gauntlet from Adventurer's Vault? It'd have to be "two-handed," take up the feet slot, and be worth taking up the feet slot. Of course, that would mean adding in a homebrew mechanic. For the sake of jumping, though, I'm willing to accept that.

These maneuvers are reminiscent of the Ranger's Hit and Run and Twin Strike powers, respectively.

I had the same thoughts. I was thinking a person would take different classes in order to be a different kind of jumper. For example, the ranger jumper would bounce all over the place whereas the fighter jumper would be more focused. Things like that.

I would probably ask the DM "why did they disappear and where did they go? And that must be some cheap teleport if every foe so far has been able to do that, so where can I get me some?"

I had actually been mulling that over in my mind before you brought up that point. Good catch. Here are my thoughts: when an enemy is defeated, it won't be knocked out, it will *pop.* That is because, in the Mario universe, living matter is highly subject to entropy. If something stops overcoming entropy (i.e. dies) it will explosively break down into its base components. I like this explanation because it gives me an idea for the first campaign's quest (it'll involve slaadi and their control over entropy).

But goombas have also made some of the most reliable PCs.

Finally, another good point. Which race do you suppose Goombas fit?
Goomba = Goblin ?
Just make it an at will power and count the jump check as part of the attack that uses a passive athletics checks.
this is funny and awesome at the same time. I have only played SM RPG, but I like fitting what's available to different worlds. I have a game in 10 min, but will give serious feedback when I can.

One note.

Warden with all of his polymorphing could be like the "suits" mario wore in SMB3
Oh, I'm idiot! It's so obvious now.

Dwarf=Non-Bowser-like Koopas.
I think my post slipped through the cracks... ;_;

About popping... I think it'd be best if you had players knock out foes typically (resulting in an unconscious foe lying there), but allow the foe to be killed -- i.e. "popped" -- when absolutely necessary.
You're...um...not REALLY serious about this, are you? If you are...to each their own, I suppose.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. They seem to be valid questions to me. Creatures normally don't go *poof* when you clunk them on the head unless they are disintegrated or are teleport (maybe Bowser borrowed Ganon's Evil Jar). They certainly don't disappear in many of the plot-centric battles.

I'm pretty sure there's probably a very specific and good reason he has for wanting to avoid bodies, even merely unconscious ones, all over the field. Seeing as 4e is very simple, and he's doing his best to avoid monkeying with it, and yet he's taking the flavor so far as to make head-jumping a valid attack and to make K.O.d enemies *pop* out of existence...

I'm not saying that the OP doesn't have a good reason for avoiding bodies littering the battlefields. But if bodies are going to *pop*, I at least, from an in-game not-aware-we-are-in-a-video-game perspective, would like to know why.

I'm betting this game will be solely for, or include a few, younger kids. I could be wrong though.

Maybe, maybe not. The OP hasn't indicated either way. My assumption was that he wanted to preserve the non-violent overtones of the Mario-verse, and not necessarily build a campaign for a younger group.

Then again, this is the same Mario-verse where sentient creatures have been devoured whole on several occasions, so yeah.

Either way, only the very earliest games used that method as a means of managing the CPUs efforts. Now that's not an issue and they do it to avoid excessively violent overtones in their game, something the OP is also trying to do.

The comment you are referring to was mostly intended to be tongue-in-cheek. That said, there really is no point in wasting resources and processing time on objects that no longer have significance to the gaming experience and clutter up the game space (the exception, of course, being that leaving bodies where the fall enhances the gaming experience you are trying to create).

However, I'm loathe to letting the players use Warforged as it has not yet been adapted to being a PC-friendly race.

Actually, yes they have. See Dragon #364, which is free. Though its possible that they might get additional revisions in the ECS book.

How about something like the Spiked Gauntlet from Adventurer's Vault? It'd have to be "two-handed," take up the feet slot, and be worth taking up the feet slot. Of course, that would mean adding in a homebrew mechanic. For the sake of jumping, though, I'm willing to accept that.

Hard to comment since I don't have the AV, but two-handed and worth a feat sounds about right to me.

I had actually been mulling that over in my mind before you brought up that point. Good catch. Here are my thoughts: when an enemy is defeated, it won't be knocked out, it will *pop.* That is because, in the Mario universe, living matter is highly subject to entropy. If something stops overcoming entropy (i.e. dies) it will explosively break down into its base components. I like this explanation because it gives me an idea for the first campaign's quest (it'll involve slaadi and their control over entropy).

Well that shoots Raise Dead all to hell, as you need a body to raise.

And if everybody explodes when they die, then there's no bodies, which means no graves, which means no graveyards (and there definitely are graveyards in the Mario-verse), which make for very sad Boos.

You also seem to be contradicting yourself somewhat. You first said that you wanted a low-violence campaign with no real death, and now no one gets KO'ed and instead everyone violently explodes into nothingness.

Finally, another good point. Which race do you suppose Goombas fit?

It's really hard to place them as they don't get alot of screen time outside of being one-shot minions. Though that's also because almost all of the goombas we see in the Mario-verse are either towns-folk or the equivalent of human-rabble. Goombella, Goombario, and the good prof. aside, Goombas don't see to be especially cerebral. They do seem to be rather strong and dexterous for their size and build; enough at least to build bridges, help load cargo and man ships, and the fact that if you think about it, headbonks are probably not that easy to aim and really do hurt. But they are also surprisingly resilient and persistent. Despite their shortcomings and typically minion status, they doggedly keep coming after you, and the non-minion statted at least can take a hit and the hyper goombas can be downright scary (racial paragon path?). I think races with bonuses to strength, dexI might use half-orc stats for them. The racial bonuses line up and Furious Assault and Swift Charge seem to be a good representation for Headbonk, even though half-orc resilience doesn't seem like the best fit. Though honestly, I don't know of any race that scream "Goomba" to me.
I guess my innate reaction to the idea of a non-D&D game that uses 4e rules where enemies go *poof* when they die is, "duh, that's how the world has always been."

I'm very big on holding up my end of suspension of disbelief. But, there's nothing wrong with wanting to know why they do that in that particular world. It would certainly make it easier to play off an understanding to a character from outside the setting if such were 'ported in.

Either way, good luck to the OP. I can't really help much since I only played the first SMB, and MKDD...and SSBM...if that counts. My Mario knowledge is horrbily limited for this exercise.
LevelSync - Final Fantasy XI's boundless fountain of purest awesome from which all win flows eternally. Click to view my Personality Profile page

whatcolor_isblue.jpg
Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Sorry about that. The last post I had was about 10 minutes before an organic chemistry review session. Anywho, thank you so much for your suggestions! I'll definitely use your ideas for the monsters. Also, Eladrin=Magikoopa seems about right, even though it doesn't seem like a complete fit.

You also seem to be contradicting yourself somewhat.

Yeah, that's true. At this point in my campaign-development, I'll be doing that a lot. I'm mostly throwing ideas around. You were correct in assuming that I mostly wish to retain the goofy/random appeal of the Mario universe. Also, I would have to agree with you on your assessment of Goombas as half-orcs even though nothing quite fits to a tee.

Most importantly, we've seemed to get off topic a bit. These are good questions but I also need more creative suggestions. Your help has been, thus far, invaluable.

Do you suppose I ought to carry this post over to the "campaign and adventure workshop" section of the forums?

I actually was going to comment on your jump feat and make some suggestions on how you could simplify the wording, but after double-taking a couple of times I couldn't quite figure out how without changing the mechanics. So I was going to try again later. But since I'm already here...

I'm thinking that you should just allow the creatures like Goombas and Bob-ombs to 'wield' things as if they had two hands (a la Homestar Runner: http://www.hrwiki.org/index.php/Lack_of_Visible_Arms).

Agreed. Since the OP's simply reflavoring existing material, lampshades like this are a given.

Elf = Hammer Bro or Ninjakoopa?

Hammer Bros, I think, would be more of an equipment/class/stat choice than a sepparate race. They're still koopa, but wear different styled shell armor, are proficient with what are likely exotic weapons, and buffed to various degrees depending on what game you see them in.

Assuming you're talking about the ninja turtles wannabees from PM1, are definitely just regular koopas with a few class levels at best.

Doppleganger = Duplighost

That's a perfect fit actually.

You'd also need a Shoe weapon for use with jump attacks. Maybe like;

Shoe; Prof: +2; Damage: 1d8; Special: can only be used as part of jumping attacks. Takes up feet slot instead of weapon slot.

Although it does make a lot of sense in the Mario games, I personally don't like the idea of a weapon occupying a magic item slot. I think a non-slotted, implement-like item would be a better fit from a 4e mechanics perspective.

Though I guess you could also allow feet slot items to also be enchanted as weapons at the same time. Actually, that would probably work quite well. I think I'm going to steal that from myself.

Do you suppose I ought to carry this post over to the "campaign and adventure workshop" section of the forums?

You could. I think the Homebrew n' Houserule forum are more directed to mechanics than world-building.
I found an at will power for a monster that you could copy to a Mario move. It is a power for the Deathjump spider and the move is called Death from above. Could help you out.
Hammer Bros, I think, would be more of an equipment/class/stat choice than a sepparate race.

That made me have a thought about Magikoopas. Would you consider them a separate race from the Koopas? Or are they simply Koopas with the Wizard class? I ask because I was thinking: Eladrin=Magikoopa isn't too bad of a fit. Magikoopas are intelligent and nimble and they can teleport.

Also, do you remember the race of "merlins" in Paper Mario? They also appear in Super Mario RPG as "shamens." Perhaps they would do better as Devas? If so, where would Star People fit?

Maybe:
Devas=Merlins
Eladrin=Star People
Magikoopas=Koopas with the Wizard class

Any thoughts?

I found an at will power for a monster that you could copy to a Mario move.

That does help, thank you. Though it probably won't make it as a PC power.
That made me have a thought about Magikoopas. Would you consider them a separate race from the Koopas? Or are they simply Koopas with the Wizard class? I ask because I was thinking: Eladrin=Magikoopa isn't too bad of a fit. Magikoopas are intelligent and nimble and they can teleport.

The latter. My impression is that magi-koopa are simply koopas versed in magic. Sure they are intelligent, nimble, and teleport-y, but that tends to be true of spellcasters in general.

Also, do you remember the race of "merlins" in Paper Mario? They also appear in Super Mario RPG as "shamens." Perhaps they would do better as Devas? If so, where would Star People fit?

Maybe:
Devas=Merlins
Eladrin=Star People

That seems fine to me. The Merlins seemed very knowledgeable and mystical to me, so devas would make a good fit.

For the Star People, little is known about them AFAIK. But if we assume Geno to be a fairly typical example, I can see the Eladrin being a close fit due both being fairly intelligent and having an affinity for magic.

Magikoopa are probably any koopa with magical ability (or perhaps members an organization or guild under the name "Magikoopa", which would explain the distinct robe+swirly glasses uniform and loyalty to Bowser), not just wizards. While their abilities are fairly uniform in the games, in a 4e environment, I would expect Sorcerers, Warlocks, Invokers, and similar magic-oriented classes within their ranks as well. White magikoopa, for example, could heal. So there are at least a few leader-(multi)classed magikoopa.
Hammer Bros, I think, would be more of an equipment/class/stat choice than a sepparate race. They're still koopa, but wear different styled shell armor, are proficient with what are likely exotic weapons, and buffed to various degrees depending on what game you see them in.

Assuming you're talking about the ninja turtles wannabees from PM1, are definitely just regular koopas with a few class levels at best.

You're right-- I also prefer the idea of having just "Koopa" as one race, rather than Hammer Bros or Magikoopa. I was trying to fill out some of the races for the sake of filling them out, which is probably a bad idea.

As such...

Maybe:
Devas=Merlins
Eladrin=Star People

Any thoughts?

Sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

Although it does make a lot of sense in the Mario games, I personally don't like the idea of a weapon occupying a magic item slot. I think a non-slotted, implement-like item would be a better fit from a 4e mechanics perspective.

Though I guess you could also allow feet slot items to also be enchanted as weapons at the same time. Actually, that would probably work quite well. I think I'm going to steal that from myself.

I think I'll steal that idea from you too. :D
Okay, so far the race list looks like thus:

Humans=Humans
Dwarves=Koopa Troopas
Gnomes=Boos
Eladrin=Star People
Devas=Ancients (Merlin People)
Dragonborn=Bowser Koopas
Goliaths=Kongs
Half-Orcs=Goombas

Of the PHB/PHB2 races left we have:

Shifters, Elves, Tieflings, and Half-Elves

Of the most probable races left in the Mario-verse, we have:

Bob-Ombs, Mousers, Ninjis, Yoshis (they may or may not be PCs), and, Lord help me, Bumpties (penguin people)

So far everyone's given great advice. If anyone has any ideas about fitting Mario baddies to MM creatures or changes in the class fluff/feats, that would be great.

Thanks again!
Okay, so far the race list looks like thus:
(snip)

You forgot halflings, which would bet better as Ninjis than anyone else at the moment.

Teiflings could be (If we're going there) podoboos.
Mario Double Jump
At-will * Martial
Standard action
Target: One creature
Attack: Strength vs reflex
Hit: 1d6+ strength mod damge.
Effect: You leap on to the enemies head causing them to be daze till the end of your next turn.

Something like this.
Elves = Ninjis or Bumpties
-Fast, accurate and downright annoying to the enemy. Sounds like an elf.

Half-Elves = Yoshis
- Yoshi's do anything, carry plenty and are (said in as masculine a way as possible) adorable. A High Con and Charisma seems to suit them. Plus Dilettante fits the different colored yoshis pretty well as their "tongue" power, with the option of replacing a class feature with "you may grab with reach 2".

bob-ombs self destructive nature kind of makes me wonder if they're all that playable. Perhaps as Shifters? I'd have a look at the Monster Manual races too. They may not be too supported but they can be interesting options *points at Gnoll for Chain Chomps*

ps. What about other game characters in the same universe? Hyrulean = Human. Kirby = ... well never mind but still. If you're going to include the Kongs why not make this a Smash Bros sort of thing? Or is my inner fanboy showing?
@ Ace_of_time: Daze is far too powerful an effect for an at-will.

bob-ombs self destructive nature kind of makes me wonder if they're all that playable.

According to Paper Mario cannon, bob-omb don't kill themselves when the explode. Exploding for them is just like breathing fire for a dragonborn. And in the first two PM games, you had bom-omb allies that used explosions as their in-battle special moves and outside battle as a puzzle solving tool. And the first PM, there were even a couple of bom-ombs in this one two who were having an exploding contest, and exploded ever couple of real-time seconds much to the annoyance of their neighbors. Enemy bom-ombs did usually K.O themselves when exploding though.

ps. What about other game characters in the same universe? Hyrulean = Human. Kirby = ... well never mind but still. If you're going to include the Kongs why not make this a Smash Bros sort of thing? Or is my inner fanboy showing?

While Link did make a guest appearance in SMRPG and goombas In Link's Awakening (although the whole game world was a dream), I'm pretty sure that Hyrule does not exist in the same universe. But I'm definitely sure that Popstar is not the same planet occupied by Mario and Link either. Popstar is simply far too different from either Link's or Mario's world.

The Smash Bros. universe is different.
You forgot halflings, which would bet better as N

injis than anyone else at the moment.

Agreed. I was originally thinking of making Halfling=Toads but I believe Halfling=Ninjis and Half-Elf=Toads will work out much better.

bob-ombs self destructive nature kind of makes me wonder if they're all that playable. Perhaps as Shifters?

Those were my thoughts. However, I agree more with Fireclave in that they aren't K.O.'ed after they explode. Bob-Ombs fit the self-destructive/furious nature of shifters. So, Shifters=Bob-Ombs.

What about other game characters in the same universe?

I included the Kongs as both a Homage to Donkey Kong, Jr. and because they appear in SMRPG.

So, we have elves and Teiflings left. Here's something I didn't include in the post about the remaining, viable races of the Mario-verse: Shy Guys. They're quick and prone to hiding/ranged weapons. I think they'll do just fine as Elves. Also, because Mousers seem charismatic and intelligent in PM, they'll have to do as Teiflings. Finally, now that Fireclave has brought Warforged to my attention, they'll make it into the campaign. They'll simply be a Mechakoopa or something of the like.

Daze is far too powerful an effect for an at-will.

Super agree. Besides, I want less to change and/or add mechanics to the already well-balanced game. I want simply to change the fluff associated with powers, exploits, spells, etc. If anyone has any suggestions regarding those and/or monsters, please, feel free to post.

*points at Gnoll for Chain Chomps*

Like this! Dully noted. Thanks!
Well, I see that you are very creative.

There is a problem with the races:
Koopa Troopas, Goombas, and the like are not very suitable to become PC's- they will most likely become Monsters of the sort.

-Humans, Toads, Star People, and Bumpties are good for PC's
-Most of the races are good for NPC's

Representing the worlds will be difficult, as there are no Super Mario tiles, although you could make some homemade Tiles. Just be sure that the tiles are 1" x 1" squares as always. Making difficult terrain is also a headache, but there are so many things to manage in a world as well.

Also, representing the Characters will be difficult to manage. Ther are no Super Mario miniatures, but it would be neat if there were. It is a challenge to manage characters when the character you are playing as doesn't exist as a miniature, although it is essential to have at least something to represent your character (don't get me wrong).

Getting the feats and the powers will take some time, as you need to come up with how the powers will work in any given situation.

If the Abilities (Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma) are kept, then you probably have saved some stress for yourself, for coming up with a new ability(ies) will cause some twists and turns in your creation. Renaming an ability will not be so hard, but you need to carry that over to other pieces of information that had the original ability's name into them.

- Strength: Commonplace ability- represents your character's ability to move objects out of the way and increases a melee attack's power.
- Dexterity: Important ability- represents how fast your character moves and reacts, and also determines your character's defenses (AC, Reflex).
- Constitution: Mandatory ability- represents your character's health and stamina, and also determines your character's resistance to poison (Fortitude).
- Intelligence: Important ability- represents your character's ability to learn new things.
- Wisdom: Commonplace ability- represents how well your character resists charms and their effects (Will).
- Charisma: Commonplace ability- represents how your character reacts and reasons and determines physical attractiveness.

Make the Base ability scores 10- 11 (+0 modifier), and go from there.

Phew! I'm getting tired here! wish you the best of luck on this Super Mario RPG!

- Zack

Resident Paladin of Insane Imaginations

PbP Haven Group (Relocated) & My Groups
If you missed the old Play-by-Post Haven, don't fret! You still have a chance to play with others in the community! Click here to go to the new Play-by-Post Haven!

Currently active groups
I am DM'ing:
Heroes' Last Stand; Worlds Abroad; City of Ruins
Currently playing in:
Worlds Abroad (Nelasene, Human Dreamweaver -- Lv. 22; Raiann Firescale, Dragonborn Arcane Monk -- Lv. 22)
Fable [4e] (Karinna, Dragonborn Warlord -- Lv. 1)
Lolth's Purging: Shadows of Treachery (Kuri Evanglar, Shardmind Wizard -- Lv. 15)
City of Ruins [Kobold City] (Karnat Lightsoul, Kobold Cleric -- Lv. 1)
City of Ruins [Frozen Citadel] (Xeadin, Human Paladin -- Lv. 1)

Mirthomir (Enara Harpsong, Eladrin Wizard -- Lv. 1)
Last Breaths of Ashenport (Malkary Runestone, Goliath Runepriest -- Lv. 8)
D&D Modern Worlds Haven

Miss playing in a Modern setting? Want to get a group together? Don't miss out on the brand new opportunity to do so in the Modern Worlds Haven forums

Wanna have fun with the monster creator in the DMG or on the DDI website, and don't know where else to put them?

Post your unique creations here in any one of the threads matching the first letter of your monster. You can post as many creations as you like.
Happy building! ;)

D&D Homebrew and Open Game Content Wiki

Expand your D&D game with the Dungeons & Dragons Homebrew and Open Game Content Wiki!

Covers everytihng from Canon to 3.5 Homebrew and Open game content, and even to Homebrew 4e content. Will soon have content from my upcoming RPG.

Bob-omb = Bladeling

This may be of help: http://www.mariowiki.com/Species

edit: nevermind, Bladeling = Spiny (http://www.mariowiki.com/Spiny)
There is a problem with the races:
Koopa Troopas, Goombas, and the like are not very suitable to become PC's- they will most likely become Monsters of the sort.

Goombario, Goombella, Parakarry, Kooper, and Koops strongly disagrees with you :P

Also, representing the Characters will be difficult to manage. Ther are no Super Mario miniatures, but it would be neat if there were. It is a challenge to manage characters when the character you are playing as doesn't exist as a miniature, although it is essential to have at least something to represent your character (don't get me wrong).

Nothing a few quarters, printer, cardstock paper, glue, and a google image search won't fix.

Getting the feats and the powers will take some time, as you need to come up with how the powers will work in any given situation.

If the Abilities (Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma) are kept, then you probably have saved some stress for yourself, for coming up with a new ability(ies) will cause some twists and turns in your creation. Renaming an ability will not be so hard, but you need to carry that over to other pieces of information that had the original ability's name into them.

I hope I don't sound rude by asking this, but you do realize that the OP is, for the most part, importing 4e whole-sale and reflavoring everything?

Bob-omb = Bladeling

This may be of help: http://www.mariowiki.com/Species

edit: nevermind, Bladeling = Spiny (http://www.mariowiki.com/Spiny)

Actually, I think bladelings make a very good fit for bob-ombs as their racial abilitie, IIFK, is a close blast 1, which closely resembles the bom-omb's signiture ability. While both bladelings and spinies are sharp, spinies lack such explosive capabilities. A better fit for them, I think, would be some race that had a built it counter power of some sort, as the spinies' primary shtick was screwing you over for getting too close or trying to attack them. But I've haven't seen any official races with said abilities.
Representing the worlds will be difficult.

Not a problem. I use graph paper for the tiles. I use a Sharpie for the terrain features. I use M&M's for the miniatures.
Hey! I just thought about this-

Dry Bones= Skeletons

Way too obvious, I know, but nobody mentioned that!

Dry Bones, as you know, could not be defeated by any means in the Mario series. That was very annoying. It's like 'You throw a shell at a Dry Bones, and then it comes back together. EEK!'

In this Mario RPG, I was thinking:
If you were to attack it with a jump move, a punch, or a shell, then the Dry Bones would repair itself within 1d4 rounds, or immediately after the encounter ends. If you managed a critical hit on it (natural 20), the you would be able to dispatch it for good. The Dry Bones would be a Minion- 1 hit destroys it, but it would have a power that instantly repairs itself within 1d4 rounds or after the enconter ends. Since they are almost indestructible, I'd recommend not having the PC's facing a whole army of Dry Bones- that would be bad!

If you missed the old Play-by-Post Haven, don't fret! You still have a chance to play with others in the community! Click here to go to the new Play-by-Post Haven!

Currently active groups
I am DM'ing:
Currently playing in:
Worlds Abroad (Nelasene, Human Dreamweaver -- Lv. 22; Raiann Firescale, Dragonborn Arcane Monk -- Lv. 22)
Lolth's Purging: Shadows of Treachery (Kuri Evanglar, Shardmind Wizard -- Lv. 15)

D&D Modern Worlds Haven

Miss playing in a Modern setting? Want to get a group together? Don't miss out on the brand new opportunity to do so in the Modern Worlds Haven forums

Wanna have fun with the monster creator in the DMG or on the DDI website, and don't know where else to put them?

Post your unique creations here in any one of the threads matching the first letter of your monster. You can post as many creations as you like.
Happy building! ;)

Expand your D&D game with the Dungeons & Dragons Homebrew and Open Game Content Wiki!

Covers everytihng from Canon to 3.5 Homebrew and Open game content, and even to Homebrew 4e content. Will soon have content from my upcoming RPG.

Not a problem. I use graph paper for the tiles. I use a Sharpie for the terrain features. I use M&M's for the miniatures.

Hey! There you go!

Currently active groups
I am DM'ing:
Currently playing in:

D&D Modern Worlds Haven

Happy building! ;)

What about Peach?

Currently active groups
I am DM'ing:
Currently playing in:

D&D Modern Worlds Haven

Happy building! ;)

What about Peach?

What about her?
Maybe it would be better to make a full list the the Mario monster that you want and put it on a post. Then add the monster to that list as they are suggested. It would also help people think of the monsters to substitute.
Prinsess Peach is basically a human.

hello everybody!!!!!!!

Prinsess Peach is basically a human.

True. But in the Mario Series, she was almost always the Damsel in Distress. In this one, it seems as though there would be some random character to save or something out of the ordinary. Hey! Maybe we could have the adventures end with saving one of the Toads from a boss, or something of the sort! I don't know... I'm just throwing ideas out here. It could work, somehow.

I wonder how it would work without having to reconstruct the ENTIRE Mario structure. That seems like the main challenge.

Currently active groups
I am DM'ing:
Currently playing in:

D&D Modern Worlds Haven

Happy building! ;)

True. But in the Mario Series, she was almost always the Damsel in Distress. In this one, it seems as though there would be some random character to save or something out of the ordinary. Hey! Maybe we could have the adventures end with saving one of the Toads from a boss, or something of the sort! I don't know... I'm just throwing ideas out here. It could work, somehow.

I wonder how it would work without having to reconstruct the ENTIRE Mario structure. That seems like the main challenge.

Mario saves non-Peach type people all the time. Saving Peach is simply the defacto campaign ender for most Mario games. For example, PM2 opens with you saving Goombella, a goomba, from some thugs. And she's only the first of many people you help along the way in that one game alone. So even if the OP's campaign is centered around Mario and his exploits (and the OP made no such affirmation AFAIK) no reconstruction of the Mario structure would be necessary.
Race wise I think it'd be better to attempt to construct the mario races based on phb races, but make some mechanical alterations where they are needed instead of saying "Kongs are just goliaths". While reflavoring like that will get you close it just seems like it's lacking something. Here are some of my thoughts I just threw together, they may need a little work to obtain perfect balance but o well.

I tried to get as many diffrent stat arrangements as I could so players would have alot of options

Bob-bom
speed 5
+2 CON +2 WIS
+2 endurance +2 perception
+1 racial bonus to fort
Racial encounter - Ba-Boom
minor action - close burst 1
str, dex, or con +2
1d6+con mod fire dmg
-------------------------

Beanie
speed 6
+2 STR +2 CHA
+2 Athletics +2 Diplomacy
+1 will [+5 save vs charm]
Racial power - Healing sun
[as longtooth shifter regen when bloodied encounter power]

-----------------

Boo
speed 5 hover
+2 Dex +2 Wis
+2 stealth +2 religion
Reactive Stealth [as gnome]
Racial Encounter - Go ghost
[as shardi-ki (or however you spell it) from MM. Insubstancial till end of your next turn.]

-----------------

Goomba

I have to say that kobold fits goomba perfectly in my opinion. No change needed.

----------------

Kong
speed 6
+2 STR +2 CON
+2 intimidate +2 athletics
Powerful Athlete - roll climb and jump checks twice taking better result.

Racial encounter - Super smash Immediate reaction - when you hit an enemy you may push them 3 squares.

-------------------

Koopa
speed 5
+2 STR +2 CON
+2 endurace +2 streetwise
+1 racial bonus to AC
Shell's Defence - minor action
gain resist 5 dmg until end of your next turn [as goliath]

-------------------

Magi-Koopa

I think Eladrin are perfect here.

---------------

Shy guy
+2 DEX +2 CHA
+2 bluff +2 thievery
Sly shy - When you roll a thievery check roll twice and take the higher result.

racial power - Try again [as elven accuracy]

--------------

Toads

+2 STR +2 WIS
+2 heal +2 perception
Stand tough - reduce the amount you are pushed, pulled, or slid by one square.

Racial encounter - Helpful hands minor action - close burst 5
You or an ally within range gains temp hp equal to 5+ your wis mod.

-----------------

Yoshi
speed 7
+2 CON +2 CHA
+2 nature +2 endurance
Powerful Tongue - You can use you con instead of str for grab attacks.

Saddle up - One Medium size or smaller character can use you as a mount.

Racial encounter - Gobble down Standard action - range 3
str, con, or dex +2 vs Ref
1d8+con mod dmg. You pull the target adjacent to you. The target is grabbed.

------------------

Star people (like geno)

I think Deva will do just fine for them.

-----------------

Puni
Size Small
Speed 6
+2 STR +2 DEX
+2 acrobatics +2 nature
Oversize weapon mastery - Tho small a puni can use two-handed weapons.

Racial encounter - Super size
minor action - You also expend a healing surge with no benifit.

You grow 2 size catogories [making you large] until the end of the encounter or until you become unconcious. This effectivly raises your weapons dice twice [1d12 - 2d6 - 2d8...its a nice damage jump but you have to blow a surge so i dont think it's overpowered]

-------------------------

Bumpities (penguinfolk?)
speed 5
+2 CON +2 INT
+2 insight +2 athletics (+5 for swim checks)
resist cold 5+1/2 lvl
+2 speed while charging
Webbed feet - you ignore difficult terrain when you shift.

Racial encounter - Slip n Slide
Standard action - can be done on charge
str, con, dex +2 vs Fort
1[w]+Con mod dmg

------------------

King Koopa (bowser like koopa)
+2 STR +2 INT
+1 racial bonus to AC
Koopa breath [as dragonborn encounter]

-----------------

Lakitu (might have misspelled that)
speed 5 hover
+2 INT + 2 CHA
+2 history +2 diplomacy
Racial encounter - Spiky bomb
Standard action - range 10
int, wis, cha +2 vs ref
1d8 and the target is knocked prone.

-------------

Cloudfolk (mallow)
+2 WIS +2 CHA
+2 history +2 religion
knowledge of the past - you may roll history checks twice and use the higher result.

second chance [as halfling]?

------------------

I think thats about all the pc races I can think of. As far as jumping on people goes i'd just make boots a weapon

Jump boots +3 prof 1d10 dmg
counts as two-handed

Jump shoes +3 prof 1d6 dmg
counts as off hand weapon

Super jump boots (superior weapon) +3 prof 1d12 dmg

Super jump shoes (superior weapon) +3 prof 1d8 dmg

boots can be enchanted like hammers. Shoes like light blades.

--------------

I'd also make mushrooms potions at half or 30% of the cost but they'd go bad and turn into poison mushrooms after a week or two (because if the cost as much as pots there wont be alot of mushroom use and what fun is that)

Poison mushroom (if eaten)
4 + 1/2 level of shroom vs fort
lose 2 healing surges

-----------------

Anyways thats what I think. Everyone feel free to critique my races and ideas, I know they aren't perfectly balanced.
Well then, I just find this simply an awesome idea indeed, and I hope I'm not too late in contributing to this thread.

In regards to monsters, Novacat made some excellent versions of the creatures in the mario universe I feel. I would like to see these guys get used, even if they're not official monsters.

Novacat's Nintendo Monsters

In regards to races, maybe Half Orc could actually = Kong's? As Halforcs do have the whole ability to deliver one deadly punch. Otherwise, I'm sure some other strong race could possible fit in there, maybe.

As for Toadstool race, ye could consider the Wilden Playtest race, they be fairy plant people. If ye have Insider, or a friend does, ye could make use of it, here's the link: Wilden Playtest

I also support the idea of Yoshi's being half elves, Bomb-Omb's = Bladelings, and Kobolds = Goombas.

Humans=Humans
Dwarves=Koopa Troopas
Gnomes=Boos
Eladrin=Star People
Devas=Ancients (Merlin People)
Dragonborn=Bowser Koopas
Goliaths=Kongs
Half-Orcs=Goombas

Also to maybe help add to that galaxy idea, perhaps it can be thought of as the "planar" equivalent it is in 4th edition. Also that, 21st-30th level, space faring adventures will be commonplace, maybe they'll even face a villain from the Kirby series if ye desired.

So, 1-10th, mushroom kingdom, Yoshi's Island perhaps,
11th-20th, the other lands of course, bean realm, perhaps sunshine place as well.
21-30th, entire Super Mario Galaxies

Also, ye could implement idea such as there being a galactic tournament, where the greatest warriors gather, called "Super Smash Bros". Also, Yoshi races could be doable as well.

I'm glad such a thread is made, I hope I was some help in some form. I was thinking of a different approach to this universe, the idea of a Justice League for Nintendo, a JLN, or as I'd call it, "Nintendo All Stars". If ye do use that idea, perhaps the PC's would get hired by the "All Stars" at around 11th-20th level or so.

Oh I'm aware you're using 4th edition and all, but there was also a D20 version of this game made prior, "Mario D20" it was called, here's the site to where ye can find it. It might help ye with some ideas for things, and it has some other minor stuff too.

Mario D20

EDIT: Also, here's a Donkey Kong someone created over on "some other forum", by the name of "LogicNiinja". As thus it is not my creation, this was shown to me by a friend of mine in fact.

Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong
Level 11 Solo Brute
Initiative: +10 ------ Senses: Perception +8; low-light vision
HP 428; Bloodied 214
AC 25; Fortitude 24, Reflex 24, Will 22
Saving Throws +5
Speed 8
Action Points 2
Kong Smash (standard; at-will)
--Reach 2; +14 vs. AC; 1d6+4 damage and knock prone.

Kong Fury (standard; at-will)
--Donkey Kong makes two Kong Smash attacks. These can be against the same or two different targets.

Barrel Toss (standard; at-will)
Donkey Kong seizes a barrel or other suitable object and hurls it at the target. Ranged 5/10; +12 vs. Reflex; 2d6+6 and knock prone. The sq -Miss: the square behind the target becomes difficult terrain.

Ground Pound(standard; encounter; recharge 6)
--Close Burst 2; +12 vs. Fort; 2d8+6 damage and knock prone.

Monkeying Around (standard; encounter; recharge 5 6)
Donkey Kong jumps 4 squares, and can end this movement in an enemy's square. If he does, he makes a Kong Smash attack against that enemy and gainst Combat Advantage for that attack. He can then either slide the enemy 1 and end his movement, or jump 4 more squares, but must end this movement in an unoccupied square.
-Critical hit: If Donkey Kong gets a critical hit while using this power, he immediately recovers and uses this power again rather than completing his movement. When using this power, Donkey Kong scores critical hits on a roll of 19 or 20.

Donkey Punch (immediate reaction, when an enemy moves to a position where it flanks Donkey Kong; at-will)
--Donkey Kong attacks the enemy with a Kong Smash attack, except instead of knocking it prone he pushes it 1 square.

Skills: Athletics +20; Acrobatics +20
Sign In to post comments