Lords of Creation RETURNS! The OOC Thread

4676 posts / 0 new
Last post
See Below
"Lords of Creation” is one of the most addictive forum games you’ll ever encounter. You might recall one of the earlier versions, played on these boards and the 3.5 boards. If you saw it and wanted to join but the collective history was too daunting, fear not; now is your chance.

This is a play-by-post cooperative world-building game in which the players take on the role of gods, with the full powers and influence thereof. The goal of this is to produce a campaign world complete with history, pantheon, geography, races, creatures, and anything you could possibly imagine. One of the best elements is that the world is entirely organic; ancient wars, cultural growth, and divine conflicts are actually the result of warring interests, rather than being pulled whole cloth from a single person’s imagination. This provides diversity that you just can’t find anywhere else.

And of course, we have a LOT of fun along the way.

To facilitate play and later use, we also have a wikia where game information (such as homebrew races, maps, classes, etc) will be posted: http://lordsofcreation.wikia.com

You can find the basic rules here: http://lordsofcreation.wikia.com/wiki/Basic_Rules

And we also ask that you read these basic guidelines: http://lordsofcreation.wikia.com/wiki/Guidelines

Currently the Admins (and their gods) of the game are:
ff6shadow: Veros
Wyld Mutation: Xirinet
Topheh: Nixis

Currently the Players (and their gods) of the game are:
Mechalibur: Shurka
MassiveAttack: Mara
Angelofthenight: Vymrl
Aradeia: The Empress
Nerdzul: Hensen Jijou
Tinwe: Hammu
Xeadin: Torvek
Aldii: Eijra
Chapien: Azor'Chapien
AnubisDread: Chroma
XiahouXhu: Starl
Honissia: Graxith
Riulenna Toshonk: RedDaffodil

Inactive Players
Not having posted in 4 turns will place you on this list. If you have found yourself on this list, you will no longer be included on the turn reset for PP. Simply PM me of your return, and resume play as normal. You will return to the active list as soon as I see you posting again.
Shinobicow: Il'tharas
Moondoggy: Ythrexle
wizdude47: Frellisk
The_Orius: Oravalos
Delfedd: Chactross
MatthewSwift: Neko
Novatack: Nocturne
Mostly Ghostly: Oreb Nahash
Voodooguy: Ka
Half_Dragon_Infernal: Runescar
Aldii: Zophia
GrimPoet: Siccadan
Malltrick: Roan
RUMPLESTIX: Ipsur
Camu: Tsarokga-Noggoth
Lord Mephistopheles: Jormundrasil
Ritreaude: Drahthor
Live-Laugh-Love: Sessilee
IncarnationsEnd: Incarnations End

Dead Gods
These are the gods that have died for one reason or another. They are incapable of returning without the original player agreeing, as well as passing it by an admin.
Thought: Xa'an
Space_Dragon: Thans
Sinasilver: Yoglith

Retired Players
These are players who have been forced to quit for one reason or another. Their gods may or may not return to active play.
Armisael: Cygnus
Ganryu: The Void

If you are interested in playing, please post your interest in this thread here and PM one (or more) of the admins. We'll let you know when you can post in the IC thread. Please use the following format:

Name:
Domain:
Physical Appearance:
Symbol:

To note, every god starts off with 3pp worth of domains. This might be one Greater domain or several Lesser domains. Those listed on the Wikia are only suggested domains; feel free to come up with your own.

The game will begin as soon as we have enough player interest. So let’s get creating!

Waiting List:

http://community.wizards.com/play-by-post_haven The Play-by-Post recruitment hub for the forums. Stop by, join us, and sign up for some games while you are there

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
I am interested.
Looks interesting...

Just wondering, how exactly does a god have a personal appearance? Is it the form they are in the most?
Resident generic resident.
Right. Appearance is your most common form. Given your a god you can appear however you like. It just provides a point of reference when you haven't stated your current form.

http://community.wizards.com/play-by-post_haven The Play-by-Post recruitment hub for the forums. Stop by, join us, and sign up for some games while you are there

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
Since I was in the last one, this sparked my interest. How did the last one end? I checked the thread, but it seemed to lack a bit of punch as an ending, for some reason. Did it end by player accord or was it cut?
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
I ended it after we started losing players left and right. The thread had gotten large enough that we weren't drawing in new people, and the older ones started quitting.

When I stated it was over, there were only 4 active players left, including myself. So I let everbody know there would be no more refreshes, and that they should finish everything up with what they had left.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
Aaah. What a pity, a Ragnarok or supremacy of a single god would have been pretty interesting.

A little question: D'you know about the other LoC threads? (Scroll down to Miscellaneous PbP) They use a different system, which might interest you.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
Yeah, 155 pages of in game text is sort of daunting to new players (and another 110 pages of OOC coments). I had been trying to create an abridged history, but couldn't catch up. Something like that really needs to be started when the game starts.

It was also hard to get the old wikia up to date as well; hopefully starting at the beginning will work better.
Well, I had reached the point where I could single handedly take down any of the other gods, so I had supremacy fairly well in hand. And Sinasilver used his last action to launch an all out battle on the forces of Thrael'kriss.

Besides, the end goal is to create a usable setting. A world ruined by an apocalypse isn't quite as useful as one that you can destroy yourself.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
What my post meant wasn't that. After all, Planescape had an ending in "Die, Vecna, Die!", yet people didn't feel forced to use it after the end, instead running it before that. The same happens with interim FR, the time between 3.X and 4e, which is marred by the spellplague. The point of the post was that an ending is a way to create a "full" setting, preventing the stagnation of whatever comes out of the minds of the players. This way, the main problems of an ongoing story (namely, maniacs running the asylum and stupid decisions, along with derailment) are averted, preserving the works before a disaster of comic book proportions happens. After all, works have been made using the Norse mythology, even though we know it ends in Ragnarok. The same can happen with a setting.
Just for Clarification, in Norse mythology Ragnarok DID happen. And it happened long before any ancestors you've ever heard of. After the end of the world repopulated humanity as they magically survived the floods, fires, and crumbling earth in a cave. ;)

But now.. I go to work. Curse money's necessity!
I would love to play. I was one of the many who discovered the game quite a while after it had started, and due to the long waiting list and rapidly increasing post count, I never joined, though it looked like an incredible amount of fun.
I want to play...

what are the avaiable domains? I did not see a list anywhere in the wiki

nevermind I found the examples.
Count me back in :D

Name:-
Domain: Decay, Fungus
Physical Appearance: A shapeless rotting mass covered with all kinds of molds and fungi
Symbol:-

Still thinking of a name

I suppose fungus counts as a lesser domain
Well we're getting a good number of players, so I suspect Shadow will drop the IC thread sometime soon (today maybe).

I've added a "waiting list" to the original post. Since the In Character thread hasn't been posted yet, everyones "waiting" but that will be changing soon. If you aren't on the list, I just haven't seen that you submitted a request to join; so post here and send us all a PM.

I suppose it might be useful if the Admins posted our gods as well.

Name: Xa'an
Greater Domain: Light
Alignment: Unaligned (to note, all gods start out this way)
Appearance: Vaguely lens/helix shaped, Xa'an takes the form of a swirling cloud of colors (most commonly orange-to-blue or teal-to-red), spiraling to the center where a single blindingly luminous point of light resides. This point is often hidden or obscurred by the swirling colors.
Symbol: Two comet-like balls of color forming a lens set at an angle. A third comet-like ball of color passes over one tail and under the other. These are most often primary colors (red, blue, and green) though primary pigments (magenta, cyan, and yellow) are used on occasion.
I would love to play.
At thought's suggestion.. My god.

Name: Yoglith
Greater Domains: Time
Moderate Domains: N/A
Lesser Domains: N/A
Alignment: Unaligned
Physical Appearance: A hairless tauric-beast with six legs, four arms, a thick muscular tail, and leathery wings.
Symbol: Pitted Iron Borromean rings on a red field.
I want to play...

what are the avaiable domains? I did not see a list anywhere in the wiki

nevermind I found the examples.

I just want to make sure people know. The examples.. Are just examples. There are rules on the Wiki for what goes where, and one can make up domains of their own easily enough.
Note to all: There was a last minute change to the rules. Specifically, the shape populace actions have been redistributed. Instead of being divided by PC/Monsterous races, its been divided by tier, just like the spawn beasts actions. Only more expensive (Lesser/Moderate/Greater=2/3/4PP).

Once the game actually starts, however, we will try to keep the rules static. The only forseen exception to this would be if something game-breaking comes up.

Also, added you, Delfedd, to the waiting list.

Shadow said he'll drop the IC thread later today after he gets back from work.

EDIT: Which, I suppose, will probably be around late afternoon/early evening in the U.S.
Name: Chactross
Greater Domain Fire
Appearance Chactross is little more than fire given a mind, although deep within the flame lies a shadow.
Symbol None, Chactross is beyond these petty concerns.
I must say, I'm really digging the whole "formless, shifting concept-god" theme we've got going here.
yeah

I'm considering changing mine though, before we begin
I personally think that is a really cool thing for early gods. What i'm planning on doing is eventually give my deity more and more form, until it is clear.
Not sure if I should join so early... But then, classes will be slowing down after this week so maybe I'll throw in my hat as well

Name: Neko
Greater Domains: Water
Physical appearance: none. Just a voice. At the moment I am a part of all water.
Alignment: Unaligned
Symbol: A lone bubble.
We'd love to have you, Matt, but Void is very similar to the "nothingness" of Ganryu's proposed character. Though certainly if he changes his mind...
I'm changing my deity from a life godess to a fire god.
Right, the IC thread has been created and Shadow should be starting soon. Gods will be added one or two at a time. Please don't post until you have approval.

To help get things going, the first 3 gods will be given 9pp to start with. Everyone else will get 6pp. To note, all new gods get 6pp for their first turn regardless of when they enter. But at the first reset after a god joins, it drops down to 4pp and we all have to work up from there.
I felt it would not be in character for me to be second or third to post. Indeed, I have already posted. If I just did something n00bish, tell me. I'm new to this :P

Edit: Damn I noticed I should have waited for Shadow's post. Crap. I cannot delete my post either.
Name: Oravolos
Domain:Nature
Physical Appearance: Varies constantly between the phases of life. Thus, Oravolos appears as one of three forms. A young boy with striking green eyes and brown hair, with homespun trousers and tunic. A man in the prime of his life resplendent in the trappings of a warrior and hunter, wielding a huge cleft spear. His final form is that of an old man, with a long flowing grey beard and brown tattered robes and he leans heavily on a gnarled old wooden staff.

Symbol: A tree divided down the middle. One side is green and lush, the other dead and withered.
No problem. It'll be fine. I was going to suggest you be the next to post, but it's not a problem.

By the way, everybody who has been told they are approved, make sure you get your gods stats here in the thread, so we can begin approving new posters.

My god
Name: Veros
Greater Domain: Knowledge
Appearance: Little more than a floating grey blob of an unidentified substance.
Symbol: None at the moment

As of my post, Thought, Ganryu, Delfedd, Camu and Sinasilver are free to post. Thought and SInasilver have 9, the rest have 6.

Reasoning:
Thought - I created a light to see by, even if it did go out
Ganryu - The Void existed first, but did not gain sentience until it has existance as a foil.
Delfedd - The light I created was a flame
Camu - Everything begins to decay as soon as it exists. The chunk of land will begin to decay, and the flame I created decayed into nothing once more
Sinasilver - As soon as something has a mind to notice the passing of Time, time becomes a viable concept.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
I've got this image of the grey continent surrounded by an ocean floating on... nothing. anyone else feel this way?
And Ghostly's god has been created, so feel free to enter with 6pp.

A double tap on Camu, since there are now plants (sort of) to decay.

And Orius, you have an in to appear if you want (there are "plants" which count as nature).

Of course, if anyone wants to be created specifically, rather than just appearing (its a little more dramatic that way) let us know.
Also, there's an ocean and earth. And presumably air.

EDIT: I have been informed that there is no air.
Yeah, thats about it right now. Going to take more than 3 PP to create a solid world. And I'm thinking there is no air. Nobody has created it.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
Yup, aether is different than air. Probably too thin for normal terrestrial creatures to breath it, though it is breathable by certain things.

Edit: Here, have a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aether_(classical_element)
Something else to bring up, that might not be immediately visible in the wikia, is the Guidelines section. It's a good idea to give it a read.

http://lordsofcreation.wikia.com/wiki/Guidelines

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
yeah i am picturing a floating island in a 3 dimensional sea of aether right now.

I am down with that!

incoming nature!
Yup. something like that.

Also, there is an ocean around this island.
QUESTION: I created a greater domain of balance, but I was going for evolution. Would this be a greater domain or a moderate domain under balance?

since evolution is mostly balance of nature?
The Orius, it seems to me that Balance and Evolution are two distinct concepts.

Edit: That is a good question. Evolution seems to me to be more of a Moderate domain, but it nees to be run by Thought or Sinasilver first. For now, leave it at 3 PP. Also, as a mention now, evolution exists, but without PP expediture, it doesn't have any in game effect.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote: