Campaign builder tool

397 posts / 0 new
Last post
For PCs, adding conditions and applying damage is greyed out. Is that normal behavior or am I doing something wrong? Tracking conditions has never been our strong side, so it'd be nice from time to time.

This is as designed. Due to the complexity of modelling PCs, Masterplan assumes that players are capable of tracking their own characters' hit points and so on.

On the same token, could there be a warning displayed when you start the turn of a creature that is stunned, dazed or suffering from another condition that affects the number of actions to take? It got late yesterday and I had already rolled the attack of a creature that I then realized was stunned.

I'll put that on the list.

One question regarding maps. I set one up using Dungeon Tiles, only to find that I had no way to tell the program which tiles grant cover (statues and the likes). We sometimes use a different tile system with cardboard-made walls (which are a square wide), so I'm wondering whether there's a way to tell the mapper to consider some tiles blocking. The same would probably apply to squares that provide cover and block line of sight as effect of a power (I notioced the overlay-function, and I loved it.).

This isn't in the current version, but it's coming.
This isn't in the current version, but it's coming.

Very much looking forward to it, thanks .
Can this program facilitate remote gaming in and of itself (ala Fantasy Grounds or MapTool), or is it just a cool way to plan campaigns?

Yes you can use it to do gaming.

But

To make it work well, imo, you need a second monitor and then something like TightVNC, which is free, a remote viewer. That's what I do in my weekly game and it works GREAT! Further, multiple people can connect to it, so you can have more than one site see it.

turlough
To make it work well, imo, you need a second monitor and then something like TightVNC, which is free, a remote viewer. That's what I do in my weekly game and it works GREAT! Further, multiple people can connect to it, so you can have more than one site see it.

I havn't used the PlayerView yet, but that sounds like a great solution for a problem my group has been facing, and using a webcam to cover the map never really cut it.

Another question, unrelated: do you have the possibility to run skill challenges with the tool, or at least have the apropriate DCs displayed in list view and not only when editing it? Even better would be a way to tick off certain rolls and get the additions to other chesks automatically added. And what about a combination of skill challenges and combat encounters? Or multiple challenges in parallel, as per the recent RSC article... Or... yes, shutting up now.

One last thing, the possibility to arrange plotpoints vertically, i.e. form different rows despite links.
Another question, unrelated: do you have the possibility to run skill challenges with the tool, or at least have the apropriate DCs displayed in list view and not only when editing it? Even better would be a way to tick off certain rolls and get the additions to other chesks automatically added. And what about a combination of skill challenges and combat encounters? Or multiple challenges in parallel, as per the recent RSC article... Or... yes, shutting up now.

You can add skill challenges to encounters, yes.
The rest is in the works.
I'm trying to put master plan on my laptop, I downloaded 6.7 off the website, got the DT1 library and uploaded my monster manual library, but when I try to make a map it says I have no libraries available, and when I check libraries its not registering either of them.
I'm trying to put master plan on my laptop, I downloaded 6.7 off the website, got the DT1 library and uploaded my monster manual library, but when I try to make a map it says I have no libraries available, and when I check libraries its not registering either of them.

Make sure the libraries are in the same folder as Masterplan. The next time you run it, it should pick them up.
They're in the same folder, but libraries says no libraries are installed.
They're in the same folder, but libraries says no libraries are installed.

Even after restarting Masterplan?

Since the forums are being taken offline, might be best to take this to the Facebook page.
Well found the probable cause, I just wiped this laptop, and I left windows update running, but now that I've checked it out it appear the computer freezes when running windows update (old, crappy laptop) so I don't have .net 3.5 installed.
Well found the probable cause, I just wiped this laptop, and I left windows update running, but now that I've checked it out it appear the computer freezes when running windows update (old, crappy laptop) so I don't have .net 3.5 installed.

I'm amazed it runs at all without .NET installed.

Hi, First off I want to say that I love this app and I recently got a few other members of my group hooked as well.  Anyway I have a request, is there anyway to change the creature tokens on the combat encounters?

Hi, First off I want to say that I love this app and I recently got a few other members of my group hooked as well.  Anyway I have a request, is there anyway to change the creature tokens on the combat encounters?

Not currently, but it'll be available soon.

You sir are some sort of sorcerer.

Me too, really looking forward to being able to set custom tokes for creatures and players.. my players are not impressed with the current setup.. so would really like to see that as soon as possible...

cheers, thanks for a great tool.

Me too, really looking forward to being able to set custom tokes for creatures and players.. my players are not impressed with the current setup.. so would really like to see that as soon as possible...

cheers, thanks for a great tool.

Version 6.9 is now available for download, and includes the ability to set custom images for creature tokens.

Will the wonders ever end?  Seriously, this tool has become a must have for my group and I give a silent thanks to you everytime we use it.

Will the wonders ever end?  Seriously, this tool has become a must have for my group and I give a silent thanks to you everytime we use it.

Glad you like it; the most useful thing you (and anyone else) can do in return is to publicise it everywhere you can!

I am really impressed with this. I downloaded it for the tile mapping, but the other features look good too. Over the last two days I have designed three encounters nd a skill challenge.

A few points:

When my son ties to run it from his account, it crashes straightaway. This is on WinXPHome. Do you have to be an administrator?

A useful feature on the tile mapper would be if you could click ctrl-d to duplicate the currently selected tile. Also, it would be good if you could save while still working on the map.

For skill challenges, options for automatic successes and automatic failures (eg, if you try to intimidate the lord, automatic failure). Also, some way to show that succes or failure at one stage allows a new skill check (eg, you need to succeed with perception to find someone, and then you get new opportinities to talk to him).

The ability to import monsters from the Monster Builder (which now allows XML exports) would also be neat.

For skill challenges, options for automatic successes and automatic failures (eg, if you try to intimidate the lord, automatic failure). Also, some way to show that succes or failure at one stage allows a new skill check (eg, you need to succeed with perception to find someone, and then you get new opportinities to talk to him).

This can be stated in the details or you can not fill in the success field and only fill in the failure field.  My suggestion about this part is to do away with the tabs and stack the fields, this would make copying and pasting into it easier.  I often type what I am wanting into a word processor and then go from there (helps with spell checking and such).  It is not so bad to have to copy all the text into the details and then move bit by bit but if the fields were all visable at once it would be easier.

The ability to import monsters from the Monster Builder (which now allows XML exports) would also be neat.

If you download the compendium addin that is available on the site you can import saved HTML pages.  After finishing your custom monster just save the page as a HTML only file and then from within Masterplan go to Tools -> Addins -> Compendium -> add File.  Select the file you saved and there is your custom monster.

My only issue with the import is that when you go to the "powers" section of the monster in the library the attack bonus and defense is not auto filled, it is put into the details of the power but you have to manually put it into the field above.  However I understand how touchy this could be to code so I am not that worried about it since the end result is the same output.

I do have one other thing I would like to suggest.  I am not sure if I am just missing it or what but when I go and start creating encounters I don't have a way to filter the list to only show creatures within a certain level range.  Say I am making a easy encounter for a level 5 group, I may only want to show level 3-5 monsters.  This is not possible.  Also a preview pane for the monster would be nice.  Something that would show the stat block of the selected monster.  Lastly (and this is due to working on a laptop touchpad which is not as easy to click and drag as it is with a mouse) a button to add the monster would be nice.

The new version doesn't use the Compendium add-in; Compendium and Adventure Tools access is now built-in.

When my son ties to run it from his account, it crashes straightaway. This is on WinXPHome. Do you have to be an administrator?

I solved this. The issue was with file permissions. As long as the user has full control to all files in the directory it is okay.

I downloaded version 6.10 now, which will download all the monsters from the compendium. Which makes Wizards' Monster Builder superfluous.

Any chance of adding a feature to download traps too?

Yeah, I'm working on that now. It'll be in the next version.

Except those of us that are non windows...

If there's enough interest, I can certainly try to build a version for other platforms.

I realize this is an old post, but having just discovered your wonderful application last night, I'm wondering if a Mac port is in your plans at all. I run Windows on my iMac using VM software (mostly for the Character Builder), but it eats up a lot of resources and is a bit slow. A Mac port of Masterplan would be absolutely fantastic.

I have only tinkered around with the program so far, but I'm blown away. Great job!

I like the monster builder, but you only get the automated help with the one for unique monsters, not ones you add to the library. Could you implement the monster builder for the add to library function too?
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
Id love to see a Mac Compatible version of this software. Then i could run it off dropbox and enable me to use it on any computer. As my main pc is windows and my laptop is a mac. 

It would save me running virtual software or VNCing into my main computer, and would run  a lot faster. 

I tried running it with mono on mac however it throws up errors:
"libgluezilla not found. To have webbrowser support, you need libgluezilla installed"

and so on. I know this is a mono problem but if you were to make either a mac native or mono compatible version i would be able to run it on my laptop.
It seems the site is no more. Anyone have any info on what happened to it?
html_removed
It seems the site is no more. Anyone have any info on what happened to it?

Which site? www.habitualindolence.net/masterplan should still be up.

The new version doesn't use the Compendium add-in; Compendium and Adventure Tools access is now built-in.

I've recently downloaded the latest version and trying to get the hang of it. I've been able to import Monsters I exported in XML fine, but I'm not finding the Compendium support anywhere, is it still there? It isn't mentioned in the help file.

Also it would be nice if the maps (and images) could be zoomed in and out, and dragged within the window.

read the blog/notices on the Masterplan site.  Also you could make the suggestion on the Materplan Facebook page

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Just found this and fell in love immediatetly. Great tools, thanks!
89999524.png] Torglun Everith, Avenger/Rogue Hybrid.
Yet another fanboi here; Masterplan is a Godsend. It's almost too fully featured; I still haven't figured everything out.

Which leads me to my question: Why are there no .masterplan-files for download? I've googled and such and found nothing. Does anyone have a masterplan they'd be willing to share, or do you know where one can get them?

Thanks.
i'm having a helluva time finding map tiles for this program... why doesnt it come with any?  the link from the website leads nowhere. 
It doesn't come with any because they're copyrighted by WotC. The dungeon_tiles Yahoo group still has them though.
the link to the yahoo group does not work.  it just goes to a blank screen.
The group does exist though, I'm sure it can be found by other means.
Sign In to post comments