Campaign builder tool

397 posts / 0 new
Last post
Thanks to a fan of Masterplan, I have a site to host my add ons.

Go to this site to get my add ons.

Email or PM me if there is anything you want an add on to do or extra functionality in them! I love the challenge!

turlough
I saw that 6.3 is up, I was just wondering what's new?
I saw that 6.3 is up, I was just wondering what's new?

See version history here
NOTE: YOU CAN SKIP READING THIS, I'M DUMB MY MISTAKE.

Thanks to a fan of Masterplan, I have a site to host my add ons.

Go to this site to get my add ons.

Email or PM me if there is anything you want an add on to do or extra functionality in them! I love the challenge!

turlough

I would love to know how to add creatures from the compendium (the one on the wizards site where I am a DDi subscriber) to masterplan. Well you've already built the add-on but I can't wrap my head around so you have to pretend I'm really dumb when you explain it.

On your site I found something that's probably a tutorial on how to use it but I definatly don't understand it. I'm gonna go through this step by step.

Compendium add on: There are a few more instructions. It's not the best interface but here's how it works.

Press the login button first and in the area below the Web Page label a login will appear for the compendium. Go ahead and login. You might see an error in the web page but that's fine. (I need to fix that.) You are still logged into compendium.

What login button? I assume you are talking about the Wizards.com login button to access the compendium? But then you talk about some error that you need to fix so it's probably not on the wizards site (unless you work for them maybe).

Once that is done, select a directory to save the data. You can use the button next to it to choose a directory. I suggest making new directories for each group of data that you download.

Hmm where do I select a driectory from, what's going on right now, am I on the wizards.com site now or in the masterplan program, or are you just talking about making a folder ready for saving into?

Next, select what you want to download from the combo box. Let say you select Monsters.

What "combo box" , can I add more then just monsters from the compendium?

You can see that I am lost from the start on. This tutorial seems to assume you know how this add-on works but I can't even see where to begin.

Hopefully you can give me the blonde manual :D
Ok ignore my post. I was working with the compendium add-on I got from the Masterplan website and the other one of course showed me all those option you named in the tutorial. However when I "start at 1" and "Max data 10" it goes from 1 to 11 in start at (why would you go to 44 with max at 10 as you suggest in your tutorial). However the html are no creatures but files wich say

Server Error in '/' Application.<br /> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /> <br /> There is no row at position 0. <br /> Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. <br /> <br /> Exception Details: System.IndexOutOfRangeException: There is no row at position 0.<br /> <br /> Source Error: <br /> <br /> An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below. <br /> <br /> Stack Trace: <br /> <br /> <br /> [IndexOutOfRangeException: There is no row at position 0.]<br /> System.Data.RBTree`1.GetNodeByIndex(Int32 userIndex) +1551286<br /> System.Data.RBTree`1.get_Item(Int32 index) +19<br /> System.Data.DataRowCollection.get_Item(Int32 index) +11<br /> Compendium.monster.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in e:\DDiApps\trunk\Compendium\Compendium\source\web\monster.aspx.cs:29<br /> System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +14<br /> System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +35<br /> System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +99<br /> System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +50<br /> System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +627<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /> Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3082; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3082

and all 10 are like that.

I am just assuming I logged in succesfully but as you mentined it gives me a error

The resource cannot be found. <br /> Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly. <br /> <br /> Requested URL: /.aspx<br /> <br /> <br /> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /> Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3082; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3082

couldn't I log in?
I will look at this when I can but it won't be a for a day or two.

The problem is that I haven't done regression testing myself. I got the monsters and then kept using them, instead of getting them all again! So, I need to test my new version with the new version of masterplan as well as the monsters, in case things change.

I hope to have that time in the next few days or over the weekend.

Thanks!

turlough
Any chance we'll get compendium importing for traps/hazards?

I love your program, its going to give me hours of my life back!

How do I donate?
Maybe.

I am working on an add in to view pictures and import multiple pictures into a project at the moment. I don't know what I will do when that is done.

turlough
I updated my dice roller. It's on the website I linked to above.

KronikAlkoholic: It looks like something changed. I will have to redo that and get back to you. Sorry about that. (It usually hiccups after an update. I need to remember to check it every month.)

Thanks!

turlough
Hi,

just wondered if anyone have moved scales of war into a masterplaner project?

Is it worth doing for published adventures or is it more for your own thing? Just trying to think how I should run it, the old manual way with a big binder, or go digital.. Though I know my player would still prefer seeing the map on the table and them moving their own miniatures around the battle so don't think I will use the combat part of the tool, even though its very nice.. only chance of using the tool is if I could hang a project projecting down on my table and they can still move their guys around.. that could be cool hehe..
Okay, new version of the Compendium importer on my web site. Link above. It worked for me today. Let me know if it does/doesn't work for others.

Martin_cy: I think it's worth it. I know it's can cost a lot but with a second monitor and a wireless mouse, my players still CAN move their own character around, even if it's not a figure! However, I do have two guys who are remote, so I need the technology to be able to run the game.

turlough
Hi. First of all, thank you! I Masterplan to set up the first 2 scenes in second half of an adventures my guys are currently on. I was absolutely THRILLED with the help of the Skill Challenge builder. That for me is the best part. I went to add an encounter next, but didn't have any monsters yet. So, following the instructions, I created a new folder called Monsters in the same folder as masterplan and started the compendium add on. I opened up the compendium add in and logged in with my DDI credentials (I got the error message you said I might get, but I continued on). I then changed the folder to the monsters folder I created and hit get data. It flashed a lot of errors in the screen and eventually gave me 10 htm files which are all the same error.

Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is no row at position 0.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.IndexOutOfRangeException: There is no row at position 0.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[IndexOutOfRangeException: There is no row at position 0.]
System.Data.RBTree`1.GetNodeByIndex(Int32 userIndex) +1551286
System.Data.RBTree`1.get_Item(Int32 index) +19
System.Data.DataRowCollection.get_Item(Int32 index) +11
Compendium.monster.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in e:\DDiApps\trunk\Compendium\Compendium\source\web\monster.aspx.cs:29
System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +14
System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +35
System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +99
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +50
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +627

And the error message I received upon logging in initially is
Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The resource cannot be found.
Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /.aspx

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3082; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3082

I tried this at work first earlier this morning (I work overnights, so it was about 2am edt) and it "sort of" worked. Out of the 10 files that appeared when I loaded it, I got I think 4 htm files out of the 10 with a monster statblock in it. The times that a stat block didn't flash in the window I saw a screen about not being logged in. I had many of the same problems with bringing in Items but the item load into the system after the get data part would hang completely.

So, I came home, took a sleeping pill (need those after crazy shifts) and settled down to take a quick look at it here before falling asleep. My computer had decided to go crazy since the night before and I had to spend an hour fixing it, so now I am fairly groggy from the sleeping pill. My typing may be horrible and I am hoping that everything makes some small bit of sense. Basically - from work (a computer I don't have admin rights to) I was at least able to get about 4 or 5 monsters to import into a folder into the system. No items. They came through the "get data" quickly enough but hung on the importing into the system. From home (a computer I do have admin rights to), I am getting no monsters at all. Just those errors above. Any suggestions? Since I was really stupid and left my project I was working on at work I will have to re-create it tonight from memory since I will be playing tomorrow. It's no huge deal if you can't take a look. I was just crossing my fingers and toes (oh, wait,,,that's a cramp ow ow ow ow)

Thanks!!!

Wasn't sure if I added this somewhere, but I downloaded all the software as of about 1am on July 7, 2009. So I believe I have the newest versions.
Has Devereaux abandoned this thread?

Resident Basement Dwelling Freak of Dice

Hi. First of all, thank you! I Masterplan to set up the first 2 scenes in second half of an adventures my guys are currently on. I was absolutely THRILLED with the help of the Skill Challenge builder. That for me is the best part.

Always nice to hear! Your problem looks to be with Jon's add-in, so I'll let him address it, but if you need a monster library you can always ask on the Facebook group.

Has Devereaux abandoned this thread?

No I'm still here - and I encourage you all to enter the competition! There's a $25 DriveThru gift certificate on offer.
I updated my dice roller. It's on the website I linked to above.

KronikAlkoholic: It looks like something changed. I will have to redo that and get back to you. Sorry about that. (It usually hiccups after an update. I need to remember to check it every month.)

Thanks!

turlough

Yeah no problem, I can always add manually the creatures I need at the moment.
Always nice to hear! Your problem looks to be with Jon's add-in, so I'll let him address it, but if you need a monster library you can always ask on the Facebook group.

I'm sorry, Deveraux. I have no idea why I didn't realize that the two things were separate. Thanks for the response!
I put a new version of my compendium add on at the web site. It should fix the errors I am seeing here.

If not, PM or email me and let me know. I did run this version of the code and it ran just fine.

Thanks!

turlough
Yeah no problem, I can always add manually the creatures I need at the moment.

Again, I found the issue and updated it. Let me know if you still have problems with the new version.

Thanks!

turlough
Version 6.5 will include built-in line of sight tracking during combat. Hopefully that sounds good!
Version 6.5 will include built-in line of sight tracking during combat. Hopefully that sounds good!

You should add a link to the Masterplan website in your signiture so more people can find it and enjoy it.
So does the Campaign Builder still use the .NET framework, or has it been made Wine compatible for us Linux folks? It won't run in wine for me, so I was wondering if it was something on my end.

But I use it on my laptop, which runs Windows, and it's made my DMing life inexpressably easier.

The equivalent of the invention of the automobile easier.
This program is absolutely amazing. Words can not explain how easy it has been to plot my campaign. Thanks for all the hardwork!
gamemonk0,

it is running using 3.5 .NET framework,

you are obviously running linux? so am I (ubuntu 9.04 64bit)

I run winXP in virtualBox and masterplaner works without any problems.. so thats always a workaround..
Devereaux,

your tool kicks butt!

line of sight sounds neat!! another thing that would be cool (that would take it that much closer to maptool in terms of using map for playing would be light sources..

another thing that would be neat to have is fully custom tookens e.g. pictures ala map tool.. instead of the simple circles..

my players just want it more cool looking, so they can relate more to their characters and the monsters that they are seeing.. They are still not over the fact that I'm considering taking their minis away.. but it is just such a pain to keep printing post maps etc... and fog of war etc is just that much more difficult to do with printed maps and minis..

I am still considering maptool for actually running my players through the dungeeon but masterplanner got some many other advantages!! the only thing maptool got going for it is that it does look nice for the players, and setting up light sources is really cool, and if the players do not bring a torch they really wont see anything.. except for the night vision guys.. which is cool..

anwyay looking forward to the development!!

and this thread should probably move into D&D Digital..
Wow! The new LOS feature looks soooooooooo cool!

I like this thing so far.
I just found this thread, and have been playing with MasterPlan all day - it's an incredibly indepth tool, and I have to say I love it already.

I have found one bug, and I'm not sure if you're already aware of it, but the Overview tab in the Player Characters window throws an exception and crashes the entire program if you don't have any player characters in the details tab.
I just found this thread, and have been playing with MasterPlan all day - it's an incredibly indepth tool, and I have to say I love it already.

I have found one bug, and I'm not sure if you're already aware of it, but the Overview tab in the Player Characters window throws an exception and crashes the entire program if you don't have any player characters in the details tab.

I will fix that immediately. I'll upload a new version by the end of the day.
Still finding new fun things about Masterplan - I like the map functionality as well. I have a question, though, one my roommate raised - is there network functionality of any kind? Specifically, is there any way to send the Player View to another computer(s)? Or just another monitor?
Is it possible to export monsters into a spreadsheet format or some such?
Is it possible to export monsters into a spreadsheet format or some such?

Not currently, but in the next version there will be a way to export creatures (and traps and skill challenges etc) to HTML, which you could then import into a spreadsheet or word processor.
Thanks, I love the builder, but currently I have to retype the monsters by hand.
First, let me tell you how it's your fault that I'm currently too tied up with putting my current campaign into the Campaign Builder to read through the entire thread. I mention this because I was wondering about the possibility to add a kind of town designer, which would combine a map with short npc-descriptions...

Part of me is wondering whether you've already considered that, while the rest wants to thank you for such a great tool.
In regards to the compendium downloading feature; my roommate and I are trying it right now, with the most recent .dll downloadable from your site this evening, turlough, and we're getting word-for-word the same results as Lynadianya.

ETA: Never mind, we figured it out. The extension works fine, it's just that the example, pull files 1-10, doesn't work because 1-10 are blank files.
This looks like a great program... I've read through a lot of the comments and it seems all the Dungeon Tile links are dead links. can anyone send me the tiles to work with this program? i know this issue has already been brought up multiple times but any help would rock.. thanks.. and awesome work on this program
This looks like a great program... I've read through a lot of the comments and it seems all the Dungeon Tile links are dead links. can anyone send me the tiles to work with this program? i know this issue has already been brought up multiple times but any help would rock.. thanks.. and awesome work on this program

The dungeon_tiles Yahoo group seems to be the place to go.
The dungeon_tiles Yahoo group seems to be the place to go.

thanks bud...
Can this program facilitate remote gaming in and of itself (ala Fantasy Grounds or MapTool), or is it just a cool way to plan campaigns?
I love power. But it is as an artist that I love it. I love it as a musician loves his violin, to draw out its sounds and chords and harmonies... - Napoleon Bonaparte
Yesterday I used the tool to run an encounter for the first time, and I have to say I'm very pleased. I just have a few questions/ideas that I'd like to share:

For PCs, adding conditions and applying damage is greyed out. Is that normal behavior or am I doing something wrong? Tracking conditions has never been our strong side, so it'd be nice from time to time.

On the same token, could there be a warning displayed when you start the turn of a creature that is stunned, dazed or suffering from another condition that affects the number of actions to take? It got late yesterday and I had already rolled the attack of a creature that I then realized was stunned.

One question regarding maps. I set one up using Dungeon Tiles, only to find that I had no way to tell the program which tiles grant cover (statues and the likes). We sometimes use a different tile system with cardboard-made walls (which are a square wide), so I'm wondering whether there's a way to tell the mapper to consider some tiles blocking. The same would probably apply to squares that provide cover and block line of sight as effect of a power (I notioced the overlay-function, and I loved it.).

Oh, and again thanks for making such a highly versatile tool and sharing it with the rest of us.
Can this program facilitate remote gaming in and of itself (ala Fantasy Grounds or MapTool), or is it just a cool way to plan campaigns?

Not by itself (yet) but an easy way to do this is to use Masterplan's player view screen with some sort of application sharing program (Messenger, Skype etc).
Sign In to post comments