Campaign builder tool

397 posts / 0 new
Last post
Looks like a lovely tool. Havent had time to spend an evening using it yet, but what i have seen so far... I LIKE! How would i go about scanning my dungeon tiles into the map editor? Can you maybe send me the files as well? [email]Rune21hansen@hotmail.com[/email]
Has anyone else had a problem with it erasing all the libraries when you close the program?
Has anyone else had a problem with it erasing all the libraries when you close the program?

As a matter of fact, I did. Except mine happened when I shut down my computer. But after I re-imported the libraries from the zip, it seems to work fine, and I've had no problems with it since.

Very strange.
Just as a heads-up, a new version of Masterplan has gone up today. Mostly it addresses a couple of minor bugs and enhances the combat handler.

As before it can be downloaded from here.

The next version, in response to some feature requests I've received, will have the ability to display a separate view of an encounter for players, which will hide all the DM's info.
Just posting to say I love this tool. Encounter builder and all that is neat I suppose, but really, I'm mainly just using the flowchart, which is FANTASTIC once my campaign starts branching out in all different possible directions. Makes it a lot easier to keep track of several likely PC actions as well. I love this little program to bits.

Now I'm just worried I was too tired to save properly yesternight, 'cause I can't find it where it should be, and saving and loading other projects seem to work fine. *sigh* Guess that's four hours of work I'll have to do all over again 'cause I was too dumb to double-check saves before closing the application. :/

Yeah okay, protip for people, if your project name isn't a legitimate file name (I myself used a colon) the save as function doesn't really do anything. No idea how I managed to miss that the saving didn't actually make anything happen, but there ya go. -_-

Could be neat to add a little warning prompt when a file can't be saved under it's current name for those of us who like to do our writing in the middle of the night hopped up on caffeine and smokes to the point where our attention span equals that of a newt. ;)
Just posting to say I love this tool. Encounter builder and all that is neat I suppose, but really, I'm mainly just using the flowchart, which is FANTASTIC once my campaign starts branching out in all different possible directions. Makes it a lot easier to keep track of several likely PC actions as well. I love this little program to bits.

Always nice to hear from a satisfied customer!

Now I'm just worried I was too tired to save properly yesternight, 'cause I can't find it where it should be, and saving and loading other projects seem to work fine. *sigh* Guess that's four hours of work I'll have to do all over again 'cause I was too dumb to double-check saves before closing the application. :/

Yeah okay, protip for people, if your project name isn't a legitimate file name (I myself used a colon) the save as function doesn't really do anything. No idea how I managed to miss that the saving didn't actually make anything happen, but there ya go. -_-

Could be neat to add a little warning prompt when a file can't be saved under it's current name for those of us who like to do our writing in the middle of the night hopped up on caffeine and smokes to the point where our attention span equals that of a newt. ;)

I just tried saving a file with a colon in the filename. It warned me it wasn't going to work. Just how much caffeine were you on? Do we need an intervention here? ;)
Huh. I'm also having some trouble with updating the monster library (adding in moar MM stuff, mostly, as I only see a few categories in there), as it doesn't seem to save past restarting the application. Maybe I've just got a junk installation or something? I shall have to check.
Very, Very Cool.

I am truly intrigued by the dungeon tile mapper. If anyone finds out a way to access more tiles, let me know. That would take this tool over the top for me.

TLR
So very awesome. Thank you so much a thousand billion times!!! =D A BIG help.
Thanks for the programm is awsome ! can you send me yours tile maps or can you give me ur e-maiil to talk about it?
It's really amazing to hear from people liking this application.

For those asking for tiles, the WOTC dungeon mapper, which is free, contains the tile images for DT1 - DT4. There's also a dungeon_tiles group on Yahoo Groups.
Dev,
Great tool. I am amazed that WotC doesn't get the idea to help the DM like this. The Character Builder is a fine piece of software, but if no one writes an adventure, then no game happens. And being as I work more than full time, I need something like your tool to ease the task.

Masterplan users,
Is anyone creating creature libraries to test? I'd like to see other folks efforts. It is an arduous task at best to fill the tool with data so that I can then actually start building an adventure.
Keep up the good work!
peace,
Darth Frodo

Bring me the One Ring...and no disintegrations!
Thank you for this, I don't think I could have planned my first ever adventure as smoothly as I did without it.
Three things:
1 - I love this tool, it is better than sliced bread both in utility and taste.
2 - It desperately needs more tiles, does anyone know where I could find some?
3 - I was just kidding about three things.
Wow, so many compliments. Cheers folks.

Two things:

Keep letting me know what new features you'd like to see in future versions!
Just downloaded the new version. No bugs in converting older files to new system.

For some reason, it won't let me add NPCs at all. The box comes up, but I can't click any of the options, Add, delete, etc. This is regardless of when I created the campaign. In an experiment I made, it still wouldn't let me add in an NPC.

(Image of error located here.)

Beyond that, this is still my new favorite way to make my D&D campaigns. Best. Program. Ever.
For some reason, it won't let me add NPCs at all.

Oh, before you can create NPCs, you need to have at least one class template in your libraries. I'll add that note to the manual.

Let me know if that fixes it.
hmm... that did it. Thank you.
I've used this tool for about 30 seconds and I love it. It is made of awesome and win. The only thing that I would like to see added is an easy way to manipulate hit die for attacks. But that is a fairly minor thing, and, aside from that, this is an amazing tool. :D
If there's enough interest, I can certainly try to build a version for other platforms.

I am professing interest in a Mac version. This looks rather useful.
The only thing that I would like to see added is an easy way to manipulate hit die for attacks.

So, the ability to define powers properly for creatures and NPCs? I've held off on this because it would mean a lot of additional work when you're entering monster info, but it could be done. And then in combat you'd see all the creature's powers.
I am professing interest in a Mac version. This looks rather useful.

I'd love to do this, but I'd have to invest in a Mac. Although if I did, I'd be able to adapt it as an iPhone app, which might be fun.
Love the program.
I have a few Ideas, when running through the program, I noticed that monsters have no block for their attack value, such a block could prove useful.
Also the ability to color code both monster tokens and objects in the flow chart would be greatly appreceated.
So, the ability to define powers properly for creatures and NPCs? I've held off on this because it would mean a lot of additional work when you're entering monster info, but it could be done. And then in combat you'd see all the creature's powers.

Actually, I just meant a "hit backspace, type in your own die," or "have an up and down arrow button to go 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 2d4, 1d10, 1d12, 2d6... and so on." I didn't want anything that complex; and I actually prefer the ability to type up your own descriptions for monster powers. All I wanted was a way to edit the damage die.
Very useful, I like it a lot. One bug I think I found: whenever I change the autogenerate encounter settings to the hard difficulty (I have a party of 4, level 2) the program crashes.
Actually, I just meant a "hit backspace, type in your own die," or "have an up and down arrow button to go 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 2d4, 1d10, 1d12, 2d6... and so on." I didn't want anything that complex; and I actually prefer the ability to type up your own descriptions for monster powers. All I wanted was a way to edit the damage die.

Ah, got you. Sure thing, I'll give that a go.

Very useful, I like it a lot. One bug I think I found: whenever I change the autogenerate encounter settings to the hard difficulty (I have a party of 4, level 2) the program crashes.

Email me your file, and maybe your libraries too if you've added anything to them, and I'll check it out.
Nice, but I wish it would run on Macs.
Nice, but I wish it would run on Macs.

That would be awesome. It may happen in the future.

This would put it over the top for me. As it stands it's an awesome program, and has easily saved me hours of prep time this week. I've been looking for something like this forever. One doesn't need to be a computer expert to use it either.

I would also like to be able to print a copy of the flow chart and each encounter. I don't have my computer with me when I DM, and I do not own a laptop. Although I may buy one just because of this program. Copy and paste is no big deal, but a way to do it through the program would be awesome.

The only issue I have is with the game elements tab. I can only ever add one. I.E. I can't add an encounter and add a skill challenge or quest to the same plot point. Is it supposed to be like that, or do I have a bad download maybe?

To sum up this is the most usefull tool for DMs I have ever seen. You should put a link on your webpage that lets people donate money to you via a paypal account or something similar. I know I would.
http://www.infernaltitans.com/
Please let me know if I can blog about this software on my blog!
I don't want to link to the software without permission from you...
It's awesome by the way. Although I found a problem with the mapping libraries. I imported my own dungeon tiles, and it resized them to the small size resolution. Can't real scaled tiles be imported an printed out at 1" scale?

Let me know about hiliting this on my blog, I'd really like to do a write up.
I would also like to be able to print a copy of the flow chart and each encounter. I don't have my computer with me when I DM, and I do not own a laptop. Although I may buy one just because of this program. Copy and paste is no big deal, but a way to do it through the program would be awesome.

You can print the flowchart from the File menu, and the encounter map from the encounter builder. Or do you mean all in one go? I could add that.

The only issue I have is with the game elements tab. I can only ever add one. I.E. I can't add an encounter and add a skill challenge or quest to the same plot point. Is it supposed to be like that, or do I have a bad download maybe?

Yeah you can only add one game element to a plot point. If you need to add multiple game elements, you could add them into a subplot for that plot point.
Please let me know if I can blog about this software on my blog!
I don't want to link to the software without permission from you...
It's awesome by the way.

Publicise away my friend. The more people that use it, the better.

Although I found a problem with the mapping libraries. I imported my own dungeon tiles, and it resized them to the small size resolution. Can't real scaled tiles be imported an printed out at 1" scale?

Hmm. Are you saying the import wasn't able to work out the tile dimensions, or that when you printed the map it wasn't at a 1 square : 1 inch scale?

If it's the latter, yeah. I am still trying to work out how to get the dimensions of the printer.
I imported a 4x4 true scaled square piece, and it read it as a small 1x1 piece.
I imported a 4x4 true scaled square piece, and it read it as a small 1x1 piece.

Ah, OK. If you imported a set of tiles with the Add Folder option, it assumes that the smallest dimension it finds is the length of a square (in pixels). So if they're not all at the same resolution, it won't always get the dimensions right.
You can print the flowchart from the File menu, and the encounter map from the encounter builder. Or do you mean all in one go? I could add that.

Yeah you can only add one game element to a plot point. If you need to add multiple game elements, you could add them into a subplot for that plot point.

Doh! I must have missed the print command in the file menu for the flowchart. Not the most computer literate person here.

For the encounters I meant a text document showing the number of each enemy, as well as each enemy's stats. How about for the DCs and skills for a skill challenge. As well as the consequences for success and failure in a skill challenge.

Also; is it possible for someone to set up a place for people to upload libraries to share? That way we all won't have to input the stats for every monster.
http://www.infernaltitans.com/
For the encounters I meant a text document showing the number of each enemy, as well as each enemy's stats. How about for the DCs and skills for a skill challenge. As well as the consequences for success and failure in a skill challenge.

Yeah I have that planned.
It is a really cool program. I like a lot the planner diagram plots, and the tiles map. It´s a very nice program. Congratulations, and thanks you very much by give us from you.
i hope see more versions in the future with illussion. ¡Thanks!
--The English isn´t my native language. Please, be patient--
I would love to see the ability to increase thumbnail size on the tactical combat map tile selector.
Thankyou so so much for coding this. I spent two hours last night downloading the program and entering tiles into the libraries, but god it was worth it. I'll second what previous posters have already said. You have built the most useful tool for DMs ever!

If you need any help with a 3.5 version, not coding, just typing monsters and spell-effects into the program, I'd be glad to help as I'll probably do a significant amount of that on my own anyway.
I spent two hours last night downloading the program and entering tiles into the libraries, but god it was worth it.

You spent two hours on tiles?! How many do you have?
Sign In to post comments