Campaign builder tool

397 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hello lovely people, I'm in the process of writing a campaign builder application, and the time has come to put it online for you all to download and criticise. You can find it here. Hopefully it'll make planning adventures and building encounters a bit easier. It's Windows only I'm afraid.

Looks nice but I am not running Windows... Oh well.
Looks cool. I might give it a shot one day, for prepping dungeon crawls.

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"

"Your advice is the worst"

Looks great, I am about to start two new campaigns with two groups and this will come in very handy.

I noticed in your screenshot you have tiles already in the tool, do you have any tiles that could be shared or even perhaps a resource elsewhere people could obtain tiles from?
Damm cool programma!
But i got a question;) how come i only see a couple monsters and no tiles.
i wondered what i did wrong?
Damm cool programma!
But i got a question;) how come i only see a couple monsters and no tiles.
i wondered what i did wrong?

Glad to see that people like it!

You have done nothing wrong my friend - I didn't want to risk copyright infringment by providing all the dungeon tiles for free. Lawyers get twitchy when you do that kind of thing.

If, however, I were to point out a place where the tile images can be freely downloaded, then you could import them into the program and I wouldn't have broken any laws. Everyone's a winner.

As for the monsters, I only added a small set of them as examples. And really, who doesn't love kobolds?

Andy
First of all, i love kobolds!

Second thank you for the quick reaction. Ill will use it right away.
I think i have to agree with you that everyone is a winner with your programme.

Thanks again!
First of all, i love kobolds!

Second thank you for the quick reaction. Ill will use it right away.
I think i have to agree with you that everyone is a winner with your programme.

Thanks again!

Except those of us that are non windows...
Except those of us that are non windows...

If there's enough interest, I can certainly try to build a version for other platforms.
The killer is the .Net 3.5. If you can build it without using .Net it probably will work with WINE.
Downloaded it, but it wouldn't run. Windows XP, plenty of resources on the machine, says it encountered an error and has to close. I could really use something like this. I'll try on a different computer this weekend.

Yep. Trouble's on my end. Just checked with the boss. Says it's the company firewall or something. He's had similat trouble elsewhere.
Downloaded it, but it wouldn't run. Windows XP, plenty of resources on the machine, says it encountered an error and has to close. I could really use something like this. I'll try on a different computer this weekend.

Yep. Trouble's on my end. Just checked with the boss. Says it's the company firewall or something. He's had similat trouble elsewhere.

May well be the .NET framework; if that's missing it gives an error message when you run it.
I just now did a few tweaks on my end and it's running fine, now. It had downloaded, but something was mistaking it for a virus. Turned it off and it works fine.

YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!! Thank you thank you thank you, can't wait to get home and really play with it! (ooh, that sounded dirtier than I meant it to...:embarrass :D )
I can't download any tiles. I keep getting the 'page not found' screen. I followed your link and all, but can't get any of the tiles.
I can't download any tiles. I keep getting the 'page not found' screen. I followed your link and all, but can't get any of the tiles.

It looks like his site is having problems just now.
For this you do not deserve a cookie, but instead a crown.

Is 4ed only or can you make it support 3ed?

same problem here
It looks like his site is having problems just now.

I'll try back later this weekend, or later next week if that doesn't work. Thanks!
For this you do not deserve a cookie, but instead a crown.

I'm glad people like it!

Is 4ed only or can you make it support 3ed?

It's 4e currently - by which I mean that the encounter builder, skill challenge editor and custom creature builder all use the 4e rules.
Also the program tracks XP gains and tells you at what point the party is likely to level up, and that uses 4e rules too.

The rest of the program is pretty much edition-bllind. You can sketch out plots and put maps together, those kinds of things are not affected by the game edition.
It's times like these i wish i had a PC
It's times like these i wish i had a PC

I feel your pain...
Just a heads-up for those of you who have downloaded this: I'm adding a few new features, including a combat handler which currently looks like this:

IMAGE(http://www.habitualindolence.net/masterplan/combat.jpg)

On that screen the blue counters are heroes, the others are monsters (red for bloodied, gray for dead). The slider at the right changes the current initiative, which highlights those that can act on that score.

Does that make sense? I'm still tinkering and refining it, so feedback would be appreciated!
I still can't get any tiles. Are they big files? Can you send me yours?
I still can't get any tiles. Are they big files? Can you send me yours?

Yeah sure. You might also want to email the site owner and see whether he can sort his site out.
I GOT 'EM! YIPPEEEEEE!!! Thanks a bunch! Yeah, this thing is totally awesome! I'm scratching up some 1 on 1 dungeons for my husband and I when the guys can't make it, or for those in-between game sessions.

Thank you for this program. Your efforts are greatly appreciated!
I am truly astounded at your program, Devereaux!
I have already transfered a lot my notes into your program. I love the flow chart, the summaries that pop up when you mouse-over the plot points, the encounter builder. I will be using your program as my primary planning tool. You are undoubtedly a very talented programmer, and I say, Thanks for the hard work that makes my work easier! I am very grateful for your work and this wonderful program!
-W

p.s.
Is there a way to drag and drop plot points around to any place in the workspace ? I read through the manual, but my eyes are tired so I could easily have missed it.
Is there a way to apply word-wrap to the windows that pop up when you mouse over a plot point?
I've got a couple of questions myself:

I tried to put in monsters from the MM, but couldn't get the damage dice right. I was putting in the Macetail Behemoth and none of the damage die listings offered matched the ones listed in the MM. Is there a way for me to change this?

I may be stuck on stupid, but is there a way to scan in tiles? I have sets that aren't in the libraries but would be great to add in.
nevermind, reading the manual is a good thing... stupid y chromosome telling me that I don't need instructions.
Are you aware that the custom creature designer doesn't quite match the guidelines in the DMG? Defenses seem to advance by 1/2 level, not level.
This is pure genius -- the plot flowchart thing is the best thing that has ever passed into my GMing hands, even thogh I haven't ever lead a 4E campaign. But I'm using Masterplan to chart an upcoming 7th Sea campaign, and damn is it ever useful!
Just downloaded, but too tired to play with... It'll have to wait for during class tomorrow. :D
I am truly astounded at your program, Devereaux!
I have already transfered a lot my notes into your program. I love the flow chart, the summaries that pop up when you mouse-over the plot points, the encounter builder. I will be using your program as my primary planning tool. You are undoubtedly a very talented programmer, and I say, Thanks for the hard work that makes my work easier! I am very grateful for your work and this wonderful program!

Thanks very much!

Is there a way to drag and drop plot points around to any place in the workspace ? I read through the manual, but my eyes are tired so I could easily have missed it.

Not to any place, no. Plot points are arranged in flowchart order.

Is there a way to apply word-wrap to the windows that pop up when you mouse over a plot point?

Not currently, but I'm working on it.

This is pure genius -- the plot flowchart thing is the best thing that has ever passed into my GMing hands, even thogh I haven't ever lead a 4E campaign. But I'm using Masterplan to chart an upcoming 7th Sea campaign, and damn is it ever useful!

Ah, 7th Sea, my first love.
I tried to put in monsters from the MM, but couldn't get the damage dice right. I was putting in the Macetail Behemoth and none of the damage die listings offered matched the ones listed in the MM. Is there a way for me to change this?

It sounds like you're using the custom creature designer. To add creatures from the MM (et al) just use libraries.

I may be stuck on stupid, but is there a way to scan in tiles? I have sets that aren't in the libraries but would be great to add in.

Well you'll need a scanner obviously, but yeah, Masterplan will make tiles out of any image file you want to give it.

Are you aware that the custom creature designer doesn't quite match the guidelines in the DMG? Defenses seem to advance by 1/2 level, not level.

Bug? I will check, ta.
Just played with your program and I have to say... AWESOME!!
Cant get the links to work for the tile downloads though, anyone else having trouble with that? Ideas?
Again Awesome effort, keep it up!!
Seems nice, but the only part of DMing that I don't like is creating encounters- and I'm a 3.5 DM- So this program will be of little use to me until it can support 3.5 encounters :'(. Make a 3.5 version!
Just a quick note to say that I've posted a new version for download. Sadly I wasn't able to keep it compatible with the previous version, but I think the new features justify it - combat handler, map autobuilder and so on.

The download link is here as before.

Hope you like it.
Minor bug, dunno if you know about it yet, but if you go to tactical map and click on the back panel without any maps already there (It reads "[no map selected]") it fails to catch that exception... It may be my computer but I figured that's where you had planned on having it call a "create new map" class or whatever.

I love the functionality of the project in general. I can go as deep or as shallow in the process as I please, and there's plenty of room to expand just through user input. I never feel limited.

I'd like to ask for a monster pack but I know that's prolly not kosher with wotc sooo... Maybe a user created monster pack? I'll look into the combat handler soon, so far I've only made a cursory look through some of the functions more in tune with my personal needs, but expect more criticism soon ;).

You deserve a few of these
Minor bug, dunno if you know about it yet[...]

Cheers. I'll maybe post a minor update with bugfixes in a few days.
Could someone explain to me how to get the other tile sets? Am I missing something, or is that not a functionality?
Could someone explain to me how to get the other tile sets? Am I missing something, or is that not a functionality?

Your options are:

Sadly it looks like the site I found them at no longer has them.
For anyone having trouble locating tiles, DT1 through DT4 are available direct from WOTC at this link:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20061121t

Just click the "Download" link, and unzip the DT1 through DT4 folders.