Grids to d&d 4

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello. Im new to this forum and I cant seem to find a search function so I dont know if this has been aswered but ill try to ask here anyway.

Im the GM in our small d&d grup and we have been playing d&d 4.0 on the "old school way" with no grid and figures. But now we are thinking about playing with figures and a grid. We have a lot if figures so that is not a problem. But how do you make a good grid? Is it possible to find grids online that other people have made? We play the premade adventures H1-H3, there are some grids in the end of the book but what about the other rooms?

Thanks.
Their are three main ways:

A) 1" Grid Paper, draw and toss.

B) Some sort of plastic-like mat which can have dry-erase marker easily applied and erased for reuse.

C) My personal favorate, Dungeon Tiles! Produced tile sets which allow the use of dry-erase on them as well.

They all have their pros and cons.
The three options outlined above are pretty much it. I do recommend the dungeon tiles though, they are good value for what you get and really high quality too. I've used lots of tiles over the years, but the dungeon tiles are one product I can't fault wizards on in any way. We use them for all kinds of other games besides d&d too.

The gridded battlemats are ok, though I've noticed some tend to stain over time, which can be annoying. I've also found them not all that useful outside of improvised situations. If you have a set piece or two at specific locales, it's usually just easier to have the things drawn on 1" graph paper before the session starts, so you don't slow the game down having to draw it all out on the battlemat when the group gets there.
Electronic versions of the same can also work, though ideally you'll want a fairly large monitor (or projector) so that everyone can see it clearly.
Dungeon tiles are great and I use them extensively. Grid paper and playmats are also wonderful. Any one of these options would be ideal if you have the resources. However in a pinch their are cheaper options and nothing fancy is required..

When I was younger (and more broke) we got by fine with a piece of poster board (I haven't bought one in years but it will probably less then a few bucks). Just get a ruler and draw some to-scale grid lines on it. You will need something to mark terrain on your grid but every day items work fine (beads become trees, books act as walls, etc...).
Depending on where you are, office supply stores have large pads of 1" rule paper, by large I mean 30x30 or so.

Battlemats by Chessix are also handy but do not make the mistake and use dry erase markers or leave the wet erase lines on past the end of the session.

A sheet of plexiglass available at any lumber home store can be marked on one side with 1" grids and then use wet erase marker on the other.
Maybe have a look at a map making program like Campaign Cartographer 3 or something similar. I just got it and made this after a few hours of familiarizing myself with the software:
IMAGE(http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/1375857/1024/Picture-Box/BATTLE%7E1.jpg)
This is from my post over HERE.
I'll second JCP's post I also use Campaign Cartographer 3. the maps you can make are great but if you are looking for something say next week you might want to see if someone is willing to make you something using the program that you can then have printed at a one inch grid scale. Heres a sample of one of my encounter battle mats.
IMAGE(http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/9756/goblinambushwu9.png)
By gregwr at 2008-09-01
I almost forgot there were some well done pieces here http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=359
I believe Loydb who did the maps in the link looks at this forum too.