Pokemon Apocalypse

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was playing around for a bit with the monster creator and made myself a bidoof just for fun. Then I realized that it's not too hard to convert the pokemon into 4e monsters, especially with the new combat system.

So my idea is the current pokemon world has discovered what war and violence is. After a devastating struggle that left the world broken and in pieces the pokemon decide to rise up over their masters. The humans take up arms to defend themselves against the hordes and regain control of their world.

I'm just trying to get some feedback and maybe some better ways to develop the settings or even better a more efficient mathematical formula to convert regular pokemon stats into dnd stats, since what I am doing now is pretty much guessing.
I remember in pokemon blue, there was a trainer who was a soldier. He mentioned using his pikachu to electrocute his enemies. Maybe guns and explosives were never developed, so swords and technology that imitates magic attacks are used to battle the evil pokemon.
Please No. Just No. D&D and pokemon shouldn't be mentioned in the same room let alone a sentence together.
I think it would be fun for one (short) session. Ex: "All right, I coup de grace the unconscious pikachu before they have a chance to give it another f****** elixir".

But yeah, as anything other than a humor thing I don't see it happening. Your ideas may vary of course, more power to you.
I think I also remember some trainer holding a sword while he yells about beating your ass. This can be used to encourage the idea of using swords.
And I don't ever recall seeing a gun in the game...
First only do about 30 or so. Just enough to build an area from. Then each time you come to a new area convert 10-20 more. Stat wise would be easy. Make a list of each ability score. Then list the pokemon from which ability you think should be the good one. Then beside that figure out the other two high abilities should be. Then use the method in the DMG4e to get the the rest. You might look through the MM and match up some powers that look like the pokemon powers. Then you can match them up.
Please No. Just No. D&D and pokemon shouldn't be mentioned in the same room let alone a sentence together.

2 words. Shocker Lizard.
I was playing around for a bit with the monster creator and made myself a bidoof just for fun. Then I realized that it's not too hard to convert the pokemon into 4e monsters, especially with the new combat system.

So my idea is the current pokemon world has discovered what war and violence is. After a devastating struggle that left the world broken and in pieces the pokemon decide to rise up over their masters. The humans take up arms to defend themselves against the hordes and regain control of their world.

I'm just trying to get some feedback and maybe some better ways to develop the settings or even better a more efficient mathematical formula to convert regular pokemon stats into dnd stats, since what I am doing now is pretty much guessing.

[sarcasm] Man i hate you. I wanted to think about that[/sarcasm]

no really. I few weeks ago i was thinking about stating pokemon, but focusing more on the monsters themselves than on the "Gotta catch them all" bit. Thought of the name Pokemon: The Wild. Even found a few pictures to fit the whole wild idea. Never got around to starting it, too lazy :P.

I think you should start level wise.

level 1-4 for the easy ones (bulbasaur, charmander, squirtle etc.)
level 5-7 for the medium ones (ivysaur, charmeleon, warturtle etc.)
level 8-10/11 for the harder ones (venusaur, charizard, blastois etc.)
level 12-15 for the legendary ones (Hoho, lugia etc.)

IMO, Mewtwo should be something special (level 30+), for i can see mewtwo totally kicking the ass of Orcus and co.
(or maybe level 1-10 easy, 11-20 medium, 21-30 harder, 30+ legendary)

then look at the attacks. (no tips there actually, just make them as you see fit)
after that just make the monster (lurker etc), fill in the math.

Good luck,
maybe after you started a bit i might add a few pokemon myself.
there are guns in th... it was a trivia site, linked by TV tropes...
one episode was banned because of a crazy gun guy.
(I only looked up the banned episodes, those not released in America, just for laughs)
Then convert Beast Master into Pokemon Trainer and you're done...

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/23.jpg)

Here are some good pictures of some pokemon which could resemble some nice "wild" pokemon:

IMAGE(http://fc55.deviantart.com/fs17/f/2007/132/2/6/Pokemon_2007_by_o_kemono.jpg)
Pokemon 2007 by kemono from DeviantArt.

IMAGE(http://fc06.deviantart.com/fs24/i/2007/361/b/e/evil_leafeon_by_PearlEden.jpg)
the fictional Leafon by PearlEden (also from DeviantArt)

IMAGE(http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs21/i/2007/237/6/2/suicune_by_kankakanka.jpg)
Suicune from Kankakanka (there are some more from her in here art gallery and over the internet.)
Then convert Beast Master into Pokemon Trainer and you're done...

DAY 36: Half starved, the band known as Kechum's Butchers, under the leadership of Ash Village-Burner decide that they have no intention of dying of hunger.

Misty hoisted the Halbard and walked out of the bushes toward the feasting band of warriors.
"No one! I mean NO ONE cooks and eats my Water Pokemon!"
The Citadel Megadungeon: http://yellowdingosappendix.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/the-citadel-mega-dungeon-now-with-room.html
I remember in pokemon blue, there was a trainer who was a soldier. He mentioned using his pikachu to electrocute his enemies. Maybe guns and explosives were never developed, so swords and technology that imitates magic attacks are used to battle the evil pokemon.

Depending on which version of Pokemon you are refering too... Classic Pokemon from Japan or the ahem created 'Poke-Girl' universe where you had some guy through Magic, Technology, and some dimensional hopping for that Ubertech created the Poke-girl servant by ahem combining Human DNA and Animal DNA, basically super Gene-Splicing with a touch of Magic... just research Poke-Girl in a search engine and you should find the main site with all the back history of that universe.

Back on Topic, in both universes firearms and explosives were developed just gradually declined in use to either A. everyone has a Pokemon or B. since the Sukebe War most pre-tech is lost or controlled by the world council... I mean there was a Pokemon episode where this old guy mistook the group for Poke-wranglers and held a revolver to Ashes head... it was banned from airing cause of that one little scene...

Okay I think that I rambled a bit...
I didn't know Pokemon had a back story, I thought everything just existed. It actually sounds kinda interesting.
This campaign would be way cooler if it was the other kind of pokemon apocalypse.

DM: "Alright that's 250 XP for slaughtering Pikachu....."
DM: "... but now you have another problem."

IMAGE(http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2006/11/zombiepikachu.jpg)

Sorry, couldn't help myself:P
Zombie Pikachu... yeah, wheres that 12 gauge again cause if you unleash zombie pokemon I doubt that normal pokemon attacks would stop them... maybe earth type if you crush them
Someone kill this thread, good lord.
Zombie Pikachu... yeah, wheres that 12 gauge again cause if you unleash zombie pokemon I doubt that normal pokemon attacks would stop them... maybe earth type if you crush them

Ceramic/plastic twelve gauge... bloody electric zeds.
I statted up Mewtwo as a 3rd Edition 30th-level psion once, complete with Epic Manifestation. Good times.

Mewtwo
30th-Level Pokémon Kineticist
Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Genetic)
Languages: Can read, write, and speak all languages (not including magical script)
Hit Dice: 30d4+360 plus 20 (455 hp)
Initiative: +13 (+12 Dex, +1 insight)
Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares)
Armor Class: 74 (+20 armor, +12 Dex, +10 Wis, +10 natural, +10 deflection, +2 perfection), touch 44, flat-footed 62
Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+35
Attack: Unarmed strike +27 melee (3d6+12)
Full Attack: Unarmed strike +27/+22 melee (3d6+12)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks:
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 2/—, power resistance 42, telepathy 100 ft., evasion
Saves: Fort +23, Ref +23, Will +26
Abilities: Str 35, Dex 35, Con 35, Int 45, Wis 28, Cha 38
Skills: Autohypnosis +46, Balance +32, Climb +32, Concentration +45, Disable Device, +50, Intimidate +47, Jump +44, Knowledge (psionics) +54, Knowledge (all) +30, Psicraft +54, Speak Language (Abyssal), Speak Language (Celestial), Speak Language (Draconic), Speak Language (Infernal), Speak Language (Sylvan), Use Magic Device +15, Use Psionic Device +30
Feats: Ghost Attack, Greater Psionic Fist, Improved Natural Attack (unarmed strike), Improved Unarmed Strike, Mind Over Body, Overchannel, Psionic Body, Psionic Fist, Psionic Meditation, Quicken Power, Speed of Thought, Superior Unarmed Strike, Talented, Unavoidable Strike, Wounding Attack
Epic Feats: Epic Manifestation, Epic Psionic Focus (2), Polyglot
Psionic Powers Known (745; base DC = 27 + power level): 1st—control object, defensive precognition, offensive precognition, offensive prescience, force screen; 2nd—control air, ego whip, energy missile, sustenance; 3rd—body adjustment, body purification, energy cone, time hop; 4th—control body, inertial barrier, empathic feedback, energy ball; 5th—energy current, fiery discorporation, incarnate, power resistance, psionic plane shift; 6th—breath of the black dragon, dispelling buffer, null psionics field, psionic overland flight, retrieve, suspend life, temporal acceleration; 7th—decerebrate, divert teleport, energy conversion, energy wave, evade burst, insanity, personal mindblank, psionic moment of prescience, psionic phase door, psionic sequester, reddopsi, ultrablast; 8th—matter manipulation, psionic greater teleport, psionic iron body, psionic mind blank, psionic telekinetic sphere, recall death, shadow body, true metabolism; 9th—affinity field, apopsi, assimilate, microcosm, psionic etherealness, reaility revision, timeless body, tornado blast
Epic Powers/Day: 3
Challenge Rating:
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Neutral
Possessions: Epic cloak of charisma (+12), epic headband of intellect (+12), epic gloves of dexterity (+12), epic amulet of natural armor (+10), epic ring of protection (+10), epic ring of psionics ix, bracers of relentless might, boots of swiftness, monk's belt
Notes: While psionically focused, Mewtwo gains a +10 insight bonus to speed and can strike incorporeal creatures normally. Every day it makes an Autohypnosis check to gain +18 temporary hitpoints and damage reduction 2/— (the damage reduction lasts for 12 hours). Every day Mewtwo utilizes Epic Psionic Armor to grant itself a +20 armor bonus to its defense; otherwise it uses its epic powers in conjuction with quickened powers (+6 cost). When running low on power points, Mewtwo will resort to using its unarmed strike, expending its psionic focus to make a Greater Wounding Unavoidable Psionic Strike (+4d6 and 1 Con). Mewtwo can refocus itself as a move action instead of as a full-round action, allowing it to attack foes at all times. Its manifester level is considered 33 when manifesting powers of 3rd level or lower.

URNOTE

Oh come on... Sir Aaron sacrificed himself to end a war. Don't make that go to waste.
(As in, kill Aaron and destroy the kingdom. Adventure in the wake of its destruction. )

I tried in 3.5, but kept running out of steam before I got around to statting any Pokemon. 4e's monster design process makes me feel freer to not use a concrete formula to convert the Pokemon.

I'm going wait until Pokemon Platinum comes out to buy a Pokedex and then try to start statting them. I'll be going for a more Pokemon feel than D&D feel, so I'll be using the attack types from the handheld games as keywords.

My idea for Pokemon and levels is...
Basic Pokemon - Heroic Tier
Stage 1 Evolution - Paragon Tier
Stage 2 Evolution - Epic Tier

Legendary Pokemon would be Elite and Solo creatures.
Some Pokemon in the upper tiers of competitive battling might also get Elite/Solo treatment as would some Pokemon belonging to notable NPC Trainers.
Unsure what to do for Baby Pokemon.
A Magikarp which evolves into Gyarados when bloodied. Sprinkle with Magikarp minions.

I'm sure I'll get some strange looks, but I'd also like to create Pokemon as classes so that they may be used as PCs. (That won't be quite as much work as it sounds like because evolution lines will create base classes, paragon paths, and epic destinies. Still a lot of work, but not the same as creating 500 separate base classes.)

As far as settings... Lance is awesome.
Lance is primarily a villain in Pokémon Special. As the leader of the Elite Four, he wishes to exterminate the human race, save for a few people who he deems to be kind enough to Pokémon.

zombiepikachu.jpg

Zombie Pokemon are canon. :evillaugh
IMAGE(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/jagggar/PKMN/ZombiePsyduck.jpg)
Someone kill this thread, good lord.

I'm of two minds on this one. Half of me agrees with Mr. Suthorn, whereas another half of me is kinda curious about this concept (played since R&B).

It's a mixed bag. A MIXED BAG, I SAY! Who had the audacity to mix this bag?! What if I had wanted my bag unmixed? DID YOU THINK OF THAT?! HUH?! [/crazyrant]
ƸȌƷ
the fictional Leafon by PearlEden (also from DeviantArt)

Maybe I'm missing something here, but Leafeon isn't fictional. It's a 4th generation Pokemon that's obtained by leveling Eevee in Eterna Forest.

That said, now I want to make a campaign setting where the PCs ARE Pokemon...
metalreaper.deviantart.com

'Nuff said.
Maybe I'm missing something here, but Leafeon isn't fictional. It's a 4th generation Pokemon that's obtained by leveling Eevee in Eterna Forest.

to be honest i had no idea there was an actual leafeon. i just thought somebody made that one up to fill the leaf part of the world. haven't been following pokemon since generation II, i thought it lost it's magic after that. still love generation I and II though.

metalreaper.deviantart.com

interesting. some are really nicely made (others are a bit to realistic for my taste:D).

when is anyone going to stat some pokemon. i was thinking of stating bulbasaur to start with:D.
Bulbasaur

+2 Int, +2 Wis

Size: Small
Speed: 6 squares.
Vision: Normal

Languages: Bulbasaur, Pokecommon

Skill Bonuses: +2 Nature, +2 Arcana

Weaknesses: You have vulnerable 5 to psychic, fire, and cold damage.
Resistance: You have resist 5 to thunder, lightning, and poison damage.

Chlorophyll Quickening: You receive a +1 bonus to attack rolls during daylight hours (even if you are not exposed to sunlight at the moment).

Leech Seed: You can use Leech Seed as an encounter power.

Leech Seed Bulbasaur Racial Power
Minor Action Ranged 5
Target: One creature
Attack: Intelligence vs Reflex
Hit: Target takes ongoing 5 damage (save ends). As long as the target is taking the ongoing damage from this power, you have regeneration 5.
Special: The target has a +2 bonus to save against the effect of this power.

...Eh, I dunno.
Just remove the name pokemon, just call them monsters.
Pocket balls change to domination crystals. Each capable of permanently dominating any member of a certain creature type.
Which I suppose is ironic, since the name "Pokémon" is derived from "Pocket Monsters."

Just updated my previous post with Mewtwo's stats; twas my first psionic character so be gentle. :embarrass

URNOTE

lets not forget warp marbles....they were poke balls in D&D

Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: What Would Wrecan Say?

I think a 4E mewtwo should be a 33 level controller. Someone who could kick the *ss*s of every demonlord in the abyss and walk away. just my thought.

my thought of a bulbasaur: a 4th level lurker. anybody else an idea?

Languages: Bulbasaur, Pokecommon

hahaha, funny :D:D
Resistance: You have resist 5 to thunder, lightning, and poison damage.

Isn't the Thunder keyword sound based attacks?

Would equating Fighting-type to the Martial keyword and giving it Resist 5 Martial be too much?
Sign In to post comments