SIX campaign previews for your approval and love for Nifflas...

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread will preview 6 campaigns that I am working on. After reading Nifflas, which is amazing and I love it, I decided to throw out these campaign ideas to you first. You guys (and gals) have seen every possible campaign imaginable, so I know that if one of my ideas impresses you, then it will be worth working on. Please reply and vote on your favorite campaign, and please include any comments. Also, please let me know which ideas suck, and should be sent "off stage" forever. Feel free to use these ideas, just as long as you don't claim them as your own and make money on them...

1) LAST AGE: the Passing
IMAGE(http://biblesearchers.com/prophecy/zechariah/zech6_files/image004.jpg)
This is the last age of Mankind. The world looks like a series of apocalyptic landscapes. What caused the end is unknown (to me). The gods have either left or been destroyed. Clerics draw their miracles from the divine energy left behind. Wizards still cast their spells from the magic that is all around them, but it was been twisted and corrupted. Many of the Races and monsters have been magically mutated. Demons, and Angels, walk the Lands. Adventurers search the Lands for many things, like hidden treasures, magical items, and lost knowledge. Mainly, they are looking for a way to survive. It seems very depressing, but there is hope that the Last Age many lead to a new, golden age.

2) TAPESTRY: the Unweaving
IMAGE(http://www.greatmodernpictures.com/tapestry03lg.jpg)
The world, and all of creation, is part on an infinite Tapestry. It was woven together by the Great Weaver. The Threads are infinite and are bond together to form all of creation. The Light from the stars (and the Sun) comes from above the Tapestry, the Darkness comes from below, and the mists come from the In-between. Creatures can journey to different worlds through tears in the Tapestry, but it is slowly unweaving...

3) GODHOOD: the Beginning
IMAGE(http://jermination.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/greek_gods400.jpg)
This is the beginning. The Maker comes from the Unknown and creates the World, the Sun, the Moon, the Stars, the Races, and finally the Gods. Then He leaves the care of the World to the Gods. These newly divine beings must content with the prayers of worshippers, other gods who might want to kill them (they can die) or control them, and the Godslayers who want to kill all of the Gods (and everything else). The Rules would be greatly altered, but the spirit of the d20 rules would be intact.

4) MOSIAC: the Creation
IMAGE(http://images.epilogue.net/users/leoarts/laputa.jpg)
All of Creation was created by the Great Artist. The Mosaic is infinitely long and wide. Strange creatures come from Outside the Frame. There are flaws in the Mosaic, and great evil comes from those regions. The World is full of impossible landscapes, like floating islands and seas of mist. The Laws of Reality do not apply.

5) SORTILEGE: the Knowledge
IMAGE(http://people.lulu.com/storage/users/519/203519/images/28354/fantasy1.jpg)
The players are teachers at the School of Sortilege. When they are not teaching courses to unruly students, they are searching for the knowledge that was lost in the previous age. However, there are powerful forces that do not want Mankind to reclaim the that knowledge, and they will do anything to stop them.

6) RADAGON: the Reckoning
IMAGE(http://membres.lycos.fr/skanlon/pictures/Jeff_EASLEY/EASLEYDragonsofFaith.jpg)
It is a world that was born in war. It is in a constant state of war. Warlords riding fiery dragons led their armies against each other in an endless battle for the ultimate prize. Necromancers led undead armies against Paladins of Light. Barbarians seek to bring down ancient empires. Gods become mortal to lead their worshippers in battle against other gods. There are forces at work that seek peace at any price, but how could a world born in war survive it?
Your first one, Last Age, is not unlike something I am running now, one of my campaigns. It is set in a far future Faerun, one that has seen most of the planet turned to desert and the vast majority of plants, animals, and sentient races perish. Much of the world is barren mountain, sand seas, and crumbling stone ruins, though a few human cities cling to life against a hostile world. Various undead nations compete for what is left and humanity hopes for the best deal with them in the end though is fighting them in the interim. Goblins and orcs still exist and while almost wiped out are rebuilding numbers though gnolls may beat them to dominance.

Most animals perished but a few cling to life, including various species of hawk, vulture, snake, lizard, spider, scorpion, jackal, antelope, camel, and their monstrous relatives. Some dragons still exist.

Elves are believed to be extinct as are gnomes but some halflings and dwarves still exist, all very isolationist.

A number of races from the planes of Earth, Dust, and Ash have invaded, seeing all the real estate that is now open to them, free of such pesky stuff as water and life. Some revel in the new real estate but otherwise don't bother mortals and animals, some want to finish the process and scour the rest of the world of everything not related to their element, and some out of curiousity or being good-aligned have joined humanity and are trying to fit in.

Most of the gods are dead, killed off when the natural world and the mortal races almost vanished. Some sects of humans and non-humans persue leads on ways to reverse what has happened, find ways to revive the gods, or create new ones. Perhaps their quest is a foolish one, but they have hope.

Similarly another group is dedicated to preserving pre-end times knowledge, art, literature, technology and seeking out forgotten treasures.

Both of these groups provide plenty of adventure hooks for PCs.

Other adventure hooks revolve around scouting out new trade routes across the sand seas and mountain passes away from undead and humanoid nations, going out to make treaties or negotiate with more reasonable undead and humanoid nations, and just plain protecting the last cities from monstrous sand storms or raids.
My inspiration for Last Age was the Book of Revelation, see image of the Four Horsemen, and the Terminator series. I imaged that Warforged will still be around, since they survived the End. All of the Races would still be around, but the Apocalypse has changed them all in some way.
My inspiration for Last Age was the Book of Revelation, see image of the Four Horsemen, and the Terminator series. I imaged that Warforged will still be around, since they survived the End. All of the Races would still be around, but the Apocalypse has changed them all in some way.

Ok, cool. Well, that is what I have, what I posted. You might want to watch Supernatural, which has the end times approaching, right now angels and demons fighting behind the scenes, not sure how much longer it will stay behind the scenes.

Except for the Terminator reference - which fits in quite well with my campaign world that I described - you describe something that is more medieval feeling, more religious than what I had. Sounds intersting but angels, demons, and the like didn't fit in well with what I did. I was thinking mine in terms of post-apocalypse, the apocalype being close to nuclear, your is more post-apocalypse, the apocalypse being the end days, without perhaps the natural and human disasters in my setting.
I like Supernatural. They write the angels in a similar way to the Prophecy movie that starred Christopher Walken as the angel Gabriel. It was one of the greatest performances of his career. His hatred of humans was so intense you could feel it. I especially enjoyed it when he kept calling people "talking monkies". When I put angels into the campaign, I will portray them in a very similar way.

IMAGE(http://movies.infinitecoolness.com/15/prophecy12.jpg)
I like Supernatural. They write the angels in a similar way to the Prophecy movie that starred Christopher Walken as the angel Gabriel. It was one of the greatest performances of his career. His hatred of humans was so intense you could feel it. I especially enjoyed it when he kept calling people "talking monkies". When I put angels into the campaign, I will portray them in a very similar way.

IMAGE(http://movies.infinitecoolness.com/15/prophecy12.jpg)

Never seen the movie, sounds right up my ally. Old Testament angels and God for that matter didn't sound exactly warm and cuddly.
Makes me wonder how paladins should REALLLY be.

Been watching the whole series of Supernatural? Why doesn't D&D have demons quite like that, demons who possess people?
Never seen the movie, sounds right up my ally. Old Testament angels and God for that matter didn't sound exactly warm and cuddly.
Makes me wonder how paladins should REALLLY be.

Been watching the whole series of Supernatural? Why doesn't D&D have demons quite like that, demons who possess people?

Paladins would kick a$$, and they would kill evil doers without mercy. Essentially, they would be seriel killers who just happen to kill for God. How long as they are killing evil beings, it is okay. Oh, they may bow their heads in prayer, but they are NOT priests. They are trained to kill, and that is what they do best. I can see them killing a bunch of demon possessed people.

I would rent the Prophecy as soon as possible. Don't bother with the Prophecy 2 and 3, they really suck. The first Prophecy movie presented Angels the way they should be. Remember, God sent angels in the OT to destroy entire cities. They were never intented to be warm or fuzzy.

The basic plot of the movie was the search for the Dark Soul that would help win the War in Heaven. There are some good special effects of dead angels.
There is one scene in particular that is my favorite. Gabriel "Christoper Walken" meets a cop in a church and says something creepy, then he starts to walk away. The cop, thinking it is just a man, yells at Gabriel to "Look at me!" Gabriel turns to thc cop and says, "You want me to look at you?"
Remember, this is Walken at his scary best saying this.

Gabriel then tells the cop about how he got a scar on his chin. "A long time ago before you were I told you a secret and then I said SHHHHHHHHH!" (He put his finger to his lips). Oh my God that was scary! Just the way he said it, and what it implied that. Gabriel had talked to this guy BEFORE he was born, when I he was a soul in Heaven. That shut this cop up! He realized who this person really was, a being who could kill him with just a word.

I wish Walken could have been nominated for the best actor for this movie, but this was catagorized as a "scary/horror movie" so his performance wasn't taken seriously. It really isn't a horror movie, and Walken is very funny too. He can put people to sleep with just a gesture, and he uses that ability several times. There are a few other angels in it to. One really nice one, and another angel even more frightening than Gabriel. Oh, and Gabriel does bring his horn.

IMAGE(http://www.obscurehorror.com/prophecy.jpg)
Oh yes, Walken was absolutely breathtaking in the movie. Another scene I remember clear as day is in the end when Gabriel says, " God doesn't talk to me anymore" and Walken manages to convey so much sorrow and loss and envy in that one sentence it allows one to actually feel pity for this being...

As for the campaign settings, I would definitely vote for the first. I really enjoy reading about apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic settings.
I'll be brutally honest.

They've all been done. To death.

And none of them really excite me much as basic descriptions, we need a twist, something to make your version of one of these stand out.

That said 1 and 4 are the best, 3 is the worst, 2 seems like a WoT rip, 5 = Harry Potter = , and 6 falling somewhere between mediocre and terrible.

I don't mean to sound like an asshat, We need more to really go on, but as short descriptions those are my thoughts. I'd advise fleshing out 1 and 4(a full page each should do) and bringing those forward to decide between.
nowiwantmydmg, I love brutal honesty. I want to write something that would excite the person who has seen everything done to death. If that happens, then it would excite me too and I would be inspired to create something unique. Keep it coming.

Jastra of the clawed hand, I forgot about that one from the Prophecy. Another favorite line of mine was a certain someone saying, "Gabriel's Heaven would just be another Hell..." I also liked the scene where he let those school kids blow his horn, so he could look inside their mouths. It does sound really, really bad, but it wasn't. He didn't harm the children. He was looking into their mouths for the Dark Soul. You gotta see the movie to understand that.

Gabriel carried around the horn he would blow to signal Armageddon or the Rapture; he never blowed it in the movie. One of the kids blew it, and the sound of it shattered some nearby windows.
I'll be brutally honest.

They've all been done. To death.

And none of them really excite me much as basic descriptions, we need a twist, something to make your version of one of these stand out.

That said 1 and 4 are the best, 3 is the worst, 2 seems like a WoT rip, 5 = Harry Potter = , and 6 falling somewhere between mediocre and terrible.

I don't mean to sound like an asshat, We need more to really go on, but as short descriptions those are my thoughts. I'd advise flushing out 1 and 4(a full page each should do) and bringing those forward to decide between.

I would tend to agree I am afraid. The end times can be fun but it not original. I myself wouldn't do it. I did and do run a post-apocalypse setting in a ruined Toril, but I do have twists that to me make the setting stand out:

1. Undead nation, including a new type of undead. The undead nations do not like one another.
2. The last few human cities have foreign relations with some of the undead nations.
3. New PC races, definitely non-human, that I created for the setting. Including undead.
4. As the world is mostly desert, many creatures from the elemental planes relating to earth, ash, dust, and sand are moving in. Some are continuing the desertification of the world and are anti-human/anti-nonelemental life, others are neutral, and others are adopting to human civilization.
5. Human and friendly-to-human races make up various organizations that have ties in more than one city, each organization dedicated to a different goal. Each organization provides plenty of adventure hooks.
6. The gods are pretty much dead.

To me the campaign is as much end of times as it is desert planet as far as setting goes.

For your campaign, if you don't like the desert, undead nation, sand creature sort of thing, you might try, to flesh your setting idea number 1 out:

1. Paladin variants. Why make paladins only fighters? Why not paladin wizards, or paladin clerics, or paladin rangers? In my setting, the world was so harsh one character class was basically a paladin ranger, a ranger with considerable powers against undead and healing abilities.
2. Using the aasimar, the half-celestial, and the tielfing, the half-fiend, races liberally. They should at least be promient choices for the PCs.
3. Develop a major celestial being and a major infernal, diabolic, abyssal being as nemesises for the campaign, both can be foils to the PCs but for different reason. Also have allies from both sides as well.
4. Develop infernal politics. If the campaign has devils, at least as I knew them through the previous editions (I don't play 4E currently and am still laregely unfamiliar with it), the devils had lots of politics. That should play a role, PCs should know what devil is on the outs, who is rising, extra (if not at first, later on). Maybe the priests keep track of this, or an organization of sages. Also 2E had the Blood War between devils and demons. Does this continue?
5. Ditto with the celestials.
6. The book _Perdido Street Station_ had as a minor character basically an ambassador from the devils, a devilish ambassador. Might be something to look at.
7. Develop a template for creatures. Not just half-celestial or celestial (and the counterpart), but some sort of end of times template. Assuming 4E still uses templates.
8. Maybe develop new races, perhaps a race of fallen angels, made mortal again, or a race of devils who are outcast and while maybe evil are not as evil as other devils/demons.
9. Is this just a human thing? What do the dwarves, the elves, the gnomes, halfings, orcs, goblins, dragons, and fey think of end times? Is it end times for them? Each of them have their own deities, their own mythologies. What does Moradin Soulforge or Bahamut or Tiamat or the Seelie Court have to do with this?
10. What about abberations like beholders, mind flayers, and aboleth?
11. The kuo-toa, does Cthulhu rise again?
12. Sea creatures like sahuagin, do the oceans scour the land?
13. Are there non-European cultures in this setting? If so, are they Chinese, Indian, Aztec? They all have end times prophecies and demons. Imagine a setting where Indian rakshashas or the Aztec god Quotzalcoatlus returns.
14. Might look at the Viking legends of Ragnarok. They had a fascinating and highly suited to D&D suite of legends relating to end times, with a war between the gods, brother gods against brother gods, gods versus giants, huge monsters such as dragons, a sea serpent, and an ungodly wolf fighting the gods, the gods knowing that most all of them would perish, slain good warrirors rising again along with valkyries to fight evil giants and evil warriors raised from the underworld.