The Tinker class + paragon paths & epic destiny (PEACH)

115 posts / 0 new
Last post
I wanted to recreate the tinker from the 3e Warcraft setting, only without the bothersome crafting rules to make it fit better into 4e's simplified system. Let me know what you think of it, and please PM me if you are interested in play-testing it, I'd love to hear some feedback.:D

*Note that since the forum coding alterations, this entire post has many scattered code errors that I'm too lazy to go back and fix to be honest (especially since it's been a couple years). The pdf has a couple minor errors, but everything was up to date and it contains virtually everything from this thread.*

EDIT: The original file link was removed, I was told just the other day, so here's a new (hopefully more stable) link;

www.datafilehost.com/download-5fcda0db.h...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tinker
"Of course it's safe, why would it not be?"
Class Traits
• Role: Controller. With powerful explosives and devices, you can control the flow of battle, often in unexpected ways. Some Tinkers live by their firearms, these types of Tinkers tend to slip into the Striker role.
• Power Source: Technology. Your weapons and devices make you a deadly and unpredictable foe. Your mastery of engineering allows you to improvise in nearly any situation.
• Key Abilities: Intelligence, Dexterity, Wisdom
• Armor Proficiencies: Cloth, Leather
• Weapon Proficiencies: Simple Melee, Simple Ranged, Firearms*
• Bonus to Defense: +2 Reflex
• Hit Points at 1st Level: 12 + Constitution Score
• Hit Points per Level Gained: 5
• Healing Surges per Day: 6 + Constitution Modifier
• Trained Skills: Engineering*. From the class skills listed below, choose three more trained skills at 1st level. Class Skills: Athletics (Str), Bluff (Cha), Endurance (Con), Engineering* (Int), Heal (Wis), Perception (Wis), Stealth (Dex), Thievery (Dex) ------------------------------------------------------------------------

The tinker builds and invents new devices, everything from multi-purpose knives to explosive projectiles. Their devices are often cobbled together out of whatever parts they have handy, but made remarkably effective by their intimate knowledge of machinery. Despite a reputation for being dangerous companions, gained mostly due to the more reckless of their kind, Tinkers are not usually danger-prone. The real trouble arises when Tinkers experiment with already dangerous explosives and gunpowder, and even then mishaps and explosions do not occur as often as many believe. As a Tinker, you often are considered dangerous, as often a Tinker's reputation catches up with him. You might be a designer of crazy devices that serve seemingly no purpose, until you need them. Or perhaps you may be a master of deadly explosives, throwing caution to the wind. Perhaps you are a master marksman, earning a reputation with your thunderous rifle. Perhaps you do it for fame, perhaps gold, perhaps glory or maybe, you just want to go out with a bang. Armed with nothing but your trusty tools and your bag of parts, you boldly step forward, ready to leave your mark upon the world for better or for worse.
Tinker Builds
Gunslinger
Gunslinger Unlike other Tinkers that develop toys, you have devoted your life to the study and operation of firearms. You are better at killing single targets then other builds, but lack much of the survivability/adaptability other Tinkers enjoy. You disdain melee combat, avoiding it whenever possible. Most of your attack powers favor Dexterity, so it should be your highest ability score. Intelligence is solid secondary score, it allows you to dabble in grenades and pick up a couple close range powers. Wisdom makes a good third stat, adding bonuses to many of your shots. -Suggested Feat: Quick Draw (Human feat: Human Perseverance) -Suggested Skills: Engineering; Athletics, Perception, Stealth (Thievery) -Suggested At-Will Powers: Pulse Charge, Steady Aim (Spark Shower) -Suggested Encounter Power: Bola Shot -Suggested Daily Power: Rapid Fire
Crazed Inventor
Crazed Inventor You have devices powering devices that operate devices. Most of which you've forgotten about, or changed entirely. You are prepared to handle nearly anything. Intelligence should be your primary score, as nearly all of your abilities will be using it. Wisdom makes a good second choice as many of your powers gain some small benefit from it. Dexterity should be a close third, as it will allow you to make use of grenade-attacks. -Suggested Feat: Improved Initiative (Human feat: Toughness) -Suggested Skills: Engineering; Athletics, Perception, Thievery (Stealth) -Suggested At-Will Powers: Cutting Torch, Spark Shower (Zap) -Suggested Encounter Power: Lightning Shield -Suggested Daily Power: Cutting Saws
Sapper
Sapper You like explosives, perhaps to an unhealthy level. You are all about area damage, obliterating several foes in a single blast. You would rather not get into close combat, but you are better off then the gunslinger in melee. Intelligence should be your primary ability score as most of your abilities key off of it. Dexterity is a close second, as many of your ranged grenade weapons rely on it. Wisdom is a close third as some of your abilities receive bonuses from it. -Suggested Feat: Improved Initiative (Human feat: Adrenaline Junkie) -Suggested Skills: Engineering; Athletics, Perception, Thievery (Heal) -Suggested At-Will Powers: Pulse Charge, Spark Shower (Zap) -Suggested Encounter Power: Concussive Blast -Suggested Daily Power: Shrapnel Grenade
IMAGE(http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t270/Hydrolizer/Tinker.jpg)
Tinker Class Features
Tools & Salvage
Tinkers always have spare parts and tools lying around. All tinkers begin play with a tool kit and a backpack. A tinker carries random parts with them (stripping them off of things as they adventure). This can be role-played, but the parts that a tinker carries with them can get quite heavy as they pack-rat things into their bags. Parts for a tinker weigh a number of pounds equal to 5 + the Tinker's level. This is a static weight, assumed to be replenished as often as it is emptied. The tinker may not use Powers with the Parts descriptor without them. The tinker may also not use powers with the Tool descriptor without a set of tools.

If a tinker loses their bag of parts (or box or whatever they are carried in), it takes time to replace them. Typically it takes a short rest in a town (much to the dismay of the locals), though actual time may vary based on the situation and environment.

Engineering Focus
All Tinkers have their niche. Whether it be a mastery of explosives, firearms or even in bizarre gadgety. Choose one of the following:
• Explosives Focus: You gain a +1 bonus to your Reflex Defense, and gain Fire Resistance equal to one half your level.
• Firearms Focus: You gain a +1 attack bonus with all Firearms*, as well as the Weapon Focus: Firearms feat.
• Gadgetry Focus: You may use your Tools as though they were a club (adding their enhancement bonus to attack and damage rolls), as well as 2 additional uses of Improvised Gadget each day.

The choice you make also provides bonuses to certain Tinker powers. Individual powers detail the effects (if any) your focus has upon them.

Firearms Crafter
Tinkers easily apply what they have learned from their art to the crafting of basic firearms. This allows all Tinkers to craft firearms for 1/5 market price, though weapons created this way can only be used by the Tinker that made them. In addition, at 1st level, a Tinker may begin play with a firearm for 1/10 market price. Note this price reduction is not applied to enhanced firearms. The Tinker also has the ability to craft ammunition for 1/2 market value. The Tinker requires thier tool kit and parts to be able to craft firearms or ammunition.

All Tinkers have the following class feature:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[u]Engineering Skill[/u]

The engineering skill is intended to be used as Arcana is for magic effects and items. It can identify creatures of mechanical origin, engineering-created items and can be used to identify effects generated by Technology powers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Firearms

The intention is that there will be the equivalent of enchantments for firearms, engineering upgrades that will function like the creation rituals, and provide bonuses very similar to existing magic effects. I know there's tons of firearms ideas on the forums, but I'm trying to pull things from the material the Tinker comes from. You need the proficiency to reload them.

Firearms
One-handed Firearms

Flintlock Pistol: +2 prof, 1d8 damage, 10/20 range; Load Minor, Off-hand and Brutal 1
Price: 100g

Two-handed Firearms

Blunderbuss: +2 prof, 1d10 damage, 10/20 range; Load Minor and Brutal 2
Price: 150g

[b]Superior One-handed Firearms[/b]

Revolver Pistol: +3 prof, 1d8 damage, 15/30 range; Brutal 1 and Off-hand
Special: This firearm has 6 shots before it needs a reload (move action).
Price: 200g

[b]Superior Two-handed Firearms[/b]

Long Rifle: +2 prof, 2d6 damage, 20/40, Load Minor and Brutal 1
Price: 300g

[b]Ammunition[/b]

Bag of Shot (20 bullets/powder)
Price: 10g

Enhanced Firearms

[u]Enhancements[/u]

Speed Loader: +1 enhancement, reduces reload time by one category (standard=move=minor=free) (Level 4)

[u]Specific Firearms[/u]

Peace Keeper: A +2 Revolver that stuns the target when it lands a critical hit(until the end of your next turn) (Level 8)

Arcanite Rifle: A +3 long rifle with +3d8 damage on a critical hit (rather than 3d6). (Level 13)

Nessingwary 4000: A +4 long rifle that has 25/50 range and can critical on a roll of 19-20. (Level 17)

------------------------------------------------------------------

[u]Tools[/u]

Tools are intended to work as implements do for other caster classes. There will be tools that add bonuses just like symbols, wands, etc. Tools must be wielded to use powers with the Tool descriptor.

Tool Examples
[u]Example Enhanced Tool Kits:[/u]

Cutter's Set +1 (Level 3)
A tool set with a high-powered torch, very useful for cutting through armor plates.
Tool
Enhancement:
Attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: +1d6 damage per plus
Property: When you critical with the Cutting Torch power, the AC penalty becomes a (save ends) effect. Note that this property cannot stack with itself or the normal penalty caused by the power.
Power (Encounter ♦ Technology, Tool, Fire): Standard Action. As the Tinker's Cuttting Torch power.

Grinding Set +1 (Level 3)
A tool set with a powered stone grinder, very useful for generating sparks.
Tool
Enhancement:
Property: The attack penalty caused by your Spark Shower power is increased by 1.
Power (Encounter ♦ Technology, Tool, Fire): Standard Action. As the Tinker's Spark Shower power.

Charge Kit +1 (Level 3)
A tool set with a rivet gun, very useful for attaching pulse charges in... inconvenient places.
Tool
Enhancement:
Property: Targets struck by your pulse charge power have -1 to their Reflex defense until the end of your next turn. Note this effect is non-cumulative.
Power (Encounter ♦ Technology, Tool, Lightning): Standard Action. As the Tinker's Pulse Charge power.

Static Set +1 (Level 3)
A tool set with a small electrical generator, very useful for creating electrical bolts.
Tool
Enhancement:
Property: Your Zap power pushes the target one additional square.
Power (Encounter ♦ Technology, Tool, Lightning): Standard Action. As the Tinker's Zap power.
(removed)
(removed)
(removed)
(removed)
New Feats
Heroic Tier
[b]Name Prerequisites Benefit[/b]<br /> Backup Devices Improvised Gadget class power Can reroll failed Improvised Gadget roll as an encounter power.<br /> <br /> Quick Thinking Int 13 May use Intelligence modifier in place of Dexterity for initiative.<br /> <br /> Adrenaline Junkie Explosives Focus +1 Ref and Fort Defenses after using a Close burst or blast tech power until next turn<br /> <br /> Careful Checking Firearms Focus May spend a minor action in addition to a tech power's use to give it +1/tier to attack rolls.<br /> <br /> Perfectionist Gadgetry Focus Saves against your ongoing tech power effects are at -1.<br /> <br /> Dwarven Craftsmanship Dwarf, Tinker Your burst and blast technology powers have a +1 bonus to attack rolls.<br /> <br /> Infernal Machinist Tiefling, Tinker When you use [i]infernal wrath[/i] on a burst or blast technology power, you may apply the damage bonus against all targets.<br /> <br /> Detail-Oriented Halfling, Tinker You receive a +1 bonus to engineering skill checks and may add 1 to the result of any d20 roll used for a Tinker power (not attack rolls).<br /> <br /> Adaptable Builder Human, Improvised Gadget You have 2 extra uses of Improvised Gadget each day.<br /> <br /> Graceful Aim Elf, Tinker When you use [i]elven accuracy[/i] with a firearm attack, you receive an additional +2 bonus to the attack roll that stacks with any other bonuses you might receive.<br /> <br /> Fey Sending Eladrin, Tinker You may expend the use of your [i]fey step[/i] to make the origin square of a burst or blast technology attack anywhere within 5 squares, regardless of line of sight.<br /> <br /> Draconic Binding Dragonborn, Tinker You may expend the use of your [i]dragon breath[/i] when you use a close blast technology power to add it's damage to the power and change the energy type to the breath's type.<br /> <br /> Group Reaction Half-elf, Tinker Allies within the area of your burst or blast technology powers, receive a +1 bonus to their reflex defenses against the attack (this stacks with other bonuses).

Paragon Tier
[b]Name Prerequisites Benefit[/b]<br /> Trick Toss Tinker, Dex 15 The range on your grenade powers is increased by 2, and they ignore cover bonuses to defenses (not superior cover).<br /> <br /> Snipe Tinker, Wis 15, Firearms Focus +3 damage with firearm attacks against targets that did not move during their last turn.<br /> <br /> Pyromania Tinker Gain 3 temp HP after using a power with the technology and fire keywords.<br /> <br /> Fine Tune Tinker, Gadgetry Focus May expend a use of [i]Improvised Gadget[/i] for a +2 feat bonus to the attack rolls of the next technology power you use.<br /> <br /> Expert Sapper Tinker, Explosives Focus Your grenade and close blast powers ignore the first 5 resistance (energy or otherwise) of their targets.

Epic Tier
[b]Name Prerequisites Benefit[/b]<br /> Pinning Fire Tinker, Dex 21, Firearms Focus Your firearm criticals immobilize the target (save ends).<br /> <br /> Horrifying Devastation Tinker, Explosives Focus, Int 21 You may push targets struck by your burst and blast technology powers 1 square as a fear effect, they have -1 to all attack rolls (save ends).<br /> <br /> Self-Sustaining Devices Tinker, Gadgetry Focus, Int 21 When targets roll saves against your ongoing technology effects, they roll twice and take the lower result.

Multi-class
[b]Name Prerequisites Benefit[/b]<br /> Handyman [Multi-class Tinker] Intelligence 13 You gain one use of improvised gadget per day, and the engineering skill.<br /> <br /> Gun-savvy [Multi-class Tinker] Dexterity 13 You gain proficiency with firearms, and the engineering skill.

(moved)
Cool class. I love the humor thrown in there, especially stop, drop and roll.
sorry for the lack of constructive criticism.
Thanks, yea I noticed a lack of responses. Very quiet out there. I figure controller + possible plucky comic relief... and the occasional explosion or two what more could you ask for, right? Anyways, I do plan on keeping it updated and am going to keep plugging away at abilities.
(moved)
(moved)
(moved)
all IMO (I'm untrained in diplomacy, and i'm tired, but a bad comment is better then no comment, right?)...

I'm missing explenation about tools/ thechnology / ...
edit ... I see their some posts down. Perhaps you can put that in your original post. It would make it easier to read

- Piercing Round: overpowered, if technology weapons have a proficiency bonus.
- Spark shower: slightly overpowered: thunderwave his as problem that wizards don't automatically get armor proficiency ...
- Shrapnel Grenade ... thats 7 on 7 squares, isn't that way to big?
- new feats: perhaps use 'code', (ref to my sig - how to use tables)

Other then that: I see many of your powers are based on core powers, (I see cleave, ...) so it seems balanced ...
Qube's block builder: if you want to create blocks for powers, items and monsters for this forum, but don't know html
Signature in a box
For years, I've lived a double life. In the day, I do my job - I ride the bus, roll up my sleeves with the hoi-polloi. But at night, I live a life of exhilaration, of missed heartbeats and adrenalin. And, if the truth be known a life of dubious virtue. I won't deny it - I've been engaged in violence, even indulged in it. I've maimed and killed adversaries, and not merely in self-defence. I've exhibited disregard for life, limb and property, and savoured every moment. You may not think it, to look of me but I have commanded armies, and conquered worlds. And though in achieving these things I've set morality aside, I have no regrets. For though I've led a double life, at least I can say - I've lived.

3.jpg
D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - Stone Gaint

Scipio: And Chihuahuas have definitely improved in the "attacking ankles, yapping, and being generally annoying" environment. Me: OK, am I the only who sees an analogy between forum trolls & Chihuahuas?
Some of my work:
XDMC 19 (silver): A full fledged assassins guild (with stats, skill challenges, ...)link XDMC 14 (Bronze): a one shot campaign for beginning DMs/players. link XDMC 16: Paragon path: the Epitome: being better then all then any one else. link (note: this is balanced) XDMC 25: The Gelatinous Cube mount Guide To Disreality: a collection of houserules - Introduction & table of content
My ego in a box
who am I kidding? my ego would never fit in a box
Still reading this, but Shard Launcher should have the Zone keyword. It alters the terrain there until the end of the fight, right?
all IMO (I'm untrained in diplomacy, and i'm tired, but a bad comment is better then no comment, right?)...

I'm missing explenation about tools/ thechnology / ...
edit ... I see their some posts down. Perhaps you can put that in your original post. It would make it easier to read

- Piercing Round: overpowered, if technology weapons have a proficiency bonus.
- Spark shower: slightly overpowered: thunderwave his as problem that wizards don't automatically get armor proficiency ...
- Shrapnel Grenade ... thats 7 on 7 squares, isn't that way to big?
- new feats: perhaps use 'code', (ref to my sig - how to use tables)

Other then that: I see many of your powers are based on core powers, (I see cleave, ...) so it seems balanced ...

-Yes I do apologize for the mess, I really have been meaning to organize it, I have just been throwing it on here as I thought about it.

-For piercing round I might remove the +dex to damage or simply change it to hit AC and switch it up a bit. Yea it seemed a bit much after looking at rangers.

-Spark shower has been interesting, I wanted to give them a close blast at will, but I didn't want to clone thunderwave, so the next choice was attack penalty to each target it struck, though I may reduce it to -1, open to suggestions to keep it balanced and unique.

-Shrapnel, yes o man, originally it was a blast, but I forgot to shrink it after changing it. :P

-Thanks for that code bit, I searched for awhile for something like that after I found I couldn't use multi-spaces in the text box.
EDIT: MAJOR thanks on that code bit, im sure I'll deck things soon enough, is there any way to change the color of the deck title (to match at-will green/encounter red, etc?). How many decks can you have in one post without using spoiler blocks?

Still reading this, but Shard Launcher should have the Zone keyword. It alters the terrain there until the end of the fight, right?

Ah thanks Shin, I'll change that to a zone. Yes it alters the terrain, at least until creatures step through it (like caltrops).
-Piercing Round changed to Steady Aim, I believe this is more in line with other ranged at-will powers.

-Shrapnel Grenade's area fixed.

-Shard launcher now has the zone descriptor.

-Feats section given code (yea it's not perfect, but it looks a lot better now!)

-Spark Shower has had it's attack penalty reduced to -1 from -2.

-Going to be tidying up a bit, pardon my reorganization!

EDIT: Finished condensing it all into blocks, much neater, and space saving!
Level 6 utilities added
This is pretty cool, I'll be watching it.

-Level 7 encounter powers added
-Shard Launcher switched back to non-zone (all zones are dispellable, and thats silly)
-Added level 9 daily powers
Have you thought about setting it up like the spellplauge feats and PP in FR instead of a full blown class, it just doesn't feel right for a full blown class but feels perfect as an addition to any standard class
No, I really don't want to make it into just an off-shoot of an existing class, what fun would that be? :P

-Level 10 utility powers added.
-Added Freeze Ray to level 7 encounter powers.
I really like the look of this class; I had an Engineer/Techie on my to-do list, but perhaps now i can cross it off :D

I've only had the briefest of looks so far, i will give this a proper read through and give you what advice i can. I'm still working on my first homebrew class myself (in fact, i've done less powers than you so far), I'm nowhere near as good at picking out balance issues and the math stuff as some on the forums, but i'll chime in where i can :P
Thanks, yea I appreciate any feedback at all, you don't have to be a math genius or a rules guru to provide helpful feedback after all. ;)

Gonna be throwing out a couple paragon paths over the next few days before continuing the powers for 13+.
-------------------------
-Shrink Ray now adjusts reach of the shrunk target ( how silly that would have been)
A suggestion that I have about Improvised Gadget

Hi again, I've taken some time to go through and look at your powers and have a few comments/suggestions. This is all IMO, but i hope it's helpful :P

Without information on the build for the class it's difficult to balance the powers fully because i don't know which build has buffed which stats. You should probably spend a bit of time on this info before concentrating on your paragon paths, as the issue will be more pronounced after you go above 10th lvl.

Cuttiing Torch - For an at-will power i think this is quite overpowered; you have a +2 to hit, a d10 damage and an effect that could potentially benefit every member of your party for the round. I would suggest dropping the +2 bonus to hit and lowering the damage die to a d8. This still makes it slightly more powerful than the cleric's lance of faith power which only benefits one ally, but feels a lot more balanced.

Zap - This is perhaps a teeny bit much, i'd choose to go with either a push or secondary damage, i'm looking at the fighters cleave and tide of iron powers, that do each of those effects as seperate at-wills, and your power has the advantage of being ranged on top of that. Personally I would choose one effet or the other, but if you're dead set on having both then i would make the secondary damage equal to half Int (min +1).

Bola Shot - I love the fluff of this power, but balance-wise, i think it's way out there. Restrained doesnt appear in any power until level 17 (stab and grab - rogue enc), and even then it's only administered if the target is already grabbed. Maybe use immobalised (save ends) in an effect line rather than on a hit?

Concussive Blast - You don't need 'hit or miss' in here as the effect line always happens anyway. Dazing multiple enemies is quite potent, i would either drop the damage dice to 1d10, or loose the + int to damage to accomodate for that.

Cutting Saws - Wow! this is ace You should perhaps make the sustain a standard as it incorporates an attack. But if you want to be able to sustain the power longer to get the benfits of the build bonus you could perhaps use the flaming sphere as a base:

Sustain Minor: You can sustain this power until the end of the encounter. As a standard action, you can make another attack with the saws.

Does the build bonus to AC stack each round? if so then it's majorly powerful.

Shard Launcher - This power should have the Zone keyword.

Steam Hammer - Dazed might be a bit too much for a build bonus, but then maybe not *shrugs*

Thunder Cracker - The special line should be changed to an effect line, delete 'hit or miss'.

Looking back over what i've just written it seems like i've ripped your work apart a bit, sorry about that :S not my intention. If you feel like doing the same for my class, it'd be more than appreciated. I'll have a look through your higher lvl powers later, as i should be writing powers myself right now, i seem to get distracted from it too easily. Hope i was of help :D
A suggestion that I have about Improvised Gadget

I might drop wisdom from that, I dunno, Insight/Perception/Heal, I suppose with the added fact that it uses the raw skill would prevent it from becoming a group's skill replacement. I was trying to avoid forcing them to use the raw skill though, being compared to mages with their cantrips, especially on a limited use. I'll consider it though, I am still poking around with it.
Hi again, I've taken some time to go through and look at your powers and have a few comments/suggestions. This is all IMO, but i hope it's helpful :P

Without information on the build for the class it's difficult to balance the powers fully because i don't know which build has buffed which stats. You should probably spend a bit of time on this info before concentrating on your paragon paths, as the issue will be more pronounced after you go above 10th lvl.

Cuttiing Torch - For an at-will power i think this is quite overpowered; you have a +2 to hit, a d10 damage and an effect that could potentially benefit every member of your party for the round. I would suggest dropping the +2 bonus to hit and lowering the damage die to a d8. This still makes it slightly more powerful than the cleric's lance of faith power which only benefits one ally, but feels a lot more balanced.

Zap - This is perhaps a teeny bit much, i'd choose to go with either a push or secondary damage, i'm looking at the fighters cleave and tide of iron powers, that do each of those effects as seperate at-wills, and your power has the advantage of being ranged on top of that. Personally I would choose one effet or the other, but if you're dead set on having both then i would make the secondary damage equal to half Int (min +1).

Bola Shot - I love the fluff of this power, but balance-wise, i think it's way out there. Restrained doesnt appear in any power until level 17 (stab and grab - rogue enc), and even then it's only administered if the target is already grabbed. Maybe use immobalised (save ends) in an effect line rather than on a hit?

Concussive Blast - You don't need 'hit or miss' in here as the effect line always happens anyway. Dazing multiple enemies is quite potent, i would either drop the damage dice to 1d10, or loose the + int to damage to accomodate for that.

Cutting Saws - Wow! this is ace You should perhaps make the sustain a standard as it incorporates an attack. But if you want to be able to sustain the power longer to get the benfits of the build bonus you could perhaps use the flaming sphere as a base:

Sustain Minor: You can sustain this power until the end of the encounter. As a standard action, you can make another attack with the saws.

Does the build bonus to AC stack each round? if so then it's majorly powerful.

Shard Launcher - This power should have the Zone keyword.

Steam Hammer - Dazed might be a bit too much for a build bonus, but then maybe not *shrugs*

Thunder Cracker - The special line should be changed to an effect line, delete 'hit or miss'.

Looking back over what i've just written it seems like i've ripped your work apart a bit, sorry about that :S not my intention. If you feel like doing the same for my class, it'd be more than appreciated. I'll have a look through your higher lvl powers later, as i should be writing powers myself right now, i seem to get distracted from it too easily. Hope i was of help :D

Ok well, let's start from the top;

The stat builds for each 'spec' are as follows;
-Firearms: Dexterity primary, Wisdom secondary, Intelligence tertiary
-Explosives: Intelligence primary, Wisdom secondary, Constitution (for close range) and Dexterity are tied for tertiary.
-Gadgetry: Intelligence primary, Wisdom secondary, Constitution (for close range) and Dexterity are tied for tertiary.

The stat difference between gadgetry and explosives is minimal, however, explosives focus users will find added benefit from wisdom more often then gadgetry. Gadgetry is the one spec that can seriously focus in it's primary stat, nearly to the exclusion of the rest.

-Cutting Torch: At first glance it may seem overpowered, but consider the following; this class is not a melee class, so being in melee is a bad thing generally. The +2 attack bonus is to balance the fact it is vs AC with an implement attack (not weapon, so no proficiency bonus from a weapon meaning it's already down 2-3 attack vs what is usually a creature's primary defense stat). The 1d10 damage is to balance the fact the tinker has been caught in melee. Look at eldritch blast for example, 1d10 vs reflex at range 10 using the best of 3 stats as the power's key. Yes the -2 AC is quite hefty, I may consider dropping this to 1d8 damage, but unlike lance of faith, the only attacks it benefits are those targeting AC and Lance of Faith also targets reflex, not AC meaning it typically does not need the +2 bonus to be reliable.

-Zap: This power actually was based off of magic missile. Zap is down one dice of damage, has 1/2 the range and is not counted as a basic attack unlike MM. In exchange for losing those things, it gained the ability to 'cleave' into an adjacent target. This originally was intended to give tinkers that were not using firearms (wielding tools, etc) a ranged attack option. *Note that tide of iron also allows a shift, and has more utility for what it was designed for (protector).

-Bola Shot: It's true, restrained is not seen often at all and I had considered simply making it immobilize. What I may do is drop the +dex to damage, though it is already down 1[w] from most striker-esque ranged encounters of the level. Check out rangers at level 1; Evasive strike= 2[w]+ dex and shift 1+wisdom mod before or after; Two-fanged strike: 1[w] + dex mod, two attacks and inflict wisdom mod in damage if both land. What I may end up doing is dropping the current firearms focus bonus and making it cause restrain during the first turn, and switch the primary power to immobilize (save ends).

-Concussive blast: Yea 1d10 sounds reasonable for an aoe daze.

-Cutting Saws: No the AC is non cumulative, but remains active as long as the power is going ( I foresaw some confusion, I'll have to reword it). The reason I left it as minor is due to the fact, this is an attack that to get the most out of it, the tinker will have to be surrounded in melee... which is not a good place to be. The fact the attack is daily and vs AC and only moves with the tinker I think justifies the minor action. I did actually look at flaming sphere, heres why sphere is standard to attack; it has an aura that tags things for free independently of the wizard's actions, it also doesn't place the wizard in any direct danger as he can roll that right around a corner. Just a couple thoughts, I did think long and hard before I gave it a minor sustain, though if anyone else has any thoughts on this please share, I haven't gotten to test any of these out yet.

-Shard Launcher: Someone else said that too, but I looked up zone, and it clearly states all zones are dispellable by dispel magic and similair effects... a bit silly I think. For me to add a zone discriptor, I would have to add that text bit preventing the dispel... but that's the only reason to add the zone descriptor mechanically that I can see.

-Steam Hammer: This is the same as the other melee range powers, they are intended to punish enemies for closing to melee a class that is fairly fragile in melee combat. Note this attack is vs AC and the daze lasts until the end of the target's next turn (meaning not dazed during your turn), yea it still causes them to decide to stand or attack at penalty but not quite a full round daze.

-Thunder Cracker: Ah okay, I'll fix that one.

Exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for thanks. ;)
-Concussive blast's damage set to 1d10 (from 2d6), effect reworded.

-Thunder cracker's effect reworded.

-Cutting torch's damage reduced to 2d4 (from 1d10).

-Cutting saws' bonus effect reworded.
I might drop wisdom from that, I dunno, Insight/Perception/Heal, I suppose with the added fact that it uses the raw skill would prevent it from becoming a group's skill replacement. I was trying to avoid forcing them to use the raw skill though, being compared to mages with their cantrips, especially on a limited use. I'll consider it though, I am still poking around with it.

I added Wisdom based skill to represent that you could piece together a tool to aid on those skill checks like a magnifying glass, periscope, or spy glass to aid in a perception check; a makeshift med kit to aid in a healing check. The reason I just wanted a flat bonus to using a skill is to help if you already had the skill, that way if you are a fireams tinker trained in thievery but that extra bump you can still benefit.
I added Wisdom based skill to represent that you could piece together a tool to aid on those skill checks like a magnifying glass, periscope, or spy glass to aid in a perception check; a makeshift med kit to aid in a healing check. The reason I just wanted a flat bonus to using a skill is to help if you already had the skill, that way if you are a fireams tinker trained in thievery but that extra bump you can still benefit.

True to both those statements. Although in it's current state, being a tinker trained in thievery means you have a better check most likely with thievery then engineering at -2, meaning you could save those uses for a skill you aren't so good at. Although I could see getting more of a bonus to aid someone already trained. I suppose a +3 bonus even to an untrained skill isn't half bad. I think I might change it. (Though I do like them rolling their engineering skill for it still myself)
-------------------------

-Improvised Gadget reworked.

-Always prepared utility reworked.

-Mini rocket's prone effect removed.
Well if you want a compromise have them roll Engineering to create the item, with the DC determining the bonus granted to the check. DC 15 +2, DC 25 +3, DC 35 +4, DC 45 +5
Nah that makes it too complicated, lol.
-Marksman paragon path added

-Bombardier paragon path added (this also caused several powers to gain the Grenade descriptor that will lead to some extra feats and utility options)
I might work through and comment on specific things later, but for now I'll just say this: very cool, nice work.

Nothing.

That is all.

-Improviser paragon path added.
Right now the class doesn't feel flexible enough to be a controller I have a few suggestions about the way the powers are layed out. Firearms: ranged attacks single target and aoes (Dexterity based), Explosives: AOE both close and ranged (should have at least 2 choices one based off of Dexterity and one based off of Intelligence) and Engineering: mix of close and ranged attacks single target status effects (Intelligence based). As it stands now Firearm focused tinkers have no other choices since they are focused on Dexterity their Int wont be much higher than +1 to +3
Yes, I have been looking it over, and am going to be adding at least one more dex attack option to each encounter at the very least as well as an additional At-will that uses dex.

- 3 Builds added
EDIT: MAJOR thanks on that code bit, im sure I'll deck things soon enough, is there any way to change the color of the deck title (to match at-will green/encounter red, etc?). How many decks can you have in one post without using spoiler blocks?

'deck' was originally not for DnD, but for Magic The Gathering forum: it was a way to post a deck of card, so Its not equiped to handle DnD's 3-color-system. so no color changes.
I think I'll go search where to post feature requests for the forum ...

how many decks? I seriously don't know. All I know it that it didn't want to submit the edit of my post, after I the first few levels of a made class. after putting each level in SBLOCK, submitting went again
(PS, if you ever find out, plz PM it, so I can edit my sig )
Qube's block builder: if you want to create blocks for powers, items and monsters for this forum, but don't know html
Signature in a box
For years, I've lived a double life. In the day, I do my job - I ride the bus, roll up my sleeves with the hoi-polloi. But at night, I live a life of exhilaration, of missed heartbeats and adrenalin. And, if the truth be known a life of dubious virtue. I won't deny it - I've been engaged in violence, even indulged in it. I've maimed and killed adversaries, and not merely in self-defence. I've exhibited disregard for life, limb and property, and savoured every moment. You may not think it, to look of me but I have commanded armies, and conquered worlds. And though in achieving these things I've set morality aside, I have no regrets. For though I've led a double life, at least I can say - I've lived.

3.jpg
D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - Stone Gaint

Scipio: And Chihuahuas have definitely improved in the "attacking ankles, yapping, and being generally annoying" environment. Me: OK, am I the only who sees an analogy between forum trolls & Chihuahuas?
Some of my work:
XDMC 19 (silver): A full fledged assassins guild (with stats, skill challenges, ...)link XDMC 14 (Bronze): a one shot campaign for beginning DMs/players. link XDMC 16: Paragon path: the Epitome: being better then all then any one else. link (note: this is balanced) XDMC 25: The Gelatinous Cube mount Guide To Disreality: a collection of houserules - Introduction & table of content
My ego in a box
who am I kidding? my ego would never fit in a box