[4E] 300 Encounters - "An Epic Campaign" by All of You

110 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lately I was reading the DMG, and once again I was positively surprised by how modular the planning of a "campaign" can be, how easy it is to plan a series of encounters, with the XP budget and the Treasure Parcels.

So I thought, as a "mental exercise" and also for use by all of us, why don't we create 300 encounters, 10 for each level, all tied up in one big campaign?

The challenge is of course to try to find a connection to what the person that posted before us has done... if someone created an encounter with goblins in a big room, am I going to create another encounter where the PCs get out of the room, and into the wilderness? Or do I keep mapping dungeon rooms?

The idea would be to have as much variety as possible, still trying to keep coherent with each other.

We can have 10 encounter for each level, and each 10 encounters will be one "dungeon" (but can also be one story-line, travel, RP plot, etc), at the end of which the players can go back to their home base (or keep travelling), for levelling up, replenish resources and such.

Each encounter will have the standard XP budget, for the Treasure Parcels, I think we can proceed as follows:

Encounter 01 - Parcel 10
Encounter 02 - Parcel 9
Encounter 03 - Parcel 8
Encounter 04 - Parcel 7
Encounter 05 - Parcel 6
Encounter 06 - Parcel 5
Encounter 07 - Parcel 4
Encounter 08 - Percel 3
Encounter 09 - Parcel 2
Encounter 10 - Parcel 1

With Encounter 10 being the final showdown with the "level-boss"

of course, as DMs, sometimes we put more parcels to one encounter, like when we want to simulate a Dragon's Horde, or a treasure chamber... not sure how we can handle this, but i guess if someone feels like his encounter shouldn't have any treasure, he can "leave it open" for someone else to use in a future encounter.

Same goes for XP budget... usually, I allot less XP to early encounters, and give more for the Final Showdown, but I felt it was better to give all encounters the same XP budget in this situation, so nobody feels neglected

if you post an encounter, you cannot post until 2 OTHER encounters have been posted (so, if you post encounter 1, you need to wait till 4 to post again)

Try to put as much details as you can in your encounter, like a map, tactics, personalities of the creatures involved, skill challenges, description of traps, etc.

Maybe you expect me to start this up with an encounter, but I really just thought about posting this... if I see no responses in the forst few days, I'll come up with something.

ok, I think that's it, if you have any suggestions, feel free to post.

I think this could be a great tool for all DMs on these boards, and honestly I have much more trust in fellow palyers to create scenarios than in "so-called" professionals... but that's another story entirely

have fun!

COMPLETED ADVENTURES

[URL=http://www.4shared.com/file/73868703/503689ec/Adventure_1.html
]Level 1 - The Tomb of Lord Horian[/url]

My RPG Campaigns

I joke that D&D Next is what happens when, A Christmas Carol-like, 3rd & 4th edition's ghosts travel back in time to an evening near the end of AD&D 2E's life, and say "this is what is coming" and so AD&D 2E heads off in a different direction. So, it's like alt-reality AD&D 3rd, maybe?Cam Banks

Question! Are we just going to use monsters straight from the MM or can we custom make some too?
Question! Are we just going to use monsters straight from the MM or can we custom make some too?

if you feel sure you can create something balanced and interesting, i don't see a problem in creating something new ^^

My RPG Campaigns

I joke that D&D Next is what happens when, A Christmas Carol-like, 3rd & 4th edition's ghosts travel back in time to an evening near the end of AD&D 2E's life, and say "this is what is coming" and so AD&D 2E heads off in a different direction. So, it's like alt-reality AD&D 3rd, maybe?Cam Banks

A very intriguing idea! Should inspiration strike, I'll be in here with an encounter.
I might give this a shot...
01 - Encounter Level 1 - 500 xp

MAP

Kobold Skirmisher x2
Fire Beetles x2
Stirge x1

Setup
This area serves as a guard point for the entrance to the complex.

As the adventurers enter this chamber, read:
Opening the big stone double doors, you find yourselves into a square room of big stone bricks, with openings on all sides. Four colums, representing stout dwarves with angular features, are spaced evenly at the corners of the room. A few torches illuminate the room, togheter with a weird luminescence coming out of two big bugs. In the south, a big cage contains a weird birdlike creature. As you enter, you're welcomed by the screams of "Intruders!"

Features of the Area:
Columns - they grant cover
Stone double doors - none of them are locked, but they require a DC 15 Strength check to swing open.

Tactics:
The kobolds send their bettles charging ahead, as one of them open the cage of the stirge. Then they join the fray, using their mobility to flank. If both beetles and the stirge are dead, the kobolds try to run away to look for help inside the complex.

Treasure (Parcel 10): The column on the northeast hides a secret compartment (DC 12 Search check). If uncovered, it contains an obsidian statuette of a dwarf, worth 40 gp

and that's my first encounter... now up to you to map another room!

My RPG Campaigns

Delazar, you mention that the first room has "openings on all sides." I have a few questions about what exactly you mean by that. Does it mean that there are wide open archways in three directions? You mention double doors, so I am assuming this is not the case; that instead there are 3 doors the players can choose.

From the way I am understanding the description, one of the 'sides' of the room would be where the PCs first enter the complex; the other 3 'sides' have double doors which lead elsewhere.
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and selfish. I act mostly for my own benefit, but I respect and help my community - Specially when it helps me. At best, I'm loyal and dedicated; at worst, I'm elitist and shrewd.
 The Best in Gaming!
Have you clicked on the map link, Johnny? Its pretty clear. In any case you have it right. Double doors in the center of the four walls and one of them is the dungeon entrance.
Have you clicked on the map link, Johnny? Its pretty clear. In any case you have it right. Double doors in the center of the four walls and one of them is the dungeon entrance.

Somehow I missed the link the first time around. I'll probably post something to contribute once I come up with something.
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
I'm both orderly and selfish. I act mostly for my own benefit, but I respect and help my community - Specially when it helps me. At best, I'm loyal and dedicated; at worst, I'm elitist and shrewd.
 The Best in Gaming!
I don't have a mapmaking program, unfortunately. Maybe some nice person could draw the map for this one?

Anyway, there should be a relatively plot-unimportant encounter behind the unguarded door, and a major kobold-nest behind the hidden and guarded one. If you don't understand the room layout (which I admit is a bit complicated), I'll see if I can put together a crude diagram in MS Paint.

Also, in retrospect I realize that a wizard could potentially one-shot all four kobolds with an area spell, assuming he hits them all (granted, he'd have to roll well four times, and two of them have cover, but its still possible). Should I weaken the monster in the pit and use that XP to buy tougher kobolds?
Space Dragon - I think your encounter is good as is. It's ok that they're all minions and could be potentially one-shotted because the first encounter's (the encounter made by Delazar) creates the possibility that your encounter might also include some of the kobolds from that encounter.

From how I understand it, your room looks something like this:

OO3
XKK
XKK
XJJ
XTT
XTT
XXX2

1 = where the pcs enter
2 = the unimportant door
3 = guarded door
X = empty squares
O = wall
T = trapped squares
J = junk pile
K = kobolds

The only thing I was unsure of was which door you picked from the main room to connect your hallway to. The way I have it oriented would be as if it were connected to the North door; the one which was straight across from the door through which the PCs first entered the complex.
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
 The Best in Gaming!
Cool. Yes, that diagram is very much what I had in mind.

My room can really be attached to any of the doors in area 1. It would help if we knew what sort of building this used to be and how long the kobolds have been here. Any ideas?
encounter 3

If from the first chamber the PCs choose to go through the western door (the one to the left of the room if you're looking at Delazar's map of the original room,) it brings them to the following:

With a little effort the stone doors open.(Alternatively the doors may have already been open if some of the kobolds from the first encounter fled this way.)What you can immediately see is a 10 ft (2 square) by 10ft chamber made of stone; from floor to ceiling the corridor also appears to measure the same distance - 10 ft. You can also easily notice that in the far left corner of the room is a spiral stairway carved out of stone leading down.

------
|XX1
|SX1
------

X = empty spaces
S = stairway
1 = the direction the PCs will be coming from

If the PCs venture down the spiral stone stairway, it spirals down for about 100 ft (20 squares.) There are not torches or any other light source, so without light the PCs may possibly be in total darkness during the trek down. Eventually the corridor connects to a lower level chamber measuring 20 ft long (4 squares) by 25 ft wide (5 squares) as shown below. Light can be seen at the end of the stairway; the chamber it connects to is lit by several torches hanging along the far wall. Inside the room is a pair of Kobold Minions, a Juvenile Flame Spitting Drake, and a Dragonshield Guardian. The position of the kobolds may vary from the diagram shown below if they have been warned of the PCs' approach; they may also possibly have actions readied.

At the south end of the chamber is a large metal door similar to that of a bank vault. Flanking the door; attached to the wall, are two levers. The door is electrified whenever both levers are in the same position (whether that be up or down.) It works similar to a simple electrical circuit; if both levers are not in the same position, the circuit is broken and the door is no longer electrified.

Beyond the door is a group of Goblins who are being held prisoner by the kobolds, but the PCs won't know that yet. The Goblin group consists of 2 Goblin Cutters and 1 Wounded Goblin Warrior; the wounded warrior acts as the leader of the group. How the goblins interact with the PCs varies depending upon how the encounter plays out. If the door is opened during the fight with the kobolds then they will engage the kobolds; they won't immediately attack the PCs unless an attack made by the PCs harms one of them. If the kobolds are all killed and the goblins have not been provoked, the PCs may attempt a negotiation skill challenge in order to gain the goblins as allies. If the PCs fail the skill challenge it is the DM's choice as to what happens. The goblins may still offer some information about the complex; the goblins may fight the pcs; the goblins may simply just leave and not help the PCs at all. The goblins speak only goblin; if the PCs cannot communicate with them then the goblins more than likely simply just attempt to leave the complex.

Treasure Parcel 8: A pouch on the Dragonshield Guardian contains 120 GP.

-------
1XXXK|
1XXXX|
|XXXX|
|XXXX|
|KGDX|
-!===!-
|?????|
|?????|
-------

1 = where the PCs will be entering from
X = empty squares
K = Kobold Minion
G = Dragonshield Guardian
D = Juvenile Flame Spitting Drake
! = levers
= = metal door
? = prison chamber in which the goblins are located

stats for new creatures

DRAGONSHIELD GUARDIAN LEVEL 2 ELITE SOLDIER
Small natural humanoid (kobold) XP 250

Initiative +4 Senses: Perception +2; darkvision
HP 64; bloodied 32
AC 20 Fort 16 Reflex 14 Will 14; see also trap sense
Action Point 1; Saves +2
Resist 5 fire
Speed 5
Short Sword (standard; at-will) * weapon
+7 vs AC; 1d6+3 damage, and the target is marked until the end of the Dragonshield Guardian's next turn
Dragonshield Tactics (immediate reaction, when an adjacent enemy shifts away or an enemy moves adjacent; at-will)
The Dragonshield Guardian shifts 1 square
Shifty (minor; at-will)
Mob Attack
The Dragonshield Guardian gains a +1 bonus to attack rolls per kobold ally adjacent to the target.
Shieldbearer
Allies adjacent to the bodyguard gain a +2 power bonus to
Indomitable Presence
Every time a Dragonshield Guardian attacks an enemy, whether the
attack hits or misses, it marks that target. The mark lasts
until the end of the Dragonshield’s next turn. When a target
is marked, it takes a –2 penalty to attack rolls if the attack
doesn’t include the Dragonshield as a target. A creature
can be subject to only one mark at a time. A new mark
supersedes a mark that was already in place.
In addition, whenever a marked enemy that is
adjacent to the Dragonshield shifts or makes an attack that
does not include the bodyguard, the Dragonshield can make
a basic melee attack against that enemy as an immediate interrupt
Trap Sense
The kobold gains a +2 bonus to all defenses against traps

Alignment: evil Languages: draconic, common
Skills: acrobatics +5, stealth +7, thievery +7
STR 14 (+3) DEX 13 (+2) WIS 12 (+2)
CON 12 (+2) INT 9 (+0) CHA 10 (+1)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Juvenile Flame Spitting Drake Level 1 Elite Artillery
Medium natural magical beast (reptile)(elemental) XP 200

Initiative: +5 Senses: perception +3
HP 48; bloodied 24
AC 16 Fort 14 Reflex 16 Will 12
Action Point 1, Saves +2
Resist 10 acid; 5 fire
Speed 7
Bite (standard; at-will)
+4 vs AC; 1d6+1 damage
Caustic Spit (standard, at-will) * acid
Ranged 10; +6 vs Reflex; 1d10+3 acid damage
Born of Fire
The Fire Spitting Drake can convert any attack power it has
to fire. Change a power’s energy keyword to fire, or add
fire energy to an attack power that doesn’t normally deal
energy damage.
Hot Body
Any creature that hits the scion of flame with a melee
attack takes 2 fire damage.

Alignment: unaligned Languages: ---
STR 14 (+3) DEX 18 (+5) WIS 14 (+3)
CON 14 (+3) INT 3 (-3) CHA 12 (+2)

some notes about the encounter design

The Wounded Goblin Warrior is the same as a regular Goblin Warrior with the following exceptions: HP 10; AC 16; Fortitude 10; Reflex 12; Will 10; XP special

The Electrified Door: Anyone touching the electrified door while it is active risks being shocked. The DM should be sure to give obvious hints that something is wrong with the door such as describing an "electrical buzz" coming from the door. +6 vs Fortitude; 4d4 damage on a hit; half damage on a miss. The door is opened by turning a large wheel which is centered on the door. XP special

Encounter Level 2 - Total XP 625

2 Kobold Minions, Level 1 Minions - XP 50
Juvenile Fire Spitting Drake, Level 1 Elite - XP 200
Dragonshield Guardian, Level 2 Elite - XP 250
2 Goblin Cutters, Level 1 Minions - XP 50
Wounded Goblin Warrior, Level 1 Soldier (modified) - XP special
Electrified Door, obstacle/terrain feature - XP special

possible Goblin Negotiation Skill Challenge

Possible Goblin Skill Challenge

Setup: For the Goblins to provide assistance, the PCs
need to be able to speak and understand the Goblin language. The PCs may be able to convince the Goblins to assist the PCs in fighting the Kobolds.

Complexity 1: 4 successes before 2 failures

Primary Skills: Bluff, Diplomacy, Insight.
Bluff (DC 20): You try to encourage the Goblins
to aid your quest using false pretenses.
Diplomacy (DC 15): You entreat the NPC for
aid in your quest.
Insight (DC 10)(can only be used once in this encounter): You empathize with the
Goblin and use that knowledge to encourage assistance.
First success with this skill reveals that the goblins are currently on edge due to their captivity at the hands of the kobolds. Any use of the
Intimidate skill will provoke combat.
Success: The Goblins will follow the PCs into other areas of the complex and aid in fighting the kobolds. However, if at any time an attack from the PCs causes damage to one of the goblins they immediately become hostile...even in the midst of a fight.
Failure: The DM should feel free to determine the exact details of failure in this situation. The Goblins may have some sort of information that they offer the PCs, but beyond that they refuse to help. Depending on how badly the PCs fail, failure may provoke combat.

Regardless of how the Goblins are dealt with, they (along with the door) are worth the rest of the XP for the encounter. I realize that this is somewhat ad hoc, but I had a few reasons for diverging from the normal experience amounts. The door is similar to a trap, but it is exceedingly easy to avoid, and clues as to the nature of it should be fairly obvious; also, the way to "disarm" it is extremely easy. The door is also just as much of a hazard to the enemy as it is the PCs. As for the Goblins, a skill challenge would normally yield more XP; however, this particular challenge has rewards which go beyond XP. The goblins could possibly make other encounters in the complex easier. The DM should feel free to have the goblins die via making stupid decisions if they start to make things easier than desired.

I am White/Black
I am White/Black
 The Best in Gaming!
Johnny, that post was difficult to read and a little confusing; could you please restructure it? Maybe putting the creature stats in spoilers would help. Anyway, as long as the door is obviously electrified and the PC's would have to be retarded to touch it while its active, it shouldn't affect the encounter difficulty.

By the way, did you make those monsters from the ground up, or did you apply templates to existing ones? Just curious.

The fact that this is basically two encounters in one (for a total of 625 xp) should serve as a reminder that not all the encounters need to be set up in linear order. A first level party can have a couple of second or third level encounters (harder than usual fights), and a third level party can have a couple of first level encounters (easier than usual fights). Its all worth the same amount of XP in the end. Granted, this should only happen in a few cases; more often than not, we should progress linearly along the level chain when making these encounters.

I'm also wondering about the goblins now. How did the kobolds end up capturing them, and for what purpose? Maybe they were planning to sacrifice them to a drago...nah, too predictable, we'll think of something else.

EDIT: hang on, if that was a level 2 encounter, how come it uses the level 1 treasure parcel 8?
Johnny, that post was difficult to read and a little confusing; could you please restructure it? Maybe putting the creature stats in spoilers would help. Anyway, as long as the door is obviously electrified and the PC's would have to be retarded to touch it while its active, it shouldn't affect the encounter difficulty.

By the way, did you make those monsters from the ground up, or did you apply templates to existing ones? Just curious.

The fact that this is basically two encounters in one (for a total of 625 xp) should serve as a reminder that not all the encounters need to be set up in linear order. A first level party can have a couple of second or third level encounters (harder than usual fights), and a third level party can have a couple of first level encounters (easier than usual fights). Its all worth the same amount of XP in the end. Granted, this should only happen in a few cases; more often than not, we should progress linearly along the level chain when making these encounters.

I'm also wondering about the goblins now. How did the kobolds end up capturing them, and for what purpose? Maybe they were planning to sacrifice them to a drago...nah, too predictable, we'll think of something else.

EDIT: hang on, if that was a level 2 encounter, how come it uses the level 1 treasure parcel 8?

Yeah, I do have to admit that the post was probably a little convoluted. I was trying to type it while multitasking with a few other things. I'll see if I can figure out a way to make things clearer.

As for the treasure parcel...I thought that the treasure parcel level was based on the level of the party? It's possible that I'm wrong about that though because my experience with actually DMing 4E is fairly limited.

You're right, they are two seperate encounters, but they have the possibility of becoming one encounter depending upon how the PCs progress, so I basically gave the XP total for a level 2 encounter. As I said in my previous post though, the XP I gave was somewhat ad hoc in order to handle a few situations that I wanted to include in the encounter(s) which weren't really covered by the 4E guidelines.

The Fire Spitting Drake and the Dragonshield Guardian were created with templates, but I changed the names of a few of their abilities in order to create somewhat of a theme with what I ended up with. The Dragonshield Guardian is a Kobold Dragonshield with the Bodyguard template, and the Fire Spitting Drake is a Spitting Drake which I lowered to level one and then added the Scion of Flame template.
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
 The Best in Gaming!
I don't want to post another room immediately (since I did the one before last), but I just had an idea I thought I'd run by you guys.

These kobolds (instead of serving a dragon, which is what the PC's will probably be expecting) have taken up the worship of devils. An early boss can be the kobold diabolist; a wyrmpriest with the Warlock (infernal pact) template and his imp buddy, probably assisted by a pack of kobold minions.

You guys like this idea? If so, we should maybe drop a couple of subtle hints about the diabolical connection in the next few rooms.
Cool. Yes, that diagram is very much what I had in mind.

My room can really be attached to any of the doors in area 1. It would help if we knew what sort of building this used to be and how long the kobolds have been here. Any ideas?

I'm still trying to come up with a few ideas for what the complex is supposed to be. I think perhaps once we flesh out a few more encounters that I may have a better idea depending upon what sort of interactions we find between encounters that people create.

I don't want to post another room immediately (since I did the one before last), but I just had an idea I thought I'd run by you guys.

These kobolds (instead of serving a dragon, which is what the PC's will probably be expecting) have taken up the worship of devils. An early boss can be the kobold diabolist; a wyrmpriest with the Warlock (infernal pact) template and his imp buddy, probably assisted by a pack of kobold minions.

You guys like this idea? If so, we should maybe drop a couple of subtle hints about the diabolical connection in the next few rooms.

I think it would be interesting to possibly try something different than the typical "Kobolds worship dragons." Kobolds working for devils could be interesting. Another interesting idea (and one which I don't think I've seen much in 4E) would be Kobolds who have some sort of religious connection to a Primordial. Primordials have a very elemental nature; as such, they could grant powers which might superficially seem similar to a dragon's powers -such as being able to spew fire from their mouths.

One the other hand, using the typical dragon schtick might be a nice way to show off some of the new Kobold options in the Draconomicon.

I don't really favor one idea or the other...just some food for thought.

an alternative idea

It may actually even be possible to use multiple ideas. For example, if I wanted to use both the Primordial idea and the Dragon idea the story could be that the kobolds did originally worship the dragon. Somewhere along the line their beliefs were swayed by coming into contact with a Primordial whom they came to view as a god of sorts. Somewhere along the line the dragon picked up the goblins as its new followers and a religious war of sorts was started.
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
 The Best in Gaming!
The Rules As Proposed by Delazar

Lately I was reading the DMG, and once again I was positively surprised by how modular the planning of a "campaign" can be, how easy it is to plan a series of encounters, with the XP budget and the Treasure Parcels.

So I thought, as a "mental exercise" and also for use by all of us, why don't we create 300 encounters, 10 for each level, all tied up in one big campaign?

The challenge is of course to try to find a connection to what the person that posted before us has done... if someone created an encounter with goblins in a big room, am I going to create another encounter where the PCs get out of the room, and into the wilderness? Or do I keep mapping dungeon rooms?

The idea would be to have as much variety as possible, still trying to keep coherent with each other.

We can have 10 encounter for each level, and each 10 encounters will be one "dungeon" (but can also be one story-line, travel, RP plot, etc), at the end of which the players can go back to their home base (or keep travelling), for levelling up, replenish resources and such.

Each encounter will have the standard XP budget, for the Treasure Parcels, I think we can proceed as follows:

Encounter 01 - Parcel 10
Encounter 02 - Parcel 9
Encounter 03 - Parcel 8
Encounter 04 - Parcel 7
Encounter 05 - Parcel 6
Encounter 06 - Parcel 5
Encounter 07 - Parcel 4
Encounter 08 - Percel 3
Encounter 09 - Parcel 2
Encounter 10 - Parcel 1

With Encounter 10 being the final showdown with the "level-boss"

of course, as DMs, sometimes we put more parcels to one encounter, like when we want to simulate a Dragon's Horde, or a treasure chamber... not sure how we can handle this, but i guess if someone feels like his encounter shouldn't have any treasure, he can "leave it open" for someone else to use in a future encounter.

Same goes for XP budget... usually, I allot less XP to early encounters, and give more for the Final Showdown, but I felt it was better to give all encounters the same XP budget in this situation, so nobody feels neglected

if you post an encounter, you cannot post until 2 OTHER encounters have been posted (so, if you post encounter 1, you need to wait till 4 to post again)

Try to put as much details as you can in your encounter, like a map, tactics, personalities of the creatures involved, skill challenges, description of traps, etc.

Maybe you expect me to start this up with an encounter, but I really just thought about posting this... if I see no responses in the forst few days, I'll come up with something.

ok, I think that's it, if you have any suggestions, feel free to post.

I think this could be a great tool for all DMs on these boards, and honestly I have much more trust in fellow palyers to create scenarios than in "so-called" professionals... but that's another story entirely

have fun!

I was trying to group together the initial rules and the encounters we have so far, but the multi-quote feature doesn't seem to be working for me.
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
 The Best in Gaming!
Encounter 1

01 - Encounter Level 1 - 500 xp

IMAGE(http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_d63Yzah6r9U/SSU4WTT4clI/AAAAAAAAACw/NZvxFYCREkU/s1600-h/Encounter+1+Map.jpg)

trying to link this image, but it's not working...

Kobold Skirmisher x2
Fire Beetles x2
Stirge x1

Setup
This area serves as a guard point for the entrance to the complex.

Opening the big stone double doors, you find yourselves into a square room of big stone bricks, with openings on all sides. Four colums, representing stout dwarves with angular features, are spaced evenly at the corners of the room. A few torches illuminate the room, togheter with a weird luminescence coming out of two big bugs. In the south, a big cage contains a weird birdlike creature. As you enter, you're welcomed by the screams of "Intruders!"

Features of the Area:
Columns - they grant cover
Stone double doors - none of them are locked, but they require a DC 15 Strength check to swing open.

Tactics:
The kobolds send their bettles charging ahead, as one of them open the cage of the stirge. Then they join the fray, using their mobility to flank. If both beetles and the stirge are dead, the kobolds try to run away to look for help inside the complex.

Treasure (Parcel 10): The column on the northeast hides a secret compartment (DC 12 Search check). If uncovered, it contains an obsidian statuette of a dwarf, worth 40 gp

and that's my first encounter... now up to you to map another room!

Encounter 2

I don't have a mapmaking program, unfortunately. Maybe some nice person could draw the map for this one?

Anyway, there should be a relatively plot-unimportant encounter behind the unguarded door, and a major kobold-nest behind the hidden and guarded one. If you don't understand the room layout (which I admit is a bit complicated), I'll see if I can put together a crude diagram in MS Paint.

Also, in retrospect I realize that a wizard could potentially one-shot all four kobolds with an area spell, assuming he hits them all (granted, he'd have to roll well four times, and two of them have cover, but its still possible). Should I weaken the monster in the pit and use that XP to buy tougher kobolds?

These are the first two encounters.
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
 The Best in Gaming!
Encounter 3

encounter 3

If from the first chamber the PCs choose to go through the western door (the one to the left of the room if you're looking at Delazar's map of the original room,) it brings them to the following:

With a little effort the stone doors open.(Alternatively the doors may have already been open if some of the kobolds from the first encounter fled this way.)What you can immediately see is a 10 ft (2 square) by 10ft chamber made of stone; from floor to ceiling the corridor also appears to measure the same distance - 10 ft. You can also easily notice that in the far left corner of the room is a spiral stairway carved out of stone leading down.

------
|XX1
|SX1
------

X = empty spaces
S = stairway
1 = the direction the PCs will be coming from

If the PCs venture down the spiral stone stairway, it spirals down for about 100 ft (20 squares.) There are not torches or any other light source, so without light the PCs may possibly be in total darkness during the trek down. Eventually the corridor connects to a lower level chamber measuring 20 ft long (4 squares) by 25 ft wide (5 squares) as shown below. Light can be seen at the end of the stairway; the chamber it connects to is lit by several torches hanging along the far wall. Inside the room is a pair of Kobold Minions, a Juvenile Flame Spitting Drake, and a Dragonshield Guardian. The position of the kobolds may vary from the diagram shown below if they have been warned of the PCs' approach; they may also possibly have actions readied.

At the south end of the chamber is a large metal door similar to that of a bank vault. Flanking the door; attached to the wall, are two levers. The door is electrified whenever both levers are in the same position (whether that be up or down.) It works similar to a simple electrical circuit; if both levers are not in the same position, the circuit is broken and the door is no longer electrified.

Beyond the door is a group of Goblins who are being held prisoner by the kobolds, but the PCs won't know that yet. The Goblin group consists of 2 Goblin Cutters and 1 Wounded Goblin Warrior; the wounded warrior acts as the leader of the group. How the goblins interact with the PCs varies depending upon how the encounter plays out. If the door is opened during the fight with the kobolds then they will engage the kobolds; they won't immediately attack the PCs unless an attack made by the PCs harms one of them. If the kobolds are all killed and the goblins have not been provoked, the PCs may attempt a negotiation skill challenge in order to gain the goblins as allies. If the PCs fail the skill challenge it is the DM's choice as to what happens. The goblins may still offer some information about the complex; the goblins may fight the pcs; the goblins may simply just leave and not help the PCs at all. The goblins speak only goblin; if the PCs cannot communicate with them then the goblins more than likely simply just attempt to leave the complex.

-------
1XXXK|
1XXXX|
|XXXX|
|XXXX|
|KGDX|
-!===!-
|?????|
|?????|
-------

1 = where the PCs will be entering from
X = empty squares
K = Kobold Minion
G = Dragonshield Guardian
D = Juvenile Flame Spitting Drake
! = levers
= = metal door
? = prison chamber in which the goblins are located

stats for new creatures

DRAGONSHIELD GUARDIAN LEVEL 2 ELITE SOLDIER
Small natural humanoid (kobold) XP 250

Initiative +4 Senses: Perception +2; darkvision
HP 64; bloodied 32
AC 20 Fort 16 Reflex 14 Will 14; see also trap sense
Action Point 1; Saves +2
Resist 5 fire
Speed 5
Short Sword (standard; at-will) * weapon
+7 vs AC; 1d6+3 damage, and the target is marked until the end of the Dragonshield Guardian's next turn
Dragonshield Tactics (immediate reaction, when an adjacent enemy shifts away or an enemy moves adjacent; at-will)
Shifty (minor; at-will)
Mob Attack
The Dragonshield Guardian gains a +1 bonus to attack rolls per kobold ally adjacent to the target.
Shieldbearer
Allies adjacent to the bodyguard gain a +2 power bonus to
Indomitable Presence
Every time a Dragonshield Guardian attacks an enemy, whether the
attack hits or misses, it marks that target. The mark lasts
until the end of the Dragonshield’s next turn. When a target
is marked, it takes a –2 penalty to attack rolls if the attack
doesn’t include the Dragonshield as a target. A creature
can be subject to only one mark at a time. A new mark
supersedes a mark that was already in place.
In addition, whenever a marked enemy that is
adjacent to the Dragonshield shifts or makes an attack that
does not include the bodyguard, the Dragonshield can make
a basic melee attack against that enemy as an immediate interrupt
Trap Sense
The kobold gains a +2 bonus to all defenses against traps

Alignment: evil Languages: draconic, common
Skills: acrobatics +5, stealth +7, thievery +7
STR 14 (+3) DEX 13 (+2) WIS 12 (+2)
CON 12 (+2) INT 9 (+0) CHA 10 (+1)

Juvenile Flame Spitting Drake Level 1 Elite Artillery
Medium natural magical beast (reptile)(elemental) XP 200

Initiative: +5 Senses: perception +3
HP 48; bloodied 24
AC 16 Fort 14 Reflex 16 Will 12
Action Point 1, Saves +2
Resist 10 acid; 5 fire
Speed 7
Bite (standard; at-will)
+4 vs AC; 1d6+1 damage
Caustic Spit (standard, at-will) * acid
Ranged 10; +6 vs Reflex; 1d10+3 acid damage
Born of Fire
The Fire Spitting Drake can convert any attack power it has
to fire. Change a power’s energy keyword to fire, or add
fire energy to an attack power that doesn’t normally deal
energy damage.
Hot Body
Any creature that hits the scion of flame with a melee
attack takes 2 fire damage.

Alignment: unaligned Languages: ---
STR 14 (+3) DEX 18 (+5) WIS 14 (+3)
CON 14 (+3) INT 3 (-3) CHA 12 (+2)

some notes about the encounter design

The Wounded Goblin Warrior is the same as a regular Goblin Warrior with the following exceptions: HP 10; AC 16; Fortitude 10; Reflex 12; Will 10; XP special

The Electrified Door: Anyone touching the electrified door while it is active risks being shocked. The DM should be sure to give obvious hints that something is wrong with the door such as describing an "electrical buzz" coming from the door. +6 vs Fortitude; 4d4 damage on a hit; half damage on a miss. The door is opened by turning a large wheel which is centered on the door. XP special

Encounter Level 2 - Total XP 625

2 Kobold Minions, Level 1 Minions - XP 50
Juvenile Fire Spitting Drake, Level 1 Elite - XP 200
Dragonshield Guardian, Level 2 Elite - XP 250
2 Goblin Cutters, Level 1 Minions - XP 50
Wounded Goblin Warrior, Level 1 Soldier (modified) - XP special
Electrified Door, obstacle/terrain feature - XP special

possible Goblin Negotiation Skill Challenge

Possible Goblin Skill Challenge

Setup: For the Goblins to provide assistance, the PCs
need to be able to speak and understand the Goblin language. The PCs may be able to convince the Goblins to assist the PCs in fighting the Kobolds.

Complexity 1: 4 successes before 2 failures

Primary Skills: Bluff, Diplomacy, Insight.
Bluff (DC 20): You try to encourage the Goblins
to aid your quest using false pretenses.
Diplomacy (DC 15): You entreat the NPC for
aid in your quest.
Insight (DC 10)(can only be used once in this encounter): You empathize with the
Goblin and use that knowledge to encourage assistance.
First success with this skill reveals that the goblins are currently on edge due to their captivity at the hands of the kobolds. Any use of the
Intimidate skill will provoke combat.
Success: The Goblins will follow the PCs into other areas of the complex and aid in fighting the kobolds. However, if at any time an attack from the PCs causes damage to one of the goblins they immediately become hostile...even in the midst of a fight.
Failure: The DM should feel free to determine the exact details of failure in this situation. The Goblins may have some sort of information that they offer the PCs, but beyond that they refuse to help. Depending on how badly the PCs fail, failure may provoke combat.

Regardless of how the Goblins are dealt with, they (along with the door) are worth the rest of the XP for the encounter. I realize that this is somewhat ad hoc, but I had a few reasons for diverging from the normal experience amounts. The door is similar to a trap, but it is exceedingly easy to avoid, and clues as to the nature of it should be fairly obvious; also, the way to "disarm" it is extremely easy. The door is also just as much of a hazard to the enemy as it is the PCs. As for the Goblins, a skill challenge would normally yield more XP; however, this particular challenge has rewards which go beyond XP. The goblins could possibly make other encounters in the complex easier. The DM should feel free to have the goblins die via making stupid decisions if they start to make things easier than desired.

This is the third encounter. This encounter may possibly be totally avoided if the PCs do not go the way which leads to it.
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
 The Best in Gaming!
Um...why exactly are you reposting everything on the thread so far?
Um...why exactly are you reposting everything on the thread so far?

My original intent was to collect everything together so that someone could easily see what was already done and then contribute. However, the multi-quote feature wasn't working right, and I couldn't put everything into the same post like I wanted to.
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
 The Best in Gaming!
love what everyone has done so far!

if no one posts an encounter between today/tomorrow, i'll come up with nr 4

regarding mapping, i just used MS Excel... i make all the cell squares, and color the dungeon tiles...

keep up the good work!

My RPG Campaigns

if it's ok for you, I can map in excel also your rooms, and attach them to mine, so we have an idea of the whole picture.

My RPG Campaigns

if it's ok for you, I can map in excel also your rooms, and attach them to mine, so we have an idea of the whole picture.

Please do that!

I have some ideas for other rooms, but I've been waiting for other people to post. Regardless of whether or not that happens, expect another post from me in the next 24 hours.
The only thing I was unsure of was which door you picked from the main room to connect your hallway to. The way I have it oriented would be as if it were connected to the North door; the one which was straight across from the door through which the PCs first entered the complex.

I'll connect this on the EAST side, just because the North is supposed to be the Entrance to the Dungeon, so it gives to the "outside"

My RPG Campaigns

THIS is what we got so far

let me know if i understood wrongly

My RPG Campaigns

THIS is what we got so far

let me know if i understood wrongly

That seems pretty accurate from what I can tell.

In the area of Encounter 2 there is a trap, and in the area for Encounter 3 I didn't envision there being a door at the bottom of the steps, but in hindsight it might actually make more sense for there to be a door there since there's a door at the top of the steps.

Also, aside from the Goblin cutters, there's also a wounded Goblin Warrior held prisoner in the area near Encounter 3, but I think the map is close enough that someone reading the encounter and then looking at the map would understand everything.

Great job with the map; I'm actually a little excited that I can look at a visual representation of something that I helped to create.
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
 The Best in Gaming!
OK here's goes. Encounter 4. The Hall of Ages Exp 700

This connects to the South Door of the first room.

2 Kobold Dragonshields
2 Kobold Slingers (One slinger wears +1 Darkleaf Leather add +1AC to base stats)
6 Kobold Minions
2 Trapped Statues

Setup
This area serves as a barracks and trap room for the complex.

I have made a map here:
IMAGE(http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7163/statueroom2ux3.th.jpg)

Opening the big stone double doors, you find yourselves in a long hallway leading up to a massive stone door of dwarvish make. Lining the corridor are statues of proud dwarven warriors on marble bases.

Features of the Area:
Statues - they grant cover

The first two statues are traps. The kobolds have sawed away at the base so that a good shove will topple them over onto an adjacent sqaure. +4 vs. Reflex; 1d8 damage." The square where the statue lands becomes difficult terrain from rubble.

Tactics:
Alerted by the kobolds in the entrance chamber, the Dragonshields and Slingers are hidden behind their statues. If not discovered, the Dragonshields push the statues on to the rearmost party members to block their escape. If spotted by the party, they drop them onto the nearest party members.

Either way, the Dragonshields shift out of the center corridor to the sides and minions rush forward down the sides to swarm around the PCs with the Dragonshields as a lynchpin. The slingers shift in and out of the statues to take potshots where they can and then duck back behind cover.

Treasure: +1 Darkleaf Leather on Kobold Slinger.

Massive door - These are locked and enspelled to open only when the proper dwarven prayers are said over it. The door is a level one skill challenge. 4 Successes are needs before 3 failures. One success must be Thievery DC 15 and one must be Religion DC 15. Attempts to force the door net an automatic failure. Success opens the door; failure causes a deep alarm bell to sound out which alerts every monster in the complex.
Delazar- That's awesome! There are some minor omissions, but Johnny already addressed them all.

RichD- I really like your encounter (the statue pushing is very creative), but there are a couple of problems with it. For one, why is it worth 700 XP? That doesn't follow the encounter pattern we've been told to adhere to, and just makes it harder for other people who post after you. It should either be 500 XP (level one encounter), 625 (level two encounter), or 750 (level three encounter). Also, what is "test +4; failure inflicts 1d10 damage?" Do you mean the kobolds make an attack roll with a +4 attack bonus? And why do you need Thievery AND Religion to open the door? Do you have to pray over it as well as pick the lock? Also, is this a skill challenge?
Add two more minions then for an even 750. I did not catch that we were being so exact about the math.

As for the statue I mean what is written, roll a D20 add 4 and compare to the Reflex value. The stats for the statues are simply the pit trap redressed a little. I considered two falling statues to be the equivalent of one pit that could catch multiple people. I was uncertain how to price the toppling statues actually so I'm open to suggestions. Only the Dragonshields and Slingers are needed. We can add minions until we hit a magic number.

As for the door, I actually stated that it needed to be prayed over in my original description. Were I creating this dungeon all on my own, I would make the door a full Skill Challenge with failure meaning guardians on the far side of the door were activated. But since this is a group endeavor, I just made it an oddly locked door and the next person can play with it as they wish.

Does that clear everything up?
Add two more minions then for an even 750. I did not catch that we were being so exact about the math.

Well, the more we play with the numbers, the harder it will be to reach the even "10 encounters per level" spoken of in the OP. Granted, its not going to be perfect anyway (as some rooms in the same dungeon have different EL's), but it should still add up to 300 encounters in the end. If we don't stick to solid EL's, that will be much harder.

As for the statue I mean what is written, roll a D20 add 4 and compare to the Reflex value. The stats for the statues are simply the pit trap redressed a little. I considered two falling statues to be the equivalent of one pit that could catch multiple people. I was uncertain how to price the toppling statues actually so I'm open to suggestions.

First of all, rephrase their attack description as "+4 vs. Reflex; 1d10 damage." Second, considering that these are two, rather weak one-shot traps, maybe they should be considered "minion traps?" As in, each one adds 25 xp to the encounter? Maybe downgrade their damage to 1d8 to ensure that they aren't too powerful for their xp cost. So then:

6 kobold minions (150 xp)
2 kobold slingers (200 xp)
2 kobold dragonshields (250 xp)
2 trapped statues (50 xp)

Total of 650 XP. Now, check this part out:

As for the door, I actually stated that it needed to be prayed over in my original description. Were I creating this dungeon all on my own, I would make the door a full Skill Challenge.

Make the door a level one, complexity one skill challenge, adding 100 XP to the encounter. BAM! TOTAL OF 750! A perfect third level encounter incorporating both combat and skill elements.
So let it be written, so let it be done!
So let it be written, so let it be done!

Glad you like my suggestion. Go ahead and edit.

I'll be posting my next room quite soon.
This room is behind the unguarded side door in Area 2.

Room 05; level 1 encounter (500 XP)

Young Cave Bear x1
Portcullis x1

Setup

A bear was living in part of the ruins when the kobolds moved in. They captured the beast, and the kobold leader is in the process of researching a spell to bewitch it to be his obedient mount. For now, it is kept behind a sturdy barrier, and serves as a living trap for intruders.

As the adventurers enter this chamber, read: This is clearly a hallway, but most of it has been blocked off by a wooden portcullis. Lying on the floor is a crude winch, attaches to a rope that raises it. There are strange, wooden contraptions on the ceiling.

Features of the Area:

Size - the hall is two squares across and eight squares long.

Doors - the only door is the one the PC's come in through; the other end of the hall has long ago caved in.

Portcullis - Blocks off the hall 3 squares in.

Trap - Raising the portcullis triggers the trap (see below).

Tactics:

The bear is chained to one of the walls, and cannot leave the room. The kobolds give it drugged food before entering the hallway to make it temporarily docile when the leader wants to experiment with training it; otherwise, it will attack anyone who it sees once the portcullis is out of its way.

Bear
This cave bear is young and slightly malnourished, and is thus a bit weaker than normal. Apply one negative level to the statblock from the Monster Manual, making it a level 5 elite. I'll post the modified stats myself when I have time.

Because the bear is chained to the wall, it cannot go further than the entrance to the room.

Portcullis Trap
A DC 15 Perception check allows PC's to notice the slot under the portcullis, where the kobolds have been slipping food to the bear. A DC 20 Perception reveals that, if the portcullis is raised, a wooden bar will be lowered behind them, preventing the door to the hall from being opened while the portcullis is up.

Raising or lowering the portcullis (it locks when up, and thus requires some effort to lower as well) using the winch is a DC 15 strength check, and takes two standard actions in two consecutive rounds. If the door to the room is closed, it cannot be opened until the portcullis is lowered again. If it is left open, however, it remains passable. Unless the PC's SPECIFICALLY state that they leave the door open behind them, it can be assumed that they have closed it (this is typical dungeoneering procedure, as it makes you harder to track), and will thus be trapped inside with the bear until they can lower it again.

The portcullis and the barrier it lowers over the door each have 25 hp, are automatically hit by all attacks, and are vulnerable 5 to fire. If the PC's defeat this trap (either by leaving the door open and averting it, or by breaking through it) they earn 100 XP as if it were a skill challenge.

Note: this room does not contain any treasure. I think there should be several treasure parcels gathered together in either the kobold command center or the locked dwarven vault (possibly both) instead of spread throughout the dungeon. Makes more sense.
erased
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
 The Best in Gaming!
Huh, I was assuming that the north door of room one was the dungeon's entrance. We still have two other directions to expand in; the prayer-door (which probably leads to a vault that the kobolds haven't opened) and the junk-door (which obviously leads to the main kobold base). That's plenty to go on.

Anyway, since Johnny claimed the west door from room one and Rich claimed south, that means my rooms are connected to the east door (and yes, the bear room is behind the "unimportant" door in the junk room). Hope that helps.
Huh, I was assuming that the north door of room one was the dungeon's entrance. We still have two other directions to expand in; the prayer-door (which probably leads to a vault that the kobolds haven't opened) and the junk-door (which obviously leads to the main kobold base). That's plenty to go on.

Anyway, since Johnny claimed the west door from room one and Rich claimed south, that means my rooms are connected to the east door (and yes, the bear room is behind the "unimportant" door in the junk room). Hope that helps.

That's fine if it's that way. I don't think it's a big deal whether the PCs are going North or if they're going South. I was just trying to get my sense of direction as it relates to the complex.
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
 The Best in Gaming!

Room 6, Tomb of Lord Horian Thunderhammer the Tyrantfeller, Encounter Level 1 XP 500

Aspect of Horian, Level 3 Elite Soldier XP 300
2 Decrepit Dwarf Skeletons, Level 1 Minions, XP 25 each (50 Total)
Holy Hammer Trap, Level 3 Lurker, XP 150

Treasure Parcel 7: One healing potion and 70 GP and 20 SP
Treasure Parcel 5: Two healing potions and 100 GP

Room Description

Once you figure out the puzzle of the dwarven door, it slides open to reveal a magnificent site. Immediately inside; flanking the door which is the only entrance to the room are two clay statues of dwarven warriors. In the center of the room, you can see a huge and majestic statue of a dwarf warrior holding a warhammer. The worksmanship is so extravagent that you can't tell if it's stone or if it was carved out of a solid hunk of stainless steel somehow. The perimeter of the room is built at the same level as the room you came from, but the rest of the room is 1 square lower which puts you in mind of a shallow square bowl. There is water in the lower part of the room; not a lot of water, perhaps only three or four inches...just enough to cover the smooth stones of the floor; the shallow water is almost like a mirror. Upon further inspection of the statue you notice that the front of the statue is built in such a way that it connects to a sarcophagus at the base of the statue. Three containers of red liquid (healing potions) and four small leather bags (each containing 42 GP and 5 SP) are placed neatly on top of the sarcophagus almost as though it were a regal shelf of sorts.

room schematic

====DD====
>XXZXXZXX<
>XTTYYTTX<
>XTTYYTTX<
>XYYSSYYX<
>XYYSSYYX<
>XTTYYTTX<
>XTTYYTTX<
>XXXXXXXX<
==========

DD = door
=, <, or > = walls
X = empty non-water squares
T or Y = empty water squares
SS = statue/tomb/sarcophagus
ZZ = Decrepit Dwarf Skeletons

creature statistics and encounter info

This encounter is divided into a few "phases." Horian Thunderhammer's spirit defends this sacred place, but his power here is not what it was at one time; still, he is a mighty foe. Unlike most Elites, the Aspect of Horian actually is essentially 2 creatures. After destroying the first phase of Horian's form, the PCs must then face the second phase of Horian's form. The first phase is based on the Skeleton, and the second phase is based on the Phantom Warrior. Each phase has slightly different statistics; however, both phases share the same pool of encounter, utility, and daily powers; as such, if Horian's first phase uses his daily power, that daily power will not be available for Horian's second phase to use. Likewise, both phases share the same Action Point, so if Horian's first phase uses the Action Point then it will not be available for Horian's second phase to use.

Also, the Holy Hammer Trap is an extension of Horian's spirit; as such, it has phases as well. The initial phase is closer to what a trap in 4E normally looks like and is possibly triggered by the actions of the PCs. The phase of the trap which is active during Horian's first phase functions similar to a power that may be used by Horian. The final phase of the trap which is active during Horian's second phase again returns to being more similar to how a trap functions; in particular it somewhat resembles a pendulum scythe trap in this final phase.

Horian Thunderhammer

Level 3 Elite Soldier; 300 XP

Regardless of which phase Horian is in, his spirit cannot go beyond the border of the water; his life force is connected to this place. This is meant as a safety valve for the PCs; not as a way to easily kill the aspect by standing outside of the room and attacking him while he can't attack you. As such, if all members of the party go beyond the perimeter of the room after entering the room (this includes standing in the doorway,) they are shunted back into the other room and the door closes.

Remember, both phases of Horian share the same pool of encounter powers, daily powers, and action points.
Aspect of Horian Thunderhammer Phase I

Skeleton Paladin Level 3 Elite Soldier
Medium natural animate (undead)(dwarf)(augmented)
Initiative +6 Senses perception +3. ;low-light vision; darkvision
HP 37, Bloodied 18; see also Next Phase
AC 18, Fort 16, Reflex 17, Will 16
Action Point 1
Saves +5
Immune disease, poison Resist 5 necrotic; Resist 5 radiant
Speed 5
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Next Phase (free action; When Aspect of Horian Thunderhammer Phase I is destroyed)
Aspect of Horian Thunderhammer Phase II appears and rolls into initiative; the encounter continues. Also, Holy Hammer Phase I stops functioning; Holy Hammer Phase II activates.

[Basic Melee] Warhammer (standard; at-will) * weapon
+10 vs AC; 1d10+2 damage and the target is marked until the end of Horian's next turn; see also Speed of The Dead

Holy Strike (standard; at-will) * Divine; radiant; Weapon
+10 vs AC; 1d10+2 damage; if the target is marked by Horian, Horian deals 2 extra damage

Holy Hammer (minor; at-will, but only once per round)
Horian activates Holy Hammer Phase I and it attacks.

Righteous Smite (standard; encounter) * Divine; Healing; Weapon
+8 vs AC; 2d10 damage and you and each ally within 5 squares of you gain 7 temporary hit points.

Martyr’s Blessing (standard; daily) * Divine
Immediate Interrupt Close burst 1
Trigger: An adjacent ally is hit by a melee or a ranged attack
Effect: You are hit by the attack instead.

Radiant Delirium (standard; daily) * Divine; Implement; Radiant
You engulf your enemy in searing ribbons of radiance.
Ranged 5
Target: One creature
Attack: +8 vs Reflex
Hit: 3d8 radiant damage, and the target is dazed until the end of Horian's next turn. In addition, the target takes a –2 penalty to AC (save ends).
Miss: Half damage, and the target is dazed until the end of your next turn.

Divine Strength (minor, encounter) * Divine
Effect: +2 extra damage on your next attack this turn.

Lay on Hands (minor; at-will - special) * Divine; Healing
At-Will (Special) ✦ Divine, Healing
Special: You can use this power a number of times per day equal to your Wisdom modifier (2), but only once per round.
Effect: You spend a healing surge but regain no hit points. Instead, the target regains hit points as if it had spent a
healing surge. You must have at least one healing surge remaining to use this power.

Divine Challenge (minor; at-will; can't be used more than once per round) * Divine; Radiant
You boldly confront a nearby enemy, searing it with divine light if
Close burst 5
Target: One creature in burst
Effect: You mark the target. The target remains marked until you use this power against another target, or if you fail
to engage the target (see below). While a target is marked, it takes a –2 penalty to attack rolls for any attack that doesn’t include you as a target. Also, it takes 4 radiant damage the first time it makes an attack that doesn’t include
Horian as a target before the start of Horian's next turn. On Horian's turn he must engage the target he challeneged or challenge a new target. To engage the target, Horian must either attack it or end his turn adjacent to it. If none of these events occur by the end of your turn, the marked condition ends and Horian can’t use divine challenge on his next turn.

Speed of The Dead
When making an opportunity attack, the Horian gains a +2 bonus to the attack roll and deals an extra 1d6 damage.

Stand Your Ground
When an effect forces a dwarf to move—through a pull, a push, or a slide—the dwarf moves 1 square less than the effect specifies. When an attack would knock the dwarf prone, the dwarf can roll a saving throw to avoid falling prone.

Alignment Unaligned Languages —
Str 15 (+3) Dex 17 (+4) Wis 14 (+3)
Con 13 (+2) Int 3 (–3) Cha 10 (+1)
Equipment chainmail, heavy shield, warhammer

Aspect of Horian Thunderhammer Phase II

Phantom Warrior Paladin Level 3 Elite Soldier
Medium shadow humanoid (undead)(dwarf)(augmented)
Initiative +8 Senses perception +13;low-light vision; darkvision
HP 37, Bloodied 18
AC 17, Fort 16, Reflex 15, Will 16
Action Point 1
Saves +5
Immune disease, poison Resist insubstantial
Speed 5; fly 5 (hover)
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
[Basic Melee] Phantom Warhammer (standard; at-will) * weapon
+10 vs AC; 1d10+2 radiant damage and the target is marked until the end of Horian's next turn.

Holy Strike (standard; at-will) * Divine; radiant; Weapon
+10 vs AC; 1d10+2 damage; if the target is marked by Horian, Horian deals 2 extra damage

Righteous Smite (standard; encounter) * Divine; Healing; Weapon
+10 vs AC; 2d10 damage and you and each ally within 5 squares of you gain 5 temporary hit points.

Martyr’s Blessing (standard; daily) * Divine
Immediate Interrupt Close burst 1
Trigger: An adjacent ally is hit by a melee or a ranged attack
Effect: You are hit by the attack instead.

Radiant Delirium (standard; daily) * Divine; Implement; Radiant
You engulf your enemy in searing ribbons of radiance.
Ranged 5
Attack: +10 vs Reflex
Hit: 3d8 radiant damage, and the target is dazed until the end of Horian's next turn. In addition, the target takes a –2 penalty to AC (save ends).
Miss: Half damage, and the target is dazed until the end of your next turn.

Divine Strength (minor, encounter) * Divine
Effect: +2 extra damage on your next attack this turn.

Divine Challenge (minor; at-will; can't be used more than once per round) * Divine; Radiant
You boldly confront a nearby enemy, searing it with divine light if
Close burst 5
Target: One creature in burst
Effect: You mark the target. The target remains marked until you use this power against another target, or if you fail
to engage the target (see below). While a target is marked, it takes a –2 penalty to attack rolls for any attack that doesn’t include you as a target. Also, it takes 5 radiant damage the first time it makes an attack that doesn’t include
Horian as a target before the start of Horian's next turn. On Horian's turn he must engage the target he challeneged or challenge a new target. To engage the target, Horian must either attack it or end his turn adjacent to it. If none of these events occur by the end of your turn, the marked condition ends and Horian can’t use divine challenge on his next turn.

Stand Your Ground
When an effect forces a dwarf to move—through a pull, a push, or a slide—the dwarf moves 1 square less than the effect specifies. When an attack would knock the dwarf prone, the dwarf can roll a saving throw to avoid falling prone.

Alignment Good Languages Dwarven
Str 14 (+3) Dex 12 (+2) Wis 11 (+1)
Con 12 (+1) Int 10 (+1) Cha 14 (+3)

Decrepit Dwarf Skeletons

Decrepit Skeleton Level 1 Minion
Medium natural animate (undead)(dwarf) XP 25
Initiative +3 Senses Perception +2; darkvision
HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion.
AC 16; Fortitude 13, Refl ex 14, Will 13
Immune disease, poison
Speed 5
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mLongsword (standard; at-will) ✦ Weapon
+6 vs. AC; 5 damage.

rShortbow (standard; at-will) ✦ Weapon
Ranged 15/30; +6 vs. AC; 3 damage.

Stand Your Ground
When an eff ect forces a dwarf to move—through a pull, a push, or
a slide—the dwarf moves 1 square less than the eff ect specifi es.
When an attack would knock the dwarf prone, the dwarf can roll
a saving throw to avoid falling prone.
Alignment Unaligned Languages —
Str 15 (+2) Dex 17 (+3) Wis 14 (+2)
Con 13 (+1) Int 3 (–4) Cha 3 (–4)
Equipment heavy shield, warhammer, shortbow, quiver of 10 arrows

Holy Hammer Trap

Holy Hammer Trap, Level 3 Lurker, XP 150

Regardless of which phase the trap is in, there are certain aspects of the trap which never change.

1) The trap can't target dwarves.
2) The trap gets a +2 bonus on attack rolls against Giants.
3) The trap gets a +2 bonus on damage rolls against evil creatures. This rule also supercedes the first rule; the trap can target evil dwarves.

I apologize if this seems a bit complicated. It was a little hard to explain what I meant by certain things while using such a low-tech map of the room.

Holy Hammer Trap, Initial Phase

A DC 16 Insight check gives a character the gut feeling that this room is some sort of important religious and/or historical site. In particular, your gut instinct tells you that stealing from this room or vandalizing the statue in the center of the room may lead to danger.

Holy Hammer Trap, Level 3 Lurker

A loud crack like thunder fills the air, and a huge ghostly hammer shimmering with an almost divine light appears seemingly out of thing air. The hammer drives downward, attempting to squash you like a bug.

Any of the following actions will trigger the trap: Attempting to take any of the items near the statue, an evil creature touching the water which lines the center floor, attacking the stature, and/or opening or attempting to open the sarcophagus.

Once the trap has been activated, a DC 14 Insight gives you the feeling that something bad is about to happen. If you do not beat the Insight DC the Holy Hammer has combat advantage against you for this attack.

Target: The four squares directly in front of the statue/sarcophagus area. (marked with Ys on my schematic)
+4 vs Reflex; 1d4 radiant and thunder damage and the target(s) is(are) dazed (save ends.) Once this trap is activated; regardless of whether it hits or misses, the two dwarven statues near the entrance door shatter to reveal two Decrepit Dwarf Skeletons and the trap shifts into Phase I. Aspect of Horian Phase I is in the sarcophagus, so depending upon how the encounter was initiated the DM may have the Aspect enter the encounter in different ways (i.e. attacking whomever opened the sarcophagus, opening and crawling out of the sarcophagus.)

Holy Hammer Trap Phase I

In this phase the trap is activated by the will of Horian's spirit. The Aspect of Horian Phase I can take a minor action on his turn to activate the trap. During this phase the floor underneath the water starts to glow with a strange ghostly light.

Target: The trap randomly targets one of the eight 2 by 2 square sections of the water covered area of the floor (marked by the Ys and Ts on my schematic.)

Targets: All creatures within the four square target area.
+4 vs Reflex; 1d10 Radiant and Thunder damage and slide 1 square.

This phase of the trap deactivates when Aspect of Horian Phase I is destroyed. At this point, the second phase of the trap activates.

Holy Hammer Trap Phase II

In this phase the trap functions more like a typical 4E D&D trap. The trap's initiative is whatever the initiative roll for Aspect of Horian Phase I was. In this phase the trap targets the perimeter of the room. If you look at the floor plan you will notice that the perimeter of the room is 8 squares by 8 squares. Now imagine that you cut the room into fourths; you can see that there are eight 4 square by 1 square sections of the perimeter (there will be a little bit of overlap.) During this phase the trap randomly targets on of those eight section. During this phase of the trap the floor of the room's perimeter starts to glow with a strange ghostly light.

Target: All creatures within the 4 square target area.
+4 vs Reflex; 1d10 Radiant and Thunder damage and slide 3 squares along the perimeter.

(added from my later post)
Yeah, it is a little complicated, and I apologize for that, but I had a concept in my head that seemed interesting, so I wanted to go with it. I'll try to give a brief summary of the 'phases' of the encounter here.

1) Initial Phase
The Initial Phase of the Holy Hammer trap is set off; initiative starts. The trap targets the 2 square by 2 square section (4 squares total) which is directly in front of the stature (between the statue and the door.) FYI: The reason I used Insight as opposed to Perception for the trap is because as a spiritual trap it seemed as though it would make sense to have it interact with Insight and intuition rather than Perception and more traditional outward senses such as sight.

2) Phase I
During this Phase the skeletal remains (Aspect of Horian Phase I) of Horian rise from the sarcophagus. The two clay statues near the entrance crumble away to reveal two Decrepit Dwarven Skeletons. The first phase of the Holy Hammer Trap is also active during this phase. The trap can be activated each round on Horian's turn if he uses a minor action to activate it; it randomly attacks one of the eight 2 by 2 (4 square) sections of the water covered floor. There is a section to the front of the statue, to the back of the statue, to each of the the sides, and to each of the corners. The watery area glows with a strange ghostly light during this phase which is meant as a subtle hint to tell the players where the trap is able to target.

3) Phase II
During this phase Horian's spirit takes on a more spiritual form (Aspect of Horian Phase II.) Horian's second phase rolls into initiative; the Holy Hammer trap continues to function on the same initiative that Horian's first phase had. The two Decrepit Skeletons may possibly still be active if they've survived this long (which is possible since Horian has a few abilities which grant temp HP.) Holy Hammer Phase II is active during this phase; during this phase it can target one of the eight 4 by 1 (4 square) sections of the perimeter floor - there is some overlap between the side sections and the top/bottom sections. There are two top sections, two bottom sections, two left sections, and two right sections. The perimeter of the room glows with a strange ghostly light during this phase to serve as a subtle hint to show the players where the trap is able to target.
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
 The Best in Gaming!

well, the math in the original post was a general rule so that all of us would use the same amount of XP, and everyone would feel like they contributed the same.

btw, I believe there's nothing wrong in using a bit more (or less) XP to create your encounter, also to give the Dungeon a bit of variety.

If everyone agrees, next level we can work with a TOTAL LEVEL XP BUDGET.

For example, if a level 2 group of 5 PCs needs 10000 xp to pass a the level (don't have my books with me, correct me if I'm wrong), each of us uses a part of it (10%, 15%, 20%) to create his encounter, and notes it on top of his encounter.

True, most probably we won't have 10 encounters per level, but the core of this initiative is to create a campaign that spans from lvl 1 to 30... if we got 260 encounter instead of 300, i think we shouldn't be too unhappy ^^.

That said, maybe we can already start to think about a bit of a plot, just to give us some direction.

It doesn't need to be already an over-arching plot for all the 30 levels, but when you design your encounter, think a bit about what the guy before you did, and try to inspire the guy after you.

hoping all this makes sense, i salute you

My RPG Campaigns

Huh, I was assuming that the north door of room one was the dungeon's entrance.

Correct. I think i even wrote "Entrance to the Dungeon"?

For future reference, when somebody creates Encounter nr 1 of a level, he will indicate the "Entrance Point", and that opening must be left free, as it opens to the "outside".

Fine with all?

My RPG Campaigns