Telepath - Psionic Leader (4E Psionics Returns)

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
UPDATE: Well, another month goes by, and I finally show some progress. Today I'm placing an updated version of the Telepath (Beta) on the web for access, and updating the links in this post. Notes in a later post, as well as the Google Group, regarding the general updates (I didn't do a detailed list - sorry).

The updated document can be found here (this is a link).

----------------------------------

Hello all.

A while back, I began working on implementing psionics in 4th Edition. In hindsight, due to the amount of work required to create unique and balanced classes in this edition (as well as my timetable hitting the wall that is Law School), my initial goals were a bit foolhardy.

Still, they finally bare real, honest-to-goodness fruit!

Thus, I present my first "completed" class: The Telepath.

Feel free to read, download, use and play this class. I only ask that, if you do, you provide me with your thoughts and feedback on the class. If anyone has the time to playtest it, I would very much appreciate as much actual playtest-feedback as I can get.

You can access the PDF for the class (which also comes with handy features, like magic-item conversions to psionic implements, a skill, a few feats, and an epic destiny) by following this link (this entire paragraph is the link).

From the document:

Build Options: Cunning telepath, empathic telepath
Class Features: Empathic Word, Group Empathy, Telepathic Gift

Telepaths draw their power from an intense focus on the powers of the mind. They use their potent mental faculties to manipulate the minds of foes, bolter the minds of their allies, and wreak havoc with doubts and fear. While many telepaths use their power to provide aid to allies, some turn their minds to more destructive ends.

As a telepath, you possess an innate understanding of the way minds work – yours, your allies', and your foes'. With your knowledge of the mind, you shape the actions of friend and foe alike, sometimes providing guidance and subtle encouragement, and sometimes forcing your foes into situations they would have preferred to avoid. Many allies respect you for your ability to shift the burdensome emotions and sensations away from them, and onto your foes. No matter your specific action, however, you are a powerful agent of change.

With a faint glow of power behind your eyes, you gauge the situations around you. Will you be an instrument of growth and encouragement, or of fear and manipulation?

PS: And if anyone actually likes it, feel free to go tell Wizards of the Coast to hire me for their next handbook with psionics in it. I promise, I wouldn't mind.
:D
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
A Psion for Next (Playable Draft) A Barbarian for Next (Brainstorming Still)
Seems to be corrupted...
Seems to be corrupted...

Funny, I don't seem to be having any trouble with it (other than an apparent re-route by Google Groups). I'll have to try it out on a different computer in the morning.

Thanks for trying, anyways.
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
YAY! Shaper next, Shaper next!
YAY! Shaper next, Shaper next!

First: Did you successfully access the Telepath class? (I'm hoping using Google Groups works out for this.)

Second: Alright, shaper it is, though I make no promises of timeframe (law school and all). The good news is, I have most of the powers I want for shaper "mapped out" (listed but not written up) except for the utilities. The bad news is, Telepath took a month after it hit that point. Shaper should be a lot easier, though, because the "hard" powers (Astral Constructs) are already all done.
Feedback Disclaimer
Huzzah!
This is heartening. Very heartening! I admit, I'd all but given up seeing updates from you. That you did the Telepath first was very wise, too, since there are already versions of the striker and controller out there to occupy our minds until you can get done with your versions.

Thank you so much for your hard work. I really appreciate it!

EDIT: Wow, there's so much crunch on this that I'd damn near broke my teeth. Excellent job!
Thanks so much for this!
Now if we could get a telekinetist!!!

We'll keep you posted how this character is running in my game. He's running cleric with a multiclass feat and novice power of psionics.

Mahalo
I would like to see the Kineticist and the Wilder made as well as the shaper. I've never been a huge fan of the telepath or the shaper, but I'll take what I can get and you won't hear any complaints out of me.

I've chatted with my GM and told him about this. He's going to review it and hopefully let me play it after we finish Keep on the Shadowfell.

Will let you know how it goes and my thoughts on the class. So far it seems pretty sweet.
That you did the Telepath first was very wise, too, since there are already versions of the striker and controller out there to occupy our minds

What versions of "the striker and controller" are you referring to? Got links?

Thanks,
Necro
What versions of "the striker and controller" are you referring to? Got links?

Thanks,
Necro

At the time I was typing that, I was referring to Kobold Avenger's soulknife (link) and Gradine's psion (link).

Of course, GreatFrito has since finished the shaper (link), a controller that fits better into his psionic class suite than Gradine's psion does. In fact, there is a lot of overlap between GF's telepath and Gradine's psion. But, there you have it.
This is what I've waited for!
Really nice telepath and other psionic classes. Cant wait to read them all.
I'll check in later to give comments.
Howdy folks! Finals = Over (hopefully I passed - pray for me), so I'm taking a second look at this.

Given the plethora of playtest and previews of other official classes in the last month, I'm taking another look at the Telepath and the Shaper.

First off, some of the things I was worried about doing previously (Dominated status at lower levels) have been done (Bard Class?). So I'll probably go through the Telepath and adjust/replace powers... in a little bit.

Second, and more of a current concern, I've had this nagging feeling in the back of my mind that the Psionics power source needed something other than damage types (and emphasis on psychic-related options) to make it feel unique. I took another look at Psionic Focus, Combat Modes, and the Stance and Rage mechanics. So I'm considering something akin to the following mechanics (this is a really really first-draft rough sketch) for each of the classes. This is Telepath first.

New Power Type: Modes
New Keyword
Mode: Powers that focus your mind toward a specific goal, enhancing your psychic power. In addition, each mode power has an augment option. You can choose to end the mode as a free action when you manifest another psionic talent in order to gain the listed benefit. A mode power lasts until the end of the encounter, for 5 minutes, until you use another mode power, or until you use the mode's augment option.

(Note: The idea is sort of the reverse-Rage; A stance-like encounter-long effect that can be ended to enhance another talent's effectiveness. For the Telepath, this would be Leader- and Controller- (and Striker-)type things. For the other classes, they would be different things (which would allow me to make the Egoist's "challenge"-like ability a Mode for the class; or perhaps something related to having a mode active).

Telepath Class Features

Note: these would replace the Empath/Manipulator choice at first level, as well as most, if not all, of the aspects of powers that rely on that choice)

[deck=Manipulative Focus] Telepath Feature
You focus your mind, honing your control over the actions of others.
Encounter (Special)Mode, Psionic
Special: You can use this power a number of times per day equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum 1), but only once per encounter.
Minor Action -------Personal
Effect: Once per round, when a creature makes a basic attack as part of your power, the creature gains a power bonus to damage equal to your Intelligence modifier.
Augment: If the power grants a creature a basic attack, the creature gains a power bonus to attack and damage equal to your Intelligence modifier for that attack.[/deck]

Telepath Utility 2

[deck=Charming Focus] Telepath Utility 2
Your mental focus is alluring, even to your foes.
DailyMode, Psionic
Minor Action ------- Personal
Effect: When you pull, push or slide a target with a psionic talent, you can move the target 1 additional square.
Augment: If the power allows you to push, pull or slide the target, you move the target a number of additional squares equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum 1).[/deck]

[deck=Sympathetic Focus] Telepath Utility 2
You focus your mind, creating a supportive web among the minds of your allies.
DailyMode, Psionic
Minor Action Personal
Effect: At the start of your turn, if you are not bloodied, all bloodied allies within 5 squares gain temporary hit points equal to 1 + your Wisdom modifier. If you are bloodied, but at least one ally within 5 squares is not, you gain temporary hit points equal to 1 + your Wisdom modifier.
Augment: If the power grants healing or temporary hits points to an ally, you grant additional healing or temporary hit points equal to 2d4 + your Wisdom modifier.[/deck]

EDIT: Touching back on this, from a while ago:
Thanks so much for this!
Now if we could get a telekinetist!!!

Mahalo

As of right now, I'm considering adding the Telekinetic elements to this class. However, that's not the core crux of the class, so I'm thinking that I'll probably treat that element as a "supplemental" build (for my own "Psionic Power" if you will), once I get the other core classes hammered out (and down).
Feedback Disclaimer
Wow, I hadn't thought of using psionic modes in such a way. Then again, that also explains why you're designing the classes and I'm leeching them for my personal campaigns. ;)

I especially like the though you put into the Sympathetic Focus draft. That's an example of how a game designer should think outside the box.

Right now, I really have nothing bad to say about the drafts... I'm really bad at coming up with "this needs improving" comments, thanks to my psychological limitations... so I'll leave that to others. But I think you really have something here.
Just curious if there's a status update on your work, GF. :P
Just curious if there's a status update on your work, GF. :P

Just a minor update: I have a re-worked version of the Telepath nearly ready to go. Need to clean up the formatting, and put it into a PDF, then I'll re-post it.

Some existing powers were re-worked, though some were removed or replaced ("telekinesis" powers are, unfortunately, out for the time being, but mostly because I want to put some extra effort into them later, and do them real justice - the prior version's powers will work just fine, for the time being). There are "new" powers to replace any that were removed, as well as a general readjustment, given the current information I have for the Bard preview (another example Leader class was helpful).

"Modes" have been implemented for this class (interested to see what people will think, once I put it up), replacing the selectable class features with selectable Modes (with multiple uses per day). As such, power references to build type have been eliminated - the builds should now focus around the selected psionic modes, and choosing powers that complement the modes available to the specific character.

Whew, that's more than I wanted to type. It's getting late, I guess.

Hopefully I'll have it up before this time tomorrow, for people to enjoy all weekend long, if they so choose. :D
Feedback Disclaimer
Here's a link (Linky!). Changes are mostly described above. As always, let me know if you try it out.
Feedback Disclaimer
A PC of mine is currently playing a gnome telepath named Spoopty "Braintickle" Dimindorf. Best. Character. Ever.

On a more mechanics side of it, I've heard no complaints and nothing has really raised a red flag in my mind. Keep at it, the classes are great.

By the way, we've got a human shaper as well. He seems to be enjoying it.
Homebrew classes: Guerrilla, Airbender, Earthbender, Firebender, and Waterbender. (PHASE 2 BEGINS! Tell us how we could make these classes better. The Shadow power source done right.
**Dale brings out a fork and a knife and starts pounding them on the table**

Egoist... Soulknife... Egoist... Soulknife... Egoist... Soulknife... Egoist... Soulknife...

Oh, and the modes-updated Shaper, too. :D
This is really nice, if I'm ever in another fourth edition game I'm going to try and use this..
We have one in our group an Eladrin Telepath/Mindbender. Yesterday was his first game, but we noticed that most of his attacks, being against will, made him only useful for the defender when he would use Empathic Strike on the Fire Archon Emberguards she was fighting. Once we were down to the Level 16 Controller Homebrew Frost Giant Runewizard and the Githzerai Mind Mage, he became the heal monkey.

But a fun class none the less. I'll let you know how he works in the next few battles.
[Why do I always miss the replies to my own threads? Yeesh, I'm bad at this...]

We have one in our group an Eladrin Telepath/Mindbender. Yesterday was his first game, but we noticed that most of his attacks, being against will, made him only useful for the defender when he would use Empathic Strike on the Fire Archon Emberguards she was fighting. Once we were down to the Level 16 Controller Homebrew Frost Giant Runewizard and the Githzerai Mind Mage, he became the heal monkey.

But a fun class none the less. I'll let you know how he works in the next few battles.

Hm, that's an interesting observation (well, I knew they targetted Will :P ). Would you say that the problem was along the lines of "Average against normal foes; Weak Against Strong Wills," or along the lines of "Strong against normal foes; Average Against Strong Wills"? Somewhere in-between?

And did you feel like it was more of a problem than the Fighter mostly targeting AC? If so, are there any powers that stand out to you as prime candidates to have their targeted defense changed to something else?
Feedback Disclaimer
Here's a link (Linky!). Changes are mostly described above. As always, let me know if you try it out.

The link takes me to a Google Groups page where I have to click on another link....then the next page won't load.

Anyone else having the same problem or is it just my evil Vista striking again?
The link takes me to a Google Groups page where I have to click on another link....then the next page won't load.

Anyone else having the same problem or is it just my evil Vista striking again?

Another person expressed the some problem some time ago, though others have gotten to it, and I don't seem to have any trouble loading it up (with Firefox), even when logged out of everything (though maybe it's in cache for me?). It's a PDF, so I don't know if that might matter. It's also nearly 30 pages long (29), so maybe it's having problems because of size?

Dunno though. I'm not wholly familiar with the ins and outs of Google Groups.

**Dale brings out a fork and a knife and starts pounding them on the table**

Egoist... Soulknife... Egoist... Soulknife... Egoist... Soulknife... Egoist... Soulknife...

Oh, and the modes-updated Shaper, too. :D

Working on the Souknife again (because I have a paper due - yes, I am an idiot) though Shaper Modes are also on the roster (essentially adding them as I can think of them; want to rework the Features too).

Soulknife Comments, Off-Topic

With the Soulknife, I wanted to implement Psychic Strike in relation to the psionic modes. It took a bit of brainstorming, but here's my current set of revised features to equal "Psychic Strike" (yes, two features).

Focused Blades
When your mind is focused, your mind blades become stronger. Some soulknives draw their power from their physical strength, while others draw it from their will.

Choose one of the following options.
[indent] Nomad Soulknife: When you have a mode active, you gain a bonus equal to your Wisdom modifier to one mind blade damage roll per round. You decide whether to apply the extra damage after making the damage roll. In addition, you can use the nomadic focus power to hone your control over time and space.

Vicious Soulknife: When you have a mode active, you gain a bonus equal to your Strength modifier to one mind blade damage roll per round. You decide whether to apply the extra damage after making the damage roll. In addition, you can use the punishing focus power to further brutalize your foes.[/indent]

Psychic Strike
You can channel your focused psychic energy into deadly strikes. Once per round, you can expend a psionic mode to deal extra damage with an attack. You decide whether to end the mode and apply the extra damage after making the damage roll for the attack. A mode expended in this way ends immediately, and cannot be used to augment another power. As you increase in level, your extra damage increases.

Level Psychic Strike Extra Damage*<br /> 1st - 10th +2d6<br /> 11th - 20th +3d6<br /> 21st - 30th +5d6

*: Note that I'm undecided whether the extra damage with be Psychic damage or not. I'm leaning toward "No," and keeping psychic-type damage out of the Soulknife.

[deck=Punishing Focus] Soulknife Feature
Your mental focus allows you to punish your foes for distraction.
Encounter (Special) ♦ Mode, Psionic
Special: You can use this power a number of times per day equal to your Strength modifier (minimum 1), but only once per encounter.
Minor Action ------- Personal
Effect: When you have combat advantage against a target, you gain an additional +1 bonus to attack rolls.
- - -
Augment: If you have combat advantage against the target and this power hits, the target is knocked prone in addition to any other effects.[/deck]

Feedback Disclaimer
Sign In to post comments