Wounds

1 post / 0 new
Like Calion, http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1088462 I'm somewhat disatisfied by the way healing works. He's not interested in wounds systems though, so I thought I'd start my own thread.

Basically, After my players defeat a BBEG in a knock-down, drag-out duel, I want them to feel it for a few days. I dont like the idea of just slowing hp recovery though, as that will just slow game play. So the goal is to come up with something that will let them feel it, but also be managable (to a certain extent.)

Anyway, this is what I have so far (much is borrowed directly from Earthdawn):

Extended rest change:

• At the end of an extended rest, you regain all your daily healing surges, then must spend as many are required to heal all current hp damage. This healing occurs during the course of the night’s sleep; you may not wake, and then apply special abilities or magical effects to augment this healing.

Wounds

While hit points represent a character’s ability to turn a deadly blow into a glancing strike, as well as luck, skill, and resolve, wounds represent the telling blows and lasting injuries sustained when luck and skill fail.
When you suffer damage from a single source equal to, or greater than your healing surge value, you take a wound.

• Wounds make it difficult to heal. When you are healed, subtract your current wounds from the amount healed (minimum 1).
• Adventurer’s are hardy, and can weather a single wound with no ill effect. The second, and each subsequent wound, imposes a cumulative -1 penalty to all roles (except saves).
• If you suffer wounds equal to your constitution score, you die.

Healing wounds

• You must have no current hit point damage to heal a wound.
• At the end of an extended rest you may spend one healing surge to heal one wound.
• Any effect that heals hit point damage without the expenditure of a healing surge may be used to heal one wound.

Overcoming wounds

Heroes must often press on in spite of wounds that would cripple lesser folk.
Once per encounter, you may spend a healing surge as a minor action to ignore all wound penalties until the end of your next turn.
Likewise, when you spend an action point, ignore all wound penalties until the end of your next turn.