H1-H3: Demon Prince of Undeath Conversion

983 posts / 0 new
Last post
I think it is excellent. Then we create a tie to H3 already in H1. I will put it in.
So yeah.. the LG aligned bahamut cleric in our party obtained the rod and returned it to marla.. I kinda saw that one coming but i guess unless i can find a way for the rod to escape on it's own.. it looks like it won't be a part of the story anymore. oh well... moving on to Thunderspire next wednesday, please stand by.
So yeah.. the LG aligned bahamut cleric in our party obtained the rod and returned it to marla.. I kinda saw that one coming but i guess unless i can find a way for the rod to escape on it's own.. it looks like it won't be a part of the story anymore. oh well... moving on to Thunderspire next wednesday, please stand by.

Let the cleric have a profetic dream that the rod is used to open a black gate into a wall of shadows, shaped like a large pyramid. That would probably change their minds.
For H1 when you first pick up the rod you might add this...

As you reach out and grasp the Rod of Ruin a flash appears before your eyes and you feel as though you are pulled away through time and space to an age long forgotten. The brightness clears as you are standing atop a precipice of a mountain, in full battle gear, the rod in your hand. You're commanding legions of demons and the undead as they march upon your enemies. Into the feywild they go, and you feel suddenly a slip of your power as one by one the army falls to the arrows of the fey. Each successful hit you feel as suddenly you begin to bleed from the mouth, choking on your own fluids and finally you fall, the rod falling from your grasp and slipping into the chasm. Your soul departs, ripped from your flesh by an unearthly power as you see your twisted tiefling form lying on the ground. You are placed at the apex of a pyramid and your powers are stripped from you as the force splits your being into two, and then again into four, your mind shattering under the weight of your own intellect and power as it is split and the pyramids power bears down on you. You awake laying in a pool of sweat back on the floor of shadowfell keep, the rod in your hand as you hear a whipser of a promise of power if only you keep it safe. The final words you hear before being able to get up is "seek karavakos".

what do you guys think?

I have added it to the last encounter in H1. However, I cut down some of the text which I intend to put in later in H2 instead. Foreshadowing works best if you don't give away to much at the start.

Show
PLEASE NOTE THERE ARE MAJOR SPOILERS IN HERE - DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT TO ENJOY PLAYING THE ADVENTURES
H1 Conversion Guide:
http://web.comhem.se/mwester/Shadowfell/Documents/H1-H3_Orcus_Conversion.pdf

H2 Conversion Guide:
http://web.comhem.se/mwester/Shadowfell/Documents/H2_Orcus_Conversion.pdf

I you want to read our game chronicles you may find them at:
http://web.comhem.se/mwester/Shadowfell/index.htm
Where in the sequence were you wanting to put this part? It doesn't seem like it fits in anywhere, unless somehow an object needed to get to Paldemar is located in this area. If it doesn't fit well into the story too well, it could always be used at the end to find a relic that Valthrun would like for the minor quest he provides.

On a side note, I've begun running this conversion for my group, and we've just gotten past the bar fight. They're about to encounter Brugg and his enforcers, and so far things have been going smoothly. I just hope by the time we get to the end of the module you'll have things figured out for the return of Kalarel as a lich, and the lead-up to Paldemar :D

I take your point and wait with this part as people may already have gotten deep into H2 and want to have the main thread well described, rather than this side track I have been looking at. So I will focus on making the main track ready before doing more on this side track.

My intention with this side track was to let the PCs learn more on the genocide of the minotaurs of Saruun. In the new Open Grave book they are introducing this Orb of Light which is aimed against Orcus (heroic level). My idea was that the minotaurs turned to the good gods to find a way to face Orcus, rather than Baphomet (find light to defeat the dark). They helped them create the Orb of Light to beat Orcus machinations. However, Baphomet learnt about their double betrayal and cursed them with rage that lead to the fall of their civilization. However, the PCs can learn about this secret weapon that was used in the last battle against the minotaur followers of Orcus and venture into the maze to find it.
I have put in this encounter to foreshadow the troubles happening in P2: Demon Queen’s Enclave. I called the encounter Drow Emissaries and can be found on page 23-24.

I have also added some more information about the minotaur high priest in Torog's Shrine, see page 17.

Some further visions invoked by the Rod of Ruin at entering the Sea of Shadows, see page 26 and 28.

I added some Umbral Taint effects to the Shadow Vortex encounter on page 35.

Show
PLEASE NOTE THERE ARE MAJOR SPOILERS IN HERE - DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT TO ENJOY PLAYING THE ADVENTURES
H1 Conversion Guide:

H2 Conversion Guide:

I have started to look at the Well of Demons section in H2. There is not much that needs to be changed. I have changed some of the background material and have added some more information to the Inner Sanctum part of it, see Page 46-47.

Show
H1 Conversion Guide:

H2 Conversion Guide:

SO... i'm an ass...

started H2 today... they went up there working for the blacksmith out of fallcrest since whatsisface from winterhaven is dead, so they went up there on the trade mission, saved Rendall, encountered the bar fight, and then they decided to spend the night and the next morning went into trade the cask. Well...so they failed their perception checks and brugg had them surrounded on the bridge. First round.. nat 20 initative for baddies. archers into the fray first, i rolled three hits and the wizard was out for the count. Then came the hellhound and brugg. the between those two they knocked out the cleric... at that point the finally surrendered but i had two party members knocked out before the party had a turn. Really? I don't suggest lowering the level for brugg but i had one helluva night with my dice.
SO... i'm an ass...

started H2 today... they went up there working for the blacksmith out of fallcrest since whatsisface from winterhaven is dead, so they went up there on the trade mission, saved Rendall, encountered the bar fight, and then they decided to spend the night and the next morning went into trade the cask. Well...so they failed their perception checks and brugg had them surrounded on the bridge. First round.. nat 20 initative for baddies. archers into the fray first, i rolled three hits and the wizard was out for the count. Then came the hellhound and brugg. the between those two they knocked out the cleric... at that point the finally surrendered but i had two party members knocked out before the party had a turn. Really? I don't suggest lowering the level for brugg but i had one helluva night with my dice.

That's why I never roll the same initiative for all my monsters. I'll have them rolled up beforehand so as to not take any more time than needed from the actual session. I also like that the group doesn't always go together.

My group didn't even fight them, though. I hyped up that Brugg was a badass and the Ordinator is not one to be messed with, so they went along willingly.
Those of you using this Conversion Guide, were are you actually in the timeline of H2 today?
Would be great to know in order to know were to put in design efforts.
Those of you using this Conversion Guide, were are you actually in the timeline of H2 today?
Would be great to know in order to know were to put in design efforts.

My group just finished up the Chamber of Eyes last night. Well, they haven't been in the main chamber yet, but all the fighting is mostly done. Haven't been to the Horned Hold yet, or any of the other parts you've introduced besides the original bar fight and Bruggs enforcers.
…Baphomet protect us! They are all dead! Saruun
Khel has fallen. Everyone is fighting each other. I have
never seen such rage, so much blood and gore. The
Horned King’s rage is undying. The labyrinth is filled
with blood and shadows! No on can survive this
carnage. Rage against shadow, steel against blood.
Only the dead will live to tell the story.

I have added some clues as to the fate of the minotaurs of Saruun on page 47. I have also done some modifications of Area 4, now called the Shrine of Undeath. You find it all on page 48. In order to fit well with the story I also had to change the location of Area 15 the Palace of Zamduul on the Thunderspire map on page 5 and 54.

Show
H1 Conversion Guide:

H2 Conversion Guide:

My group just finished up the Chamber of Eyes last night. Well, they haven't been in the main chamber yet, but all the fighting is mostly done. Haven't been to the Horned Hold yet, or any of the other parts you've introduced besides the original bar fight and Bruggs enforcers.

Did you use the modified Krand? If so - was he too powerful?
Did you use the modified Krand? If so - was he too powerful?

Yes, I did use the modified Krand. He definitely tore into the fighter, nearly knocking him out before he got away. However, the party has 6 members, and the Duergar were dead by the time he made it into the fight (they took the upper path in rather than going into the chamber). The warcaster was still alive, and made things rough, but was taken out shortly by a flaming sphere. Overall, I think he was a decent challenge, as the fighter was the only one to take noticeable damage from him, but with 6 PCs fighting him, he didn't get to live more than 3 rounds from what I recall.
They will be just entering the chamber of eyes next Wednesday evening.
Guys,

I almost never post on these forums, but I do lurk around here a lot.

Well, this one got me out of the cave. This is just AMAZING!

Three years ago I moved from my hometown and away from my fifteen-year-old gaming group. I´ve been on a "RPG draught" all this time. Recently, I joined a friend from my old group and we decided to start gaming again, only this time we would do it online (using Map Tools - awesome tool, by the way). I bought the 4e book and I bought the adventures. The only thing that annoyed me was that I love epic campaigns and the aventures were barely linked at all. One day, I came here to lurk as always and - Alas! - I saw this post!

Myrhdraak, your work is phenomenal. It is exactly what I planned to do, only... I don´t have to! You already did all the hard work.

Seriouly, dude. Wizards SHOULD hire you off the bat.

Sorry for the long and useless post, but I just had to express my gratitude. Thanks a lot for all this and keep up the great work.

All the best,
The Antra
Just wanted to add my two cents worth: You kick butt! This is a phenomenal resource. I would have been impressed with this if it had been done by WotC, but considering it was done by a fan, in his spare time....I'm blown away.
Well done!
In the preview section released today, there is a bit about P3 Assault in Nightwyrm Fortress. It looks like there will be a Shadow Dragon in this module (also in the underdark) as well as some lore and tactics for them. You might find this information useful for liking modules, or for more things for the dragon you introduced.
Recently, I joined a friend from my old group and we decided to start gaming again, only this time we would do it online (using Map Tools - awesome tool, by the way).

Hi Antra, glad you are enjoying it. We are also playing the H-series online with my old gaming group. Where can I find this Map Tool you are mentioning. Is it a free software? Is there any joint die roller included so that everybody can see what you roll?
Hey, Myrhdraak!

Yes, it´s free, and it´s great!

You can find all the information and the download links here: http://rptools.net/

Hope you like it too!

BTW, if you like the software, I also found some great "top down view" tokens for free download. They work great with Map Tools!

Keep up the great work!

And, Glacier123, I also saw the preview you mentioned about Nightwyrm Fortress. Too bad there´s still too little information on what´s it all about. I sincerely hope the last of the E series links everything up.

All the best,
Marcio (aka The Antra)
In the preview section released today, there is a bit about P3 Assault in Nightwyrm Fortress. It looks like there will be a Shadow Dragon in this module (also in the underdark) as well as some lore and tactics for them. You might find this information useful for liking modules, or for more things for the dragon you introduced.

Yes I saw that one. My initial thought was just to tie together H1 to H3, but as WotC seem to get Orcus back on track this might actually become a long epic adventure after all!
Hey, Myrhdraak!

Yes, it´s free, and it´s great!

You can find all the information and the download links here: http://rptools.net/

Hope you like it too!

BTW, if you like the software, I also found some great "top down view" tokens for free download. They work great with Map Tools!

Keep up the great work!

And, Glacier123, I also saw the preview you mentioned about Nightwyrm Fortress. Too bad there´s still too little information on what´s it all about. I sincerely hope the last of the E series links everything up.

All the best,
Marcio (aka The Antra)

This is really great! Exactly what I have been looking for. Gone start using it next time we play. I have been sitting uploading every map update through FTP this last half year - this is going to make our battles so much faster!
I decided to not only redo the Vecna skill challenge in A2-2. Vecna might be ok with granting the PCs access. Orcus would not appreciate their intrusion and meddling in his schemes. Instead he sends back Kalarel as a shadow lich to put an end to the PCs interference! (See page 49-50) I have not updated the map yet.

Show
H1 Conversion Guide:

H2 Conversion Guide:

Thanks for the update, Myrhdraak!

I´m glad you liked Maptools. I´m about to start my campaign with it too, starting with Keep on the Shadowfell and following your version of the adventures.

By the way, the party who will be starting KOTSF is composed of a dwarven barbarian, a half-elf infernal warlock (posing as a wizard) and a human rogue (for now). I was thinking of tweaking some of the treasure in the adventure to fit the need of these characters (none of them, for instance, use heavy armor - and we got two suits in the adventure). Does anyone have any suggestions on cool armor for rogues or barbarians (specially barbarians)? I was thinking of Veteran´s Armor (Hide) for the barbarian, but I wanted something... with a little bit more flavour... Any ideas? :fight!:

Cheers,
The Antra
ok...just finished reading through the H1 conversion. Other than a need for some basic grammar editing it's excellent. I especially liked the way that the combats are set up. The opportunity to literally pull the rug out from under the bad guys is brilliant. Again, awesome work.
Now for the question. I notice that there are quite a few additional encounters, skill challenges ( oh, and the old sara, and disrupting the ritual challenges are brilliant as well) and increase in the level of a few of the encounters. My worry is that the characters are gonna be 5th level at least if they hit everything. I didn't sit down and do the math, but it seems like it's gonna be a lot of xp. Will this be a problem or does it work out? I'm assuming a typical 5 person party.
Characters will be quite a bit higher, its true blastin, however you can have them not run through certain things or just scale up future encounters if you like. That's what i'm doing at least.
ok...just finished reading through the H1 conversion. Other than a need for some basic grammar editing it's excellent. I especially liked the way that the combats are set up. The opportunity to literally pull the rug out from under the bad guys is brilliant. Again, awesome work.
Now for the question. I notice that there are quite a few additional encounters, skill challenges ( oh, and the old sara, and disrupting the ritual challenges are brilliant as well) and increase in the level of a few of the encounters. My worry is that the characters are gonna be 5th level at least if they hit everything. I didn't sit down and do the math, but it seems like it's gonna be a lot of xp. Will this be a problem or does it work out? I'm assuming a typical 5 person party.

I am actually playing it with only 4 characters which will make them a little stronger to compensate for not having 5 characters, but Lineov is right, you can always increase the level of some of the encounters. However, reading in the forums it seems that some of the encounters are quite a challenge (at least for new players), so it might not hurt to be a level or more ahead.
Kinda what I thought...I just didn't want to run into a problem of getting to H3 and the party is 15th level ;) If I get some time maybe I'll sit down and do the math.
ok....I sat down and did the math. All assumes a 5 person party.
If your party goes through the regular encounters written in the module(with the modifications from the conversion) they would gain 19,128 xp total. If they complete the as written quest xp rewards there is another 5,000 (assuming a 5 person party). This would be enought to put a 5 person party about 1/3 way into 4th level.
If your party does the quests as per the conversion instead, they still earn 5,000 xp, so no different there.
If they then did all of the optional encounters included in the conversion that would be another 4,875 xp total, which would put the characters into 5th level, assuming a 5 person split.
As for monitary rewards. If only doing the encounters and quests from the module they would gain about 4,069gp, 670sp, 3x potion of healing, and 11 magic items, plus 500gp from the quest rewards.
If they then did the additional encounters they would gain an additional 138gp, 303sp, an additional potion of healing, a ritual book of Comp languages, the cursed mirror and the Heroic tier artifact The Rod of Ruin. Doing the optional quests in the conversion instead of the ones in the module would gain another 1000gp (xp is the same but the conversion quests pay an additional 500gp). This also assumes the party is not selling mundane equipment/gear from the encounters.
So, not too far ahead of where the regular module would put you xp wise. By the DMG rewards per level chart the cash looks about right but the party would be 5 magic items short, which is perfect for adding in some items from the character's wish lists. This assumes we don't count the mirror or the Rod.
I'm not swearing the math is perfect, but it's close.
I haven't sat down and read the second module or the conversion yet so not sure how this will effect that. Once I do I'll try and do the same comparison.
These extra encounters actually work out well for me. When we started the original module, my group had 4 players. A 5th joined in during the Irontooth encounter. I then went on with the rest of the module as normal (before this conversion) where the party killed Kalarel and finished up. By this point, I had been reading the conversion, and added the extra flavor stuff that I could, but did not include any of the extra encounters.

Now, to start H2, we added a 6th player. Having these extra encounters gives me the flexibility of not having to beef up any of the encounters. Also, having the 6 players helps keep my group moving through more encounters without taking extended rests. Looking at the XP from the base module, plus what has been added so far, it looks like my group will be hitting level 7 just after getting into the T encounters, so it all evens out.

Also, I would suggest not using the items in the modules unless you really want to. I've replaced most of the items with things either on wish lists, or that I think will be more useful, trying to replace armor with armor, weapon with weapon, etc. The only real exception would be the orb of indisputable gravity, as it is very necessary for the shadow vortex encounter to not be too difficult.
If your party goes through the regular encounters written in the module(with the modifications from the conversion) they would gain 19,128 xp total. If they complete the as written quest xp rewards there is another 5,000 (assuming a 5 person party). This would be enought to put a 5 person party about 1/3 way into 4th level.
If your party does the quests as per the conversion instead, they still earn 5,000 xp, so no different there.
If they then did all of the optional encounters included in the conversion that would be another 4,875 xp total, which would put the characters into 5th level, assuming a 5 person split.
As for monitary rewards. If only doing the encounters and quests from the module they would gain about 4,069gp, 670sp, 3x potion of healing, and 11 magic items, plus 500gp from the quest rewards.
If they then did the additional encounters they would gain an additional 138gp, 303sp, an additional potion of healing, a ritual book of Comp languages, the cursed mirror and the Heroic tier artifact The Rod of Ruin. Doing the optional quests in the conversion instead of the ones in the module would gain another 1000gp (xp is the same but the conversion quests pay an additional 500gp). This also assumes the party is not selling mundane equipment/gear from the encounters.
So, not too far ahead of where the regular module would put you xp wise. By the DMG rewards per level chart the cash looks about right but the party would be 5 magic items short, which is perfect for adding in some items from the character's wish lists. This assumes we don't count the mirror or the Rod.
I haven't sat down and read the second module or the conversion yet so not sure how this will effect that. Once I do I'll try and do the same comparison.

wow.. impressive work.. however, i wouldn't do that just yet with the 2nd module until Myrhdraak finishes his work
I have finally completed the map of the Shrine of Undeath. I took away all the teleporting that was more appropriate for Vecna than Orcus, and instead merged all the diffrent maps into one dungeon complex. You can find the whole map at page 65. Also added a battle map to page 50. I also added a secret escape tunnel for Paldemar, for those that like reoccuring villans.

Show
H1 Conversion Guide:

H2 Conversion Guide:

Thanks for the calculation. I have not checked the magic item distribution. By your calculation how much "money" (that should be turned into magic items) am I missing? Any suggestions on items?
I made some minor changes to the T1 encounter in order to work with the new map and concept. The addition of the Wall of Shadows can probably become an interesing part of the fight. See page 51-52

Show
H1 Conversion Guide:

H2 Conversion Guide:

Thanks for the calculation. I have not checked the magic item distribution. By your calculation how much "money" (that should be turned into magic items) am I missing? Any suggestions on items?

I think leaving the items as is works, as it allows the DM to add in some items personalized for their players. The money is about right on as well, and might be a little on the high side if the players are allowed to sell the regular gear. I think you hit the mark pretty well.
First of all Myrhdraak I wanted to thank you for all of your work. I have found your H1 suggests useful even though I have not chosen to do the full plot "conversion".

Would it be possible to provide a version that is more printer (and ink!) friendly? For example, the border across the top of each page is well done but significantly increases the ink per page.
I really like the Orcus statue and floor-work in the Shrine of Undeath. I've been making my own maps for this series using CC3/DD3, and it looks like you are using either that or Dundjinni. Could you tell me where you got the artwork for the statue and floor-work, or did you make those yourself?
I really like the Orcus statue and floor-work in the Shrine of Undeath. I've been making my own maps for this series using CC3/DD3, and it looks like you are using either that or Dundjinni. Could you tell me where you got the artwork for the statue and floor-work, or did you make those yourself?

The demon statue I found in the torrent file of pictures provided in the MapTools that The Antra tipped me about. A huge collection of great pictures, all in high resolution png format. As for the tool I use, it is standard Adobe Photoshop CS2.
First of all Myrhdraak I wanted to thank you for all of your work. I have found your H1 suggests useful even though I have not chosen to do the full plot "conversion".

Would it be possible to provide a version that is more printer (and ink!) friendly? For example, the border across the top of each page is well done but significantly increases the ink per page.

I will look into that and see what I can do.
As Orcus seems to be back in the plotline of P2 and P3, I decided to give a go at connecting H3 a little bit tighter with P1 in order to make it more a part of a big epic campaign centered around Orcus (running from level 1 to 30 hopefully).
Below you will find my fist go at it in the background section of the new H3: Demon Prince of Undeath Conversion
Any feedback or ideas as always appreciated.

Show
H1 Conversion Guide:

H2 Conversion Guide:

H3 Conversion Guide:
http://web.comhem.se/mwester/Shadowfell/Documents/H3_Orcus_Conversion.pdf