H1-H3: Demon Prince of Undeath Conversion

972 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi!

Myrhdraak,
you may want to check page 16 of your H1 Keep of the Shadowfell PDF conversion since there is either an omission or a formatting error in it (Ninaran encounter at bar/tavern).

Peter

I do not see any error. The Ninaran encounter starts on page 17 as well, so I do not know what error you are experiencing. Formatting? Black pages? Missing pages?

/Myrhdraak

H3: Format Update

I have now done the same format update of H3. The major change is that I have taken away the "old" monster statistics and replaced it with then new monster statistics. My guess is that nobody is using the old anyway. I have then added the general monster update for the module in the end of the conversion guide.     

Show
PLEASE NOTE THERE ARE MAJOR SPOILERS IN HERE - DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT TO ENJOY PLAYING THE ADVENTURES
Hi!

Myrhdraak,
you may want to check page 16 of your H1 Keep of the Shadowfell PDF conversion since there is either an omission or a formatting error in it (Ninaran encounter at bar/tavern).

Peter

I do not see any error. The Ninaran encounter starts on page 17 as well, so I do not know what error you are experiencing. Formatting? Black pages? Missing pages?

/Myrhdraak

Hi!

Here's a picture of what I mean.

Note the brown empty box and empty page space beneath. I downloaded it twice and get the same.

Peter

Page 16
What are you viewing the PDF on?  I've seen similar issues when viewing WotC PDFs on iOS devices.  Non-Adobe PDF readers (including the one built into iOS) are not perfect and that may be the issue.  The PDF looks fine to me when I view it on a PC using Adobe Reader.

P1: Format Update

I have now done the same format update of P1. The major change is that I have taken away the "old" monster statistics and replaced it with then new monster statistics. My guess is that nobody is using the old anyway. I have then added the general monster update for the module in the end of the conversion guide.     

Show
PLEASE NOTE THERE ARE MAJOR SPOILERS IN HERE - DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT TO ENJOY PLAYING THE ADVENTURES
Hi!

Having done some thorough investigating, I isolated the problem being the interference of a certain browser plug-in. Once corrected the document anomaly was rectified.

Thanks!

Peter

P2: Format Update

I have now done the same format update of P2. The major change is that I have taken away the "old" monster statistics and replaced it with then new monster statistics. My guess is that nobody is using the old anyway. I have then added the general monster update for the module in the end of the conversion guide.     

Show

P3: Encounter Removal and XP Analysis

I have removed the encounter Z2-Z3 from the Nightwyrm Fortress encounters [Page 76]. I have made changes to K7 and added a skill challenge ending tied to the Feria deva quest [Page 76-77]. I have also done XP analysis of P3 [PAge 92]. It resulted in that I had to modify the XP multiplication factor in H3, P1 and P2 as well, which has also been updated in those conversion guides.

Show

P3: Ebony Guard Showdown

I have started working on the G5 encounter with the ebony guard striking down on the adventurers. This time they have brought a shadow hulk to deal with the transgressors. [Page 46-47]     

Show

P3: Ebony Guard Showdown Maps

I have added a map to the battle, reusing the map that came with The Shadowfell box. [Page 47 and 103]     

Show

P3: Ebony Guard Showdown text 
I have added all the encounter description. I believe this is the last encounter, so now its just some material to tie together the flow in a nice way that is needed.
P3 is finally coming to an end, which feels good. It became much bigger than I first anticipated. But in the end I think it became quite good adventure, with a lot of interesting roleplaying possibilities and interesting information for the players about the Raven Queen which they will meet in E1.      

Show

Congrats for that Myrhdraak.

I'm not sure how you feel about this, but I think that it would be worthwhile to go back over some of those modules and recommend some of the base encounters to remove. Some of the combat encounters in H1-3 (and especially P3) add nothing to the module and can be safely removed.

For example, a few of the combat encounters in H1 can be easily removed: turn slime/cube into non-combat skill-challenge encounters; turn combat just in front of final showdown into roleplaying challenge, and remove one of the hobgoblin encounters,

In H2:- remove the refrectory encounter C3 (Chamber of Eye);
-turn W2 
Gnoll barracks (well of demons) into a roleplay challenge;
-turn 
side-trek 4 court of bones  into a roleplay challenge;
-turn 
H7 slave pits (horned halem)  into a roleplay challenge).

In addition I will probably turn about 80% of the core combat encounters into H3 into roleplay challenges. 

Recommendations like this would probably assist new GMs in particular. 

Congrats for that Myrhdraak.

I'm not sure how you feel about this, but I think that it would be worthwhile to go back over some of those modules and recommend some of the base encounters to remove. Some of the combat encounters in H1-3 (and especially P3) add nothing to the module and can be safely removed.

For example, a few of the combat encounters in H1 can be easily removed: turn slime/cube into non-combat skill-challenge encounters; turn combat just in front of final showdown into roleplaying challenge, and remove one of the hobgoblin encounters,

In H2:- remove the refrectory encounter C3 (Chamber of Eye);
-turn W2 
Gnoll barracks (well of demons) into a roleplay challenge;
-turn 
side-trek 4 court of bones  into a roleplay challenge;
-turn 
H7 slave pits (horned halem)  into a roleplay challenge).

In addition I will probably turn about 80% of the core combat encounters into H3 into roleplay challenges. 

Recommendations like this would probably assist new GMs in particular. 

Nice idea. Could you write a proposal targetting other DMs playing these encounters, and then I could insert those into the conversion guide. It sounds like you have played the adventures so maybe you can give some advice to new DMs on how to turn them into a roleplaying encounter (based on how you did it). Send it to me and I will include it.
I can do this - I'm running H1-H2 online so its all saved (I previously provided a link in this thread). I will put some short notes together and post them up here. What format would suit you best - a google document link?
Hi!

Myrhdraak. As I go through the updated XP totals to update my Fantasy Grounds modules, I notice a possible calculation error in P1: King of the TrollHaunt Warrens, specifically the Drasyae's Escape Ecnounter.

It lists an Encounter level 12 at 3500xp's that includes:

Dresya Tlathlyn 700 XP
4 Eladrin Blackguards at 2800 XP (700 XP each x 4)
1 Eladrin Twilight Enforcer 700 XP

The total should be: 4200XP (700+2800+700=4200) not the 3500 listed.

The corrected XP total after the 20% should then be 3360 not 2800 as listed.

Let me know if this is correct or I missed something.

On a separate note I have been running your conversions for the last two years in two separate groups. One starting H3 Pyramid of Shadows, the other at P1 King of theTrollhaun Warrens.

Having run the adventures more than once as I cycle through the two groups I have seen the conversions in action and was wondering how would you like the feedback to be related to you. I have a lot of thoughts and experiences I'd like to share but would appreciate knowing what format such feedback would be easiest to you.

Thanks!

Primarch
I can do this - I'm running H1-H2 online so its all saved (I previously provided a link in this thread). I will put some short notes together and post them up here. What format would suit you best - a google document link?

That would work fine. I have it all in Word so it is just copy and paste for me.
Hi!

Myrhdraak. As I go through the updated XP totals to update my Fantasy Grounds modules, I notice a possible calculation error in P1: King of the TrollHaunt Warrens, specifically the Drasyae's Escape Ecnounter.

It lists an Encounter level 12 at 3500xp's that includes:

Dresya Tlathlyn 700 XP
4 Eladrin Blackguards at 2800 XP (700 XP each x 4)
1 Eladrin Twilight Enforcer 700 XP

The total should be: 4200XP (700+2800+700=4200) not the 3500 listed.

The corrected XP total after the 20% should then be 3360 not 2800 as listed.

Let me know if this is correct or I missed something.

On a separate note I have been running your conversions for the last two years in two separate groups. One starting H3 Pyramid of Shadows, the other at P1 King of theTrollhaun Warrens.

Having run the adventures more than once as I cycle through the two groups I have seen the conversions in action and was wondering how would you like the feedback to be related to you. I have a lot of thoughts and experiences I'd like to share but would appreciate knowing what format such feedback would be easiest to you.

Thanks!

Primarch

Yes, that was a fault. I have updated it. Thanks for spotting it.

If you could share you advice on how to run or adjust the adventure as Jacktannery pointed out, I was thinking on adding a "DM's Advice Appendix" in each adventure with general recommedations to other DM's how the adventure could be further improved. Either you write your proposed text in the message system of this site or share a link as Jacktennery suggest. What ever work best for you.
Here are my suggested changes to H1. docs.google.com/document/d/16urp_LtzjcL8...

I am recommending removing 2,500XP of combat encounters, which is exactly the amount of XP you added in, so a GM going with my recommendation will be giving out the correct amount of XP (no need to reduce by 10%).

EDIT: and now H2: docs.google.com/document/d/15OLQxS8DTQqk....
Here are my suggested changes to H1. docs.google.com/document/d/16urp_LtzjcL8...

I am recommending removing 2,500XP of combat encounters, which is exactly the amount of XP you added in, so a GM going with my recommendation will be giving out the correct amount of XP (no need to reduce by 10%).

H1: DM's Role-playing Advice 
I have added your suggestions for H1 into the document. However, I have some questions:
1. Who is Dave? How did he become a ghost? Why is he punished? What was his relation to Sir Keegan? It would be good if Dave fit in to the overall story, as well as provided a background as to his nature. And maybe a more knightly name than Dave?
2. The solo monster you provided feels like a boss encounter. I do not think an encounter with Dave should feel like a boss encounter, rather a quite simple fight (the boss monster you provide would fit better with Sir Keegan). Could you make him an Elite and then maybe add some ghostly armor minions that he animates?       

Show

P3: Story Elements
I have started tying together the story and encounter elements [Page 31-34]. Please note that the statblock for Isilus is not ready yet. What powers should a Visage Master have, that are new but still builds on the normal Visage? Any power suggestions?

Show
Myrhdraak, that's just how I ran him. I had developed a slightly different story for that part of the crypt as I ran it ; Dave was a guard that Sir Keegan had made guard the armoury as he hunted down and murdered his wife and children and the nanny in a rage (who then became the zombies). He had stuck to his orders and refused to help the women, so was cursed to become a deathknight for eternity.

I put Dave in my own game for some comic relief - I probably should have kept him 'straighter' for the notes I wrote you up.

The idea is that the PCs do not fight Dave, rather they engage him in a puzzle competion. My PCs, of course, decided to fight him anyway so on the spur of the moment I made him a lethal lvl 3 solo but kept engaging in the puzzle. On each of his combat rounds he asked a riddle, and the PCs eventually realised they should ask some back or they would get mashed. Once the PCs got his final riddle (I think it was round 4) he evaporated, finally released from his bonds, leaving only the magical metal armour. But the idea is to make this primarily a non-combat encounter. By making him a level 3 solo (in exactly the same as Sir Keegan is, another roleplaying encounter that PCs probably won't treat as a combat encounter) it encourages PCs to deal with him through words rather than the sword.  
Myrhdraak, that's just how I ran him. I had developed a slightly different story for that part of the crypt as I ran it ; Dave was a guard that Sir Keegan had made guard the armoury as he hunted down and murdered his wife and children and the nanny in a rage (who then became the zombies). He had stuck to his orders and refused to help the women, so was cursed to become a deathknight for eternity.

I put Dave in my own game for some comic relief - I probably should have kept him 'straighter' for the notes I wrote you up.

The idea is that the PCs do not fight Dave, rather they engage him in a puzzle competion. My PCs, of course, decided to fight him anyway so on the spur of the moment I made him a lethal lvl 3 solo but kept engaging in the puzzle. On each of his combat rounds he asked a riddle, and the PCs eventually realised they should ask some back or they would get mashed. Once the PCs got his final riddle (I think it was round 4) he evaporated, finally released from his bonds, leaving only the magical metal armour. But the idea is to make this primarily a non-combat encounter. By making him a level 3 solo (in exactly the same as Sir Keegan is, another roleplaying encounter that PCs probably won't treat as a combat encounter) it encourages PCs to deal with him through words rather than the sword.  

I have added your background on Dave and took the liberty to change his name. I also added some new statistics on the "ghost armor", which I think can be a challenging 500 XP encounter (without being a boss encounter). 

Show

I have added your suggestions under "DM's Roleplaying Advice" in the H2 Orcus Conversion Guide.

Thanks for your contribution.   

P3: Visage Master and Tenebrous Cabal
I have created the statistics for the Visage Master (based on a venom-maw hydra). I have also added some text for the Tenebrous Cabal interaction, where the adventurers recieves a pass to the Death's Masquerade.

Show
Glad to be of assistance Myrhdraak. H3 is the main one that needs fixing, however, as it will be unplayable in its current form for most groups (inlcuding my own). 

Bak to H2 for a moment, because my PCs are fighting a barbarian krand: on page 23 you write: 'I gave Krand a Barbarian Template (just loved to try that one out, see the House Rules section in the back), turning him into an elite opponent worth 400 XP' but there is no barbarian template in the back of the document, and Krand's statblock makes it very difficult to understand how the Rage is supposed to work - one of his standard actions allows him to enter the Rage, which in turn allows him to ignore OAs on a charge. Is that all?

Glad to be of assistance Myrhdraak. H3 is the main one that needs fixing, however, as it will be unplayable in its current form for most groups (inlcuding my own). 

Bak to H2 for a moment, because my PCs are fighting a barbarian krand: on page 23 you write: 'I gave Krand a Barbarian Template (just loved to try that one out, see the House Rules section in the back), turning him into an elite opponent worth 400 XP' but there is no barbarian template in the back of the document, and Krand's statblock makes it very difficult to understand how the Rage is supposed to work - one of his standard actions allows him to enter the Rage, which in turn allows him to ignore OAs on a charge. Is that all?

H2: Krand Update
Krand never lived up to my expectations when I played him myself. I have therefore made an update based on berserker barbarian in Heroes of the Feywild. I think it will be a more memorable Krand.

P3: Story Work
I have worked on adding to the story elements. I have updated the discussions with Devina and Cauldus, both of them providing minor quests to the adventurers during the Death's Masquerade [Page 56-57].
I have then added material for the characters following up on those quests [Page 37-38]
I also created a large version of the map for the Ebon Riders encounter [Page 111]

Show

P3: Darkwell
I wrote the encounter G12: The Darkwell, where the characters will meet Devina Umberfell. Hopefully, and most likely it turns into a discussion with Devina after some rounds of battle. Here the adventurers gets valuable clues down into the catacombs of Umberfell Manor as well as a portal straight to the Shadowheart under the Deathless Palace [Page 74-75]. I also made some modifications on the map provided in Dungeon 191 [Page 116], making it more shadowy. In the conversion maps pack you will find two version of the map, one with and one without statues. 

Show
Firstly I want to say that I am enjoying the conversions. I have downloaded them all a last year. I am trying to download the latest versions but adobe acrobat reader is crashing. I have tried to use chrome, firefox and ie. None have worked.
I was able to download H1 and the maps but the others I've tried H2, P1, Monster index have all crashed. They start downloading but then stall.
Any suggestions? Can you put them into a Dropbox shared folder? 
Firstly I want to say that I am enjoying the conversions. I have downloaded them all a last year. I am trying to download the latest versions but adobe acrobat reader is crashing. I have tried to use chrome, firefox and ie. None have worked.
I was able to download H1 and the maps but the others I've tried H2, P1, Monster index have all crashed. They start downloading but then stall.
Any suggestions? Can you put them into a Dropbox shared folder? 

Happy that you like them. The server stands in Sweden so depending on where you are in the world and your internet access, downloading them may take some time. If you try left-clicking them to open them directly in Adobe you are probably going to experience problem. Right-clicking and selecting "save target as..." is usually better as it gives you control over how the dowload is progressing.
If you still have problem, let me know.

/Myrhdraak   

Awesome. I did save link as, and it worked a treat. Thanks.
I plan to have Nightbringer (the evil intelligent longsword from P2) play a role in the destruction of the Soul Well. As Urishtar becomes more damaged the Soul Well will begin to expand out of her control, and with her death be completely unleashed. Nightbringer consumes the raging soul energy and immediately goes giant-primordial-cat-monster form, becoming a recurring villain for the majority of the Epic tier.

I've been looking over E1-3 for good places to substitute him in, and tweak the fights to allow his escape until the final confrontation. I want to put him somewhere in Death's Reach, with the idea that he's also seeking Timesus, to consume the nascent Primordial and regain even more of his lost power. Having him assaulting Doresain's palace at the same time as the party and appearing during encounter W4 would work (he wouldn't be the Death Knight's sword, he'd just reach the encounter when the undead becomes bloodied). I'm not sure where to use him in E3, but during the assault on the Abyssal Nadir would make sense, either racing the party to the bottom where he attempts to consume Timesus, or appearing partway through the fight, consuming Timesus, and becoming the actual boss of the Nadir (some kind of Timesus/Nightbringer hybrid).

Any of you folk have ideas or input on any of this? I'm specifically looking for good ideas about where to place him in E1, thoughts on my ideas for E3, and clever escape mechanisms for his appearances in E1&2. Any input at all would, of course, be welcomed and appreciated.
I plan to have Nightbringer (the evil intelligent longsword from P2) play a role in the destruction of the Soul Well. As Urishtar becomes more damaged the Soul Well will begin to expand out of her control, and with her death be completely unleashed. Nightbringer consumes the raging soul energy and immediately goes giant-primordial-cat-monster form, becoming a recurring villain for the majority of the Epic tier.

I've been looking over E1-3 for good places to substitute him in, and tweak the fights to allow his escape until the final confrontation. I want to put him somewhere in Death's Reach, with the idea that he's also seeking Timesus, to consume the nascent Primordial and regain even more of his lost power. Having him assaulting Doresain's palace at the same time as the party and appearing during encounter W4 would work (he wouldn't be the Death Knight's sword, he'd just reach the encounter when the undead becomes bloodied). I'm not sure where to use him in E3, but during the assault on the Abyssal Nadir would make sense, either racing the party to the bottom where he attempts to consume Timesus, or appearing partway through the fight, consuming Timesus, and becoming the actual boss of the Nadir (some kind of Timesus/Nightbringer hybrid).

Any of you folk have ideas or input on any of this? I'm specifically looking for good ideas about where to place him in E1, thoughts on my ideas for E3, and clever escape mechanisms for his appearances in E1&2. Any input at all would, of course, be welcomed and appreciated.

Sounds like a really cool idea. Let me chew on that one a bit.
Anyone know where I can get the maps for H1-H3 without any creature markings (example: A with a circle around it indicating starting position of monster)? I use a projector aiming down at our table to project our board. Don't feel like photoshopping all the maps
I have already photoshoped all those maps. Give me a dropbox / Google Drive link and I'll put them there for you.

In my campaign:

After the PC's leave Thunderspire Peak a mysterious disease had appeared in the Nentir Vale affecting the scattered villages in the fields between Trade Road and Fallcrest. The disease is like scarlet fever and if it killed the host, the host would rise again usually after 24hrs. (Paldamar created the disease.)

Then after the PC's escaped out of the Pyramid 110yrs later there was a new religion, Tymarc. (1 day in the pyramid was 10 yrs out of the pyramid. The book indicated there was a time disparity but doesn't give any indication as to how this worked.) Tymarc is competing with the Raven Queen. The new religion offers a timeless life; wanting for nothing; the more devout (or wealthy / influential followers) are risen to high positions, these devout are turned into visages before death, they then continue in their positions. Worshipers are given a tattoo, that protects them from undead creatures (of a certain type/level and only for now); The worshipers are told their soul go directly to the Astral Sea where Tymarc accepts all without judgment, without purgatory, only bliss and peace forever. This attracts the less savory individuals of society who don't want the fate of going to Hell.

Paladmar, who is now a lich, is behind this new cult. (I doesn't matter if he dies at the end of H2 or not. If he dies Orcus makes him a lich if he doesn't die he turns himself into a lich). Each church's head priest is a Visage. The church offers a timeless life, the more pious the parisoners are (and the more influential they are) the head priest performs a ritual that turns the dying person into a visage who then take over their position in society. If the parisioner is not that influential then the person will be turned in to a ghost and some are turned into zombies (but they do not rot). The ghosts and zombies are passive and do not pose a threat to loved ones or others. All the while the Raven Queen's priests are having trouble with their raise dead rituals and other aspects of their rituals are not working so well. This means that the Raven Queen's followers are decreasing. While Orcus' followers are increasing because ultimately Orcus is behind Paldamar's influence through the religion Tymarc.

How did it arise? Raven Queen following down, Raise Dead not working properly. Why?

The presence of the ghosts and zombies is the result of Orcus's growing influence on the world. 
This also relates to helping with the release of Timesus.

Baron Macklehay has become King Mackelhay and is a Visage. He is now helping to spread the new Religion through sanctions and decrees.

King Palenthior is the great grandfather of Vyrellis's dad (also King Palenthior)
Vyrellis and Karavakos have been in the Pyramid for approx 1000yrs, which is 100 days to them.

I have already photoshoped all those maps. Give me a dropbox / Google Drive link and I'll put them there for you.

drive.google.com/?tab=mo&authuser=0#my-d...

I hope thats the link, if it didnt work let me know

Vince, those are really great ideas – I’m going to incorporate them into my campaign. I also added something others might find interesting:

I had Garesh Vren (from H3) be captured by the hobgoblin slavers and held in the Chamber of Eyes (in H2). He had journeyed alone into Thunderspire Labyrinth to seek out the Mages for advice on his dreams of the Pyramid of Shadows. PCs rescued him and he went off to continue his quest to find the Pyramid – when the PCs meet him again in H3 he can help them.

Also since you are talking maps here’s a reminder that I’ve done all the maps for P3 here: www.cartographersguild.com/finished-maps...

Vince, those are really great ideas – I’m going to incorporate them into my campaign. I also added something others might find interesting:

I had Garesh Vren (from H3) be captured by the hobgoblin slavers and held in the Chamber of Eyes (in H2). He had journeyed alone into Thunderspire Labyrinth to seek out the Mages for advice on his dreams of the Pyramid of Shadows. PCs rescued him and he went off to continue his quest to find the Pyramid – when the PCs meet him again in H3 he can help them.

Also since you are talking maps here’s a reminder that I’ve done all the maps for P3 here: www.cartographersguild.com/finished-maps...

Awesome maps!!!

In my campaign:

After the PC's leave Thunderspire Peak a mysterious disease had appeared in the Nentir Vale affecting the scattered villages in the fields between Trade Road and Fallcrest. The disease is like scarlet fever and if it killed the host, the host would rise again usually after 24hrs. (Paldamar created the disease.)

Then after the PC's escaped out of the Pyramid 110yrs later there was a new religion, Tymarc. (1 day in the pyramid was 10 yrs out of the pyramid. The book indicated there was a time disparity but doesn't give any indication as to how this worked.) Tymarc is competing with the Raven Queen. The new religion offers a timeless life; wanting for nothing; the more devout (or wealthy / influential followers) are risen to high positions, these devout are turned into visages before death, they then continue in their positions. Worshipers are given a tattoo, that protects them from undead creatures (of a certain type/level and only for now); The worshipers are told their soul go directly to the Astral Sea where Tymarc accepts all without judgment, without purgatory, only bliss and peace forever. This attracts the less savory individuals of society who don't want the fate of going to Hell.

Paladmar, who is now a lich, is behind this new cult. (I doesn't matter if he dies at the end of H2 or not. If he dies Orcus makes him a lich if he doesn't die he turns himself into a lich). Each church's head priest is a Visage. The church offers a timeless life, the more pious the parisoners are (and the more influential they are) the head priest performs a ritual that turns the dying person into a visage who then take over their position in society. If the parisioner is not that influential then the person will be turned in to a ghost and some are turned into zombies (but they do not rot). The ghosts and zombies are passive and do not pose a threat to loved ones or others. All the while the Raven Queen's priests are having trouble with their raise dead rituals and other aspects of their rituals are not working so well. This means that the Raven Queen's followers are decreasing. While Orcus' followers are increasing because ultimately Orcus is behind Paldamar's influence through the religion Tymarc.

How did it arise? Raven Queen following down, Raise Dead not working properly. Why?

The presence of the ghosts and zombies is the result of Orcus's growing influence on the world. 
This also relates to helping with the release of Timesus.

Baron Macklehay has become King Mackelhay and is a Visage. He is now helping to spread the new Religion through sanctions and decrees.

King Palenthior is the great grandfather of Vyrellis's dad (also King Palenthior)
Vyrellis and Karavakos have been in the Pyramid for approx 1000yrs, which is 100 days to them.

Really great concept. Could you write it down in some more details, so that I could add it as an DM Advice in the end of H3?