H1-H3: Demon Prince of Undeath Conversion

982 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm really interested in seeing how you will make that end encounter and how you deal with the vampire exarch
H3: Monster Update Finished!!!!

I finally managed to update all the H3 monsters to the new format. There might still be errors in there, but if you notice them give me a shout and I can update it.

I will now focus on P2. Will need a new end encounter and an encounter where they meet Orcus fallen exarch and get the sword.

Wheres the updated version of the nexus?
Or did you update the version in the original PDF. Because you have updated the version of other fights in the original PDF (eg coventants revenge) here not in the original PDF.
H3: Monster Update Finished!!!!

I finally managed to update all the H3 monsters to the new format. There might still be errors in there, but if you notice them give me a shout and I can update it.

I will now focus on P2. Will need a new end encounter and an encounter where they meet Orcus fallen exarch and get the sword.

Wheres the updated version of the nexus?
Or did you update the version in the original PDF. Because you have updated the version of other fights in the original PDF (eg coventants revenge) here not in the original PDF.

Oops, I had missed that one. It is added in the end now, page 59.
I'm really interested in seeing how you will make that end encounter and how you deal with the vampire exarch

My thinking so far is to have Zirithian instead leading his undead army in Phaervorul. To reach him the characters will have to try to get through the enemy lines (a skill challenge were failures lead to lesser encounters that will tap their resources). Once face to face with the leader of the undead army they can either fight Zirithian or try to use diplomacy. However, I think in the end I want the nightbringer to interfere and bring it all to a battle as the Nightbringer wants a new owner. I will reuse parts of the  V12 encounter for this battle. The entry to V1: Bridge of Webs encounter will be from here instead of from Lareen's Villa (L11)

The characters will have to face Karavakos in his strongest manifestation so far (created as some kind of demonic solo or elite monster) inside the ziggurat. Come think of it I might want to change the ziggurat environment completly into some horror-nighmare environment of Undeath.

What do you think? 
It all sounds good to me. This past weekend I ran them through Inheritors and Miser's Pit.  When I asked them which way they will go next they insisted that they will be going to where the Great Lizard is on the map. So I will be pitting them against a Dragon.
P2: Maps Update

I created a map showing the Underdark terrain under Thunderspire Mountain [Page 7]. I have added information about how long it takes to travel to each location as well.
I updated Goldrun Coinkeeper's map to fit the new material [Page 33].

Show
PLEASE NOTE THERE ARE MAJOR SPOILERS IN HERE - DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT TO ENJOY PLAYING THE ADVENTURES

H1 Conversion Guide: web.comhem.se/mwester/Shadowfell/Documen...
H2 Conversion Guide: web.comhem.se/mwester/Shadowfell/Documen... 
H3 Conversion Guide: web.comhem.se/mwester/Shadowfell/Documen...
P1 Conversion Guide: web.comhem.se/mwester/Shadowfell/Documen...
P2 Conversion Guide: web.comhem.se/mwester/Shadowfell/Documen...
H1-E3 Monster Update: web.comhem.se/mwester/Shadowfell/Documen...
Conversion Guide Maps: web.comhem.se/mwester/Shadowfell/Documen...

I you want to read our game chronicles you may find them at:
web.comhem.se/mwester/Shadowfell/index.h...
A couple of minor quibbles.

In the original H3 document, in the tiamat cult encounter (page 17) the HP of a bluespawn storm lizard are given as 217. The HP should be 117.

And for the maps package. There are now so many maps, its hard to keep track of which module they are for.
It would be helpfull if you put the maps into subdirectories, one for each module.

In the original H3 document, in the tiamat cult encounter (page 17) the HP of a bluespawn storm lizard are given as 217. The HP should be 117.

And for the maps package. There are now so many maps, its hard to keep track of which module they are for.
It would be helpfull if you put the maps into subdirectories, one for each module.

I have put the maps it in subfolders now.
For location C4; temple of verdant rage. The plant terror has lost his "gnarled roots" property.
H2 update, following Posts #404, #424, #432, #474 on this thread.  (Full prose writeups now being put here.)

The players had done things in a weird order, so I had two equally important 'endings' to reach: killing Paldemar and stopping the ritual at the Shadow Vortex.  The players were totally expecting the Sea of Shadows to be a single final showdown resolving both of these -- so I went into it half expecting to 'have to' give Paldemar some teleportation stunt to pop in, try to disrupt their disruption of the incipient Ritual of Breaking, and pop out again.

I didn't know how it was going to have to go, and then I had a session with only half the group present.  So I GMed it very cautiously, and the players played it very cautiously.  They couldn't figure out what to do about the Ritual, which Denoa's ritual darkvision -- which I made up -- could see being assembled in the cavern below her tower. But they concluded they'd have to go on down there for a closer look.

Adventure Log

They super-cautiously snuck past a Bronze Singer.  The Myhrdraak map shows these as normal-sized, but of course they're Large monsters, so the PCs actually had to move through the Singer's squares!  Tense -- very open to being shoved off the bridge into the freezing water -- but nothing went amiss.

They reluctantly initiated combat against a Shadow Binder despite the walkways being blocked by Bronze Singers in front of and behind them.  But no one lost their cool or got to casual with any area-of-effect attacks and the Bronze Singers didn't get disturbed. The PCs intelligently concentrated on trying to pull the naked Mage out of the clutches of the Binder.  The Shadow Binder's AC of 28 was untouchable so I dropped it to 23, and instead of making it vulnerable 5 radiant (the Orb of Light is the only radiant damage my party have!) I had radiant damage cancel its insubstantial status for a round.  It was tense, but it worked -- just.
Rather satisfyingly, the Shadow-Binder switched to attacking and really f**king up a PC, in order to rescue the mage from it.

Meanwhile, there was also the small matter of Sjach'haurach...  The party was seeing by means of a Darklight ritual, which meant they had almost no time in which to see and attack the dragon on its attacking run.  But the Orb of Indisputable Gravity dropped it straight into the water.  This wasn't a very satisfactory fight, but they had already beaten it once in the Well of Demons -- having done things in the 'wrong' order -- and couldn't bring enough firepower to bear for a full fight here.  So when the Shadow Vortex just took the dragon away it was a bit of an anti-climax...  but they still got the result they needed.

And with one of the six Mages rescued, they got the hell out of there.
It was all a bit fraught, but they got back to the Seven-Pillared Hall, around which the noose of the Bringer of Changes' forces was tightening...  And hastened onwards to bring the battle to Paldemar himself.

Next post, I'll describe how things went in that final push on the Shrine of Undeath.

Cheers!
--Os.
|\/ Osric, aka Neville.Percy of Gmail.com |\/ "The keener and the clearer is the reason, the better | fantasy will it make." JRR Tolkien – The Monsters and the Critics http://www.othermindsmagazine.com – an international journal for academic and gaming interests in JRR Tolkien's Middle-earth "If magic does not have friends in Yorkshire where may we find them?" – Mr John Segundus in 'Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell'
H2 update, following Posts #404, #424, #432, #474 on this thread.  (Full prose writeups now being put here.)

The players had done things in a weird order, so I had two equally important 'endings' to reach: killing Paldemar and stopping the ritual at the Shadow Vortex.  The players were totally expecting the Sea of Shadows to be a single final showdown resolving both of these -- so I went into it half expecting to 'have to' give Paldemar some teleportation stunt to pop in, try to disrupt their disruption of the incipient Ritual of Breaking, and pop out again.

I didn't know how it was going to have to go, and then I had a session with only half the group present.  So I GMed it very cautiously, and the players played it very cautiously.  They couldn't figure out what to do about the Ritual, which Denoa's ritual darkvision -- which I made up -- could see being assembled in the cavern below her tower. But they concluded they'd have to go on down there for a closer look.

Adventure Log

They super-cautiously snuck past a Bronze Singer.  The Myhrdraak map shows these as normal-sized, but of course they're Large monsters, so the PCs actually had to move through the Singer's squares!  Tense -- very open to being shoved off the bridge into the freezing water -- but nothing went amiss.

They reluctantly initiated combat against a Shadow Binder despite the walkways being blocked by Bronze Singers in front of and behind them.  But no one lost their cool or got to casual with any area-of-effect attacks and the Bronze Singers didn't get disturbed. The PCs intelligently concentrated on trying to pull the naked Mage out of the clutches of the Binder.  The Shadow Binder's AC of 28 was untouchable so I dropped it to 23, and instead of making it vulnerable 5 radiant (the Orb of Light is the only radiant damage my party have!) I had radiant damage cancel its insubstantial status for a round.  It was tense, but it worked -- just.
Rather satisfyingly, the Shadow-Binder switched to attacking and really f**king up a PC, in order to rescue the mage from it.

Meanwhile, there was also the small matter of Sjach'haurach...  The party was seeing by means of a Darklight ritual, which meant they had almost no time in which to see and attack the dragon on its attacking run.  But the Orb of Indisputable Gravity dropped it straight into the water.  This wasn't a very satisfactory fight, but they had already beaten it once in the Well of Demons -- having done things in the 'wrong' order -- and couldn't bring enough firepower to bear for a full fight here.  So when the Shadow Vortex just took the dragon away it was a bit of an anti-climax...  but they still got the result they needed.

And with one of the six Mages rescued, they got the hell out of there.
It was all a bit fraught, but they got back to the Seven-Pillared Hall, around which the noose of the Bringer of Changes' forces was tightening...  And hastened onwards to bring the battle to Paldemar himself.

Next post, I'll describe how things went in that final push on the Shrine of Undeath.

Cheers!
--Os.

Hmm, sounds like I should have a second look at those shadow binders. Thanks for sharing.

I have updated the Bluespawn Stormlizard, as well as the Plant Terror (it was the WoC monster builder that had missed it), and I have brought down the Shadow Binders defenses to the recommended DMG values (AC 26 instead of 28, Will to 25 instead of 26). I have also added the full monster statistics for the H3 Conversion monsters as well.
P2: The Undead Horde

I have added information on the how the battle between Zirithian's undead horde and the drow defenders developed as well as updated the map of Phaervorul showing the area the undead are controlling [page 32].
I added the skill challenge from "Lord of the White Fields" in Dungeon 184 and modified it to the appropriate level. This will serve as a good challenge to reach Zirithian's camp [Page 33].
I added the House Rules section on Raise Dead from P1: Trollhaunt Warrens 

Show
PLEASE NOTE THERE ARE MAJOR SPOILERS IN HERE - DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT TO ENJOY PLAYING THE ADVENTURES

P2: Facing Zirithian

I have added the encounter with Zirithian. It is not finished yet, need a map and some parley guidlines. But here is the first start at it. [Page 34-36]

Show

P2: Facing Zirithian battle map

Now I have also added a map to the encounter [Page 35 and 50]
Thanks Mythdraak. I will probably be using these this weekend if they go that way
By the way where did you find that map?
By the way where did you find that map?

Created it in photoshop. I actually just added some blood on the skeletons to go with the description. I have also put the new battle maps in the Map.rar folder so that you can use it for your game night.
P2: Facing Zirithian

I have seen the WotC recommendation to not run skill checks to give penalities to players before an encounter - but being an EVIL DM I have no problem with that. I thought there must be some danger associated with moving around in the undead controlled areas, and have therefore added some simple skill checks to see how the players manage to get through these areas [see Page 34]
I also found some good pictures from the 3.5 Edition of the Underdark compendium, which I found fitting and added [see Page 13 and 15]

Show

P2: Travelling the Underdark

I liked the skill check setup I used in the Undead Areas of Phaervorul, and applied it to the Underdark journey down to Phaervorul. It might help to enhance the difficulties the adventurers are experiencing along the way. [Page 7-8]
As you may have noticed I have also reduced the travel time down to Phaervorul to half the previous. The players can now reach the drow city in 11-13 days, which seems more fitting considering the undead war happening down there.

Show

P2: Monster Update

I have started to add the updated monster statistics to the Conversion encounters [see last pages]. The roper feels more nasty in the updated version.

Show

In the pyramid monster conversion. In room H1 & H2.
The psychic scream attack of the voidblades and the mindhowl attack of the mindstrike have become "friendly" ie enemies only.

While I might concede that it makes more sense for those attacks to be "friendly" they weren't in the original...

And for arat karavarkos, his thunderwave power is missing the "thunder" keyword though thats a bug in the original not introduced by you.
The psychic scream attack of the voidblades and the mindhowl attack of the mindstrike have become "friendly" ie enemies only.

While I might concede that it makes more sense for those attacks to be "friendly" they weren't in the original...

And for arat karavarkos, his thunderwave power is missing the "thunder" keyword though thats a bug in the original not introduced by you.

I added the "enemies only" myself. These psionic-like attacks feel like you would be able to target the enemies rather than just affect everybody, like a thunder or fire blast would. I can add the thunder if you want. Had not spotted that myself.

I added the "enemies only" myself. These psionic-like attacks feel like you would be able to target the enemies rather than just affect everybody, like a thunder or fire blast would. I can add the thunder if you want. Had not spotted that myself.

Yeah, I wondered if you had done that deliberately. It didnt seem like the sort of thing that would slip in accidentally.
As I said, I agree it does feel like the sort of attack that should be friendly.

However, counter intuitively, making it friendly could actually make the encounter easier in some ways.
The mindstrike has a mindsurge attack (gives eveyone else a basic attack) that is extremely powerful.
But the tactics section says he only uses it if he can't use his other attacks.
Making them friendly makes them easier to use,  so he might end up using mindsurge less.

Its swings and round abouts. I'll try it with the friendly attacks and see how it goes.

As for arat karavarkos. The thunder keyword only matters because of his Staff of storms power which works with other attacks with thunder/lightning keyword.
I noticed that as written, he doesnt have any powers with the thunder keyword. Then I did a double take; hey shouldnt thunderwave be a thunder power.

I have updated 2 more encounters. Reading through the statistics of the wizards I realized I had to tweak them to fit into the level they are supposed to be, so they are now in two versions, one in the old (low damage) version and one in the updated version doing more damage.

Show

I have now updated all the wizards and the lich in the tower [Page 58-60], as well as provided a low damage version of them inside the conversion. I used the Monster Vault version of the Lich and updated it to solo. I also took a closer look at the elite wizards and updated them as well, giving them the capability to two double damage every round to reflect the new design guidelines. I hope they will be more of a challenge now. All the powers have been changed to fit their level as a wizard as well.

Show

P2: Monster Update with some Questions

Now I have updated all the monsters in the P2: Orcus Conversion Guide. The new Mind Flayer from Monster Vault was way better than the old one. I am considering copying it to the old format with lesser damage (for those that want to run it according to that level).

Now I will only look through the Tower encounter to spice it up storywise with some more descriptions and then I have the final encounter vs. Karavakos inside the pyramid left. But after that, I am quite happy for P2.

Is there any other ideas or thoughts on P2 from you in the community? Should I include a deep dragon encounter where the "big lizard" is marked? Maybe something else? Any thoughts on how to tie in P3?

The Mind Flayer is a good idea. I replaced it with the same one from the Monster Vault as well.

As for the "big lizard", I thought about putting in a deep dragon as well but instead opted for something out of the Dungeon Delve book, Temple of the Four Winds. I just replaced the outside chambers with lizardfolk from the Monster Vault and replaced the Elder Blue Dragon with the one from the Monster Vault as well. Lets just say my players got a nasty surprise when they discovered what they released. At first they tried fighting it, but that wasn't going in their favor at all (and it wasn't supposed to). And the Dragon escaped. At the end of this adventure they will have to deal with the consequences of freeing the dragon and having it wreak havoc on the outside.

I know, I'm an evil DM. They were level 14 when they released the Level 20 Dragon. They never stood a chance. But then again they didn't heed the warning on the map.

Any good idea on a connection to P3? Here are some from the top of my head.

1. A character dies in the battle with Karavakos. They will learn the hard way that something is wrong!

2. The necromancer in the drow enclave is actually a member of the Ashen Covenant and has details of the activities in Nightwyrm Fortress

3. The drow tries to bring back their dead and learn something is wrong and ask the adventurers to investigate.

4. The adventurers are contacted by agents of the Raven Queen that ask them to look into the matter.

Any ideas or suggestions?

All of those sound plausable. I myself might go with the first one as one of my players wants to play something else, so this gives me a good chance to try to kill his character.
Just wanted to give kudos to everyone who has helped in the effort to update these adventures. Really wonderful work, and always great to see this kind of group effort done out of love for the hobby.  Can't wait for an opportunity to DM the new and improved campaign!
Inline image 3 Inline image 4       
 MISC.FANTASY/GAMING IMAGES: VOL. 1 | VOL. 2 | VOL. 3 | VOL. 4 #Fantasy-NPC DeviantArt Gallery
P2: Parthal Background

I have spiced up the material around the Tower of Zoramadria which I intend to use as a starting point for the events down in the drow enclave.
I have added a poem to Zoramadria written by Parthal [Page 14,15 & 45]. Its a translation of the swedish poet Stagnelius, which came to my mind (he writes about lost love). I do not know if the translation make justice to the original, but it will do.
I also added a glas coffin at the top floor where the corpse of Zoramadria lays. Updated the maps to reflect this [Page 31 & 55] 
Then I have added yet another diary - Parthal's diary - where the players can learn about the event that lead to the current situation. (Starting to become too repetitive, or?) [Page 46]

Show

I wanted to just take a moment to thank you for all the hard work you have done on this set of modules.  I have DM'ed H1-H3 so far and have been on break for a bit with a new baby in the house.  We are just about to get started back with P1 and I wanted to make sure you know that your amazing work with these mods are truly appreciated by my gaming group.  Thank you so very much!

I wanted to second the approach to allowing a player to swap out to the revanant of ruin and then have to wait to switch back until an extended rest.  I actually made him go with Saving Throws to break the hold.  The mage in my group didnt want to deal with the "evil" powers but the cleric of the raven queen was drawn to the promise of power and assistance in fighting Karakavos before he knew what he was gettign into.  His is now a very conflicted existence as he now knows he accepted the help of an exarch of Orcus throughout most of H3.  Should be an interesting Paragon tier for him and the rest of the group!

Do you or anyone else still have any questions about the Heroic Tier with the conversion?  I have certainly feel I have learned a ton running through these so far and I am happy to share the ups and downs with the group.
I wanted to just take a moment to thank you for all the hard work you have done on this set of modules.  I have DM'ed H1-H3 so far and have been on break for a bit with a new baby in the house.  We are just about to get started back with P1 and I wanted to make sure you know that your amazing work with these mods are truly appreciated by my gaming group.  Thank you so very much!

I wanted to second the approach to allowing a player to swap out to the revanant of ruin and then have to wait to switch back until an extended rest.  I actually made him go with Saving Throws to break the hold.  The mage in my group didnt want to deal with the "evil" powers but the cleric of the raven queen was drawn to the promise of power and assistance in fighting Karakavos before he knew what he was gettign into.  His is now a very conflicted existence as he now knows he accepted the help of an exarch of Orcus throughout most of H3.  Should be an interesting Paragon tier for him and the rest of the group!

Do you or anyone else still have any questions about the Heroic Tier with the conversion?  I have certainly feel I have learned a ton running through these so far and I am happy to share the ups and downs with the group.

I like that suggestion. In the same way as WotC is adding reflections from the designers of the adventures, maybe we could add a "DM Insights" chapter back in the appendix, were you DMs out there that have already run the adventure could give some short and crisps suggestions, insights or reflections in how to run the adventure. Some small pieces of advice to your fellow DMs out there.

If you would like to contribute add your work as short and to the point text with the heading "P1: DM Insights" where "P1" is replaced with whatever adventure you want to contribute too. I will then add it to the appropriate Orcus Conversion Guide.

P2: Heroes of Shadow

I just bought the Heroes of Shadow and have now updated the wizards and warlock in the Tower of Zoramadria to Necromancers and Nethermancers. This will give them a very unique feeling - a lot of necrotic and obscured zones across the battlefield.

Show

I'm guessing you ran H3 before the recent changes to the layout and the changes to the nexus to add regen to the monsters there.

But anyway here are the issues that I have some concerns about  that your insights would be appreciated on.

Is the layout of the pyramid "interesting"?
Thats an impossibly vague question I know.

Even after the redesign, I'm not entirely happy with the layout due to the prevalance of "portal touring" where the players just keep popping in and out of portals until they get somewhere interesting. I think the redesign has made it a lot better. But I think it could be better still.
After running the level 1 of the pyramid with the new layout, I'm thinking of modifying the layout of level 2 so when you go through a portal, you effectively step out of a wall. So theres no portal to just jump back through.
That way they have to do some exploration to find a new portal to go through...

Are the regenerating monsters in the nexus an issue due to the players having to do the same fight again and again.
You probably can't give any insight on this. But I just thought I'd get it out there while we're on the subject.

Is player trust of Vyrelis an issue.
My players already mistrust her after she "fibbed" about the mezzodemon in the ice chamber.
After they hit the winter eladrin, I'm concerned that they will just conclude she's evil and have nothing more to do with her assuming they can't destroy the orb.

H1-P2: Monster Updates

I have moved all the conversion monster updates to the end of the conversion guides, in the same way as I did in P2. The Monster Update guide will now only contain monster updates of the original adventure - not the conversion material (thereby keeping down the size of the document).

Show

I'm guessing you ran H3 before the recent changes to the layout and the changes to the nexus to add regen to the monsters there.

>>I did run the regen for the mobs in the nexus and it worked GREAT!  The party stood toe to toe with them for the first encounter weathering heavy damage from the harpies.  The Paladin of Pelor finally killed the first ghoul (i think it was ghouls?) and it got up next round with regen.  They were shaken and ran for the nearest open portal which happened to be the eladrin/ice area.  The pali was guarding the group as they ran and as the last member of the party made it they saw the pali get rooted and fall one square away from the portal.  He was was surrounded by undead and unconscious.  The party was horrified.  The players wanted to save him so we created an on the fly skill challenge to re-attune the portal back to the nexus to save their comrade from certain death.  They succeeded barely.  Part of this skill challenge was also to placate or otherwise keep the eladrin in the romm from stopping the rescue of the Pali.  The eladrin werent happy about the folks that just plopped down in front of them with Vryellis in tow.  They ended up throwing up a wall of blades as a last ditch effort in the last round of the challenge as they stabalized the temporary portal back to the nexus the diplomacy/bluffs had failed to assuage the eladrin.  They managed to get the unconsious pali back.  They were beaten from the previous fight and somewhat defenseless after the eladrin dispelled the wall so they submitted to be taken prisioner.  They ran through the nexus another time after the dragon encounter and then again with all three keys.  Even with the regen turned off they chose to just jump through for the final encounter.  I couldnt have planned that room better than it ran.  The random nature of the portals in it as well as the portals that turned back on the room all came into play during their visits.

Is the layout of the pyramid "interesting"?Thats an impossibly vague question I know.
Even after the redesign, I'm not entirely happy with the layout due to the prevalance of "portal touring" where the players just keep popping in and out of portals until they get somewhere interesting. I think the redesign has made it a lot better. But I think it could be better still.After running the level 1 of the pyramid with the new layout, I'm thinking of modifying the layout of level 2 so when you go through a portal, you effectively step out of a wall. So theres no portal to just jump back through.That way they have to do some exploration to find a new portal to go through...

>>Basically the "portal touring" didnt affect my group at all.  I let the resident Arcana expert inspect the first portal.  They rolled well and saw that the portals were powered by the Pyramid which was already a malevolent force in the game world.  (The whole running people out of the main settlement in the Vale and the surrounding undead ravens that attacked the group as night fell). They were cautious and knew that jumping back into a portal would likely take them somewhere more dangerous.  I guess they just went with the concept and not everyone is blessed with a group like mine!
>>Also another change I made was I cut the stair encounter completely and cut the entire tree people plot.  I also didnt allow a return to level one of the pyramid once it was clear.  They got the keys and clues they needed so no portals would allow a return.  This place changes so I say use it to your benefit as a DM.  Some players dislike that though (folks that make maps at the table for one) so your milage may vary, I dont have any of those folks at my table right now.  I also restructured a whole bottom section of the pyramid after an extended rest to a room from a previous adventure that was one of the worst fights for them, after another rest on the second level I made a paradise for the players that were hit by a will attack from the pyramid.  A temptation from the pryamid to stop the attacks.  It was built after all to keep Karakavos in.

Are the regenerating monsters in the nexus an issue due to the players having to do the same fight again and again.You probably can't give any insight on this. But I just thought I'd get it out there while we're on the subject.

>> We only wnet through the Nexus three times.  I wouldnt suggest many more than that as it is a VERY risky place if you follow RAW.  We are a group that sides with story if rules get in the way so it works well for us.  made for some heartstopping moments.

Is player trust of Vyrelis an issue.My players already mistrust her after she "fibbed" about the mezzodemon in the ice chamber.After they hit the winter eladrin, I'm concerned that they will just conclude she's evil and have nothing more to do with her assuming they can't destroy the orb.

>>The Pali of Pelor said at second one she was an undead head that couldnt be trusted and should be chucked down the garbage shoot so I feel your pain here.  The way I played her was to latch on to the eladrin in the party and make friends.  She would talk to the eladrin in the native tounge about her home and treat the other party members as below both of them.  She had info about Karakavos that she dolled out as bargaining chips when the party really started to hate her.  When asked why she wasnt forthcoming with more info she said she was worried about the party's goals.  You have to remember this place has been around for a very long time and only evil beings have really been trapped inside.  She is a manipulator and has her own agenda to get her crystals back and to kill Karakavos.  This along with magic items being found in the room with the crystals was enough for a tentative alliance.
>>Specifically when the betrayal with the Ice Demon came up, they already didnt trust her and stuffed her in a bag of holding (much to her displeasure).  As I recall just before being stuffed in Vyrellis claimed that the demon had tortured her here for years for Karakavos's pleasure before she was beheaded and she wanted revenge on it.  She told the party she was sorry she tricked them into taking revenge for her but as they all hate her she thought they wouldnt have helped out of kindness.  She said this was fair payment for her assistance in the pyramid and considered it a done matter, the group was not enthused with her opinion.  As the Vyrellis's body encounter was next up they saw her vulnerable and tortured as her body disappeared into goop.  I really played up the shock and pain of that moment for her, gaining pity from the party at large.
>>The eladrin encounter was tough for my group as they got the "true" story which doesnt at all jive with Vyrellis's version.  She said they were lying as as the eladrin had imprisoned them and taken all of the party's gold for an offereing for the dragon the they decided they didnt much care for them.  They didnt believe either of the groups in the end and I implied that often the truth is had to find after years of pain and improsionment.
>>In the end you have to find the person that will talk to her and generally that is a player that enjoys the artifact concept, building concordance or just wants that personal touch that running with a difficult plot line gives.  There should be someone at your table that leans that way, if not it may be tougher.  You dont need or really want the party to love her and trust her.  They need her to unravel the secrets of this place.  Also on her plus side i gave out a magic item parcel each time they got a piece of her soul.  Positive reinforcement goes a long way in a game I find.  This is a great example of the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

(made some edits for readability)
#1: I've only just started to look at this.  I'm massively impressed by the amount of effort!
#2 Quick question: I've noticed the monster updates start at H2.  Am I missing the H1 part?

Thanks!
I'm pretty new to this thread as well.  Thanks for all the work and inspiring ideas.  I plan to start a campaign soon and I will be using some of your material.  My players played through H1 in the past, so i'm going to skip that one.  I'm going to start with some other material that will set the PCs up with the Rod of Ruin and funnel them into H2.  

Our games are few and far between so we'll be leveling much quicker (1 level per game session)  I'll only be using the most critical combat encounters per session, and drive the story along much faster.  They'll be level 30 in 30 sessions.  Which will take us 2 years at least to play.

Anyway, back to your great work.  I'm impressed with the roleplay and dialog included in your write ups so far.  I hope you continue through P3 and the E series.