H1-H3: Demon Prince of Undeath Conversion

972 posts / 0 new
Last post

Looking at the 4th Edition adventure series H1 Keep on the Shadowfell, H2 Thunderspire Labyrinths, and H3 Pyramid of Shadows – there is very little in the plotline that really ties these adventures together into a full story. When I read the Keep on the Shadowfell I had hoped that Wizards of the Coast would tie this story together around a growing threat from the Demon Lord Orcus (appearing in H1) trying to spread undeath from the new cool Shadowfell plane defined in 4th Edition. Lot of expectation had been built up around demons, demon lords and the Shadowfell in the Worlds and Monsters publication previously. Sadly my hopes was not fulfilled when I read the Thunderspire Labyrinth and then later the Pyramid of Shadow. I therefore decided to try to bridge this gap myself, with a conversion guide, doing some changes in the story, background and some of the encounters and images, in order to create an atmosphere foreboding the return of the undead legions of Orcus. I started with trying to tie together the story more tightly. You can see my first go at it in the following link. 

Well I just glanced at it and the production value was fantastic if nothing else.

I'll read through it when I get a free moment.
fo diggity Twitter: www.twitter.com/fodigg Comic Books You Should Have Read: http://tinyurl.com/ycxe9l7
I wanted to weave in the Rod of Ruin more centrally in the story - being something of a look a like to the famous Rod of Orcus. My hope is that the Adventurer's Vault will give some good examples of potentially evil artefacts that could be used for it.

It should be something that tempts the players to use it but they will soon realize the danger of using something touched by Orcus, the Demon Prince of Undeath.

Any suggestions?

I really liked the idea of Bairwin running the Cult of Shar within Winterhaven, introduced in the H1: Realms Conversion. Get it at: www.wizards.com/download.asp?filename=15... This is wanted to use but for Orcus instead, it is a quite easy conversion but I decided to change the encounter with more undead, rather than shadows. I also wanted to have some ways for the characters to learn about Bairwins activities in the town, so I reworked the “Tavern Thugs” into an encounter outside of Winterhaven were the characters find evidence of the abductions happening. 

In Thunderspire Labyrinth (W9: Proving Grounds) a green dragon comes up from the Well of Demons, which feels a little out of scope. I would consider having a shadow dragon or deep dragon instead, but decided to just change some of the statistics for the green dragon in order to turn it into what I call a Shadow Well Demon. Fits better into the place. I reallity there is really not any major changes, but if you have any suggestions on changing some of its powers it would be good - to give it some unique touch.

I've the feeling that the adventures weren't done as an "all Orcus, all the time" series because that might start to wear thin for a lot of groups, and if your group isn't big on fighting Orcus in the first place, the series wouldn't have a lot to offer. The stronger tie-togethers would also make it more difficult to just pick up one adventure and run with it.

From what they've released so far, and what's showing on the list: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndlist&brand=All&year=All&type=Adventures&tablesort=5

It looks like the series was designed with more of an eye to presenting a sampling of all of the different big threats that the setting offers.

On the other hand, they may be planning to return to the Orcus theme later on. Death's Reach and Kingdom of the Ghouls (both epic tier) don't have any information or pictures up yet, but the names certainly suggest a connection.
Oops, wrong topic.
I've the feeling that the adventures weren't done as an "all Orcus, all the time" series because that might start to wear thin for a lot of groups, and if your group isn't big on fighting Orcus in the first place, the series wouldn't have a lot to offer. The stronger tie-togethers would also make it more difficult to just pick up one adventure and run with it.

You are probably right, but I really liked the Cormyr - Tearing of the Weave -> Anauroch - The Empire of Shade series. It had a common thread that was very clear and made a great campaign. That was my hope when I first laid eyes on Keep on the Shadowfell, but as you say - they were more of 3 individual adventures that could be played seperatly or together.

Anyway, with my Demon Prince of Undeath Conversion, I am trying to build that common theme in the series as the general material in the adventures are very good, and with some tweaking I think the story can be more connected.

Just added a skill challenge where the players can learn more about the secrets of the Cult happening in Winterhaven. I am calling it "The Mystery of Old Sara"

Have done some more work. Added a Player's Handout section in the end with the notes from Kalarel the players will find. Also took the Cult of Shar from the FR Conversion of KotSF and made some minor changes to turn it into Orcus instead. Put in Skeletons as guardians instead as that more fits into Orcus ways of turning the killed victims into undead servants.

I liked the notion of a mirror at the Burial site, but I wanted to change it into something more memorable. Instead of a tool for the Nerath wizards to close the rift, I changed it into the Mirror of Shadows, a relic used by Karavakos to open the original rift. I made it into a dark cursed item (have not seen any rules for cursed items? Or are there any?) but which might play a role at reversing the ritual at Area 19: The Shadow Rift. (inserted the WoC installment there so I have them all in one guide)

Anyone having any guidance of creating cursed items? See my try at page 6 in the conversion guide.

Show
PLEASE NOTE THERE ARE MAJOR SPOILERS IN HERE - DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT TO ENJOY PLAYING THE ADVENTURES

H1 Conversion Guide: web.comhem.se/mwester/Shadowfell/Documen...
H2 Conversion Guide: web.comhem.se/mwester/Shadowfell/Documen...
H3 Conversion Guide: web.comhem.se/mwester/Shadowfell/Documen...
P1 Conversion Guide: web.comhem.se/mwester/Shadowfell/Documen...
P2 Conversion Guide: web.comhem.se/mwester/Shadowfell/Documen...
P3 Conversion Guide: web.comhem.se/mwester/Shadowfell/Documen...
E1 Conversion Guide: web.comhem.se/mwester/Shadowfell/Documen...
E2 Conversion Guide: web.comhem.se/mwester/Shadowfell/Documen...
E3 Conversion Guide: web.comhem.se/mwester/Shadowfell/Documen...
H1-E3 Monster Update: web.comhem.se/mwester/Shadowfell/Documen...
Conversion Guide Maps: web.comhem.se/mwester/Shadowfell/Documen...

Also read my Pathfinder: Reign of Winter 4th Edition Conversion  

I did some additions to the Kobold Lair where the players can find some clues as to Ninaran in Winterhaven, as well as a Players Handout for those.

Show
PLEASE NOTE THERE ARE MAJOR SPOILERS IN HERE - DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT TO ENJOY PLAYING THE ADVENTURES

As I have tied together Keep on the Shadowfell more tightly with Thunderspire Labyrinth. It was natural that Kalarel was accompanied with Hobgoblins of the Bloodreavers tribe. They have been given the task not only
to protect Kalarel (Area 12 to 14), but also secure the steady supply of slaves to their brethren in Thunderspire Mountain – thereby securing Paldemar’s position and influence. Their Leader Tra’ak is in charge of their
operation from the Keep.

Another change I did was to turn Irontooth into a hobgoblin Bloodreaver, rather than a mere goblin – thereby making him more threatening, which helped prepare the PCs for the tough A3 encounter (Kobold Lair). Irontooth
has taken command of the kobolds, kidnapping slaves from the old Kings Road and outskirt farms, and sending them to the hobgoblin Warchief that secures the continuous transfer of them to Thunderspire Mountain and the
Bloodreavers there..

Show

As I have changed Irontooth background into belonging to the hobgoblin Bloodreavers Tribe, the hobgoblin Warchief, which I named Ta’ak, is an easier challenge than Irontooth, 200 XP versus 300 XP, I decided to increase the challenge of the Warchief’s Council Room to encounter level 5. I changed Ta’ak the Warchief to an elite opponent worth 400 XP using the Battle Champion template from the DMG.

Any better suggestions as to how to make him an elite opponent?

Show

I have made some changes to the information disclosed by Valthrun about the Shadowfell Keep, tying the story together around Karavakos as the wizard opening the original rift.

Also did som photoshopping on Bairwin so he has a black robe instead of purple.

Show

Great work! I'm planning something similar, except I'm pretending H3 doesn't exist -- the whole 'trapped inside mystical dungeon' thing is overused, and the Pyramid just doesn't fit my world.

I plan on Kalarel making an appearance in H2 as a lich, and altering the plot a bit to emphasize a growing cult of Orcus among the humanoids in the world. I really like the idea of the PCs having to help defend Winterhaven against a swarm of undead + goblins.

I'm going to pore through your PDF later today to figure out what I can steal

Thanks!
I plan on Kalarel making an appearance in H2 as a lich, and altering the plot a bit to emphasize a growing cult of Orcus among the humanoids in the world. I really like the idea of the PCs having to help defend Winterhaven against a swarm of undead + goblins.

I am playing Keep on the Shadowfell and the guys just killed of Irontooth and as soon as they started to understand Orcus was behind things they have started to burn all kobolds and Irontooth to cinders in order to not have to face them again as undeads.

But I like your idea of the villain coming back, so maybe I can work it into the plot line.

/Myrhdraak
Great work! I'm planning something similar, except I'm pretending H3 doesn't exist -- the whole 'trapped inside mystical dungeon' thing is overused, and the Pyramid just doesn't fit my world.

The question is if it could be reworked into something that fits. There are some good encounters in it. Seperate demiplane? A living briar labyrinth in the Feywild? Nighmarish place within Orcus folds in the Shadowfell?.....

I have added "The Rise and Fall of the Nareth Empire" in the players handouts. A volume that can be found in Bairwins cellar, that mentions the rift to the Shadowfell under the old Keep. It gives the player a detailed background of the setting, but not all the information is true and much is written to enhance the exploits of the Nareth Empire.

Show

I just added a Prologue to the story. Any comments or corrections?

The Blood Lord sat on his throne of bones and blood-oozing skulls, engulfed in darkness and the putrid stench of death and misery. Cries of pain and anguish played in the background of Orcus’ residence of Undeath. Nothing of this reached the dark lord. His blood-filled eyes were lost into the distance, his mind stretching out to listen to the calls and prayers of his dark clergy and followers. Like buzzing flies, their requests and calls for favors left no impression on the Demon Price of Undeath – his schemes of power were on a level incomprehensible for his mortal followers. But suddenly his eye twitched, a prayer – no not a prayer – a whispered word that brought back memories of lost causes and unpaid depts. Orcus focused his divine attention towards the source, spanning his godlike awareness cross planes and dimensions.

“…Master of Undeath, Tear in the shroud of Death, listen to the words of your humble servant, a maggot in your godlike corpse, I have found out where the followers of Bahamut have hidden the Rod of Ruin! The paladin of Bahamut I defiled and brought back in your name knows of its hiding place, great Master.”

The Rod of Ruin – Found! The Blood Lord clenched his fist around the Wand of Orcus, blood dripping between his fingers. This opened up new possibilities, the chessboard had suddenly shifted, and things were coming his way again. As Lord of the Undead, Orcus had the patience of the dead, everlasting, a trait seldom seen among his demonic cohorts and enemies. But Orcus knew that if he waited long enough in the darkness, secrets held in life would resurface in the afterlife, it was just a matter of time. And that time was now. With the Rod of Ruin resurfacing he could send his pawns to collect it and complete the task once started but never finished – turning the living world into a realm of undeath and eternal darkness. His divine mind immediately identified the hundreds of actions needed for setting the plan in motion, but first – he poured a fraction of his essence into the world of the living. His aspect materialized in the crypt of his maggot, pulling darkness and the chill of the grave with it. The priest screamed in terror as his eyes started to bleed at the sight of his true Lord. There were still questions that needed answers and a dept of a soul to be paid…

Show

Instead of all players having the same hook and knowing each other well, I decided to split the party into two, bringing them together in the first encounter in Keep on the Shadowfell – “On the Road: Kobold Brigades”. Each party with its own hooks and purpose for coming to Winterhaven. This allows not only for immediate action but also role-playing as the players learn about each other and why they are seeking Winterhaven.

I did some small adjustments to the Missing Mentor and Ominous Signs hooks. Taking the party wizard as the leader for the Missing Mentor hook, and the cleric or paladin as leader for the Ominous Signs hook.

I also added the Rescue Slaves hook from Thunderspire Labyrinth, allowing Lord Padraig to ask the PCs to find the missing villagers. The players will then find clues in the Keep about the fate of the villagers leading onwards to the Thunderspire Mountains

Show

I changed the Ninaran's Cabin encounter from the H1: Realms Conversion to happening at Wrafton's Inn instead. It feels more likely that they will try to find out how warned Irontooth about their arrival.

In the encounter I took away the guard drakes, which I do not think fits in. Instead of the Shadow Wolfes, I created a lesser version of the Shadow Hound and made 5 of those instead to keep it at an Encounter Level 4. There teleporting ability fitted better in as to their sudden apperance from nowhere to protect Ninaran.

I do not know if the Lesser Shadow Hound is remade correctly, so if you have any suggestions I am all ears....

Show

I have yet to read through all of these adventures or all of this conversion you have posted. Still, I see you have gotten very few replies here and would like to offer up my encouragement. It seems you are doing something very worthwhile here.

I have added a Battle Maps appendix in the end, where all the maps in the conversion guide are available with high resolution.

Show

I added the Slavers encounter from the H1: Side Trek conversion as it ties together the H1 and H2 in a good way. I also created a new battle map for this one which I really liked, using som Google Earth maps to provide the realistic look and feel.

Show

Wow, this is an incredible piece of work! Thanks very much for this.

One of my PCs is a cleric of the Raven Queen, so I imagine I'll get a lot of mileage out of this.

And, as was said earlier, the production value of this suppliment is top-notch. Kudos!
I haven't read through it in gret details, but the design of it is awesome. I was going to run KotS for some of my friends at some point soon, but was a bit worried from what people had said, about the fact that the H modules did not seem to be tied together too well. I'll most likely actually buy H2 and H3 now becuase of your work!

I have added material about the missing villagers and ways for the PCs to learn about their fate and deliver on the quest given to them by Lord Padraig to find the missing villagers. You can find it on page 8 (probably have to start to refer to pages now when the whole guide is starting to hit 28 pages).

Also added a picture of the Warchief Ta'ak that I found on the internet (I think it was related to D&D Online) and cleaned it a little bit.

Show

I haven't read through it in gret details, but the design of it is awesome. I was going to run KotS for some of my friends at some point soon, but was a bit worried from what people had said, about the fact that the H modules did not seem to be tied together too well. I'll most likely actually buy H2 and H3 now becuase of your work!

Thanks, I needed to do it for my own campaign anyway, so I thought I could share it with everybody anyway. If you have any feedback or ideas for H2 and H3, please make your suggestions.

Some changes are needed for Area 11: The Water Cave to fit into the overall story. Both the background story as well as the treasures in the cave. I made a twist to the story that may be used to the PCs advantage when facing the hobgoblins on the second level of the keep (which I am rather proud of). Might make the betrayal even more interesting. The changes are on page 19

Show

I have added the map and the letter in the Player's Handouts for the Water Cave encounter

Show

Ok, first let me say that I really wish I had found this thread before I got half way through H2 as I would definitely have used your conversion.

Second, holy crap dude, the production value on your conversion is top notch; at least as good as the H adventures themselves.

Third, WotC should hire you. Seriously.

Final grade: 10/10.
Ok, first let me say that I really wish I had found this thread before I got half way through H2 as I would definitely have used your conversion.

Second, holy crap dude, the production value on your conversion is top notch; at least as good as the H adventures themselves.

Third, WotC should hire you. Seriously.

Final grade: 10/10.

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it. It has been great fun doing it. As you are already in to H2, any ideas on where it could be improved or tweaked?

Created a skill challenge in Area 14, for the case if the player's have discovered Kalarels killings of the Warchiefs bodyguard. This allows the PCs to convince the Warchief that Kalarel have betrayed the hobgoblins.

Show

Starting to reach the end of the conversion of H1. I would like to make the Rod of Ruin into something dark and memorable. I tried with creating a new weapon property - Shadow Ruin Weapon (see page 21-22). But I am not sure it is the final version. I would like to have something that can grow in strength during H2 and H3. Making it memorable - a curse and a blessing. But there is nothing like the Weapons of Legacy rules for 4th Edition yet. So if anybody have any suggestions, I am all ears....

Show

In the original adventure, Kalarel’s rod of ruin is simply an object that channels his evil power, not an item of treasure. It functions as an ordinary staff in the hands of any other creature.

I wanted to change this an make it into an evil artifact that the players might feel tempted to use, but the cost may be to high. At the same time I wanted it to be reflecting Orcus and maybe trick the PCs to keeping it instead of handing it over to the Church of Bahamut for safe keeping.

You can find the details of the Rod of Ruin in the Magic Items Appendix (page 23). It is not finished yet. Any suggestions appreciated.

Show

I have completed the Rod of Ruin artifact. Might still need some tweaking, and I also need to add some kind of tweak that would make the PCs wanting to keep the evil artifact instead of giving it back to the Church of Bahamut.
All artifact experts out there, please review it and come with suggestions.

Show

I really like the idea of turning the rod of ruin into an artifact and having it be evil. I'm impresed with how far you've come, however, I think a few things need to be twinked here...

There are 7 ways to change concordance with the artifact. However only one of them changes it for evil, and given the layout of H2 and H3 there not nearly as many ways to kill undead (at least RAW) in these two adventures as there are in H1. So while this is a good way to lower concordance, I think there should be one more way (the artifacts listed in the DMG have 2 ways to lower concordance anyway) What I propose is this: swap either "Owner is a follower of Orcus (+2)" or "Owner can cast an arcane spell (+2)" with something like "You spend 8 hours/day in the presence of a good aligned paladin/cleric Max 1/day (-2)"

Also, in connecting the adventures, the wielder might start hearing Krakavos's cries for help from the pyramid from the moment of picking up the rod, and all throughout H2

hope this helps.

Not related to the artifact but the skill challenge to end the ritual, should the adventurer's succeed, you might want to suggest that "the thing in the portal" (the trap from shadowfell's final encounter) should be eliminated.
I really like the idea of turning the rod of ruin into an artifact and having it be evil. I'm impresed with how far you've come, however, I think a few things need to be twinked here...

There are 7 ways to change concordance with the artifact. However only one of them changes it for evil, and given the layout of H2 and H3 there not nearly as many ways to kill undead (at least RAW) in these two adventures as there are in H1. So while this is a good way to lower concordance, I think there should be one more way (the artifacts listed in the DMG have 2 ways to lower concordance anyway) What I propose is this: swap either "Owner is a follower of Orcus (+2)" or "Owner can cast an arcane spell (+2)" with something like "You spend 8 hours/day in the presence of a good aligned paladin/cleric Max 1/day (-2)"

Also, in connecting the adventures, the wielder might start hearing Krakavos's cries for help from the pyramid from the moment of picking up the rod, and all throughout H2

hope this helps.

Not related to the artifact but the skill challenge to end the ritual, should the adventurer's succeed, you might want to suggest that "the thing in the portal" (the trap from shadowfell's final encounter) should be eliminated.

Good input. I have added your ideas. I really like the connection to Karavakos. That would allow some roleplaying. I will put in a chapter about that in the H2 conversion part.

I have also added a credit section in the beginning to you guys who have helped me with new ideas or concepts to build the story stronger.

Show

I have added the letter Ninaran have in the "Dead Walk" encounter. Then I added a letter that connects Kalarels doing with Paldemar, even though his identity is not revealed in it.

Show

i will begin running H1 tommorrow with my regular group (with the updates from this and others) and see if there's anything more that should be added. stand by