Alternate warlock pacts

85 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a new group under my DMing wing, and two of the players wanted to be warlocks. however, they don't want to have any of the pacts in the PHB. One found the Necris pact, and is happy with it. Still, the other warlock player wants another new pact be made. However, while I am a brilliant DM, I'm not good at making a new class, or even any more than a few new powers for a class. So, I would be grateful if someone could make a new pact. Still, I did have a few ideas, as the quote talks about making pacts with great entities. Here are some suggested pacts:

1. Angel pact, made with angels

2. Dragon pact, made with Ancient Dragons (got the idea from the dragon pacts in the 3.5e Dragon Magic)

3. Mind pact, made with mind flayers or Incredibly powerful psions

4. Ectoplasmic pact, made with mysterious entities made of ectoplasm
I'm curious: are the unhappy with the fluff of the existing pacts, or are they unhappy with the mechanics? If it's the former, they could very well just reflavour the given pacts to suit the fluff they want. So, Star Pact become "Heavenly Pact", but all the powers remain the same (perhaps changing some of the energy types to radiant). Or Fey Pact becomes "Psi Pact", or Infernal Pact becomes "Draconic Pact". This might satisfy your players needs. However, if it's the mechanics they don't quite like, then you'll have some more work on your hands, creating some pact powers, as well as deciding what an appropriate pact boon would be.
They're unhappy with the fluff AND the flavor. and unfortunately, I'm probably not going to be able to satisfy their wants. I might be able to make a pact boon and MAYBE a pact at-will, but beyond that.... I'm not able to do much more. I'm not going to be able to make powers for levels 1-29. I might be able to create paragon paths for them, though. In any case, I made this thread so, if people wanted to, they could create pact powers, and maybe a boon, not to sound lazy.
Anime Pacts, made with Goku and Naruto you now have the ability to channel tremendous amounts of ki. You can now destroy entire planets with a mere gesture or change into hot chicks.
Making a pact with angels is a bit odd, since angels are essentially extensions of a deity - anyone making a 'pact' with them would more likely end up as a cleric than as a warlock.

A dragon pact is pretty easily covered by the Infernal one, while the Fey pact largely covers a mind-related one and Star already involves mysterious ectoplasmic entities on some level.

The Forgotten Realms book has the Dark Pact; maybe that would be more up their alley.

Will these be 1st level characters, or will they be starting at some higher level? It's probably easier to do this if they're 1st, since you'll have fewer powers to worry about.
Here's a quick try at an angelic pact ... I'll tweak it later when I have more time:

Moved to its own thread Warlock Astral Pact
Astral Pact
Holy Rebuke: You know the holy rebuke at-will spell.
Astral Wings: When an enemy under your Warlock's Curse is reduced to 0 hit points or fewer, you gain a fly speed of 3 (hover) that you can use during your next turn. Increase your fly speed by 1 for each additional enemy under your Warlock's curse that is reduced to 0 hit points or fewer before the start of your next turn. If you reduce an enemy under your Warlock's curse to 0 hit points or fewer during a turn where you have flight, you do not have to land between turns; otherwise you float to the ground without taking falling damage if you don't end your turn on solid ground.

Heroic Tier Feats
Improved Astral Wings
Prerequisites: Cha 15, warlock, astral pact
Benefit: Your Astral Wings now grant a base fly speed of 5.

Paragon Path
Angelic Incarnate

Prerequisites: Warlock class, astral pact

Angelic Incarnate Features

11 Angelic Action (11th level): When you spend an action point to take an extra action, you gain a +4 bonus to attack rolls until the start of your next turn.
11 Angelic Blade (11th level): You can use a heavy blade as a warlock implement, adding its enhancement bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls for warlock powers that use implements. In addition, you can substitute Charisma for Strength when making a melee basic attack with a heavy blade.
11 Weapon Training (11th level): You are proficient with one heavy blade of your choice.
16 Angelic Cloak (16th level): Attacks against you take a -2 penalty until you are bloodied. While angelic cloak is in effect, a creature that makes a successful melee attack against you takes 1d8 radiant damage.

Angelic Incarnate Spells

[deck=Angelic Skirmish]
Angelic Incarnate Attack 11
Encounter - Arcane, Weapon, Radiant
Standard Action Ranged 10
Target: One or two creatures
Attack: Charisma vs. AC, two attacks
Special: After the first or the second attack, you can fly a number of squares equal to 1 + your Intelligence modifier. You do not provoke opportunity attacks when moving away from the targets of your attacks.
Hit: 1[W] + Charisma modifier radiant damage per attack.
[/deck]

[deck=Angelic Warding]
Angelic Incarnate Utility 12
Daily - Arcane, Zone
Minor Action Close burst 5
Effect: Until the end of your next turn, enemies within the zone treat all squares as difficult terrain. The zone is mobile and remains centered on you for as long as you maintain it.
Sustain Minor: The zone persists.
Special: If an enemy under your Warlock's Curse is reduced to 0 hit points or fewer you can sustain this power as a free action the next time it needs to be sustained.
[/deck]

[deck=Angelic Storm]
Angelic Incarnate Attack 20
Daily - Arcane, Implement, Radiant
Standard Action Close burst 3
Target: Each enemy in burst
Attack: Charisma vs. Reflex
Hit: 3d8 + Charisma modifier radiant damage. In addition, you deal your Warlock's Curse extra damage to each target you hit that is under its effect.
Miss: Half damage and you do not apply your Warlock's Curse extra damage.
[/deck]
I had an BBEG for our first few adventures that was a "Hoard Pact" Kobold, basically a warlock granted power by a Dragon, with the stipulation that they must guard the dragon's hoard. He was a potent bugger, until the Faelock PC figured out that if the hoard was disturbed at all he would loose most of his power.
Reflavour and Refluff an existing pact. Change the Boon, and any associated effects but keep the Hit and target lines.

Slight changes to the Keywords and you've got a brand new pact. It's fairly simple actually... Things are pretty modular.

And have your players heard of the Dark Pact? Plus the expansion of the Star Pact.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
@ wyld_mutation, They don't really want just a reflavored pact, or just a new pact boon. Still, the Angel pact Rikiji made MIGHT satisfy them. Also, Most of my players tend to love the material on House rules more than the Wizards- produced stuff.

@Neutronium_Dragon. The Fey pact CAN be reflavored to fit the mind pact, but they want mostly original material. The dragon pact could be reflavored, when you look at it at a glance, but it would have to encompass ALL the dragons, not just the red dragons. And lastly, to clarify, the beings in the star pact are distant, otherworldly, NON-ectoplasmic beings.
Ignore the names, and the flavour, and look at the mechanics for a second. A lot of the currect fey pact powers, at the least, have charm and psionic-like effects (just look at Eyebite). If you use those abilities, change their damage types to psychic, then you're set for a Mind pact. Maybe you might wanna change the boon to fit, though I'm not sure what would be appropriate. Still, it seems like your players are trying to make you do a lot of work for very little mechanical benefit.

As for the Infenal->Draconic reflavouring, take some of the powers and change their damage types to cold, acid, poison, whatever, in order to fit the various dragons. In fact, make the boon do something different for each colour of dragon, depending on which one the player made the pact with, and then change the damage type of all the characters powers to the appropriate type for that dragon colour.
It wasn't built specifically for warlocks, but in my Shapeshifter custom class thread (link in sig), I created a pact for a paragon path. This Primal Pact could easily be allowed for a standard warlock, although you would need a paragon pathc for it as well as powers.

http://community.wizards.com/play-by-post_haven The Play-by-Post recruitment hub for the forums. Stop by, join us, and sign up for some games while you are there

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
My solution?

If they want a custom pact they make it themselves, and they clear it with your before they get to play it.

I don't create anything I'm not interested in. Just tell the players that if they want a truly new pact they'll have to make it and balance it. Then ask you if its OK. (To prevent any super-synergestic abuse, or clearly OP powers)
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
Well, Wyld_mutation, I WOULD ask them to do that, except they, like I, lack the ability to make a whole set of powers for levels 1-29, the boon, and the pact paragon. Still, I do undrstand your point
4. Ectoplasmic pact, made with mysterious entities made of ectoplasm

Hey Pyromancer, I just found my heroic-tier write-up for an Ancestral Pact. I'm not going to format it cause it would take too long, but if you want a WORD copy, let me know. Hope you and your players get some use out of it, and let me know if you do playtest it - nobody has yet.

ANCESTRAL PACT
You have sworn to honor your ancestors by completing that which they could not, or carrying on a sacred duty. While these ghostly spirits support you in your endeavor, they are not wholly beneficent. Hungering for the world of the living, they seek to act out through you, and can be domineering, vengeful, and manipulative. Only completion of their mission – through you – will grant them final respite; until that time they exist in limbo, looming shades in your family’s memory.

You call upon powers that haunt your foes with ghostly spirits, provide you with supernatural insights, and blur the boundary between life and death. Ancestral pact spells require you to endure the physical trials the spirits demand of you (Constitution), and also to have the force of personality required to keep the more aggressive of those spirits from possessing you (Charisma).

Revenant: You know the Revenant at-will spell.
Ancestral Memory: You have the Ancestral Memory pact boon. Your enemy’s fall grants your ancestors a moment of lucidity, and they whisper secrets to you from the Shadowfell.
When you reduce an enemy under your Warlock’s Curse to 0 HP or fewer, you may make a Knowledge check as a free action with a +5 bonus (including trying a failed Knowledge check again) on something pertaining to your current situation.

Powers

Revenant Warlock (Ancestral) Attack 1
A vengeful ghost momentarily takes form, lunging at your foe, while you linger in the sanctuary of your ancestor’s embrace.
At-Will ♦ Arcane, Implement
Standard Action, Ranged 10
Target: One creature
Attack: Cha vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d6 + Con damage, and you are insubstantial to the target until the start of your next turn.

Aegis of the Ages Warlock (Ancestral) Attack 1
Ghostly defenders come to your aid, repelling an oncoming attacker with searing light.
Encounter ♦ Arcane, Implement, Radiant
Immediate Interrupt, Ranged 10
Trigger: An enemy makes an attack against you.
Effect: Gain +2 to a defense of your choice against that enemy’s single attack
Attack: Cha vs. Will
Hit: 1d6 + Cha radiant damage, and push the target 1 square
Ancestral Pact: The bonus to your defense is equal to 2 + your Charisma modifier.

Spirit Swarm Warlock (Ancestral) Attack 1
Spirits swarm about your enemy, attempting to drag them to their doom.
Daily ♦ Arcane, Implement, Necrotic
Attack: Cha vs. Fortitude
Hit: 3d8 + Cha necrotic damage, target is knocked prone, and you slide the target 2 squares.

Ancestral Guidance Warlock (Ancestral) Utility 2
Ghosts whisper to you, showing you where to strike your enemy at their weakest.
Encounter ♦ Arcane
Minor Action, Personal
Effect: You learn one vulnerability of your current foe(s). If your foe(s) have no vulnerabilities you instead learn their weakest defense (AC, Fortitude, Reflex, or Will).

Shades Warlock (Ancestral) Attack 3
Ominous shades erupt from the ground to engage your foes, consuming all light.
Encounter ♦ Arcane, Implement, Necrotic
Immediate Reaction, Ranged 10
Trigger: One creature, or two creature no more than 5 squares apart from each other
Attack: Cha vs. Reflex, one attack per target
Hit: 1d8 + Cha necrotic damage, all non-magical light sources within 10 squares of your enemies are extinguished, and if the target uses a power with the “radiant” keyword on its next turn, it takes an extra 1d8 + Cha necrotic damage.
Ancestral Pact: Creatures adjacent to the target(s) take necrotic damage equal to your Charisma modifier.

Twilight Battlefield Warlock (Ancestral) Attack 5
You bring an area of the world closer to the Shadowfell, allowing ghostly warriors to cross between the veil and fight once again.
Daily ♦ Arcane, Implement, Necrotic, Zone
Standard Action, Area burst 2 within 10 squares
Effect: The burst creates a zone of a phantom warriors – anyone within is treated as being in difficult terrain. Creatures entering the zone or starting their turns there take 2d8 necrotic damage.
Sustain Minor: When you sustain the power you make a secondary attack.
Secondary Target: Each creature within the zone
Secondary Attack: Con vs. Will
Hit: If the target dies within the zone, they return as a phantom warrior (MM p.116), fighting for you until the end of the encounter.

Luminous Apparition Warlock (Ancestral) Utility 6
A shining angelic spirit appears over your shoulder, creating a nimbus of blinding light while sheltering you and your allies from harm.
Daily ♦ Arcane
Standard Action, Personal, Aura 5
Effect: One enemy within the aura within your line of sight is blinded (save ends). You and your allies within the aura gain +1 AC and Will defenses. The spirit may communicate with you while you maintain the aura, giving you information or advice.
Sustain Minor: You may maintain the aura for up to 5 rounds.

Shroud of the Ancestors Warlock (Ancestral) Attack 7
You are enveloped in haunting mists which conceal you but your enemies are hounded by the spirits of their displeased ancestors.
Encounter ♦ Arcane, Implement, Illusion, Necrotic
Standard Action, Close blast 3
Effect: You and all allies within blast gain partial concealment
Target: All enemies within blast
Attack: Con vs. Will
Hit: 2d6 + Con modifier necrotic damage
Ancestral Pact: Your ancestors provide you alone with total concealment.

Fetters of Disobedience Warlock (Ancestral) Attack 9
Ghostly fetters appear around the feet of your foe, who feels the burden of past misdeeds.
Daily ♦ Arcane, Implement, Psychic
Attack: Charisma vs. Will
Hit: Until the end of your next turn, whenever the target attempts to move toward you or your companions, it takes [number of squares moved]d8 + Con psychic damage and is slowed (save ends). Likewise if the target attempts to attack you or your companions it suffers 3d8 + Con psychic damage and is weakened (save ends)
Sustain Minor: Make a Charisma vs. Will attack against the target. On a hit, the effect continues. On a miss, the effect ends.

Spirit Mounting Warlock (Ancestral) Utility 10
You momentarily allow an ancestor to possess you, hoping to use it to your benefit. However, you risk losing your free will in exchange for the spirits’ power.
Daily ♦ Arcane, Implement
Standard Action, Area Burst 2 within 10 squares
Effect: You are possessed by a ghost. You gain a temporary at-will power (from any class) of your choice and further benefits corresponding to the ghost’s motives…
Burial: The spirit seeks to lead you to its body so that it might be given a proper burial, and is constantly moving, no matter what the circumstances. You gain +4 Constitution and Wisdom, Darkvision, and the form of Terrain Walk most appropriate to your current environment. Instead of Terrain Walk the DM may allow you a suitable feat.
Flesh: The spirit seeks to have a good time, to be raucous, to live again for a time, and will do whatever it takes to enjoy itself. You gain +4 Dexterity and Charisma, an extra action point, and anytime you make a save roll two dice and take the higher value.
Revenge: The spirit seeks revenge on a particular target, and is willing to sacrifice anyone, including you, to achieve its goal. You gain +4 Strength and Intelligence, ignore the first 5 points of damage you suffer from every attack, and inflict +5 damage on attacks against the object of the spirit’s revenge.
Special: At any point during the possession, the spirit can attempt to make you do what it wants – you must make a save, and if you fail the spirit gains control over your actions that round. Likewise, in order to end the possession, you must make a successful save. If you choose not to, or are unable to, end it, the possession lasts for the duration of the encounter.
Anime Pacts,

I raged and would rage a second time.

My favorite homebrew pacts were the idea of an Ancestor Pact (for Con-based dorf warlocks, their at-will is eyebite-style, but gives insubstantial versus that foe instead), and a Death Pact.

I hope to see a Dragon Pact, especially for kobolds, cuz its fluff appropriate. Hopefully it'll use Con...

"Tiefling Race: Play this if you want to have a dragon horns and tail and have the fiery blood of dragons in your veins"
Deinos,

I was looking at your sig and not sure if you saw it but Twofold Pact was changed in the final release of the Dragon mag to no longer require Tiefling as a prereq.
Quickleaf, nice job with the ancestral pact. Though no one in my groups has become an ancestral warlock, a rogue in one of my groups has multi-classed and is using feats to take ancestral pact powers. Anyone have ideas for the dragon pact?
Moved Astral Pact to its own thread: http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1085834

I'm starting to add powers to it; hopefully it will fill out by the end of the week.
Hmmm... Why don't you list which pacts they'd like?

I can come up with stuff for you, I don't have much else to do.

The sorceror I've made feels kinda warlocky you could show them that and say they can rename it. (Melee striker...)
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Well, Let's see the original list of pacts:

1. Astral.... being made

2. Dragon.... stil waiting

3. Mind.... being made

4. Ectoplasmic.... still waiting.

Just thought I'd put this out there if anyone wants to work on any of those pacts,
Hmmm... Ectoplasmic...

How should that be treated? Pacts with ghosts? Or with the Aether?
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Perhaps ghosts, or maybe beings of ether. Like, maybe the spawning of the gods out of the Astral sea created powerful Ectoplasmic beings that you may make pacts with
Hmmm...

Well whether or not I get it done anytime soon is pretty hit or miss. But I'll try my hand.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Thanks for considering the pact. I've seen your classes and stuff, and they're really good.
Now I get my ego stroked on other people's topics?!

I may soon rule the world.[/topicderail]

Anyway... Gotta decide how to do it if I'm gonna make it.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Like, the flavor, or the mechanics?
Both.

But I have some ideas.

Mostly involving necrotic, cold, and force damage.

And lots of insubstantial and phasing.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
I may have an idea for a pact not on your list. The Death Pact, a pact with the reaper himself. You interested?

http://community.wizards.com/play-by-post_haven The Play-by-Post recruitment hub for the forums. Stop by, join us, and sign up for some games while you are there

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
Despite my earlier support of merely reflavouring pacts, I wouldn't mind trying my hand at creating a homebrew Draconic pact. I'm basically thinking that the colour of dragon you make the pact with will give you access to their energy type, which will be added as bonus damage to (Draconic) encounter powers and such. I'm not sure what the boon will be, but I'll probably stick with the energy-type theme somehow. It'll be Con-based, for sure. Utility powers might involve minor polymorphs (claws and wings, anyone?), whereas attack powers will most likely be blasts and areas. I guess this would actually lead the draco-lock to be kinda controller-ish. Thoughts anyone? Suggetions?
@ veritascitor, yea, but perhaps instead of adding the energy type , perhpas that could determine the energy type?

@ Wyld mutaton, I think the death pact has already sorta been made. Though, it's called the Necris pact. Also, the class the Death Knight takes that concept. Still, it's a good idea.
I hadn't seen the Necris pact, nor have I given the Death Knight an in depth inspection. Just and idea I had.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
Its ok. I was just notifying you on it. Also, you might want to look on my thread about a possible book being made.
<,< >,>
*ahem!*

I was curious bout advise on reflavoring and slight modifications of the Star Pact to turn it into a Moon Pact. Would work great for one of my players who has a Human Star Pact Warlock that follows Selune.
Deinos,

I was looking at your sig and not sure if you saw it but Twofold Pact was changed in the final release of the Dragon mag to no longer require Tiefling as a prereq.

Ahhh yes. The Watchers are pleased.
I was curious bout advise on reflavoring and slight modifications of the Star Pact to turn it into a Moon Pact. Would work great for one of my players who has a Human Star Pact Warlock that follows Selune.

Perhaps you would change it so that the pact boon would heal her every time an enemy falls. Anyways, are you looking for a starlock that is more like a cleric of Selune, or just has a pact?
Anyways, are you looking for a starlock that is more like a cleric of Selune, or just has a pact?

The only thing cleric like about him is his penchant for preaching the word of Selune, other than that he is pure arcane "make them go boom" type.
Well, I would actually suggest the Astral Pact, made by Rikiji. Your warlock may say that he made it with an Archangel close to Selune. Then, use these powers:

Moonbow Warlock Attack X

Standard Action Range 15

Target: Three targets

Hit: 2d6 + Cha radiant damage.

Lunar Explosion Warlock Attack 29

Standard Action Burst 5

Hit: 8d6 + Cha modifier radiant damage. ongoing radiant damage 3 (save ends).

Effect: you and your allies regain hit points equal to 5 + Cha modifier damage.

Also, If you want even more of a Selune feel, you can subsitute Warlock's curse for Channel Divinity.
Anyways, anyone have ideas for the Dragon Pact?
Anyone?
No ideas for powers, but I've got a pact boon. Using Frightul Presence, then reduc\ing it to a simple fear based penalty to attack rolls.

When a cursed creature dies, all enemies within 3 squares of that creature suffer a -2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of your next turn.

Add on a feat to expand the range to 5

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote: