Lords of Creation: the OOC

3294 posts / 0 new
Last post
As some of you may remember, the old 3.5 boards played host to the single, greatest forum game ever devised: Lords of Creation. In this play by post activity, the players play the role of gods, creating a world and interacting with other gods with cataclysmic (for the mortals, anyway) results. The end product of Lords of Creation is a playable campaign world, complete with geography, races, history, and a rocking pantheon. Best of all, the history of a Lords of Creation setting is totally organic; every ancient war, long dead race, and primordial event has actually been played through, not just made up.

Here are the rules of the game.

The Rules

Gods use Power Points (PP) to influence the world. Every week of real time, each player gains a number of PP proportionate to his god's power and level of influence; gods with many great works and armies of worshippers will gain PP faster, as will those who conduct great roleplaying and help influence the world. Your weekly PP starts at 4, and-if you've been playing well-can be as high as 9. PP is assigned by the game's admins.

You can spend PP to conduct various actions. Some example divine actions, and their corresponding PP costs, are as follows:

Shape Land (minor) (1 PP): Glykllivar smote her spear into the ocean floor, causing a volcano to erupt from the spot. The lava flowed and then hardened, creating an island.

Nourish Land (1 PP): Wherever Artheyan's tears of grief fell upon the land, grasses and shrubs sprang up, bringing new life to this formerly barren land.

Nourish Populace (1 PP): The prayers of the villagers were answered that year; their newly planted fields flourished beyond measure. Their population and wealth began to increase, allowing them to expand northward and colonize new lands.

Teach Populace (1 AP): The Sage appeared to the elven shamans in their dreams, teaching them the making of certain artifacts. When they awoke, they began scribing their magic on parchment, to make spellbooks and scrolls; the first Wizards had appeared.

Shape Land (Moderate) (2 PP): Kur-ah strode along the center of the world, magma dripping from his body. Where it hardened, mountains formed, creating a new chain of hills and cliffs going across the continent.

Create Beasts (2 PP): From her divine realm, Artheyan looked down upon the wild horses that dwelt in her green fields. She raised her hand skyward, and several of the horses darted upward, using their new, feathery wings to fly.

Guide Populace (2 PP): Morintu sent his exarch to preach to the primitive humans. Soon, these people were worshippers of Morintu, and sent armies to the nearby elven lands to conquer them in his name.

Shape Land (Major) (3 PP): Amon decreed that a new continent would appear...and so it did.

or

Meanwhile, Kyrinian stole a handful of fire from Kur-ah's volcano, throwing it into the sky to create the sun.

Create Concept (3 PP): Lexius drew a complex diagram across the map, using preexisting landmarks like islands and rivers as part of his immense sigil. As he completed the diagram, power pulsed through the bones of the world, and arcane magic was unleashed freely for anyone to use.

Create Populace (3 PP): When Britmara bathed herself in the cool lake, her power and wisdom took form amid the water. When she left the pool, so too did a newborn race; the werewolves.

Create Exarch (3 PP): Morintu took the mortal Icoscol into the sky, and allowed him to overlook the mortal world from above. "This can all be yours, someday."

Create Artifact (3 PP): Kakavindus sat down in his dark palace, and began creating an ebony mask. He poured all of his cunning, malice, and lust for power into the artifact, imbuing it with terrible powers. This artifact could be used by gods and mortals alike to achieve awful things.

Create Plane (4 PP): Ooulzoth took one of his aberrant beasts and made it grow to a colossal size. The creature was now big enough to house entire armies within its body, and Ooulzoth built his palace within its stomach.

Create Avatar (4 PP): There was a flash of eldritch lightning, and a silvery, iridescent figure walked the mortal world.

Create God (4 PP): Glykllivar and Kyrinian were married. Not long after, the goddess Celeste was born.

Whenever you spend PP, you must be very specific about what you are doing. Artifacts must have their powers listed, races must have an origin point, etc. Also, you can't hoard PP; every week, you lose any leftover PPs you have and start anew. Also, keep in mind that you can share PP with another god for a big, joint project; creating a plane is much easier when each god only spends 2 PP, as long as the two are willing to share their creation.

Sometimes, gods will fight. The Attack God action costs 1 PP; you can't spend extra PP to increase the power of your attack. The victor is decided by comparing the Combat Bonus of the two gods.

-Your base combat bonus is equal to your base PP for the week. For instance, if you received 6 PP this turn, your god has a starting combat bonus of +6.

-You can have up to eight exarchs or artifacts aiding you in battle at a time (for a maximum bonus of +8). You can create as many artifacts or exarchs as you like, but you can only use eight of them at once in combat. Keep in mind that only artifacts SPECIFICALLY designed to be weapons can grant you this bonus.

-Fighting within a plane you created grants a +2 Divine Realm bonus.

-If gods fight as a team, they add their bonuses together into a single number.

Note that you may NOT kill another player's god unless that player gives you his or her permission OOC beforehand. If you defeat a god whose player isn't willing to give him up, than that god is subdued without being killed.

Currently, the admins of this game are myself and delfedd. If you wish to join the game, PM one of us, and we will assign you a domain (such as Earth, Agriculture, or War) to be the god of. You can broaden your god's domain by using the Create Concept action, or by stealing a sphere of influence from another god. At the start of the game, the world is dark, barren, flat, and totally empty. The map will be posted shortly.

When you are approved to join the game, post your deity on this thread in the following format:

Name:
Domain:
Alignment:
Physical Appearance:
Symbol:

The game will begin as soon as we have enough interest. Now, let's get this show on the road.
Agrilnost
Water and Air
Unaligned
Agrilnost is a many headed being that rides on the water as a mist. When angered, he breaks upon his foes like the ocean with teeth like the frozen wind. Each head is shaped like a dragons head filled with a huge gaping maw and hundreds of teeth. His body is like a great big stormcloud, hiding crackling lightning in the folds.
Agrilnost's symbol is a blue diamond with a dozen or so tendrils that seem to writhe as one looks at it.
Agrilonst will be playing the role of creator god. In order to create a few other gods to start out, he will be allowed to start his first week with 9 AP. This is necessary to get the game moving. After that, he will follow the same rules as everyone else.

Applicants welcome.
Name:Ueborroth
Domain:Ocean, Aberrations, Knowledge, Arcane/Magic.
Alignment:Unaligned
Physical Appearance:When he chooses to, Ueborroth manifests as an undulating, oozelike mass, many miles to a side. Since his primary site of manifestation is in his oceans, this is no problem. Many thousands of eyes and tentacles dot his enormous hulking form, and often two or more combine to form larger ones for whatever purpose necessary, before splitting into many hundreds more. When size is a limitation, Ueborroth manifests as a squidlike terror, a floating mass of tentacles, or an enormous eye - but no matter his form, two features remain prolific - tentacles and eyes.
Symbol: The symbol of Ueborroth is a cyan rune in the shape of an oval within a circle, joined by three lines between them (spaced equally apart). When drawn stylistically, most choose to depict the outer circle as composed of tentacles.
Name: Ongor
Domain: Earth
Alignment: Unaligned
Physical Appearance: A gigantic, burrowing animal, usually an earthworm or ankheg, with skin flecked with stone and minerals.
Symbol: A perfect, black sphere.
Name: Thrael'kriss
Domain: Beasts, the Cycle, Death, Shapeshifters
Physical Appearance: Manifests as a hulking werebeast, Accompanied by a hushed awe as the natural world pays homage. Possesses an aura of fear, the feeling of inevitable death at the hands of the hunter.
Symbol: A blood red crescent moon, upon which is inscribed the phrase "All is prey" in primordial runes.

Notes: Thrael'kriss is a god of the hunt. A god of death as part of the natural cycle. He has particular affinity for shapeshifters, and shows preference for creatures capable of multiple expressions of themselves.
Lycanthropes
[deck=Lycanthrope]
Natural Humanoid (+special)
Average Height: 5'10˝–6´4˝
Average Weight: 170–240 lb.
Ability Scores: +2 Special, +2 Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares (+special)
Vision: Low-light
Languages: Common, (Primordial)
Skill Bonuses: +2 Perception, +2 Athletics
Shapeshifter: You have the Shapeshifter racial power.
Natural Weapons: Your natural weapons in hybrid form deal 1d6 damage.
Blood Frenzy: When Bloodied you have a +1 bonus on damage rolls.
Wild Hunter: You ignore difficult terrain wen shifting.
Pack Tactics: Whenever you flank an enemy each of your allies flanking that enemy gains a +1 bonus on damage rolls against that enemy.

[deck=Shapeshifter - Lycanthrope Utility]
Your form wavers and a new one appears.
At-Will - Racial
Minor Action - Personal
Effect:You assume one of your alternate forms.
[/deck][/deck]
Creating a Lycanthrope
A lycanthrope is a creature which can assume a beast form.

A lycanthrope's beast form may be any medium sized natural beast that does not have a fly speed (within reason). A lycanthrope has the subtypes of its beast form regardless of what form it is in. If its beast form has the aquatic subtype the lycanthrope has a swim speed equal to its land speed as well as the Aquatic subtype.

A lycanthrope has a +2 bonus to the highest ability score of its beast form as listed in the MM.

There are 5 "breeds" of lycanthrope:

Brute, Controller, Skirmisher, Lurker, and Soldier.

In their monstrous form a lycanthrope determines the damage it's attacks do by level as per the damage values listed in the DMG and may not use magical items powers. (They still retain any AC and Defenses as well as Attack Bonus in their monstrous form.)

A Lycanthrope can assume a humanoid form. This humanoid form is determined upon birth and only a very few Lycanthropes can change it. It may be any medium sized humanoid (within reason). In Humanoid form the Lycanthrope loses its natural attack damage bonus.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
Name: Myxiniron
Domain: Darkness, Necromancy, Diseases
Physical Appearance: A sickly pale wormlike creature, shrouded in darkness
Symbol: A pale spiraling worm on black background
I gave an extra PP to Wyld_Mutation because those spires were very creative and world shaping, and to Delfedd because he's been playing his part very well. If anyone contests this, say so.
Why would I contest it? If I'd had a third point I proobably would have created a crystal sun... Or done something destructive...

Thanks!
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
EDIT: Stupidity.

I'm actually liking the direction this one is taking. Where as the first Lords of creation was stereotypical "I'm making deities: They're all humanoidish" and such, and the second one was "We're all hideous monsters with nigh indecipherable anatomies" this one seems at the same time more mythical and more understandable.

Also, I can see the beginning of interesting deific relations starting.
Well, the deities are representative of their spheres I guess.

Those old incarnations seem a little stereotypical for my tastes.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Name: Adahan.
Domain: Sun, Inventive, Machinery, Dreams, Music, Law, Time.
Alignment: Good.
Physical Appearance: A big spark of white and orange light.
Symbol: Two orange question marks surrounding a white exclamation mark.

Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
And so the God of Light finally shows up.

Could've used you a while ago. :D

Welcome.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
And so the God of Light finally shows up.

Could've used you a while ago. :D

Welcome.

Well, "he said, let there be light...
and there was light.

He said let there be sound...
There was sound.

Let there be drums...
There was drums.

Let there be guitar...
There was guitar.

Let there be rock." (Taken from "Let there be rock", AC/DC.)

So, it's about time there is sound, as there is light! :P

The pantheon is looking really interesting. I wonder how any gods that rule over emotions will look like?

BTW, I have to take my hat off for the new bullette. Not only is it a new spin on an old monster (I have a spin for a race myself), but it is also very well designed. It deserves a standing ovation.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
Good to have you onboard. Post IC at your soonest convenience.
I enjoy getting compliments upon my ability.

I'd say a god of a non-physical concept should be....

surreal.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
surreal.

Or sublime.

I'd say that gods of abstract concepts like emotions should probably be the more humanlike ones.
Armisael...you're the sun god. Why do you need another orbiting watchtower besides the one you were born with?
My first post. Perhaps a bit too big, or too much considering the minor action I took, but it's probably okay.

It's not over yet. though. I have a plan for the rest of my PP, after everyone else reacts to the appearance of the "new kid" and the creation of the Kahani-esque moon.
Didn't quite see all the rules. Ignore this post.
I've a little question. Considering an Exarch grants a bonus to godly combat, wouldn't an Avatar grant one too? Seems strange, since both are personifications of godly power.

Additionally, there's something I wish to know. What is the difference between an Avatar and an Exarch? Is an independent creation of a god (that is, one that is unique, has great power, and is a servant of a god, yet possesses free will and may do what it pleases) an Avatar, or an Exarch?
I've a little question. Considering an Exarch grants a bonus to godly combat, wouldn't an Avatar grant one too? Seems strange, since both are personifications of godly power.

No. An avatar is literally a fragment of the god's own power. Having the avatar with you doesn't help, because its still just you (only divided into two pieces). There's no advantage or disadvantage to having your avatar with you while you fight, because you can access that amount of power anyway.

Additionally, there's something I wish to know. What is the difference between an Avatar and an Exarch? Is an independent creation of a god (that is, one that is unique, has great power, and is a servant of a god, yet possesses free will and may do what it pleases) an Avatar, or an Exarch?

What you described is an Exarch. An exarch is a free willed, epic level being that acts as an intermediary between a god and the mortal world. For instance, Dorsaine the Ghoul King from the MM is an exarch of Orcus. Some exarchs are worshipped as minor gods in their own right (for instance, according to the MM, an exarch of Bane named Megublyet is worshipped by the goblinoids). Some exarchs were created the way they are. Others were once mortals who have been blessed and chosen by their patron god and elevated to semidivine status.

An avatar, on the other hand, is literally a divine sock puppet. You create avatars by splitting them off of yourself, control them directly and completely, see and hear through them, and can reabsorb them at will. Avatars and exarchs are usually around the same level, but are very different kinds of beings (an avatar isn't really a being at all, so much as a remote-controlled appendage).
Aaah. Just wanted to know because, by the fluff description, it seemed like Exarchs could only be mortals that ascended. It's all clearer now.
Or sublime.

I'd say that gods of abstract concepts like emotions should probably be the more humanlike ones.

Or sublemon.

Sorry. >_>;

Well, it's good to have more PP. Obviously more creativity is required on my part if I want to cover the land in my sickly spawn before anyone can stop me ;).

Oh, and I really liked those spires, Wyld. Already thinking of putting light-emitting things like that in my own campaign world.

Edit: Oh, I was also going to ask about your latest (?) post as well, Wyld. Did you create death in answer to my fish? You seemed okay with the abberant Chuul, but not my fish/plankton? Hehe.
The chuul are hunters. your fish are aberrant sickly prey.

You offended Thael'kriss' sensibilities. At least the chuul have strength (and are worthy prey for the Bulettes).

Notice I replaced them with more predatory and dangerous bottom-feeders. That aside: I have some minor changes to the spires in an upcoming post. Hopefully you like the changes when I get to them.

Hope you don't mind my jumping onto the death thing. Just wanted to expand his portfolio to reflect his predatory nature. Your fish made excelent fodder for that expansion.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
And the granddaddy of the golems appears. If nobody nabs the concept of machinery, that'll be the next step in "the plan".

Edit: And if I ever find out how Wyld made that sort of table for the bullettes, I'll post Kraid's stats.
Copied the MM, I've got it in PDF format.

You can qoute me and copy the required thing into a text file if you like.

Or I can put him together if you give me his stats.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Found it. It's

Edit: Yippie! It works! Well, time to get to work on it...

Edit2: Finished. He's a more tactical, supercharged Godforged Colossus.
Post it into the Creature Compendium, I'll then add it into the first post. That way it is easy to get to.

I believe it may be a good thing to edit Kraid into your Portfolio Post. This way it's really easy to track who's exarch and avatar is who's.

Hey delfedd or Space_Dragon... What would the point cost be to imbue something with a portion of your consciousness without actually creating anything?
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Armisael, you rename that construct RIGHT NOW, or I'll be sending a plasma-breathing dragon named Ridley to destroy it.

Erendor, what exactly are these "aberrations" you made?

To answer your question, Wyld: if you're bestowing magical properties on an object, its 3 PP for Create Artifact.
Heh, I actually thought about that boss when I was making Kraid, though the name is actually based on an old guardian from a short book saga.

And for, now, Erendor hasn't made any aberrations. He's only created the concept.
Armisael, you rename that construct RIGHT NOW, or I'll be sending a plasma-breathing dragon named Ridley to destroy it.

Erendor, what exactly are these "aberrations" you made?

To answer your question, Wyld: if you're bestowing magical properties on an object, its 3 PP for Create Artifact.

Well, I just had Ueberroth come up with the concept of aberrations in response to Wyld. So far, the only 'aberrations' have been his Chuul (which I suppose in this setting are more of a 'nautral' thing, seeing as how they're not supposed to be mutated crab things but something that Ueberroth came up with on his own...aside from that, I think Wyld was talking about the fish and plankton I made with Nourish Land - they were really weird tentacley-slimy alien fish things.

Oh and Wyld, nice work with the Primordial Bullete thing (which I just noticed). Those are crazy powerful and scary.
If there were already weird fish and chuuls, what exactly did you bring into being by creating that concept?

Sorry about getting up in arms about Kraid...I wonder if that's also what the game designers named that boss after? However, there's another issue I just noticed. Exarchs are supposed to be level 22-28 or so, whereas gods are in the low thirties. We can change that in this campaign, but if so then EVERYONE is going to have to be more powerful than I had assumed. Do we want to do that? Shall we put it to a vote?
If there were already weird fish and chuuls, what exactly did you bring into being by creating that concept?

Sorry about getting up in arms about Kraid...I wonder if that's also what the game designers named that boss after? However, there's another issue I just noticed. Exarchs are supposed to be level 22-28 or so, whereas gods are in the low thirties. We can change that in this campaign, but if so then EVERYONE is going to have to be more powerful than I had assumed. Do we want to do that? Shall we put it to a vote?

No problem about the name thing. It's just something that I found interesting, that's all.

About the Exarchs thing, that's actually mistaken. The exarchs you mention are those of demons. If I remember correctly, Moradin, for example, is a level 38 creature, and that's his avatar, not the real deal. Thus, we're more or less on the right level, about five or six less, if we assume that, as the first gods, we're more powerful than the gods that will spring up later.

And now that I think of it...it wouldn't be so strange that everyone ends a bit more powerful than normal. I've got a concept for a race that is also stronger than the normal ones (though I don't think it'll be playable), and it seems like everyone is building from the top down.
Huh. That's a rather shameful inconsistency on WOTC's part, then, since demon lords and primordials are supposed to be evenly matched with the gods according to their fluff.

About creating from the top down: you'll notice that many of the epic monsters in the MM are primordial in origin, hailing from the early days of creation. We're doing it right. A race that's more powerful than most is also fine; after all, mind flayers fit that description, and they have always been core.
And now that I think of it...it wouldn't be so strange that everyone ends a bit more powerful than normal. I've got a concept for a race that is also stronger than the normal ones (though I don't think it'll be playable), and it seems like everyone is building from the top down.

Hey, I made some fish!

They just got killed by the thousands, is all. It seems that working top-down is going to be the order of the day unless you want your weaker races obliterated in this crab-eat-worm world!
Well, when I get some more PP I'm goung to create something new.

Not telling what it is though.

What would altering the nature of the crystals be worth? Giving them life so-to -speak?

2 PP I guess?
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

What would altering the nature of the crystals be worth? Giving them life so-to -speak?

2 PP I guess?

If they are going to be simple, non-statted plants and animals, 1 PP. If they are going to be stattable creatures, 2 PP. If they're to be sentient, 3.

2 PP I guess?

Ice archons! Or crystal archons. Probably 3, as you'd make a new race. Unless they're non-sapient, in which case they'd be beasts and cost 2 PP.
Considering.

I've got two options next shot, I'm insure what to do.

If I get 6 PP (for continuing to be awesome) I'll do both.

Hint: One of my options will be as-yet unique. As in it wasn't done in 4e yet.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
I'd like to advise against making archons yet. Archons are creatures of war, and there's no real conflict so far.

You could always reflavor them, but that's just my suggestion.