Wyld_Mutation's Sin' Dorei: Fallen from power

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
First off: I'm not a WoW fanboy. I'm a Blood Elf fanboy. I have no intention of making a "Super Race" this is an effort at a balanced representation of the race. So pleas don't flame me for introducing WoW to DnD. I'm even going to modify the history as I dislike the BE history in the first place.

Traits

Sin'Dorei

Average Height: 5'2"-5'10"
Average Weight: 100-145 lbs.
Vision: Normal
Birthright of the Sin' Dorei: You are treated as a member of a class with the Arcane power source. You are trained in the use of Wands, Orbs, Rods, and Staves.
Sin'Dorei Weapon training: You are proficient with the scimitar.
Spell Siphon: You have the Spell Siphon racial power.

Spell Siphon * Racial Attack
You take a breath, and your opponent finds themselves weakened.
Encounter * Arcane, Racial
Standard Action * Close Burst 3
Target: One creature in burst.
Attack: Charisma, Intelligence, or Wisdom +2 Vs. Fortitude
Hit: The target cannot use any powers except Basic attacks until the end of your next turn.
Special: You choose the ability you use to make this attack at character creation. Increase the attack bonus for this atack to +4 at 11th level, and again to +6 at 21st level.

I'll post up fluff and feats once I've decided what they are.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
Hey! You can't add WoW to D&D that's my thing!

Also, they should have falchion proficiency and spell siphon is a lil' strong for a racial.
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

How is it strong? Standard action that stops power use? I debated whether or not it was to weak in the first place.

What makes it so strong? If you have an alternate idea you're welcome to tell me.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
I'm not sure about the Birthright of the Sin' Dorei ability, but otherwise it doesn't look to bad. And the encounter power is cool.

http://community.wizards.com/play-by-post_haven The Play-by-Post recruitment hub for the forums. Stop by, join us, and sign up for some games while you are there

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
BTW: I had a reason for Scimitar proficiency (The signature soldier for the Sin'Dorei is a Spellbreaker and they use a 1H weapon)

And Birthright of the Sin'dorei is a way to give them access to "Arcane" feats without having to be in an arcane class. It represents the total-saturation of their bodies by magic.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Are there any feats which require being part of a power source? I don't think there is. And if it's pick an arcane class, then it would allow paragon paths as well.

http://community.wizards.com/play-by-post_haven The Play-by-Post recruitment hub for the forums. Stop by, join us, and sign up for some games while you are there

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
However I'm willing to bet that come PhB 2 there will be. And there may be Paragon Paths and Epic Destinies that require a powersource.

Arcane Prodigy anyone?
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
So your setting up on the assumption that it will exist later. I don't see an issue with it then,

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
I figured that the pattern would repeat. If it doesn't my alternate idea was tyo have you choose an arcane class at character creation and you are treated as though you were part of that class.

Opens up paragon paths, feats and epic Destinies. However it gives you almost no mechanical advantage over other races.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Any reason Spell Siphon targets Fortitude instead of Will?

Also, consider swapping Dexterity as an optional ability score to key it off of with Wisdom instead-- to me it seems to fit better. It's your choice, mechanically it shouldn't make much of a difference. Any reason you have Dexterity in there?

Making it Int, Wis, or Cha would be a nice counter to the dragonborn's racial being keyed off Str, Dex, or Con, imho.

Birthright of the Sin'Dorei is pretty weird, and I don't personally think there will be many (if any) feats, paragon paths, etc, that require a power source. Maybe instead make it so that they automatically can use implements? Does anyone think this suggestion is overpowered? It gives some nice synergy with Eternal Seeker without having to pick up Arcane Initiate, although you have to wait until level 21 for it, and I can't think of any other advantages right now.
It's affecting a creatures physical fortitude not their mind. It sucks away power for a moment, leaving the enemy weakened.

As for the Dexterity thing: Blood Elves seem rather short-sighted to me. Impulsive even. However I think wisdom would be good to keep it as available to any class.

And for The Birthright: Using Implements is cool. I might even throw that in on top. It wouldn't be unbalancing as the only thing it will do mechanically is allow an Eternal Seeker to use magic properly. The ability is simply a way to remind people that the race uses tha Arcane power source. By using an ability to explicitly state it there are less rules-problems.

Doesn['t wand proficiency allow you access to wand powers? Even cross class ones?
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Using a wands power requires you to be able to use at least one power of the same power source as the wand. So having Wand proficiency, along with this arcane racial power would allow the use of a Wand's daily power. That's actually interesting synergy. I had to double check everything to make sure it worked.

If the racial power wasn't arcane, then wand proficiency would allow them to use a wand to enhance spells, but not actually use wand powers until the picked up an arcane power through multiclassing or being an arcane class.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
So what do you say about adding implement proficiency? All implements? Only some?

I'll leave the "You are an Arcane Power source character" as a way to remind people that they can use arcane wand powers and qualify for arcane feats Anyway...

Concensus for having the Birthright grant implement use?. (Note that this wouldn't allow you to use an off-class implement to alter spells as what implements a class can use are listed under the class.)
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Yeah, sounds fine. Like I said, it makes for some interesting synergy, that some players might not even notics.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
All implements or some?

I'm thinking all, it fits that they'd learn to use magic any way they can.

Oh and a paragon feat: "You may use any implement with any power that has the implement keyword" Yes it needs some rewording, but it fits the desperation I want to evoke. (You'll see why when I finally get around to the fluff.)

What would you call this weapon?:

IMAGE(http://img.qj.net/uploads/articles_module/72190/spellbreaker_qjpreviewth.jpg)
I need to know for making the spellbreaker class.

BTW: It's a throwable 1H weapon to keep it in the proper lore. Obviously Superior.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
All implements or some?

I'm thinking all, it fits that they'd learn to use magic any way they can.

Oh and a paragon feat: "You may use any implement with any power that has the implement keyword" Yes it needs some rewording, but it fits the desperation I want to evoke. (You'll see why when I finally get around to the fluff.)

What would you call this weapon?:

IMAGE(http://img.qj.net/uploads/articles_module/72190/spellbreaker_qjpreviewth.jpg)
I need to know for making the spellbreaker class.

I'd ditch the weapon proficiency, and make the Spell Breaker a Paragon path and make a Superior weapon. Or just let it count as a bastard sword.

I'd just make the Spell Breaker Paragon Path, and have the Blood Elves be Eladrin myself though.

Maybe change Endurance out for Religion?
http://guild.medialoungeca.com/index.php?action=forum The Guild I'm apart of. We're in WOW, STO, Rift and soon Star Wars feel free to register and hang out. http://sparkster11.deviantart.com/ my deviantart Wheelman of the House of Trolls, "I love it when you watch" Carrier of Section 2, 3 and 6 cargo. Resident Driver Stud God of Transportation and Lust.
They aren't religious. They're likely the leat religious race there is in WoW and I like them that way.

I'm leaving hem with scimitar proficiency, just starting to work on the Spellbreaker stuff. The weapon in the pic is an "elite" unit. Gonna be making a class for it. Full from 1-30 I think. Though I might consider making a paragon path for them.

The weapon is a 1H Heavy Thrown Superior weapon. Range 5/10 I'd think. I justr need a name (Glaive is taken)

(they're wracked with constant pain by their hunger, such that many go mad. Which is the fluff behind Endurance)
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
They aren't religious. They're likely the leat religious race there is in WoW and I like them that way.

I'm leaving hem with scimitar proficiency, just starting to work on the Spellbreaker stuff. The weapon in the pic is an "elite" unit. Gonna be making a class for it. Full from 1-30 I think. Though I might consider making a paragon path for them.

The weapon is a 1H Heavy Thrown Superior weapon. Range 5/10 I'd think. I justr need a name (Glaive is taken)

Religion also has ties to divine magic though which is why I suggested it. I do want to see your Spell Breaker Paragon Path though. Maybe make it a Swordmage Path. I always liked that much from warcraft 3.
http://guild.medialoungeca.com/index.php?action=forum The Guild I'm apart of. We're in WOW, STO, Rift and soon Star Wars feel free to register and hang out. http://sparkster11.deviantart.com/ my deviantart Wheelman of the House of Trolls, "I love it when you watch" Carrier of Section 2, 3 and 6 cargo. Resident Driver Stud God of Transportation and Lust.
It looks like a double-bladed sword to me.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
*nod* I'll Do a paragon path fiirst I suppose. However I'm gouing to attempt a full base class afterwards as an Arcane Leader. That will give you a choice.

The part of my new Blood Elf fluff is that they've fallen "out of favor" with the gods and thus religion won't be much of a fit.

It's good to note that in WoW the only reason they have priests and Paladins is because they have captured a naaru and are channeling its power. Without the captured naaru... Wel they've turned their backs onm the light. (though they probably would retain priests because not all of a priests power is from the light in Warcraft...)
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Giving this a bump to see if I get more comments.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
They don't have the captured naaru anymore in WoW, yet they still have priests and paladins. (I haven't bothered to check how their powers are being fluff-justified since this happened.)
*shrug* They're stealing it. That's the only fluff that would work.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Being the total WoW-lore junkie that I am, I would have to say that post patch 2.4, the World of Warcraft Sin'Dorei have renounced the ways of thieving it from the Naaru and have made a bargain with them, pledging their service to them and therefor gaining the light back. Basically, Lady Liadrin (the leader of the Blood Knights/Spell Guards) "redeemed" the Blood Elves.

Regardless, a race of energy-devouring, magically-saturated Sin'Dorei in DnD may not necessarily have to go through the same process.

In any event, I do like what you've done for the race. I had thought about the various WoW races, and the Blood Elves racial power always seemed to give me trouble. I feel that you've captured it in such a way that it works, and is balanced.
I haven't even finished the feats to upgrade it yet either.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
I'm not a WoW fanboy by any means either, but I'd have to agree that this is a pretty well put together race. At first I was skeptical of their racial power, but looking at it for a bit and reserving judgement, has really let me see it's balanced. Plus, it's extremely unique. Consider this very much so yoinked. Good job.
Thabnk you for the compliment. I hope you enjoy the race should you use it.

I'll have some feats posted tomorrow. I'm a little swamped by my life right now.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Not a problem. I understand how that "life" thing can be sometimes, so no rush.
I like the race.

That said, there's no way I could use it. I play DnD to get away from WoW. I only play WoW any more when I can't play DnD and I'm out of books to read. I'll keep my magic-y elves as Eladrin.

Not a bad creation, though I think Dex should be in there over Charisma. I understand it's to differentiate from Eladrin, but still. The elves of Silvermoon are an agile race, so I think Dex should be in there regardless. Your creation though.
Somone was cruising the old topics.

This is more a replacement for Eladrin than it is a "I want WoW in my DnD game."

I personally just like the racial fluff, so I statted 'em up.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Sign In to post comments