New Class: Dreadnought

71 posts / 0 new
Last post
Holding to my new general policy with my work, the details of this class will no longer be available on site. However, I have spent the last two days finding a PDF creator and a place to provide downloads from.

So, here is the link to the Dreadnought, all set up in a PDF. If you have any artwork you'd like to see in it, suggestions, or see any mistakes, please let me know. I'll still watch the thread for your comments.

The class, the Dreadnought, is a martial striker. A warrior who's only wish is to charge into combat with the biggest weapon he can get and rip his opponents apart.

http://community.wizards.com/play-by-post_haven The Play-by-Post recruitment hub for the forums. Stop by, join us, and sign up for some games while you are there

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
(Deleted)

http://community.wizards.com/play-by-post_haven The Play-by-Post recruitment hub for the forums. Stop by, join us, and sign up for some games while you are there

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
(Deleted)

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
(Deleted)

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
(Deleted)

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
(Deleted)

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
May I suggest the obvious: Berserker. If not, then maybe Barbarian, although I never understand why people who live secluded from society have to be monsters (aka mad warriors)...

I would definantly go for Berserker.

Magic Rafiq Control Deck [EDH][1vs1][multiplayer] [] Inferno Beatdown [EDH][multiplayer][1vs1][] Gwendlyn Combo/Control Deck [EDH][1vs1][] Merieke Casual Deck [EDH][multiplayer][] Roleplaying Magician class [D&D 3.5]

I disagree. In my humble oppinion "Heavy Striker" is not a class name. I know classes are only concepts, but they tend to have a name that reflects a real-life term (or something fantasy-ish like Wizard). Heavy striker would be a way of describing the class, instead of its name, IMO.

Btw, I see charisma as the third stat. Is my assumption that you are going a "I crush" way off, or is the charisma there for something else? I know Intimidate is keyed of it, but thats pretty much it for a brutal machine...

If it indeed is a berserker/heavy striker whatever you are creating, I would recommend dexterity as a third stat, thus the class would also be the first all-physical class.

Magic Rafiq Control Deck [EDH][1vs1][multiplayer] [] Inferno Beatdown [EDH][multiplayer][1vs1][] Gwendlyn Combo/Control Deck [EDH][1vs1][] Merieke Casual Deck [EDH][multiplayer][] Roleplaying Magician class [D&D 3.5]

I had considered Berserker as a name, but it struck me as way to obvious. Same goes for barbarian, with the double that barbarian is without a doubt going to be a WotC class, probably primal in power source, and I don't want any name confusion there.

Charisma is largely going to be a rider effect on powers. I avoided Dexterity because of Heavy Blade Opportunity and the fact that both existing Martial Strikers have Dexterity as a very important. Of course, if you can make some good points on the dexterity side, I wouldn't be entirely opposed.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
Well, actually the biggest point would be that charisma is more problematic. Sure, it gives will defence, which is suitable for a berserker (I will call him that), but it also gives him ability to bluff and do diplomacy, and multiclass well with artful dodger-style rogues, warlocks, paladins and warlords (this last one may be a positive side effect...depends). And regarding strikers and stats, I wouldn't care to much about that, as it could lead us into a con, wis and int pattern that makes no sense.

I would say create a concept, and fill in name and abilities after that, instead of having abilities and fill in name and concept. If a name is obvious, it is a good name

Turbulent Charge
You speed increases by 1. When you charge, you gain a +2 bonus to speed.

??? Tactics
Unstoppable Onslaught: Your Focused Onslaught class feature deals and additional 1d6 damage. When you are bloodied, all of your attacks deal an extra 1d6 damage.
Furious Storm: You gain a +1 bonus to hit per tier against the target of your focused onslaught. The first time you are bloodied in an encounter, you can immediately use an at-will attack.

Does the get both of these features, or chose one? It's not really clear. Unstoppable onslaught is too good imo. It basically gives him unconditional sneak attack with any weapon.

Furious storm looks pretty good. It's a bit better than the fighter version though.

The post with your powers is labeled 'at-will' but 3 of the 4 powers are listed as encounters. Which is it? If they are at-will, they all look good except Overhand Swing, which is a basic attack, and wild swing, which is just too good. (5d6+str at first level at-will is a bit much) If only Overhand swing is intended to be an at-will, then the other's are too week. I'd look at fighter and ranger encounters, and try to meet in the middle somewhere...

It definitely looks berzerker-ish, especially with the abilities kicking in when bloody. I agree that berzerker and barbarian are a bit trite though. How about Slayer? Kicker of Butts? Opener of the can o' whoopass? Yeah, I suck at naming... ;)
I had considered Berserker as a name, but it struck me as way to obvious. Same goes for barbarian, with the double that barbarian is without a doubt going to be a WotC class, probably primal in power source, and I don't want any name confusion there.

Actually, that's a good reason to avoid Berserker as a name as well-- there's a good chance WotC will name the 4e barbarian a Berserker instead.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that this guy is the first into battle, running into the fray screaming, and once he latches on to a particular foe, he doesn't let go or even notice other enemies around him. That about right?

For some reason this guy reminds me of a dog. Like one of the trained attack dogs. (Tangent: Ever seen Unleashed?)

Ravager? Reaver? Shock Trooper?
Siegebreaker?

Imbalances aside, he seems to be good at smashing his way through fortified defenses.
-m4ki; one down, one to go

"Retro is not new. Retro-fit is not new." --Seeker95, on why I won't be playing DDN

|| DDN Metrics (0-10) | enthusiasm: 1 | confidence in design: -3 | desire to play: 0 | Sticking with 4e?: Yep. | Better Options: IKRPG Mk II ||
The Five Things D&D Next Absolutely Must Not Do:
1. Imbalanced gameplay. Any and all characters must be able to contribute equally both in combat and out of combat at all levels of play. If the Fighters are linear and the Wizards quadratic, I walk. 2. Hardcore simulationist approach. D&D is a game about heroic fantasy. I'm weak and useless enough in real life; I play RPGs for a change of pace. If the only reason a rule exists is because "that's how it's supposed to be", I walk. I don't want a game that "simulates" real life, I want a game that simulates heroic fantasy. 3. Worshipping at false idols (AKA Sacred Cows). If the only reason a rule exists is "it's always been that way", I walk. Now to be clear, I have no problem with some things not changing; my issue is with retaining bad idea simply for the sake of nostalgia. 4. DM vs. players. If the game encourages "gotcha!" moments or treats the DM and players as enemies, adversaries, or problems to be overcome, I walk. 5. Rules for the sake of rules. The only thing I want rules for is the things I can't do sitting around a table with my friends. If the rules try to step on my ability to roleplay the character I want to roleplay, I walk. Furthermore, the rules serve to facilitate gameplay, not to simulate the world. NOTE: Items in red have been violated.
Chris Perkins' DM Survival Tips:
1. When in doubt, wing it. 2. Keep the story moving. Go with the flow. 3. Sometimes things make the best characters. 4. Always give players lots of things to do. 5. Wherever possible, say ‘yes.’ 6. Cheating is largely unnecessary. 7. Don't be afraid to give the characters a fun new toy. 8. Don't get in the way of a good players exchange. 9. Avoid talking too much. 10. Save some details for later. 11. Be transparent. 12. Don't show all your cards. Words to live by.
Quotes From People Smarter Than Me:
"Essentials zigged, when I wanted to continue zagging..." -Foxface on Essentials "Servicing a diverse fan base with an RPG ruleset - far from being the mandate for 'open design space' and a cavalier attitude towards balance - requires creating a system that /works/, with minimal fuss, for a wide variety of play styles, not just from one group to the next, but at the same table." -Tony_Vargas on design "Mearls' and Cook's stated intent to produce an edition that fans of all previous editions (and Pathfinder) will like more than their current favourite edition is laudable. But it is also, IMO, completely unrealistic. It's like people who pray for world peace: I might share their overall aims, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for them to succeed. When they talk in vague terms about what they'd like to do in this new edition, I mostly find myself thinking 'hey, that sounds cool, assuming they can pull it off', but almost every time they've said something specific about actual mechanics, I've found myself wincing and shaking my head in disbelief and/or disgust, either straight away or after thinking about the obvious implications for half a minute." -Duskweaver on D&D Next
THANK YOU JAMES! I have been looking to remember the name of that movie for ages now. Thank you so much :D I was certain it was dogboy or something...

Some imbalances.

However for a name: (Death Dealer comes to mind...) Umm... I had one then Dr. Who came on. I'll remember at some point.

Oh: Battle Rage Tactics?
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
This seems to be a very forward class. Running in, killing foes, and taking names. It seems to be like a striker made for the front lines so I suggest
The Vanguard as its name. If that doesn't work then Dreadnaught is a cool name for a powerful striker class.
*trying name* Dreadnaught...

I like that, vote seconded.

Option: Death Dealer's Tactics

Seems to fit I think. Anyway...

"Lord of Destruction" Would be a nice paragon path, or "Death Dealer." With "dreadnaught" as the base class it would carry some... Murderous... Undertones.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
I would like to apologize to everybody. In my hast to post the first part before work this morning, I mistakenly used a previous draft of my work.

Focused Onslaught was missing a crucial line and doing too much damage. Additionally, Unstoppable Onslaught was also a previous version, which added too much damage. The reality was I changed it to an AC bonus in the final draft before posting it here and it has been corrected.

The at-wills suffered from some copy paste errors. All posted powers originally were at-wills. Overhand Swing was a previous version as well as Wild Swing. Both have been corrected to the final version I decided upon.

Anyways, I hope you'll still look it over and tell me what you think so far.

I've added 1st level Encounter and Daily powers, and I'll continue to work on some more additions.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
Yeah, I like the name "Dreadnaught".

No problem Unundindur. Like the movie.

For paragon path ideas:

Siegebreaker: specializes in taking down high AC enemies and other defenders. Bonus to attack if the Dreadnaught is marked. Daily attack that gets a bonus depending on the targets AC.

Ravager
: specializes in focusing on one enemy. Bonus to Focus damage if you don't ever declare another. Something like: "As long as only one enemy has been targeted by "Focus" you gain an additional +1d6 (tiered) to damage rolls."

Reaver: A couple of fear effects. Bonus to damage if target is afraid of you.

Opener of Cans of Whoopass: Action points. An ability that recharges action points in combat depending on something (first bloodied, ally uses one, something).
I've finished the Heroic powers. Anybody care to see how they look?

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
I've added Paragon powers.

james_gaines
Those look like some decent paragon path names. Mind if I steal them?

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
No go right ahead.
Your VB coding is wrong in places (Weave and slay, and the focus table) I'm not really in the mood to get into fixing things as I just reformatted my computer and am currently at 0-hour. Lost everything, which means I'm very unhappy.

Anyway: It really is great work, and an action pojnt focused paragon path would be really cool.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Damn, sorry to hear that. Thanks for the heads up on rhe codes.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
No problem.

Realized earlier today that I lost the install for WoW, so now I've been downloading the installer for about 12 hours. Today is not my day.

Maybe tomorrow will be my day? (Hopes to win... 5 bucks... wo0uld say lottery but I don't want to jinx myself)

This is going in my sig next to your other creations once it's complete.

Thabnks for the sympathy. At least rebooting gave me free norton for a coupla months.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Been really busy lately helping a friend with some family problems, but I've gone over the powers and made some changed.

Also added the first of the epic powers.

08/08/08 - - 12:42 AM
-----Changed Furious Storm from a basic atack when bloodied to a basic attack each round while bloodied.
-----Renamed Encounter 1 Weave and Slay to Seeking Blow
-----Removed the 1d6 bonus healing from the Utility 2 power Revitalization
-----Added the Fear keyword to the Encounter 3 power Frightful Blow.
-----Changed the name Encounter 3 power Step Beyond the Fray to Push Beyond the Fray
-----Changed the Daily 5 power Frenzied Clash from 3[W] to 2[W].
-----Made a minor clarification on Utility 6 Unfailing Strength.
-----Removed the basic attack from Utility 6 Focused Escape.
-----Added a note to Encounter 7 Reaving Blow stating that the target cannot become the target of your Focused Onlsaught until the beginning of your next turn.
-----Removed the bonus to hit from Encounter 7 Armor Crushing Strike.
-----Reduced the damage on Encounter 7 Flashing Whirlwind from 2[W] to 1[W] and added a +2 bonus to attack rolls.
-----Reduced the damage on Daily 15 Furious Charge from 3[W] to 2[W]
-----Added Epic Utility powers level 22

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
Just a flavor thing, but why not change the name of "Full Pursuit" to "Unstoppable". Then you have a nice theme: "Unstoppable, Untouchable, Unkillable."
Woot for Regen10. Might want to drop it just a little. I can thik of only a few other regeneration powers and most aren't that good. Regen=ConMod?
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Thats possible, but it didn't sem much to me. I can find 6 instances of PC regeneration.

Fighter Daily Utility 2 Boundless Endurance - - Stance
Grants Regeneration 2 + Con mod while bloodied.

Cleric Daily 9 Divine Power
Regeneration 5 and you and allies in the burst gain +2 AC

Cleric Daily 19 Holy Wrath
Regeneration 10 and +2 to attack rolls.

Fighter Daily 15 Unyielding Avalanche - - Stance
Regeneration equal to Con mod, +1 to AC and Saves, and adjacent enemies take 1[W] and are slowed.

Feat Melora's Tide - - Channel Divinity
Bloodied Regeneration 2. Increase to 4 at 11 and 6 at 21.

Demigod Daily Utility 26 Divine Regeneration
Regeneration equal to highest ability score.

Compared to those, 10 seems pretty tame. I originally was going to use 15, but I dropped it to 10. It's seems comparably well placed compared the the cleric daily. Still think it's a bit much?

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
OK lookingf at those it migfht be a little behind the curve. Not much but a little. Hell tack on a +1 to defenses. This guy seems almost to want to be adefender, he just isn't sticky.

Cuz looking at this...

Regeneration equal to Con mod, +1 to AC and Saves, and adjacent enemies take 1[W] and are slowed.

*shrug* +1 defenses doesn't see much. (Does that mean save rolls or the defenses? Because they used to be saves... Yet another place where they aren't clear...)
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Pretty sure it's saving throws. Power tend to say defenses when they want to mean Fort, Ref, and Will.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
What I'm saying is that they should have written saving throws instead of saves.

Just to make it clear.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
I just looked it up. They did say saving throws. I must have just shortened it when I typed it up.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
Added level 23 and 25 powers. Might added 1-2 to more 25 later.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
Added the final few tiers of powers. I'll start on paragon paths soon. Took james's advie and renamed Full Pursuit to Unstoppable.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
Paragon paths are up. Pay close attention to the 4th one Auspicious Opportunist, since it isn't class specific.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
I assume focused action is to end at end of turn?

"Confidant" should be "Confident"

True oppurtunis does not seem to have any effect: What is it supposed to do?

And one of your lvl29 powers is up there twice.

I'll take a closer look in a few.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Yeah, I noticed the power duplication. I'm going to fix it and the power duplication. ANd yeah, I'll fic Focused action.

True Opportunist let's you use 2 action point in one encounter at paragon level, and 3 at epic.

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
Made some changed, clarified Focused Action and true Opportunist, renamed Encounter 23 to remove the name duplication Unbreakable Attack.
Show
-----Numerous minor spelling corrections
-----Changed Untoppable Onslaught to give a flat +2 bonus to all defenses against your focused target and a +1 to defenses when bloodied.
-----Changed Furious Storm to give a flat +2 to hit against your Focused Onslaught an a +1 to hit with all attacks when bloodied.
-----Changed the name of Daily 1 Reaving Strike to Withering Strike, reduced from 3[w] to 2[w] + Weakened until your next turn.
-----Changed Crushing Blow to push 3 instead of 5
-----Changed the name of Encounter 1 Double Blow to Taunting Attack.
-----Changed the name of Daily 5 Retributive Attack to Deadly Riposte.
-----Changed the name of Encounter 7 Reaving Blow to Focused Blow
-----Changed the name of Encounter 7 Flashing Whirlwing to Celeritous Flurry
-----Changed the name of Daily 19 Strength of Stone to Strength of Steel
-----Changed the name of Encounter 23 Reaving Slice to Deadly Focus
-----Changed the name of Encounter 23 Fearsome Whirlwind to Fearsome Offensive
-----Changed the name of Encounter 23 Adamant Guard to Unbreakable Attack.
-----Changed the name of the class feature Tubulent Chagre to Rapid Assault. Changed it to provide +1 to speed only.
-----Added feats

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
Sign In to post comments