Post your map

152 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rizen_Isstaria, your campaign world doesn't have to be perfect. I tried to do such once, and when I told my friends that I was making a world they got interested. I didn't want to start until it was perfect, but because I had mentioned I had developed a lot everyone decided to drop the current game in favor of my world. It still isn't finished, but that doesn't mean we can't have fun with it.

I need to finish some of my maps and get them posted. Maybe when I stop being lazy.

Resident Grouch and Corrupting Influence A Monster Appears I'm Black and Blue how 'bout you?

IMAGE(http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d144/Valdark/dencopy.jpg)

In photoshop.

And some campaign maps. These were also made in Photoshop then printed on Resume' cotton fiber paper then oiled and burned for effect.

IMAGE(http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d144/Valdark/tatteredmaps.jpg)

Edition wars kill players,Dungeons and Dragons needs every player it can get.

This is my world, Agrisca. I'ven't finished coloring it, so sorry about that. I've already got a thread up describing the countries.

ƸȌƷ
Here is my homebrew "Savage Coast" campaign setting. Most of the continent is jungle-like and the dominant race is the dragonborn. My players have been sent on an expedition from another continent to track down an explorer named Feredar. The entire premise is similar to H.M. Stanley and his whole "Dr. Livingston, I presume?" trek through Africa. The two nations (nations in the loosest sense, either falling apart or besieged in keeping with the points of light theme) are Naephliss, which probably most closely resembles India, and Atzal, which is loosely based on the Aztec Empire.

Comments are welcome.

Has been removed for copyright purposes.

Check out the Cartographer's Guild.
"The pen is mightier than the sword -- but only if the sword is very small and the pen is very sharp" ~ Terry Pratchett "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Laurence J. Peter "I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him." ~ Galileo Galilei Support bacteria -- they might be the only culture you have
Has been removed for copyright purposes.

Check out the Cartographer's Guild.
"The pen is mightier than the sword -- but only if the sword is very small and the pen is very sharp" ~ Terry Pratchett "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Laurence J. Peter "I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him." ~ Galileo Galilei Support bacteria -- they might be the only culture you have
FWIW, here's one of mine:

Spoiler blocks are done with [.sblock.] and [./sblock.], without the "." characters.

Also, I'd like to inquire which font you used for the naming?

Thanks. The font is called Treasure Hand, though I've applied distortion liberally to make it look more handwritten.
i do them all out by hand and then i do all the areas requiring minatures out by hand also i only use CC3 for the minatures section
then i age the hand drawn map using the tea method for good prop feel incindently i need to find a quill for even better flavour
I think you are overdoing it quite a bit.

Mostly it was intended as "post your map" not "post any map you can find".

Also, if all those are from the Cartographers Guild, you would be better off just referring to the page, because the page contains a lot more than just maps and they would probably be happy if you would not just take the maps, but rather link to them as a whole...

You have a good point. Very well.

I just cant use photoshop to save my life, so I use other's maps. It suks, but you get used to it.
Where can I get the font? I can't find it at dafont.com, which means it's rare. A google search also does not yield much.

Would it be possible to send it over via E-Mail if it is a free font?

My bad - I was doing it from memory without actually looking (I'm at work so I can't check).

It's actually called Treasure Map Deadhand:

http://www.fontspace.com/gemfonts/treasure-map-deadhand
You might want to take a look at this thrad: KLICK ME!

I have posted a short and mostly easy tutorial on how to create maps your own with not much work. You should give it a try, my artistic skills are down in the cellar, too, but maps are mostly easy when you got the hang of it.

Thanks for the link.

Great tutorial!

Maybe in some time, I'll actually be abel to put my own map up here!

Thanks
Just joined. I was going to post more maps, then below, except that I see my maps are already posted!?

I am more than a little disturbed to find my maps and others from the Cartographers's Guild posted in someone else's thread post, with no reference to the guild, or to the individual mappers. Just so you know, most of these maps are licensed CC, which means they are free to use in your own personal games. That doesn't give you permission to post them online anywhere you want - that's copyright infringement.

Seyon, you don't have permission to do so, just to let you know for future postings, elsewhere.

My maps you posted above include: Archean Trade League, Darkovia, Qashya Mal and the Lands of Crae

So here's a couple of mine, that Seyon didn't manage to thief away...

(I didn't know how to make a spoiler, so I posted links instead... most of these are big files)

Sargoseum

Genpei War Japan, 1184

Enjoy!

Gamerprinter
Continued from above ...

Seawharf:

Was alerted to this Thread.

Seawharf is a city I made many many years ago, (I think about 15 or so) for an adventure.

The original map was done in pencil on Scientific paper, and later I redid it using Profantasy's CAMPAIGN CARTOGRAHPER and the CITY DESIGNER 2 add on. I then updated it last year to CC3 and will likely update it again to City Designer 3.

To see many, many, many maps (some by WotC's own on staff Cartographers), please visit the Cartographer's Guild (link in my sig).

Thanx Again!
Dreeston and Surrounding Area:

I also got a head's up to this thread This one is mine and the region for my home campaign. It's my first ever regional map using Gimp and turned out quite well.

@Seyon
This one is CC licensed, in this case meaning it can be reposted as long as it is noted that I am the author. You'll find that many of the maps you've posted do not have that built in so it is actually violation of copyright to post them here. A number of my commissioned maps fall under that category, and they are posted in the Guild (and reposted on your photobucket account I notice with the window header "Living Airship by Kreenakal" and similar). I would suggest that you are much more careful about your use of other's intellectual property. We are all gamers and very few artists will be irritated at you downloading their images for use in your home game. However reposting them without attribution and no concern for copyright will get you into trouble fast.

You have annoyed a lot of people over there. An apology is likely to go a long way to smoothing things over and avoiding getting your photobucket account shut down. Here's the thread: http://forum.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4358

Back on to more pleasant topics, here are a few other maps from my home game, put together for use in maptool:

All of the maps in this post are CC licensed for non-commercial use with attribution.
Torstan, you wouldn't happen to have higher-res version of your maps? I've seen them over at the Guild before and I think they're awesome, but for our VTT games we need our files at a scale of around 60px per 5'...

Anyhow, to contribute a little bit, my map gallery is over at Flickr:

http://flickr.com/photos/diabloazul/sets/72157612936335463/

Of particular interest (I hope) are the VTT-ready maps of the Seven Pillared Hall and the Chamber of Eyes from Thunderspire Labyrinth.
Hello, everyone. Another Cartographers' Guild member here to claim my maps. Imperial Vendria was created by me and is all rights reserved. I am considering using it for commercial purposes and have therefore not released it for redistribution. I don't mind at all if you use it for your personal games, but I'd really appreciate it if you wouldn't repost it all over the 'net.

Mennin's Hallow & Environs is also one of mine. It is available under a Creative Commons NC-BY-SA 2.0 license. Please note the "BY," which requires that the creator of the image be attributed if the image is reused.

As everyone on this thread is well aware, making maps, while not rocket science, is not a trivial activity--it takes work and creativity. Please respect the efforts of the artists who make images for you to enjoy by respecting their wishes regarding the use of those images. We love it when people enjoy our work, but we're all selfish punks who want the credit!
@EvilKobra

Of course. There's a link to my full gallery on deviantArt in my sig. Find the map you want, go to the download button on the left and you should be able to download the map at full resolution there. If there are any that you'd like altered (no grid or contents for example) then send me a message (probably best on the CG site) and we'll see what we can do. I'm glad they are useful.

Wow, they are seriously nice maps you have over on your Flickr account. Good work!
Thanks Torstan, those versions are perfect for our setup (37" FullHD LCD --> 32"x18" at 60dpi)!

My only request would be an unlabelled version of the Golden Knight Inn. It shouldn't take more than a minute if you still have the original file... otherwise don't worry about it

Thanks again!
Actually it is already there:

http://torstan.deviantart.com/art/Golden-Knight-Inn-No-Labels-106851286

It's worth trawling around the full gallery as there are a few more bits an pieces in there that I didn't put into the maps subgallery.

Sounds like a good set up you've got there. I'd love to see some photos of it in use.
Hi Folks,
I’ve removed content from this thread because Copyright Violation is a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code of Conduct here: http://forums.gleemax.com/community_coc.php

Please refrain from using copyrighted material without permission.

Thank you,
ORC_Nashria

If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violations, click on the red "exclamation" icon by the post, this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
Just joined. I was going to post more maps, then below, except that I see my maps are already posted!?

I am more than a little disturbed to find my maps and others from the Cartographers's Guild posted in someone else's thread post, with no reference to the guild, or to the individual mappers. Just so you know, most of these maps are licensed CC, which means they are free to use in your own personal games. That doesn't give you permission to post them online anywhere you want - that's copyright infringement.

Seyon, you don't have permission to do so, just to let you know for future postings, elsewhere.

My maps you posted above include: Archean Trade League, Darkovia, Qashya Mal and the Lands of Crae

So here's a couple of mine, that Seyon didn't manage to thief away...

My apologies.

No offense was meant, and no credit was taken.
Accepted! I am sure it wasn't deliberate, more a tribute. You just have to be careful. Pointing a link to the Cartographers' Guild or even links to specific maps - is how you should do so. Don't upload them in your own posts, that's all.

I am glad you like our maps!

GP
I am more than a little disturbed to find my maps and others from the Cartographers's Guild posted in someone else's thread post, with no reference to the guild, or to the individual mappers.

Well, in fact I did mention that they were gotten from the Cartographer's GUild, but, for what its worth, sorry.
here are a couple of battle maps I've done for some cave areas. I used AutoREALM to create the jagged cave wall lines, then exported to a bitmap and did everything else in Photoshop. They were just for reference and not printing, as my group just uses a blank battle grid and whiteboard markers to draw the scene on.

The cave texture was created with the cloud and sponge filters, then recoloured with hue/saturation/brightness/contrast modifiers to taste. Grid came from the AutoREALM image but seperated from the cave walls with cut/paste. All of the other stuff on the maps was just drawn by "hand" (mouse).

A little more time consuming than using a proper mapping application, but I find I have more freedom to create what I want than having to wrestle some of the various apps.
IMAGE(http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g54/teh_capn/GoblinCamp_01.jpg)

Run for your lives!!! Giant Pacmans!!!

(sorry I couldn't resist :P )
Here's my most recent map, approximately the size of Earth, made using Campaign Cartographer 3:

I made it flat with no projection for ease of play. In other words, for gameplay purposes, we treat the world as though it were a cylinder and not a globe.
"So shall it be! Dear-bought those songs shall be be accounted, and yet shall be well-bought. For the price could be no other. Thus even as Eru spoke to us shall beauty not before conceived be brought into Eä, and evil yet be good to have been." - Manwë, High King of the Valar
Well, in fact I did mention that they were gotten from the Cartographer's GUild, but, for what its worth, sorry.

You do understand, that we're not upset anymore. The content has been pulled, our work is protected - everything is fine now.

I see you did mention the guild in the start of your post - I did miss that last time. Although its probably best not to post anyone's copyrighted material, especially without their permission (lesson learned for you), but if you had taken the extra step to say, this is from the Cartographers' Guild, this map was created by so and so, and it is licensed CC, then had you posted the map, (and done this for every single map you posted...) there may have been no issue at all. Posting our name as creators of the content is one of the rights of our CC licensing.

Now we understand that you are underage, and it was a complete misunderstanding on your part - everything is fine now. No one is upset with you. Just be careful on what you post in the future. OK?

Please visit the guild and download some more maps for your game - that's the reason we posted them to the guild in the first place!

GP
You do understand, that we're not upset anymore. The content has been pulled, our work is protected - everything is fine now.

I see you did mention the guild in the start of your post - I did miss that last time. Although its probably best not to post anyone's copyrighted material, especially without their permission (lesson learned for you), but if you had taken the extra step to say, this is from the Cartographers' Guild, this map was created by so and so, and it is licensed CC, then had you posted the map, (and done this for every single map you posted...) there may have been no issue at all. Posting our name as creators of the content is one of the rights of our CC licensing.

Now we understand that you are underage, and it was a complete misunderstanding on your part - everything is fine now. No one is upset with you. Just be careful on what you post in the future. OK?

Please visit the guild and download some more maps for your game - that's the reason we posted them to the guild in the first place!

GP

Thank God. You have no idea how freaked out I have been about this (im not a drama king though)

Its a big relief to hear u say that.

BTW: I took off the maps myself, and I might repost them with the correct names and stuff
No text on it yet, but here is one I did up yesterday. Hand draw and then color and texture in Photoshop:

This is a lower res version of the file. If anyone must have the hi-res version drop me a line.
BTW: I took off the maps myself, and I might repost them with the correct names and stuff

Seyon, just be sure and check some of those maps posted on the Guild are NOT CC licensed and cannot be distributed at all. They are posted on the CG with permission and the requirement of not being distributed online or on publication elsewhere.

In some cases, they are maps for adventure modules that haven't been published yet - posting one of those maps might get you a call from an attorney instead of a post from someone like me. Publishers are very concerned of the intellectual properties they own.

Be sure to read the post and/or thread that a given map came from. Those instructions that say, whether you can or cannot download a given map, will be stated in that thread. Please read them, so you do not make this kind of error. Nuff said!

GP
Seyon, just be sure and check some of those maps posted on the Guild are NOT CC licensed and cannot be distributed at all. They are posted on the CG with permission and the requirement of not being distributed online or on publication elsewhere.

In some cases, they are maps for adventure modules that haven't been published yet - posting one of those maps might get you a call from an attorney instead of a post from someone like me. Publishers are very concerned of the intellectual properties they own.

Be sure to read the post and/or thread that a given map came from. Those instructions that say, whether you can or cannot download a given map, will be stated in that thread. Please read them, so you do not make this kind of error. Nuff said!

GP

What GP said. No matter who you are, you need to be very careful about any image (or any kind of file you get from the net). In some cases, these images are owned by multi-million or even billion dollar corporations and they are well within their rights to sue. Now, while I doubt they would, it is within their rights.

In general, any image you see, assume that it's off limits unless the creator says otherwise via some type of license statement. Also note that Creative Commons is a set of multiple licenses, so if not sure and it is not explicitly sated WHICH CC license, get clarification before using the image anywhere other than home use.

There are of course many other licenses possible, of which is Creative Commons License only one.

Also, I happen to be one of the community leaders over at the Cartographers Guild and would welcome you or anyone else to come on over. We have some great people over there, tutorials for various software, and the people are very helpful when people ask questions.
What GP said. No matter who you are, you need to be very careful about any image (or any kind of file you get from the net). In some cases, these images are owned by multi-million or even billion dollar corporations and they are well within their rights to sue. Now, while I doubt they would, it is within their rights.

In general, any image you see, assume that it's off limits unless the creator says otherwise via some type of license statement. Also note that Creative Commons is a set of multiple licenses, so if not sure and it is not explicitly sated WHICH CC license, get clarification before using the image anywhere other than home use.

There are of course many other licenses possible, of which is Creative Commons License only one.

Also, I happen to be one of the community leaders over at the Cartographers Guild and would welcome you or anyone else to come on over. We have some great people over there, tutorials for various software, and the people are very helpful when people ask questions.

Well, I believe i learned my lesson.

Thanks for the link.

Sorry, for everything.
If you want to learn how to create a regional using GIMP, this is probably the most read tutorial for that at the Cartographers' Guild (its the most read document on the guild period!)

I don't use GIMP (free image editing application), well not much anyway, I prefer a different application.

But know this, the below linked tutorial at the guild, has been said to be one of the best tutorials on the use of the GIMP at all. These have been people who never intended to create a map. Learning the steps to produce the tutorial map gives the reader a huge understanding of the software, how to tweak things, use of special tools, etc. So its a great tutorial and worth checking out!

RobA, one of our community leaders created this!

Creating a Regional Map with GIMP

GP
As it happens, I learned something, too: If I'd bothered to embed my name and licensing info in my images, there would never have been an issue from my perspective. Future maps that I make available will have my contact info on them.

So I'm looking on this event as a positive thing for me. Sorry if it seemed like we were bringing the hammer down on you, Seyon; that wasn't the intent. At least, not from my perspective.
You can see my map at http://www.freewebs.com/avienlangley/share/WorldMapFullReduced.jpg

Lineart drawn by hand on 4 separate sheets of paper, then scanned, reassembled, and colored in GIMP. Full version is 4 times the size of the posted version and takes so much RAM my computer can barely handle it.

If anyone likes this and wants to use it for their own campaign, feel free. However, please don't redistribute this map anywhere.

I made the map for a campaign world I'm working on called Airopa. I'm making lots of custom stuff for it; I'll be posting a full campaign world package for it when it's ready. But that won't be for a while, probably.
Quick addendum: I got the scale screwed up... it's not supposed to be quite that huge. Need to re-do my math and figure out the real scale, but rest assured the 30 miles - 60 - 90 -120 on the map is WRONG.

Edit: I figured out what I did. I cut the size of my scale markers in half without changing the mile values. It's been corrected to 15 - 30 - 45 - 60 and the correct version has been uploaded.
Here's my map, it's not yet finished though. Just the outline.

Looks nice, that map of yours. Very interesting style! :D

Thanks. I tried to make it kind of medieval-style... that is, more concerned with looking artistic than perfect geographical accuracy.
Anyone have a good map of a library? I need one for a game this weekend.
Sign In to post comments