Post your map

152 posts / 0 new
Last post
Here's an older one of mine that is still one of my favorites.

Damn, that's huge.

Resident Grouch and Corrupting Influence A Monster Appears I'm Black and Blue how 'bout you?

Here we go, my 4E map (The squiggles makes it interesting).

By the by, could we get an admin to shrink or sblock loydb's map? It's nice and all, just takes up a ton of room.
My mash-up of the Nentir Vale and Elsir Vale. Plus some personal stuff... and well it's translated into German. It's inspired by the 3E FR maps.

Here is my take on the Eberron map (yeah, still not finished :embarrass )...

And an older map (about half a year old) that was a testbed for some mapping technniques (you'll find them in the maps above, e.g. the mountains:

Cheers, LT.
By the by, could we get an admin to shrink or sblock loydb's map? It's nice and all, just takes up a ton of room.

Done. Sorry about that, I didn't know about sblocks when I posted that.
There are some great maps here. One thing I would caution... look at your rivers and compare them to real-world rivers. Rivers don't, in the real world, split on their downstream course and go in opposite directions over great distances. There are many reasons for this... but other than "river islands", which are never extremely large and change relatively rapidly in the grand scheme of things, it's a good habit to not split a river on it's downstream path.

Now, that said, if it happens due to magic, or divine intervention, so be it...
What programs do ya'll use to make such beautiful maps? I someday, need to upgrade as I pencil and paper everything...or just about. Links might be better than long textblocks as I imagine somewhere, someplace, someone's done a few tutorials etc.

Again, keep the maps flowing, I think it helps on some level for us to see other folks maps etc. Would also be nice if ya'll explained a bit on "how" you came up with the map, like with terrain placement or something...gives a bit more insight especially to young DMs etc. on world creation.

Fox
re: programs

I use pretty much every Profantasy product that exists (Fractal Terrains Pro, Campaign Cartographer, Dungeon Designer, etc.), with a healthy mix of Photoshop and some occasional forays into 3D Studio Max.
I just use photoshop, as well as a small set of textures for some maps.

Cheers, LT.
Hand drawn, scanned. If I want extra stuff I'll put them into GIMP (It's like photoshop, not as good imo, but free).
Hmmm... let's see. Tools used in mapmaking..

Software: Paint Shop Pro (free trial, known as Painter X by Corel now), Photoshop - CS Lite (free lite version of photoshop, has all the essentials though), GIMP (free), Pov-ray(free), Blender (for creating 3d models, free), Vue D'esprit, Plant Studio (Plugin for Vue, let's me create any type of terrain foliage free)Inkscape (Vector Drawing Program, free), Pixarra Twisted Brush (free & pay painting program, pay editions available with even more features), and CoffeeCup Imagemapper (Free- Slices up an image and create HTML links for on-click web based cartography where clicking on the map brings you to a more detailed map where you can add more maps, text, graphics, illustrations)

Brushes: Watercolor

Markers: Pentel for color, and Pigma Microns starting at .1mm for Black & White... Both these markers use some variety of acid-free archival ink, and I have maps that are almost 20 years old that look as good as the day I drew them.

Pencils: Full set of #1 to #10 Artists pencils, though I'll use your trusty #2 for sketching out an idea
Here is a map I've been messing with, I used NBOS Fractal Mapper 6.0 to generate the shapes (exported to MS PB to clean some things up).

Its pretty simple and I've yet to add any civilization, just named major geogrpahic features for the most part and a few broad regions.

I'm...uh...not sure how to post my maps. I generally use Paint. A few random curvey shapes for continents. Put in forests and deserts using the spray paint tool. Add mountains and rivers. Draw in borders. Big gray circles for cities. Crude, but legible. The key, in my opinion, is making it look real. Put mountains wherever, for the most part, but have rivers flow from mountains to the sea. Put cities near vital passes, bays, or at the intersections of rivers (like Pittsburgh).

For a really crude world map, I make the continents, then immediately divide them up into countries. Fill each country with a different color. Ta-da! Then, later, I can copy separate sections into a new file and blow them up, then fill in detail.

If I want to give the PCs an in-world map, I'll print it, then do two things- crumple it up and unfold it several times, then spill tea on it and leave it to dry. Makes it look nice and old.
Thanks for the responses...

As for the island, I was thinking it was one of the few remaining Eladrin kingdoms, kind of the center of this particular piece of the world. The high elves would be guardian over some great sacred artifact etc. but ack, after some thought I thought it was kind of tacky.

Anyhow, keep the maps coming! I love seeing what everyone creates...definitely shows a diversity of creativity...and I am officially "borrowing" names!

Fox

Man, I really like that island. Not tacky at all, if you ask me.
I'm old school... colored pencil and artist paper. You can find a partial pic on my new campaign blog... http://mrin-prophet.blogspot.com/
Here is one of my nations along with a link to my page with several more.

Ali-Cirry
Here's the campaign setting map we are currently working on/with

and a closer pick of the Galluan Continent
I'm removing the giant island in the middle of the map.

I really like the island

I really like the island

What did you use to create Ashdar?
I used Fractal Terrains for Ashdar, then drew the rivers in Paint.
I don't have a scanner, so all I've got are these crappy pictures I took. Sorry I have to be that dude.

This is the map of my current 4e campaign.

This is a map of my old 3.5 campaign. Or at least a map of the area where all the important stuff happened.

This is one of the towns from the above map.
I used Fractal Terrains for Ashdar, then drew the rivers in Paint.

Thanks, but wont work for me. I am not on windows!
The_Beastman you should put the pictures in a spoiler block.

If you are unfamiliar with the spoiler block then I shall explain its uses.

[noparse]
Title
The stuff you wish to place within the spoiler block, so in this case it would be your pictures that take up a lot of space.
[/noparse]

and you will get some thing like this.

Title
The stuff you wish to place within the spoiler block, so in this case it would be your pictures that take up a lot of space.

The_Beastman I really like your maps. I like the perspective that you used when drawing them up.

Resident Grouch and Corrupting Influence A Monster Appears I'm Black and Blue how 'bout you?

I use arcsoft photostudio which came free with something but I may well switch to Gimp because the freebie is pretty limited. These are obviously works in progress, partly because the history of the world is still evolving and the landscape is closely intertwined with it.

The continent Great Bear

The country of Elan

The county of Morst

One interesting trick I've picked up is that if you start with your continent you can inflate and crop an image in order to zoom in on it. Then you set the cropped part of the original as your base layer and trace over the top of it to get a scaled up version.

Another trick is for getting images of campaign characters. Go to the character creation page of your favorite fantasy genre game and create a character - perform a screen grab and paste into your favorite image editor. I like to add a canvas texture to give it a nice finish.

Here are a few examples:

Rogues Gallery

IMAGE(http://fortuna.wikidot.com/local--files/mesmer-lions/mesmer-lions.jpg)Mesmer Lions
IMAGE(http://fortuna.wikidot.com/local--files/skyblue-of-lions/skyblue-of-lions.jpg)Skyblue of Lions

All pictures are from the campaign site http://fortuna.wikidot.com/
The_Beastman you should put the pictures in a spoiler block.

If you are unfamiliar with the spoiler block then I shall explain its uses.

[noparse]
Title
[/noparse]

and you will get some thing like this.

Title

The_Beastman I really like your maps. I like the perspective that you used when drawing them up.

I thought that I had done that, but I'm stupid and didn't do it right.

Thanks!
This a map of my campaign world not so sure as to what to call it. I know that this isn't the whole world just the are where the players spend their time. It spans an area roughly the size of the west or east hemisphere. Its not to flashy but gets the point across.

The perspective maps are pretty damn cool. Might try my hand at one of those; neither of my settings actually have maps.

As an aside, that Entropy map by die has just given me a random cool idea: directions being referred to as dragonhead, dragontail, dragonwing and dragonclaw rather than N/S/W/E, since that's what was used on the maps found by the locals as a stand-in for the compass rose.
I modeled my campaign directly mapping all the information on the default POL and SOW setting. In my sig you can see the forum that I compile most of that information to organize all the default adventures, history and locations. If you take a look I have two other versions of this map in here one showing the bael turath and arkhosia territories at the begining of the war and one prior to that showing dawn empires at histories dawn.

All (as far as I know) maintain perfect continuity with the information WoTC has released.

IMAGE(http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/4065/pointsofinterestgx5.jpg)
I really like The_Beastman's technique.

How do you guys have the picture up?

Do you have to upload it or something into the sblock?
"The pen is mightier than the sword -- but only if the sword is very small and the pen is very sharp" ~ Terry Pratchett "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Laurence J. Peter "I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him." ~ Galileo Galilei Support bacteria -- they might be the only culture you have
Here's a regional map for the campaign I'm working on. It's my first map, and my first campaign where I'm the DM, so I'm a little apprehensive.

And here's that same map with some tactical information:

I really like The_Beastman's technique.

How do you guys have the picture up?

Do you have to upload it or something into the sblock?

You link the picture over from another site. When typing a post there will be a little yellow box with mountains in it. Click on that then paste the URL of the image you want to put in your post. It will look something like this while you are typing it in.

[noparse]IMAGE(url of image)[/noparse]

To have the picture in the sblock all you have to do is put the image code within the sblock code as follows.

[noparse][/noparse]

I hope that this helps.

This is my current map of my homebrew setting of Malune. It still has a few relatively empty areas that I'll eventually fill in with more detail.

Here are some world maps I have started:

The world is sort of a concave disk with a top and a bottom. The first map is the top part. The big island in the center of the big, inland sea is going to be a gigantic, fortified, nation-city of the Dragonborn.

The second map is the bottom of the world, where the sun or moon never rises (though there are stars). This is my take on the "Underdark".
"god! this is the 21st century, where is my "Choke someone through the internet" button?" - Herrozerro
I've been geeking out over maps and the making thereof for a while now recently ... the amount of time I've wasted drawing maps for campaigns that I know will never happen makes me weep. Anyway, here are the two I'm most proud of. All of my settings are based on specific time periods, and I really try to go as in-depth as possible, to the extent that my games are less "tactical war-gaming" and more "immersive historical role-playing." I've been trying really hard to make them look authentic, with as many bits and pieces from actual ancient maps I can scrounge up. They're all drawn by hand, first in 2B pencil and then in 005 micron pen, then scanned into photoshop.

Here's the first one, my early Renaissance Europe map.

And here's the second one, for my current campaign, based on late Archaic/early Classical era Greece

This is my map for a giant sea in the Underdark. I will be running a substantial campaign here with my home group. It is not complete yet.

I've been geeking out over maps and the making thereof for a while now recently ... the amount of time I've wasted drawing maps for campaigns that I know will never happen makes me weep.

And here's the second one, for my current campaign, based on late Archaic/early Classical era Greece

So true and Nice Greek Map!
"The pen is mightier than the sword -- but only if the sword is very small and the pen is very sharp" ~ Terry Pratchett "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Laurence J. Peter "I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him." ~ Galileo Galilei Support bacteria -- they might be the only culture you have
My World Map: http://sinag-araw.deviantart.com/art/World-Map-107244404

Everything drawn in Photoshop with my trusted tablet. It's too big on the account that I might want to add additional towns later on.
Nice map GreenGirl!
This map was drawn by hand, then traced into MS Paint on my tablet. With perhaps one or two
exceptions, all town and feature names are taken from random Hindi words from a book I was reading.

IMAGE(http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1079/155/83/1441473557/n1441473557_30148016_997.jpg)
I don't think the image will be big enough to warrant a spoiler block. Let me know if you disagree.
smallbanner.jpg
This is a globe map of my campaign world Distoria. I've worked on the campaign for a very long time but havn't played in it yet. I long too but it must be absolutely perfect before I do. I even started writing a story taking place there (about Rizen Isstaria :blush. This world is kinda my baby.
I hand drew the map first, then used the Paint program later. Since I used Paint it's not pro material. I still like it. IMAGE(http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i231/shamurai7/Distoria.jpg)
Distoria also has a sister world Alvadark, it's about as far away as the moon is to earth. It's looks alot like Pangea but I havn't worked too much on it though.